PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pounder P-bass pickup

H flat
08-03-2004, 09:03 AM
By: Seymour Duncan (Basslines series)
Price: $69.99 retail

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/images/SPB-3.jpg

What can I say... pretty much any long-term P-bass player has heard of these beauties, as they are the best upgrade for a Squier P-bass, or even a standard Precision Bass, not to mention the knockoffs that will be able to fit these perfectly.

INSTALLATION
Since they are direct, "bolt in" replacements, wiring and assembly is EXTREMELY easy, as there are only 2 soldier joints; however, those with little soldering experience with soldering may have trouble with the joint on the volume pot (knob), as it is relatively small and cramped. For the record, I don't have an iron and am installing these tonight, but I took my pickguard off last night and can clearly see how they install.

FIT 'N FINISH
The finish on the plastic covers is unbelieveable; from the package and ecen after I held them in my hand I thought they were metal! The BASSLINES logo is also kickass. But who could forget the look of the quarter inch poles? These things shine like no tomorrow. HOWEVER, my covers appear to be scratched, as like Duncan had sent my music shop a used pair of covers. Not a huge deal; I really need the tone these give for a tribute song... you can't see any of the marks from over 8 inches away or so. The included mounting screws are also a bit too big for the holes on the pickup's casing; this will be fine once i actually use a screwdriver. ;)

OVERALL RATING
(4.5/5)

PROS: INSANE sound for a P-bass or ripoff, great looks, easy installation.
CONS: The pickup casing didn't seem perfect on my set, and the screws didn't fit perfectly.

I TOTALLY reccomend these things, though they are a bit pricey. You're also going to need to know at least how to soldier a few wires together.

[NOTE: I will edit this post tonight (3/8/2004) with a section on the sound of these bad boys.]

:wave:

i'm_soooo_emo
09-17-2004, 04:12 AM
I might get a p bass rip of (i cant afford a real one) and get some new pickus for it. Awesome.

Untitled
09-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Yay, its good to hear that 1/4er pounders are good, im geting some when i get my Pbass :)

Alma
10-18-2004, 05:50 AM
i might whack one of those in my deluxe pbass :p

FattMattNIS
10-22-2004, 08:23 PM
these are some nice pickups, and indeed the best upgrade for a squire. i have them on my squire. now besides the chip in the head stock (thats what i get for throwing my bass around me at a show) it's just as good as a standard P (along with other modifications)

but sadly to say i recently sold it for $275 (it was a good deal considering i bought it for 100 bucks and spent 90 on other **** for it)

lowrider5
10-23-2004, 09:41 PM
They are fat pickups but they got little treble. But i do recommend them for pop-rock and not metal

Lumberjacker
11-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the review.

Techmonkey
11-21-2004, 11:52 AM
How would they work on my Westfield SB427 PJ bass? I've been looking to get a fatter sound out of it...

traveljug
11-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I've got a Westfield too and I might be getting these bad boys put into it. However, I might just say up for a Fender Mark Hoppus instead...

Bedrovelse
12-31-2004, 06:58 AM
i put these in my p bass rip off, as i really wanted a p bass, and cudnt be arsed spend 400+ on a fender or whateva.. as it aint my main bass.. so.. but it sounds amazing. :thumb: