PDA

View Full Version : Am I A Hopeless screamer?

kingfreddys
07-31-2004, 01:23 AM
hi, i've read all the material online that i can get my hands on to be able to scream, mainly Screaming tips found on this forum board. I have experimented with my voice as much as possible. I just can't get any rasp. Can anyone give me some specific tips? it's the hardest thing i've come across musically. And is what i want the most. i don't know how to get the air to scrape my throat, is it supposed to scrape the top (where the mouth meets it?) or what....... Whenever i try my hardest to get rasp, it just sounds like me yelling with no rasp at all, please help, if i can do this, i will have a complete band

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 05:12 AM
i remember thinking, **** if i could just scream like chino or maynard or whoever. i guess you have to be born with it. i guess im just a mediocre singer. wanhhh. But Now if Chris Cornell and maynard etc, are A+ then im an A. no joke. and i will be A+... i just had to work to get there. (and im stuck in a town with little musical avenues) i practice my voice everyday unless im bedridden sick which i never am. even if i were i would still be doing EEEE's and vowels and exercises. go read my replies here:
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214130

drummerdunc86
08-01-2004, 08:30 AM
heres a tip: try singing instead of screaming like the 5 million talentless bands out there whos song i turn off immediately when heard. be original.

BassMan182
08-01-2004, 11:12 AM
heres a tip: try singing instead of screaming like the 5 million talentless bands out there whos song i turn off immediately when heard. be original.

my thoughts entirely...

stop trying to be ****ing emo, it's ****e. emo/screamo/post hardcore, it's all a bunch of ****.

shadedlife
08-01-2004, 12:04 PM
there are tons of people that can scream and sing that have ****loads of talent. generalization's a bitch.

BassMan182
08-01-2004, 12:12 PM
it's not that, screaming can be harder than singing. it's the fact that screaming is so cliche and overused, people just want to do it so they fit into a genre they're aspiring to be.

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:00 PM
it's not that, screaming can be harder than singing. it's the fact that screaming is so cliche and overused, people just want to do it so they fit into a genre they're aspiring to be.

Bullshlt!!

cliche? thats like saying, dont sing, scream, singing is so cliche.

I get pissed off at generalizations because its the same thing that people do when they are racist or feminist. with regards to whole ways of music, like Rock, heavy metal, or rap. to say that "this is the way they all do it and this is why" is so lame. so lame. and so lame

its a vocal technique that can convey a certain emotion or idea. people like to learn it. get over it. do you use a pick or finger your bass? or both. get my point?

if you dont like screaming in a song, then say it. but dont fit everyone into your little generalization. So i listen to Tool, Mudvayne, Apc, Chris Cornell, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Esthero, Res, and Sarah McLachlan. Now tell me what Genre I'm trying to fit into...go ahead.

chrissy-g
08-01-2004, 04:32 PM
what about shouting as if you are angry, it dont sound like screaming.
Sound much better ...,
:D

shadedlife
08-01-2004, 05:24 PM
I actually prefer screaming to shouting.

kingfreddys
08-01-2004, 06:43 PM
well, i enjoy the sound of screaming, it's the sound that i love to hear, and so do my band members, i'm the lead guitarist, and it would make my band's dream of being an avenged sevenfold style of band, but make our own talents make it more original, i've been playing guitar for about 8-9 months not even a year, and i can play Paul Gilbert, Malmsteen, and Michael Angelo songs, and i have learned many modes/scales, and the notes that are in a key and etc. To make our band more original, while still scream and and sing, i will personally add, fret burning licks, with all sorts of techniques, alternate and alternative picking, tapping, but not have the song based around speed such as other fast playing guitarists.

I have been working on scream since this post, and i have developed some kind of rasp, but just doesn't sound right........ maybe when i get my computer mic from my friend or something, i will post what i sound like and get some tips. In conclusion, i love screaming and i will always love listening to it, and nothing can tear me away from that style. thanks for the advice merkaba.

my goal is to scream like avenged sevenfold, and hopefully someday, develop his singing voice. Is there anyway for me to find out what the lowest and highest not i can reach when singing, sing my lowest and trying to find the same note on a piano or something?

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 11:19 PM
well, i enjoy the sound of screaming, it's the sound that i love to hear, and so do my band members, i'm the lead guitarist, and it would make my band's dream of being an avenged sevenfold style of band, but make our own talents make it more original, i've been playing guitar for about 8-9 months not even a year, and i can play Paul Gilbert, Malmsteen, and Michael Angelo songs, and i have learned many modes/scales, and the notes that are in a key and etc. To make our band more original, while still scream and and sing, i will personally add, fret burning licks, with all sorts of techniques, alternate and alternative picking, tapping, but not have the song based around speed such as other fast playing guitarists.

I have been working on scream since this post, and i have developed some kind of rasp, but just doesn't sound right........ maybe when i get my computer mic from my friend or something, i will post what i sound like and get some tips. In conclusion, i love screaming and i will always love listening to it, and nothing can tear me away from that style. thanks for the advice merkaba.

my goal is to scream like avenged sevenfold, and hopefully someday, develop his singing voice. Is there anyway for me to find out what the lowest and highest not i can reach when singing, sing my lowest and trying to find the same note on a piano or something?

yea. or use a guitar. its not rocket science. and you need to be using your falsetto for your highest note. if you can find it which it seems that most people cant around here. just try to sound like a girl. but you must have an open pallet. like youre about to say ahhh for the doctor. if youre not good at getting into falsetto, just do a high "hah" like a girl. you have to bee somewhat open to even make the ahh sound. but use Hah. the h in the fron gets you open and h at the end keeps you open. or should. open your mouth wide but not too wide or straining. and lift your cheeks like that other guy said in another post. kinda like a smile. keep your neck straight or your chin just a little bit tucked down, just a little, when youre trying for higher notes. (of course when youre performing you should have the feelings down to where you dont have to do all that, unless youre in opera) just relax and dont overthink(i like to overexplain because i love this stuff) but again, its not rocket science. but you gotta relax. thats key
but dont try to do too much too soon. but once you get the technique down, then you can start building strength and stamina. its more about feel that anything else. you actually feel the correct ways, the balance between push and sound. and thats one thing i like about it. its the overall feel and emotion i let loose when i sing/scream/etc.
keep at it dude. dont judge yourself about you've been trying for this amount of time. this post aint that old! it will take some work and time and you dont want to kill yourvoice in the process. scar tissue in one of your vocal muscless equals weakness. do it right, which might be slow. hell, if your band knows whats good for them they will be patient too. but you might surprise yourself. did you check out my replies? you really should try to get Wonderful World. download it or something. you cant get good rasp unless you relax, yet you have to counteract that with the blast of emotion and air it takes. not relaxing the throat while blasting will render you damaged and career-less prone. if you can learn to rasp at a relaxed 30% push like that Louis Armstrong song you can move up very fast, in my opinion. go get it! :wave:

kingfreddys
08-02-2004, 03:03 AM
is falsetto kind of singing half-assed or............................ when you hit your highest note possible, you know that's falsetto, i'm kind of confuesed on what falsetto is

Merkaba
08-02-2004, 03:59 AM
oh no, its not half assed. its just airy and high pitched. think The Darkness, or Prince, or mariah Carey. I'm gonna get around to posting some sound clips one day. the point of falsetto differs from person to person. if you feel like youre singing high, then youre probably using some falsetto. it just means youre singing higher than your normal range. But i know the idea, its kinda like...cheating a bit, maybe, but not half assed. just try to say "heeeooohhh" like a little girl

kingfreddys
08-02-2004, 05:12 AM
alright, i understand

KKKKKocaine
08-02-2004, 12:33 PM
hi, i've read all the material online that i can get my hands on to be able to scream, mainly Screaming tips found on this forum board. I have experimented with my voice as much as possible. I just can't get any rasp. Can anyone give me some specific tips? it's the hardest thing i've come across musically. And is what i want the most. i don't know how to get the air to scrape my throat, is it supposed to scrape the top (where the mouth meets it?) or what....... Whenever i try my hardest to get rasp, it just sounds like me yelling with no rasp at all, please help, if i can do this, i will have a complete band

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you, apart from saying that the people who dissed you for screaming are talentless idiots :thumb:
Screaming came quite naturally to me, all I have to do is tense my neck up, pull an angry face and let rip, I think you can do it though, I think everyone can, it might just be a matter of more practice, or even confidence?
You never know, you might be holding back on yourself because 5% of you thinks "I don't want to look silly If I do it wrong"
Good Luck.

