PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Flynn
07-23-2004, 08:27 PM
I had to post this. A lot of my old fav bands have sold out and most of the crap I listened to 5-10 years ago just flat out suck now. I bought a CD last year entitled Orchid by Opeth. Lemme tell you...It opened my mind to Music. I listened to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera etc when I was younger, I am talking the early 90's. There are a select few good bands that have been out there forever and havn't sold out. Slayer, Iron Maiden etc. But Opeth...I don't think It's possible. if you havn't heard of them or heard them I suggest Buying ALL of their CD's. The most Intricate band In my opinion. Songs average around 13 minutes...And you just want MORE!!! The first song I heard by Opeth was In Mist She Was Standing. I had goosebumps....Just when I thought There were no good bands out there Opeth rescued me.

Review -
''Originality is a rare commodity in these media-dominated, cynical times, but every now and then a band comes along that produces music of such mind-bending brilliance that only the culturally blind could fail to recognize. Extreme metal, a genre that has produced a high proportion of rock’s most distinctive voices in recent years, may not have as yet fully infiltrated the mainstream, but a major breakthrough seems at hand. The vanguard for that movement is Sweden’s mighty Opeth, the essential metal band of the 21st century, who seventh release, ****ation, tear down the genre’s walls and frees it to be cast in a whole new light.

Opeth began their inexorable rise in Stockholm, way back in the late 80s when the then teenaged Mikael Akerfeldt was asked to contribute bass guitar to a fledgling incarnation of the band by its founder member, David Isberg. Isberg eventually abandoned the band altogether, leaving Akerfeldt both the band’s name and the task of picking up the creative pieces. This he did, eventually recruiting what is now acknowledged as the first, real line-up of the band: Akerfeldt himself on guitar and vocals, Stefan Guteklint on bass guitar, Anders Nordin on drums and Peter Lindgren on guitar.

Even at this early stage, Opeth were developing a sound entirely of their own; a darkly progressive combination of death metal and more subtle, melodic and acoustic elements that manifested itself in lengthy and elaborate songs that exuded imagination, invention and class.

“It all came very naturally,” says Akerfeldt. “We never set out to be different from everyone else. This was just the music we came up with when all our influences came together.”

Unable to afford expensive studio time, the young quartet began to record their rehearsals, treating them as rudimentary demo tapes to distribute among their friends and other intrigued parties. Early in 1993, one of these demo tapes reached the ears of Candlelight Records’ then label boss Lee Barrett, who immediately recognized that there was something special about Opeth and quickly offered the band a three-album deal. Not surprisingly, the band accepted the offer and, after giving Guteklint the boot late in ’93 and replacing him with session bassist Johan De Farfalla, they set about recording their debut album, 1994’s epic and elegant Orchid, which instantly gained the band a cult following. Nearly ten years on, the album still stands up as a remarkably mature and groundbreaking piece of adventurous extremity, with tracks like “Under The Weeping Moon” and “The Twilight Is My Robe” continuing to sound ahead of their time. It was a prodigious debut, indeed.

Eager to capitalize on the minor but promising success of their debut, Opeth travelled to the UK in the Spring of 1995 to perform two gigs, one of which was a large event at London’s Astoria venue that also featured Finnish black metal punks Impaled Nazarene. On their return to Stockholm, the band began writing Morningrise, their sophomore set, which would eventually be recorded in the Spring of 1996. Prior to the album’s release, the band made a second trip to the UK for gigs with Morbid Angel and The Blood Divine. When Morningrise finally emerged later that year, it received a rapturous response from metal fans and critics alike, earning the band countless plaudits and the opportunity to tour Europe with British black metal gods Cradle Of Filth.

By the time the band came to record their third album, only Akerfeldt and Peter Lindgren remained from the line-up that produced Orchid and Morningrise. Between 1996 and 1998, the duo went on the hunt for a suitably skilled rhythm section to compliment their staggering array of monstrous riffs and exquisite melodies.

Mikael Akerfeldt: “Our drummer quit the band after two records and the bass player was kicked out. But we made some adverts for a new drummer, saying ‘We’re going to be a big band. You’d be a fool to miss this. You’re gonna be famous!’ We figured that because we’d put out two albums and they’d both been well received, we’d get lots of replies. But someone had taken down all the adverts.”

That someone turned out to be Uruguayan-born drummer Martin Lopez, who, already a huge fan of Opeth and recently relocated to Sweden, was taking no chances in allowing others a shot at this opportunity. Lopez, formerly the Amon Amarth skinsman, was welcomed into the Opeth fold in 1997 and made his first contribution to the band’s music on their cover of the Iron Maiden classic “Remember Tomorrow.” Aside from the newfound strength of his thunderous drumming, Lopez soon presented another gift to the band in the form of his best friend, Martin Mendez, an enormously talented bassist, who completed the Opeth line-up that remains in tact to this day. The quartet’s first album together, 1998’s My Arms, Your Hearse, with a darker and more aggressive tone than its predecessors, was immediately hailed as another benchmark in extreme metal – the band’s third in a row – compounded their reputation as the genre’s most compelling attraction.

Their contract with Candlelight over, Opeth’s next album, 1999’s Still Life, was snapped up by legendary UK metal label Peaceville. Beautifully produced and without doubt the band’s strongest work yet, it became the most successful of Opeth’s first four releases to date, not least due to Peaceville’s links with Music For Nations Records. When the two labels went their separate ways a year later, Opeth remained with MFN and started work on what would become their first major breakthrough into mainstream territory.

With studio assistance from Steven Wilson, creative mastermind behind eccentric UK proggers Porcupine Tree, the elegiac and breath-taking masterpiece that is Blackwater Park was recorded in Gothenburg in 2000. Released the following year to universal acclaim, the album went on to sell four times as many copies as its predecessor and introduced Opeth to a huge worldwide audience. For only the third time, the band embarked on a major tour, hitting various major rock festivals in Europe and crossing the United States for the first time with the likes of Amorphis and Nevermore.

In a typically obtuse move, arguably designed to confuse the f**k out of audience and record company alike, Opeth decided to follow-up the huge success of Blackwater Park by recording two new albums. Despite the fact that the band had the same amount of time in the studio that they would normally have to record a single album, they emerged from a frankly nightmarish stint in the studio (“Not something we would ever do again. It was a poopty experience!” states Akerfeldt) with the brutal and black-hearted Deliverance album and its astonishingly beautiful companion-piece, ****ation.

The first of these albums again garnered the band fistfuls of positive reviews and won them the 2003 Swedish Grammy Award for Best Rock/Metal Act. Another batch of gigs re-established Opeth as firm favourites on the European live circuit, particularly in the UK where their shows are now routinely sold out. Arguably their heaviest and most intense album to date, Deliverance still contained moments of fragile grace and delicate aural poetry and again showcased the incredible vocal talents of Mikael Akerfeldt: from ethereal whisper to neo-demonic roar, his voice is one of the current metal scene’s most justly revered treasures. And, on the magnificent ****ation, the true beauty of this voice can at last be heard in its full glory.

A startlingly mellow and melodic affair, ****ation provides the brilliant light to the choking darkness of Deliverance. Influenced by the progressive and classic rock sounds of the 1970s, but executed with true 21st century spirit and finesse, it is perhaps their most groundbreaking effort to date. Eschewing the crushing riffs of their previous six albums, these heavenly lullabies are as gorgeous and affecting as anything in rock’s illustrious past. With more live shows – including some special shows focusing on the mellow side of their back catalogue – Opeth look set to conquer the world all over again in 2003. Be prepared to be completely swept away.'' -Music Emissions

"Through the eternal flame I travel...As the rain keeps falling" - Mikael Akerfeldt.

Edit: NO DRAMA!

prsinthismutha
07-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Black Sabbath.....they created the genre, if it weren't for them there would be no opeth, because all the bands that inspired opeth would not exsist in their entity either

Mekkalayakay
07-23-2004, 08:32 PM
So I'm guessing this is a thread dedicated to Opeth? Nice. I only own Damnation, and it is amazing. The songs are written amazingly and Akerfeldt is one of my favorite vocalists. They are simply a brilliant band.

I simply could not choose my favorite metal band. Too hard.

Also, this thread has been done many times before, but not like how you've done it. We aren't really supposed to make threads this broad, but I think this one stands out a bit since you explained yours so well.

elmnopman
07-23-2004, 08:54 PM
I had to post this. A lot of my old fav bands have sold out and most of the crap I listened to 5-10 years ago just flat out suck now. I bought a CD last year entitled Orchid by Opeth. Lemme tell you...It opened my mind to Music. I listened to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera etc when I was younger, I am talking the early 90's. There are a select few good bands that have been out there forever and havn't sold out. Slayer, Iron Maiden etc. But Opeth...I don't think It's possible. if you havn't heard of them or heard them I suggest Buying ALL of their CD's. The most Intricate band In my opinion. Songs average around 13 minutes...And you just want MORE!!! The first song I heard by Opeth was In Mist She Was Standing. I had goosebumps....Just when I thought There were no good bands out there Opeth rescued me. Tell me what your Favourite Metal Band is and why.

Opeth has no Genre. They are Opeth :thumb:

"Through the eternal flame I travel...As the rain keeps falling" - Mikael Akerfeldt.
definatly my favorite line, i love that song.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah I agree. I shouldn't of posted this it's a Cliche'. lol
But..in the turn of events, Black Sabbath did start metal. I can't argue that. I am talking OLD Black Sabbath...They started the Twin lead thing and the famous E, D, C chord progression. Metallica copied a lot of their styles and a lot of other songs they didn't even write.

"Granted you a hollow stare, another soul within the divine herd..." -Opeth(Black Rose Immortal)

black_sabbath634
07-23-2004, 09:02 PM
ive heard of opeth, but i havent really heard their songs, i 2 think that there are no more good bands out there, could you tell me some good songs to download?

NJMetalMeister
07-23-2004, 09:05 PM
A good introduction to what opeth sounds like overall is Godhead's Lament. It really shows both their soft and their heavy side very well. The Drapery Falls is another song that comes to mind right away when you think of opeth. Some opeth might be a hard listen the first time around, what with their ultra long songs and all. But overall those two songs in particular are pretty easy to stomach the first time around as an introduction

Everything_and_Nothing_3:15
07-23-2004, 09:05 PM
There is no one "best" metal band of all time.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:19 PM
When I say "Best" I mean Opinions. Opeth Is my "Best" Always will be.

If you never heard Opeth before I will give a list of songs to DL.

