PDA

View Full Version : Tool

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

ToolOwnsYou
07-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Ok guys, here is your "Official" Tool thread. Anything Tool related belongs here, don't create new threads. Also feel free to Discuss A Perfect Circle, Pigmy Love Circus, Zaum, or any other projects the guys from Tool work on. If you post something negative about Tool post up why you think and feel that way. If you post up "Tool Sucks" and don't give your reasoning your not gonna like the consequences.

Ok, lets have some good conversation and everyone enjoy. SFK.

TOOL Music Theory.

This is my attempt to make a decent thread where TOOL fans can come and discuss
What they think TOOL song(s) mean to them, or what message was the band trying to get across.
As the band put it, in an interview, TOOL likes to leave their message hard to grab, they
want you to use your brain. TOOL wants you to make your own meaning of the song, or grasp
what the song means to them.

Im looking for theory/opinion, lyrical/musical breakdown of a song, Please dont spam this thread by writing about how you feel about any certain band member, who best or better, any A Perfect Circle/Tool relations lets try to keep this theory, and theory only. (i.e. Maynard is so cool! Danny is the best! A Perfect Circle is better then TOOL etc etc etc.)

If you are going to post, please no your theory on Aenima, was lame if you are going to post that, please have enough thinking power, to post your own theory if you feel something was incorrect. Intelligence is the key factor for this thread!!! If you are missing a few bolts upstairs, save yourself from the humiliation, and save us the wasted time that we had to use to read your meaningless post. If you are doing a breakdown of a song, please quote lyrics, so everyone can be on the same page. An overview is acceptable also..

Here is an example of what I am looking for.

Album:Opiate
Track: Opiate

I feel this track is being narrated through a pastor/preachers point of view. There is always controversy about if this song is to make you look down, or not believe in Christ. My opinion is the song is talking down about Christ in a sarcastic way

Jesus Christ, why don't you
come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me
with your light
and your lies.

On top of that Maynard is making fun of religion, by calling a religious person blind, deaf, dumb, & born to follow.

Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me,
like me.

Meaning Christians, or a religious person cannot guide themselves in their own direction in life, they cant make their own choices to be happy in life, they have to follow someone to have any sense or happiness in their life. Or the metaphor blind, deaf, dumb meaning a person who doesnt see through lies or gimmicks, yet sees millions of other doing it, so he/she follows.

My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me.
He has needs
like I do.
We both want
to rape you.

Back to how I was saying this song is through a pastors point of view, I feel the needs he speaks of, is money. And raping you would be you sitting there believing lies so he can take all your donation money.

Welp there ya go.. there is a basic outline of "opiate" hope this works out the way I plan... happy posting...

:evil:

nosferatu_man
07-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Wow, nice thread/post man! I kinda had an idea Tool were a really deep band, but I've never really been absolutely in love with them enough to get that much out of their songs. I've heared Maynard in a couple of interviews, and he sounds like a pretty philosophical guy. I think I'll hafta buy some of their albums and check out their lyrics, etc.

I hope this post hasn't been spam.

KoRnyToOL
07-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Hey. The Tool Theory is very interesting. I found out that the Lateralus album was inspired by another theory to do with planet X. If u havent heard about this go and find it out. Crazy ****. Also with the whole using your brain thing, there is a special code playlist in lateralus that if u play the tracks in a different order correctly it like opens your eyes to sum other message. Havent tried it yet but I am dying to although it does freak me out a bit. Dunno why just that feeln you get with listening to tool, you know? Maynards lyrics are the most thought provoking i've come across and i won't even try explaining his songs. Am not sure if they are fully meant to be explained but good luck trying. There is a site sumwhere about tool theorys i cant remember what it is but if u type planet x and tool you'll get there. Lets hope for a continuation of this good thread.

Sorry if this wasnt what you were lookin for.

ToolOwnsYou
07-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Ok. here is a HUGE helpful thing for you guys to check out. It's where everything you need to know about tool is.

http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html

read it. You will save yourself from alot of stupid questions.

Thats nice, yet you must not be catching on. I said you explain your opinion.. not give links to what others think..

ToolOwnsYou
07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
wow, I thought this thread would of done good.... none of you are big enough tool fans to use your brains? what am I missing here...

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 10:32 AM
wow, I thought this thread would of done good.... none of you are big enough tool fans to use your brains? what am I missing here...

Dont worry, there are a few genuine fans around, although like you said, Tool threads always end up getting ruined by stupid comments in some ways.

On your review of opiate, I find the great thing about that song is the fact that so many people have taken a positive message towards Christianity from it. i remember in one interview Adam mentioned that a fan had come up to him praising him on how the song had converted him towards the religious life.
But as Tool always say, any reactions to their songs are good if they're positive

Cicatriz-ESP
07-26-2004, 11:05 AM
I know what the song "Stinkfist" is about, its about Anal Fisting -_0

clearvision
07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
I can't pronounce myself as i only started listening last month. I've really been trying to find out the meaning of Eulogy. This song seems their most contraversial as on the surface seems to be about jesus. However i believe it is about Martin Luther king. He is seen as a Martyr and apparently nailed something to a church. Which can tie into the lyrics. I make this opinion based on reading some of the threads ont hat toolshed site. If you want some real deep and complex ideas i suggest checking on there.

ToolOwnsYou
07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Track: Eulogy
Album: Aenima

This is what the song means to me.. I could be right, I could be wrong.. Usually with TOOL there is no wrong answer. Anyways!

Here is the dictionary Definition of Eulogy:

Eulogy - A laudatory speech or written tribute, especially one praising someone who has died.?

This song can be used towards anyone with power, such as a dictator, president, GOD, etc..
For conversation sake, lets use god. Maynard takes a sarcastic approach in this track, going back and fourth
From being serious, back to sarcastic remarks, lets look at how the song starts

Eulogy Being the bible in this case.

He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him.

So long.
We wish you well.
You told us how you weren't afraid to die.
Well then, so long.
Don't cry.
Or feel too down.
Not all martyrs see divinity.
But at least you tried.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.
Ranting and pointing his finger
At everything but his heart.
We'll miss him.

Maynard sets the theme, of someone powerful standing over a crowd.. I picture the time of Christ, people in robes, with god preaching to people hungry for the word of god. Yet all he is saying was just a waste of breath, a waste of time. Hence Not all martyrs see divinity, But at least you tried. I picture this good ol cartoon act. the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, arguing between each other, just for better understanding. Hence he had a lot to say then he had a lot of nothing to say. The last verse make me picture god, because if you have ever read the bible it describes, that no one is perfect, but Christ. ranting and pointing his finger at everything but his heart.

Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice so strong and loud and I
Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so
Eager to identify with
Someone above the ground,
Someone who seemed to feel the same,
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me.

Back to the devil/angel theory.. This person is lost, so he looks for someone to lead the way for eternity. Some one that could relate to him. And someone above the ground (all the features of Christ) so this person believes in christ, for help. For guidance, yet he is stabbed in the back rather then being at peace.
Facade, stands for a face of a building as in God shows his face, all beautiful and perfect, but when you enter the building its thrashed and messy

Will you? Will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you f*ckin lie.

Don't you step out of line.
Don't you f*ckin lie.

The messy building reflects his lies.. Picture it as if the person has fallen for the beginning message, yet finds out everything he knew or was told were all lies.

Come down.
Get off your f*ckin cross.
We need the f*ckin space to nail the next fool martyr.

To ascend you must die.
You must be crucified
For your sins and your lies.
Goodbye...

I feel this is after he understands that you dont have to be a follower to have eternal happiness. And is somewhat just making fun of the whole situation.

Welp.. there it is hopefully it makes sense, it does to me. And like I has said before I could be totally wrong.

clearvision
07-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Hey dude, some interesting points there. Didn't maynard say the song wasn't about god and jesus? I know this doesn't affect your interpretation but to get the 'true' meaning sureley we have to look somewhere else. I find this incredibly hard when in the lyrics it mentions crosses :angry:

Well int he first stanza you picked out the lines 'he had alot to say, he had alot of nothing to say' i find these lines could talk about Martin luther king (now to be called MLK) You see he tried to change or reform america into a non racist nation. He had many things to say, which may have become reptitive, hence maynards contradiction.

The next point i recieved from this guy called 'mstajduh' on the toolshed forums. in the line 'We need the f*ckin space to nail the next fool martyr the explanation the guy gave was "He was the one doing the nailing his 95 thesis on the corrupt catholic church in wittenburg" this makes sense, Maynard could be using a complex metaphor, but maybe im mistaken. These are the two main arguments i have. Has anyone got any othe rideas on 'eulogy'?

Iai
07-26-2004, 04:57 PM
I worte something very similar to this about Sober once.....just let me go and find it....

Iai
07-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Sober, by Tool.

May I just note before I start that what I present is not the definitive lyric. Maynard oftens changes the words when he sings live, and some parts of the song have two or more possible transcriptions. Here, however, is what I hear and how I interpret it -

There's a shadow just behind me
Shrouding every breath I take
Making every promise empty
Pointing every finger at me
Waiting like a stalking butler
Who upon the finger rests
Murder now the path called "must we"
Just before the sun has come

Jesus, won't you ****ing whistle
Something but the past and done?
Jesus, won't you ****ing whistle
Something but the past and done?

Why can't we not be sober?
I just want to start this over
Why can't we drink forever?
I just want to start things over

I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust in me and fall as well
I will find a center in you
I will chew it up and leave
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down

Mother Mary won't you whisper
Something but what's past and done?
Mother Mary won't you whisper
Something but what's past and done?

Trust me

Why can't we sleep forever?

Trust me

I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me
Trust me

Why can't we sleep forever?

I want what I want

I see this song to be about religious persecution and the differences that can spring up between people when their faiths contradict each other. This is a topic Maynard would revisit later in Schism.

As far as I am aware, both Maynard and Danny Carey (the drummer)are, like myself, Satanists. I think this is a major point to recognize when interpreting the song; the concluding line, "I want what I want", is reflective of many of the core beliefs to Satanism - mainly individualism and the embracing of the traditional Christian sins, which stems from a disbelief in the afterlife. As in "We shall never repent for these sins, therefore we are free to indulge as long as nobody in this life is harmed."

The song begins with some very dark thoughts; these lead me to believe that the song may be referring in some way to the ages where Christianity was the only accepted religion and anyone who held ANY other belief was ridiculed, feared, hanged, et cetera. "There's a shadow just behind me/Shrouding every step I take/Making every promise empty/Pointing every finger at me" would therefore refer to the stigma attached to the subject's individualism. In the witch-burning times, it was common to blame the devil for anything and everything, and anyone who was not a Christian was immediately associated with that. However, I am unclear as to exactly what "Making every promise empty" refers to. Perhaps the man is tempted to betray his beliefs (his promises to himself) to seek acceptance?

"Waiting like a stalking butler" could be a sly dig at organized religion - a butler is a servant. "Who upon the finger rests" is interesting - taken as a statement, it implies an accusation levelled at the religious people; perhaps because they are part of the herd this is some way makes them the evil ones. However, I'm pretty sure it is intended as a question, which throws it out into the open. Just who is in the wrong?

The bridge (the "Jesus/Mary" bit) is bringing the song into the modern age, suggesting that nothing has changed since those times. While Jesus is whistling his merry tune of persecution from ages past, most have moved on and the song is old and no longer relevant to a society that - at least in theory - embraces all peoples.

The chorus at first seems to beg the question 'What are they drinking?', but I think it's much more important to ask why. The subject wants to drink to forget; to forget about the past and bring the religion into the 20th century (the song was released in '92). This is re-enforced when the lyric changed from "drink forever" to "sleep forever"; sleep it off and in the morning you'll remember nothing. Or maybe it means to lay the feelings to sleep forever and never mention them again. Even, if you want to be spectacularly sinister, "sleep forever" could equal "death".

The "I am...." section brings to mind the scenes in A Clockwork Orange where the main character is tied down, has his eyes clamped open, and is forced to watch the abuse he has dished out on others. From becoming a participator to becoming a spectator, the feelings change completely. One of the two parties in the song could therefore have switched sides, so to speak, and has now used the new perspective to see how wrong they were. Of course, it could just be sarcastic; this actually ties in with the lyric better. "I will only complicate you" is a sideswipe at the simplicity most people choose; to just believe what others tellyoudo and turn a blind eye to anything else that may complicate your blind faith. The "center in you", I feel I barely need to mention, is the soul. The last two lines again express a cynicism regarding the afterlife; religion raises people's hopes of going to Heaven/Nirvana/whatever, onlyfor them to be brought down when they discover there is no afterlife, or even brought down to hell when they find out they were born into the wrong religion.

Were it not at that time in the morning when you start reciting South Park jokes, I probably wouldn't have spotted that.

So that just about concludes it. As I said, Tool would re-visit this theme three albums down the line, in Schism. However, there is a very nice theory concerning Lateralus and Kabbalah....but I'll save that for another day.

I fully suggest everybody look for hidden meanings in Maynard's lyrics between the hours of 4 and 6 in the morning. It's a great experience.

Bear in mind this was written more than a year ago, for my diary. Is that the sort of thing you're after?

Iai
07-26-2004, 05:07 PM
I found out later the Satanist thing above is wrong, but they're fans of Aleister Crowley, so the theory stands. And I think the release date is wrong.

HeReTik
07-26-2004, 05:08 PM
hmmm...

I think Eulogy is about people standing up over everyone, with a voice so high and a meaning so strong, that he affects the weaker crowd to follow him and his opinion..

Thats what I think after reading the lyrics, but hey, im only fifteen.

Nice song btw.
Anyone figured Schism?

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Schisim was supposedly about the problems between the Catholic and protestant churches, and how 'rediscovering communication' would help the two re-unite and realise they have a common goal. The split is also seen to be something that only occured through peoples arrogance, and that there is no big difference between the two 'I know the pieces fit'.
And it has the greatest Tool lyric for me 'Cold silence has a tendancy to atrophy any sense of compassion' -Another reference to the lack of communication between the two and how it has stopped any common ground forming

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 05:16 PM
hmmm...

I think Eulogy is about people standing up over everyone, with a voice so high and a meaning so strong, that he affects the weaker crowd to follow him and his opinion..

I was under the impression the first time i heard Eulogy that it was a tribute of sorts to Bill Hicks. Anyone else find this?

Iai
07-26-2004, 05:17 PM
It's pretty obvious that Schism is about warring religions - but I didn't know it was about those two, specifically. That makes a lot of sense, thanks for sharing.

Iai
07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
I was under the impression the first time i heard Eulogy that it was a tribute of sorts to Bill Hicks. Anyone else find this?

I think most of Aenima is a tribute of sorts to Bill Hicks, his humour, and his beliefs - hence his picture in the inlay and his sample on Third Eye. It's more pronounced on Eulogy than on most songs. However it's not necessarily about him....more from his view.

Samm
07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
I've see Schism as the breakdown of a relationship between two people... It's kind of a simple theory but it ties in with a theory about Lateralus as a whole ablum that I'm currently developing...

Lateralus talks of Spirals so i'm guessing all the songs are linked... and (whoa i just thought right this second) maybe the alternative tracklist can help me theory complete my theory...

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 06:38 PM
I've see Schism as the breakdown of a relationship between two people... It's kind of a simple theory but it ties in with a theory about Lateralus as a whole ablum that I'm currently developing...