BassMan182
08-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Bullshlt!!

cliche? thats like saying, dont sing, scream, singing is so cliche.

I get pissed off at generalizations because its the same thing that people do when they are racist or feminist. with regards to whole ways of music, like Rock, heavy metal, or rap. to say that "this is the way they all do it and this is why" is so lame. so lame. and so lame

its a vocal technique that can convey a certain emotion or idea. people like to learn it. get over it. do you use a pick or finger your bass? or both. get my point?

if you dont like screaming in a song, then say it. but dont fit everyone into your little generalization. So i listen to Tool, Mudvayne, Apc, Chris Cornell, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Esthero, Res, and Sarah McLachlan. Now tell me what Genre I'm trying to fit into...go ahead.

how can i not generalise when every single emo band sounds identical?

"its a vocal technique that can convey a certain emotion or idea" - no, it doesn't. it's just been copied so many times over so people can sound like emo bands in the charts. there's nothing emotional about it at all.

KKKKKocaine
08-02-2004, 01:09 PM

Yeah, how about you say that to my mums face? :lol:

Seriously though, I could say that all rock is just shouting, all metal is just double bass e.t.c., the difference is, I choose not to generalise, name all the emo bands you know, and If I know more than you, your statement automaticly is false because you haven't heard all bands.

BassMan182
08-02-2004, 02:14 PM
generally, i am against generalisation, but the truth is that most new bands (mainstream and local) try to fit into the emo scene.

opaque miasma
08-02-2004, 02:41 PM
oh no, its not half assed. its just airy and high pitched. think The Darkness, or Prince, or mariah Carey. I'm gonna get around to posting some sound clips one day. the point of falsetto differs from person to person. if you feel like youre singing high, then youre probably using some falsetto. it just means youre singing higher than your normal range. But i know the idea, its kinda like...cheating a bit, maybe, but not half assed. just try to say "heeeooohhh" like a little girl

falsetto is constricting your vocals cords. Screaming is opening them as wide as you possibly can with a little bit of resistence on the way out (hence the rasp). maybe using falsetto will give you some gay high "fake" scream but if you are doing it right the sound will come straight from the bottom of your throat with your vocals cords completaly lax, besides minor tightening ad lossening to go higher and lower. My advise is for the threadstarter to go somewhere where you can just play some insanely loud music with a PA and have a mic in your hand and then be completaly comfortable with no one around or anything and then just open your mouth wide as hell and let loose as much air as possible from the gut without constriction and you should feel it. it might take some time but you might or might not learn how.

kingfreddys
08-02-2004, 03:14 PM
just becuase a band screams/sings and plays power chords doesn't make them identical, most of the bands i listen to are emocore and they all sound different, there screamers sound different, there singing is different, sometimes the techniques are different, the way they mix the singing and screaming together is different, the only similarity is that they play emocore music, and they have a hell of a time performing.

i went to a very small venue, where three bands played, they all screamed. these bands aren't popular, the only people that really came to this event was there friends. each of those bands sounded completely different, all though they weren't good, they still sounded different from eachother, one band sucked, they had a decent screamer, but they basically had no riffs, jsut chords, the next band had some sweet riffs, and a decent singer, but they had no bassist, so the 2nd guitar had to take up an interesting role, making them original, and the last band sounded great, there drummer, lead and rythm guitar, and bassist all needed a mic, becuase they all were singing, so that just sounded sweet, also making them original. point is, those 3 bands were just an example of how bands that play emo could be different. There is no way that every single emo band sounds the same.

