PDA

View Full Version : Digitech Grunge

eddierulesVH
09-04-2004, 01:36 PM
this pedal is by far one of the best rock distortion pedal i thank you can get
you can go any where from a heavey metal distortion to the old time classic tube distortion.it has a awesome sustain and if you wont feedback you can get it it is a overall awesome pedal. :thumb:
color =5
sound=5
distortion=5
overall=5

grungeguitarist
09-04-2004, 01:53 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170751

eddierulesVH
09-04-2004, 09:13 PM
i fixed it

Puppet Lizards_Frontman
09-16-2004, 11:58 AM
I agree, this is an amazing pedal.

I got it new for 75.00$ CDN, which is pretty cheap considering the Metal Zone was 165.99$ CDN.

At first I didn't know what to think of the sound, I had never heard anything like it EVER. With the gain nob at 0 it still has an insane amount of gain and it only gets better from there. While it never goes to 11 like the Death Metal Price(which was the same price) I opted for this one because of the gain control. The EQ is very sensitive and flexible, although I would have prefered a Mid control but I have a Boss GE-7 for that. I can get a very smooth sounding metal distortion (Similar to John Petrucci, not exactly like him but Dream Theater stuff sounds VERY good on it if its set up right) or I can get an all out static fest in the vain of Kurt Cobain. Heck, even Death Metal can sound amazing on this if you take the time to tweak it right.

The volume setting is another marvel, you can boost your output like nothing you've ever seen before. I find that depending on your amp, around the 1/4 mark (maybe a bit higher) will be enough to match your clean volume any louder and well...you'll go deaf because the volume goes up ALOT when you just barely touch it.

The construction of this pedal is phenomonal, its made of metal and its solid as a rock. It has the same casing as an X-Series pedal which are VERY VERY VERY rugged. Just as sturdy as a Boss.

The only bad thing about it is the battery changing, you need to take a pen or a patch chord (easier to find quicker usualy :p ) to push in a pin on the footswitch to take it off. It just takes some getting used to, and doesn't change the fact that this pedal sounds AMAZING. Besides, most people buy the adapters anyway so you should never have to change a battery.

Digitech Grunge Pedal: 5/5

eddierulesVH
09-17-2004, 09:45 PM
i was reading the book and you use you guitar plug to open it up to change the battery then trying to look for something (drum solo's are good for something) :thumb:

The JoZ
09-17-2004, 10:08 PM
I actually thought about buying this one...I have a Boss DS1...and it's ok, but I only bought it because it was 40 bucks.

My friend has the Death Metal pedal...it's cool, but from the sound samples, I think I liked alot of the crunch of the Grunge as opposed to the Death. But cut the mids of the Death, and you can get that 'chainsaw' sound. Very cool

If I come into any money anytime soon, I'll look into this. :upset:

Mark. A
10-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Go for the metal distortion. Grunge was a waste of music.

Rage Against the Nirvana
10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
grunge is a was of music??? dude metal be4 grunge was bon jovi and that crap. anyways my review on the pedal is a 3/5 because its to crunchy for a grunge sound

ZeppelinI
10-22-2004, 08:43 PM
grunge is a was of music??? dude metal be4 grunge was bon jovi and that crap. anyways my review on the pedal is a 3/5 because its to crunchy for a grunge sound

Yeah man it was bon ****ing jovi. Are you an idiot? Have you ever heard of black sabbath?!

Lelant
10-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Kurt Cobain used a ds-1

Your Tourniquet
10-24-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't know what to get, the grunge or the death metal... I play well... listen to H.I.M and you'll get what I mean...

rustyburrito55
01-01-2005, 12:46 AM
i have the grunge. its a very nice pedal. it definitly beats my friends boss mega distortion pedal. it looks awesome and sounds even better. theres only 2 things i would change.
1. make it so you can turn the gain down a little more then it would be a LOT more versatile
2. add a midrange knob

DemocraticAnarchist
01-08-2005, 08:11 AM
The grunge pedal is a jike. Get a Boss MT2. A real f***in pedal.