Lateralus talks of Spirals so i'm guessing all the songs are linked... and (whoa i just thought right this second) maybe the alternative tracklist can help me theory complete my theory...

Someone gave a great insight into the alternative tracklist, although it can be hard to do, if you read
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html

vixfinger11metallica20
07-26-2004, 06:45 PM
You know I have always noticed that Tool do not confine themselves to the boundries of religion...they are pretty free in expressing their thoughts..which I agree with most of the times. I wouldn't call them Satanic. I think they just disagree with what most people think. These guys get their thoughts across in an ambiguous manner...it's always open to more than one interpretation.

Tool make beautiful instrumental music. Their music along with Maynard's voice...pure heaven. I really like Adam Jones .. I don't know why many people think he is the weakest link. Can any one tell me why if they feel the same??

P.S : this is all my opinion.

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Tool make beautiful instrumental music. Their music along with Maynard's voice...pure heaven. I really like Adam Jones .. I don't know why many people think he is the weakest link. Can any one tell me why if they feel the same??
P.S : this is all my opinion.

people always criticise Adam as he uses a lot of effects and people say he doesn't have much skill as a guitarist (although anyone who hears his amazing tremelos/speed picking will know otherwise).

I (obviously) think he's great. Its not just guitaring, it's also his videos and artwork that helps make Tool great

bob dole
07-26-2004, 06:54 PM
this is kinda spam but id like to thank you guys for making me want to start listening to tool. it seems as though they are one of the few bands that puts real meaning in their songs and would never have realized it 'till i rea this thread

Iai
07-26-2004, 06:55 PM
I (obviously) think he's great. Its not just guitaring, it's also his videos and artwork that helps make Tool great

Yes. It's for that exact reason that Adam Jones is an indispensible member of Tool - he is, in effect, their public image. When people think of Tool, do they see Maynard's face, or do they see the videos playing in their minds? My guess, for most, is the latter.

Atreyu346
07-26-2004, 06:58 PM
about tool i will say they like to speak there mind about religion, religion is a big topic in alot of there lyrics on what toolownsyou said and that alot of the words that you probely never heard of are religious based like schism which means to break apart from a church but if you did not know that you would think it is something diffrent meaning your intake on the song well for all tool songs there is always diffrent meanings and i think what tool relates to is there and what the person listening to it relates to

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 06:58 PM
this is kinda spam but id like to thank you guys for making me want to start listening to tool. it seems as though they are one of the few bands that puts real meaning in their songs and would never have realized it 'till i rea this thread

Its not spam, its a nice compliment :thumb:

*adds another to conversion list*

Iai
07-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Its not spam, its a nice compliment :thumb:

*adds another to conversion list*

This is a kind of n00bish thing to do, but just what is the conversion list?

Adam Jones is GOD
07-26-2004, 07:02 PM
This is a kind of n00bish thing to do, but just what is the conversion list?

Nothing thats official, i just like it when another person is turned towards Tool. I count it as a personal goal to make people listen to them, hnce the (fictional) list

Iai
07-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Nothing thats official, i just like it when another person is turned towards Tool. I count it as a personal goal to make people listen to them, hnce the (fictional) list

I'm sure I saw it on user profiles....

*goes to check*

Oh, I'm thinking of referrals. Never mind.

Antennas to Heaven
07-26-2004, 07:15 PM
The next point i recieved from this guy called 'mstajduh' on the toolshed forums. in the line 'We need the f*ckin space to nail the next fool martyr the explanation the guy gave was "He was the one doing the nailing his 95 thesis on the corrupt catholic church in wittenburg" this makes sense, Maynard could be using a complex metaphor, but maybe im mistaken. These are the two main arguments i have. Has anyone got any othe rideas on 'eulogy'?

Although I wouldn't say your interperetation is "bad", Martin Luther King Jr. wasnt the one who nailed the 95 theses to the front of the church door. The man was Martin Luther, who disagreed with the church, and gave 95 reasons for a reform, several hundred years ago. This created Lutheran following, and open the flood gates for other Roman Catholic "spin-off" sects.

bob dole
07-26-2004, 07:31 PM
ok i am now a first time tool listener and ive found i really enjoy their music. here is my interpretation of the song reflection.

"I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole.
Defeated, Concede and move closer. I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness.
How pitiful."

there i found they are curious about sucide while still trying to live with the nothing he has been left with.

"And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping.
The moon tells me a secret.
My confidant.
As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own
A million light reflections
pass over me
It's source is bright and endless. She resuscitates the hopeless.
Without her we are lifeless satellites drifting."

there it's stating that even during the hardest of times there is always one thing or person tha will bring hope and light into your life.

"So crucify the ego before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you and let the words spill through
Just let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason."

you have to leave your ego before you lose the things you do have in life. you just need to make things right and life will go back to the way it used to be.

Believeless
07-26-2004, 07:50 PM
^^^ Antennas to heaven, you beat me to it. Anyway, I got a very strong message from the hidden track on Undertow, although its not very figurative. Its basically a kermit the frog like voice preaching in the typical sermon manner. I wont type the whole thing, but he goes on about how he heard the carrots on his farm screaming and crying, and comparing their harvest to a holocaust. The song then breaks into a rhythmic tribal beat with the lyrics "this is necessary, life feeds on life" repeated. From this, I get the impression that pain and murder are an unavoidable part of nature. These "activists" preach animal rights, but what about the plants?? They could very well feel as much pain as humans or animals. If anyone gets anything out of the last part of the track, be free to share becaus Im stuck there.

ThePanicInNeedlePark
07-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Adam jones is GOD, that link you gave all us lucky people was really intreeging, its a shame the guys email adress doesnt work, but really more links like that would be greatly apreciated :D

Metal!
07-26-2004, 08:15 PM
you mean the part that says "satan, satan", and fades off and then the stories about extacy and acid? lol kinda obvious drug induced antics.................love it lol

Adam Jones is GOD
07-27-2004, 07:15 AM
you mean the part that says "satan, satan", and fades off and then the stories about extacy and acid? lol kinda obvious drug induced antics.................love it lol

Very funny song, and if you haven't noticed, the track is at 6 minutes and 66 seconds on track 6 (although it varies at points depending on your CD player).
The same with other hidden tracks on the other albums.

clearvision
07-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Although I wouldn't say your interperetation is "bad", Martin Luther King Jr. wasnt the one who nailed the 95 theses to the front of the church door. The man was Martin Luther, who disagreed with the church, and gave 95 reasons for a reform, several hundred years ago. This created Lutheran following, and open the flood gates for other Roman Catholic "spin-off" sects.

Thanks dude, I only know from what i read, maybe that dude was talking about the older ML. My interpretation now doesn't make too much sense. It is so difficult to explain the crucifiction and get off your f*cking cross bits without talking about jesus.

metally_mental
07-27-2004, 08:58 AM
A guy way back there said that 'Stinkfist' is about anal fisting.

How wrong you are. I read something about Stinkfist somewhere, and it is now what I believe the song is about.

What i believe, is that Stinkfist is about the desensitisation of the human race. For example, back in the 1970's it was shocking to put certain things on television, like nudity, drugs etc. Nowadays, people dont 'want more', they 'need more' to be stimulated. It's ok to show that stuff now as we are used to it. We, the human race are becoming desensitised. "Knuckle/Fist/Shoulder deep within the borderline". This is saying that we need more and more to stimulate us, and each time we want to get it as close to the borderline (past that being too far) as we can without going over it. Another example would be taking as much heroin as you can to get as stimulated as you can without overdosing.

ToolOwnsYou
07-27-2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks.
My goal is the same as "adam jones is GOD" to spread the word of Rev. Maynard & TOOL. Alot of people dont like the band, because they dont understand them. they are "too weird, too satanic" which I feel is totally wrong. if you actually try understanding lyrics, and making sense of their music as a whole... you cant help but love them... very funny, very intelligent.

Lets try keeping this thread alive, by not spaming & trying to keep the theorys flowing. keep rockin!

ToolOwnsYou
07-27-2004, 11:27 AM

How wrong you are. I read something about Stinkfist somewhere, and it is now what I believe the song is about.

What i believe, is that Stinkfist is about the desensitisation of the human race. For example, back in the 1970's it was shocking to put certain things on television, like nudity, drugs etc. Nowadays, people dont 'want more', they 'need more' to be stimulated. It's ok to show that stuff now as we are used to it. We, the human race are becoming desensitised. "Knuckle/Fist/Shoulder deep within the borderline". This is saying that we need more and more to stimulate us, and each time we want to get it as close to the borderline (past that being too far) as we can without going over it. Another example would be taking as much heroin as you can to get as stimulated as you can without overdosing.

hm.. good theory. I agree with you.it makes alot of sense.
where he says...

"Something has to change.
Un-deniable dilemma.
Boredom's not a burden
Anyone should bear.

Constant over stimu-lation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way."

"Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear." goes back almost exactly like you were saying america have been desensitised, it takes more to "stimulate" the mind. good ol' "Leave it to Beaver" just aint cutting it anymore.

"Blend and balance
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way"

Pain = Murder/Violence; Comfort- Sex/Drugs.
Till you will not have me any other way = If you fill the human mind with sex, drugs, murder, hate.. then removed it all, and air old re-runs of Happy Days, Leave it to Beaver, the Three Stooges etc, what do you then would happen to the Ratings? just imangine alot of pissed off people.

" Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. Turn around and take my hand."

"Knuckle deep inside the borderline.
This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to.
Relax. Slip away."

I'd say this is the view of the major television networks, Basicly anal fisting/raping you, sucking you into the grime of american t.v.

The end.. im at work and I gotta get busy.. I could keep going but i'll save you, and save myself from getting yelled at by the boss for not working.. Thats my view on the track, basically the same as metally_mental, enjoy!

Adam Jones is GOD
07-27-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree with the previous comments on Stinkfist, i used to view it as a song about drug addiction, and how to get the desired effect each time, more is needed, but the views of the media images etc is one that I now see as the overall meaning.
This theme seems to be tied in with the video well, there are a few scenes, for example, the breathing apparatus could be seen as the need for more stimulation, something that is everyday and can be done anywhere fed through a single source. I interpret this as the media delievering ideas and themes that we could find anywhere in day to day life, but being fed to us through them.
Another scene where to two people's heads a fused together is a way of showing how it has caused all our minds to be on the same level, and how independent thought is being removed.
This would also explain the end well, as the character peels away his skin, and returns to colour, not the blue complextion, shows the independence and non conformity that the band itself has adopted, breaking away from the rest. The creature on his shoulder at the end represents the fact that no matter how we change, there will always be something there to curse us, constantly on our back, attempting to manipulate us.

Once again, this is just my opinion, Tool videos are even more open ended than lyrics, it often is Adam's take on the songs, and his interpretation of them, and (apart from probably Hush) there could be a dozen different views on them from different fans.

Wanker
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM

if thats what the song's about, then whats with the line "show me that you love me/and the pieces come together" ?

anyways, im a huge Tool fan. i've even got the golden spiral as my avatar (well, because of Tool and the movie Pi). but yeah, i'll probably get around to personally interpreting one of their songs in the near future.

metally_mental
07-28-2004, 08:38 AM
^^
ok, firstly its "show me that you love me and that we belong together". i don't know how this could tie into the song, other than just going along with the metaphorical meaning of the song, anal fisting. i would be interested on on peoples interpretation of that particular line though because im sure it has more meaning than that.

metally_mental
07-28-2004, 09:02 AM
ok "Forty-six and Two".
great song but wtf does it mean??

i read somewhere that its about humans evolving, leaving our primal ways behind... "stepping through the shadow, coming out the other side". before analysing id like to say that maynard is a big fan of the psychoanalyst, Carl Jung. His theory of the "shadow" is in this song. Jung argued that the shadow is our alter ego.. everything we hate about ourselves, formed into this despicable dark counterpart of our psyche, that we resent in ourselves.

"shadows shedding skin, ive been pickin scabs again.
ive been digging through my old muscles, looking for a clue."

Maynard is saying he is looking through himself, looking at his past and how he has changed, and looking at everything he dislikes in himself, and is now ready to move on. he is saying his shadow is shedding things he used to hate about himself, because he is past all that now and more mature.

"ive been crawlin on my belly, clearing out what could have been.
ive been wallowing in my own confused and, insecure delusions"

talking about the past still, realising how stupid he used to be eg. maynard in the army?? lol. clearing out means forgetting old dreams of a conformed lifestyle.

"For a piece to cross me over, or a word to guide me in.
I wanna feel the changes coming down.
I wanna know what I've been hiding in, my shadow."

for a piece, i think could mean just a piece of inspiration, be it music, art anything. anything to inspire him to take another look at himself, and the world around him. he is saying he is ready to feel the changes, and ready to face everything he has resented and hidden away in his alter ego, his shadow.

now about the forty-six and two bit. apparently, there used to be this guy who believed that there were three different kinds of humans, with different chromosomes. the aboriginals of australia supposedly has less than us, 36 or something. this being determined by their lifestyle and beliefs. the other group i forget now, but us has 42 and 2 i think*. not important anyway because all humans have the same chromosomes (except for people with down syndrome who are either missing one or have an extra one, i forget now.) but, supposedly we were supposed to evolve, and gain more chromosomes, presenting us with new abilities as humans. a nice theory, but all a lot of bull5hit in reality. but hey, it made for a great song and maynard just used it as an example of evolution in ourselves, and the process of 'individualisation'. another one of jungs theories. This song not being specific to that theory, just using it as a guideline to get his message across.

now, the rest of the song is just about maynard being ready to experience the world in a new light, and to be open to everything the world throws at him. "to be paranoid and to lie". he is even ready to face it when the world throws s hit in his face, or he does things he doesnt want to do like lie. you get the idea, and this is again, an opinion i stole from someone else because i otherwise would have had no fu ck ing clue about this song. i recognised the carl jung stuff though, and if you want to understand the title aenima, and the song aenema, research his stuff. very interesting reading. cheers... :thumb:

Adam Jones is GOD
07-28-2004, 06:01 PM
How has this thread managed to slip onto page 5? I think there are still some interesting point sto be taken from it,and a lot of people ar efinally giving interesting comments on Tool for a change. Although from reading another APC thread, I think it should be extended to discuss APC lyrics too, as they are just as complex as Maynards in Tool.

(although if I get flamed for bumping this, ill let this thread die)

SonorKen
07-28-2004, 06:12 PM
This is one of my favorite topics. The beauty of Tool is thier lyrics can mean multiple things to different people. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent chatting with people about Tool lyrics, what they mean, how they arrange and compose thier music. If ya ever get bored and wanna talk shop lemme know! SFK.

Adam Jones is GOD
07-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Good to see this thread now had Mod sponsorship of a sorts (Cheers Stagefrightken :thumb:). I figured I should write my own in depth review of a Tool song, and hope the fans will re emerge and discuss.

Tool – The Patient

This is my personal favourite Tool song (that isn’t a live track, at least), and it is also one that is surprisingly thin on lyrics. Again though, it could be interpreted many ways. Here is my interpretation:

A groan of tedium escapes me, startling the fearful.
Is this a test?

I see this as MJK interpreting the reactions that previous comments and lyrics have received off certain people in the media, etc. The groan of tedium being his take on the world (songs like Ænima and Opiate spring to mind), and the criticisms the band has received being the test.

But I'm still right here, giving blood and keeping faith. And I'm still right here.

