PDA

View Full Version : which band or singer has the best lyrics?

Pages : [1] 2

Chucky
08-07-2004, 09:47 AM
which band or singer has the best lyrics? just curious....

feedthegods666
08-07-2004, 09:51 AM
i would probably say Nightwish, but thats just me
Deep Silence Complete is amazing
Same with Dead Boy's Poem

Blank/24
08-07-2004, 09:58 AM
in my opinion, thursday. hands down. that isn't to say that they are the only band with lyrics i like, but i love ALL the lyrics to ALL their songs.

other than that i'm into underoath, cake, and staind (i dont really know why i like staind's they arent anything special but they strike a cord with me)

CSD & the Soul Machines
08-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Cedric Bixler Zavala/Omar Rodriguez-Lopez From At the Drive-In and The Mars Volta write amazing lyrics.

Also Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw), Chino Moreno (Deftones), Maynard (Tool/A Perfect Circle), and Jesse Lacey (Brand New)<<(I think that's his last name, not certain) are all amazing to me. I do like Thursday's lyrics too.

it cant be that bad can it?
08-07-2004, 10:18 AM
personally i like HIM and blink 182's adam's song. just that song.I relate 2 it. but HIM's lyrics are gd i fink

feedthegods666
08-07-2004, 10:20 AM
have you all forgotten the women?
Evanescence
Lacuna Coil
Kittie
My Ruin
J@ck off Jill
Matriarch

songwritingrocker
08-07-2004, 10:25 AM
i'm all about the lyrics, so most of the bands i like have great lyrics in my view
taking back sunday
dashboard confessional
something corporate
incubus
the cure
most blink-182 songs
and bad religion
.......................yeah, i think that's most of em

it cant be that bad can it?
08-07-2004, 10:25 AM
yeah i agree wi evanescence they do some really gd lyrics

feedthegods666
08-07-2004, 10:32 AM
i'm all about the lyrics, so most of the bands i like have great lyrics in my view
taking back sunday
dashboard confessional
something corporate
incubus
the cure
most blink-182 songs
and bad religion
.......................yeah, i think that's most of em

THE CURE!!!
im going to the curefest today!!!
ROCK ON! :thumb:

mr_jackalope
08-07-2004, 01:50 PM
the dismemberment plan easily have the most original and intuitive lyrics written in the last 15 years. if you look up some of their stuff, especially on their last two albums, you'll see that travis morrison writes in an almost stream-of-conscienceness yet compact way, about subjects not usually covered. examples: the deadness inside the everyday bustle of a city (The City), nothing is special unless you make it so (Spider in the Snow), the hypocricy of right-wing style democracy (Pay for the Piano), etc.

feedthegods666
08-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Alanis Morisette is also quite poetic. The song Unsent was amazing off of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

Disco Dragon
08-07-2004, 02:10 PM
i've always said Gavin Rossdale from Bush writes the best lyrics out of any singer/songwriter i've ever seen. his lyrics are so cleverly written and have a lot of subtext.

Steerpike
08-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Blind Guardian
Blue Oyster Cult
Iced Earth
Alice Cooper
Iron Maiden
Rush

Blind Guardian is undoubtedly the top of my list. Just look at the lyric sheets to Nightfall in Middle Earth and A Night at the Opera. Shifting structures and schemes, complex meanings, sword and sorcery. Hansi Kursch is one of the greatest songwriters ever.

JessTheDrummer
08-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Bush. Day Two, The cure, sublime i think is funny, but not too great~ Tool, SES, and kinda sadly, i think grateful dead..

werrrdo
08-07-2004, 09:27 PM
TOOL TOOL TOOL TOOL TOOL APC TOOL TOOL TOOL TOOL and also kittie...............

silverchairfreak
08-08-2004, 02:56 AM
TAKING BACK SUNDAY
BRAND NEW

two of the most poetic bands i like......

www.runforit.tk

guitarrey
08-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Mudvayne's A World So Cold, Mike Shinoda,

Bloodlust
08-08-2004, 04:15 AM
I must say Cradle Of Filth......You Can't Exactly hear all the words but the lyrics are quite deep and if you read the newish one's from ****ation and a day they are excellent!

killfile
08-08-2004, 08:58 AM
feedthegods: Nightwish! Yes! Steerpike: Blind Guardian! Yes!
Nightwish has brilliant lyrics (although they are slightly worse in their latest album). Also check out an emo artist called Bright Eyes - wonderful poetic stuff. Also if you're a fantasy nerd you will love Blind Guardian.

phatredge
08-08-2004, 09:45 AM
id say bad religion or dead kennedys, their often intellectual, yet catchy

feedthegods666
08-08-2004, 11:46 AM
I must say Cradle Of Filth......You Can't Exactly hear all the words but the lyrics are quite deep and if you read the newish one's from ****ation and a day they are excellent!

123!!!!!
From the Cradle to Enslave is awesome!

songwritingrocker
08-08-2004, 02:53 PM
"phatredge-id say bad religion or dead kennedys, their often intellectual, yet catchy"

awesome, awesome! :thumb: bad religion rocks and the dead kennedys are really good too

yeah and before i did forget finch, the early november, mest, afi, and evanescence.......

casual
08-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Elvis. It's not even close. After him.. oh, I don't know. Aimee Mann maybe.

Chucky
08-08-2004, 04:37 PM
yeah BRAND NEW rocks...

Disco Dragon
08-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Elvis. It's not even close. After him.. oh, I don't know. Aimee Mann maybe.

dude, Elvis? are you serious? "You ain't nuthin but a hound dog, cryin' all the time?" THAT Elvis? dude, just leave.........now........

Pirate Satellite
08-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Alanis Morisette is also quite poetic. The song Unsent was amazing off of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

I don't really like her music, but I agree with him here. Some pretty expressive lyrics and poems.

I'll go with Bob Dylan, I guess.

Runners-up:
Bob Marley
Jimmy Cliff
Brand New
Joe Strummer
Bright Eyes
Ben Folds
Jesse Michaels
Johnny Cash
Ben Gibbard
Tim Armstrong
Tre Anastacio
The dude from Against Me!

casual
08-08-2004, 05:46 PM
dude, Elvis? are you serious? "You ain't nuthin but a hound dog, cryin' all the time?" THAT Elvis? dude, just leave.........now........

Of course not that Elvis.

night_flux
08-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I'd have to say right now, Pedro The Lion takes the cake for me.

Runners up:
As I Lay Dying
The Weakerthans
Aesop Rock
Thursday
Rage Against The Machine

emoshalldie
08-08-2004, 06:06 PM
ya...brand new...or any emo band...acrually sucks...they dont rock

night_flux
08-08-2004, 06:29 PM
ya...brand new...or any emo band...acrually sucks...they dont rock

Actually, this thread is about lyrics, not their musical stylings. I have been here only a day, and I have seen more "this style sucks" posts than I ever care to see. Please don't ruin a good thread with genre bashing. If you don't like Brand New or Emo, that's fine and dandy, but don't drag a good thread off topic for **** like that.

insertnamehere
08-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Incubus
Tool
Apc
Everclear
Nine Inch Nails
Smashing Pumpkins.
EDIT: I forgot about SOAD.... thanks to the guy below for reminding me :thumb:

and, for a completely different set of reasons... Misfits. While the top lot i either just associate with or think are very clever and well written... Misfits make me laugh, and that's what they're designed to do.

Baodegoth
08-08-2004, 07:01 PM
metallica
mudvayne
incubus
mushroomhead
slipknot
bush
american head charge
queen
tool/apc
soad-(the best in political imo even better than rage but rage is good too)
thrice (has some good stuff)
...and much more i can't think of them all. i'll add when i remember more.