Frederoni
01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
I have no clue what to get, I play mostly Metalcore and Punk, so what pedal should I get, Grunge or Metal?

moaner
02-01-2005, 04:04 AM

Name one thing about nirvana thats better than bon jovi. The musicianship (fact) and songwriting (opinion) of bon jovi was better. Nirvana made it uncool to try at music, and pretty much wiped out anything that was ever cool.

moaner
02-01-2005, 04:11 AM
http://www.samboraworldwide.com/sww1.jpgOWNShttp://www.poster.net/cobain-kurt/cobain-kurt-guitar-5001007.jpg

flame in the ashes
02-01-2005, 03:07 PM
i would go with the dod grunge its cheaper

flame in the ashes
02-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Name one thing about nirvana thats better than bon jovi. The musicianship (fact) and songwriting (opinion) of bon jovi was better. Nirvana made it uncool to try at music, and pretty much wiped out anything that was ever cool.
musicianship ill give songwriting well i think cobain is better at writing lyrics

butch_man
02-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Why does every thread with the word "grunge" involve Kurt Cobain and Nirvana?

moaner
02-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Why does every thread with the word "grunge" involve Kurt Cobain and Nirvana?

cause Puddle of Mud suck and pearl jam are boring?

PainKiller8191
02-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Right on moaner, fight the machine!

dan02345
02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
i play a boss mt-2 metal zone...a lot better than the digitech pedal

rustyburrito55
02-13-2005, 05:34 PM
do keep in mind that grunge is just the name on the pedal. as they say, never judge a book by its cover

grungeboygtr
02-15-2005, 07:51 PM

you're joking about pearl jam right...please say that your joking and if your not...just give up on life

Coldceller
02-16-2005, 09:52 PM
forget about that digital bullshit. get any analog pedal it sounds better and doesn't kill batteries as fast as those **** ic chip do.

Coldceller
02-16-2005, 09:53 PM
oh yea and nirvana is way better than bon jovi

kevbud187
02-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Kurt Cobain used a ds-1

This of course was before digitech released the criticly aclaimed distortion seires that is a huge buzz.

Also Kurt Cobain Shot himself in the head with a shotgun so he is not a ery logical man

p->q
P=Kurt C. Q=Suicide Via Shotgun
q->r
Q=Suicide Via Shotgun R=Not Logical
p->r
P=Kurt C. R=Not Logical

Therfor Kurt is a moron

moaner
02-18-2005, 06:12 AM
Therfore Kurt is a DEAD moron

fixed.

see, life's not all bad.

MentionPK
02-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I have the Grunge distortion its kickass. I've had it for about I wanna say 4-5 months, though i'm not sure if its been out for that long and from what I understand the Grunge distortion IS analog. I know I read that somewhere, but i could be wrong cause i usually am.

Orange Soda
03-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Nirvana weren't a bad Hard Pop Rock band, so by default they're better than Bon Jovi.

Bon Jovi had to rely on looks to sell records.

Bon Jovi used Desmond Child to write their hit songs.

Nirvana > Bon Jovi

moaner
03-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Nirvana weren't a bad Hard Pop Rock band, so by default they're better than Bon Jovi.

Bon Jovi had to rely on looks to sell records.

Bon Jovi used Desmond Child to write their hit songs.

Nirvana > Bon Jovi

Nirvana had to reply on depressed teenagers who were sad because emo hadn't been invented yet.

And Bon Jovi didn't RELY on looking cool to sell records. but they did look extremely cool. unlike nirvana.

fung
03-11-2005, 01:35 PM
I have no clue what to get, I play mostly Metalcore and Punk, so what pedal should I get, Grunge or Metal?

Metal for deep/heavy metal. Grunge for fast an medium types of metal.

fung
03-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Nirvana and Bon Jovi were good in their own respective genres. Both kicked butt!

