PDA

View Full Version : Changing Keys

Screamin_Demon_Auz
08-19-2004, 06:03 PM
How exactly does a band go about raising and lowering keys to a song? We usually need them transposed down... does it have to do with the tuning? I need a kind of step by step to send to the guitarists because there beginners and don't know how either

theabstract
08-20-2004, 12:15 AM
k. Here's a chord progression in A minor and we want it in B minor.

Old progression :Amin Cmaj Gmaj Fmaj

New Progression: Bmin Dmaj Amaj Gmaj

Same intervals, different key :)

liz_is_wonderful
09-01-2004, 01:22 AM
k. Here's a chord progression in A minor and we want it in B minor.

Old progression :Amin Cmaj Gmaj Fmaj

New Progression: Bmin Dmaj Amaj Gmaj

Same intervals, different key :)

Yeah, move to the IV or V chord of the home key. So... If you're in C major, modulate to either F Major or G Major. You could also move to the relatvie minors. You find them by counting 2 steps down from the moajor keys. So Amin is Cmaj's relative minor, Dmin is Fmaj's relative minor and Emin is Gmaj's relative minor! :) Sorted.

j0s1ah
09-01-2004, 04:47 AM
to lower the key of a song, just do like abstract said.
lets sy the song is these chords:
C Dm Em F G to lower it one key, just change the first note to a B and then so on.
B C#m D#m E F#

another way to say relative minor is the 6th degree of the major scale that your are playing in. (2 steps down, just worder differenty)

Merkaba
09-01-2004, 01:11 PM
find out how many semitones down the new key is, and adjust the rest of the music that same number of semitones. is there more to this question than im reading into it?

j0s1ah
09-01-2004, 01:49 PM
lol i dont think so....but i someone posted so i threw in my 2 cents...
but yeah this should cover it. :)

modulator
09-03-2004, 12:57 PM
contact a good locksmith?

modulator
09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
contact a good locksmith?
woops wrong forum :chug:

moaner
09-03-2004, 04:30 PM
if its for every song, consider tuning to D or Eb

j0s1ah
09-03-2004, 04:45 PM
or use a capo

chicoplanetDOTcom
02-19-2005, 04:47 PM
I think the easiest way to change keys is just to know your keys. Learn your circle of 5th's. If you dont have time then make a list of them and the chords in each key, and after you see that list a few times you will naturally remember them.
circle of fifths- C, G, D, A, E, B(sometimes Cb), F#(Gb), C# (or Db, same thing), Ab, Eb, Bb, F, and back to C again.

This seems difficult but it isnt. American music is based on it. C is all major notes...no flats or sharps. so in effect, the scale would be CDEFGABC...so a chord would be CEGC...I only used the 1st, 3rd and 5th note. You can use the 7th note to make C7...this means I'd use C,E,G,Bb....usually the 7th is flatted one half step...which is one fret on your guitar.

I've noticed a lot of guitarists seem to want to jump out and play without knowing theory, there really is nothing wrong with that, but you will run into snags without it like the one seen above.