Leonard Cohen - very good lyricist in fact he won an award for his lyrics and he's now between the best in the world.

Father Nature
08-08-2004, 07:07 PM
incubus, listen to "make yourself"

mr_jackalope
08-08-2004, 09:38 PM

oh definately yes. songs like 'Tangled up in Blue,' 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright,' and 'Times They Are A'Changin' among others are untouchable.

i must also sumbit (in addition to Bob and Dismemberment Plan, already mentioned):

Death Cab for Cutie
Dave Matthews
Billy Corgan in any context
Lou Reed (especially with the Velvet Underground)
Elliott Smith
Nick Drake
Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse
Jeff Tweedy of Wilco
Mike Doughty, solo and in Soul Coughing

CSD & the Soul Machines
08-08-2004, 09:44 PM
A few more I've thought of...

Zach de la Rocha-RATM
Claudio Sanchez-Co&Ca
Jeff Buckley
Trent Reznor-NIN
Ian Anderson-Jethro Tull
Eddie Vedder-Pearl Jam
Freddie Mercury-Queen
Thom Yorke

runaroundunwound
08-08-2004, 10:26 PM
I find it sad that so many bands today (im not gonna bash any specific bands/genres but you know what im talking about) dont seem to think more than 5 minutes to write the lyrics they do. This is just my opinion, but the reason a band appeals to me is because they actually put effort in songwriting and their lyrics, its basically an artform in itself. And they actually have something to say, not just useless whining or beating the same topic over and over with a stick. That being said, where are bands of the likes of smashing pumpkins, rage against the machine, pearl jam, or soundgarden??:( id like to think that the future of music as an artform as we know it is not dead.

chickenpotpie
08-08-2004, 10:49 PM
soundgarden and tool

how could i forget their partner bands... audioslave and apc

alien ant farm has some interesting lyrics at times.

Disco Dragon
08-08-2004, 11:16 PM
i'm ashamed that i forgot to mention one of my favorite bands lyrically (and rhythmically, and musically.....and you get the point)..... Coheed and Cambria. i don't know why, but their lyrics never cease to amaze me.

night_flux
08-09-2004, 02:00 AM
My friend Joey's band, Inked In Blood, have some amazing and poignent lyrics. If you feel up to it, check em out.

http://www.inkedinblood.net

WeerezIsTehWinz
08-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Jesse Lacey - Brand New
Conor Oberst - Bright Eyes
Rivers Cuomo - Weezer (Only 1992-1997, though)
Geoff Rickly - Thursday

loserkid5643
08-09-2004, 02:40 AM
I personally really like Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day's lyrics.. but that's just me..

PsychoticSouls
08-09-2004, 05:43 AM
HIM, adam song, pfft er an d fandangle (political ska band)

Dunny
08-09-2004, 05:48 AM
i think
Rage against the machine and
rise against have some of the best lyrics around

Chucky
08-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Greenday lyrics are good...enough (one of my favourite bands.... couldn't get a **** ticket to their concert..!)

I really like lostprophets - last train home
maybe it's just because I really like the music but i like the lyrics too!

Geoff the Chef
08-09-2004, 10:46 AM
the dismemberment plan easily have the most original and intuitive lyrics written in the last 15 years.

And that, as they say, was that.

For what it's worth, I think that Zack de la Rocha (formerly of Rage Against The Machine) is a master lyricist, as is Brian Molko (Placebo).

The6Devils6Son7
08-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Slipknot
Tool/APC
Atreyu
Avenged Sevenfold

yurf_rendenmine
08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
a fire inside

feedthegods666
08-09-2004, 12:30 PM
JON DAVIS!!!
that man is a fvckin genius

The6Devils6Son7
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
JON DAVIS!!!
that man is a fvckin genius

You're right, they've been my favorite band sice i was 7.

Baodegoth
08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
You're right, they've been my favorite band sice i was 7.
god ****...how old are you?

VelvetRevolverChild
08-10-2004, 03:48 PM
EIFFEL 65!

The story behind that--
I write poetry, and my friend who's into emo said, "Your stuff is almost as good as Bright Eyes's lyrics." (Which is a huge compliment from her) Having never heard any of their songs, I asked another chick, who's a huge Bright Eyes fans, and she said, "Nobody has better lyrics than Bright Eyes." So I was b!tching to my brother about how close minded this chick was, and he said, "Yea well, nobody has better lyrics than Eiffel 65!" :)

Anyways, I say Nightwish and Cradle of Filth. (I can't think of any more right now)

xtreme chess
08-10-2004, 04:59 PM
"phatredge-id say bad religion or dead kennedys, their often intellectual, yet catchy"

awesome, awesome! :thumb: bad religion rocks and the dead kennedys are really good too

yeah and before i did forget finch, the early november, mest, afi, and evanescence....... mest?! mest lyrics suck

theredwonder
08-10-2004, 05:05 PM
on the topic of bright eyes, yes connors lyrics are good, but a lot of the time he trys to achieve amazing things with lyrics, and ends up only jst hitting the great mark. overall though, really good. hmmmmMMmm, best lyrics...

sting
radiohead
coldplay
OZONE!!! (wtf is that song about, doesnt even make sense in english. some random crap about the linden tree...)
manic street preachers
the streets
dashboard confessoinal
incubus
... and, bright eyes

aclotm
08-10-2004, 07:20 PM
you have to admit....dashboard has some pretty good lyrics...so does dave matthews

ƒµn §+µƒƒ
08-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Bush. Day Two, The cure, sublime i think is funny, but not too great~ Tool, SES, and kinda sadly, i think grateful dead..
Yeah, Neil Pert's lyrics for Rush would be great poems without the music.

Modest Mouse has very funny/witty/death related lyrics. I don't know, they give you lots of info.

Coheed and Cambria have a whole story behind their songs, so, it's pretty strange.

ƒµn §+µƒƒ
08-15-2004, 10:10 PM
EIFFEL 65!

The story behind that--
I write poetry, and my friend who's into emo said, "Your stuff is almost as good as Bright Eyes's lyrics." (Which is a huge compliment from her) Having never heard any of their songs, I asked another chick, who's a huge Bright Eyes fans, and she said, "Nobody has better lyrics than Bright Eyes." So I was b!tching to my brother about how close minded this chick was, and he said, "Yea well, nobody has better lyrics than Eiffel 65!" :)

Anyways, I say Nightwish and Cradle of Filth. (I can't think of any more right now)
Your brother is not the coolest guy, is he?

cerbius2
08-15-2004, 10:13 PM
I say Slipknot...if u lissen to their lyrics they are deep.....nothingface, smile empty soul....

ihatemybass
08-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Alkaline Trio
Thrice. Yes i said Thrice.

