PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Moses
05-17-2006, 12:07 AM
But it clearly shows their lack of mature writing. It's mature past the whole "verse chorus" thing but it's completely unstructured and wanders alot. Even if they don't rely on previous riffs, that's not necessarily a good thing. To someone who's taking formal songwriting and composition classes (me), it's really undeveloped to me.

That said, the content is great and I'll give it a listen every once in a while. I just got done listening to Orchid so yeah, I do like older Opeth alot too. The songwriting is much more developed now though.

Tyler
05-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I have to say that I find BRI to be underwhelming in comparison to the praise it gets, but maybe that's just my opinion. I also feel it's under-developped despite it's unconventional structure, or lackthereof. Oddly enough, as I finished typing that sentence, Deliverance started to play, almost instantly.

gmoneyguy
05-17-2006, 12:16 AM
But it clearly shows their lack of mature writing. It's mature past the whole "verse chorus" thing but it's completely unstructured and wanders alot. Even if they don't rely on previous riffs, that's not necessarily a good thing. To someone who's taking formal songwriting and composition classes (me), it's really undeveloped to me.
I'm a music major.... I can hear there structure just find. They do have general theme through out their songs.

Slapping Penguin
05-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I had a good mate I took the Sydeny concert last month. I wanted someone to come with me so he was a good guitarest drummer mate, dug the metal everyone knows but never was really into the stuff I was in. He went to Opeth with me after I showed him Lamentations and I converted him. He loves them now and has become an extreme metal fan, he likes Necrophagist etc now. Its so good, to final have someone who digs the same as you. He likes growls now and said the concert was AMAZING. Killed anything he had ever seen or heard. So there you go, another to our ranks.

I would say Ghost Reveries is more Dream Theatre and Tool influenced Opeth

While something like My arms you hearse is more death metal influenced.

Det_Nosnip
05-17-2006, 04:22 AM
To someone who's taking formal songwriting and composition classes (me), it's really undeveloped to me.

How did you go about getting those? I'm really interested in doing the same (more arranging, actually), although I'm not quite sure where to look.

Det_Nosnip
05-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Ah, ****.

Martin Lopez leaves Opeth!

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael Åkerfeldt: " However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures "

Watch this spot for updates on Martin Lopez.

Great. More Axenrot.

Mother
05-17-2006, 05:23 AM
whoa , thats news to me.

Hevy Tred
05-17-2006, 06:28 AM
is axenrot bad? Forgive me, ive never heard of him

Shadius
05-17-2006, 07:40 AM

He seems to be a fast learner, he's just no Martin Lopez. :(

Txus
05-17-2006, 08:52 AM
No freaking way, he's really good (Bloobath's drummer) but he jsut isn't Lopez :mad:

Jude
05-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah it's longer...but BRI is far more intricate.
More intricate than Echoes? Hardly.
And as people were saying, BRI is essentially a bunch of really awesome parts thrown together, with barely any thought given to structure (or so the final product appears). That is its main weakness. Musically, it could be split up into 2 or more pieces and nobody would ever know that they had been one song. Echoes, on the other hand, is more cohesive and planned out, etc.

Of course I will defend Echoes to the death, it being the best song ever.

JamJar
05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
I will stand by saying that my favourite 20+ minute piece is Tubular Bells part 1. My god... it' so great. BRI does nothing for me.

Jude
05-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I will stand by saying that my favourite 20+ minute piece is Tubular Bells part 1. My god... it' so great. BRI does nothing for me.
Tubular Bells is also another piece which is probably better than BRI. Although not by so much.

Which reminds me, I have it on LP. I need to bust that out tonight.

So what does everyone think of the GR reissue? People are saying (of course) that it's just a sign of how Roadrunner is going to exploit the band for money, which is probably is, but you can't complain.

Bonus material include a 40 minute documentary about the making of the record complete with the bands own private tour footage, a cover of Deep Purple's "Soldier of fortune" recorded for UK's BBC radio, the video for "The grand conjuration", liner notes, photos, enhanced 24 page booklet, deluxe sleeve, and 5.1 surround exclusive mix of the record made by original mixed/engineer Jens Bogren.

The documentary, tour footage, Deep Purple Cover, and 5.1 mix all sound awesome. I don't actually own the album yet, either, so this is definitely a good excuse to buy it. You can't accuse Roadrunner of putting out a pointless money-grab reissue in this case.

Det_Nosnip
05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a feeling that the documentary would be rather bittersweet, especially any Lopez footage.

denboy
05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty happy for that rerelease since I haven't bought GR yet

Whale and Wasp
05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Yea but...Deliverance is a really hard album for a new opeth fan to get into
BWP would be best

Bleak \m/ (My first opeth song)
really......? :lol: we are like polar opposites in our opinions.....BWP did not flabbergast me like the other albums did, and deliverance was the album that really got me into opeth the first time

Cardboard Headgear
05-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm a music major.... I can hear there structure just find. They do have general theme through out their songs.
Yup, definately not an English major :p Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was going to say something about how I don't like the idea of being taught a certain way of arranging music and such, but I can't gather my thoughts well enough to make a pointed post.