Going with the theme, it means that he is still making music, and putting his heart into the songs, and believing they are having a positive impact.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

The rewards could either be the reactions of the fans, or depending on MJK’s attitude with the song, could be the record sales and profits (He has a tendency to be honest or conformist about trivial matters at times, or do the opposite and creates bizarre but believable hoax versions). The tedious path would refer to the music industry, which we know can be a long road for bands with true talent (and unfortunately, a stroll for those who are deemed ‘the next best thing’).

If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along this tedious path I've chosen here,

This refers to other artists that Tool has seen along the way that have run into problems or broke up due to the pressures (Tool once said in an interview that all their peers have seemingly gone, eg. RATM, Soundgarden, etc, and it was uup to them to fly the flag), and the desire to show them that there is hope. The healing reference could be their attempt to restore some kind of consistency to real music, and not all these moment of glory pop-punk/emo acts making up the masses.

I certainly would've walked away by now.
And I still may. And I still may. And I still may.

I'm gonna wait it out.

This shows that MJK knows that Tool or any other of his project culd not last forever, and if the current trends continue, there may be no hope for music. But it ends on the positive note that he will continue to create music and see what the end product is.

Discuss or destroy as you will, but please be constructive. (as always, this is merely an opinion, not fact. MJK said himself that most people's interpretations are way off, read it here in the opinions page http://toolshed.down.net/0000.html)

Everything_and_Nothing_3:15
07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
So Danny Carey and MJK basically worship the devil in some sort of sense, because MJK makes fun of Jesus Christ in some songs.

aquamantar
07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
for all Tool fans!!!

Check this out:
http://www.thirdeyegathering.com
It's a three day festival of Art, Music and Philosophy, formerly known as the Toolgathering.
Hint: use the password "REVE" to get a ticket discount online!

Peace.

halfdeadhippo
07-28-2004, 09:16 PM
So Danny Carey and MJK basically worship the devil in some sort of sense, because MJK makes fun of Jesus Christ in some songs.

How does making fun of Jesus imply devil worship? :confused:

Xdrown6in6bileX
07-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Well first off Maynard may worship satan because he was the only child of a baptist minister.. Right now I will say I do not know much about religion so he may have been brought up with so many restrictions he sees jesus christ as the "bad guy" and has turned against the religion.

"Die Eier Von Sataan"

is German for the eggs of satan. This song is just a German recipie (sp) about making some kind of tradtional Germanic dish. My stepdad happens to be from Berlin, so he had just told me what it meant, and it was pretty much like they took a page out of a book and translated it into German. This thread has made me want to go and work on a few songs, so I shall post my finding soon.

twinkles
07-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Track: The Grudge
Album: Lateralis

My interpritation: Excuse for possibly the most legendary scream in a song EVER!

tool rool

07-28-2004, 10:51 PM
How does making fun of Jesus imply devil worship?
Well Jesus Christ is one of the Higher figures in the Christian religion right? Therefore disrestpecting some one of higher power in an organization like christanity shows that you don't care for them and don't like them. So when some one doesnt' like some thing they usually go in the opposite direciton of it, the opposite of christanity being Satanism. For example, someone who doesn't like to drive cars drives a motorcycle.

eon blue apocolypse
07-28-2004, 10:57 PM
this is the best thread ever...well i caught on a little late so im gonna make a run through of some things ive noticed and i want to say something about..
Adam Jones is great, everybody thinks good guitar skills are soloing..thats why noone gives much credit to kurt cobain..but making up good guitar riffs is **** hard and they are both good at it.

Maynard is god.

i always pictured eulogy being about hitler..im sure its wrong but, what i saw in my head.

im not much on analyzing tool songs, i just like to read others analyzations cause i figure all of these are probably wrong but Maynard is never gonna tell us what the songs mean anyway, so appreciation of the opinions are highly noted.

Thanks for the awesome thread,and please keep it going
Peace
Jeff

07-28-2004, 10:59 PM
What is the song Hooker with a ***** about?

SonorKen
07-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Granted Tool has different religous beliefs, that doesnt make them bad people. Thats one of the greatest things about living in the United States, freedom of religion. If they choose to sing about politics, religion, or whatever they don't have to worry about the secret police breaking in and hauling them off.

I don't believe the members of Tool are Satanists at all. I feel they are spiritual people with different beliefs. If anything, and this is a guess, I would say they were Athiest. I have no idea tho, it would be interesting to get into a religious conversation with some of them.....

07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Some one needs to have an interview with the band so we can find out what all there song mean.

SonorKen
07-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Eulogy is about Bill Hicks, and Aenema is basically one of Bill Hicks visions about the natural demise of California. I think the song also touches on how the human race has turned life in general into a self centered, self promoting materialistic world with LA being the center of the universe for most of these people. Again, this is the beauty of Tool lyrics, so many people get different things from them...

rollhockey77
07-28-2004, 11:16 PM
If I remember correctly, Hooker with a ***** is about a kid goin up to them tellen them that they sold out. Something like that.

Xdrown6in6bileX
07-28-2004, 11:17 PM
I am not sure at all...But I think Hooker With a ***** is about the guy on Harry manback...Like I said, I don't know, that is what I thought.

Xdrown6in6bileX
07-28-2004, 11:20 PM
this is the best thread ever...well i caught on a little late so im gonna make a run through of some things ive noticed and i want to say something about..
Adam Jones is great, everybody thinks good guitar skills are soloing..thats why noone gives much credit to kurt cobain..but making up good guitar riffs is **** hard and they are both good at it.

Maynard is god.

i always pictured eulogy being about hitler..im sure its wrong but, what i saw in my head.

im not much on analyzing tool songs, i just like to read others analyzations cause i figure all of these are probably wrong but Maynard is never gonna tell us what the songs mean anyway, so appreciation of the opinions are highly noted.

Thanks for the awesome thread,and please keep it going
Peace
Jeff

I completely agree. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Five Magics
07-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Song/Album: Aenima

Basically what I get from here is that we all hear predictions of the world coming to an end or certain areas being naturally devasted and such. And Maynard seems to be saying how really bad of a place L.A. is and the only way to change it is for it to disappear. Just even looking at the CD itself where you see a picture of the USA and then the picture has most of California under water. And this is where the "Learn to Swim" line appeals.

"It's a bull**** three ring circus sideshow of freaks here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call LA The only way to fix it is to flush it all away. Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day. Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay. Some say a comet will fall from the sky. Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves. Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still. Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s. Some say the end is near. Some say we'll see armageddon soon. I certainly hope we will cuz I sure could use a vacation from this Silly ****, stupid ****..."

Xdrown6in6bileX
07-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Album: AEnima
song: H.

I have started just a little bit of this song...I feel it is about Adam and Eve.

What's coming through is alive
what's holding up is a mirror (Adam seeing Eve and knowing she is part of him)
but what's singing songs is a snake (the snake telling them to eat the forbidden fruit)
looking to turn my piss to wine

I only have that little bit...But it does somewhat match up to what I understand of the Adam and Eve story in the bible.

SilenceNOmorE
07-28-2004, 11:36 PM
You'll notice each Tool album has at least 1 grand theme to it (Lateralus has about 10, and counting, actually)

Opiate talks alot about Christianity and the way people are control through certain establishments and institutions (This is also the generally accepted interpretation of the meaning of Tool's name)

Undertow follows a water theme. (I'm not sure if there are any other lyrical themes to the album, I don't actually own it, you may throw rocks at me now...)

Adam Jones has said that "Third Eye" is essentially the "extended remix of Aenima," meaning that all the subject matter in the individual songs in Aenima are pretty much reiterated in Third Eye. Also, the album deals alot with the fakery of certain people and how they choose to judge without full knowledge of a situation (See particularly Eulogy, H., Hooker With a *****, Aenema)

Lateralus has the whole qabalistic theme to it, (each song corresponds to a seperate branch of the qabalistic tree of life). I also see the album relating to the aftermath of a relationship The Grudge dealing with bitter feelings just after a break-up, The Patient dealing with being in a relationship that isn't working, yet choosing to "wait it out," Schism dealing with the reunification of a pair of souls, the same goes with Parabol/Parabola (A parabola can be equated to two bodies next to each other "A reminder here that I am not alone/ in this body"), Ticks dealing with more the relationship coming to a close as one person realises they are only contributing, and the other partner just "Sucks and sucks." Lateralus I'm not sure about, Reflection/Disposition/Triad also seems to deal with relationships and loneliness (pine away). There are also other themes to the Lateralus album, including "the holy gift theory" explained at www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html

metally_mental
07-29-2004, 03:09 AM
i agree with stage, my guess would be that tool are atheists. they wouldnt practice what they preach. tool poke fun at all the holes in religion, so they wouldnt worship satan when satan is a product of RELIGION.

Hooker with a ***** is about a tool fan who maynard met at a concert, well that is my understanding. "OGT". i think this is original gangster tool, as in the original fan "from 92' the first ep". i would also like to hear more about H coz i have no idea, its obvious its not about heroin.

Stage, im curious about your take on eulogy. please explain why you think eulogy is about hicks?? i mean the whole "get off your ****ing cross" thing doesnt work for me, seeing as the bands were big fans of bill.

EDIT: i read another post up there, die eier von satan is actually a recipie for hash cookies, lol and when he yells "..und keine eier" that means "and no eggs". looks like ur old man didnt want to tell you what it really meant lol. :D

Kage
07-29-2004, 03:18 AM
Well Jesus Christ is one of the Higher figures in the Christian religion right? Therefore disrestpecting some one of higher power in an organization like christanity shows that you don't care for them and don't like them. So when some one doesnt' like some thing they usually go in the opposite direciton of it, the opposite of christanity being Satanism. For example, someone who doesn't like to drive cars drives a motorcycle.

What are you a fucking idiot?? Have you ever heard of an Athiest? Someone who doesn't believe in God, but isn't a satan-worshipper. Your comment is the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard. You can be neutral, believing in niether God, nor the devil. Or you could believe in God, but not be a Christian because Maynard doesn't believe in organized religion, but who's to say he doesn't think there is a God or worships the devil? God dammit, everything's not so black and white so just keep your dumbass comments to yourself.

Refl
07-29-2004, 05:07 AM
Errrmmm, one very important thing to remember is that all the members of tool have a very very twisted sense of humour. take everything you hear from tool with a pinch of salt. Theyre idea of funny is people swapping ideas about hidden and important themes in theyre music when they know there arent any.

Bottom line for me is that tool make some of the best music possibly ever, and they rock totally. :D

petrucci_wannabee
07-29-2004, 05:23 AM
ok "Forty-six and Two".
great song but wtf does it mean??

i read somewhere that its about humans evolving, leaving our primal ways behind... "stepping through the shadow, coming out the other side". before analysing id like to say that maynard is a big fan of the psychoanalyst, Carl Jung. His theory of the "shadow" is in this song. Jung argued that the shadow is our alter ego.. everything we hate about ourselves, formed into this despicable dark counterpart of our psyche, that we resent in ourselves.

"shadows shedding skin, ive been pickin scabs again.
ive been digging through my old muscles, looking for a clue."

Maynard is saying he is looking through himself, looking at his past and how he has changed, and looking at everything he dislikes in himself, and is now ready to move on. he is saying his shadow is shedding things he used to hate about himself, because he is past all that now and more mature.

"ive been crawlin on my belly, clearing out what could have been.
ive been wallowing in my own confused and, insecure delusions"

talking about the past still, realising how stupid he used to be eg. maynard in the army?? lol. clearing out means forgetting old dreams of a conformed lifestyle.

"For a piece to cross me over, or a word to guide me in.
I wanna feel the changes coming down.
I wanna know what I've been hiding in, my shadow."

for a piece, i think could mean just a piece of inspiration, be it music, art anything. anything to inspire him to take another look at himself, and the world around him. he is saying he is ready to feel the changes, and ready to face everything he has resented and hidden away in his alter ego, his shadow.

now about the forty-six and two bit. apparently, there used to be this guy who believed that there were three different kinds of humans, with different chromosomes. the aboriginals of australia supposedly has less than us, 36 or something. this being determined by their lifestyle and beliefs. the other group i forget now, but us has 42 and 2 i think*. not important anyway because all humans have the same chromosomes (except for people with down syndrome who are either missing one or have an extra one, i forget now.) but, supposedly we were supposed to evolve, and gain more chromosomes, presenting us with new abilities as humans. a nice theory, but all a lot of bull5hit in reality. but hey, it made for a great song and maynard just used it as an example of evolution in ourselves, and the process of 'individualisation'. another one of jungs theories. This song not being specific to that theory, just using it as a guideline to get his message across.

now, the rest of the song is just about maynard being ready to experience the world in a new light, and to be open to everything the world throws at him. "to be paranoid and to lie". he is even ready to face it when the world throws s hit in his face, or he does things he doesnt want to do like lie. you get the idea, and this is again, an opinion i stole from someone else because i otherwise would have had no fu ck ing clue about this song. i recognised the carl jung stuff though, and if you want to understand the title aenima, and the song aenema, research his stuff. very interesting reading. cheers... :thumb:

Just to clear up the part about the chromosomes, aborigines have 44+2, the moajority of us have 44+2, the song is about trying to achieve 46+2.

Another intereseting point at the start is Maynard whispers 'join me, join me my child as we step through the shadow', but it sounds alot like he's saying something about jungian.

As for the very cool bridge, lying, paranoia etc. are the things you give up when you achieve 46+2, at least that's what I think.

Adam Jones is GOD
07-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Somebody mentioned Message To Harry Manback a while ago. From what I know of it, the story is that it was a prank phonecall that was left one someones answering machine, though whether it was sent or recieved by any memeber of Tool (If at all it was them) is a mystery to me. Although the hidden track on the end of Undertow is a phone message left by Adam as a joke, but still contains some in depth meanings.

Adam Jones is GOD
07-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Errrmmm, one very important thing to remember is that all the members of tool have a very very twisted sense of humour. take everything you hear from tool with a pinch of salt. :D

Quoted for truth, one thing most people should try and get their heads around before making assumptions

Xdrown6in6bileX
07-29-2004, 10:52 AM
i agree with stage, my guess would be that tool are atheists. they wouldnt practice what they preach. tool poke fun at all the holes in religion, so they wouldnt worship satan when satan is a product of RELIGION.

Hooker with a ***** is about a tool fan who maynard met at a concert, well that is my understanding. "OGT". i think this is original gangster tool, as in the original fan "from 92' the first ep". i would also like to hear more about H coz i have no idea, its obvious its not about heroin.

Stage, im curious about your take on eulogy. please explain why you think eulogy is about hicks?? i mean the whole "get off your ****ing cross" thing doesnt work for me, seeing as the bands were big fans of bill.

EDIT: i read another post up there, die eier von satan is actually a recipie for hash cookies, lol and when he yells "..und keine eier" that means "and no eggs". looks like ur old man didnt want to tell you what it really meant lol. :D

Yeah, It keeps saying "..And no eggs" but the song's title does translate to "the eggs of satan"...I am positive about this...Check it out.

metally_mental
07-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Just to clear up the part about the chromosomes, aborigines have 44+2, the moajority of us have 44+2, the song is about trying to achieve 46+2.

Another intereseting point at the start is Maynard whispers 'join me, join me my child as we step through the shadow', but it sounds alot like he's saying something about jungian.

