PDA

View Full Version : Crate BX100

bobotehhobo
08-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Crate - BX100 100 watt Bass amp

I got this amp about a month and a week ago. I've played it heavily at very odd times of the evening. I've had a bit of trouble with the equalizer(I.e. I have no clue what I'm doing). There are a lot of built in features that I will probably never use. One of them being an effects loop, I'd just stick with the regular way of doing it. It comes with a line out and a seperate gain control for that line out. It'd be handy if I had another amp to plug it into, but I don't. The sound quality is amazing, I haven't noticed any rattling or odd noises. Even when it's volume peaks it's a nice sound. I'd give it a 4.5/5

owlandtree
08-07-2004, 11:15 PM
I have a Crate BX160 that I bought 14 years ago. Since most venues have a house PA I haven't needed much more. I have never used the effect's loop for anything accept goofing around once or twice. Usually with the 7 band EQ I turn my mids down and tweak the High end. It also has a Bass boost as well as a Treble boost. I get the most versitile sound by having the Bass boost on and the gain about mid-range. Because the amp has one 15 inch speaker it is limited as far as sound. I purchased a Hartke for a great deal (350 watts, 4X10), I'm not a huge fan of the aluminum cones but I can't afford a 2,500 dollar Trace elliot so....I use the 15 inch Crate BX 160 for my bottom end under the 4X10.
The Crate has been through hell and back and many gig's. The front screen has been kicked, there are burn holes in it and many people have spilled beer on it. It still work's.
3outta5 stars. :thumb:

GoryGoblins
01-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I also used to own one of these(bx100). I purchased it new back in 1995, and what they were going for back then was a rip off, but today the price is much more reasonable.A lot of the amp is made out of fiberboard, the handle on the top of the amp is rather useless, the amp is underpowered, the 15" speaker is a 4ohm 15 that can only handle 150 watts rms. Despite all these negative traits, this amp puts out decent tone, getts fairly loud and is affordable. It well worth its price. :thumb:

basswarrior_phil
01-18-2005, 11:45 AM
i've got a crate bt220, its built like a tank, and its ridiculously compact, looking at it, you'd never guess it was 220 watts

Ian
02-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I have a Crate BX-160 the same as the other guy a few spaces up. The tone is decent, but not the greatest. Dont expect ampeg-like tone.

What does have though is tank-like construction. Mine also has took a hell of alot of road abuse and it remains very reliable to this day.

nopicks4me
02-23-2005, 08:19 PM
im never gonna buy a crate again. too much bad luck with them

Techmonkey
04-28-2005, 05:24 PM
There's a BX100 for 199 GBP at my local music shop... It's in almost mint condition, been there for a few months, I'm taking my bass down there tomorrow to try it out... Is it worth it? I haven't started gigging yet, on account of never being in a band until a couple of weeks ago... But now I'm in a band, and it looks like it's going pretty well we're thinking about starting to play some smaller venues around here.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

FunkMetalBass
05-08-2005, 02:36 AM
http://www.interstatemusic.com/wcsstore/InterstateMusic/ims/ipt/108550.jpg

Crate BX100. I bought it because it was big, semi-powerful, and only cost $300. I was very nave at the time.

Pros:
--Graphic EQ. That right there made me extremely happy. I could control my tone much better than most with the "bass, mid, treble" knobs.
--Front access to everything. I get slightly irritate at amps that have ext. speaker jacks and other things in the back.
--Balanced line out. This is good because 1) it was easier to use an XLR cable and go directly into my mixer and 2) gives a clearer sound.

Cons:
--Weight distribution. It wouldn't have been so bad had they not decided to put that handle on there. One handle centered makes it extremely tiring and almost impossible to carry.
--EQ Range. The EQ range started aroung an F# (on the low E string), so controlling even an open E was not possible.
--Boost buttons. The -20db button always had to be pushed in, otherwise you couldn't play a note without peaking.
--Volume & Gain Control. If I wanted a quiet spot, there wasn't one to be found. It went straight from 0 (inaudible) to 1 (obnoxiously loud) and then continued to slowly and steadily climb from there.

All in all, I was not pleased with this purchase or the product.

Rating: 2.5/5

Radiobass81
05-08-2005, 09:00 AM
I played one yesterday. Really, they aren't as bad as people make them look, but there are better IMO.

FunkMetalBass
05-08-2005, 08:03 PM
For the price, you can get something much better.

frantic_bass5
05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I'll keep this short and sweet, cause many have already said some good things about this amp.

This was the first amp I every purchased aside from my little BFX15 Practice Amp. I got it a Mars Music (Anyone remember that store?). It was a good solid amp, however I felt very restricted by the wattage. The BX100 has only 100 watts. A comparable guitar amp by Crate has 120 watts. The guitarist in the band I was in at the time (A heavy rock band) played one of those amps, and between him and the drums I was overpowered. The point is, a bass amp needs to be more powerful than a guitar amp, simply because lower frequencies do not come across as well as higher ones. Although it is a good amp for the price, if you plan on gigging or playing with multiple guitarists (or even if your guitarist has a 80 watt amp or more) this amp will not work for you.

PS - This is mostly concerned with louder bands, such as punk or rock etc. If you are in a band that does not play at extreme volumes, then I wouldn't worry about it as much.

kilian
05-16-2005, 04:04 AM
BLEGH. I declared war to the one in one of the practise rooms here around! IT ALWAYS distorts and I never get a decent tone out of it. OK I have a hot bass and even a all tube ampeg head distorts. But hell! This isn't nice anymore.

I don't like it, although the tone isn't so bad.

Farlan
05-16-2005, 02:05 PM
I've used this amp for about 5 years, and I haven't seen any real problems. I've never needed it to get extremely loud, so I can't say that I've used it to it's limits. I play ina church by the way, so I've never really needed to be blaring.

Seeing that it's only around 300, it doesn't look like a bad amp. I like it better than the Behringer BX1200.

Seamstander
05-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I just picked up the BT220 at Guitar Center for 400USD (I drive a hard bargain.)

My initial thoughts on it are quite good. Its built very, very well.

I really like the clean channel on it actually. It is very, very bassy. Obviously, it is EQable but with the EQ flat it is pretty bassy, probably because of the 15" residing in the cab. It resonates on all notes, not just some as I figured it would with a ported cab. Its not very punchy, but its a 1x15. Looking for throaty mids? Look elsewhere. You really have to stretch for those mids, but it can get really nice slapping tones. The EQ is nice, has good +/- decibel values. Can't complain about anything in the clean section. Quite warm actually, but doesn't have that GK growl, but hey, its not a GK amp!

I haven't tried to power any external cabinets with it yet, and have not yet practiced with a band so I can't comment on how loud it is, but I can feel it in my chest and become scared when putting it past half. Its loud, but I'm not sure how loud it will be in a band context, probably fine, but my last amp (BX1200) was not nearly loud enough for my band. So we'll see.

The tuner on top is nice touch, with the mute button it is even nicer. The tuner is not bad either, it has a nice quick response and is quite accurate. I don't have a strobe tuner to compare it with, just an in tune piano.

The distortion channel is very, very high gain. It starts breaking into metal fuzz at about 1. But hey, its a Crate. I currently have it set to 1/2 and its a nice (god forbid, current Limp Bizkit) bass tone. The point where it is just breaking up and getting dirty but not fuzzy. I really like it, the shape knob also noticeably affects the channel. I think I am really going to grow to like the dirty channel. There is no EQ for it, just the shape.

As for the construction, I'm not really concerned much at all, except for the footswitch. I stomp pretty hard, and thought Behringer's footswitches were very well made, almost Boss quality. While the Crate footswitch isn't exactly made of plastic, I can see it breaking the future. Hopefully it won't, but the casing seems to be fairly thin SECC or something. As for the amp, I'm not concerned about it all. I think it will last a very long time. It has a vent on the top for the power amp section, so I guess stacking extension cabs on the top it out of the question. The BT100 and BT220 have casters, which make it a bit easier to haul around, but they are still big, so make sure it can fit in your backseat.

The Octaver on this thing is decent too. It's response is pretty good. Adds a nice bottom to both clean and dirty channels. It sounds really cool to have the dirty channel at .75 and the octaver on playing high up the neck. I nearly creamed my pants.

The footswitch toggles channels and the octave function on and off, which is all I can ask of it.

As far as connectivity goes, its pretty nice. For some reason they have a headphone out on the front. I don't know why this on this amp, it seems like an amp that is not a bedroom amp and would be used mainly for practices shows, but I'm not complaining about more features. Also on the front, is a L/R (red/white) style CD input. Nice for hooking up stuff to jam to or drum machines. The power switch is also on the front, which I really like.

On the back, its pretty standard. It has an effects loop (send/return), footswitch jack, external cabinet jack (1/4" jack) and a balanced XLR out. The balanced XLR out also has pre/post toggle, gnd/gnd lift toggle and a volume knob. Pretty nice for gigging.

All in all, I give this amp a 4.7/5. I don't give it a perfect because:

- The distortion channel has way too much gain that it is very hard to find a nice smooth distortion.
- The cab has no tweeter. I just had to include it. I know it doesn't say it has a tweeter, but a tweeter would increase the sound range of this amp so much. I know its nitpicky.
- The mids could be better, but again, its only a 15".
- Questionable footswitch durability.

The reasons I gave it high marks:

- Built very well. Durable.
- Awesome bass. The lows on this amp are very nice.
- Footswitch is very useful.
- Input/Output choices are plenty and all work well.
- Tuner is a very nice touch.
- Seperate EQ/tone control/level for each channel.
- Octaver. I love them.

LewsTherin
05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.interstatemusic.com/wcsstore/InterstateMusic/ims/ipt/108550.jpg

Crate BX100. I bought it because it was big, semi-powerful, and only cost $300. I was very nave at the time.

Pros:
--Graphic EQ. That right there made me extremely happy. I could control my tone much better than most with the "bass, mid, treble" knobs.
--Front access to everything. I get slightly irritate at amps that have ext. speaker jacks and other things in the back.
--Balanced line out. This is good because 1) it was easier to use an XLR cable and go directly into my mixer and 2) gives a clearer sound.

Cons:
--Weight distribution. It wouldn't have been so bad had they not decided to put that handle on there. One handle centered makes it extremely tiring and almost impossible to carry.
--EQ Range. The EQ range started aroung an F# (on the low E string), so controlling even an open E was not possible.
--Boost buttons. The -20db button always had to be pushed in, otherwise you couldn't play a note without peaking.
--Volume & Gain Control. If I wanted a quiet spot, there wasn't one to be found. It went straight from 0 (inaudible) to 1 (obnoxiously loud) and then continued to slowly and steadily climb from there.

All in all, I was not pleased with this purchase or the product.
Rating: 2.5/5

I have this same amp, except with the built-in DSP effects. It retailed for $500, I got it half off (thankfully).

Everything you said, I agree with. The only difference is my XLR out is on the back (because the effects controls are on front).

The effects are nearly useless. The only controls are: Type (slapback delay, echo, chorus, flanger, t-wah, octave, room verb/chorus, room verb, hall verb) and Volume (1-10, 1 is no effect, 10 is all effect). The only way to shut off tthe effects is through a non-included footswitch or by turning down the volume on them.

There are no rate controls or anything, which would have been nice on all of them (except octave....not much you can change on that).

Ive also noticed that I have alot of trouble getting any sort of good treble response. A good slap/pick tone is very hard to acheive without maxing high mid/treble frequencies, and when you do that, it constantly peaks (even with gain on 3 and -20db cut activated).

2-2.5/5

Not a happy customer.