BassPlayinChiaPet
08-16-2004, 01:30 AM

and Incubus, and i'm the first person to say these guys, but i absolutely LOVE Red Hot Chili Peppers lyrics. Keidis is really poetic

Spoilt Brat
08-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Billy Corgan and James Maynard Keenan write amazing poetry. :thumb:

ken1kanniff
08-16-2004, 04:59 AM
so much to consider with this question...

to beat people up to:

early metallica
any korn
clutch (bad bad men)

to chill and consider the deeper meanings:

dave matthews first and foremost for modern lyricists he is master of metaphor imo
bob marley
bob dylan ALL TIME TOP PICK

to party and cause ruckus:
misfits
sublime
ben folds

to make it with the ladies

john mayer
dashboard confessional
brand new

little long but...

shaunybaby
08-16-2004, 10:40 AM

jimmihendrix04
08-16-2004, 11:47 AM
i would have to say ummmm...... here are a few some you may have not heard of but you should check them out.

fall out boy
name taken
armor for sleep
bayside
saves the day
vendetta red
the used
taking back sunday
all american rejects
the rasmus
HIM/HER
clash
ramones
beatles (trippy **** on some songs watch the yellow submarine stoned or on shrooms.)
the doors jim morrision was the fuc*ing man hands down no one can match him.
the vines
the hives
the strokes
good there is really to many people i like that have awesome fuc*king lyrics it is unreal.
if you read any of my songs you could tell. ilisten to a lot of stuff like these guys. well i would name more but i will stop with this last guy.

sean cole awesome guy sings folk music he is from nebraska check him out and the wedding good ****.

peace out

trying
08-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Um... why did so many ppl say Evanescence??? Dont get me wrong i think theyre music is good and Amy Lee has an AMAZING voice, and is an incredibly talented vocalist, but when it comes to lyrics, no... All the lyrics are like the same shyt. Theyre all pretty plain, and mostly all about the same thing. I dont mean to bash Evanescence at all cuz i love them, and if u can find anything off origin online, good for u. A friend of mine made a cd for me of a bunch of songs that weren't on fallen. Id have to say "breathe no more" is definitely one of my favorite songs (vocal-wise)

Blink_Fan315
08-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Linkin Park
Staind
The Cure
Blink 182 (people think they suck, but there lyrics are good and they do flow well on most songs)
Nirvana
AFI

feedthegods666
08-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Linkin Park
Blink 182

Linkin Park have really shallow whiny lyrics and all their songs are about like the same thing. i can post quotes to prove you wrong if you want

and Blink 182 have the shallowest lyrics ive ever read. The blowjob song? my god, thats disgusting.

feedthegods666
08-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Um... why did so many ppl say Evanescence??? Dont get me wrong i think theyre music is good and Amy Lee has an AMAZING voice, and is an incredibly talented vocalist, but when it comes to lyrics, no... All the lyrics are like the same shyt. Theyre all pretty plain, and mostly all about the same thing. I dont mean to bash Evanescence at all cuz i love them, and if u can find anything off origin online, good for u. A friend of mine made a cd for me of a bunch of songs that weren't on fallen. Id have to say "breathe no more" is definitely one of my favorite songs (vocal-wise)

what the fuck is your problem? Amy Lee is lyrically amazing, if you've listened to all the non fallen tracks, listen to Give unto me, or Lies, or October. and you're saying "no" theyre about the same "shyt"...shut up

The Stars
08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
wait a minute, hold everything.
Where's Morrisey? I can't believe some of you are naming BLINK 182 without naming morrissey!

Morrisey
The Doors
Franz Ferdinand

xxxRoCkJuNkiExxx
08-16-2004, 08:25 PM
The Beatles

not all of their songs have the best lyrics(especially some of the early stuff) but a lot of them do

greenday_4lyfe
08-17-2004, 08:37 AM
dude you ppl are forgetting about great lyrics by Greenday, insane lyrics by Billy Talent and untouched lyrics by Linkin Park

greenday_4lyfe
08-17-2004, 08:40 AM
wait the beatles suck and so does elvis he sings about "blue suede shoes" you might as well add nelly and his "air force ones" to the lyrical greatness list

feedthegods666
08-17-2004, 09:27 AM
wait the beatles suck and so does elvis he sings about "blue suede shoes" you might as well add nelly and his "air force ones" to the lyrical greatness list

you've got a point...but LINKIN PARK?! their lyrics suck wicked hard anus, ill give you quotes if you'd like to be proven wrong. some of green day's are ALRIGHT but what about this The cats caught in the dryer
comical yes, but not worthy of "the best lyricist"

jimmihendrix04
08-18-2004, 11:32 AM
um the doors like i said before no one can match jim on poetry or lyrics, just the way he put it all together i mean come on think about who is better then jim morrison, i really can't think of any except conner from bright eye's has some wicked lyrics. hate to say it but i like mansons lyrics a lot just cause they are awesome but not better then jim morrison.

ThePinkPanther
08-18-2004, 12:06 PM
bob dylan
dead kennedys

StrangerMangler
08-18-2004, 12:24 PM
i think Slayer's lyrics are really good because they're funny as crap

.Beck is also good with his because it's always evolving like his music. He come a long way since Mellow Gold

deano_bloodredsky
08-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Iron Maiden have great lyrics, Steve Harris is a very talented writer, along with Bruce, Dave, Adrian, Janick and Nicko.

Just read the lyrics to songs like 2 Minutes to Midnight, some of them are very deep.

for example:
Some blackened pride still burns inside
This shell of bloody treason

and

As the madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song,
To the tune of starving millions to make a better kind of gun.

Midnight was the military code for Nuclear War givin in WWII, the song is about how close we came to the end basically.

Crazy Munki
08-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Morrissey

Littlejohn
08-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Iron Maiden
Dream Theater (Mostly Metropolis 2000)
Thrice
Tool
Chronic Future
The theme song to friends
Shania Twain
Hillary Duff
and
BRAK

Jonny Ramone
08-18-2004, 01:43 PM
The smiths have good lyrics, The Ramones have great lyrics, even though one of the longest songs on one of my albums lasts for 3 minutes

Crazy Munki
08-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Pantera - Walk

PAID2makeGIRLSpanic
08-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Bright Eyes... Conor Oberst is a fucking amazing lyricist.

other great lyricists include:

Jesse Lacey (Brand New)
Adam Lazarra (TBS)
Geoff Rickley (Thursday)
Andrew I-cant-spell-his-last-name(something Corporate)
Matt Skiba (Alkaline Trio)
Dustin I-also-cant-spell-his (Thrice)

Those are just a few...

ihatemybass
08-19-2004, 08:10 PM

and Incubus, and i'm the first person to say these guys, but i absolutely LOVE Red Hot Chili Peppers lyrics. Keidis is really poetic
I love RHCP as well and Kiedis is very poetic, but a bunch of RHCP's lyrics dont make sense. :upset:

guitarmaniattic
08-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Late Beatles
Nirvana
HIM
Led Zeppelin
Death Cab for Cutie
The Cure
The Vines ( alittle psycadelic, but that's what makes them good).
Modest Mouse ( can't go wrong with Satin in a Coffin)

funkadelic69
08-19-2004, 08:22 PM
chili peppers havta be onea the best( i dont meen ther crazy funk songs but songs like californication or fortune faded)then comes incubis, then audioslave, then of course led zepplin(robert plant is prolly the greatest lyrical riter of all time, didnt go first jest cuz ther not together anymor) and paul simon is also onea the best

deano_bloodredsky
08-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Even though I said Iron Maiden earlier, i must admit that in actual fact Bob Dylan, is without a doubt, the greatest lyrical writer of all time!

marley
08-20-2004, 01:01 AM
elvis costello, listen to 'shipbuilding'. dont know if anyone listen to eels here, but E has some of the best lyrics i've ever heard..ever. i listen to bob dylan, and i agree that he had a way with words that no one has...but E is better, thats my opinion at least.

underTheSTAIRS
08-20-2004, 01:11 AM
the guy from bright eyes and desaparecidos is a poet.. so's that one guy from dashboard confessional.. i like they guys' lyrics from at the drive-in better than mars volta. the guys from rage against the machine are good.. the guy from hum too...
i needa start learning some names...

PAID2makeGIRLSpanic
08-20-2004, 01:06 PM
^:thumb:

Conor Oberst is fucking amazing

painfulLove
08-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, depends on what I'm looking for in the lyrics...The Used i can relate to, Brand New is very clevor, and AFI has amazing lyrics that are very poetic.