Orange Soda
03-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Nirvana had to reply on depressed teenagers who were sad because emo hadn't been invented yet.

but they did look extremely cool.

Yep. Tight jeans and sparkly earings.

That really embodies cool :rolleyes:

And how come you didn't respond about desmond child?

DryIce001
03-14-2005, 11:07 PM

hey, cmon now...leave pearl jam out of this. but about the grunge pedal...i bought it mainly because of its price ($40 off of musicians friend). it's a decent pedal, although i havent played it in a while cause its battery died and i dont have an AC adapter. i really like the look of it though...if that matters at all. they should add a mid to the pedal too...just my opinion though. also it sounds pretty crappy if you turn up the grunge too high...it completely overpowers.

frances-farmer
03-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Kurt Cobain used a DS-2 later on. Because the DS-2 is the same as ds-1 plus a turbo effect.

mkultra
03-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Bon Jovi definately had the edge Over Kurt Cobain when it came to hair care products and make up.
Bon Jovi = Pretty boy pop rock for the ladies. (on a par with europe and all the other lame hair bands)
Cobain = one of the most innovative songwriters/lyricists of the 90's

ADU Guitarist
03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
they came out along with the hot head, does anyone have the Digitech hot head pedal?

Puppet Lizards_Frontman
03-26-2005, 09:53 PM
forget about that digital bullshit. get any analog pedal it sounds better and doesn't kill batteries as fast as those **** ic chip do.

The new line of Digitech Pedals are analog circuitry. Some people should really learn their stuff before they start blastic stuff for no reason. I opened this pedal up myself...and it is 100% pure analog goodness.

grunge_lives_on75
03-27-2005, 10:56 AM
http://www.samboraworldwide.com/sww1.jpgOWNShttp://www.poster.net/cobain-kurt/cobain-kurt-guitar-5001007.jpg

That guy in the top picture looks like a f u c k i n g queer

I have a DOD grunge pedal. i love it...but quit using it because im to cheap to buy an adapter or a battery. Its a **** good distortion pedal!!!!

kuyarey_pogi
03-27-2005, 01:28 PM
That guy in the top picture looks like a f u c k i n g queer

I have a DOD grunge pedal. i love it...but quit using it because im to cheap to buy an adapter or a battery. Its a **** good distortion pedal!!!!

Don't you just have to buy an adapter once? it's a good investment bro. :thumb:

moaner
03-27-2005, 04:49 PM
Bon Jovi definately had the edge Over Kurt Cobain when it came to hair care products and make up.
Bon Jovi = Pretty boy pop rock for the ladies. (on a par with europe and all the other lame hair bands)
Cobain = one of the most innovative songwriters/lyricists of the 90's

doesn't take much...

compared to the likes of pink floyd, kurt's songs are dull and uninspired. THey were veru miserable, and since they required no musical talent people think they must have songwriting talent. i don't think powerchords, nonsense lyrics that fans find all kinda of hidden meanings in and solos that he didn't even bother to write and so used the melody instead really constitue good songwriting, do you?

freakpower
03-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey now, Kurt's lyrics are really deep. Like, "Hello, hello hello hello how low" (repeat ad nauseum), I can so totally identify with that it's not even funny.

"I don't have a gun, no I don't have a gun" (come as you are) Well I think there's a bit of irony right there...

"Pain"

Well.

butch_man
03-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Pic 1: Look at him doing slides with his slider.

Pic 2: Look at him playing a powerchord.....incorrectly.

loseryouth
03-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Go for the metal distortion. Grunge was a waste of music.
your just jelous because we ruled the late 80's and early 90's and metal was known as hair metal plus, grunge didn't die with kurt there are still a bunch of grunge bands like Mudhoney, Meat puppets, Sonic youth and the vaselines so back off of grunge. dont get me wrong i like metal just not 80's and 90's

any ways the petal is a 5/5

loseryouth
03-30-2005, 09:57 PM
get an ibanez punk crunch

loseryouth
03-30-2005, 10:04 PM
please puddle of mud is moderate new wave. what about
the screaming trees
sonic youth
silverchair
Alice In Chains
FooFighters
Meat Puppets
Melvins
Mudhoney
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Coldceller
03-30-2005, 11:57 PM
The new line of Digitech Pedals are analog circuitry. Some people should really learn their stuff before they start blastic stuff for no reason. I opened this pedal up myself...and it is 100% pure analog goodness.
I must be missinformed, someone told me all the pedals digitech put out used digital amplification. So since you opened it up, are they using transistors for amplification or opamps? Opamps don't sound as good as transistors, but nothing sounds as good as a tube. I heard somewhere you can use a feild effect transistor and it has a sound similar to a tube. this has nothing to do with the pedal discussed in this thread, hell i've never played on a grunge pedal of any kind.

moaner
04-02-2005, 10:56 AM
your just jelous because we ruled the late 80's and early 90's and metal was known as hair metal plus, grunge didn't die with kurt there are still a bunch of grunge bands like Mudhoney, Meat puppets, Sonic youth and the vaselines so back off of grunge. dont get me wrong i like metal just not 80's and 90's

any ways the petal is a 5/5

You know, they were wise enough to think that long hair was cool? it ain't a bloody insult.

grunge was immortalised by kurt's death. in fact, that's probably the only reason its still around.

moaner
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I must be missinformed, someone told me all the pedals digitech put out used digital amplification. So since you opened it up, are they using transistors for amplification or opamps? Opamps don't sound as good as transistors, but nothing sounds as good as a tube. I heard somewhere you can use a feild effect transistor and it has a sound similar to a tube. this has nothing to do with the pedal discussed in this thread, hell i've never played on a grunge pedal of any kind.

no transistor can ever give the warmth a tube does

i beleive op-amps are just ICs containing lots of transistors?

drummerjoe74
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
A kid who played guitar in my band for a few weeks had a grunge pedal and said it sounded emo and sold it on ebay.

loseryouth
04-02-2005, 07:33 PM
whatever thats your opinion

Coldceller
04-04-2005, 11:14 AM
no transistor can ever give the warmth a tube does

i beleive op-amps are just ICs containing lots of transistors?

They are, but on a much smaller scale. But the FET (field effect transistors) amplify in a different way for BJT (bipolar juction transistors) used in most fuzz face pedals. I've never hear a pedal with a FET in it, I was wondering if anyone has?

Whatever
04-06-2005, 08:25 AM

look at how it's a left-handed guitar.

Zeke
04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Anyways. I love my grunge. I hardly use it with the grunge up on full, gives a lot of feedback.

Coldceller
04-28-2005, 01:36 AM
look at how it's a left-handed guitar.
and how hes not playing he's just holding it.

icedeath1412
04-29-2005, 06:29 PM
i can't decide what pedal to get...the digitech death metal or the grunge...waht battery lasts longer and what would you reccommend?

Guitarfreak
05-04-2005, 10:39 PM
:evil: i have t digitech grunge,gr8 pedal.pretty light on t battery,will last for about 10-15 hours of playing,depending on where you have the volume nob set to.kick a** pedal,takes a bit of getting used to but is worth the money.dont even consider the dod grunge:a PLASTIC rocker plate;come on,i mean,PLASTIC??? u figure it out...

the21st_fret
05-13-2005, 09:40 PM

You loser, you need Jesus and Joe Satriani....
:lol:

drewthefoo21
05-16-2005, 05:13 PM
yah im wondering the same thing...... what are the best distortion pedals? im not into hardcore death metal S*** .. so give me a pedal with more of a punk rock sound! :thumb:

Tonestack
06-11-2005, 09:16 AM
They are, but on a much smaller scale. But the FET (field effect transistors) amplify in a different way for BJT (bipolar juction transistors) used in most fuzz face pedals. I've never hear a pedal with a FET in it, I was wondering if anyone has?

Have you ever heard of an "Ibanez Tube Screamer?" It is based on the TL072 OP Amp, which is a FET-based chip. How about the "Z-Fex Super Hard On?" it also uses FET-based IC circuitry. Finally, the Fulltone Fat Boost is a discrete FET-based device.

Tubes are pure transconductance devices, that is, they use a voltage source to control a current source without the need for current flow at the controlling voltage source. Transconductance is the ratio of current flow to applied voltage. In small-signal stages (i.e. preamp stages), a resistor, referred to as “Ra,” is tied between the positive voltage source and the anode of the tube. As the voltage fed into the tube via the control grid modulates with respect to the signal coming from one's guitar, it causes the current between the cathode and the anode to modulate, which causes the voltage drop across the anode resistor to modulate (i.e., voltage = current x resistance). Hence, a small voltage is turned into a larger voltage, which is known as voltage gain.

With this said, a FET is a true transconductance device--a BJT is not! A BJT requires current flow at its base in order for current amplification to occur across the emitter and collector (gain in a BJT is the ratio of output current to input current known as “hFE” or “Beta”). Also, FETs, like tubes, are high impedance devices. Impedance is resistance with respect to frequency (a.k.a. AC resistance). For example, a speaker may have a DC (zero Hertz) resistance of approximately eight Ohms, but will exhibit a different resistance to a one thousand Hertz signal.

What does impedance have to do with good distorted tone? Well...high impendence devices tend to have lousy high-frequency response, which is very good when one is pushing a stage into clipping. When a stage clips, it starts producing higher-order harmonics that can be very harsh sounding. The limited frequency response (in part, due to another phenomenon known as the Miller Effect) of the typical 12AX7 stage rolls off these harsh harmonics; thus, smoothing out the signal.

There are many things that go on in a vintage-design tube amp that contribute to tone. One important factor is poor power supply regulation. What this means in layman's terms is that the power supply runs out of juice when the amp is pushed to it limits. This lack of juice results in the amp pushing back on the player until the power supply recovers. An interesting thing occurs while the amp is recovering; namely, signal limiting/compression. A good player learns to ride the recovery curve, which results in fluid solos. If one wants to hear a good example of this phenomenon in action, listen to the solo on "Alone Again" by Dokken. That is the sound of a 100-Watt Marshall ***** dimed.

One last thing: Nu/Death Metal guys are wasting their money purchasing tube amps. This style of playing requires an amplifier with tight power supply regulation, and the type of distortion employed mostly consists of odd, higher-order harmonics (that buzzy, top-end sizzle sound). What one needs to look for in Nu/Death Metal amp is one in which the bottom-end does not mush out as the amp is turned up, which, with respect to solid-state amps, is a sign of poor power supply regulation. It is much easier to produce Nu/Death Metal distortion using silicon than it is using tubes. That is why Randall amps were/are popular with Nu/Death Metal players. Also, a closed back cabinet is essential in getting the low-end grunt and crunch found in these genres.

kevbud187
06-11-2005, 03:08 PM
heres my whole take on this thread:

-pedal 5/5(for starters)
-mt-2 nazis go away unless you have input other than "digitech sucks buy a real fuckng pedal"
-Kurt Cobain(Grunge)/Metal dipute: this is a pedal thread + although i hate Kurt the evolution of metal was inevitable. throughout history we have transformed art from fantasy to realism.

ya thats it

moaner
06-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Have you ever heard of an "Ibanez Tube Screamer?" It is based on the TL072 OP Amp, which is a FET-based chip. How about the "Z-Fex Super Hard On?" it also uses FET-based IC circuitry. Finally, the Fulltone Fat Boost is a discrete FET-based device.

WHOA

so although JC445D or somehting chips are hard ot find, you could make a tubescreamer with a TLo072?

Tonestack
06-13-2005, 07:45 PM
WHOA

so although JC445D or somehting chips are hard ot find, you could make a tubescreamer with a TLo072?

Yes! It can be built with many other op amps as well (e.g., NE5532, TLO82, RC4558P, NJM4558, KA4558, OPA2134PA, LF353 et al.). The circuit topology is responsible for most of the sound (the JRC4558 was nothing more than a general purpose op amp). Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling "voodoo." No two ICs perform exactly the same (even from the same family), and no two sets of components will measure exactly the same. The key to getting good sound out of any circuit is to tune it. With the higher-end, boutique pedals, a lot of time is spent sorting parts and tuning the final product. Most people would be suprised to discover how easy it is to revoice a pedal, which usually only requires changing a few components in the RC networks.

Glass_Hero
06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Yes! It can be built with many other op amps as well (e.g., NE5532, TLO82, RC4558P, NJM4558, KA4558, OPA2134PA, LF353 et al.). The circuit topology is responsible for most of the sound (the JRC4558 was nothing more than a general purpose op amp). Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling "voodoo." No two ICs perform exactly the same (even from the same family), and no two sets of components will measure exactly the same. The key to getting good sound out of any circuit is to tune it. With the higher-end, boutique pedals, a lot of time is spent sorting parts and tuning the final product. Most people would be suprised to discover how easy it is to revoice a pedal, which usually only requires changing a few components in the RC networks.
What about an amp. I've got a shi'tty transistor amp that i want to boost. Apart from reworking the whole board, how would i go about doing this? Also revoicing pedals is easy but you have to know a little bit about the circuit and how it works before trying it. I've built a few pedals before and tweaked some that i've bought, it fun and can really change your sound.

Kensai
06-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Pic 1: Look at him doing slides with his slider.

#1 The pics aren't moving. But if you say he's doing a slide :rolleyes:

#2: How do you know he's thinking of using a powerchord, or even caring about a some fancy chord fingersetting when he's posing for some magazine?

Anyways... I'm thinking of getting one of these pedals to go with my digitech wh-1 whammy pedal. Can someone tell me of a band that has a sound remsembling the one that this pedal can produce?
Like... audioslave? :)

SatchVanHalen777
07-01-2005, 08:42 AM
The Digitech Metal Master is the best distortion pedal I have ever played through

1. Morph Knob - Morphs between three amp settings: all the way up is kind of a crunchy metal sound, halfway sounds more like randy rhoads, and the lowest setting is kinda.....ehh.

2. ridiculous sustain - my friend was trying it, and got 50 seconds out of a single note.

3. Great distortion - this is great distortion for all kinds of music: rock, metal, jazz (turn your volume knob down, nice soft crunch)

4. Great lead - bridge pickup with tone knobs down makes for a nice sustainy Steve Vai - For the Love of God kinda tone.

buy the AC adapter, cuz this thing can burn through a 9-volt in half an hour...

FenderBender92
07-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Name one thing about nirvana thats better than bon jovi. The musicianship (fact) and songwriting (opinion) of bon jovi was better. Nirvana made it uncool to try at music, and pretty much wiped out anything that was ever cool

I like both Nirvana and Bon jovi, but Nirvana's Music was so much more original then Bon Jovi's, The lyrics were better, and as far as musicianship goes, Krist Novoselic is a ****ing amazing bassist, and Dave Grohl is one of the best drummers alive. Cobain might not have been great, but some of his solos are incredible. Your a ****ing idiot if you think Grunge was a waste of music, and should probably go drown yourself

Reaper06
07-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't know what to get, the grunge or the death metal... I play well... listen to H.I.M and you'll get what I mean...
i would get the grunge

KurtCobain2902
07-02-2005, 08:26 PM

As stated before, he's not playing it, he's just holding it. And even if he was playing, I don't understand how that is an "incorrect" way to play a power chord.

ScentlessApprentice3
07-14-2005, 05:01 PM

You are a dumbass.
A. Nirvana was the best band ever and changed music forever
B. Rock isn't about being "cool" and Nirvana exercised that principle, it's about playing your music
C. Nirvana was the biggest all-time influence on me and my band and we are now one of ther best underground bands in our region