As for the very cool bridge, lying, paranoia etc. are the things you give up when you achieve 46+2, at least that's what I think.
ok thanx, i knew it was somewhere around 42/44. one thing though, its impossible to gain more chromosomes scientifically, but a **** good song all the same. i dont think maynard was being very specific about evolution, i think he just used that as a stage to sing about evolution on (if that makes any sense).

metally_mental
07-29-2004, 05:29 PM
yeh most of us know that. but why can't we discuss what the songs/albums mean to us? that's what this thread is about isnt it? it was worth mentioning that though for the people who dont know about tool's humour.

petrucci_wannabee
07-29-2004, 05:37 PM
ok thanx, i knew it was somewhere around 42/44. one thing though, its impossible to gain more chromosomes scientifically, but a **** good song all the same. i dont think maynard was being very specific about evolution, i think he just used that as a stage to sing about evolution on (if that makes any sense).

I've not really got time to get into this, but read up on Drunvalo Melchizadek and look at http://www.merkaba.co.il/Grid.htm

Warning - This shits hard going

Edit - The bit at the bottom is most relevant

ThePanicInNeedlePark
07-29-2004, 06:27 PM
"So Danny Carey and MJK basically worship the devil in some sort of sense, because MJK makes fun of Jesus Christ in some songs."

has to be the most abscent minded thing I have ever heard, have you ever heard of the grey area? for instance does me not agreeing with the war on IRAQ make me a suicide bomber, man how can you be such an idiot, sarcasm is the key to most popular acts not excluding tool.

you guys have failed to mention the soundscapes that apear on the lateralus album. Above all else i believe this album has beautiful music, the songs are stretched to creat wonderful sounds that you can truely loose yourself in, Adam Jones is possibley the best digital delay user i have ever heard along with other effects he uses. Just the sound of Maynards voice is so powerful (not the screams) that you dont even have to know what he is saying to aprecieate it.

The lyrical content is a bonus for me :D

Kage
07-29-2004, 07:07 PM
^^Well put

If man is 5...
07-29-2004, 07:33 PM
i put the words from 'die eir von satan' into a translator and combined with my own knowledge of german this is what you get:

The Eggs/Balls of Satan

Half a cup of powdered sugar
One quarter teaspoon salt
One knifetip Turkish hash
Half a pound butter
One teaspoon vanilla-sugar
Half a pound flour
150 g ground nuts
A little extra powdered sugar
... and no eggs

Place in a bowl
Add butter
Add the ground nuts and
Knead the dough

Form eyeball-size pieces from the dough
Roll in the powdered sugar
and say the Magic Words:
"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"

Place on a greased baking pan and
Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes
...AND NO EGGS

Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes
...and no eggs.

so... looks like a recipe for delicious 'space cakes'. First person to try it wins a gold sticky star....

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-29-2004, 07:37 PM

I look at the song as being about people who are rich, famous, powerful, or whatever, who feel somehow superior to everyone else, as if they were a 'higher being', a being that has a basic advantage and is not as simple as a 44+2 person - they feel unaffected by lying paranoia etc because they have entered the realm of 46+2.

I have to go now but when I come back I will look at the lyrics from this light.

ToolOwnsYou
07-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Happy to see my thread, somewhat successful.. I have a few more inputs that I will post around noon, today. "Adam jones is GOD" great post on "the Patient" that shed some light on a song I never really pondered too hard on.. makes sense though (IMO) anyways keep rockin guys. you'll hear from me later today.

christonastick
07-31-2004, 12:56 AM
Hey dude, some interesting points there. Didn't maynard say the song wasn't about god and jesus? I know this doesn't affect your interpretation but to get the 'true' meaning sureley we have to look somewhere else. I find this incredibly hard when in the lyrics it mentions crosses :angry:

Well int he first stanza you picked out the lines 'he had alot to say, he had alot of nothing to say' i find these lines could talk about Martin luther king (now to be called MLK) You see he tried to change or reform america into a non racist nation. He had many things to say, which may have become reptitive, hence maynards contradiction.

I find it hard to believe that Maynard or Tool would be against anything that Martin Luther King did in his lifetime. The real author of the 95 thesis was Martin Luther an Augustinain (german) monk of the 16th century. He creatred the Lutheran sect of the Catholic Church out of protest of Catholic corruption. He was famous for posting his 95 thesis on the door of the church in Wittenburg and he was also the first ever to translate the Bible to a language besides latin. You should really do some research before posting things you dont know about.

By the way great thread ToolOwnsYou :thumb:

ToolOwnsYou
07-31-2004, 11:38 AM
ahh! I never got around to posting yesterday.. oh well i'll complete something before the weekend is over. anyways I just wanted to post something I was thinking about yesterday.. i assume i'm totally off but seemed kinda funny to mention anyways.

When i did my "Stinkfist (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211269&page=2&pp=25)" thoery I was stuck on what "relax, and take my hand" completely meant, so then I was thinking to myself. if he is "knuckle/fist/elbow deep within the borderline" in order to grab his hand. you must also go deep within the borderline. (unless its the other hand of course) Meaning! That the media is fisting you, and so are you. For believing & participating in all the bullsh*t they put on tv/news/radio etc etc etc.. .

For thoes of you that have no idea what in talking about, go back a few pages, and for the rest of you happy trails...

clearvision
07-31-2004, 12:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that Maynard or Tool would be against anything that Martin Luther King did in his lifetime. The real author of the 95 thesis was Martin Luther an Augustinain (german) monk of the 16th century. He creatred the Lutheran sect of the Catholic Church out of protest of Catholic corruption. He was famous for posting his 95 thesis on the door of the church in Wittenburg and he was also the first ever to translate the Bible to a language besides latin. You should really do some research before posting things you dont know about.

Yeah, some dude corrected me before hand, but hey postcount ++ :thumb:

I'm finding Euology the trickiest of songs to work out, i can only think its about Jesus/God now, i mean who else do you know of got crucified? Yeah it could be a metaphor, but what for? Crucifiction is horrible, but it puts you on show, maybe this could relate to a drug addiction in a weird and twisted way. Then i feel the song can relate to many people in the world that benefit from bad times including addictions in their life and also use their new-found status to voice their opinons. The person/people in question must be quite arrogant and think their take on everything is important, so they might be quite political. I can't think of anyone that may suit this explanation. That is one of my ideas...I guess i'll keep reading up on other peoples opinions and try and get somehtin from it :)

Mexican Seafood
07-31-2004, 01:55 PM
I'd just like to add something in response to an issue that came up a few times...beware of any Tool interviews you hear/read-generally they are all pretty sarcastic and like to play with people's heads in the interviews (which is great). In other words, don't take anything they say as a commandment-they're probably just trying to make you use you head. Oh and read the toolshed FAQs for a really good insight into the band...

From a personal point of view, I'd say, yes there are distinct themes in the songwriting, but often they are taken literally when they should be taken metaphorically and vice versa. Also some images may not actually be connected overly with the actual theme of the song, or it could be a development of an idea that takes the song off on a tangent. A fair amount of artistic license can be used as well...
All in all do not be too eager to pin something down as "definite"!

Riffmeister9
07-31-2004, 02:54 PM
What i love to do with the Opiate song is take the meaning farther than religion. I find many things in life that the song applies to. Last night I was at a Judas Preist concert and I was thinking that the whole following religion blindly thing isn't just it. People follow rock figures quite blindly as well. If you go to a concert you can see that everyone will listen to what the band has to say and take it in very heavily. I hear the lead singer spouting all of the generic rock crap and it is amazing how mindless people are and they repeat it and cheer. I then thought that he could say anything and they would blindly follow just like Catholics following what ever the pope would say.

clearvision
07-31-2004, 04:18 PM
^Amen brother...

Looking through that toolshed site and having eulogy on repeat for 1.5 hours and listening to it for 30 times :amaze: I have come to the conclusion that It's about anyone that wants to be a martyr like christ, my earlier drug thingy was wrong but the rest is ok.
He uses Christ to show the image he wants to be portrayed about those type of people. When he says 'Get off your fu*kin cross', he's like telling people to get off whatever they think makes them better than everyone else. I'm told that this expression is often used for people who think they are better than others.
When he belts out 'You must be crucified' he may just be asking people to die as there is no room for people like that in the world.
However you can see that he's not talking about Jesus where he says somethin like 'Not all martyrs see divinity. But at least you tried.' You see Jesus did see divinity so it kind of rules him out of the equation.

I'm now content with my interpretation of the song, just thought i'd share it with you :) What really did it was reading an interview with MJK and he said it's not to be taken literally, take the whole thign as a metaphor, or thats what he said ment to me anyway, here is the question from an interview in Strobe dec99. Thanks to toolshed, they had the article and gave me loads of info on opinions...

Is it about Kurt Cobain? I wouldn't think you'd be a fan of his.
"I appreciate what he did. I'm not really happy with his professional
widow. The song's about tendencies, not about a specific individual.
It's about tendencies of people wanting to stand on a soap box and
sacrifice themselves in some way. We don't need that process anymore.
You're on your own now."

TheLorax42
07-31-2004, 04:29 PM
ok heres the deal :
Sober - Sober is a song about one of the band's friends, who thinks he only writes good when he is high or drunk.

Stinkfist is not about anal fisting, it is using that as a metaphor. I'll give you an example, if somebody said asshole on tv back in the 50's, hospitals would've been flooded with stroke victims. However, today we can see a person eat smashed maggots (fear factor) and not even flinch. This good, it symbolizes progression, and must be continued.

Eulogy is about a man named L. Ron Hubbard. He started a cult called Scientology. Look it up.

46&2. hmmm. I'm not an expert, but I do know what this is about. Don't get mad if I mess up my terminology. The human genome has 44 & 2 chromosomes. Their are still a few groups of humans that have not fully evolved into this state (pygmys, aboriginies), they still have 42&2 chromosomes. The next logical step is 46 & 2.

ticks_&_leeches
07-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Tool is just a awesome band all together. It'shard to me to really say one tool song means something because no one can think like Maynard. I just respect their raw talent as musicians and that's all I need. I love APC just the same. Adam Jones is my IDOL!!!!

christonastick
08-01-2004, 04:21 AM
Eulogy is about a man named L. Ron Hubbard. He started a cult called Scientology. Look it up.

This is a very possible answer to the origin of the song but I dont think it is truly about a specific person. Rather than being about a person I think it was written as an archetype of a martyr. On the surface the song may seem to be about a specific person but on another level it represents a universal being.

clearvision
08-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Yeah, it's what MJK said in that inteview i got the quote from...

the_Leperakorn
08-01-2004, 05:46 AM
Tool are incredibly metaphoric, thats what amkes them good.

PRISON SEX

the song is about someone being raped against their own will, being tied down, ruined. But at the end of the song he finds solace within this 'sh*t, blood and c*m'. Maybe its about society screwing us over. We just have to sit there against our will ebing raped in the arse. But at the end of the day we find our loved ones, friends, family all give us that temporary sanity. Theres my 2 cents

SonorKen
08-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Ok guys, here is your "Official" Tool thread. Anything Tool related belongs here, don't create new threads. Also feel free to Discuss A Perfect Circle, Pigmy Love Circus, Zaum, or any other projects the guys from Tool work on. If you post something negative about Tool post up why you think and feel that way. If you post up "Tool Sucks" and don't give your reasoning your not gonna like the consequences.

Ok, lets have some good conversation and everyone enjoy. SFK.

clearvision
08-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks SFK, has anyone heard passenger by the deftones? It features maynard and sounds cool :thumb:

vixfinger11metallica20
08-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Yeah...Passenger is a good song.

Finally it's official.

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-01-2004, 07:40 PM
TheLorax42 I wouldn't say its fair to say "here is the deal" and dictate to us what the songs definatly mean because basically you say so, your missing the point of self expresion and self interpretation, and i thought that was half of tools message? :D

ToolOwnsYou
08-02-2004, 12:17 AM
SFK, I'd like to thank you for the "official" on my thread. I'm very appreciative.. I felt I had put in some good hours putting my thoughts into text. :thumb: and by you making it official proves to me that what I & everyone else wrote actually had meaning. Id like to thank everyone that has replied, and everyone that repiles in the future.

I ask since this is "official" lets try to keep the bullsh*t at bare minimum, in other words no spamming, or just being a plain jack@ss. Lets keep this thread clean & informative. Lets make this a TOOL (no pun intended) not a waste of space.

Once again thanks to all that has contributed.....

ToolOwnsYou
08-02-2004, 12:26 AM

thanks! :thumb:

ToolOwnsYou
08-02-2004, 12:51 AM
welp, since this has now changed to an all around tool-related thread. I thought id upload a picture of my signed cd and demo poster for you all to slobber over my Danny Carey autograph I got this at the 6/18/04 Show in San Francisco, CA. (not forgetting I ran ito Mike Patton (Faith no More, Mr Bungle) that same night!! got his autograph too!) enjoy. :lol:

Welp here it is, Plus the autographs of the rest of the band (which are totally f*cking cooL!) Pigmy Love Circus, DC's side project. check em out if you havent already. I got to hang out with all the guys (besides danny) for almost 2hrs in the cold waiting for danny to quiting visitin with a friend, then finally he came out and I was the only fan left outside. got to chat for about 2mins, got his autograph, shook his hand and left. They were all very cool dudes..

*my girlfriend framed all the pieces for me, if any of you care*

** you gotta laugh at Mike Savage's (Vocals) Autograph.. "Kill Brittany [Spears] For me...hahah very cool dude. **

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/gfabre/gregs004.jpg

Slrainox
08-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Tool - Lateralus

I think this song is about seeing deeper, and looking past the boarderline of everything. To really stop seeing things as good or bad/black and white. But to also seem them in variety

Black then white are
all I see
in my infancy
red and yellow
then came to be
reaching out to me... Let's me see...

He is saying that in his early stages of life, he only saw things as good or bad, but then he started to see things with color, and this new reaility called for him.

As below so above and beyond I imagine
Drawn beyond the lines of reason
Push the envelope... Watch it bend.

Baisically, the more you push things, more possible things become.

Over thinking, over anaylyzing,
separtes the body from the mind...
Withering my intution
Missing opportunites
and I must...
Feed my will to feel my moment!
drawn

Baisically, if you start to over think things then your body and mind become limited, and you'll miss out on things. To fix this you must have a reason to learn more, and grow

Black then white are
all I see
in my infancy
red and yellow
then came to be
reaching out to me... Let's me see...

Same as first time this was said

There is so much more that beckons me
to look threw to these infinite possibilities!

There is so much to life, and if you are willing to see it, then you will have no limits. If you can dream it, you can do it.

As below so above and beyond I imagine
Drawn beyond the lines of reason
Push the envelope... Watch it bend.

Again, the more you push your mind and open up, the more things become possible

Over thinking, over anaylyzing,
separtes the body from the mind...
Withering my intuition
leaving opportunites behind!

Same as before.

Feed my will to feel this moment!
urging me to cross the lines....

The more you learn, the more you are compelled to learn more. It urges you along.

Reaching out to embrace the random!
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come!

Be prepared for everything, and embrace it, love it. Live it up.

Come embrace my desire to...
come embrace my desire to...
Feel the rythm to...
feel connected... enough to stand beside and...
weep like a widow to...
feel inspired to...
fathom the power to...
witness the beauty to...
bathe in the fountain to...
swing on the spiral...
To
Swing on the spiral
To.................

You gotta connect with your mind, connect on a higher level. If you accept it, and are willing to learn, then you move onto a higher level of knowledge. Life is a spiral.