Blue Light Special
08-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Blind Guardian
Blue Oyster Cult
Iced Earth
Alice Cooper
Iron Maiden
Rush

Rush is up there. Along with Pink Floyd.

Lowness
08-20-2004, 06:52 PM
velvet revolver its kinda cool because in one song it sounds like their making fun of kady lane or whatever her name is but they say ladylayHAHAHa

ihatemybass
08-20-2004, 06:59 PM
:rolleyes:
no.

SDMF45
08-20-2004, 09:57 PM
I think Jim Morrison is by far the best song writer...well atleast of his time period :thumb:But TOOL...just kickass :amaze:

Heaven's Cataract
08-21-2004, 01:02 AM
i'm surprised that more people haven't said tool or apc or even nin for that matter...... emo's taking over the world :(

SDMF45
08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
i'm surprised that more people haven't said tool or apc or even nin for that matter...... emo's taking over the world :(
I wont let that **** take over...we can't. :angry:

bizkit7317
08-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Nirvana
Dashboard Conf.

Tony Flow
08-21-2004, 03:49 PM
John Frusciante is one of the most creative people on the planet

first track on the will to death LISTEN

mshort813
08-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Im going to have to say
Daryl Palumbo (Glassjaw), Geoff Rickely (Thursday), Jesse Lacey (Brand New), Chris Carabba (Dashboard Confessional), Death Cab for cutie, and the postal service, and conor oberst Bright Eyes and Adam Lazarra (Taking Back Sunday.) And also Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain.
ohh AFI AFI AFI. Havoc is amazing.

and Bob Dylan

and the greatest writer is Freddie Mercury

upthebracket
08-21-2004, 04:07 PM
manic street preachers
the libertines
the smiths
the verve / richard ashcroft

my faves

guitarmaniattic
08-22-2004, 01:26 AM
Can't forget Flogging Molly. Just great.

Bertha Cobain
08-22-2004, 01:48 AM

I agree, Alanis Morisette was quite poetic, her newer stuff just sounds sucky though

Big_Redburn
08-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Have to mention Roger Waters

elcapitan
08-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Only a few people have mentioned the most amazing lyric writer in the world. He would happen to be Davey Havoc from AFI. His lyrics and poems and the end of sing the sorrow"" are mind blowing. the poems are i suppose a hidden track at the end of "but home is nowhere"in case you were wondering.

Stonerbunny
08-23-2004, 10:00 AM
the cure, Metallica (some of the old stuff), Silverchair,and Thin Lizzy of course.

MicMidas14
08-23-2004, 10:54 AM
i'm a sucker for poetry.. so i'll have to say

chris cornell - audioslave/soundgarden/temple of the dog
brandon boyd - incubus (both cornell and boyd use imagery A LOT, and i like it :D )
alanis morrisette ( i'd kill for her vocabulary)
and kurt cobain ( his lyrics were always simple but that's the best kind of song)

MicMidas14
08-23-2004, 10:56 AM
oooooo, and if anyone here is familiar with rufus wainwright, he has some truly unique stuff.

CR8CK
08-23-2004, 11:28 AM
My Picks:

- Smashing Pumpkins (billy corgan is the best)
- Third Eye Blind (awesome lyrics to most any of their songs)
- Thrice
- Brand New
- Staind
- Incubus

TranquilMayhem
08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Zao, Norma Jean, Bestiary, Darkest Hour, mewithoutyou, Still Remains, As I Lay Dying, the old UnderOATH(and some new stuff), Josiah, Symphony in Peril, Officer Negative........whoa i think i named too many :amaze: ....oh well theyre all great :thumb:

IOWNU200
08-23-2004, 03:58 PM
I would say fifteen lyrics are my favorite. Jeff writes about his personal esperiences of living on the street and political issues such as rascism and enviormental destruction. His lyrics really motivate you to do something about the world you live in

ProphecyBlack
08-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Out of the various bands I listen to I'd have to say;

Nightwish
Tristania
and Dargaard.

But Nightwish - well aren't they just the absolute perfect all rounders.

SaM_tHe_DrUmMeR
08-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I say Brand New, the ones on "Deja Entendu" has amazing lyrics

Civer
08-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I have to go with four way tie: Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Davey Havok (AFI, hey, at least *I* like his lyrics.), Maynard James Keenan (Tool and A Perfect Circle) and Geoff Rickley (Thursday.) I just love them all. Reznor's lyrics, while sung with such emotion, are interesting to look at, and sometimes beautiful (I cannot get over the overall beauty of The Great Below.) Davey was the guy who got me into writing lyrics again, not to mention how much I love his style (which goes for all of them.) He and Rickly, especially, seem a little cryptic, with some rather bizarre phrases.

Keenan is just awesome. That's really all I can say.

Although, out of all those, Trent Reznor is my all time favorite. His lyric style is varied (short angry songs [All of "Broken"], long, pensive songs with few lyrics ["The Day the World Went Away"], et cetera.)

The_Red_Death
08-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio, Davey Havok of AFI, and I also love the lyircs in a lot of Coheed and Cambria songs. And there are too many other great writers to mention. I just chose the ones that popped into my head.

EDIT: Can't forget Adam Lazarra of Taking Back Sunday.

**CoW*FoX**
08-24-2004, 04:59 AM
the vines man

takingbacktuesday
08-25-2004, 12:52 AM
taking back sunday
bob marley
incubus
jonh mayer, kind of
and jimi hendrix, he has some pretty crazy lyrics, man

Jonace22
08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
1. Bob Dylan
2. Bob Marley
3. Incubus
4. Queens of the Stone Age - I give them a 10/10
5. Jimi Hendrix

and frick i forgot about lennon/mccartney
"here come ol' flat top, he come, grrooovin up slowly"

and jaggar/richards
George Harrison
Jim Morrison
Jerry Garcia/Bob Wier
Bradley Nowell - "when we returned to the pad to unload everything, it dawned on me that i needed new home furnishing, so once again we filled the van until it was full, since that day my living room's been much more comfortable." CMON NOW, IT DONT GET MUCH BETTER THAN THAT!!!

Howlin' Pelle Almquvist is not bad from The Hives
Zach De La Rocha
Cedric and Omar fo'sho
Jay - Z - the man doesnt even write his lyrics down, he just spits them
Nas
RZA, GZA, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, Meth, Ghostface Killah, the entire wu-tang clan
Notorious BIG
2Pac
Cypress Hill

thedeadwalk!
08-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Against Me!

reinventing axl rose
8 full hours of sleep
jordan's first choice, the list goes on, great stuff

A_Perfect_Sonnet
08-25-2004, 05:41 PM
i do enjoy a good taking back sunday song, their lyrics are very well put into the songs, especially using two singers and harmony... it really helps convey the lyrics

who can forget other good ones
1. Led Zepellin (stairway to heaven has amazing lyrics)
2. Brand New
3. From Autumn to Ashes
4. some Dashboard Confessional <--not a big fan
5. I also like Connor Oberst's of Bright Eyes lyrics, so good.

deeps
08-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Jay - Z - the man doesnt even write his lyrics down, he just spits them

.......... so that they all rhyme with izzle..... its just easier that way :rolleyes:

deeps
08-25-2004, 08:40 PM
John Frusciante is one of the most creative people on the planet

first track on the will to death LISTEN
John Frusciante is a fucking musical genious

and

Tragically hip anyone?