Black Rose Immortal :thumb:
To Bid You Farewell
The Twilight Is My Robe
When
Credence
Face of Melinda
The Moor :D
Still Day Beneath The Sun
Advent
The Night And The Silent Water
In Mist She Was Standing :D
The Apostle In Triumph
Hope Leaves
The Masters Apprentices
Bleak :thumb:
Serenity Painted Death :evil:
April Ethereal
Demon Of The Fall

:Note: These tracks are in no order of Importance or favor.
Except Black Rose Immortal :)

Antares
07-23-2004, 09:25 PM
I just started getting into Opeth a couple days ago. I bought Blackwater Park and have listened to it probably 10 times through already. I am, quite simply, amazed. Never before have I heard such a perfect mesh of instruments and vocals. They also have some of the most downright addictive riffs I've ever heard.

Needless to say I will be buying the rest of their albums soon.

irbsk8ing
07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Black Sabbath.....they created the genre, if it weren't for them there would be no opeth, because all the bands that inspired opeth would not exsist in their entity either

i agree :thumb:

NJMetalMeister
07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
You know what's even better than opeth on cd? opeth live. Well, opeth live when they arent playing damnation songs. That just becomes a total snoozefest

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:29 PM
I love you :p
If you only heard Blackwater Park you are going to be amazed in the recordings of Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms. Your Hearse. Black Rose Immortal is simply the best Song I have ever heard on an album. I am 26 and have over 6000 songs...And Opeth is No. 1 to me =)

:Post Script: Yes, I am obsessed.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Omg! I know I seen them in MN. Mikael said One sentence the whole concert that wasn't Song related..."We are Opeth"
lol

Antares
07-23-2004, 09:32 PM
I love you :p
If you only heard Blackwater Park you are going to be amazed in the recordings of Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms. Your Hearse. Black Rose Immortal is simply the best Song I have ever heard on an album. I am 26 and have over 6000 songs...And Opeth is No. 1 to me =)

:Post Script: Yes, I am obsessed.

Any recommendations for the next cd I should get? I was thinking about Still Life because I heard that was good.

NJMetalMeister
07-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Omg! I know I seen them in MN. Mikael said One sentence the whole concert that wasn't Song related..."We are Opeth"
lol

Then you missed out, he likes to BS with the crowd around here. He has a very sarcastic sense of humor, and very hilarious comebacks to stuff yelled at him.

NJMetalMeister
07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Any recommendations for the next cd I should get? I was thinking about Still Life because I heard that was good.

Still Life is their best album IMHO

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:37 PM
ohhhhh dude, He was sick and still played when I went to see him, He said he was sick or something and took some pills, Then said "We are Opeth". I had goosebumps on my ****.Yeah the place I went to see them only had aroubnd 200- 300 people...i was up front and was yelling "BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL!!!!" like a moron...I was Drunk dude to the affect I was at Opeth. I can't explain how that felt dude....That concert is Number 1 to me . I went to 6 ozzfests and countless other Concerts.
I usually hit about 5 concerts a year but that Opeth Concert on Feb 18th...omfg. They made Devildriver look like Prince.

I would get Morningrise instead of still life. It's better to get into their OLDER stuff before moving on. :thumb:

Antares
07-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Well if I'm going to start with their older stuff, why not start at Orchid and work my way up?

Kaden
I love Opeth so much. I only have the last two albums, and select songs off Blackwater Park, and they're already one of my favorites. I plan on getting Morningrise as soon as I get my next paycheck. I have a Blackwater Park tour shirt so people think I'm cool enough to attend concerts...when I obviously am not....

Flynn
Still life is great though

"White Faced haggard grin this serenity painted death....With a halo of bitter disease a black paragon of lingering breath!!!!!!!!!!! yeahh!!!!!!!!"

mexicanfloydian
07-23-2004, 09:40 PM

To Bid You Farewell
The Twilight Is My Robe
When
Credence
Face of Melinda
Advent
The Apostle In Triumph
Hope Leaves
The Masters Apprentices
April Ethereal
Demon Of The Fall

You forgot about Harvest, I love the chorus of that song, specially for the way he sings.

Change the title of your thread, cause this is a good thread. When I read the title I was just gonna tell superpeer to close this. But I bothered to read what you posted, it was really nice. Just change the title, or maybe he'll close it.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Yes. Orchid. Thats the first CD I ever heard by them, It was like a couple years ago. Yes Orchid. I said Morningrise cause most of the material was written during orchid and I want you to hear Black Rose Immortal. lol :wave:

Yeah Get Orchid.
In Mist She Was Standing is badass!

"Arrival! I saw her standing in the darkness, awaiting me like the night awaits the day!"

Kaden
07-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Question: is In Mist She Was Standing a soft song?

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:44 PM
At times. It's beautiful.

Kaden
07-23-2004, 09:45 PM
I love you Flynn. You're my new MX buddy. could you post your MSN/AIM address here?

Just go to your original post and click "edit post" and then edit what the title is.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Why should I change it? I am simply expressing the 1st amendment. Opeth is my Favorite band :)
I want to know what you think as far as Top Notch Band goes.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Hell yeah Kaden =)
Do you play SOCOM at all Kaden?

Kaden
07-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Hell yeah Kaden =)
Do you play SOCOM at all Kaden?
Nope.

mexicanfloydian
07-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Because "the best (insert word) " threads are not allowed.
So if a mod see the title, he may close the thread.

Six String Fiend
07-23-2004, 09:57 PM
OPeth is good, but Dream Theater is the best metal band, they are simply just one of the best bands ever.

Kaden
07-23-2004, 10:00 PM
OPeth is good, but Dream Theater is the best metal band, they are simply just one of the best bands ever.
I agree. Opeth is definitely one of my favorites, but Dream Theater holds the top spot.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 10:08 PM
mexicanfloydian How Do I change it then?

xdeadtomorrowx
07-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Death has got to be the best metal band of all time. They set the standard for all death metal and metal influenced by it.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 10:46 PM
oooooohhhh
****, nice. I don't know....Napalm Death has been around for a while. :evil:

Flynn
07-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Skycamefalling isn't a bad band at all. I like them, They ok :thumb:

xdeadtomorrowx
07-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Napalm Death = partial creators of Grind along with Carcass[I think it was Carcass]

So thats what they are for. Death = Death Metal Gods. At The Gates = Swedish Death Metal Gods. \m/

xdeadtomorrowx
07-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Skycamefalling isn't a bad band at all. I like them, They ok :thumb:

I LOVE skycamefalling. One of my favorite bands besides Misery Signals, Glass Casket, and On Broken Wings.

Yup, I'm a metalcore maniac. I like me some heavy chug-chug-chug breakdowns even if they do sound the same I don't care I love it anyway.

NJMetalMeister
07-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Yes it was carcass, and Death are responsible for about 80% of the metal around today. Chuck influenced just about every genre of metal in some way or another, the man was brilliant.

xdeadtomorrowx
07-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Yes it was carcass, and Death are responsible for about 80% of the metal around today. Chuck influenced just about every genre of metal in some way or another, the man was brilliant.

Yes, he was. Too bad he died of throat cancer[yet again, unsure but I think I'm right about this one]

I really enjoy The Sound Of Preservance a lot. Especially the song Spirit Crusher, maybe its because it's the funnest song to play on bass. It's so awesome.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 10:55 PM
If you like Skycamefalling you might like Haste The Day. They aren't bad at all. I like Burning Bridges, It's very Original I think. They are ok :thumb: Many Waters is a badass song by HtD, and Breaking my own heart. Kinda short though....5 minutes a song? wtf is that lol

I lament this heritage
Cannot bid farewell
The pale face...you went as far as you could
And from that moment
I witnessed your beauty, fealt your death
Mine is yours, mine is yours
In the wake of dawn
The mist of morning linger before it leaves

Invisible eyes, red reflection
It is you
Smiling in the midst of the moor

NJMetalMeister
07-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Yes, he was. Too bad he died of throat cancer[yet again, unsure but I think I'm right about this one]

I really enjoy The Sound Of Preservance a lot. Especially the song Spirit Crusher, maybe its because it's the funnest song to play on bass. It's so awesome.

It was a brain tumor if you want to get technical about it, The sound of Perserverance is a great album, but IMO Individual Thought Patterns was the best. As awesome of a drummer as Christy is, Hoglan is supreme, and Steve Digiorgio on bass didn't hurt much either :thumb:

xdeadtomorrowx
07-23-2004, 11:00 PM
If you like Skycamefalling you might like Haste The Day. They aren't bad at all. I like Burning Bridges, It's very Original I think. They are ok :thumb: Many Waters is a badass song by HtD, and Breaking my own heart. Kinda short though....5 minutes a song? wtf is that lol

I lament this heritage
Cannot bid farewell
And from that moment
In the wake of dawn

It is you

Yeah, I've heard of HtD. I have both albums. They are good. I've heard of every metalcore band out now, so yeah. I'm not lying either, I even know local bands in some areas. Because I'm so hungry for metalcore 24/7.

Flynn
07-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Nice
I am in search of same thing bro
Since I discovered Opeth, I kinda in IDLE atm lol

Kaden
07-23-2004, 11:10 PM
HTD is from my area. I've seen them live recently.

mexicanfloydian
07-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Flynn, I was in other threads, that explains why it took me so long to answer.

What Kaden said :Just go to your original post and click "edit post" and then edit what the title is.

By the way, six string fiend, DT is also my fav metal band.

Merker
07-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Iron Maiden of course!

Flynn
07-24-2004, 01:51 PM
I love you Flynn. You're my new MX buddy. could you post your MSN/AIM address here?

Thanx bro :cool:
I don't use AIM at all.

ATC
07-24-2004, 02:06 PM
opeth rules..they are definitely among the top 3 bands of all time
harvest was my all time favorite song for quite a long time..i reckon blackwater park changed the face of metal..though i like the hearse album too..and the double album dam'nation n deliverance.
i ll stop drooling now.
kthnx

Flynn
07-24-2004, 02:10 PM
opeth rules..they are definitely among the top 3 bands of all time
harvest was my all time favorite song for quite a long time..i reckon blackwater park changed the face of metal..though i like the hearse album too..and the double album dam'nation n deliverance.
i ll stop drooling now.
kthnx

Hell Yeah bro :thumb: I like all Opeth, Some of the most Eeriest Riffs I have ever heard are on the Still Life LP.

White faced Haggard grin this serenity painted death
With a halo of bitter disease a black paragon in lingering breath
Serenity Painted Death - Opeth (Still Life)

Machines
07-24-2004, 02:39 PM
I have all the albums, the DVD, and have seen them live, plus make it my task to learn as much of their music as possible (both guitar and bass).

:thumb:

Flynn
07-24-2004, 02:43 PM
I have all the albums, the DVD, and have seen them live, plus make it my task to learn as much of their music as possible (both guitar and bass).