Swing on the spiral of our divinty
and still be a human.............!

If you are ready, willing, and capable of moving to another stage of life then you will reach divinty, but you will still be human

With my feet upon the ground
I lose myself between the sounds
and open wide to suck it in
I feel it move across my skin
I'm reaching up and
I'm reaching out
I'm reaching for the random
or whatever will bewilder me...
whatever will bewilder me!
FOLLOWING MY WILL AND WIND
WE MAY JUST GO WHERE NO ONES BEEN!
WE'LL RIDE THE SPIRAL TO THE END
WE MAY JUST GO WHERE NO ONES BEEN!

Deepest part in the song. It is encourgaing you to think for yourself, to go find things that will entrance you, entertain you, and whatever will complete you. As long as you keep riding the spiral of life the way you choose, then you will reach a better place.

SPIRAL OUT
KEEP GOING
SPIRAL OUT
KEEP GOING
SPIRAL OUT
KEEP GOING
SPIRAL OUT
KEEP GOING....

Even if you spiral out, you must keep going. It is the only way.

Drum_and_Bass_Guy89
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
yo i wanna find out that specific order of like listen to laterlus in a certain order and stuff happens anyone know where i can find that or like knows about please tell me if ya do

christonastick
08-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I just found it last night, its 6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10. I didnt really find it that amazing no big revelation or anything. Some of the songs do blend well together in that order so who knows.

SonorKen
08-02-2004, 11:48 PM
I must admit, this is one of my favorite threads I have ever seen on MX. Lots of intelligent conversation, and when people disagree they post up good explanations. Plus I guess it could also be that Im a HUGE Tool fan, course one would only need to look at my drum set to see that hahaha.

Anyway, keep it up guys and gals, this thread RULES!!

Drum_and_Bass_Guy89
08-03-2004, 12:53 AM
thx man im trying it rite know

Merkaba
08-03-2004, 01:53 AM
I've not really got time to get into this, but read up on Drunvalo Melchizadek and look at http://www.merkaba.co.il/Grid.htm

Warning - This shits hard going

Edit - The bit at the bottom is most relevant

look at my name.

i do merkaba everyday
it has changed my life

i met drunvalo last year

I am Highly knowledgeable of it and basic spiritual principals.
i had to sign a non disclosure statement when i took the class. one on one teacher.
I am light!
i also practice Astral Projection (which takes an open third eye)
during and around which you can pick up radio waves, and see with your eyes closed, and also see with about four different types of site.
Humans are made up of a sandwich of several bodies that are intertwined together(parabola, spiraling around each other, like dna) you can shift focus to other bodies, each harder to gain access to not by judgment but because its energy is vibrating faster. each an octave apart(today a young man realized all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...) everything is energy vibrating. and there is another reality right around you that is vibrating at and based on a faster/different frequency, or root note. The universe is mathematically held and so is music. Hence many experiements and ancient text dealing with sounds that activate portals, interspacial and interdimensional travel. and hence the reason for meditational mantras like the common buddhist chant. its all energy being mathematically transmutted. that is life.

Project Philadelphia
the government knows about merkaba
but they dont call it merkaba
it doesnt matter what you call it. its the principals.
The government can tell if youre doing the merkaba, by satelitte. the airforce admitted to it!
The government used to try to shut down the spread of merkaba, but they gave up because many people in israel are hip to it,though it is still closely monitored. . and america is scared to death of israel because they think that israel is chosen by god. but that means god picks favorites. false. the isralites only chose to keep true certain spiritual principals. giving them obvious advantages in spiritually dire times. hence the star of david. which is the two dimensional image of a merkaba(stage one). it gets deep man! first earth age deep! before "adam and eve". which is not a guy and girl. the bible hints to the first two earth ages in GEnesis. but of course it couldnt go deeper than a mention, because then the bible would be useless for control purposes, because the previous earth ages are where you get things like ATlantis, Lemuria, merkaba, etc from.

SonorKen
08-03-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey Merkaba, Id like to chat ya sometime and talk about some of this stuff. I have done alot of research on this and would like to hear your thoughts. Check my profile for my AIM info..

Merkaba
08-03-2004, 02:08 AM
according to maynard. h is about having the devil angel on one shoulder and the sweet angel on the other. though its not written that way. I've also read that its about him having a near death experience.

you can rarely find a true source to many of their songs.
i hear push it was about him and his child, or him and Tori Amos. the same for Schizm(tori amos). so who knows. i think the song is basically about being pushed until you have to do something. you cant take any more and you have to do something.

Schizm is commonly reffered to in regards to the the void between religion and science. but can be any void between x and z or etc.

i do know jimmy is written in lower case. to signify the younger, nickname of James. when his mother left him with his uncle. who molested him. a wonderful song. one of my faves.

Stinkfist is about not realizing youre being used because youve grown accustomed to it and you've included it in your ways. hence the idea of someone fisting you, you being numb too it, then turning around to take their shltty hand afterwards. the borderline is crossing the line. its not about going deep. you take a little at a time until youre all the way Fvcked but you've been getting so long you cant live without it. finger deep, knuckle deep, elbow deep, shoulder deep. gradually you give more and more and you dont even know it. gettin Fvcked in some kind of way and growing accustomed to it. politics, religion, economy, etc.

46 and 2. Jungian philosophy. thats it. Carl jung is deep, so, enough said.

Third eye is about opening your third eye. Thats it. once you do, you can really appreciate the song more.

Hooker with a peniz. its about what he says in the song. picture it. some guy coming up to him while sporting trends from "The man". the new tatoos trend, the name brand Vans shoes, the name brand levi 501's, the trendy nipple rings, yet he's pointing the finger at maynard saying he sold out to "da man". Ironic huh? ironic as lifting a skirt to find a peniz huh? and equally as perplexing as a male hooker to begin with..hehe. maynard is off the meter lyrically.

btw, tool are not atheists. rather agnostic. but not atheist.

superpeer
08-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Bumpz

clearvision
08-03-2004, 10:47 AM
SP i'm reporting you for spam, comon man if someones got something to say they will say it...

Merkeba i like your explanations, especialy hooker... :thumb:

ToolOwnsYou
08-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Track: Sweat
Album: Opiate

This is one of my many favorites. I feel this song is about drugs, yet I like to keep an open mind on Maynard’s lyrics, so if you feel it’s a different subject, lets hear it. I’ve never done LSD but I have done XTC & Mushrooms. This song can relate pretty well.

“I'm sweating,
and breathing
and staring and thinking
and sinking deeper.
It's almost like I'm swimming.

All symptoms of a really good drug trip.

“The sun is burning hot again
on the hunter
and the fisherman,
and he's trying to remember when,
but it makes him dizzy.?

I take it as “the sun is burning hot again? as a timestamp. That he/she took the drugs in the day, “Hunter? is a metaphor, for seeking something (seeking/exploring your mind. Something Maynard is big on)
“Fisherman? would be a metaphor, for someone that patiently waits for something. As if your mind is the bait, and drugs would be the fish that takes the bait. “trying to remember when? could mean to remember when he/she took the drugs or trying to remember reality, yet the drug takes control and “makes you dizzy?

“Seems like I've been here before.
Seems so familiar.
Seems like I'm slipping
into a dream within a dream.?

I don’t know how many of you have been on an acid/shroom trip.. When you are trippin’ everything you tripped on last time kinda comes into play, yet is fuzzy, and you have new experiences mixed with old, Sometimes even think of sh*t you didn’t want to think about. Making things familiar yet you keep slipping deeper as you continue to peak. (this is where I usually start puking on a shroom trip) as I continue to slip more into my “dream?

“Must be the way you whisper.?

I’m a little confused here… later in the song he goes back to talk about this “whisper? Maybe the whisper is soberness? Reality? Another person? Can’t exactly put my finger on it, yet I think it deals with reality.

“The sun is setting cool again.
I'm the thinker
and the fisherman
and I'm trying to remember when
but it makes me dizzy.
and I'm sweating,
and breathing,
and staring and thinking
and sinking
deeper
and it's almost like I'm swimming.?

back to my “timestamp? suggestion… “the sun is setting cool again? meaning that he has been tripping for hours, and day is turning into night. Same as above for the rest of the chorus.

It's the way you whisper.
It drags me under
and takes me home.

ahhh.. back to “whisper? I have the strong feeling it deals with reality/soberness. Home = sober state of mind? Like I said I’m not sure what this exactly means, if any of you guys/gals have an opinion, don’t be scared to post it.

ToolOwnsYou
08-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Tool Trivia

I thought this would be fun. I see Trivia floating around the forums, but I wanted to make this just for TOOL. I know there are many search engines out there so Internet Trivia can’t be too competitive, but none the less it’s fun. And maybe, just maybe you’ll learn something new.

Rules:

1. When asking a question, please make sense, please make sure there is a true answer. No “is Maynard gay? etc etc..

2. Before you can ask a new trivia question, you must answer the one above you.

3. You MAY ask TOOL related questions (family, friends, side projects, equipment/gear) but please, nothing too far out of the TOOL atmosphere.

4. Intelligence is the KEY FACTOR to making this successful.

5. No fighting, No name calling, no Spam.

6. The questions may be simple or complex.

7. HAVE FUN!

The rules may vary, based on replies.. if I see something getting out of control, I may change edit the rules to comply. As I said above and as I have posted many many many times… use your brain before posting. Any true TOOL fan knows the band feeds off intelligence, so lets make the boys happy.

I’ll start this off..

“In what year was Maynard James Keenan born, and what City/State was he born in??

ToolOwnsYou
08-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Dont take it as you cant post theory/opinions... keep them comming in... they have all been great contributions to the thread.. keep em up!!@

SuBuCnI420
08-04-2004, 06:19 PM
I have heard rumors of tools breaking and i have not believed them and i was wondering if anyone new about an upcoming album in the future and if so when is it to be released

petrucci_wannabee
08-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Wow, Merkaba, you're now one of my favourite MXer's, great insight there :thumb:

As for the guy that was analyizing Lateralus, that's they way I feel about it aswell, but I'd just like to add that the 'envelope' is another word for how far a human can reach from a point with their arms full extended, maybe Maynard means that because it doesn't really make sense with the other meaning of the word

ToolOwnsYou
08-04-2004, 06:29 PM
I have heard rumors of tools breaking and i have not believed them and i was wondering if anyone new about an upcoming album in the future and if so when is it to be released

As been said many times before, take almost everything you hear about TOOL with a grain of salt, even more so when it comes to the band breaking up. Tool is not breaking up, and the new cd will hopefully be released late '04, early '05.

spiral_within
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
everyone should try the alternate order for lateralus. the cd makes much more sense that way, as the songs flow so well together in the different order. the order i tried is 6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10.

drummerdunc86
08-05-2004, 01:07 AM
i think Maynards main goal in his songwriting is to get you to think for yourself.

Vaelroth
08-05-2004, 01:14 AM
I may do an analysis of some Tool lyrics one day, not tonight though. Too tired to fiddle with Too.

lime toast
08-05-2004, 01:16 AM
the lyrics for the hidden track on opiate are astounding

Screaming Photo
08-05-2004, 01:47 AM

I did too, I heard it was a tribute to Bill Hicks. :thumb:

Screaming Photo
08-05-2004, 01:49 AM
i think Maynards main goal in his songwriting is to get you to think for yourself.

If you pay attention to James's Interview's, he does it for himself. To get it out and get it over with. He can't keep writing about the same things, bc. then he never would grow.

twiggster
08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Ok, I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned on here 'cause usually I see it on many other Tool boards...Anyway, have any of you heard about the whole Fibonacci sequence being related to the entire album "Laterlaus"? You know, I'm not too sure if this is exactly true or not but I just thought I'd post it...

The drum beat for track #9: Lateralus on the album follows the Fibonacci sequence. The Fibonacci sequence, to summarize, is a mathematical pattern where you add the last two digits of the pattern to get the next (ex.- 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.). When this pattern is graphed out, it forms a spiral, which is what Lateralus means. Though he looked beyond this and realized that if he were to lay the songs on the graph in accordance with the Fibonacci sequence (this idea is explained further in the link) then he could perhaps come up with an alternate track order. His process began with placing track numbers 6 and 7 in the center of the graph seeing as he knew they had to run together. Then through a process of creating two spirals, he finally found an alternate order to the album that, if they were edited correctly, would make all the tracks run together almost as one song. Suddenly tracks were making much more sense. He discovered that if this new order were to be true, then track #4: Mantra, would go after track #8:Ticks and Leeches. The last line of Ticks and Leeches is "I hope you choke", and the sounds of Mantra, previously believed to be whale noises, could in fact be viewed as a distorted choking noises. Random pluckings of strings at the beginning of track #5: Schism were now revealed to be the finishing chords for track #7: Parabola. Clues to this alternate order are given in lyrics throughout the album, such as "Spiral outm keep going" or "I know the pieces fit".

So for all who are interested, though this may not work correctly without the correct editing software according to the poster that discovered this, the alternate track order is as follows: 6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10..

:rolleyes: Again, I'm not too sure about all this stuff but I just thought it was interesting. I got this paragraph from some other Tool board.

Mark. A
08-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Tool aye, hmmmm, my brother loves this band, i've heard some like hush etc, i quite enjoyed it.

Merkaba
08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
I found out later the Satanist thing above is wrong, but they're fans of Aleister Crowley, so the theory stands. And I think the release date is wrong.

Thats because Crowley knew alot about magic. Which is intentionally affecting your envrionment via some undetected,unsensed, or invisible(aka magical) way. Crowley just had, shall we say, questionable reasons for some of his intentions.

Adam Jones is GOD
08-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Woah, I go away for a week, and this thread becomes official and has continued intelligent conversation on it! Wow, i must congratulate ToolOwnsYou (were u the guy who originally put up a poll for an official thread?). Im glad its continuing, I still have some views to put up for a few of those lesser heard Tool songs. Keep it up people.

(was it Stagefrightken who official-ed it in the end?)

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 05:16 PM
im not into tool that much. but i do like the song sober, and from the tool videos ive seen they strike as pretty weird but, i still think manyard is a good songwriter..... and one more thing i heard maynard is a necropheliac is that true???

Adam Jones is GOD
08-06-2004, 06:01 PM
I dont know as much about maynard as others, but I would always doubt anything that is said about him, like it has been constantly mentioned, the band love to give out false information often for their own amusement. And the videos seem weird, but they do carry a lot of meanings for those who wish to look into them further.

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 06:03 PM
I dont know as much about maynard as others, but I would always doubt anything that is said about him, like it has been constantly mentioned, the band love to give out false information often for their own amusement. And the videos seem weird, but they do carry a lot of meanings for those who wish to look into them further.
i can see how the the videos have meaning(weird none the less)

-Listy-
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
whats so good about Tool..ive only heard a few songs..didnt rly hear anything amazing..can someone tell me some good songs to download and ill take my words back

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 06:23 PM
whats so good about Tool..ive only heard a few songs..didnt rly hear anything amazing..can someone tell me some good songs to download and ill take my words back
schism is good and so is sober

ToolOwnsYou
08-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Woah, I go away for a week, and this thread becomes official and has continued intelligent conversation on it! Wow, i must congratulate ToolOwnsYou (were u the guy who originally put up a poll for an official thread?). Im glad its continuing, I still have some views to put up for a few of those lesser heard Tool songs. Keep it up people.

(was it Stagefrightken who official-ed it in the end?)

hhaha.. see what all you can miss in such a small amount of time. Yup! thats me the guy who originally put up a poll for an official thread. As you all can see imma HUGE tool fan, but lets not get into that.Tool's message must be spread! and thanks to SFK, and everyone that has posted, we now have an "OFFICIAL" Im working on some new views myself, I just been super busy..

Lets try to keep this alive, I/We have put alot of work into it (the thread), lets not let it all go to waste. Keep rockin! :thumb:

ToolOwnsYou
08-06-2004, 06:32 PM

Welp, its all in the eye of the beholder, what is "amazing" in your eyes? Do you like fast tunes, slow tunes? Hard, Soft? What few tracks have you heard?
You got to have alittle more info, if you want it narrowed down to "amazing" (for you taste)

Some General GOOD songs are:

Lateralus
The Patient
The Grudge
AEnima
Opiate
Part of Me
46 & 2
Eulogy
H.
Stinkfist
Swamp Song
Sober
Prison Sex
Hush

thats just a few, that was their more popular, most heard of songs. So many more that are great.. as I said.. it all depends on you. TOOL isnt for everyone. The Love, Hate factor.....

-Listy-
08-06-2004, 06:34 PM
thanks ill check them out then

vixfinger11metallica20
08-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Have any of you heard Staind's Sober cover...? They practically ruined an amazing song. If any of you have ..tell me about it.

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Have any of you heard Staind's Sober cover...? They practically ruined an amazing song. If any of you have ..tell me about it.
no i didnt even know they covered it where can i hear it

Adam Jones is GOD
08-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I have the video of the live performance, you can find it on some file sharing programs. It wasnt too bad, although Aarons (that right?) voice, good as it is, could never do it justice. I also heard P.O.D did a cover of prison sex, any clue about that?

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 06:54 PM
I have the video of the live performance, you can find it on some file sharing programs. It wasnt too bad, although Aarons (that right?) voice, good as it is, could never do it justice. I also heard P.O.D did a cover of prison sex, any clue about that?
lol p.o.d. coverd prison sex and when i though they were christian

petrucci_wannabee
08-06-2004, 07:10 PM
lol p.o.d. coverd prison sex and when i though they were christian

What's wrong with that?

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 07:11 PM
What's wrong with that?
i just find it funny

Adam Jones is GOD
08-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Im still intrigued how they approached it, was it a straight cover, or did it have the POD twist to it? :upset:
All I know is it was recorded live and with their old guitarist

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-06-2004, 07:41 PM
O.K Im going to jump in the deep end for one of these song meanings, its not very in depth and quite obvious but Im going to put it in anyway.....This is for the swamp song....

My warning meant nothing.
You're dancing in quicksand.
Why don't you watch where you're wandering?
Why don't you watch where you're stumbling?
You're wading knee deep and going in.
And you may never come back again.

I think this is about getting taken advantage of (again) but specifically by crime/drugs. I think this verse is taking the educational side of things what we are taught about crime in schools.

This bog is thick and easy to get lost in
when you're a stupid,dumb ***, beligerant ****er.

I hope it sucks you down.

This is our second phase of "good advice" drummed into us from child hood. This is the advice we recieve from our peers,parents and people who have "been there", the people who take a more negative and harsh aproach at stopping you from turning to crime.

The song goes on to repeat this a few times to signify it being drummed into us from childhood, everywhere we turn people are telling ua what to think and that is just the role of a dreg on society who is too thick to know any different.

Wander in and wandering.
Noone even invited you in.
But still you stumble in stumbling.
So suffocate
or get out while you can.

Noone told you to come.

This last bit is for the idiots that walk into the trap even after the mass brainwashing we take in childhood, asking them why they are even doing it. Its not a club, its not like you did it under pressure (in most cases), so what is your "great" excuse for dragging yourself down to this level.

If you are stupid enough to "taste" and you really believe that thats all your life is (your invite) then you might aswell stay there. Although Maynard does encourage free thinking alot I think this song is telling us that free thinking isn't everything, petty crime and falling into mindless traps isn't free thinking or being a free spirit, its being an idiot....DONT BE AN IDIOT!

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Im still intrigued how they approached it, was it a straight cover, or did it have the POD twist to it? :upset:
All I know is it was recorded live and with their old guitarist
maybe the found a christian message in it, im just guessing though

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Or....They are just hipocrits like most christians, I know christians that drink more and take more drugs then me! Christians are either stupid or genuinly think because they "believe" they are invincible because GoD will forgive them at the end of a hard night sinning....What does Maynard teach us about hipocrasy in religion :D

deadohiosky9
08-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Your're right man. Christians are hypocrits. They think they can go do whatever the f*ck they want, and be forgiven. Well I love Tool, and their thought provoking lyrics. NOt to mention their music. So heres a song I'm gonna try and interpret:
Song- Stinkfist
Album- Aenema

This song is about more than just anal fisting. Well here is why its about anal fisting: "finger deep within the borderline", "knuckle deep within the borderline", Elbow deep within the borderline". That represents anal fisting. Now why would Tool write song about anal fisting? The anal fisting represents stimulation. One of Tool's messages is that we should be stimulated and that we should think. Which is exactly what Tool does for us. Stimulate. But the song says "I don't want it, I just need it. TO be breathe, to feel to know I'm alive." This person will seek stimulation at all costs. Even if it means anal fisting.
THanks. I Hope this was close.

ToolOwnsYou
08-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Just for the record, I am not a christian, yet I caught some irony here..

For supposed Tool fans, you guys are pretty quick to judge, almost making you hypocrits... I assume none of you like to be judged, for sure you wouldnt want to be called a hypocrit. "Christians are hypocrits" is a pretty broad statement. I know many christians. Im not saying they never have sinned, but I know for sure, they are not out partying do drugs, having sex, mudering, robbing.. with the thoughts its ok, because god will forgive them. Sure there is probably a few out there.. but if you are a true believer of christ you usually follow the "rules" pretty well... Most christians believe in karma, if you sin on earth, you'll be punished in the afterlife, or in heaven I should say. Im not flaming, just thought id play devil's advocate.

deadohiosky9 I would argee with you, I got alittle deeper on "Stinkfist" a few pages back, but id say that was pretty much the idea of the song. Being desensitized, by media, government and such. Therefore taking more to stimulate the mind.

Happymeal
08-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Your're right man. Christians are hypocrits.

True, some or most are nowadays. But don't just go stereotyping all Christians and come up with the conclusion that we make God as an excuse for ****ing up.

Anyways, I first heard Tool in a record store somewhere two years ago, and immediately liked Parabola, then I bought Lateralus(which I think is their best, in almost all aspects, and foul language from their older stuff isn't really my thing) . My favorite song is..The Patient. For me its literal meaning tells you to, well, be patient, because something is bound to happen and I think the song says something about hardships and change too("no loving embrace to see me through..I'm gonna wait it out").

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 09:58 PM
honestly !m not too cool with making hostile generalizations such as the comments 3 posts up, mainly because not all christians are hypocrats(sp?)
and im sure there a few few christians in this forum who were offended... about the stinkfist message i couldnt agree with any more. People do need to stimulate there minds and and not let other mediums do it for them ie. the media. basically tool's got some good messages and im gonna get more into them now. :thumb:

ToolOwnsYou
08-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Lateralus is a very good cd. Ænima is my favorite.. funny thing is, I think the reason I like the cd a little more is because the fact it is more edgy. I always enjoy music that pushes the evelope. None the less The Patient is one of my favorites on Lateralus

BunnYzWillEAtYoU
08-06-2004, 10:51 PM
This got wayyyyyy lost in the mix

Ravenna, Ohio

I think 64' :confused:

Merkaba
08-06-2004, 11:03 PM

The whole *aenima album, the whole lateralus album

BunnYzWillEAtYoU
08-06-2004, 11:09 PM
well... all the albums really

Merkaba
08-06-2004, 11:10 PM
O.K Im going to jump in the deep end for one of these song meanings, its not very in depth and quite obvious but Im going to put it in anyway.....This is for the swamp song....

My warning meant nothing.
You're dancing in quicksand.
Why don't you watch where you're wandering?
Why don't you watch where you're stumbling?
You're wading knee deep and going in.
And you may never come back again.

I think this is about getting taken advantage of (again) but specifically by crime/drugs. I think this verse is taking the educational side of things what we are taught about crime in schools.

This bog is thick and easy to get lost in
when you're a stupid,dumb ***, beligerant ****er.

This is our second phase of "good advice" drummed into us from child hood. This is the advice we recieve from our peers,parents and people who have "been there", the people who take a more negative and harsh aproach at stopping you from turning to crime.

The song goes on to repeat this a few times to signify it being drummed into us from childhood, everywhere we turn people are telling ua what to think and that is just the role of a dreg on society who is too thick to know any different.

Wander in and wandering.
Noone even invited you in.
But still you stumble in stumbling.
So suffocate
or get out while you can.

Noone told you to come.

This last bit is for the idiots that walk into the trap even after the mass brainwashing we take in childhood, asking them why they are even doing it. Its not a club, its not like you did it under pressure (in most cases), so what is your "great" excuse for dragging yourself down to this level.

If you are stupid enough to "taste" and you really believe that thats all your life is (your invite) then you might aswell stay there. Although Maynard does encourage free thinking alot I think this song is telling us that free thinking isn't everything, petty crime and falling into mindless traps isn't free thinking or being a free spirit, its being an idiot....DONT BE AN IDIOT!

lol. sorry. but this is why maynard doesnt just divulge directly into the causes of alot of his songs. he said in an interview that he had read alot of peoples interpretations on the toolshed site, and that they were wrong, but thats cool because of course its what you take with you thats yours. of course you never can take him too seriously, but i read an interview where he said that this song is about a girl that came into the studio one day while they were there. she wasnt invited and there was a bit of an argument or something for some reason or another. she was a girlfriend or friend of one the band members or someone working there.
:thumb:

deadohiosky9
08-06-2004, 11:15 PM
I take back my statement "christians are hypocrits". Because not all christians are hypocrits. Most of the ones I've run into are hypocrits. But not all are. And we shouldn't make that assumption from it. We shouldn't label all Christian as automatic hypocrits, just because of a few people who are hypocrits. I apologize for what I said. And I hope this further clarifies it.

Merkaba
08-06-2004, 11:16 PM
im not into tool that much. but i do like the song sober, and from the tool videos ive seen they strike as pretty weird but, i still think manyard is a good songwriter..... and one more thing i heard maynard is a necropheliac is that true???
yes, and to quote previos interviews:

he also worships satan, but only on the weekends.
and the flutest for tool is Gay.

gmoneyguy
08-06-2004, 11:22 PM
yes, and to quote previos interviews:

he also worships satan, but only on the weekends.
and the flutest for tool is Gay.
ok... soooo its not true????

ToolOwnsYou
08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
I take back my statement "christians are hypocrits". Because not all christians are hypocrits. Most of the ones I've run into are hypocrits. But not all are. And we shouldn't make that assumption from it. We shouldn't label all Christian as automatic hypocrits, just because of a few people who are hypocrits. I apologize for what I said. And I hope this further clarifies it.

thanks. if there were only more MX'ers like you. :thumb:

deadohiosky9
08-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Thanks. lol. Tool's flutist is gay. not the organ player. hahah.

why do i still suck
08-07-2004, 12:06 AM
honestly real seruios tool fans scare me

BunnYzWillEAtYoU
08-07-2004, 12:14 AM
maybe thats why you still suck

SonorKen
08-07-2004, 12:56 AM
Don't worry about that. I watch these threads. If these guys want to post silly stuff like this I consider it spam and a means for them to increase thier post count which is against the rules and will ban them. Think real hard before you post up goofy stuff.

SonorKen
08-07-2004, 01:38 AM
hahaha dude, I was agreeing with YOU!

Mekkalayakay
08-07-2004, 01:41 AM
I bought Lateralus a while ago, and I was simply amazed with it. I haven't popped it in the Cd player in a while, but the first listen always astounds me. Brilliance.

christonastick
08-07-2004, 03:25 AM

Keep in mind that necropheliac means someone who has sex with dead people and that it is illegal. Do you really think the lead singer for a huge band would want to do that or could get away with it? I think not. Necrophelia exists mainly in the south where people can steal corpses go out in the woods and have an orgy.

christonastick
08-07-2004, 04:48 AM
Im hoping you meant to put arent instead of are ^^

christonastick
08-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Ive heard that the female character in the Schism video is played by Adam Jones' wife, can anyone confirm this?

SonorKen
08-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Ive heard that the female character in the Schism video is played by Adam Jones' wife, can anyone confirm this?

I had heard that as well. I actually think she is the person that toured with them last time they toured. Remember the couple who were all blue that walked around on thier feet and hands on stage? Im about 99% positive it is the people they had on tour. They walked the same way on the stage as they are in the video.

vixfinger11metallica20
08-07-2004, 02:50 PM
maybe thats why you still suck

lmao

deadohiosky9
08-07-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm gonna try to interpret one of my favorite Tool songs, Pu****.

Song: Pu****
Album: Aenema

Alright Pu**** is a long song clokcing in at about 9:57. I also think this is one of Tool's most emotiona songs. The song starts out with lines that will later be repeated in the song, as an intro. "saw the gap again today, but you were begging me to stay, take care not to make me enter, if I do we both may disappear". I think this is Maynard leaving someone, and that person was begging him to stay, but he knows that if he does, then something bad will happen. "take care not to make me enter, if I do we both may disappear."

Then it goes to "I will choke until I swallow/ Choke this infant here before me. What is this but my reflection? Who am I to judge or strike you down?" This is him regretting what hes doing "what is this but my refelction, who am I to judge or strike you down?" Then he says "But you're pushing and shoving me", wheich means, even though I don't wanna do this, I have to. You keep making me. This song is aimed at one person, a person thats either done something wrong, possibly forcing something on Maynard. "I'm slipping back into the gap again/ I'm alive when your touching me, but not when you're shoving me down". Which means this person is special to him, but when they act a certain way, he doesn't like it. "I'd trade it all just for a little peace of mind". Hes leaving for some peace of mind. Its not worth what he has to put up with. The ending is the most emotional. And my favorite lines. "There's no love in fear. Staring down the hole again. Hands upon my back again. Survival is my only friend. Terrified of what may come. Just remember I will always love you, even as I tear your ****ing throat away. But it will end no other way." It seems like he once loved this person, but not any more, and if he stays, he just might die. And this hole, I think it represents his downfall. If he stayed with this person, he would've gone down that hole. And now hes questioning if he should do this, "staring down the hole again". Then the last two lines. "Remember I will always love you. Even as I tear your ****ing throat away." I think this is murder. He ends up killing this person. A love that was once there. But now is gone. Because that person was "pushing and shoving" him. I hope I did a good job.I might be way off. But this is what I thought. Thanks.

clearvision
08-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Hey guys, I've been on hols and im not impressed with the state of this thread :upset:

Anyways to get to my point I downloaded Stainds version of Sober. I'm actually quite impressed. Many people would do a direct cover of the song and the vocalist try and imitate Maynards pronounciations and so forth.
However this version is slower than tool's. The cymbal (I'm no drummer but I think its the high hat) is very lose and is preminant (sp?) I think some of the fills are different too.
Aarons voice is it's usual self, he changes the dynamics just before he sings 'Jesus won't you fukin whistle' his voice goes from quiet to a real powerful voice that staind fans will recognise . He uses a flattened vibrato technique when he sings whistle which is really cool and is used throughout the song.
Staind use an acoustic guitar which is refreshingly different from tools version, it is loud and powerful, but also soft at the same time.
The version i have is live, The quality of the music and vocals is immense, I'm quite impressed how aaron maintained his voice.

All in all i think staind did well and i give it 9/10, however, being a staind fan i am slightly biased so take from the review what you will :)

Tool462
08-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know any facts about Tool's upcoming album? (They are working on one). Also, the rumors about live DVDs?

bebubly
08-07-2004, 04:43 PM
heyhey...does anyone know about the guy who wrote down all his interpretations of what maynard meant with his lyrics?? you can download it from www.vanillacircus.net
i was really interested...but my computer won't let me download it...has anyone read it?? any opinions on it?? and do any of you have it in some sort of form which you could send to me?? thanks...:)

bebubly
08-07-2004, 04:49 PM
True, some or most are nowadays. But don't just go stereotyping all Christians and come up with the conclusion that we make God as an excuse for ****ing up.

Anyways, I first heard Tool in a record store somewhere two years ago, and immediately liked Parabola, then I bought Lateralus(which I think is their best, in almost all aspects, and foul language from their older stuff isn't really my thing) . My favorite song is..The Patient. For me its literal meaning tells you to, well, be patient, because something is bound to happen and I think the song says something about hardships and change too("no loving embrace to see me through..I'm gonna wait it out").

perhaps this was stupid of me...but i took the patient to be sort of...i can't really explain it...mocking people of blind faith...i could be wrong...in fact i probably am...but...am i?? :confused:

clearvision
08-07-2004, 04:56 PM
That book looks genius, thanks man :thumb: I will download tomorrow and tell y'all what i think :)

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-07-2004, 04:57 PM
"For supposed Tool fans, you guys are pretty quick to judge, almost making you hypocrits... "

I dont think 17 years of experience with christians is a quick judgement, I went to christian summer camps and things, it sucked, people are obsessed, they told me grandma died, because she was bad in a bad life, if I didnt read the bible, im going to die and go to hell also the christians I know are bigger sinners then me, Im not saying all christians are like this, just religious people I usually come across.

deadohiosky9
08-07-2004, 05:10 PM
I agree with thepanicinneedlepark. as for that book, I tried to download it. but it didn't work for me either.

Dancin' Man
08-07-2004, 05:15 PM
I've heard Shinedown sounds a lot like Tool. Any thoughts? I think bascially other than the chorus of their single, 45, they suck.

feelsoinvincible
08-07-2004, 05:16 PM
"For supposed Tool fans, you guys are pretty quick to judge, almost making you hypocrits... "

I dont think 17 years of experience with christians is a quick judgement, I went to christian summer camps and things, it sucked, people are obsessed, they told me grandma died, because she was bad in a bad life, if I didnt read the bible, im going to die and go to hell also the christians I know are bigger sinners then me, Im not saying all christians are like this, just religious people I usually come across.

exactly
its the same deal with me. my opinions based on years of hanging out with christians, and ive decided i dont like most of them because most of them are so full of their beliefs. they wont leave you the hell alone. whatever.

bebubly
08-07-2004, 05:17 PM
guess who managed to get hold of the book...me :D...basically its not set out as it should be but i think me not being able to get it was something to do with me having windows 98...but if anyone can't download it and wants to read it post your email addresses and it'll be winging it's way straight to you :thumb:

feelsoinvincible
08-07-2004, 05:21 PM
i just didnt have acrobat reader..downloading it right now

bebubly
08-07-2004, 05:24 PM
cool cool...as for what i said about the patient...any help??

deadohiosky9
08-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I couldn't download and wana read it. my email is neeshaker@bellsouth.net . thanks a lot.

bebubly
08-07-2004, 05:34 PM
I couldn't download and wana read it. my email is neeshaker@bellsouth.net . thanks a lot.

i just sent it through...hope it works...if not moan at me and i'll send it again...haven't read it yet but i shall do later...enjoy :thumb:

deadohiosky9
08-07-2004, 05:39 PM
thanks man. I got the email.

BunnYzWillEAtYoU
08-07-2004, 07:50 PM
I always looked at schism as a broken marriage. Since the word schism is very commonly used religiosly, I thought thats why Maynard might have went in another direction with it (since thats kinda his style).

mahhh what the hell do I know....

By the way TooLownsME, I answered your trivia back there somewhere. Im not sure if anyone cares AT ALL. Did I at least get the right freakin answers?

deadohiosky9
08-07-2004, 08:09 PM
I've heard that the band Earshot sounds a lot like Tool. I checked out some of their stuff. And I don't think they sound ne thing like Tool. Ne thoughts on this? I don't think I would listen to them if they were a Tool spin off. Some Tool wanna be. You can't copy Tool's sound. Tool is tool, you can't try to be like them.

gmoneyguy
08-07-2004, 10:03 PM
bump

bebubly
08-08-2004, 07:11 AM
thanks man. I got the email.

no problemo :thumb: i figured whilst reading it the order was a bit messed up but i'm sure you'll be able to make it make sense...

anyhoo...last night i was up til 3 reading that...a lot of it was really interesting and pointed out things i wouldn't have been able to worik out in years...the guy did his research pretty well...i have a few points that came up when i was reading it that he didn't put down which i will post tomorrow probably it's just i'm off out now...

but i do recommend it to all you guys who are interested in some of the more obscure tool lyrics...or those of you who have any interest at all in tool...until i read it i knew that the lyrics were deep but i didn't understand just how deep some of them were...

and once you've read it if you do...post on whether or not you agree on it/would add anything to it/disagree with any of it...or just any other general comments...

:)

vixfinger11metallica20
08-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, I've been on hols and im not impressed with the state of this thread :upset:

Anyways to get to my point I downloaded Stainds version of Sober. I'm actually quite impressed. Many people would do a direct cover of the song and the vocalist try and imitate Maynards pronounciations and so forth.
However this version is slower than tool's. The cymbal (I'm no drummer but I think its the high hat) is very lose and is preminant (sp?) I think some of the fills are different too.
Aarons voice is it's usual self, he changes the dynamics just before he sings 'Jesus won't you fukin whistle' his voice goes from quiet to a real powerful voice that staind fans will recognise . He uses a flattened vibrato technique when he sings whistle which is really cool and is used throughout the song.
Staind use an acoustic guitar which is refreshingly different from tools version, it is loud and powerful, but also soft at the same time.
The version i have is live, The quality of the music and vocals is immense, I'm quite impressed how aaron maintained his voice.

All in all i think staind did well and i give it 9/10, however, being a staind fan i am slightly biased so take from the review what you will :)

Well....I thought it was really bad. I don't like Staind...I do understand and get their music...IMO it's not good music...Anyway..I would give it a 4/10...

BTW I listened to the songs in the order that some people claimed to be "mysitcal" .. It had no effect whatsoever on me...did it have an effect on other people??

SOAD_Fanatic
08-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Tool is an amazing band. My fave tunes are Stinkfist, Parabola, Lateralus and of course the EPIC Eulogy! Danny Carey is an amazing drummer, I love Adam's stattico riffs. Maynard is an amazing singer. I love the tribalistic, earthy production that their records have. With bands like SOAD, Deftones & Tool the state of rock music is very healthy indeed.

SexyPineapple
08-08-2004, 09:40 AM
I don't really know what to think about Tool, the guitar and bass player are really talented, and they make beautiful riffs sometimes, but on the other hand, the drummer is like the Yngwie Malmsteen of drums, and on the other other hand, the singers voice is good (when he uses the studio vocal effects which he does alot) but on the other other other hand, his lyrics ****ign suck *** and make me want to go beat up the kid down the street who is a maynard freak, as a band, i'd have to give them 5 stars out of 10

Adam Jones is GOD
08-08-2004, 09:43 AM
BTW I listened to the songs in the order that some people claimed to be "mysitcal" .. It had no effect whatsoever on me...did it have an effect on other people??

You may not have done it correctly, it wont work if u just play tthme in that order by changing tracks, as you get the delay in between. it also wonmt work by putting together a media playlist and playing it, as it needs the CD elements to work. Its a bit of effort to do properly, and I still haven't done it myself, but the result is a better mix of the tracks and they flow into eah other a lot better.

As for a mystical element, there is no change to the songs, so it is only to get the most out of the album, it wont automatically make it sound 10x better (which is a hard thing to do in any case, the album being as solid as it is)

In case anyone else hasn't a clue about the track ordering, ill put up the link again
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html (dont worry, its a safe link)

vixfinger11metallica20
08-08-2004, 01:48 PM
You may not have done it correctly, it wont work if u just play tthme in that order by changing tracks, as you get the delay in between. it also wonmt work by putting together a media playlist and playing it, as it needs the CD elements to work. Its a bit of effort to do properly, and I still haven't done it myself, but the result is a better mix of the tracks and they flow into eah other a lot better.

As for a mystical element, there is no change to the songs, so it is only to get the most out of the album, it wont automatically make it sound 10x better (which is a hard thing to do in any case, the album being as solid as it is)

In case anyone else hasn't a clue about the track ordering, ill put up the link again
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html (dont worry, its a safe link)

I guess you are right....

Merkaba
08-08-2004, 02:06 PM
I don't really know what to think about Tool, the guitar and bass player are really talented, and they make beautiful riffs sometimes, but on the other hand, the drummer is like the Yngwie Malmsteen of drums, and on the other other hand, the singers voice is good (when he uses the studio vocal effects which he does alot) but on the other other other hand, his lyrics ****ign suck *** and make me want to go beat up the kid down the street who is a maynard freak, as a band, i'd have to give them 5 stars out of 10
so how many tool songs have you heard?

Merkaba
08-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I do remember in an interview Danny saying something like "if you listen to this album , you better have a protection spell ...." of course, its tool, so you just dont know if he's serious. I'll have to try the alternate order. i had heard about it when the album first came out but never really put much idea in it that the order of some songs will have a mystical effect. but if anybody can have a mystical experience it would be me. so, we'll check it out. the thing is i cant program my currenct cd player. How is everyone else doing it? well i do have two cds. hmmmm. aw ****, one is scratched up bad though. :confused:

Adam Jones is GOD
08-08-2004, 05:29 PM
I managed to get one of my DJ friends to mix two copies but he literally tried to mix them in that annoying DJ way, so it didnt work as well as I hoped.

petrucci_wannabee
08-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I copied the tracks on to my PC, then burned them in the alternate order

Adam Jones is GOD
08-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I copied the tracks on to my PC, then burned them in the alternate order

Did that work though? I did it and the songs were all spaced apart by a second or two as soon as I copied them

deadohiosky9
08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Hm... I gotta try that. also I read that tool book, after I downloaded acrobat reader. and it was really really good. a lot of things I didn't know. but I wanna throw something out there for you guys, the song Stinkfist, when I first looked at its lyrics, I thought it was about drugs. Now I know after asking another tool fan, that its about anal fisting, and stimulation, etc. But in the tool book, the guy said it was a conversation between the drug and the addict. And it makes perfect sense to me. Yet so does the anal fisting. can they both be right?

ThePanicInNeedlePark
08-08-2004, 06:22 PM
I think someone should make a site an stream the tool album in alternative order mixed properly for all us tool fans :D

Adam Jones is GOD
08-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Dammit, I cant download that Tool Book, it seems from comments being made it is a well thought out opinionated piece of work. Can someone send it to me?

twiggster
08-08-2004, 10:46 PM

Yep, I've heard that cover and I really didn't like much either. I've also heard Limp Bizkit's cover of "Opiate"...and I really didn't enjoy that one either.

EonBlueApcolyps
08-08-2004, 10:46 PM
live DVD - form the last six shows of the 2002 tour - no release date yet.

this is kind of old i think. i saw it on one of the biggest Tool sites. dont quote me on it though

Det_Nosnip
08-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Awesome...can't wait.

*prays that they include a multi-angle feature so I can watch Danny Carey the whole time*

SonorKen
08-08-2004, 10:49 PM
This should go in the official Tool thread, I'll move it there for ya.

EonBlueApcolyps
08-08-2004, 10:51 PM
^ why thank you

EonBlueApcolyps
08-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Yep, I've heard that cover and I really didn't like much either. I've also heard Limp Bizkit's cover of "Opiate"...and I really didn't enjoy that one either.

how the fuck did this get in here before my post?

SonorKen
08-08-2004, 10:55 PM
I merged your thread into the Official Tool thread.

twiggster
08-08-2004, 10:55 PM
I've heard that the band Earshot sounds a lot like Tool. I checked out some of their stuff. And I don't think they sound ne thing like Tool. Ne thoughts on this? I don't think I would listen to them if they were a Tool spin off. Some Tool wanna be. You can't copy Tool's sound. Tool is tool, you can't try to be like them.

I don't think Earshot sounds anything like Tool either but then again I really haven't heard this band much...however, there is this one song, I think its called "Go Away" where the singer does sound like Maynard alot.

bobthesalesclerk
08-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Yea Limp Bizkits cover of Opiate is one of the most horrible Pieces of garbage ever made. Tool rules though. Carey is god on the drums. I actually got the chance to meet him a few weeks back and get some autographed cymbals and what not. Tool is by far one of the most creative, musicly talented bands out there right now. Maynard definitly gets my vote for best rock vocals.

Tool666
08-08-2004, 11:22 PM
I used to have the order they go in. They go in a certain order so that the album flows better. I read in an article somewhere that Danny Carey is summoning demons on his drums in the song Ticks and Leeches. And yes, Maynard and Danny practice all that Enochian crap. Enochian is supposed to be the "Language of the Angels". Danny has the Enochian Magic Table thing on a gong that he brings to concerts.

ænima
08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
hey there im a BIG Tool and APC fan but ive never got around to and of the other band member side project and i was just wondering if Pigmy Love Circus or Zaum were very good and what are there best songs you think...just so i can have a listen to them and see what there like.

Im only a dumb 15year old and i was trying to figure out what the song Disgustipated was all about i i was having my luck, if anyone here can he bothered to tell me fell free...

ænima
08-08-2004, 11:42 PM
and that song by Earshot was called Get Away not Go Away

twiggster
08-08-2004, 11:49 PM
and that song by Earshot was called Get Away not Go Away

"Get Away"...There we go..sorry, my bad.

BunnYzWillEAtYoU
08-08-2004, 11:55 PM
does anyone here own salival?? Id very much like to know what it encompasses.

Oh, and if you have a chance to pick up APC's "lost in the bermuda triangle", don't. IMO it sucks beyond belief. It doesnt even hardly feature the band at all.

ænima
08-09-2004, 12:02 AM
My friend has Salival and i think that its strange but very good i love the new version of Push-it they did, good ****

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 12:08 AM
I have Salival. It comes in a box set, awesome artwork. A book of like 50 + pages of artwork. A cd, that has 8 tracks. The live version of Pu**** is awesome. Its aamzing. Very relaxing. Then theres a dvd with 4 of their music videos on it. If you're a tool fan. You should get Salival. A must have. It's awesome.

bobthesalesclerk
08-09-2004, 12:27 AM
here are some autographed Danny Carey pics. I recently got to meet him @ a Pigmy Love Circus concert :)

http://drumrock.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2877&PN=8

SonorKen
08-09-2004, 03:24 AM
I have Salival. It comes in a box set, awesome artwork. A book of like 50 + pages of artwork. A cd, that has 8 tracks. The live version of Pu**** is awesome. Its aamzing. Very relaxing. Then theres a dvd with 4 of their music videos on it. If you're a tool fan. You should get Salival. A must have. It's awesome.

I have the Salival CD/DVD as well, its basically a collectors item now. I actually keep it in a fire-proof safe, I feel its that difficult to replace in the like new condition it is in. I copied it all as soon as I got it, returned it to its case and put it away. The accompying book is full of alot of artwork and it really interesting. You can buy this on EBAY now for about 100 bucks or less, if your a die hard Tool fan and want something really cool ya should check it out.

qtipstabsbrain
08-09-2004, 04:35 AM
I have the Salival CD/DVD as well, its basically a collectors item now. I actually keep it in a fire-proof safe, I feel its that difficult to replace in the like new condition it is in. I copied it all as soon as I got it, returned it to its case and put it away. The accompying book is full of alot of artwork and it really interesting. You can buy this on EBAY now for about 100 bucks or less, if your a die hard Tool fan and want something really cool ya should check it out.
i just wanted to point something out... cdnow.com almost always has used or like new copies of salival for about $85 and you dont even have to worry about outbidding someone. (and for the record, the dvd actually has 5 music videos: hush, sober, prison sex, stinkfist, and Ænema)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000541I5/qid=1092043753/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/002-6080388-8744857?v=glance&s=music&n=507846
maybe ill come back and post an analysis of some lyrics a little later... too late right now...

Disgustipated46&2
08-09-2004, 05:40 AM
I saw Tool 2 years ago and it was the best concert I've been to by far. I love how Adam Jones is just mesmerized the whole time. I heard about them releasing a dvd last year. I hope they come close to where I live when they release their new album. Danny said that their new album will be even more mathy than usual and will be extremely complex. They already have recorded one song and he said its the most complex and technical song Tool has ever done. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

clearvision
08-09-2004, 06:27 AM
:amaze: Salival is that rare and expensive? :( thats a shame for everyone that gets into tool pretty late, i was hoping to buy salival, undertow and opiate when i get my job. I'm all upset now :upset: how much was salival when it was first released?

Merkaba
08-09-2004, 01:03 PM
man im pretty sure that the record shop down the road still has salival. I'll check

The6Devils6Son7
08-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Reflection

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole.
Defeated, Concede and move closer. I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness.
How pitiful.
(It's calling meee. 3x)
It's calling meeeeee

And in my darkest moment, fetal annnnd weeeeping.
The moon tells me a secret.
My confidant.
As full and bright as I am, this light is not my own
A million light reflections
pass over me
It's source is bright and endless. She resuscitates the hopeless.
Without her we are lifeless satellites driiiiiifting.
And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't want to peer down here serving my narcissism
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
(before I pine awaaaay. 3x)
pine away.
before I pine awaaaaaaaay.

{8:48}
So crucify the ego before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you and let the words spill through
Just let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason.

before we pine away. pine away
before we piiiiiine away.

I am a very big fan of Tool ever since i was about 7 or 8 and I love them so much because they actually put thoughts into their lyrics. Most bands these days just jumble **** down like ****in Good Charollete. Reflection is probably one of my favorite songs because It has this sense of diabolically clever lyrics. His voice also makes my skin crawl and i love the bass riff.

Merkaba
08-09-2004, 01:07 PM
here are some autographed Danny Carey pics. I recently got to meet him @ a Pigmy Love Circus concert :)

http://drumrock.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2877&PN=8

you fuckin azzhole!
god.
lucky ass

how the hell did you get to do all of that. who did you have to ....uh nevermind. cool pics by the way. goddam i love danny. he's alien on the drums. looks like he did some sacred geometry too? or was that yours?
Lucky motherfucker.

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Yes, Salival is a collector's item. I got into Tool late also. I just bought Salival on Ebay for 69.95 ( buy it now button), but some of the bids got up to the 80's. But go to Ebay if you want it. Its awesome.

bebubly
08-09-2004, 01:53 PM
i just went on amazon and they have new copies of salival for £20...but instead of dvd it's video...would that be the only difference or is there something extra on the dvd version??

and to the second guy who wanted the tool book i have just sent it to ya so enjoy :thumb:

bebubly
08-09-2004, 02:04 PM
ok...when reading the tool book i had a few ideas floating round my head and here they are:

-one of them was concerning the song "jimmy"...perhaps the age of 11 was chosen because of the changes MJK was experiencing at that time due to puberty etc...perhaps the "face of your own stability" is some sort of reference to how everything was changing compared to when he was a child and everything was stable and less complicated...and perhaps the changes were causing the loss of relationship with the female he refers to...

-another was that of a possible connection between aenima (the track) and eon blue apocalypse...the links between an armageddon and an apocalypse and the blue of eon blue apocalypse and the lines "learn to swim" in aenima...

-the only other one i can remember right now is of how aenima (the track) conjours up images of noah's ark in my head...a flood ("learn to swim") ending the world ("armageddon")...and if "mom" is perhaps a god then it does appear to me to make sense...

whatcha think??

Adam Jones is GOD
08-09-2004, 02:07 PM
i just went on amazon and they have new copies of salival for £20...but instead of dvd it's video...would that be the only difference or is there something extra on the dvd version??

and to the second guy who wanted the tool book i have just sent it to ya so enjoy :thumb:

...and I have sent my words of gratitude :thumb:

The DVD contains the bonus CD of the live songs/covers/rarities, and I dont think the video does. But it still contains all but 2 videos, and I would still want a copy as a collectors item myself.

bebubly
08-09-2004, 02:43 PM
...and I have sent my words of gratitude :thumb:

The DVD contains the bonus CD of the live songs/covers/rarities, and I dont think the video does. But it still contains all but 2 videos, and I would still want a copy as a collectors item myself.

thank you for your words of gratitude :thumb: hehe...

i have a feeling i shall order it...£20 isn't that much...

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Ya if you don't mind getting a video instead of DVD, it'll be alot cheaper.

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 03:07 PM
I have a question. I read someting about Tool and Enochian Magic Board. What is Enochian?

Adam Jones is GOD
08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a question. I read someting about Tool and Enochian Magic Board. What is Enochian?

http://www.schuelers.com/enochian/

Its basically a magical/belief practice. I've actually taken a few things from it myself. Plus its a language (For example, the last track on Lateralus is translated as 'Voice of God')

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks. Ya it seems to be quite relaxing from what I've read. Do the members of Tool practice this?

Adam Jones is GOD
08-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I know Danny and Maynard do. Danny's drum artwork and layout is all based on Enochian ideas. Plus if you dig around the official Tool site, the editor (the infamous Blair) once had a strange experience from a ritual. Ill try and find it actually

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 03:39 PM
O really? Ya I noticed at Danny's site, a lot of Enochian stuff. The rituals seem very relaxing. I might try one. It would be interesting to read about Blair's experience. Thanks.

Merkaba
08-09-2004, 04:03 PM
O really? Ya I noticed at Danny's site, a lot of Enochian stuff. The rituals seem very relaxing. I might try one. It would be interesting to read about Blair's experience. Thanks.

woa buddy. Enochian is angel magic. its not something to dabble with. The angels that brought it said the same thing. you might want to do some research before you start reciting random keys and shlt. plus the enochian magic board has to be handmade by the angels specific measurments. theres lots of bible bumpers around here, but Enoch was in the bible. you know what happened to that guy? (reportedly) lol. occult is intending to manipulate spiritual environments. and Enochian is strong shlt. dont just read a music site and think its cool and decide to to do. you might want to read about it first from different sources. one being the Book of Enoch.

clearvision
08-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Man im really pissed about salival now, i will pin it no.1 on my crimbo list. A new dvd version. :) When do you guys think APC/Tool will tour next?

Merkaba
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
http://www.schuelers.com/enochian/

Its basically a magical/belief practice. I've actually taken a few things from it myself. Plus its a language (For example, the last track on Lateralus is translated as 'Voice of God')

Note that this site presents an edited version. probably because the original intent of the angels that presented it was never fully understood, and the system was never fully delivered. so be careful.

Merkaba
08-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks. Ya it seems to be quite relaxing from what I've read. Do the members of Tool practice this?

:lol:

dont stop reading.

Fvck with the wrong tower or the wrong order and it wont be relaxing. Trust me.

Adam Jones is GOD
08-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Note that this site presents an edited version. probably because the original intent of the angels that presented it was never fully understood, and the system was never fully delivered. so be careful.

I dont get involved in the deeper spiritual elements of it, as some of the accounts of people who have tried it are concerning (some people being mentally damaged by experinces they had from dreams for example).But it does contain a lot of interesting information and ideas. And yes, im aware it isn't a full on site, it really does only give minor insights, it was a good site to introduce a person to it.

deadohiosky9
08-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Ya you're right. I shouldn't do random stuff with it. Thanks for the warning.

Merkaba
08-09-2004, 04:24 PM
ok...when reading the tool book i had a few ideas floating round my head and here they are:

-one of them was concerning the song "jimmy"...perhaps the age of 11 was chosen because of the changes MJK was experiencing at that time due to puberty etc...perhaps the "face of your own stability" is some sort of reference to how everything was changing compared to when he was a child and everything was stable and less complicated...and perhaps the changes were causing the loss of relationship with the female he refers to...

-another was that of a possible connection between aenima (the track) and eon blue apocalypse...the links between an armageddon and an apocalypse and the blue of eon blue apocalypse and the lines "learn to swim" in aenima...

-the only other one i can remember right now is of how aenima (the track) conjours up images of noah's ark in my head...a flood ("learn to swim") ending the world ("armageddon")...and if "mom" is perhaps a god then it does appear to me to make sense...

whatcha think??

jimmy-
spelled with no capitalization on purpose to signify his level/disposition at the time. jimmy, nickname for James. he was left in ohio with his uncle at age 11, by his mother. for reasons im not sure of. he was molested by his uncle there. and by dealing with it and coming to terms he is also reuniting with that part of his childhood left behind. 11, til 1 and 1 are one...as with 11. as in making yourself whole, by dealing, and healing, understanding to "both move on together". now go listen to it again.

aenima is about people being caught up all the hype of material living, and needed to be cleansed by learning to swim, in the the spiritual waters. "dont just call me pesimissitic, try to read between the lines" and also talking about the theories of an asteroid hitting the planet and the whole california will fall into the ocean shlt and how people are all caught up in it, and losing their material shlt. and he is welcoming the change of any armageddon, because armageddon is a natural, cyclical cleansing process. occuring about every 3500 years, or whenever our second suns orbit is. The blue star, as in all the ancient texts, that brings about changes on the planet. and "blue as our new second sun" . that combined with the red star/planet x theory. who knows huh? :thumb:

IronGland93
08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
I'd did a little searching on the net and I think I found one of the combinations for the lateralus album (6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10). All it made me feel was a little:evil:agressive:angry:. Any way, isn't the lateralus some sort of tendent/muscel located either in the shoulder or some where around in the back.:confused:Rather interesting, why would the album be named after a tendent/muscell, and does Manyerd keep the same mystery/secrets hidden in A PERFECT CIRCLE albums:confused:.

Adam Jones is GOD
08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
and does Manyerd keep the same mystery/secrets hidden in A PERFECT CIRCLE albums:confused:.

On the Track on 13th step 'A stranger', listen closely when he sings the words 'You're a stranger so....what do I care?' You should hear him cough. There is a story that the timing of the cough is a date but I cant remember what the symbolisym was of it. I know it was something negative though about some persons involvement with Maynard

Thats about the only real 'hidden' message in their music, there is more with Tool as its more of a collective thing, whereas APC is very much Billy's work with Maynard contributing

twiggster
08-09-2004, 05:02 PM

No, its not his wife. They're a Los Angeles duo called OSSEUS LABYRINT.
They are "a manifestation of accumulated data from billions of years of evolving and recombining of matter and energy that has occurred for all things animate and inanimate to be present at this moment"..I got that off their site... www.osseuslabyrint.net Pretty interesting stuff there.

bobthesalesclerk
08-09-2004, 05:19 PM
you fuckin azzhole!
god.
lucky ass

how the hell did you get to do all of that. who did you have to ....uh nevermind. cool pics by the way. goddam i love danny. he's alien on the drums. looks like he did some sacred geometry too? or was that yours?
Lucky motherfucker.

Met him @ a pigmy love circus show in cleveland. I knew sumone who worked there and met him backstage and got to talk to him for a little bit with a buddy of mine. It was an awesome show and definitly worth the drive to cleveland to meet him. Very nice guy and from what he said the next Tool album shall be the best ever. Insanely good. 4 cocks up. . .cant wait :)

bobthesalesclerk
08-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Oh yea does anyone have any info on the DVD that was supposed to be released this summer or was that just a rumor???

twiggster
08-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I found a really interesting interview with Maynard. I know its a little old but its still a good one...He talks about his view on Christianity and other stuff...kinda talks about some songs and what they might mean. He also talks about the fibonacci sequence which i had mentioned before and how Lateralus is connected to that (fibonacci creates sprials...Tool uses spirals alot for their art...and at the end of the song Lateralus he keeps singing: "spiral out...keep going"...I've read in many places that the whole album might have been created around this sequence). Anyway, very interesting. Here's the site: http://www.elloyd.net/mjkinterview.php

IronGland93
08-09-2004, 07:12 PM
On the Track on 13th step 'A stranger', listen closely when he sings the words 'You're a stranger so....what do I care?' You should hear him cough. There is a story that the timing of the cough is a date but I cant remember what the symbolisym was of it. I know it was something negative though about some persons involvement with Maynard

what does MER DE NOMS and those strange symbols supposed to mean? I also heard that Billy and Manyerd got in quiet an argument about the whole 13th Step album. I was told it almost cost the band to break up....

IronGland93
08-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Oh yea does anyone have any info on the DVD that was supposed to be released this summer or was that just a rumor???

A Perfect Circle is supposed to have released a DVD for the 13th Step album....don't know about T()()L

twiggster
08-09-2004, 09:29 PM
what does MER DE NOMS and those strange symbols supposed to mean? I also heard that Billy and Manyerd got in quiet an argument about the whole 13th Step album. I was told it almost cost the band to break up....

Mer De Noms means Sea of Names (Brena, Magdalena, Rose, Judith, etc.) and the symbols represent the alphabet in a font that Billy came up with. I had also read about Maynard and Billy having a hard time working together on Thirteenth Step. As a matter of fact, there was an article on MTV about that. Don't quite remember exactly what it said though, sorry.

twiggster
08-09-2004, 09:34 PM
A Perfect Circle is supposed to have released a DVD for the 13th Step album....don't know about T()()L

yeah, APC is releasing a dvd/remix package on 11/17/04. The dvd is gonna have their Austin, Tx and Corpus Christi, Tx shows, I believe.

And Tool has kept us waiting for a long time already. They were suppose to release a dvd with their last six shows of their Lateralus tour....I'm not too sure about this but I think I had read on their official site that there was suppose to be out this summer....Or at least something was suppose to be out.

paradigmbassist
08-09-2004, 09:59 PM
who here has seen APC live, if so, what did you think of theml.
i thought that they had a great and very unique stage prescence, they put on a wonderful show, and the music remains flawless, what more could you ask for.

Shoemaker