BassMan182
08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
just becuase a band screams/sings and plays power chords doesn't make them identical, most of the bands i listen to are emocore and they all sound different, there screamers sound different, there singing is different, sometimes the techniques are different, the way they mix the singing and screaming together is different, the only similarity is that they play emocore music, and they have a hell of a time performing.

but it all sounds the same. i'm sorry but it just does. let's not forget that every emo band looks exactly the same, and have an identical line up too.

insertnamehere
08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
emo wasnt exactly the first, last and only genre to use screaming. Just because he or someone else wants to scream doesnt mean he's trying to fit into it...

besides, i'd class the emo signature scream as more of a wail.

j0s1ah
08-02-2004, 08:40 PM
what is the 'emo scream'? give a band or song.

Merkaba
08-03-2004, 01:00 AM
falsetto is constricting your vocals cords.

False. Dead wrong to be exact.
AGAIN... Falsetto is when you open the cords...not constrict them. you open them up and the sound comes from the air being cut by the edges of yoru cords. by definition, that is what falsetto is. Thats why its the proper way to scream because the cords ARENT constricted
Screaming is opening them as wide as you possibly can with a little bit of resistence on the way out (hence the rasp).
False. The rasp comes from the air scraping the back of your throat, if you are screaming correctly. you get more air with less damaging resistance by opening up your cords, falsetto. it makes sense, its not rocket science. your cords are where your adams apple is, no higher, and anyone that screams feels the air scrape the back of the throat, but the vocal cords shape the air much lower.

maybe using falsetto will give you some gay high "fake" scream but if you are doing it right the sound will come straight from the bottom of your throat with your vocals cords completaly lax, besides minor tightening ad lossening to go higher and lower. My advise is for the threadstarter to go somewhere where you can just play some insanely loud music with a PA and have a mic in your hand and then be completaly comfortable with no one around or anything and then just open your mouth wide as hell and let loose as much air as possible from the gut without constriction and you should feel it. it might take some time but you might or might not learn how. :lol:

AGAIN...Falsetto is having the cords open. if this is gay, then you know what they say about opinions and azzholes. you can sing lower pitches with your falsetto but its airy, like chino moreno does alot. the lower you go the less tone you can achieve because you can get much tone from vibrating the edge of thick vocal cords! this is basically what a whisper is, low, airy, falsetto. can you add tone to a whisper. NO! but when you want to scream any mid to high range pitch you need to open your cords, this means falsetto, this means less resistance on your cords. This is not a "fake" scream. if it sounds fake then you dont have enough strength and or control. I study this stuff, if you can't tell. so i like sharing facts. you can read what you want and do with it what you want, but its easy to tell facts from opinions.

BassMan182
08-03-2004, 06:04 AM
what is the 'emo scream'? give a band or song.

listen to any emo band/song... it's not fookin rocket science!

Thomas Ziano
08-03-2004, 07:39 AM
In my opinion...

·lyrics must be preserved while singing (six feet under limit, you can understand their lyrics tho he screams all the time)

·If you can't really scream you can indeed simply try singing louder, increase volume

·start with your 'bass-scream' and end with somekind of 'mid-scream', maybe try simply screaming 'wwwaah' or 'mmmmah' or 'aaaah'

·you got these elvisguys singing kinda weird trying to sing like elvis kinda like 'aha-ha' 'yeah', i guess you know how those guys sing well convert it into screaming maybe... 'MAAHA!' 'YUH!' i dunno it's allright i think, take it as an elviseffect on your heavy metal voice ;-) it should work (if not, blame elvis)

kingfreddys
08-04-2004, 01:00 PM
thanks guys, i'll take all of the your advice and see what works best for me, except for the douche bags that aren't open minded enough to understand the brilliance and difference in most emocore bands

Sparx
08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Yo, I've been practicing a lot for screaming, 10x to Merkaba-1, and reached some kind of level, maybe I'll letter put a sample of my screaming somewhere in the net so you can tell me what my problems are, coz it really sounds wack in the end of the scream. I mean, it gets some rasp, and in the end, just the falsetto stays and it sounds retarded.
By the way has any of you heard about Jimmy Urine (Mindless Self Indulgence)? He has great technique in singing in falsetto, he sings just like a little girl. I've been practicing a lot to reach his range of notes, and I some really nice results.

the_only_singer
08-30-2004, 04:51 PM
but it all sounds the same. i'm sorry but it just does. let's not forget that every emo band looks exactly the same, and have an identical line up too.