:thumb:

Hell yeah. I can play most of the morningrise CD and some of Orchid. I am still trying to play the Intro to The Apostle In Triumph but I can't get the right sound. I might need a MARTIN for that one lol. But yes their music is very intricate and uplifting as well. I like playing in Mist She Was Standing, I have a pedal that records so I record All the lower guitar parts then play over them in Real Time. It's a great Feeling :cool:

Devotion eludes
And in sadness I lumber
In my own ashes I am standing without a soul
She wept and whispered: "I know..."

Distorted Vision
07-24-2004, 03:08 PM
^ Ahh, I adore the lyrics to To Bid You Farewell.

Good to see someone as mad about Opeth as you, man. They too are one of my favourite bands. Mikael is a genius, no band has affected me like they have since I think I bought my first metal record (Metallica by the way ;) ). And it's quite amazing how consistent they've been throughout all their albums, from Orchid to ****ation.

My favourites are Blackwater Park and Morningrise though, with Still Life up there two. I know there's a lot of guys like you who swear by the old stuff (up to MAYH) as the best, but as much as I love those songs, my favourite Opeth track of all is Blackwater Park. The riff that builds up around 5:10 is one of the most striking moments I've had in music, it knocks me out every single time.

I think you'll find quite a few here who share your love. :thumb:

Flynn
07-24-2004, 03:21 PM
^ Ahh, I adore the lyrics to To Bid You Farewell.

Good to see someone as mad about Opeth as you, man. They too are one of my favourite bands. Mikael is a genius, no band has affected me like they have since I think I bought my first metal record (Metallica by the way ;) ). And it's quite amazing how consistent they've been throughout all their albums, from Orchid to ****ation.

My favourites are Blackwater Park and Morningrise though, with Still Life up there two. I know there's a lot of guys like you who swear by the old stuff (up to MAYH) as the best, but as much as I love those songs, my favourite Opeth track of all is Blackwater Park. The riff that builds up around 5:10 is one of the most striking moments I've had in music, it knocks me out every single time.

I think you'll find quite a few here who share your love. :thumb:

:D Lotta love bro. Yes They are madly Deep. The first Record I ever bought was master of Puppets back in like 1990...I remember this dude at scool, he showed me the CD cover and I went out and bought the tape. I can't talk bad about Metallica fo I was obsessed with them for years. I play all their riffs on guitar for years. Every song from Kill em all - to AJFA. They actually made my guitar playing. I have been playing for 11 years now, Trying to get another Drummer. Anyway...WHat I am trying to say is, they kinda wore me out ya know? Since Load Reload I been looking for something more. And I discovered Opeth. A lot of Death Metal bands try to Scream, Then Sing, but Mikael has this, eerie vibe to his voice. My favorite song By Opeth is Black Rose Immortal by a Landslide. Which is still Number 1 on my List. I listened to that song 178 times on my Windows Media Player alone lol. Not to mention I listen to it every Day I am at work. Good to see people that enjoy Opeth here :D

Over troubled waters memories soar
Endlessly, searching night and day
The moonlight caresses a lonely hill
With the calmness of a whisper

I wear a naked soul
A black face in the streaming water

Distorted Vision
07-24-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm finding the same thing with Metallica. Actually, it's been like that for quite a while. I saw them live in November and it was incredible, but, for example, I haven't listened to KEA in many months. I think I just got bored after 3 years of Metallica every day, plus I was more into Dream Theater, but now even they're wearing off a little as my horizons expand further, lately with bands like Mr Bungle, Pain Of Salvation and Spock's Beard. But actually, I put on S&M today and the magic was still there. I'm expecting a rediscovering of them some time soon.

But this is an Opeth thread, so let me just say that as well as being a terrific poet, Mikael's voice just bring the beauty to life. Even his growl is one of the most polished I've heard in death metal, and it's amazing the way he just switches like a man possessed from sweet singing to furious growling so easily. And he says he doesn't think he has a very good voice. :rolleyes:

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Opeth ****ing own..thats all u need to know..
first album i got was Blackwater Park..but Orchid changed my views on music..i never knew there were bands making 10 minute masterpieces on every song on an album..wish i could have got into them sooner..more people need to realise the talent they have..and they can pull it off live..the DVD is great..Mikael is one of my favourite frontmen

Flynn
07-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Yes, you know why? Some of the greatest artists of all time always put themselves down to bring them up. I am glad he is like that. If he was arrogant i wouldn't like Opeth as much. But yes his growl doesn't sound Choppy or Demonic, Just Sad/ Angry. His songs are like Movie stories if that makes sense. Wow I love them. I can't stress that enough. Yes I am obsessed. The first song I listened to was In Mist She Was Standing and the Outro gave me goosebumps till the song was over. You know that Acoustic riff right before the D, C, A^ riff? Yeah that riff. None of their Albums sound the same. They are going to revolutionize Music.

I lament this heritage
Cannot bid farewell
And from that moment
In the wake of dawn

It is you

Flynn
07-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Opeth ****ing own..thats all u need to know..
first album i got was Blackwater Park..but Orchid changed my views on music..i never knew there were bands making 10 minute masterpieces on every song on an album..wish i could have got into them sooner..more people need to realise the talent they have

:D

Same here. Since they Hail from Sweden, It's hard to find out about them. I live in Iowa so you can just about immagine lol. just think of all the bands out there that aren't signed...

Distorted Vision
07-24-2004, 03:49 PM
None of their Albums sound the same. They are going to revolutionize Music.

Well, they're already gaining quite a lot of popularity in metal circles, so they will get bigger in the future. An album like Damnation will also bring them wider appeal, maybe even to some 'MTV metal' kids....

.... just a shame for them, then, that Mikael said he wants the next album to go back to black metal! :lol:

Flynn
07-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Hell yeah! I can't wait. He is writing at the moment, New Album 1st Quarter 2005. I wonder what it's going to sound like? It's going to be good either way. Have you ever heard of the band Fragments of Unbecoming? I bought the CD entitled Skywards: A Sylphe's Ascension a couple weeks ago and it ****ing owns! I suggest you buy it if you havn't heard it.

Song tracks are:

Up from the Blackest of Soil (Ascension Theme)
The Seventh Sunray Enlights My Pathway
Shapes Of The Pursuers
Skywards/A Sylphe's Ascension
Mesmerized
Entangled Whispers In The Depth
Scattered To the Four Winds
On A Scars Edge To Infinity
Lour Pulse
Fear My Hatred
Insane Chaosphere
Lifes Last Embers (Farewell Theme)

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Question: is In Mist She Was Standing a soft song?

Most of their songs start off heavy..or vice versa..and since they are quite long..they have lots of moments of beauty and aggression..its like a trip :thumb: ..u dont kno what direction the song will go in next

Janus
07-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Hell yeah! I can't wait. He is writing at the moment, New Album 1st Quarter 2005. I wonder what it's going to sound like? It's going to be good either way. Have you ever heard of the band Fragments of Unbecoming? I bought the CD entitled Skywards: A Sylphe's Ascension a couple weeks ago and it ****ing owns! I suggest you buy it if you havn't heard it.

Song tracks are:

Up from the Blackest of Soil (Ascension Theme)
The Seventh Sunray Enlights My Pathway
Shapes Of The Pursuers
Skywards/A Sylphe's Ascension
Mesmerized
Entangled Whispers In The Depth
Scattered To the Four Winds
On A Scars Edge To Infinity
Lour Pulse
Fear My Hatred
Insane Chaosphere
Lifes Last Embers (Farewell Theme)

You are my new MX buddy. You're the first person who's mentioned that band. They fucking own. Good work. :thumb:

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:04 PM
I have mentioned fragments of unbecoming before, why can't i be your mx buddy :( hahahaha, it is a good cd though

Janus
07-24-2004, 04:05 PM
You can be my MX buddy too. They are an amazing band.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:06 PM
:) I can't remember how the hell I found them, I was looking at some Trivium and something else, Borknagar I think, and that CD came up on Amazon. I listened to 30 seconds of Seventh Sunray.... and went out and bought it.

Great CD! It will never get old....btw Where the hell can I get the Lyrics to it? I have been trying for WEEKS!!!!!!

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:06 PM
lyrics: www.darklyrics.com should have it

Janus
07-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Trivium, another amazing band! :D You score another point. Good job. Those two bands are really underrated.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:08 PM
I tried that. Nope. I read that the Lyrics are very personal to the Lead Singer. I think he's from Venereal Disease.

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 04:08 PM
sounds good..gonna check them out :thumb:

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Well i guess your only other option is to listen really carefully to the songs and try and figure it out haha

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Trivium, another amazing band! :D You score another point. Good job. Those two bands are really underrated.

Yes great CD, I can't believe the Lead singer is 16!!!!! wow I bet I can stump you. This CD I am about to mention is really good. No one i have talked to even knows who they are. They are called Scar Culture the CD is entitled Inscribe. I love every song on that CD. Great underground band. Worth every penney :cool:

I lament this heritage
Cannot bid farewell
And from that moment
In the wake of dawn

It is you

Janus
07-24-2004, 04:12 PM
:eek: I didn't know their singer was 16.

Check out a band called Fear My Thoughts, if you can. They are sort of like Trivium and FOU.

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Yes great CD, I can't believe the Lead singer is 16!!!!! wow I bet I can stump you. This CD I am about to mention is really good. No one i have talked to even knows who they are. They are called Scar Culture the CD is entitled Inscribe. I love every song on that CD. Great underground band. Worth every penney :cool:

My friend was supposed to try out for vocals for scar culture about a year ago, it never ended up working out, but i did see them at the NJ metal and hardcore fest last november, good stuff :thumb:

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah he's 16. I saw it on the artist facts on Music Choice channel 816. They are Influenced by Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer :thumb:

You never heard of Scar Culture?

Scattered to the four winds we are
Scattered ... we are!!!!

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:15 PM
My friend was supposed to try out for vocals for scar culture about a year ago, it never ended up working out, but i did see them at the NJ metal and hardcore fest last november, good stuff :thumb:

Hell yes. I love that entire CD ;)

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:17 PM
I would like to also mention that the Singer/guitarist of trivium's other band, Capharnaum, is much better than Trivium, in my opinion

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:22 PM
We are working on some stuff now, need to find a drummer and prolly another lead singer, It's hard to find a good singer. I like the death growl and Singing. And both simult. We are called Scarred and Scared. I am tempted to move to Sweden to get things going there lol. We have 14 songs so far. Only about 10 will fit on a CD though :upset:

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:24 PM
start small, start with like 4-6 song demos. If you can be short and to the point with what you have when you send the demo to record labels they will be more interested in listening to it. You have to realize that any label is getting hundreds of demos a week probably, they aren't going to have the time to sit down and listen to a full 74 minute cd. They will probably put on the first song (if they even put the cd on) and decide within 3 minutes whether to keep listening or whether to stop. its like the old acronym KISS: keep it simple stupid. After being in quite a few bands, the way to go is to stick to 4-6 songs maximum on a demo.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Trust me, we got signed by Wildcat Productions here in town...it was a fluke. We have 14 songs already ready to go. Needs polished though. It's hard to get my other guitarist to play what I wrote, I have the perfect concept of this LP and need their support.

ambush
07-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Best band ever, and possibly the best band there ever will be IMO. If only I could listen to them for the first time again.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:34 PM
I know. I listened to Black Rose Immortal like 278 times on my Media PLayer. I can play pretty much all of the rythm parts, still working on solo. The part that confuses me is the Acoustic part before "Sunbirds leave their dark recesses, Shadows glid the archways" It's impossible to play and get the exact same sound. Some parts are blurry, I think it's 3 different Tracks.
That makes the song.

Lullaby of the crescent moon, took you
Mesmerized, its kaleidoscopic face.

Granted you a hollow stare.
Another soul within the divine herd.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:35 PM
OPETH - BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL

In the name of desperation
I call your name
A lamentation I sigh
Again and again

Spiritual eclipse
The gateways are closed for me to seek

In The The night...A veil of stars, watching
My shadow is born from light
The light of the eye, in darkness

Over troubled waters memories soar
Endlessly, searching night and day
The moonlight caresses a lonely hill
With the calmness of a whisper

I wear a naked soul
A black face in the streaming water

It is cold in here
Frost scar my coat with dust

Eyes attach to your mute portrait
We spoke only through thoughts
Together we gazed, awaited
Hours brought thirst and the rising sun

Sunbirds leave their dark recesses
Shadows glid the archways

Do not turn your face towards me
Confronting me with my lonliness
You are in a forest unknown
The secret orchard
And your voice is vast and achromatic
(Whisper) But still so precious

Lullaby of the crescent moon, took you
Mesmerized, its kaleidoscopic face.

Granted you a hollow stare.
Another soul within the divine herd.

I have kept it
The amaranth symbol
Hiddin inside the golden shrine
Until we rejoice in the mea0.
dow
Of the end
When we both walk the shadow
It will set ablaze and vanish...
...Black rose immortal

It is getting dark again
Dusk shuffle across the fields
The evening trees moan as if they knew
At night I always dream of you...

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah must take ages to write that lol..Mikael is def talented

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:42 PM
He mentions Melinda in 3 songs on Still Life...I am curious who she is and what the concept of that LP was to her.

The Moor ..."Melinda is the reason why I've come."
Serenity Painted Death ..."Melinda reflected in shafts..."
Face of Melinda ...Pretty explanitory lol...

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 04:45 PM
As far as i know Still Life isn't actually based off of anything in particular, it's just a story that Mikael made up and created a whole concept album about. Melinda could just be someone hes friends with and was like "yeah sure i'll use your name" Also, Melinda is a very soft name, so it's very easy to place into a song. It does not have one single hard letter in it. When creating songs about people, places, etc.. it can sometimes be tough using names with hard letters in it, especially if there are going to be more mellow parts on the album.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 04:49 PM
On the Ultimate Metal Forums I heard it was Mikael's friends girlfriend. I don't know.

ambush
07-24-2004, 05:02 PM
The whole Still Life CD is about Melinda. The only song that I've actually sat down and analyzed is Godhead's Lament. It's basically about exhuming a body in a cemetary, it's Melinda's body if I remember correctly.

Flynn
07-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Niiiiice :thumb: I hear there are going to be 9 Tracks on the next Opeth Album. You hear anything about that?

ambush
07-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Where'd you hear that?

Flynn
07-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Somewhere on the Ultimate Metal Forums under Opeth of course. It was last week sometime. I bet each track is over 10 minutes. I hope lol :wave:

ambush
07-24-2004, 05:14 PM
It will be recorded sometime in Spring 2005, so my guess on the release date is August 1st, 2005. *taking bets*

Flynn
07-24-2004, 05:16 PM
yeah I heard that. I can't wait! I hope they take their time to make a masterpiece, under a lot of pressure though. It will be tough. :thumb:

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 05:18 PM
On the dvd he says he'd liked to make it more black metal..so heavier and more atmospheric im guessing..but im sure there will still be the mellow beautiful moments as well as aggression

Flynn
07-24-2004, 05:20 PM
I have yet to get the DVD, I have to order it since my town is lame. Is it worth getting?

mexicanfloydian
07-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Hey Flynn, I saw in the tv that opeth released a live dvd.
Is it good ? Do they play their acoustic stuff or only the heavy stuff ?

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 05:30 PM
U wont regret it..seeing Opeth transfer the sound of the albums to a live scenario is amazing...they do it perfectly..lol Mikaels face at the end of the drapery falls..when hes like :D ..u can tell hes in it for the music..i respect that..they feel happy when theyre music is well received..as would anyone..
the documentary thing is very interesting..i really enjoyed watchin it..
there was only 1 thing i was a tiny bit disappointed with..i wish they played some older material..but the songs they played were still mesmerising to watch..
they play 2 sets..1 from ****ation and 1 heavier set with songs from blackwater park and deliverance..1 more thing..i heard they play Demon of the fall at the end of the concert..but it isnt on the dvd..tht sucks..but still..a dvd ive had for a while and never get bored watching it

mexicanfloydian
07-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Sorry flynn, I was in the 3rd page when I wrote my post.

mexicanfloydian
07-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Listy, would you write the set list?
Thanks.

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Windowpane
In My Time of Need
Death Whispered a Lullaby, Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid the Disease
Ending Credits
Harvest
Weakness
Master's Apprentices
The Drapery Falls
Deliverance
The Leper Affinity
A Fair Judgment
Man..the solo for 'A Fair Judgement' is intense.. :D

mexicanfloydian
07-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks. Looks cool, but it is missing some older stuff as you said.

-Listy-
07-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Yea , shame theres no 'Forest of October' or 'April Ethereal' in there, but hey its still good

Some Kid
07-24-2004, 06:20 PM
I started listening to Opeth like a year ago, and I too was impressed just by listening to the first song (if I remember correctly, it was Harvest). You should try listening to The Drapery Falls. That one is, to me, really good. I already have a couple of their cd's. They are one of my favorite bands now.

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 06:21 PM
They did play older stuff at the show, but everything pre-blackwater park is on a different label than their current one, so their current label cut out any songs that they do not have strict control over, this way if someone is just getting into opeth and buys the dvd, they will be more likely to buy only the cds from that label.

As for how many songs will be on the new album? no idea, Mikael usually doesn't write anything until about a week or two before recording. He just sits himself down for like a whole week and bangs out songs. So basically anything you hear about what will be on the new album is all just made up garbage.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 12:13 AM
They did play older stuff at the show, but everything pre-blackwater park is on a different label than their current one, so their current label cut out any songs that they do not have strict control over, this way if someone is just getting into opeth and buys the dvd, they will be more likely to buy only the cds from that label.

As for how many songs will be on the new album? no idea, Mikael usually doesn't write anything until about a week or two before recording. He just sits himself down for like a whole week and bangs out songs. So basically anything you hear about what will be on the new album is all just made up garbage.

Wow. You seem to know a lot about their lifestyle. Are you from Sweden? Do you know Mikael Personally? Are you in the Band?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 12:15 AM
I started listening to Opeth like a year ago, and I too was impressed just by listening to the first song (if I remember correctly, it was Harvest). You should try listening to The Drapery Falls. That one is, to me, really good. I already have a couple of their cd's. They are one of my favorite bands now.

Aye. Blackwater park is a very eerie Album. One of their finest recordings. I like Still Life over BP though. Great CD.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Yea , shame theres no 'Forest of October' or 'April Ethereal' in there, but hey its still good

The forest of October
Sleeps silent when I depart
The web of time
Hides my last trace

RipChuck
07-25-2004, 01:45 AM
I saw that some of yall mentioned Death. It brings me great pleasure to see that Death's talent is still recognized, even though Chuck is now gone. Death was simply unbelievabe, Chuck was essentially the band, since there were so many changes in the line up. The Sound Of Perseverance (TSOP) is an amazing album, the others are great also (Symbolic, Individual Thought Patterns, Human, etc.), but TSOP was a great last album for Death, even though it wasnt planned to be the last album. If your truely into metal and have not heard Death, then I think you are missing out as much as you would be if you havent heard Opeth (maybe more). From a technical stand point the music is genious, and honestly when I heard the TSOP for the first time, i didnt like it to much. I suppose my tastes weren't mature enough, but i had liked the previous album Symbolic. I just bought TSOP last month, and having not listened to it in a very long time, it blew me away when I heard it again. Being in a metal band myself, I can comprehend it so much better now, and be astounded by it on so many more levels. So if you can check out both Death and Opeth, do so. Both bands are extremely talented and original, although very different from each other, IMO, and I dont think that most would disagree.

methodlessman
07-25-2004, 04:04 AM
I don't know if you know, but Music For Nations has closed it doors, and Opeth is searching for a label. Who knows what this will mean for them?

Cardboard Headgear
07-25-2004, 05:07 AM
He mentions Melinda in 3 songs on Still Life...I am curious who she is and what the concept of that LP was to her.

The Moor ..."Melinda is the reason why I've come."
Serenity Painted Death ..."Melinda reflected in shafts..."
Face of Melinda ...Pretty explanitory lol...

Still life is about a guy who was exiled from his village (town, whatever) for holding different religious beliefs than the others. Melinda was his love, and at the beginning of The Moor he arrives back in town 15 years later. At the point Melinda is married to another man (or a nun, disputable), but she still loves him and agrees to run away with him ('the promise is made, but my heart is thine'). At this point the villagers attack (Serenity Painted Death) and kill Melinda right in front of the main character (red line round her neck, eg slit throat). I think the line 'Melinda reflected in shafts' is her reflection in knives or something. The main character goes into a rage and trys to kill as many of them before they take him down. He wakes up the next day in a cell or thereabouts and is taken to the gallows (sp?) to be hung, which is how the album ends.

Distorted Vision
07-25-2004, 05:30 AM
I don't know if you know, but Music For Nations has closed it doors, and Opeth is searching for a label. Who knows what this will mean for them?

Yeah, it says on the website:

''Music For Nations is likely to close their doors within a near future, leaving their roster in the hands of BMG. What will happen to the bands is so far unknown, but it's possible that Opeth will be without a record contract in the near future. This is an effect of the massive merge between Zomba records and BMG.''

Man, I hope they don't have any trouble with the new album. I missed the chance to see them live so it'll suck if they're not recording either.

methodlessman
07-25-2004, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I hope everything goes smooth. I'm also glad to hear that MFN won't have such a grip on Mikeal's balls letting him work with other bands when he wants.

Distorted Vision
07-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Actually, I just looked on Blabbermouth.net:

''Sweden's OPETH are officially free agents as a result of having been dropped by BMG/Zomba after their previous label, Music For Nations, was folded into parent company Zomba Records Group (the world's largest independent music group). The band are looking through new offers at the moment.''

That was Friday's news. I wonder who will sign them. I'd say Century Media are probably favourites, but maybe Nuclear Blast could get them. I just hope they sort out a deal soon.

methodlessman
07-25-2004, 05:48 AM
As long as it ain't Roadrunner. Maybe Warner, Procupine Tree, are on there. I think it would be kool for them to be on a major label. And maybe closer work with Steve Wilson, or the rest of PT? I would like to know what will become of what was recording on MFN, though.

ATC
07-25-2004, 05:49 AM
what are some good songs off still life?
its the only opeth album i dont own..regretfully, my dam'n town does not have that in any music store..i ll have to order it,i guess.

methodlessman
07-25-2004, 05:56 AM
I would suggest, Face Of Melinda and White Cluster.

The Flabbit Rides High
07-25-2004, 07:26 AM
OOH OOH Story Time!!!!

Ok I was Listening to Blackwater Park my mother bought me while in London and after hearing the outro to the title song (you know what Im talking about!) I decided to buy ****ation.

I went to the biggest cd store im my country but alas. Nothing. But the hope still lived.... It was almost like Serenety painted death in dront of me u know?

So I bought it over Amazon...

Three agonizing weeks later, I am awoken by my mother (a Metilda if u will) who in a moment of insanity throws ****ation into my lap.

Im at one.

[/I]All over faces turn away, and sneer at my demise.

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Wow. You seem to know a lot about their lifestyle. Are you from Sweden? Do you know Mikael Personally? Are you in the Band?

Nah i just got really bored one day and read all of Mikael's Journal entries on the Opeth website. :lol:

methodlessman
07-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I read them this morning...

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Nah i just got really bored one day and read all of Mikael's Journal entries on the Opeth website. :lol:

lol :thumb: Yeah thats a great Site. I love it. WHoever made it did an excellent job.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Man, I hope they don't have any trouble with the new album. I missed the chance to see them live so it'll suck if they're not recording either.

I have been to 21 Concerts in my life, I went to see Opeth last Feb the 18th I do believe in Minnesota. Devildriver and Moonspell Opened, Lemme say this, They were ungodly good live, I can't explain it. Perfect sounds for every song they played. As far as Moonspell and Devildriver goes, eh they were ok. Mikael had a cold and still showed up, They opened with The Leper Affinity then after the song he said "I have been under the weather so I took some pills, I hope we sound ok." Everyone went ****ing crazy! Then he played Demon Of The Fall, Without A Flaw. There were maybe 200-300 people there. Very small place it's called the Quest Club. They didn't play Black Rose Immortal though :upset:

And so you left us
Jaded and gaunt, some September
Wilted with the seasons
But hidden inside the delusion
I saw your eyes, somewhere
Devoid of death

Distorted Vision
07-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I would have went to the Shepherd's Bush show (where they filmed the DVD) but I had just got back from holidaying last year and didn't know about it.

And the DVD has just made me want to see them even more. :upset:

Dark Hero
07-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I love Opeth, although I only own Deliverence and ****ation.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Actually, I just looked on Blabbermouth.net:

''Sweden's OPETH are officially free agents as a result of having been dropped by BMG/Zomba after their previous label, Music For Nations, was folded into parent company Zomba Records Group (the world's largest independent music group). The band are looking through new offers at the moment.''

That was Friday's news. I wonder who will sign them. I'd say Century Media are probably favourites, but maybe Nuclear Blast could get them. I just hope they sort out a deal soon.

They should go to Metal Blade. They aren't a bad label at all.

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Metal Blade aren't bad, not at all, but century media will give opeth more creative freedom than metalblade who are under the stronghold of the RIAA, and although metal blade pretty much does let their bands do what they want, they may try to shape opeth into something more mareketable because someone higher up said they must.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Yes. I don't know whats going to happen, hopefully it will be a wise decision. I don't think they want them to sound different, that's the money maker. Being original. New Album is so far away :upset: I just deleted over 4000 songs from my WMP im pissed! :angry: Stupid Spybot...Now...to get them back...

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 01:03 PM
It really does depend heavily on the label they are on. Century Media delt with opeth in the past, and im sure would be very glad to pick them up again. Nuclear blast is okay, but they really wouldn't fit on that label very well. They really couldn't do anything smaller than those two though, it just wouldn't work.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Yes I agree, But I don't see them going to Nuclear Blast, I can Definately see them going to Century Media though. Great Label :thumb:

superpeer
07-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I edited the title, for those who wondered.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 01:35 PM
The title for what?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 02:00 PM
What title did you edit? I didn't like the name of this thread anyways when I made it...I wasn't thinking...Blonde moment.

Distorted Vision
07-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Blonde moment? Don't tell me that's you in your avatar! :p

Flynn
07-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately, yes. I have 2 Pictures of Myself on my CPU, this one and the one on my Profile from my 1996 Graduation in Phoenix.

fukkus
07-25-2004, 02:19 PM
which opeth album shall i add to my bday list? people talk highly

Distorted Vision
07-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Flynn: :amaze: You serious? I kinda expected you to be a . . . . guy, I guess. Don't see many Opeth-loving girls round here at all.

fukkus: Get Blackwater Park if you haven't heard them before, or Morningrise if so.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Orchid[UK]
Morningrise
My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life

This music grows on you like vines.
I wasn't that impressed when I first heard Opeth, but I couldn't get it out of my head!
IMO they rule the music scene :thumb:

Once inside i heard the whispers in the parlour
the killing faces grin
Aware of my final...demise

And I Cried
When she had lied
Her obsession died
It had died

When Can I take you from this place?
When is a word but a sigh?
When is death our lone beholder?
When do we walk the final steps?
When can we scream instead of whisper?
When is the new beginning and the end of this sad madrigal...?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 02:34 PM

How can you even put the 2 in the same sentence? Black Sabbath is good don't get me wrong but, Opeth are from Sweden, plus they sound nothing like Black Sabbath. Their influences were:

Katatonia
Asphyx
Emporer
At The Gates
Ethnocide

Death Metal.

Distorted Vision
07-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Katatonia are a great band, I've just been getting into them. Very mellow.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Viva... is a good LP. Lets play Lyrical Pursuit!

What song is this from? And what band?

I have gone away. The bed is cold and empty.
Trees bend their boughs toward the earth.
And nighttime birds float as black faces.
It was the hand reaching out through the mirror.

guitarist105
07-25-2004, 02:53 PM
I love opeth. I have no albums but 'To bid you farewell' is simply the most beautiful song i have ever heard.

Blck rose immortal hasn't grown on me yet but im sure it will...

Flynn
07-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Definately. That's my fav Opeth song. Black Rose Immortal.

guitarist105
07-25-2004, 03:01 PM
So flynn what album do you reccomend me for a first opeth album?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 03:05 PM
My Arms, Your Hearse. It's got everything you need to start out your Opeth Journey. IMO that is. Credence is very Soft and eerie, and April Ethereal has great Double Kick. Karma has a good interlude and When is the best song on that LP making the Story complete.

-Listy-
07-25-2004, 03:09 PM
I'd say Blackwater Park ..but thats jst my oppinion

metallica bass101 666
07-25-2004, 03:21 PM
ya i would blackwater park one of my fav opeth albums there simply an awesome band

Flynn
07-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Blackwater Park is a great recording. Bleak is one of my top 5 Opeth songs dude to it's complexity. When the bass comes in at around 7 minutes or so it give's me Shivers. I wished they would have played Bleak live. Come to think of it, I think Bleak and Black Rose Immortal have never been played live...I wonder why?

Run away, run away. Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air.
That day came to an end.
And she had lost in me, her Credence

Flynn
07-25-2004, 09:56 PM
I hear that they are getting the old Drummer back...Anyone hear that?

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 10:10 PM
What happened to Lopez then?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
I don't know. I hear they are getting their old drummer from the Orchid/Mornigrise era. You hear that too?

sensitiveorgan00
07-25-2004, 10:12 PM
I hear that they are getting the old Drummer back...Anyone hear that?

Nope, where did you hear that?

By teh way, is that you in your avatar?

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 10:18 PM
I did not hear that at all. And although their first drummer was good, he is no Lopez, that guy is a brilliant drummer. I would be very interested to see where he goes if he is no longer in Opeth.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 10:20 PM
To answer your question yes. I have had a lot of commotion about it. People seem to hate me :upset: A friend told me that their old drummer, God forgive me I can't remember his name, wait, Anders Nordin. yes. He is coming back with Opeth. I can't wait for New Album!!!! YIPPIE! :thumb:

It was me, peering through the looking-glass.
Beyond the embrace of Christ.
Like the secret face within the tapestry.
Like a bird of prey over the crest.
And she was swathed in sorrow, as if born within its mask.
Her candlelight snuffed, the icon smiled.
Emptiness followed by her wake.
I could clasp her in undying love.
Within ghostlike rapture the final word was mine.
She faced me in awe. ´twas a token of ebony colour.

Antares
07-25-2004, 10:29 PM
The mad riffs in The Leper Affinity have been stuck in my head ever since I bought Blackwater Park a couple days ago. I can't get over how awesome it is. Right now it's my favorite song from the album, by far.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Black Rose Immortal has been stuck in my head for months now...It's just one of those things.

It was me, peering through the looking-glass.
Beyond the embrace of Christ.
Like the secret face within the tapestry.
Like a bird of prey over the crest.
And she was swathed in sorrow, as if born within its mask.
Her candlelight snuffed, the icon smiled.
Emptiness followed by her wake.
I could clasp her in undying love.
Within ghostlike rapture the final word was mine.
She faced me in awe. ´twas a token of ebony colour. - April Ethereal

IvortheEngineDriver
07-25-2004, 10:34 PM
I believe the move to get the new drummer is to replace Lopez until he recovers...remember, they had to cancel gigs in South America and (I believe) the Israel/Jordan gigs because of his mental health. I'm sure its just a fill in until he regains his mental health...I think Lopez is a very talented musician probably the 2nd most underrated (I believe Peter doesn't get the credit he deserves) in the band.

To me, the best album to start with is Blackwater Park (that's what I started with) Breaks you in great with The Drapery Falls and Harvest (especially Harvest). The way I see it, its their masterpiece...a perfect album, flawless. The others are phenominal, but Blackwater stands out as their pinnacle.

By the way, does anyone else think Steven Wilson should stop producing their albums? As much as I love the guy and his music and what he did for the band...I think they should get someone else (hopefully Swano again) that can take them in a new direction. Anyone agree?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 10:38 PM
I believe the move to get the new drummer is to replace Lopez until he recovers...remember, they had to cancel gigs in South America and (I believe) the Israel/Jordan gigs because of his mental health. I'm sure its just a fill in until he regains his mental health...I think Lopez is a very talented musician probably the 2nd most underrated (I believe Peter doesn't get the credit he deserves) in the band.

To me, the best album to start with is Blackwater Park (that's what I started with) Breaks you in great with The Drapery Falls and Harvest (especially Harvest). The way I see it, its their masterpiece...a perfect album, flawless. The others are phenominal, but Blackwater stands out as their pinnacle.

By the way, does anyone else think Steven Wilson should stop producing their albums? As much as I love the guy and his music and what he did for the band...I think they should get someone else (hopefully Swano again) that can take them in a new direction. Anyone agree?

Yes Dan Swano is a genius, I fully agree with you hon, Except I don't think thats possible. hence Dan Swano has retired. BTW, Nice Porcupine Tree Avatar :thumb:

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Dan Swanö doesnt produce any bands hes not in anymore, he doesn't have the time for it. he just works in a guitar shop all day listening to journey pretty much.

IvortheEngineDriver
07-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Yes Dan Swano is a genius, I fully agree with you hon, Except I don't think thats possible. hence Dan Swano has retired. BTW, Nice Porcupine Tree Avatar :thumb:
Thanks...though Swano could come out of retirement. Since Opeth's label went under (about time, the assholes didn't allow him to sing on Crimson II, in my opinion, when Mike screams God in Crimson I, the best scream ever!) he can now collaborate with Mike.

The thing that bothers me is that, this is especially evident in the DVD, that, since Mike is SUCH a huge fan of PT, that any idea that Steven has, Mike just says "okay" to...this can hinder what Mike is truly capable of. No knocks to Steven, I love his backround vocals on the soft part of "Master's Apprentice", but they need another creative force to push Opeth to another level in regards to their music.

BTW, is that really you in the avatar, if so...you are incredibly hot! :thumb:

Flynn
07-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Holy shlt! I love you! ;) Isn't Opeth too deep to forget? Seriously. I want To Bid You Farewell to be played at my funeral. I love opeth because of Morningrise! I bought Orchid like 2 years ago at a place called Dreams in Ames Iowa. When I first listened to it I was like "WtF is this Garbage!?!?" But...in the amazing turn of events, It grew on me, grew on me like Vines! I can't explain it. I really don't want to bore you with my thoughts about Opeth. I think people are sick of me talking about them :lol:

BTW, yes that's my Senoir Pic from 1996. Thank you for the compliment!

It is a mere destiny I thought, a threshold I had crossed before.
The rain was waving goodbye, and when the night came the forest folded its branches around me.
Something passed by, and I went into a dream.
She laughing and weeping at once: "take me away".
I don't know how or why, I´ll never know When. - April Ethereal

IvortheEngineDriver
07-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Holy shlt! I love you! ;) Isn't Opeth too deep to forget? Seriously. I want To Bid You Farewell to be played at my funeral. I love opeth because of Morningrise! I bought Orchid like 2 years ago at a place called Dreams in Ames Iowa. When I first listened to it I was like "WtF is this Garbage!?!?" But...in the amazing turn of events, It grew on me, grew on me like Vines! I can't explain it. I really don't want to bore you with my thoughts about Opeth. I think people are sick of me talking about them :lol:

BTW, yes that's my Senoir Pic from 1996. Thank you for the compliment!

The rain was waving goodbye, and when the night came the forest folded its branches around me.
I don't know how or why, I´ll never know When. - April Ethereal
I agree...To Bid You Farewell is probably the best soft song they have ever done (i'm trying to learn how to play it on my bass, but its gonna take me a while) I love the line "I stand motionless in the parade of falling rain" MAN! That is good writing! :) I had the same reaction, I was like "WTF is this ****?" when my friend convinced me to buy Blackwater Park like 3 years ago. I was driving home from work and I listened to Bleak and just went "HOLY ****"...I was in love. One thing I love about them is that they are a perfect blend of death metal and prog rock...hard and soft.

I can't quite explain what their songs mean to me, any fan can say the same thing. They have just beautiful music, to hard to explain.

My all time favorite Opeth song is still "The Drapery Falls"...god, I just can't fathom the beauty of that song...amazing amazing amazing.

I also like thier instrumentals...the best, IMO is Patterns in the Ivy and Silhouette. But especially Patterns, pure beauty.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Yes I love To Bid You Farewell. You play bass huh? That is a hard song to play Bass wise. It isn't power chord bs ya know? On the opening verse the bass goes even with the guitar then the next verse it goes a couple frets below. **** I can't explain this on the keyboard. I play Guitar for 11 year, I know what you are thinking. Yes Bleak is a Beautiful song, especially when the bass comes in after the trebbel picking solo around 6:40. Actually it is Exactly 6:40. It gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

The best Porcupine Tree song is Heartattack In A Layby.

I like Trains also. Good song. You ever heard of Anathema? They are one of my favorite bands. Definately in my Top 5.

ninjamonkey
07-25-2004, 11:19 PM
i skipped out on reading most of this thread.

I just wanted to say that I have all the Opeth albums and Orchid is their best.

what do you mean they don't have a genre? Progressive Melodic Death

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 11:20 PM
I wouldnt even say progressive melo death, melodic is usually implied with progressive. They are more doom than melo death in my opinion.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Well most people say they are Prog Death Metal... I don't think that fits them. I think they have their own genre. No one sounds like them and if they try, they will get ridiculed.

I don't know how or why, I´ll never know When.

IvortheEngineDriver
07-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes I love To Bid You Farewell. You play bass huh? That is a hard song to play Bass wise. It isn't power chord bs ya know? On the opening verse the bass goes even with the guitar then the next verse it goes a couple frets below. **** I can't sxplain this on the keyboard. I play Guitar for 11 year, I know what you are thinking. Yes Bleak is a Beautiful song, especially when the bass comes in after the trebbel picking solo around 6:40. Actually it is Exactly 6:40. It gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

The best Porcupine Tree song is Heartattack In A Layby.

I like Trains also. Good song. You ever heard of Anathema? They are one of my favorite bands. Definately in my Top 5.
I agree about Bleak...that's bad *** when the bass comes in...I like it, I don't know the time when it stops and Mike says "Help me cure you, atone for all you've done..." That's a great part...that and when when he whispers tears in the 2nd verse...

I love Heart Attack in a Layby...probably the best lyrics on the whole In Absentia record. I love the whole album though, Trains is just...indescribable, but I love Prodigal and Gravity Eyelids (especially the "touching your oil skin, slipping hands down past your waist to find..." line, love that) and for the rock part, Blackest Eyes (my band is learning that), Wedding Nails and Strip the Soul. Collapse the Light into Earth is very beautiful. I haven't heard much of their other stuff, I listened to Signify on their website, wasn't that impressed, though, if I can, I really want to get Stupid Dreams (which I can't find because they stopped re-producing it...cost me 40 bucks to get it from Korea on Amazon), to me, its the pre-cursor to In Absentia and has one of my favorite songs on there (Slave Called Shiver). BTW, Mike plays guitar and sings on the new PT album coming out at the end of this year *squeals like a little girl* :)

I love the piano part at the end of The Leper Affinity...ahhh, very nice.

I haven't heard of Anathema...but, I might have to investigate...any songs you recommend?

Have you heard of Enslaved? I just got Below the Lights a few days ago, I like it, though, they are no Opeth :)

ninjamonkey
07-25-2004, 11:22 PM
meh.

let us disagree then.

ninjamonkey
07-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Well most people say they are Prog Death Metal... I don't think that fits them. I think they have their own genre. No one sounds like them and if they try, they will get ridiculed.

does "progressive" not infer that they sound different and have their own style?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:26 PM
As far as Anathema goes...

Empty
Fragile Dreams
Everwake
Deep
Emotional Winter
Anyone, Anywhere
Balance
Destiny
Feel
Underworld
Judgement
One Last Goodbye
Forgotten Hopes

Hun if you like Porcupine Tree you have found your new obsession. Anathema are Ungodly talented. They remind me of Pink Floyd of the 00's.

Enjoy!

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 11:26 PM

Thats the definition of progressive right there buddy

IvortheEngineDriver
07-25-2004, 11:27 PM
does "progressive" not infer that they sound different and have their own style?
I think they touch on prog elements that have been done previously...you can hear like Nick Drake, Yes and King Crimson in Opeth, plus, ****ation is about as prog as you get.

SPeaking of Prog...if you want a KICKASS Prog band, look up Anekdoten...amazing band, just beautiful music all around. I know Mike likes them, from what I've heard.

Get Gravity or Nucleus, if you can find it :)

Flynn

Im not dissagreeing with you. I am simply stating my opinion. Don't you think they deserve their own genre? Seriously?

ShetaN bRaT
Opeth is cool buuuut I perfer OhhhhTEP ^_^

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Otep is actually an anagram of Poet. The Lp Sevas Tra is Art Saves Backwards. Otep is NOTHING like Opeth. Just cause they start with the lettel "O" doesn't mean ****.

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Have you heard of Enslaved? I just got Below the Lights a few days ago, I like it, though, they are no Opeth :)

I disagree, Below the Lights is one of the most brilliant albums ive ever heard. In all honesty, 8 times out of 10 i would rather listen to enslaved than opeth

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:31 PM
I disagree, Below the Lights is one of the most brilliant albums ive ever heard. In all honesty, 8 times out of 10 i would rather listen to enslaved than opeth

To Each His Own

ninjamonkey
07-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Im not dissagreeing with you. I am simply stating my opinion. Don't you think they deserve their own genre? Seriously?

No, i honestly don't think they deserve their own genre. It's not like they are doing anything revolutionary.

Not only that, but there are so many genres these days that I don't think there is any band that exists or will exist in the near future that deserves their own genre.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:33 PM
No, i honestly don't think they deserve their own genre. It's not like they are doing anything revolutionary.
Not only that, but there are so many genres these days that I don't think there is any band that exists or will exist in the near future that deserves their own genre.

Actually they are going to revolutionize music as we know it. Just watch and see.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:33 PM
As a matter of fact...they already did :lol:

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 11:34 PM
There are other bands out there that are similar enough to Opeth to not be too terribly revolutionary anymore. See: Disillusion, Novembers Doom, Garden of Shadows.

Leave the real prog bands to being music revolutionaries, not the hybrid prog bands

ninjamonkey
07-25-2004, 11:36 PM
They are going to? What? They did? Where was I?

I like Opeth and everything, but really, I don't believe they are revolutionary.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Don't be hatin'. Opeth fans know the importance of his concept. They are all about nature. They aren't Wiccans or anything. They have been doing this style since 1990. NINETEEN NINETY!!!!!

Opeth Deserves their own genre and people can name them whatever thay want to under a certain genre. I file them under "Opeth" genre. Cause that's what they are and tha's what they always will be.

ShetaN bRaT
07-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeh I sorta figured that OTEP wasn't the same band as Opeth seeing as they aren't spelled the same and look/sound completely different. Wth man ?

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Then why say you like them better under an Opeth thread? hun don't start with me seriously I know what you were trying to do just admit it.

NJMetalMeister
07-25-2004, 11:43 PM
Don't be hatin'. Opeth fans know the importance of his concept. They are all about nature. They aren't Wiccans or anything. They have been doing this style since 1990. NINETEEN NINETY!!!!!

Opeth Deserves their own genre and people can name them whatever thay want to under a certain genre. I file them under "Opeth" genre. Cause that's what they are and tha's what they always will be.

right, seriously they are just making long death songs with a lot of acoustic passages in them. Death was revolutaionary, Opeth isnt.

I also just realized you said that your avatar was you, and no it isn't that is Jenna Jameson, so unless you are Jenna Jameson (which i somehow doubt you are) then that isn't you. And that sure as hell isn't 1996 Jenna Jameson

ShetaN bRaT
07-25-2004, 11:43 PM
I was commenting on Opeth ! Is this not a discussion about them ? Everybody mixes them up with OTEP, so I just added it.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:46 PM
I have yet to find someone to confuse Opeth with Otep...Only Preps that listen to Trust Co. make that mistake.

ShetaN bRaT
07-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Well I'm pretty much surrounded by "preps" so I hear that confusion often.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Cool

LeperAffinity
07-25-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm three days late, but whatever. Yes, Opeth is pure brilliance. I'd been on a bit of a thrash binge lately and while reading through this thread I put some Opeth on. Now I'm just mellowing out, taking it all in. Yes, this band is revolutionary, yes they are unique, and they're very underappreciated(Note: not underrated). This band deserves so much more success than they have, and I know they are destined for great things. Also, to the person who spoke about Death, you're right, Chuck was a genius, and a metal god. Death and Opeth have probably had the biggest impacts upon me, and it's sad that Chuck is no longer with us. RIP

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:50 PM
right, seriously they are just making long death songs with a lot of acoustic passages in them. Death was revolutaionary, Opeth isnt.

I also just realized you said that your avatar was you, and no it isn't that is Jenna Jameson, so unless you are Jenna Jameson (which i somehow doubt you are) then that isn't you. And that sure as hell isn't 1996 Jenna Jameson

roflmao Jenna Jameson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahaha Nope. This is me silly! If you think it's Jenna Jameson then put the same exact pic on your avatar. that's what I thought. Don't come to this thread and start to degrate me and lie about me/talk smack about opeth please.

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm three days late, but whatever. Yes, Opeth is pure brilliance. I'd been on a bit of a thrash binge lately and while reading through this thread I put some Opeth on. Now I'm just mellowing out, taking it all in. Yes, this band is revolutionary, yes they are unique, and they're very underappreciated(Note: not underrated). This band deserves so much more success than they have, and I know they are destined for great things. Also, to the person who spoke about Death, you're right, Chuck was a genius, and a metal god. Death and Opeth have probably had the biggest impacts upon me, and it's sad that Chuck is no longer with us. RIP

RIP Chuck

Flynn
07-25-2004, 11:56 PM

No reply? That's what I thought. Although Jenna Jameson is prettier then me, I resent this.

RipChuck
07-26-2004, 12:08 AM

Right on, especially with the Chuck part bro. :thumb:

Antares
07-26-2004, 12:22 AM
roflmao Jenna Jameson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahaha Nope. This is me silly! If you think it's Jenna Jameson then put the same exact pic on your avatar. that's what I thought. Don't come to this thread and start to degrate me and lie about me/talk smack about opeth please.

Wait a minute...that's you in your avatar?

From page 1: I love you :p

Still have feelings for me, baby? :naughty:

ninjamonkey
07-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Im probably too late but "Melinda" was made up

ninjamonkey
07-26-2004, 01:29 AM

what about putting same pic up?

JMetallica
07-26-2004, 02:01 AM
They are a terrible band... B.................. O................................R................ ..........I ................. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................... ..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

EDIT: Hot blonde women don't use the internet. Period.

methodlessman
07-26-2004, 02:17 AM
If you had to place Opeth in a genre, Prog Metal, would probably be most fitting, if you are trying to describe all their albums. But they change often. Orchid and Morningrise were probably best described as Progressive Death/Black Metal, as the harmonies we find in Opeth today, weren't as distinguished and out in the open, if there at all. But you did get the atmosphere, and much more Black Metal like growls/screams. When we arrive at MAYH, we start to see alot of harmonies, and less acoustic work. This is probably more of a Death Metal album, then anyother of their works, including Deliverence. Still Life, changes upon what happened in MAYH, because we get so much more of the acoustic work, and clean singing, and the death metal is really really starting to become the way it is today. But its death sections still contain, less melody and focus more on "brutality" than melody. Were it not for Face of Melinda, Benighted, and the jazzy guitar work, this would have been their most DM album. But it probably would have been a bore, were it this way, after MAYH. And, then we get to what is usually considered their crowning achievement, Blackwater Park. This does, incorporate alot more melody than their previous work, cutting back on harmonies some and focusing on unison guitar parts, that usually interact with the bass and drumming. But some of their best harmonies are on this CD(ie The Drapery Falls). IMO it has the perfect mix. This is probably when they are hardest to define, as they mix elements of straight death metal, aswell as melodic death, but still with their own very unique sound. If you got the re-release you also got Still Day Beneath The Sun and Patterns In The Ivy 2, which are acoustic tracks, with only clean singing. It kinda chnages it, but if you have the original, you probably know what I mean about being more straight death. Deliverence, as you know is the heavy album. I think MAYH filled this role better. But I also understand that its only called that because of ****ation being recorded at the same time. Anyway, this CD is the perfect mix of death riffing and harmonies. I also think their best harmony part ever, the ending of Masters Apprentices, after the last solo(I could cum when I hear it). His voice sounds amazing when he sings

"pacing roads unknown
searching for a new home
desert in my eye
barren lands inside"

Not to mention, the scream with the bend at the end of the solo. And the drumming, makes we gonna buy a set just to learn how to play it(seriously). But overall, I think this album suffers from the same scourge as their first efforts, and that is length. Masters Apprentices is the only song I don't fast forward through. I love Opeth's riffs and stuff, but they need to learn that too much of a good thing can be bad. I believe this album to almost be as good as BP, but it tends to drag, and will sometimes be a chore to listen to(espically if you can't wait for them to finish this one part and move onto your favorite part). But this album is definetly progressive melodic death. No doubt. The harmonies, melodies, and brutality are all there. And now we of course come to ****ation. The mellow album. And as of right now, one of my least liked. This album too suffers from "the drag" as did Deliverence IMO. Their songs weren't all that long, atleast not when compared to Deliverence, but still. Like for instance, the intro to Windowpane. I don't think the riff is that great, and doesn't really fit to well with the song, but it goes on for 34 seconds(maybe I'm just impatient?). After that the song is pretty good, but not a great way to open the album IMO. Just about the only song that doesn't have "the drag" is Closure, to an extent, and To Rid The Disease. This album is prog rock. Even folk at times, but just prog rock for the most part.

Man, that was suppose to be a sentence or two when I started. Anyway that's how I see it. If you disagree, go easy on the flaming, but I know how us Opeth fans are.

Distorted Vision
07-26-2004, 06:22 AM

That's definitely not Jenna Jameson mate, although there's a likeness it's not the same girl.

If that really is Flynn she's probably the hottest poster on MX.

IvortheEngineDriver
07-26-2004, 08:02 AM
That's definitely not Jenna Jameson mate, although there's a likeness it's not the same girl.

If that really is Flynn she's probably the hottest poster on MX.
What makes her more hot is that she likes Death Metal...****, that is about the hottest thing in the world. NOt to mention she is drop dead gorgeous... :naughty:

AHhhhh...I can dream, can't I? :)

iwearshoes
07-26-2004, 08:09 AM
I've been promoting this band to people for a long time now, they are so good.

If you like Opeth then check out this band from Finland called Kalmah, there sound is a little different, check out their song Hades, and Bird of Ill Omen.

metallica bass101 666
07-26-2004, 09:06 AM
y would any one want to hate on opeth there better musician than u would ever be soo keep ur coment to ur self.

NJMetalMeister
07-26-2004, 09:35 AM
No reply? That's what I thought. Although Jenna Jameson is prettier then me, I resent this.

No reply because I have a life outside of MX, and i guarantee i have seen that picture before somewhere, if it's not Jenna, it's some other Porn Star of some sort. And when i find it, i'll show you all. (ill censor any boobies that may be in it to make it MX friendly, but i KNOW i've seen that before somewhere).

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-26-2004, 03:10 PM
No reply because I have a life outside of MX, and i guarantee i have seen that picture before somewhere, if it's not Jenna, it's some other Porn Star of some sort. And when i find it, i'll show you all. (ill censor any boobies that may be in it to make it MX friendly, but i KNOW i've seen that before somewhere).

life outside of Mx = porn . sweet.

suspect
07-26-2004, 03:25 PM
I hope Lopez gets well... I mean, that part in Deliverance where he uses the double bass, at around 10 minutes... So amazing...

The syllek attacks
07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Back on topic and off porn, I own blackwater park and love it, I want to get some more, but am short on cash.

THough if you like opeth I would greatly suggest you buy some Spiral Architect, similiar but with a more open and hollow look on music, making it very intresting.

methodlessman
07-26-2004, 03:30 PM
I hope Lopez, is still the creative force behind the drums, maybe even if he can't play some of it. He's a musical genius.

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-26-2004, 03:33 PM
I couldnt get into Spiral Architect as much, but they are still good.

I just listened to Deliverance, the drums are ownage.

Flynn
07-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Yep ownage indeed. I DL the songs Patterens In The Ivy II and Still Day Beneath The Sun a couple weeks ago. I wonder why these songs weren't on any of their CD's? I wonder if they were meant to be or just some extra stuff Mikael worked on. Both Beautiful Songs.

Red sun rising somewhere through the dense fog.
The portrait of the jaded dawn who had seen it all before.
This day wept on my shoulders. Still the same as yesterday.
This path seems endless, body is numb.
The soul has lost its flame.
Walking in familiar traces to find my way back home.
So there I was. Within the sobriety of the immortals.

Cardboard Headgear
07-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Check out Ayreon's The Human Equation album. You'll like it.

ninjamonkey
07-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Yep ownage indeed. I DL the songs Patterens In The Ivy II and Still Day Beneath The Sun a couple weeks ago. I wonder why these songs weren't on any of their CD's? I wonder if they were meant to be or just some extra stuff Mikael worked on. Both Beautiful Songs.

Red sun rising somewhere through the dense fog.
The portrait of the jaded dawn who had seen it all before.
This day wept on my shoulders. Still the same as yesterday.
This path seems endless, body is numb.
The soul has lost its flame.
Walking in familiar traces to find my way back home.
So there I was. Within the sobriety of the immortals.

They are on CDs. They are the bonus tracks on Blackwater Park.

ninjamonkey
07-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I hope Lopez, is still the creative force behind the drums, maybe even if he can't play some of it. He's a musical genius.

can't play it? Why? what happened?

metallica bass101 666
07-27-2004, 09:37 AM
cause hes has mental illness but he still a great musician ,

methodlessman
07-27-2004, 10:48 AM
All I know about his condition, is that he is mentally ill. So maybe, it would prevent him from concentrating long enough to record an album, or maybe his motor skills are affected? I hope not, hes a great drummer. Opeth would suffer alot if they lost him.

Flynn
07-27-2004, 06:14 PM
All I know about his condition, is that he is mentally ill. So maybe, it would prevent him from concentrating long enough to record an album, or maybe his motor skills are affected? I hope not, hes a great drummer. Opeth would suffer alot if they lost him.

Which drummer are you talking about? Johan De Farfalla?

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-27-2004, 06:20 PM
:confused: Think they were talking about Lopez.

Wasn't Farfalla a bassist? :confused:

Flynn
07-27-2004, 06:21 PM
I really liked the drums on Orchid and Morningrise. Not saying anything about Martin Lopez, for he is ungodly good. A wise decision by choosing him.

Well anyways, I saw the Movie Requiem For A Dream last night and it's safe to say it's one of the most depressing, sickening movies I have ever see. That movie was directed great! A definate must see this year.

Flynn
07-27-2004, 06:24 PM
:lol: yes. My mistake just got off work. Yes I was talking about Farfalla earlier in this thread and his superb bass work. I need to Unwind I am losing my MIND!

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Orchid and Morningrise had some great drums, but between Deliverance and ****ation , there was a lot of versatility shown.

I've heard of that movie, been wanting to see it. I'll have to throw that onto the list of things to see when I get enough time :upset:

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-27-2004, 06:27 PM
yes. My mistake just got off work. Yes I was talking about Farfalla earlier in this thread and his superb bass work. I need to Unwind I am losing my MIND! ah ok, I was second guessing myself there because I am not the expert I wish I was

Flynn
07-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Yeah, It will make you never want to try any kind of drug lol. It's a great movie, It shows how Heroin can tear you apart from everything you love, Everyone you love, Family. GOod flick I love it. I would rather not think about it though lol Depressing.

methodlessman
07-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah, Requiem For A Dream is a good movie. I really liked it.

I was talking about Lopez, I was under the impression that he is the one possibly being replaced. I don't know anymore, you guys confused the **** out of me.

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-27-2004, 06:33 PM
the other movies on my list include A Clockwork Orange, Schindlers list, 21 grams...man I should pick up something happy as well.

I see you posted in the In Flames thread. In Flames sorta got me into Opeth. They are way different, but both Swedish and metal.

methodlessman
07-27-2004, 06:36 PM
I never saw Schindlers List, but I'm a WWII freak, and I wanna see it. How was it?

Opeth, got me into In Flames, I always found Opeth more listenable than In Flames.

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Opeth is easier to listen to, but more people talk about In Flames, especially back then, so I ended up testing them out first.

methodlessman
07-27-2004, 06:49 PM
My friend told me about them, I remmeber cause I'm such a fan now. The first song I heard was The Jester Dance. I was really into Deicide at the time so I thought it was all a bunch of folk stuff. But I came to my sense's. And I'm glad I did. But this is about Opeth. Check ths out, Peter and Mikeal's old, band Steel.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=9304

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Whoah cool, I've never heard of that. Does Mikael write most of their stuff also?

methodlessman
07-27-2004, 06:54 PM
They have long sense broke up. And I dont know. Possibly.

NJMetalMeister
07-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Steel was a joke that Dan Swanö and Mikael thought up in the recording of Morningrise. They wrote three songs pretty quick, not much effort on any of them, they never really clarified who wrote most of the music, because quite frankly it didn't matter. each song was about two or three simple riffs and that was it. Dan Swanös voice is hilarious in Steel though

Wow
07-27-2004, 08:01 PM
I love Opeth and have for quite some time, but I never see one of my favorite songs being talked about. Dirge For November. Maybe I'm the only person to like . :-/

methodlessman
07-27-2004, 11:25 PM
No, I like it alot. I love listening to the intro when its rainy or gloomy out. Like the the cover for Blackwater Park.

ninjamonkey
07-28-2004, 01:21 AM
who is your friends band?

anyway, so whats this speculation about lopez getting kicked out?

it seems like everyone's first In Flames song is The Jester's Dance.

Cardboard Headgear
07-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Mine was Colony. Do I win something? Oh yeah, on Soulseek I found a great recording of one of the shows on the ****ation tour. To Bid You Farewell live is far too awesome. Just search for "opeth live" and they're the ones simply labeled as 01 - Windowpane, 02- In My Time Of Need, etc.

Shlakalam3
07-28-2004, 02:12 AM

To Bid You Farewell
The Twilight Is My Robe
When
Credence
Face of Melinda
Advent
The Apostle In Triumph
Hope Leaves
The Masters Apprentices
April Ethereal
Demon Of The Fall

What about the awesome ones of ****ation, like Windowpane and Death Whispered a Lullaby :evil:

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-28-2004, 10:43 AM
I liked To Rid the Disease and Closure the best off of ****ation. Actually, the entire thing is pretty **** good.

bucket
07-28-2004, 11:06 AM
I want to have sex with Deliverance's outro... need I say more?

We need to right some reviews guys. I might do one for Deliverance.

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I want to have sex with Deliverance's outro... need I say more?
It's an anatomical challenge, but I would try it also...

We need to right some reviews guys. I might do one for Deliverance.

That would be cool, if everyone is up for that. I can do an Orchid one, I have been listening to that alot lately.

_1LaStTrY
07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
the acoustic parts are really well one, they master both acoustic and electric guitar, most of the time in the same song, so props to them !

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-28-2004, 02:44 PM
yeah, Remember Tomorrow has one of the coolest acoustic/ electric mixes.

bucket
07-28-2004, 04:09 PM
That would be cool, if everyone is up for that. I can do an Orchid one, I have been listening to that alot lately.

Let's. I'll try to get mine up today or tomorrow. I already did it, but when I clicked 'Submit' it had an error or something and I hadn't saved it.

I think Deliverance might be my favorite album, but Sam Goody rarely has any decent CDs, so I have yet to buy Still Life and MAYH.

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-28-2004, 04:19 PM
Ok I will get out my listening hat and get to work. Probably will post tomorrow.

bucket
07-29-2004, 10:18 PM
Sorry, I still don't have my review up. I'm really lazy, but I promise I might get it up sometime.

Anyways let's keep the Opeth coming.

Cardboard Headgear
07-30-2004, 01:31 AM
yeah, Remember Tomorrow has one of the coolest acoustic/ electric mixes.
It's an Iron Maiden song.

PeEpHoLe_10
07-30-2004, 03:49 AM
I have a few comments concerning issues in this thread, so here goes..
I love,love,love Opeth and only have three of their albums (deliverence,****ation and recently, like yesterday blackwater park). I shall be getting them all in the not too distant future though.
Flynn, that is not in you in your avatar, just like someone else said i have seen that picture some where else before. But if we are wrong, prove it and post another pic of you.But your still cool for loving Opeth anyway, so its okay that your lying.
And finally, Jmetallica, although i dont live on this board like others i have seen you around alot and thought you had a pretty good taste in music,but you have blown it with that comment about Opeth. How on earth are they boring? Alot more exciting and interesting than the overrated band that is Metallica!

_HiGhVoLtAgE_
07-30-2004, 04:05 AM
i think the best opeth song is a fair judgement. but all of them rock.

XlxRazorxBladexlX
07-30-2004, 06:35 PM
I think Opeth are great. Simply amazing, cannot put this band in a genre. They simply are Opeth. Intricate instruments, poetic lyrics, amazing vocals.

I first picked up Blackwater Park because a friend recommended it. So I did, when I first listened to the album, it was like a snooze album. But after listening to more often, I started to like it more after every listen. Now I can't put down the **** CD.

Will definitely buy more albums buy them when I get money.

Flynn
07-30-2004, 06:40 PM
What about the awesome ones of ****ation, like Windowpane and Death Whispered a Lullaby :evil:
Ever since Windowpane was played on MTV, I tend not to talk about it. Great song though especially Death Whispered A Lullaby. :thumb:

Shadows skulk at my coming
We survey the slopes
In search for the words to write the missing page
The tainted dogma

bucket
07-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Does anyone besides me think Harvest isn't great?

I cannot see what is so good about that song. Not to mention that annoying screeching sound in the backround of every Blackwater Park song. Well not really, but that noise is something that shouldn't be there at all. What is it anyways? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's still an awesome CD.

JMetallica
07-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Steel was a joke that Dan Swanö and Mikael thought up in the recording of Morningrise. They wrote three songs pretty quick, not much effort on any of them, they never really clarified who wrote most of the music, because quite frankly it didn't matter. each song was about two or three simple riffs and that was it. Dan Swanös voice is hilarious in Steel though

That record is quite good actually.

sensitiveorgan00
07-30-2004, 11:02 PM
It's an Iron Maiden song.

Yeah. I prefer Opeth's version. :eek:

You guys know where I can find teh video for Windowpane other than a file sharing program?

Shadows
07-31-2004, 11:45 AM
****, I was kinda hoping to do Orchid...