Silver jet

There's a still in the night
a tuneless moonlight
just the I-need-you-and-here's-whys of
snoring Gords and Cheryls
there's a heron outside
in violet light
there's an urge to go, a shadow
a heightened air of peril
your heart jumps to
and my heart jumps too
I think, to myself "I don't really know my heart"
and as you whisper 'me too'
a silver jet roars overhead
rocks the nocturne all everglade
and grey sheers
silver jet, so far off already
fought the hot spurs off all the way
to Cape Spear

it's quiet again
when a car like Big Ben
the radio dopplerin'
'...'for all you Gregory Peck fans...
-Let Us Now Praise Famous Men-
to take some pressure off all the wonderous
to fight' and
your heart jumps to
and my heart jumps too
as if the Wolves of Northhumberland themselves
were rumoured to be en route
silver jet, way overhead
you're an archipelago, a satellite,
a green star
with your I-need-you-and-here's-why
flying to the next part

Your heart jumps to
and my heart jumps too
I'm thinking, to myself, 'packing,is a secret heart'
and as you whisper, 'me too'
siler jet roars overhead
silver jet flying to the next part
silver jet so far off already
silver jet, a satellite, a green star
silver jet way overhead
silver jet evergladed grey sheers
silver jet Clayqout sound to Cape Spear

Thats not even their best.

skapunker1234
08-26-2004, 11:58 PM
i dont even like screamo but taking back sundays lyrics are in my opinion amazing. the 2 vocalists blending makes it great

blink has some pretty good lyrics

i think nirvana had great lyrics

the police were geniouses. amazing songs and lyrics

skapunker1234
08-26-2004, 11:58 PM
and my friend peter lol

deveaux
08-27-2004, 11:11 PM
it would definitely have to be Tool, Mudvayne and Coheed and Cambria

A_Perfect_Sonnet
08-27-2004, 11:14 PM
i dont even like screamo but taking back sundays lyrics are in my opinion amazing. the 2 vocalists blending makes it great

blink has some pretty good lyrics

i think nirvana had great lyrics

the police were geniouses. amazing songs and lyrics

taking back sunday = emo
thrice = screamo

any questions now? are we all clear?

LastKissGoodbye
08-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I'd say Something Corporate (Konstantine has amazing lyrics, as do nearly all their other songs). Rage Against The Machine and Nine Inch Nails also have some really good lyrics (Personal fave has to be NIN's "Something I Can Never Have", those lyrics give me goosebumps).
Phil (ex-pantera dude, now in superjoint ritual) had some pretty powerful lyrics (Primal Concrete Sledge, Hollow, Cemetary Gates), but you couldn't make half of them out when you listened to the music. Shame.

psychowaffle
08-27-2004, 11:56 PM
Lou Reed
Jim Morrison
The Clash
Iggy Pop
The Specials

SkidRow
08-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Three bands come to mind, each representing a different area.

Smashing Pumpkins for artistic lyrics
Stratovarius for Global issues
and Reel Big Fish (a personal favorite of mine) for the not so sad side of teen angst.

The Bronx Are Here
08-28-2004, 06:41 PM
You'll probably be shocked but i would say nirvana! i mean for me personally Kurt Cobains lyrics were so meaningful, he based them all on depression and hate that is true in the world! i know the riffs wern't the hardest and the solos wern't the most thrilling but they flow. Like on school of rock that solo at the start it's totally of the beat of the rest of the band but Kurt's riffs fit together with Krist and Dave so well.
If i write a song i just listen to some nirvana and the lyrics just flow out and then the riffs follow. I'm a hippie at heart and then a grunger at soul. All rounder ROCK ON!:chug:

HaH_Drummer
08-28-2004, 11:10 PM
well thats easy mudvayne of couse kud is a genisus idc what any of u say the words he puts on paper is unbeleiveable, there so fitting with today and dark and beatifull.

Corupt2057
08-29-2004, 10:13 AM
7mary3
matchbox20

they have great lyrics that easily allow a variety of listens to relate to on some level

battery5309
08-29-2004, 02:26 PM
has anyone said James Hetfield of Metallica, if not, wow! he is IMO the greatest lyric writer in a heavy metal/thrash/hard rock band, he can write meaningful and deep lyrics(Nothing Else Matters, One, Fade to Black, Low Man's Lyric) and he can write thrashy lyrics that also put across a meaningful point(Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah)

CoopALoop
08-29-2004, 02:35 PM
I woudl have to say ummm Maynard Keenan From Tool and APC
always tohught the were

ohhh ans Smile Empty Soul thosae lyrics are really imagey (s?) and that's it

oh ya and Kurt Cobain I'v eloved his lyrics sinc ei wa sjust a weee lad

barelysaneblinkfan
08-29-2004, 02:55 PM
DEFINTELY NIRVANA!Some others are:Taking Back Sunday,AFI,Linkin Park,Dashboard Cofessional,Blink 182,and Story of The Year.

Twin Lance
08-29-2004, 04:29 PM
id have to say Tool, because when you just look at the lyrics, it doesnt make sense at first but then when you really look into them, all the songs have deep deep meanings behind them. HIM lyrics are also amazing, even if they are all about the same theme pretty much (love). Then you got your Pearl Jam, and Iron Maiden, both of those bands have brilliant lyricists (Vedder and Harris). And finally in my list would have to be good ol Billy Corgan.

VoodooMagik
08-29-2004, 07:29 PM
For me, the most meaningful lyrics come from Senses Fail, Rage Against the Machine and P.O.D.... Alexisonfire and the Get Up Kids have some good stuff too.

Thevermiciousknid
08-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Omar Rodgriguez-Lopez/Cedric Bixler
Bob Dylan
John Lennon on Acid
Thom Yorke
Elliott Smith
the boys from Cannibal Ox
Joe Strummer

lyrics threads suck....(IMO)

A_Perfect_Sonnet
08-29-2004, 08:15 PM
For me, the most meaningful lyrics come from Senses Fail, Rage Against the Machine and P.O.D.... Alexisonfire and the Get Up Kids have some good stuff too.

sorry saying POD in any post about songwriting or lyrics just makes me giggle... due to the fact they suck and are just like a rap band... except worse

Chucky
10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
For me Brand New- Jesse

mshort813
10-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Iron Maiden
Dream Theater (Mostly Metropolis 2000)
Thrice
Tool
Chronic Future
The theme song to friends
Shania Twain
Hillary Duff
and
BRAK

are you ****ing kidding me? The Rembrandts?

mshort813
10-28-2004, 02:54 PM

POD is terrible. Senses Fail, RATM and Alexisonfire are good though.

BAss_MaN69
10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
soad
ratm
a perfect circle

espf-250htd06
10-28-2004, 03:22 PM
lamb of god, shadows fall, breaking benjamin, nightwish, killswith engage, smile empty soul idk thats the main ones cant pick a best or the greatest one ever

Chucky
10-28-2004, 04:28 PM
are you ****ing kidding me? The Rembrandts?

I kind of like that song and the lyrics!
The chorus is nice...

what's wrong with it?
I bet your in to metal...

Nightmare7568993
10-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Blue oyster cult, though im not sure they make sense

Chucky
10-28-2004, 05:49 PM
simple plan... ? ^^

Shady Ultima
10-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Iron Maiden, no comparison.

iridescent
10-29-2004, 12:57 AM
waters and gilmour
marley
plant
lennon

attocarret
10-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Jim Morrison

Linkin_Park15
10-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Linkin Park

kerazay
10-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Smashing Pumpkins
Pixies

Cipher Hour
10-29-2004, 11:33 AM
The chorus is nice...

what's wrong with it?

Way to stereotype, asswipe.

Chucky
10-29-2004, 12:49 PM
I bet your in to metal...too!
Only messing... jeez...

mshort813
10-29-2004, 02:53 PM
The chorus is nice...

what's wrong with it?

i hate metal...

"I'll be there for you,
When the rain starts to pour.
I'll be there for you,
Like I've been there before.
I'll be there for you,
'Cause you're there for me too."

ROM
10-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Motley Crue ... hell of some lyrics

Chucky
10-29-2004, 04:43 PM
i hate metal...

"I'll be there for you,
When the rain starts to pour.
I'll be there for you,
Like I've been there before.
I'll be there for you,
'Cause you're there for me too."

I suppose...
But it fits well with the music and the message is clear....
maybe it's because i like FRIENDS so much...
(btw i think it is "when the rain starts to fall.. just tellin... i know you don't care but)

burton.and.gas
10-29-2004, 05:11 PM
my m8 likes: blink182, green day, linkin park, metallica
,brand new, less than jake, slipknot, lostprophets, the offspring, rancid ,A7X, marilyn manson, anti-flag
i like: Anti-flag, bad religon, against me, AFI(older stuff), the offspring, the liars, the YYYs, less than jake, reel big fish, black flag, the bronx, madness, the clash, sexpistols (glen matlock era).

burton.and.gas
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
"hate metal..."
thank god some one else who hates metal!

amp7325
10-29-2004, 05:18 PM
The Goo Goo Dolls have such good lyrics. Johnny Rzeznik is an amazing lyricist.

And even though the moment passed me by
I still can't turn away
Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
Got tossed along the way
And letters that you never meant to send
Get lost or thrown away

And now we're grown up orphans
That never knew their names
We don't belong to no one
That's a shame
But if you could hide beside me
Maybe for a while
And I won't tell no one your name

And I won't tell em your name

Scars are souvenirs you never lose
The past is never far
Did you lose yourself somewhere out there
Did you get to be a star
And don't it make you sad to know that life
Is more than who we are

You grew up way too fast
And now there's nothing to believe
And reruns all become our history
A tired song keeps playing on a tired radio

I think about you all the time
But I don't need the same
It's lonely where you are come back down

Veteran of the psychic wars
10-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Blue oyster cult, though im not sure they make sense
Check out Martin Popoff's book 'Blue Oyster Cult: Secrets revealed'. That explains a lot of the lyrics.
And yeah, I gotta agree, the lyrics are great.

'It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of the storms.' That is lyrical gold.

Mad_caddies420
10-29-2004, 05:29 PM
alright.. alot of you guys forget to mention mad caddies..they say it liek ti is...well maybe thats jsut me cause i think i love smoking pot just as much as them..so maybe thats why i lik ethere lyrics soo much... but green dya has some good lyrics...there new cd is jsut like one big story in all the songs..its nice.. also thursdya, brand new have good lyrics

Diluted
10-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Maynard
Cobain
Zach de la Rocha
Ozzy

Thats all i can think of right now

mshort813
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I suppose...
But it fits well with the music and the message is clear....
maybe it's because i like FRIENDS so much...
(btw i think it is "when the rain starts to fall.. just tellin... i know you don't care but)

you're right. it fits with the music and theres an overall message, i just dont think they deserve to be on this thread. it is "fall"

Permanent Solution
10-29-2004, 09:42 PM
AFI...read some of their stuff, it is fantastic....this is one of my favorites, it is a poem type thing spoken over a piano piece:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/afi/untitled.html

session9
10-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Some good 'uns (I wouldn't say anyone's the best, my picks change with my mood):

Jarvis Cocker, Tom Waits, Morrissey, Paul McCartney, Frank Zappa, Frank Black, Pete Townsend, Sting, most of the old Motown "production line" writers, and many more...

Jezen
10-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Tool

Permanent Solution
10-30-2004, 01:16 AM
You're a tool.

Jezen
10-30-2004, 01:20 AM
No. Im a toolbox. :D

Permanent Solution
10-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Interesting...I am a black hole vortex. People often get a feeling of vertigo around me...feelin' it? :p

xKONRADx
10-30-2004, 01:51 AM
Maynard
Cobain
Zach de la Rocha
Ozzy

Thats all i can think of right now
you are such a tool(pun). cobain, zach and ozzy were not really good lyricists. and in reality maynard isnt the best either. you are just following the crowds. follower.

xKONRADx
10-30-2004, 01:52 AM
aw, i just read the posts above me now, and it looks like i was following the crowd. ****it.

Jezen
10-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Nah I followed the crowds by listening to Tool's music but now after I have actually read through some of the more meaningful songs, such as Opiate or Disgustipated, I will swear by them that Maynard is the best lyricist.
I didn't mention Lateralus or Aenima because to be honest I dont fully understand them yet. Maynard is a genius.

Arm_The_Homeless
10-30-2004, 02:28 AM
Maynard James Kenan - most powerful vioce and lyrics I've ever heard and they go through a whole range of tones, moods and emotions.

Zach de la Rocha - best political writer I've ever heard and one of the only ones I've ever heard that seemed to have a clear, reasonable message (anything anarchy doesnt make any sense, even animals dont live in anarchial socities) and some of the most educated lyrics out there. He also has a great vioce.

Billy Corgan - very poetic with some strong emotions, great guitarist too.

Trent Renzor - shattered hope ... stuits me.

John Davis - I can really realate to the loss/questioning of faith in anything, the supressed hate and the culture of the music.

Serj Tankian - best political writer now that Zach de la Rocha is out of a band but the non-political songs get old fast

James Hetfield - great songs about death, insanity, war, and the beliefs that people have imposed on them.

Slipknot has good lyrics too ... sometimes you just gotta hate stuff.

Everything about Nirvana sucks. The lyrics, the chord that Kurt Cobain knows, the bass lines only suck worse because he follows Kurts chord and basic drum beats are pretty sad as well.

Music pretty much died about the turn of the century except any bands that were together before and are still now, although most stuff did suck before 2000, too, but there are a few exceptions.

ROM - motley crew ... are you serious?

And someone should have gotten on Chucky before me for saying Simple Plan ... that is the worst band ever ... you are a fucking moron, unless you're nine, then you still have a small bit of time before your brain has reached the point of no return.

Jezen
10-30-2004, 02:33 AM
Good article. Seriously. I agree with everything you said there.

Arm_The_Homeless
10-30-2004, 02:41 AM
Konrad if you don't think Maynard is a great lyricist it's more than likely that his lyrics are far beyone your comprehension and if you don't think Zach is either than you're either not a political person, a right wing nut job, or you're not educated enough to know what hes talking about.

A_Perfect_Sonnet
10-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Sparta,
Atreyu,
Bright Eyes,
Pedro The Lion

XemoXmoshXpitX
10-30-2004, 10:49 AM
I like sunny day real estate for their lyrics.

MisterXIsSilent
10-30-2004, 10:55 AM
In my opinon, dashboard confessional, listen to the song Hands Down and Screaming Infidelities they are both great lyrical pieces

Diluted
10-30-2004, 11:12 AM
you are such a tool(pun). cobain, zach and ozzy were not really good lyricists. and in reality maynard isnt the best either. you are just following the crowds. follower.

excuse me?
who the f.uck are you to tell me who I think have some of the best lyrics???

so, im interested who do you think has written the best lyrics????????????

A_Perfect_Sonnet
10-30-2004, 11:33 AM
noobs getting worked up is laughable.

son of sam
10-30-2004, 02:12 PM
id say bands with best lyrics are,
incubus (brandon boyd)
bush (gavin rossdale)
rage against the machine
rhcp (anthony kledis)
and elliott smith
an probably a few others i forget

A_Perfect_Sonnet
10-30-2004, 02:14 PM
^---force fed music

Permanent Solution
10-30-2004, 02:15 PM
noobs getting worked up is laughable.
I'd say newbs in general are laughable...:p

losersk8er032
10-30-2004, 08:14 PM
underoath, coheed and cambria and atreyu all have great lyrics. u can feel the intensity of their words when they sing.their live shows also prove that they have good lyrics because everyone knows them and it can relater to their lives. I recently went to an underoath show and they blew me away.

Disco Dragon
10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Bush is not force-fed music. Bush was barely mainstream, with the exceptions of "Comedown" and "Glycerine" (which are both good songs). I agree with whoever said that they have good lyrics, because they're just abstract enough for everyone to get something different from them.

mshort813
10-31-2004, 09:31 AM
no one mentioned Tim Kasher from Cursive. He's an amazing writer.

guitarist532
10-31-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't really like her music, but I agree with him here. Some pretty expressive lyrics and poems.

Runners-up:
Bob Marley
Jimmy Cliff
Brand New
Joe Strummer
Bright Eyes
Ben Folds
Jesse Michaels
Johnny Cash
Ben Gibbard
Tim Armstrong
Tre Anastacio
The dude from Against Me!
Amen! , you seem like the only guy who knows anything about lyrics... Elvis , Blink 182 ? what are you little kids?

son of sam
10-31-2004, 12:08 PM
^---force fed music

just cuz theyre all popular bands/ artists doesnt mean their havent got good lyrics, they r popular for a reason, i agree jessie of brand new writes pretty good lyrics- saw them open for incubus last summer

i am the robots
10-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Korn.
That is meaningful songwriting.
Plus Jon Davis is such a good lyricist, he has entire sentences and lines that rhyme.

hannah
11-01-2004, 04:06 AM
ben folds- seeing him live in less than two weeks! hehehehe!
tori amos- am always astounded at this woman
ben kweller- such cute lyrics!
chris martin
elliott smith
thom yorke
gary lightbody(snow patrol)
late beatles
roger waters

TransistorKolt
11-01-2004, 08:13 AM
id say bad religion or dead kennedys, their often intellectual, yet catchy

Most deffinately :thumb:

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Korn.
That is meaningful songwriting.
Plus Jon Davis is such a good lyricist, he has entire sentences and lines that rhyme.

sarcasm?

i am the robots
11-01-2004, 02:36 PM
No sarcasm... I'm entitled to my opinions.

Steerpike
11-01-2004, 02:55 PM
I think he was wondering if that was sarcasm because of that last sentence. Songs generally do have a rhyme scheme, so...

kalebsden
11-01-2004, 02:59 PM
well...getting back on topic :)
I love everything Pete Doherty writes, well, the older stuff...Libertines and Babyshambles

cant_stand_me_now
11-01-2004, 03:02 PM
the libertines have some great lyrics as do the who, the clash, bob dylan, the white stripes and many more that are too much effort to type. you get the point though.

i am the robots
11-01-2004, 03:29 PM
I think he was wondering if that was sarcasm because of that last sentence. Songs generally do have a rhyme scheme, so...

I mean that he rhymes every word in the line:

Rolling and going controlling everything that goes this far
Hoping and choking revolting all this shit that's who you are

Steerpike
11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
I mean that he rhymes every word in the line:

Rolling and going controlling everything that goes this far
Hoping and choking revolting all this shit that's who you are

It's not like that's anything new. Plenty of lyricists can do that. Dio is the first one that comes to mind, for me. Check out Rainbow in the Dark.

Chucky
11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
alkaline trio?

Chucky
11-01-2004, 04:18 PM
The thread starter me... started a new thread... the worst lyrics ... go check it out...

Steerpike
11-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I can't remember if anyone ever said this in the thread, but how about Warren Zevon? That man wrote some great lyrics in his time.

"Don Qixote had his windmills
Ponce de Leon too his cruise
Took Sindbad 7 voyages
To see that it was all a ruse"
-from Looking for the Next Best Thing

"I had the **** 'till it all got smoked
I kept the promise 'till the vow got broke
I had to drink from the lovin' cup
I stood on the banks 'till the river rose up

I saw the bride in her wedding gown
I was in the house when the house burned down"
-from I Was in the House When the House Burned Down

"They say love conquers all
You can't start it like a car
You can't stop it with a gun"
-from Searching for a Heart

And of course all of the lyrics from Werewolves of London and Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner are brilliant.

i am the robots
11-02-2004, 07:59 PM
Amazing Steerpike..... truly amazing.

extremities9
11-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Dead Kennedys

deejuks2
11-02-2004, 08:10 PM
either anything with MIKE PATTON, or anything written by the MELVINS.

you proabably wouldn't understand it though..

deejuks2
11-02-2004, 08:13 PM
just cuz theyre all popular bands/ artists doesnt mean their havent got good lyrics, they r popular for a reason, i agree jessie of brand new writes pretty good lyrics- saw them open for incubus last summer

remember, 99.9% of mainstream listeners are total morons. i am correct. period.

the reason they are popular is because people like a good song to shake their "groove-thang" to, NOT becuase they are brilliant, wich they are definately NOT.

Merkaba
11-03-2004, 12:48 AM
remember, 99.9% of mainstream listeners are total morons. i am correct. period.

the reason they are popular is because people like a good song to shake their "groove-thang" to, NOT becuase they are brilliant, wich they are definately NOT.

Attention everyone, this would be known as egoism and opinion.

Thank you

Merkaba
11-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Dont forget Chris Cornell

Merkaba
11-03-2004, 12:54 AM
The Goo Goo Dolls have such good lyrics. Johnny Rzeznik is an amazing lyricist.

And even though the moment passed me by
I still can't turn away
Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
Got tossed along the way
And letters that you never meant to send
Get lost or thrown away

And now we're grown up orphans
That never knew their names
We don't belong to no one
That's a shame
But if you could hide beside me
Maybe for a while

Scars are souvenirs you never lose
The past is never far
Did you lose yourself somewhere out there
Did you get to be a star
And don't it make you sad to know that life
Is more than who we are

You grew up way too fast
And now there's nothing to believe
And reruns all become our history
A tired song keeps playing on a tired radio

I think about you all the time
But I don't need the same
It's lonely where you are come back down

I love this song. Thanks for reminding me. I havent listened to it in a while.

Arm_The_Homeless
11-03-2004, 05:17 PM
deejuks theres a difference between mainstream and mtv, keep that in mind.

CSD & the Soul Machines
11-03-2004, 07:47 PM
For the time being here's my list:

Bob Dylan
Thursday
Rage
Mars Volta/ATDI
Brand New
Alkaline Trio
Cursive
Glassjaw
Coheed
Pumpkins
Jethro Tull
Beatles
Jackson Brown
Neil Young
Public Enemy
Tupac
Zeevon
Bob Marley
Cobain (redefined songwriting at the time and no one can argue agaisnt his impact on music)
Pearl Jam
Johnny Cash
Pink Floyd
...I'm sure there are other great ones that I've forgotten.

deejuks2
11-03-2004, 08:18 PM
deejuks theres a difference between mainstream and mtv, keep that in mind.
MTV is mainstream, mainstream isn't always MTV.

Arm_The_Homeless
11-03-2004, 10:01 PM
That was basically my point deejuks. People who listen to MTV mainstream are undoubtably idots, but alot of the other mainstream is really good music.

And Steerpike, Eleventeen diddn't know his terminology, John Davis uses alot of rythm most writers write in verse, especially in that genre, but John uses blank verse.

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-03-2004, 10:04 PM
sometimes i watch that subterrainian show, just to see if theres a band i like... some of the bands on mtv are okay, but undoubtedly most of it sucks

Arm_The_Homeless
11-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I've never much liked Chris Cornell, he's got a good voice, but his lyrics are way off my style.

silverchairfreak
11-06-2004, 02:47 AM
But,,,,in The End Its All About The Music!!!

ArtistInTheAmbulence
11-06-2004, 03:25 AM
Has everyone forget about Morrisey, the man who taught us to loathe ourselves.

factor46
11-06-2004, 08:32 AM
...how many times has this thread been redone?...

but, ill answer anyways. :D

Blindside
Thrice
Chevelle
Norma Jean
As I Lay Dying
From Autumn To Ashes
Brand New

....that's my list for right now.

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Has everyone forget about Morrisey, the man who taught us to loathe ourselves.

didnt someone already mention the smiths?

mshort813
11-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah, like 10 times.

All IN
11-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Thursdays jeff wrigley kicks much butt on lyrics an paul simon isnt to bad

mshort813
11-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Thursdays jeff wrigley kicks much butt on lyrics an paul simon isnt to bad

uhm, yeah...geoff rickley would be a good way to spell it. Yeah, thanks.

TrailOfTragedy
11-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Converge, Circle Takes the Square, Fear Before the March of Flames

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-06-2004, 01:54 PM
circle takes the square has interesting lyrics, but not anything that special

All IN
11-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Oops im a dumbass sorry

TrailOfTragedy
11-06-2004, 02:25 PM
circle takes the square has interesting lyrics, but not anything that special

:amaze:

Flaminghotchino
11-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Roger Waters, Bob Dylan, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, James Maynard Keenen, Robert Plant, Thom York, Bjork, Zack De'la Rocha,.

HIM,Nightwish, And Metallica have some cool lyrics, but there kind of..overdone, IMO.

metaliq
11-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Hmm... ill list some bands that have good lyrics that come to mind, that might not have been mentioned? I wont list the obvious ones like Bright Eyes and Brand new... :) ...

Everytime I Die
MewithoutYou <--- I am currently obsessed with these guys :thumb:
Showbread
Incubus
Living Sacrifice
He Is Legend
Rise Against
Sparta
The Spill Canvas

Meh, those and quiet a few more.

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-06-2004, 07:05 PM
showbread rools! :)

and that one band on battle for ozzfest, A Dozen Furies, is pretty **** good

www.adozenfuries.com

metaliq
11-06-2004, 07:38 PM
that one band on battle for ozzfest

Never heard of the show... but I looked it up and it looks stupid. Seems that most of these bands havent been together long and are inspired by the mainstream heavy music... not that that is bad, but I could think of hundreds of other bands that have been together longer and who are probably better that could have gotten on.

And eliminating bands because they cant do a task? Isnt this about getting the best band on the tour? And a final twist? Seems lame.

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-06-2004, 08:16 PM
dude, they are the only good band, and i only watched one episode, you dick

Permanent Solution
11-06-2004, 08:19 PM
? Why can't we all just play nice for once? :(

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-06-2004, 08:29 PM
i was just JOKING zep, GEEZ you TWAT ;)

Permanent Solution
11-06-2004, 08:36 PM
:( You people are meaner than the folk in THE PIT! :(:(:(

EMO101
11-06-2004, 11:42 PM
in my opinion, thursday. hands down. that isn't to say that they are the only band with lyrics i like, but i love ALL the lyrics to ALL their songs.

other than that i'm into underoath, cake, and staind (i dont really know why i like staind's they arent anything special but they strike a cord with me)

THURSDAY IS GOD!!! NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE MATCHES THIER LYRICICAL ABILITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArtistInTheAmbulence
11-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Geoff is an very talented song writer. Check out For the workforce, Drowning or Cross Out The Eyes.

Zortalk
11-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Rob Halford (Minus his stint with Fight), Eric Clapton, and I always had a love for Machine Head's lyrics

Third3ye
11-07-2004, 01:23 AM

Wow. I'm amazed that you are able to say the Beatles suck. I do feel sorry for you.

But anyways, I like alot of lyrics, I like alot of the bands which have already been mentioned to death. (minus Staind and all the Emo-crap)

Third Eye Blind
Everclear

and why has no one said Oasis? Great band.

A_Perfect_Sonnet
11-07-2004, 11:57 AM
i think this became a "my band has better lyrics than yours" thread... :\

Zortalk
11-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Well, Rob Halford is god...

mshort813
11-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Wow. I'm amazed that you are able to say the Beatles suck. I do feel sorry for you.

But anyways, I like alot of lyrics, I like alot of the bands which have already been mentioned to death. (minus Staind and all the Emo-crap)

Third Eye Blind
Everclear

and why has no one said Oasis? Great band.

Oasis has been mentioned several times.

Tim Kasher is my favorite writer at the moment.

Arm_The_Homeless
11-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Morrisey, music with lyrics has been around as long as music and spoken language.

sketchyjoe
11-13-2004, 07:33 AM
Jello Biafra is the best lyricist in my opinion. He perfected the art of writing controversial lyrics that got people interested and following them up with blistering tirades against the flaws in society that still have relevance today. He was singing MTV Get Off THe Air before it was cool to hate MTV. He used wit and humour to get his point across. If you haven't heard or experienced his lyrics you really should.

For examples of good Jello Biafra lyrics:

California Uber Alles (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-california-uber-alles-vghg95h.html)
Kill The Poor (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-kill-the-poor-lsks733.html)
Moral Majority (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-moral-majority-fnwj1x5.html)
Riot (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-riot-nmncjt1.html)
Well Paid Scientist (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-well-paid-scientist-v1t1g7j.html)
Forest Fire (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-forest-fire-76pq5nr.html)
Chicken Farm (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-chicken-farm-z5fcbhh.html)
Stars And Stripes Of Corruption (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-stars-and-stripes-of-corruption-2dsgbsn.html)
This Could Be Anywhere (http://www.letssingit.com/dead-kennedys-this-could-be-anywhere-this-could-be-everywhere-pnh4h47.html)
MTV Get Off The Air (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/MTV-Get-Off-The-Air-lyrics-Dead-Kennedys/20325F96BD196BB548256EAB0008620C)
Pull My Strings (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Pull-My-Strings-lyrics-Dead-Kennedys/1054164F20FAE7C948256AD6002C35FE)

brandnewsin
11-13-2004, 08:15 AM
soundgarden/audioslave...chris cornell, layne staley wrote very well and jerry cantrell has learnt well from him. also rob zombie, just for the sheer parodyness(!) of his lyrics

theBOYinTHEcorner
11-13-2004, 09:25 AM
taking back sunday and brand new and i like how green day always uses metaphors and contradicts themselves in songs

Burningwater
11-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Green Day
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Godsmack(some songs, like spiral)

HelterSkelter
11-14-2004, 01:23 AM
I think System of a Down does hands down. When Serj sings there is such Simplicity and flow, yet the lyrical meanings are so cryptic and have many hidden meanings to them. In addition they sing about very relavant things. not to say other bands don't but lately it seems to me that lots of bands are whining about getting pop quizes and not being able to get the hot girl in jr. high. Just my opinion please dont flame me

sketchyjoe
11-14-2004, 08:26 AM
In addition they sing about very relavant things. not to say other bands don't but lately it seems to me that lots of bands are whining about getting pop quizes and not being able to get the hot girl in jr. high.
You need to look a bit further than MTV in my opinion.

AshesOfHate
11-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Dani Filth writes awsome lyrics i also like Atreyu's and Satyricon

6(sic)6drummer
11-14-2004, 11:54 AM
corey taylor...speaks the real truth about life

Far From Invisible
11-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Underoath
Boys Night Out
Atreyu
Thursday