You arent even paying attention to anything anyone is saying. Shutup with the emo thing. No one but you was even talking about Emo.

Gremlin
08-31-2004, 12:08 AM
since when was all screaming an Emo thing BassMan182? (One can only guess what the 182 stands for)

So Six Feet Under, Chimaira, Evergreen Terrace, As I Lay Dying, Machine Head, Mudvayne, Slipknot, 40 Below Summer, Pantera, Killswitch Engage....these are emo bands?
It doesn't all sound the same, you're just ignorant.

poetic_tragedy
08-31-2004, 01:03 AM
^ exactly

LeDbOx
09-01-2004, 10:28 PM
how do i keep the clarity in my voice after ive been screaming for 2 hours. usually after i scream/sing for 10-15min i get enough mucus worked up to coat my throat (im a very deep singer bass2 and i scream deep so mucus helps me where as it wouldnt help a falsetto singer). i dont play 2 hour shows its just my retarded guitarist who can get one take right when were recording and we have to do 30 takes at one song. anyways how do i prolong the time i can effectivley scream?

bloodclotsandblackholes
09-01-2004, 11:36 PM
ok i have a question... so im a female and ive been trying to teach myself to scream but i wanted to know if there is any special technique or anything for girls? (because obviously the male vocal chords and voice box is lower and different.) i havent had any real problems with teaching myself, i just would like to know about this if anyone has any answers.

Merkaba
09-02-2004, 04:56 AM
how do i keep the clarity in my voice after ive been screaming for 2 hours. usually after i scream/sing for 10-15min i get enough mucus worked up to coat my throat (im a very deep singer bass2 and i scream deep so mucus helps me where as it wouldnt help a falsetto singer). i dont play 2 hour shows its just my retarded guitarist who can get one take right when were recording and we have to do 30 takes at one song. anyways how do i prolong the time i can effectivley scream?
low frequency thick corded screaming for two hours? consider yourself lucky!

btw, the mucous comes because its trying to protect the damage that youre doing. remember that.

Merkaba
09-02-2004, 05:00 AM
ok i have a question... so im a female and ive been trying to teach myself to scream but i wanted to know if there is any special technique or anything for girls? (because obviously the male vocal chords and voice box is lower and different.) i havent had any real problems with teaching myself, i just would like to know about this if anyone has any answers.

There is no difference.

Whittal
09-20-2004, 11:44 AM
i have only recently started to scream. But i find the best way to be able to scream for long periods of time is to scream inwards. Now it may sound kinda weird but try it. You breathe in but limit it untill you make a "creaking noise" now do it faster and it starts to become a scream. Now do it louder and start prounouncing words. Its works for me and i can do it for about 3 hours straight with slightly sore throat the next morning.

Very good for long screams deep/high and even middle range screams. Prounounciation is difficult at first though. But still good for general "growling"

BassMan182
09-20-2004, 03:33 PM
since when was all screaming an Emo thing BassMan182? (One can only guess what the 182 stands for)

So Six Feet Under, Chimaira, Evergreen Terrace, As I Lay Dying, Machine Head, Mudvayne, Slipknot, 40 Below Summer, Pantera, Killswitch Engage....these are emo bands?
It doesn't all sound the same, you're just ignorant.

yea, you're up to date. that music has something in common - it's all sh*te

blahr
12-28-2004, 02:51 AM
man i think you have too much time on your hands, why are you flaming on screaming boards when you hate screaming? If you don't like it then go read something you're actually interested in...

Itwasthatwas
12-28-2004, 10:34 AM

This coming from a Blink 182 fan? You listen to 182 and then diss people for listening to music that actually takes skill? Why don't you take your fuc.king namesake band and tell them to stop being such useless pieces of shi.t and actually sing without fuc.king proccessors? There's one thing all that music has in common... everyone of those bands has a level of skill far beyond the useless corporate regurgitated bullsh.it of Blink 182. Go to hell.

KKKKKocaine
12-28-2004, 03:07 PM

Oh I thought we got over this in a classifieds thread when I ripped you a new talkbox on the subject?
What you just said is subjective opinion, it has no more weight in actual society, in the same manner that my personal opinion on fruit doesn't effect anything at all.
Your logic is that opinion must mean truth, thus if I say Blink182 are shite, then by your logic it is true and is a fact that you cannot refute.
You lose.

TheOneThatBleeds
12-28-2004, 07:34 PM
i think screaming is sexy and makes my underwear all wet. i just love thinkin of sexy screaming men (and women). ahhh man i just sullied myself.

NITROvengeance
03-23-2005, 10:07 PM
I cant believe some of these idiots. These people listen to mindless pop sh*t like Blink 182 (thank god they broke up) and then say screaming is for talentless bands? tell me whose more talented... blink or the dillenger escape plan? do these people have brains in their heads. Screaming is one of the most moving and meaningful things you can do in a song. It gives songs power and feeling when neccesary. Even in predominantly singing bands it works very well to add feeling. Just listen to just about any Underoath or Saosin song and you will know what i mean.

Blink or Dillenger

hmmmmmmmmm tough one

wait i got it! lets use the same 3 chords and write an album!

Romanticide
03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
there are tons of people that can scream and sing that have ****loads of talent. generalization's a bitch.

i agree...
there are plenty of great musicians out ther who scream..and funnily enough, they are actually talented.

Cramboli
03-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I can say that to sing is to sing and to scream is to scream but to sing and scream at the same time and make it sound decent and understandable is the hard part and all of the people that are trying to catogorize everything int o a few catagories have no ****In clue what the hell there talking about and even if they do its your own opinion on if it sucks or not just because someone screams in there songs doesn't make them crappy because they have a better talent then complaining. Tripp rests his cases...

Alustle
04-01-2005, 05:16 AM
I've been screaming since like last november and find I can do it pretty easily and it sounds pretty good. There is one problem , however , as I find myself getting better at screaming I find myself becoming worse at normal signing and in my band I do both. Is there anything I can do or is it a fact that as one improves the other gets worse?

AG
04-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Man, this thread...

It makes me smile how one person can be so confident but so hideoulsy incorrect at the same time.

BassMan182
04-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh I thought we got over this in a classifieds thread when I ripped you a new talkbox on the subject?
What you just said is subjective opinion, it has no more weight in actual society, in the same manner that my personal opinion on fruit doesn't effect anything at all.
Your logic is that opinion must mean truth, thus if I say Blink182 are shite, then by your logic it is true and is a fact that you cannot refute.
You lose.

sure it's true, to you.

my arrogance rules me, so in my eyes you will always be wrong. and i will always be right. simple as. your complete inability to grasp this concept has often muffled my brain somewhat, though.

and whichever idiot it was who said screaming requires no talent - of course it does, dickface. it requires immense vocal skill, but it's still ****e and unoriginal.

it's such a shame that music is ruled these days by horrible bands lead by even worse singers. roll on the new Oasis album...

BassMan182
04-01-2005, 07:45 PM
This coming from a Blink 182 fan? You listen to 182 and then diss people for listening to music that actually takes skill? Why don't you take your fuc.king namesake band and tell them to stop being such useless pieces of shi.t and actually sing without fuc.king proccessors? There's one thing all that music has in common... everyone of those bands has a level of skill far beyond the useless corporate regurgitated bullsh.it of Blink 182. Go to hell.

oh. no. be quiet you little emo nerd. i appreciate more music than your whole family put together.

AG
04-01-2005, 08:20 PM
it's such a shame that music is ruled these days by horrible bands lead by even worse singers. roll on the new Oasis album...

The Gallaghers are good singers now?

:amaze:

BassMan182
04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
noel is, but he is far from great.

Merkaba
04-02-2005, 02:34 AM
I've been screaming since like last november and find I can do it pretty easily and it sounds pretty good. There is one problem , however , as I find myself getting better at screaming I find myself becoming worse at normal signing and in my band I do both. Is there anything I can do or is it a fact that as one improves the other gets worse?
You have to work them both. But if youre just overpushing then yes, you're probably going to suffer, but its not a fact that there's a tradeoff...but there could be something you might be doing incorrectly that might be creating this scenario...such as overpushing and/or squeezing up the larynx, improper breath control, etc.

I would suggest you read the voichelp hotline if you havent already. Be sure youre warming up and warming down.

Alustle
04-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Ye man cheers...think I'm gonna get a vocal trainer when my exams are out of the way. Need to get it sorted cause I think I am screwing up my throat a bit....Gets me so frustrated.

stone sour
04-28-2005, 10:04 PM
singing with rasp all the time is in hardcore right? stuff like lamb of god and bleeding through?

Merkaba
04-29-2005, 03:37 AM
^ There's only two ways to scream....the correct way and incorrect way. Both have been covered extensively in these forums..and also in my voicehelp hotline.

PainKiller8191
04-29-2005, 04:20 AM
hey i hate emo too, but what does have to do with screaming...in my band i sing both growl and clean and we play melodic metal and you can't say "don't scream it's cliche"....you could say the same thing about singing cleanly....it's just another way of doing something, like playing bass with a pick or fingetstyle, or playing guitar through a vintage tube distortion or a metal zone, or playing zildjians or istanbuls as a drummer....it's just a matter of taste some people like hearing certain things you can't help it

Merkaba
04-29-2005, 12:11 PM
^ I totally agree!

PDOGG
05-28-2005, 05:01 PM

"its a vocal technique that can convey a certain emotion or idea" - no, it doesn't. it's just been copied so many times over so people can sound like emo bands in the charts. there's nothing emotional about it at all.

You know, you are partly right in many cases. Alot of people who just aren't screamers, scream. It's dumb and sounds crappy. But you know, screaming to convey an emotion DOES exist, and it's something I do.

When my band gets to recording, I'm gonna put something on here showing how freaking angry of a person I am. It shows in my music, and my screaming. I couldn't scream if i was in a happy mood(which Im NOT when im practicing with the guys, I psyche myself out emotionally beforehand to pull it off), believe me I have tried. If you're not an angry, emotional person, don't freakin scream, it's as simple as that. If you are, and REALLY want to scream, follow Merkaba's guidelines(they helped me alot!), and get very angry. If you find that hard to do, you are not a screamer, so just forget about it. No matter how good it "sounds", nobody's gonna feel it(the case with most emo bands). And one more thing, don't scream through every song, even if it is real emotion, it WILL get old, and that's exactly what you don't want it to do. Maybe 8-10% of my vocalism is screaming, tops. Try not to go much over that if you can help it.

(By the way, let me know if you wanna know exactly how I figured out my ideal scream, I'll let you in on it)

Merkaba
05-28-2005, 08:43 PM
8-10 percent? :lol:.... how did you come up with that figure? How do you know its not 11?

I'm just picking at cha! It just seems funny if you actually think about it. But i do get what youre saying and i agree. Just make sure you know what youre doing if youre gonna do angry screaming...for all you noobs! hehe.

PDOGG
05-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Bah, what can I say, sounded right at the time. But yeah, you should try to have a good idea HOW to scream before you actually get angry and do it. That's where all those help threads that you've posted come in handy.

Merkaba
05-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Bah, what can I say, sounded right at the time. But yeah, you should try to have a good idea HOW to scream before you actually get angry and do it. That's where all those help threads that you've posted come in handy.
:lol:...yea..my guess is that youre probably comin' in more around 7-7.2% +/- .003 %

dont hate me...I'm crazy :wave: