PDA

View Full Version : What guitarists today are respectable?

311freakout
09-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Personally, I think the lost prophets have good guitarists. I also like tom morello, tim mahoney, john frusciante, adam jones, and billy howerdel.

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Lost Prophets? You're joking, right?

http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Guitar,l,746,Lost+Prophets,Shiniobi+ Vs.+Dragon+Ninja,76003

http://www.mxtabs.net/tab_versions.php?path=Guitar,l,746,Lost+Prophets,L ast+Train+Home,130316

http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Guitar,l,746,Lost+Prophets,Start+Som ething,135438

I just picked three random songs...notice the pattern...?

I could play powerchords on a PRS too....that definitely isn't respectable.

joe_bass
09-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't this be better suited in the guitar forum???

black_sabbath634
09-15-2004, 09:41 AM

http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Guitar,l,746,Lost+Prophets,Shiniobi+ Vs.+Dragon+Ninja,76003

http://www.mxtabs.net/tab_versions.php?path=Guitar,l,746,Lost+Prophets,L ast+Train+Home,130316

http://www.mxtabs.net/tabs.php?path=Guitar,l,746,Lost+Prophets,Start+Som ething,135438

they arent even good enough to use their fingers

311freakout
09-15-2004, 09:53 AM
lost prophets may not have technical guitarist, but they are **** catchy

denboy
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Steve Vai, Michael Angelo, Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Mattias Ia Eklundh, Mikael Åkerfeldt, John Frusceante, bla bla bla bla bla boring thread
(I bet half of those names are spelled wrong hehe)

joe_bass
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM

Hows that make them good.

Do you think Jack White is a good guitarist?

Within_The_Light
09-15-2004, 10:01 AM
No one mentions the mighty Buckethead?

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 10:08 AM

"Not technical" is a bit of an understatement.

I don't respect catchiness, either.

If you like the band, just say so. Don't try to defend the guitarists, they simply fold.

headshrinker
09-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Noel Gallagher is class act, not at fast or skilled as sum, but his song are great and everything is so catchy!

skipp_21
09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
DEFINATLY NOT Steve Vai he is a show-off and a ringworm, im sure one of the guitarist in Busted... yes thats right Busted have more credibality in there little toes than Vai! :chug:

On the other hand theres Paul Gilbert who just rules! :thumb:

Animus Light
09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I don't think writing "catchy riffs" makes you a respectable guitarist. At best, you're creating a harmony for the vocalist. At the worst? You just suck.

John Petrucci of Dream Theater. Amazing riffs and amazing leads.
John Frusciante of RHCP. One of the most soulful guitarists out there.
Joe Satriani. Just a god.
Michael Romeo of Symphony X. I hate his EQ, but he's definitely worthy of respect.
Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. Amazing what he does with harmony. Him and Peter Lindgren both.

Voyage34
09-15-2004, 10:48 AM

I've never seen a tab with so many 0s in it...and it's the same in all 3 songs :/

Animus Light
09-15-2004, 10:50 AM
I've never seen a tab with so many 0s in it...and it's the same in all 3 songs :/

Yeah.. He loves pedalling the D, doesn't he?

moaner
09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
that definitely isn't respectable.

Some would say, shameful.

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Yup.

Frusciante, Jones, and Morello were decent picks though.

Daniel KVX10 Rodrigues
09-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jeff Loomis, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, And any guitarist that is a technical and musical god really... they all do...

Crocto
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
dude the lost prophets SUCK and they are definately not catchy. do yourself a favor and please don't post stupid threads.

Your Tourniquet
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani... and to a more innovative extent Matthew Bellamy. John 5 needs mentioning too.

americanfootball
09-15-2004, 11:50 AM
dude the lost prophets SUCK and they are definately not catchy. do yourself a favor and please don't post stupid threads.

Just because you think they "suck", it doesn't give you the right to tell people what to do.

I like Lostprophets. A guitar tab doesn't really tell you much besides what chords are played. The songs are very good to listen to.

fender_toronado
09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
has everyone forgotten about Slash??

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 12:16 PM
A guitar tab doesn't really tell you much besides what chords are played. The songs are very good to listen to.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out.

How can someone not think Lost Prophets guitarists are respectable?

I mean, everyone has been so focused on legato, tremolo picking, and general musicality these days, everyone has forgetten the true skill it takes to play a precision three note arpeggio (with one open string) before making that difficult finger position change into an exciting chorus of two power chords (one of them being open).

It doesn't matter if it makes for a great listen. If you like them, then you like them, and thats your problem. We're talking about the GUITARISTS.

Their innovation sucks. Their writing sucks. They can play their songs fine, but that isn't saying much.

God...a Lost Prophets tab looks like binary code.

Trooper
09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Suprised no ones said the guys from the Darkness.
Justin and eh the other one.
They're good guitarists.

edit:
I got it DAN.
I knew I knew his name.

murch
09-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Nobody's said Alexi Laiho yet? Or Chuck Schuldiner?

lordofthestrings88
09-15-2004, 12:32 PM
DEFINATLY NOT Steve Vai he is a show-off and a ringworm, im sure one of the guitarist in Busted... yes thats right Busted have more credibality in there little toes than Vai!

That is serously sad if your truely belive that. You should seriously try listening to the music rather than just writeing it off as "showing off". Listen to "For the Love of God" I like to see someone try to play with that much talent or feeling.

Oh as far as talented modern guitarist go listen to Mike McCready, not the most technicaly adavnced but he's got alot of feeling in the way he plays, especialy live.

SerialKiller
09-15-2004, 12:43 PM
That is serously sad if your truely belive that. You should seriously try listening to the music rather than just writeing it off as "showing off". Listen to "For the Love of God" I like to see someone try to play with that much talent or feeling.

I think he was being a bit sarcastic....

Crocto
09-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Just because you think they "suck", it doesn't give you the right to tell people what to do.

I like Lostprophets. A guitar tab doesn't really tell you much besides what chords are played. The songs are very good to listen to.

well i don't think they suck i'm sure their songs give me enough evidence to conclued beyond a reasonable doubt that they do indeed suck. so therefore it does give me a right to tell people what to do.

also it isn't difficult to play 1 finger powerchords while complaing about how ****ty your girlfriend is.

Dan 1616
09-15-2004, 12:51 PM
lostprophets songs arent about girlfriends...

murch
09-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah, they're about their boyfriends.

fender_toronado
09-15-2004, 01:28 PM

The Black Fist
09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Jeff fucking Loomis (of Nevermore). He > Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, etc. in my view.

wyldechild71
09-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Yeah, they're about their boyfriends.

Pwned.

The guitarist(s) I respect most right now are Dave Murray and Adrian Smith, because in 20+ years they are still making music true to themselves and not the radio.

ankalar
09-15-2004, 01:51 PM
John Mayer and Jack White are great.

razorblades_and_candycanes
09-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Dimebag, his solos mainly sound the same all the time, but his style and what not is amasing in my eyes. Kerry King, Trey Azagthoth, and the dudes from Chimaira.

Floydfanatic
09-15-2004, 02:25 PM
i respect all guitarists. Except ones that disrespect me.

SmokinTheBear
09-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Jeff fucking Loomis (of Nevermore). He > Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, etc. in my view.

So true. Loomis is insane. Its a shame that you dont hear enough about him.

Amit
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM

FtLOG is the song every Vai fanboy points out when they want to talk about how emotional he is. He's done much better work like Blue Powder, I think. That song is just 7 minutes of the most boring slow tempo wank I have ever heard.

SmokinTheBear
09-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Wouldn't this be better suited in the guitar forum???

Someone needs to stop smoking pot.

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Actually, it was posted in the Rock & Metal forum and was moved here. So in fact, it was better suited in the guitar forum. Friggin newf.

(Just kidding, I love newfies)

Bread and Faxes
09-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Dimebag Darrell :thumb:

punkskametalman
09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Randy Rhoades, anyone?

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Hes dead, anyone?

Floydfanatic
09-15-2004, 03:40 PM
i respect all guitarists. Except ones that disrespect me.
i agree with you

petrucci_wannabee
09-15-2004, 03:53 PM
John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Michael Romeo(Symphony X), Adam Jones(Tool), Michael Angelo, Matthias IA Eklundh, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteem, Mikael Arkdfelt(Opeth), Andres Olbrich(Blind Guardian), Ron Thal(Bumblefoot), Buckethead, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Alexi Liaho(Children Of Bodom), Matt Bellamy(Muse), Stephen Forte(Adagio), Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius), Daniel Gildenlow/Johan Hallgren(Pain Of Salvation), Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth, Demons And Wizards), Luca Tirilli (Rhapsody), Herman Li (Dragonforce), Jesper Stromblad/Bjorn Gelotte (In Flames), Erno Vuorinen (Nightwish), Tony MacAlpine (Planet X)

wyldechild71
09-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Where the fuck are Friedman and Becker?!?!

petrucci_wannabee
09-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Where the fuck are Friedman and Becker?!?!

Well Becker ain't playing anymore and...

*takes deep breath*

I've never heard much Freidman

:upset:

petrucci_wannabee
09-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Someone needs to stop smoking pot.

Someone needs to understand that the mods have power to move threads between forums.

wyldechild71
09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Friedman has some good stuff man, you should check it out. Dragons Kiss(cd) is some really kickarse music/guitar.

rap+good charlotte=crap
09-15-2004, 04:23 PM
What about Zakk Wylde, how come no one else(besides me) mentioned him. He is great

wyldechild71
09-15-2004, 04:24 PM
What about Zakk Wylde, how come no one else(besides me) mentioned him. He is great

Because hes just a pentatonic wanker....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My username speaks for itself.

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Friedman has some good stuff man, you should check it out. Dragons Kiss(cd) is some really kickarse music/guitar.

Stuff he did with Megadeth is cool too. Cacophony = Friedman/Becker, no?

wyldechild71
09-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Stuff he did with Megadeth is cool too. Cacophony = Friedman/Becker, no?

Yep.

Me!
09-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Wylde is usually kind of overlooked because Rhoads was so awesome. It's a shame. Same with Jake E. Lee. I LOVE a lot of his stuff off Bark at the Moon.

what
09-15-2004, 04:36 PM
FtLOG is the song every Vai fanboy points out when they want to talk about how emotional he is. He's done much better work like Blue Powder, I think. That song is just 7 minutes of the most boring slow tempo wank I have ever heard.

Yeah, For the Love of God is overrated, and anyway, Alive in an Ultra World > Passion & Warfare.

Solotower
09-15-2004, 04:55 PM
has everyone forgotten about Slash??Velvet Revolver = Guns 'n' Roses minus the good stuff = crap.
:rolleyes:

free_thinkers_are_dangerous
09-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Zakk Wylde

Jesper Stromblad (although he seems to keep his best riffs for his side project nowadays :angry: )

Tom Morello

John Frusciante

EVH (hey... he's on tour again. That counts, doesn't it?)

And for the record, I find Petrucci overrated. He plays faster than just about any other human being, but I find his stuff so bland and flavourless... It's like he's a scale machine, and forgot that songs have to have emotion. I have the album "When Dream and Day Unite" and almost nothing sounds like he put any feeling into it.

6Stringer
09-15-2004, 05:46 PM
trey anastasio(phish)
derek trucks(govt mule)
chuck garvey & al schnier(moe.)

i respect improv and jam band guitarists.

what
09-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Zakk Wylde

Jesper Stromblad (although he seems to keep his best riffs for his side project nowadays :angry: )

Tom Morello

John Frusciante

EVH (hey... he's on tour again. That counts, doesn't it?)

And for the record, I find Petrucci overrated. He plays faster than just about any other human being, but I find his stuff so bland and flavourless... It's like he's a scale machine, and forgot that songs have to have emotion. I have the album "When Dream and Day Unite" and almost nothing sounds like he put any feeling into it.

You can't "put" feeling into your playing, you can't just say - "I will play the 1st solo with emotion, and 2nd without emotion. Shut up with emotion already.

free_thinkers_are_dangerous
09-15-2004, 05:54 PM
You can't "put" feeling into your playing, you can't just say - "I will play the 1st solo with emotion, and 2nd without emotion. Shut up with emotion already.

Yes you can. Well, ok, maybe you can't, but some guitarists can.

You think it's impossible to play with emotion? Go smell some Red Hot Chili Peppers, and then compare and contrast with some Malmsteen. Either Petrucci has no emotion or no talent, because he plays stuff hella fast and it's not nearly as entertaining as a lot of slower, much less technical stuff. I'm going with option A, because it takes talent and years of training to play that fast.

Angmar00
09-15-2004, 06:02 PM
John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Michael Romeo(Symphony X), Adam Jones(Tool), Michael Angelo, Matthias IA Eklundh, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteem, Mikael Arkdfelt(Opeth), Andres Olbrich(Blind Guardian), Ron Thal(Bumblefoot), Buckethead, Eric Johnson, Paul Gilbert, Alexi Liaho(Children Of Bodom), Matt Bellamy(Muse), Stephen Forte(Adagio), Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius), Daniel Gildenlow/Johan Hallgren(Pain Of Salvation), Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth, Demons And Wizards), Luca Tirilli (Rhapsody), Herman Li (Dragonforce), Jesper Stromblad/Bjorn Gelotte (In Flames), Erno Vuorinen (Nightwish), Tony MacAlpine (Planet X)
that is about it!!!!!!

almost none else woth mentioning except for the Maiden boys!!! :evil:

wyldechild71
09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes you can. Well, ok, maybe you can't, but some guitarists can.

You think it's impossible to play with emotion? Go smell some Red Hot Chili Peppers, and then compare and contrast with some Malmsteen. Either Petrucci has no emotion or no talent, because he plays stuff hella fast and it's not nearly as entertaining as a lot of slower, much less technical stuff. I'm going with option A, because it takes talent and years of training to play that fast.

I think he was just saying that emotion flows naturally into a song, an artist doesnt push it out on "command".

Thats just my 2 cents....

To Angmar: LOOK AT YOUR AVATAR CHILD!!! Just because he cant play anymore doesnt mean he cant be respected...

HondoII
09-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Jason Becker's left eye > ALL OF MX

Bull with Gloves
09-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Here's my list of guys in the mainstream (platinum albums, MTV, etc.) who are respectable guitarists...
-Tom Morello (still being his old self from RATM)
-Dave Grohl (he's not amazingly skilled but he's fast as hell and writes catchy stuff)
-Zakk Wylde
-Lenny Kravitz
-Jerry Cantrell (not as famous as he was with AIC but he's still an awesome guitarist)
-Kirk Hammett (St. Anger sucked, besides that he's still decent, just not as good as he used to be)
-Carlos Santana
-Adam Jones
-Billy Howerdel
-Slash (don't forget Velvet Revolver)
-Buckethead

...these are off the top of my head, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned Santana, Lenny Kravitz or Jerry Cantrell...

Paranoidd
09-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Here's my list of guys in the mainstream (platinum albums, MTV, etc.) who are respectable guitarists...

-Dave Grohl (he's not amazingly skilled but he's fast as hell and writes catchy

Fast as hell? Dave Grohl is about as fast as a crippled snail.

Skeksis
09-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Jason Becker's left eye > ALL OF MX

Jason Becker's left eyelash > ALL OF MX

I'd say Uli Jon Roth, Michael Romeo, Alexi Laiho, Luca Turilli, Jani Liimatainen, Vai, Satriani and Buckethead.

This is all opinions though.

Air Tone
09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Ben Weinmen and Brian Benoit from Dillinger Escape Plan.

gardenofsound
09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Ler Lalonde, Buckethead, Mike Einziger, Zakk Wylde, Al DiMeola, John McClaughlin.

I'm gonna be changing my avatar as soon as I get off my *** about it, because Frusciante it a shadow of what he was just 6 years ago, and what he was 6 years ago was a shadow of what he was in the Mother's Milk/BSSM era. The current Frusciante=someone who tries to **** hard to be soulful and therefore is not soulful.

DavidsIbanez
09-15-2004, 08:19 PM
im probbly gonna get flamed for this but i gotta say greg camp of smash mouth is a pretty respectable guitarist.
i know hes no petrucci, or vai but i think hes good

Paul Penney
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
DEFINATLY NOT Steve Vai he is a show-off and a ringworm, im sure one of the guitarist in Busted... yes thats right Busted have more credibality in there little toes than Vai! :chug:

Please, fall off a cliff.

IheartSP
09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
the only time ive ever once heard busted is on thse forums. If these people are so popular how come there name isnt shoved down my throat and blink 182 is?

DavidsIbanez
09-15-2004, 08:28 PM
the only time ive ever once heard busted is on thse forums. If these people are so popular how come there name isnt shoved down my throat and blink 182 is?
wtf did u just say?

IheartSP
09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
am i really that confusing?

I said ive never heard the name busted mentioned once except on these forums, but apparently there this huge pop punk band.

DavidsIbanez
09-15-2004, 08:34 PM
oh ok, i just never heard of busted b4

Jonny Greenwood
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead should be mention :thumb:

ShredMachine
09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani... and to a more innovative extent Matthew Bellamy. John 5 needs mentioning too.
John 5 ist wanker.
My all-important, highly incomplete list of modern guitarists that don't suck (Technical ability does not constitute a shoo-in, you need to be able to write good stuff to match your speed. And lack of speed is not a disqualifier)
Petrucci. No contest
Alexi Laiho
Buckethead
Morello
Frusciante
Einziger
Marty Friedman
Brian Benoit and the other guy from Dillinger Escape Plan.

eighty d
09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
tommy emmanuel

he's simply amazing.

hind brain
09-22-2004, 07:58 PM
I would say Jade Puget from AFI deserves recognition, at least for his work in Art of Drowning. Check out those chords in The Despair Factor. 0_0

Led_Revolver
09-22-2004, 09:30 PM
The incubus guitarist (mike elizger or something i def cant spell much less pronounce his last name) is amzing. He does a lot of effects with pedals, can be very technical and very catchy, incubus all around is a respectable band

Detuned0
09-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Tim Mahoney. You can tell it's him playing, he has a unique style and sound.

311 - Beyond The Grey Sky <<<< everyone should check this song out. The solo at least.

Rob Arnold (Chimaira)

FateisCold
09-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Both the Avenged Sevenfold guitarists as well as the shadows fall guitarists and a few others.....
Dominic Cifarelli of Pulse Ultra
and Mike Shinoda of Staind

FateisCold
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Excuse me I meant Mushok when referring to Staind my mind has been wondering but while I'm at it lets add Ben Moody to the list.

lpjones
09-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Angus Young was and still is respectable , John Frusciante

Kilman
09-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Mike McCready
Ben Harper

Detuned0
09-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Both the Avenged Sevenfold guitarists as well as the shadows fall guitarists and a few others.....
Dominic Cifarelli of Pulse Ultra
and Mike Mushok of Staind

Or were you joking around with names?

geetar_joe
09-23-2004, 01:31 AM
what about john mayer*?

and tommy emmanuel kicks ***!

*just read your post then ankalar. buried back a bit

MinorThreat
09-23-2004, 01:40 AM
what about atreyu? Thrice? AFI? Coheed?

lpjones
09-23-2004, 01:47 AM
The incubus guitarist (mike elizger or something i def cant spell much less pronounce his last name) is amzing. He does a lot of effects with pedals, can be very technical and very catchy, incubus all around is a respectable band
i second that :p ! incubus r respectable

DizzyTS
09-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Slash

DizzyTS
09-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Slash and Zakk Wylde

joe_bass
09-23-2004, 06:07 AM
Way to double post.

Diatonic Dissonance™
09-23-2004, 07:25 AM

You're a fucken idiot.

EddieVanHalen007
09-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Jeff Beck,Uli Jon Roth and John Mclaughlin. Still around after all these years.

Syncope
09-23-2004, 06:56 PM
me :thumb:

Amp'd
09-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Einziger, Morello, Frusciante, Travis from Coheed & Cambria

Agent-X
09-23-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't know any of there names but for new guys on the scene the guitarists in Shadows fall, Arch Enemy, Soil Work have all earned my respect.

The Kreep
09-23-2004, 09:15 PM

Oh... dear god.... I think the fibres that hold this universe together are coming apart!

Honestly, your stupidity amazes me.
Unless you're being sarcastic, in which case MY stupidity amazes me :p

Number69
09-23-2004, 09:50 PM
What about B.B king? He is 85, has diabetes, and still tours and plays the guitar well. Other then that: Buckethead, Slash, Angus Young, and Paul Gilbert, Eric Clapton, and I guess Joe Satriani.

BludgeonySteve
09-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Why, Jeff Healey of course :)

PinkFreud
09-23-2004, 09:52 PM
warren haynes anyone? also jeff beck, still going strong.

owlandtree
09-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Hiram Bullock
Walter Becker
Frank Gambale
Lindsey Buckingham
Allan Holdsworth
Robert Fripp
Steve Howe
Steve Vai
John Maclaughlin
Albert Collins
Al Dimeola
Steve Bartek
Andy Summers
Alex Lifeson

mordredozzy124
09-23-2004, 10:19 PM
vai, satriani, frusiante, john 5, malstreem, the guy from the darkness can pull off some pretty cool solos, hetfield and hammet when theyre not playing stuff off st anger, mustaine

thats just a few i know there are a lot more

Kentucky Fried Chicken
09-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Angus Young, Van Halen, Jimmy Page, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet, Ritchy Blackmore, Alex Lifeson, Peter Townshed I could go on... There were alot of great guitarists, There all still alive... I think dont like Blackmore anymore though. If our reffering to the mainstream Then theres only like two or three are good that I know of... The guy from the vines is okay. Thats actually all I could think of.

BludgeonySteve
09-23-2004, 10:39 PM
warren haynes anyone? also jeff beck, still going strong.

Yep and yep.

FakePortrait
09-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Zakk ****ing Wylde :D (yea i know overmentioned)
Dimebag Darrell (I still like him :) )
Matthew Bachand & Jonathan Donais ( Shadows Fall)
Steve Vai
Joe Straini
Van Halen is still Rockin :D
And So is Judas Preist and Iron Maiden
TOny Iommi

**** there are a ****ing ton i could mention. :P

Aestus Sereno
09-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Holy cow you couldn't have asked a worse question in this forum.

1. People's perception of labelling somebody "respectable" is so highly skewed in this forum you will never get a straight answer worth refining your own opinion over
2. If there is something intelligent to read, it's not worth shifting through the amount of bull**** that isn't
3. Give somebody a parameter for "respectable" (like not mainstream guitarists, huge restriction) so that if they wanted to post something unintelligible they couldn't, or it would be against the rules and so uncool.

Good question for a normal forum, but you will only get string-humping midgets underwear all up in a bundle for no reason by posting here. I read the first page only and could see that that was going to happen. And I was right.

Aestus Sereno
09-24-2004, 12:10 AM
And what the hell is a list supposed to tell me? It's like telling somebody who doesn't know what a car is the innards of a ferrari

7 liter V6 castrol thingamajuggy
Plush suede pimp daddy seats
an ubermuffler for the muffler
adjustive heat zones

And then the guy goes, "Hey salesman, I have no ****ing clue why any of this is even necassary."

To which the salesman goes - "Because you know these things are impressive, durrrr!"

So don't be a heterophobic salesmen and do something not worth bitching at.

Aestus Sereno
09-24-2004, 12:22 AM
As to my highly respected opinion, I respect those who are conscious of their surroundings. People who could actually tell you why the Native American down the street wears a shirt that says "Indians: Fighting Terrorism Since 1492." People who don't glorify what is good in all the wrong context, which reminds me that I hate most of all the people that write our ****ing history books. The type of guy who accepts music as his karma and does not change this karma just so he could build a following based on false concepts. The people who fall under this category are few and far between, but the main one that comes to mind, and somebody who I have met personally, is Tim Reynolds. This is a guy who really could give eight ****s what people think about his music. And if you have any inkling of a thought of, "I like this guy only because he's a 'rebel'" you're a dick. Stereotyping people as a rebel is stupid in the first place, and heres where some satire kicks in.

If Tim was a rebel, and I liked him because he was a rebel, that would mean I'm really smart or I'm really stupid. If I'm really smart, I like this man because I really understand where he's coming from. If I'm really stupid, I like this man because I like to "**** the giant." Now, if I was somebody who was able to recognize these two things, wouldn't that lead you to beleive that I was smart enough in the first place to be able to like a man who spoke like Ghandi to me?

I need valium but you kids need a ****ing clue.

Permanent Solution
09-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Ought to mention David Gilmour as an innovative guitarist, as well as Omar...RX Bandits are also hella innovative if you ever see em live, they just jam for 5-10 minutes...don't see anyone else missing :)

Skeksis
09-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Aestus, you DO need a valium...

Gorego85
09-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Scott Ian (why has no one said him?)
Matt Bellamy
Dave Mustaine
Marty Friedman, Dragons kiss in particular
Tom Morello
John Petrucci
Kirk Hammett, but I think he's losing it. another St Anger and it's gone in my book
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani

And finally Tommy Emmanuel. This guy is a god, and thank goodness I'm not the only person here who's heard of him.

puffyone
09-24-2004, 05:46 AM
ROB FLYNN!

Don't forget Machine Head here people!

Jay
09-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Slash an yeh buckethead...i never quite got y he wore a KFC bucket on his head though lol...

phil_margera's_phat_butt
09-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Slash an yeh buckethead...i never quite got y he wore a KFC bucket on his head though lol...

kentucky fried chicken and a pizza hut

phil_margera's_phat_butt
09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
slash is the ****

Jay
09-30-2004, 02:00 PM
slash is the ****

:thumb: u kno it

SimpleMTS
09-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Guitarists I find respectable (only going to do a few since this list goes on for pages and pages since there are so many respectable players).

Dimebag Darrell
John Frusciante
John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
In Flames guitarists
Shadows Fall guitarists
Unearth's Guitarists
so many more, i got homework to do so thats it for now.

Triangle
09-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Slash
Satch
Vai
Petrucci
Morrello
Matt Belamy

And the new wave of metal. At least theyre using solos.

rhoadswannabe
09-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Ryan Formato

siryan
11-23-2004, 12:08 AM
slash, clapton, dave gilmour, iron maiden guys, hammet, frusciante, page, petrucci

The Kreep
11-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Clapton, Gilmour, the Iron Maden guys and Page aren't guitarists of 'today'.

Metaljonus
11-23-2004, 12:16 AM
Ryan Formato :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UltimaTap
11-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Daniel Gildenlow/Johan Hallgren(Pain Of Salvation)

I love you.

The Sandman
11-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Petrucci

...nuff said...

RayTuRd
11-23-2004, 01:18 AM
Dave mustaine

ankalar
11-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Hey Aestus, I didn't read the rest of the thread so maybe that's why I'm asking, but are the penultimate and final posts you made are completely irrelevant to the thread?

JoJo T. Magnifficnet
11-23-2004, 04:44 AM
Lost Prophets are a pretty good band. There music may not be particularly difficult, but atleast its imaginative. thats something sorely lacking in alot of musicians these days. AND they have a Bassist who doesnt just play root notes of powerchords, thats gotta be worth something.

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 05:00 AM
shinobi vs dragon ninja is song that is heavy as hell...word

zerograv
11-23-2004, 05:37 AM
if the lost prophets guitarists are sooo bad, how come they are on tour instead of on the internet bitching about who is good or not? if you are a musician you take the good from all music. Jimi hendrix used to watch bands that he hated and were obvously less skilled and take notes on all the good things about them. That is what music is about.

+3kk!
11-23-2004, 05:59 AM
if the lost prophets guitarists are sooo bad, how come they are on tour instead of on the internet bitching about who is good or not? if you are a musician you take the good from all music. Jimi hendrix used to watch bands that he hated and were obvously less skilled and take notes on all the good things about them. That is what music is about.

first dude,you must understand the fact that a lot of people out there dont know about guitar,or any instrument they arent playing.not to say there's still people who doesnt know shred music.and also did it ever occour to you that people buy the music as a fad or just simple listening,not bothering about the quality of the music?

if you belive that one people can do tours are good and all.britney must be the mozart of our time then.then what about guitarists like paco or meola?i'd like to hear your comments on them.

if you are a musician you take the good from all music

you as a musicain must at least understand talented guitarists instead of defending some heavily overrated band.and to add to your comment i doubt you would listen to jazz,classical and you would consider them as boring music.

lastly you people must understand the diffrence between a fav.guitarist and a respectable guitarist.

respectable guitarists;
jason becker,JP,vai,satriani,paul gilbert,mustaine,fieldman,malmsteem,paco de lucia,al di meola,david gilmour...............

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 06:04 AM
meh, you guys mix up the meanings of some words

whether or not a guitarist is respectable is dependant on your opinion and whether you are basing your judgement on technical ability, musical creativity or good marketing

+3kk!
11-23-2004, 06:09 AM
meh, you guys mix up the meanings of some words

whether or not a guitarist is respectable is dependant on your opinion and whether you are basing your judgement on technical ability, musical creativity or good marketing

nvm dude,adds the post count

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 06:11 AM
nvm dude,adds the post count

postcount ++

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 06:28 AM

HHAHA, good marketing, thats so **** true

zerograv
11-23-2004, 06:31 AM
see those are your opinions.........and what makes your opinions better than his?

"and also did it ever occour to you that people buy the music as a fad or just simple listening,not bothering about the quality of the music?"

or because they like it and think the band is talented. I don't really understand why you think people would buy music because it's a fad. Would you eat dog**** because your friends are eating it, or because you like the taste?

zerograv
11-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Steve Vai originally was taught guitar by Joe Satriani. So i could come along and say steve vai isn't a respectible guitarist because he is a lame knockoff wannabe of satriani. Forums are based on opinions. Don't bash someone because his idea of a respectible guitarist isn't the same as yours. Like i said. take the good in all music.

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 06:41 AM
Steve Vai originally was taught guitar by Joe Satriani. So i could come along and say steve vai isn't a respectible guitarist because he is a lame knockoff wannabe of satriani. Forums are based on opinions. Don't bash someone because his idea of a respectible guitarist isn't the same as yours. Like i said. take the good in all music.

Vai played guitar before he got lessons from Satch

The Kreep
11-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Just because they like it, doesn't mean the band are talented.

Think of modern art. Empty a paint can onto a canvas and people seem to think it's freakin' genius. Doesn't take much to empty a paint can onto a canvas, get what I'm saying?

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Just because they like it, doesn't mean the band are talented.

Think of modern art. Empty a paint can onto a canvas and people seem to think it's freakin' genius. Doesn't take much to empty a paint can onto a canvas, get what I'm saying?

*goes to throw paint onto wall*

*sells wall for £900,000*

*needs to buy new wall* :upset:

zerograv
11-23-2004, 06:46 AM
"Vai played guitar before he got lessons from Satch"

ummm in an interview with satch in guitarworld, he says he taught him everything

and i quote

"i had to start from the very beginning. it was like, this is an e chord"

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
yes, you have a point, HOWEVER...do you ever watch those reality shows where they make the contestants eat weird ****? MOST (90%) of the **** they make the contestants eat is a delicacy or normal food in some region of the world.

Lets take eating african cave dwelling spiders. To us (or most westerners i guess), this is an experience to avoid, almost the same as eating dog****. But if we were in a culture where eating these spiders was commonplace, we would also eat these spiders. Why? We may develop a taste for the spiders, but moreover, because thats what everybody else is eating. If these spiders were commonplace and one of the few major food sources around, i wouldn't be using them as an example.

Turn to today's radio situation. Clear Channel owns most of the radio stations today. THEY DO. If one company owns most (99%) of the radio stations, they control everything the radio-listening public hears. And lets face it, the radio listening public is a large percent of Americans. So if everybody else is listening to the music, you will be too.

If these radio stations are the publics only influx of new bands, clear channel can pretty much control what the public is listening to. So if everybody is listening to it, everybody will think it is socially acceptable to like this band/act. Clear Channel can make people like music, because thats all they can listen to. You can change the channel, but thats only the genre of music that clear channel is controlling.

Please, this is America, don't think you have a choice in what you listen to </sarcasm>

cheers :chug:

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
"Vai played guitar before he got lessons from Satch"

ummm in an interview with satch in guitarworld, he says he taught him everything

and i quote

"i had to start from the very beginning. it was like, this is an e chord"

vai had to write pieces for his music theory teacher on a daily bassis before Satch started to teach him, that said it doesn't mean that Vai was overly good at guitar when Satch started to teach him, Vai himself has said that he didn't know how to apply his ideas onto his guitar and that Satch taught him how to do that

zerograv
11-23-2004, 06:49 AM
yes but think of it this way.

In comparison to hendrix they suck, but in comparison to joe smiths band in his garage, they are awesome, it's all relative.

zerograv
11-23-2004, 06:51 AM
that's not what the article said, and sorry, i'd believe it outta someones mouth before id believe it here

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 06:53 AM
that's not what the article said, and sorry, i'd believe it outta someones mouth before id believe it here

meh, I've heard Vai talk about it in guitar world and heard him talk about it on radio, I guess there's two sides to each story

zerograv
11-23-2004, 06:54 AM
that could be true

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 06:56 AM
that could be true

truer words have never been spoken, i grovel at your feet :)

irish_guitar_god
11-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Respectable guitarists: Synester Gates, Jon Donais, Michael Romeo, John Petruuci, Slash, Zakk Wylde, Alexi Laihlo, Tom Morello

da_funka
11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
what do you think about jerry cantrell?

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:06 AM
"Vai became interested in the guitar via such legendary artists as Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Alice Cooper as a teenager, and upon starting high school, took lessons with an older player from his high school, Joe Satriani. Playing in several local bands, Vai quickly picked up on the instrument, and by the age of 18 was attending the renowned Berklee School of Music in Boston. As a student there, Vai transcribed several of Frank Zappa's most technically demanding compositions for guitar, and even sent a copy of one such transcription, "Black Page," to Zappa himself."

that is from his official biography, now why would he have a music theory teacher if he started playing with satch before attending music school? according to his official biography, satch was his first ever teacher.

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:08 AM
"Vai became interested in the guitar via such legendary artists as Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, and Alice Cooper as a teenager, and upon starting high school, took lessons with an older player from his high school, Joe Satriani. Playing in several local bands, Vai quickly picked up on the instrument, and by the age of 18 was attending the renowned Berklee School of Music in Boston. As a student there, Vai transcribed several of Frank Zappa's most technically demanding compositions for guitar, and even sent a copy of one such transcription, "Black Page," to Zappa himself."

that is from his official biography, now why would he have a music theory teacher if he started playing with satch before attending music school? according to his official biography, satch was his first ever teacher.

look man, all I'm basing this on is from what Vai himself has said in magazines and on the radio, take it up with him

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:10 AM
that's ok, you must have been mistaken...

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 07:11 AM
look papa shank, we want you to know everything about everything, if you don't, we will flame you until you are down in the mouth...haha, alltimes lucky

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:12 AM
who's flaming who.......i'm just setting the facts straight. it's called a discussion and we are discussing. thats all there is to it

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:13 AM
look papa shank, we want you to know everything about everything, if you don't, we will flame you until you are down in the mouth...haha, alltimes lucky

erm... :confused:

and zero, I'm not mistaken, Vai says it in April 04s Guitar World

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 07:14 AM
ah no, it wasn't aimed at you really, its just that papa shank has been contradicted by me about a half hour ago and now you, just easing the tension if he is feeling a bit trodden upon, NOW QUIT FLAMING ME ZEROGRAY!!!1!1!! cheers :chug:

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:15 AM
thats odd, his official bio says one thing, and he says another..........like you said, 2 sides to every story

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:16 AM
who is on the cover of that issue of guitar world?

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:16 AM
thats odd, his official bio says one thing, and he says another..........like you said, 2 sides to every story

:lol: yes, just like I said

infact it's three sides to the story if you include Satch's account of it

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:17 AM
who is on the cover of that issue of guitar world?

jimmy page and joe perry

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:17 AM
i have that one, i'm going to check it out

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:18 AM
what page does he say that on?

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 07:18 AM
fill post

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:22 AM
page 90, read MUSIC THEORY

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 07:25 AM
http://www.brainerd.net/~scotydog/ownage.jpg

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
hmmm interesting,

now he says "bill westcott taught me music theory in high school, but it wasn't until i took guitar lessons from joe satriani that i learned how to apply a lot of it to my instrument"

could it be possible that he started learning theory before learning the instrument? he says "but it wasn't until i took guitar lessons...."

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:28 AM
I don't know if he mentions it in there but I've heard him say that his teacher would play what Vai had written, it would suggest that Vai had knowledge of music theory but no experience of playing guitar

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 07:28 AM
we had a class in high school called general music for people who didn't want to play an instrument. all they did was learn music theory. however, not having an instrument to reference the theory on must've been a large hurdle in their learning the music theory

papa shank, i have a song for you, want to go on msn?

zerograv
11-23-2004, 07:30 AM
that is the most likely case then.

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:33 AM
we had a class in high school called general music for people who didn't want to play an instrument. all they did was learn music theory. however, not having an instrument to reference the theory on must've been a large hurdle in their learning the music theory

papa shank, i have a song for you, want to go on msn?

sure I'll be on in a minute, what song is it?

Seamstander
11-23-2004, 07:36 AM
its wedding nails by porcupine tree, please enter me as katiew9119@hotmail.com

Papa Shank
11-23-2004, 07:50 AM
added :thumb:

israfel
02-13-2006, 11:04 PM
hey guys, i used to play guitar in Pulse Ultra. just writing in to say hello and to let you all know that i have a new project called The Chronicles of Israfel come listen to a track at www.myspace.com/thechroniclesofisrafel

peace!
d.

JoshIsNumber3
02-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Holy Christ.

LSD
02-13-2006, 11:07 PM
so you resurected this thread for that?

Lionheart1827
02-13-2006, 11:08 PM
haha old thread.

I remember Pulse Ultra was in Need for Speed Hot pursuit 2. The song was called Build Your Cages.:thumb:

I wonder if its really him. Whatever.

Irish_Scorpion
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
lmao at awesome bump

gillygan
02-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Petrucci and Loomis ftw!

edit: hehe, just noticed the date of this thread....

El_Goodo
02-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Hows that make them good.

Do you think Jack White is a good guitarist?

Jack White actually is a good guitarist, Im guessing you've only heard their singles.

My picks for great modern guitarists are;

Tom Morello (Audioslave): He's very innovative and writes killer riffs

Omar Rodriquez Lopez (Mars Volta): He's also very innovative, and a great improviser.

John Mayer (John Mayer Trio): He's a really awesome blue guitar player.

That's all I got for now!

Amp'd
02-13-2006, 11:20 PM
This reminds me of walking with the dinosaurs.

JoshIsNumber3
02-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I do not have respect for many guitarists.

Musicians on the other hand, that's a different story.

Diatonic Dissonance™
02-13-2006, 11:29 PM
I do not have respect for many guitarists.

Musicians on the other hand, that's a different story.
/contraversy ++

JoshIsNumber3
02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Bring it.

Amit
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
i bring pringles

wait is this the potluck dinner or am i in the wrong thread again oshi

JoshIsNumber3
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
um i dunno

u can bring pringles
gav can bring some sort of aborigine ethnic food he eats all the time
ill bring a few whoppers k

Amp'd
02-13-2006, 11:36 PM
I... I wasn't invited. :upset:

BLS_Infernus
02-13-2006, 11:37 PM
I got the toe jam if you got the peanut butter!

Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani and Paco

GuitarSlinger
02-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I... I wasn't invited. :upset:
:lol: @ U

Diatonic Dissonance™
02-13-2006, 11:43 PM
um i dunno

u can bring pringles
gav can bring some sort of aborigine ethnic food he eats all the time
ill bring a few whoppers k
:lol: :mad:

JoshIsNumber3
02-13-2006, 11:46 PM
sup?

Diatonic Dissonance™
02-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Not much. Music was so awesome today.

We did interval construction (:rolleyes: ) and the teacher was like "alright I'll write eight up on the board and when you do them you can go. The people that are new to theory can do them in an easy key (G major), and the others can do a harder key (E major :rolleyes: )" so she would write one up and she'd be like "major third" then underneath she'd start writing the next one and it would be like "perfect fifth" and at "perfect fi" I'd already done the first two, haha.

So then I was allowed to go (about 15 minutes left) and I went to get a coffee and I came back and these girls were like "we're done. Can we go too?" and I was like "come on Mrs Simpson, let 'em go. You let me go" and she was like "nah, that's called favouritism!" - I swear my head was so swollen.

Then at the end of the lesson I was chilling with her (I talk to her for a few minutes before/during/after class) and we were talking about species counterpoint and stuff. I was like "so, you'll be teaching us species counterpoint next week yeah?".. laughter ensued.

<3

Junooni
02-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Majority of people haven't heard of Salman Ahmad. He's definitely respectable as a guitarist and a person.

-Goodwill ambassador for the UN
-mad chops

hafez
02-14-2006, 12:39 AM
plenty of them. of course Satch for "keepin it real" for oh so long. Vai and Malmsteen are incredibly skilled but make boring music in my opinion. tons of old school jazz and classical guitarists but that goes without saying. Laurence Juber, Mimi Fox and john jorgensen for making good music that is technical. and oh yeah, Steven Seagal, for looking like even more of a joke by attempting to make music

Lupus
02-14-2006, 05:58 AM
John Williams.

AREAFOTF
02-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Rusty Cooley FTW!

Timm
02-14-2006, 06:20 AM
name drop

Alive
02-14-2006, 06:36 AM

We did interval construction (:rolleyes: ) and the teacher was like "alright I'll write eight up on the board and when you do them you can go. The people that are new to theory can do them in an easy key (G major), and the others can do a harder key (E major :rolleyes: )" so she would write one up and she'd be like "major third" then underneath she'd start writing the next one and it would be like "perfect fifth" and at "perfect fi" I'd already done the first two, haha.

So then I was allowed to go (about 15 minutes left) and I went to get a coffee and I came back and these girls were like "we're done. Can we go too?" and I was like "come on Mrs Simpson, let 'em go. You let me go" and she was like "nah, that's called favouritism!" - I swear my head was so swollen.

Then at the end of the lesson I was chilling with her (I talk to her for a few minutes before/during/after class)

<3

Aww, I swear this was leading to an advert for a pr0n site :(

Anyway, almost all guitarists are respectable, as they (the ones mentioned in this thread) have greater technical and compositional skill than me.

Krabsworth
02-14-2006, 06:57 AM
This reminds me of walking with the dinosaurs.

Or riding one of the comets that struck the earth in its first thousand years.

-Artos-
02-14-2006, 07:03 AM
JerryC, period.

Mrak lol
02-14-2006, 07:04 AM

Then at the end of the lesson I was chilling with her (I talk to her for a few minutes before/during/after class) and we were talking about species counterpoint and stuff. I was like "so, you'll be teaching us species counterpoint next week yeah?".. laughter ensued.

<3

What an asshole you are.Go home feg cunt

Cool Beans
02-14-2006, 07:11 AM
refl @ thinking lostprophets have decent guitarists

what
02-14-2006, 07:50 AM
im trying to search for a post i posted in this threa omgogmomofs where it is

what
02-14-2006, 07:53 AM
oh god this thread is not young

kurrpt
02-14-2006, 07:55 AM
could gav BE more of a nerd :lol::lol::lol::lol:

what
02-14-2006, 07:55 AM
man i found my posts theyre bad

kurrpt
02-14-2006, 07:57 AM
man i found my posts theyre bad

eh, im sure you've had worse :lol:

mutant!
02-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Matt Bellamy, John Frusciante, Tom Morello, and Mike Einziger. And that dude from TMV.

what
02-14-2006, 07:59 AM
eh, im sure you've had worse :lol:

uh oh dadmn

JoshIsNumber3
02-14-2006, 08:10 AM
i have mad respect for myself as a guitarist

kurrpt
02-14-2006, 08:11 AM
i have mad respect for myself as a guitarist

I hear 1, can i get a 2?

2?