MidnightRider
05-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Of course I will defend Echoes to the death, it being the best song ever.

Truth.

BRI does nothing for me.

Maybe you need to listen to it more or something, it took me many listens to really appreciate it's brilliance.

I try not to worry about the structural intricacy of BRI, I really just don't care about it. It is basically just a bunch of great riffs thrown together, but that's fine with me. I don't think I would like it any better if they went back and tried to make it more flowing and cohesive.

Jude
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Maybe you need to listen to it more or something, it took me many listens to really appreciate it's brilliance.

123. Took me a while to really appreciate it.

I try not to worry about the structural intricacy of BRI, I really just don't care about it. It is basically just a bunch of great riffs thrown together, but that's fine with me. I don't think I would like it any better if they went back and tried to make it more flowing and cohesive.
Same here, again. The parts are really awesome, and some of the parts are the best that I've heard in any Opeth song (especially the acoustic parts and clean vocals). However, the song as a whole really isn't MORE than the sum of its parts - it's just a mishmash of them. But still good.

Shattered_Future
05-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty happy for that rerelease since I haven't bought GR yet

Same. Now I can get a better edition...and I love better editions.

I don't like BRI because it has no substance. Like many others have said, it's just a bunch of awesome, awesome riffs thrown together. Repetition would have made the song excellent...

Stoo
05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I fucking love Black Rose Immortal because there is NO repititon of riffs.

What's with all the hatin' all of a sudden. :(

Darkness
05-17-2006, 05:14 PM
I love that song. I choose not to defend it, I just love it. No reason why.

Stormrider
05-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I love it too. It has some awsome moments.

Deth
05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
My favorite Opeth song is BRI.

Hevy Tred
05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I love that song. I choose not to defend it, I just love it. No reason why.

True that...True...that..

Toaster
05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Same. Now I can get a better edition...and I love better editions.

I don't like BRI because it has no substance. Like many others have said, it's just a bunch of awesome, awesome riffs thrown together. Repetition would have made the song excellent...

I agree, except I'll go further in saying that it's a bunch of not-so-great riffs thrown together. BRI is one of my least favourite Opeth songs.

Shattered_Future
05-17-2006, 07:54 PM
There's some killer riffs in there though, you have to admit...

PeEpHoLe_10
05-17-2006, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Toaster]I agree, except I'll go further in saying that it's a bunch of not-so-great riffs thrown together. BRI is one of my least favourite Opeth songs.[/QUOTE

Totally agree....i find it so boring for soem reason.

Txus
05-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Don't trash BRI :upset:

I love that song so much....I think it's just me, Deth and Flynn though.

Darkness
05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Don't trash BRI :upset:

I love that song so much....I think it's just me, Deth and Flynn though.
And DoG. I'm listening to it now... 9 minutes in.

Txus
05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Didn't see that storm, sorry...But yeah, BRI is an awesome song. My favorite Opeth song is To Bid Your Farewell though.

Stormrider
05-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I said in my post that I loved it.

Theres this part I really love:

I have Kept it
The Awakenth symbol
Hidden Inside the Golden Shrine
Until we rejoiced in the meadow
Of the end
When we both walk the shadows
It will set ablaze and vanish

That riff behind that part is amazing. Bold part is soo awsome.

Toaster
05-17-2006, 08:16 PM
There's some killer riffs in there though, you have to admit...

Definitely. I just think there are too many pointless parts, too many forgettable parts, and not nearly enough continuity.

Moses
05-17-2006, 10:05 PM
How did you go about getting those? I'm really interested in doing the same (more arranging, actually), although I'm not quite sure where to look.
I found my teacher through word of mouth. She's a really good teacher and her students won all kinds of stuff. I started taking them around October and they've helped me out alot. Before that I got 2nd in a state-wide composition competition though.

I appreciate BRI but in retrospect. It's definately a mishmash of things.

Darkness
05-17-2006, 10:12 PM
I think it actually flows rather nicely, even if the parts are all different. I like that. I really don't care how amaturish it is from a professional song writing point of view, it's an excellent song. Very epic.

Moses
05-17-2006, 10:21 PM
It really depends on my mood. Sometimes the lapses will bother me and somtimes they won't.

BurningSky
05-17-2006, 10:27 PM
My favorite part of BRI is the "it will set ablaze and then vanish" part, because of the way it goes acoustic as Mike is singing the word vanish. Very powerful piece of music...

i am the robots
05-17-2006, 11:17 PM
I know it's already old news so to speak, but I actually think Lopez leaving will be good... I mean, he's a gread drummer, and he was good in the band... but he never quite fit how well Nordin did on the first two releases... in a lot of songs (Benighted for example) he did stuff that was like, eh... could be better. Knowing Axe's pedegree I'm pretty psyched about him being in the band.

Dannyboy15
05-18-2006, 12:31 AM
I know it's already old news so to speak, but I actually think Lopez leaving will be good... I mean, he's a gread drummer, and he was good in the band... but he never quite fit how well Nordin did on the first two releases... in a lot of songs (Benighted for example) he did stuff that was like, eh... could be better. Knowing Axe's pedegree I'm pretty psyched about him being in the band.

What do you mean "like eh?" Sometimes certain songs call for a certain kind of playing.

Darkness
05-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Nordin didn't fit well at all. He wasn't very good IMO. Martin was much, much better.

Deth
05-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Lopez leaving won't make Mikeal write any differently, so there won't be a change of direction like some people are hoping for. Plus, Lopez made every song better in my opinion, so his loss isn't good in any way.

Crysiss
05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I agree. At times, he was too basic or tried to do too much.

It was all too much the same.

Det_Nosnip
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I found my teacher through word of mouth. She's a really good teacher and her students won all kinds of stuff. I started taking them around October and they've helped me out alot. Before that I got 2nd in a state-wide composition competition though.

I appreciate BRI but in retrospect. It's definately a mishmash of things.

Cool, I'll look around then. A friend of mine is doing post-grad at a University here in Chicago...maybe I'll ask her if she knows anyone. Although I would say that I'm picking up on stuff fairly quickly (I got my keyboard about a year ago), there are alot of things that I'm sure would go faster with an instructor. E.g: orchestrating brass and woodwinds. :(

UpperDecker
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I really hope they find someone whose style is similar to Lopez. I like how he had sort of a tribal sound in some songs. My favorite drumming by him is probably the end of Deliverance, i just really like that drumming for some reason.

Det_Nosnip
05-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Probably because it's badass. Well, they're not going to "find" anyone...they're just staying with bland ole Axenrot.

Darkness
05-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Axe is good...

eighty d
05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I think it's a bit premature to call Axe bland. No one's heard how he would play in a band like Opeth. The only thing I've heard him play on, besides this Opeth tour, is Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh. And I think the drumming fits perfectly on that album.

i am the robots
05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Probably because it's badass. Well, they're not going to "find" anyone...they're just staying with bland ole Axenrot.

/listens to Outnumbering the Day... that's definately not bland.

If you were listening to Ressurrected Through Carnage I would call the drumming bland, but that was Dan Swano, not Axe.

Deth
05-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Problem being of course, drumming in Bloodbath and Opeth is completely different. I love the drumming on Nightmares Made Flesh, but I don't know how his mellow parts would be.

i am the robots
05-18-2006, 07:38 PM
He can do some pretty varied stuff I'm sure.... otherwise they wouldn't have chosen him, I mean, I doubt Peter, Mike, Martin, and Per would want a one trick horse in their band, being known for playing such varied styles.

Daven
05-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Problem being of course, drumming in Bloodbath and Opeth is completely different. I love the drumming on Nightmares Made Flesh, but I don't know how his mellow parts would be.

That's what i loved about MArtin Lopez, his mellow parts were incredible.

Deth
05-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Didn't he drum for Katatonia as well though?

Witchery. The guitarist and bass player are from Katatonia.

i am the robots
05-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I just looked that up on metal archives, my bad :p.

That's what i loved about MArtin Lopez, his mellow parts were incredible.

Credence anybody?

Deth
05-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I like the outro to Closure the best out of his mellow parts.

i am the robots
05-18-2006, 08:09 PM
I was wrong actually... I was thinking Nordin played on My Arms Your Hearse, and then I was listening to Damnation.... Lopez is damn good. Axe will be a fine replacement though.

TojesDolan
05-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Wow, bee out of the internet a long while, let me see what I can find about this Axe man and whatever internet has to tell me about my beloved Opeth. :(

gmoneyguy
05-19-2006, 01:27 AM
WE are really going to wait until the next album to really say if Axenrot is a good fit or not. I pretty sure he'll be able to adapt and still add some good stuff to Opeth.

Slapping Penguin
05-19-2006, 04:14 AM
When people scremed for BRI at a concert he said "You only all like that f-ing song because its 20 minutes. You wanna see us suffer."

Well I love BRI, yes it jumpy but who cares.

PS: Does anyone elses Morningrise drums like jump between speakers. Like on second the ride is one the left then halfway way it jumps too the right.

I like the outro to Closure the best out of his mellow parts.

When Axe played that live he added double kicks on the very last time it sounded cool.

Jude
05-19-2006, 08:40 AM
I don't know if Axenrot is good or not. Det Nosnip seems to hate him though. Why's that?

But I will definitely miss Lopez's style. Nobody else is like him.

Back to BRI for a moment. I think it's the acoustic sections that make that song. The heavy riffs vary from tolerable to awesome, but mostly in between. The solo towards the end is also great. And the riff from 1:10 to 3:10 owns everything. But overall, the acoustic parts and vocal melodies are the highlights of the song. They are nearly all amazing, whereas the metal parts are average.

JamJar
05-19-2006, 09:32 AM
PS: Does anyone elses Morningrise drums like jump between speakers. Like on second the ride is one the left then halfway way it jumps too the right.
Yeah, mine does. The production on that album is awful, it really disrupts the listening for me.

Deth
05-19-2006, 09:48 AM
I've never noticed it. Can you give me a song and a time?

Jude
05-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Same here. Although I have noticed a lot of bass shifting back and forth between speakers which is kind of annoying. Especially the very beginning of BRI.

JamJar
05-19-2006, 11:07 AM
^That's mainly what I mean. The shifting between speakers. It's so damn annoying.

i am the robots
05-19-2006, 11:30 AM

I never did either, weird.

Jude
05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Tojes, what the HELL is your avatar?

Darkness
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Tojes, what the HELL is your avatar?
A character from the Tool music video, Parabola. If you don't like Tool, I recommend this video to you anyway.

Deth
05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I like to avoid Tool videos because they scare the crap out of me.

Darkness
05-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Because you're weak.

gmoneyguy
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Thats why they are so awesome.

Stormrider
05-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Back to BRI for a moment. I think it's the acoustic sections that make that song. The heavy riffs vary from tolerable to awesome, but mostly in between. The solo towards the end is also great. And the riff from 1:10 to 3:10 owns everything. But overall, the acoustic parts and vocal melodies are the highlights of the song. They are nearly all amazing, whereas the metal parts are average.

That solo at the end is excellent.
The song has some pretty cool distortion riffs though. Stuff like what I posted a few pages ago. Love that part. But yes, the acoustic riffs are excellent.

I never saw a Tool video.

Shadows
05-19-2006, 05:59 PM
BRI is one of my least favorite Opeth songs.

Jude
05-19-2006, 06:11 PM
BRI is one of my least favorite Opeth songs.
Let's fight.

I like Tool although I think they are one of the most overrated bands in existence. I have not seen any of their videos.

Shadows
05-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Let's fight.
You're in for quite a melee.

/throws down fisticuffs

Shattered_Future
05-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Ben, you're short. You lose.

While it's not one of my least favorites, BRI is a bit lacking, as I've stated numerous times...although I was going to learn it over the summer. :p

Shadows
05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Mike shall now proceed to boink himself.

Shattered_Future
05-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey, I agreed with you.

And it's a well known fact short people can't win fights.

Shadows
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
I know that, just watch your kneecaps. :mad:

Shattered_Future
05-19-2006, 06:50 PM
That's why I got kneepads. :cool:

Stormrider
05-19-2006, 07:04 PM
BRI is fun to play. Though, after a long time not playing it, I have to go through the tab quickly, because I don't remember everything :p

I like learning long songs...

Jude
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
You're in for quite a melee.

/throws down fisticuffs
Fisticuffs is one of my top 10 favorite words in English.

BurningSky
05-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Fisticuffs is one of my top 10 favorite words in English.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I always thought it was made up internet thing, but dictionary.com just showed me otherwise..:lol:

Slapping Penguin
05-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah, mine does. The production on that album is awful, it really disrupts the listening for me.

IT really does not bother me, compared to some albums its not bad at all.

Deth listen from 8:25 in BRI. You will notice it. and 10:56 Listen for the hit hats and rides etc

Nostalgia
05-20-2006, 08:54 PM
I just got My arms, your hearse. Awesome album so far. I just got an ipod and already have three Opeth albums on it.

I'm surprised I don't post in here a lot. They're easily becoming one of my favorite album.

Treebeard
05-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Awhile back I remember reading some band name mentioned in here that Mikael liked... They were (or maybe they are still around?) a prog rock band. It wasn't Camel. It was a three word long name I think.

Can anyone help me figure out what the band is?

Shadows
05-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I just got My arms, your hearse. Awesome album so far. I just got an ipod and already have three Opeth albums on it.

I'm surprised I don't post in here a lot. They're easily becoming one of my favorite album.
I have all Opeth albums except Orchid and Ghost Reveries on mine. :)

Nostalgia
05-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Dude where have you been? I haven't seen you on in a while.

BradJM
05-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Awhile back I remember reading some band name mentioned in here that Mikael liked... They were (or maybe they are still around?) a prog rock band. It wasn't Camel. It was a three word long name I think.

Can anyone help me figure out what the band is?

He is a fan of Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree. Is that who you're thinking of?

bucket
05-21-2006, 11:36 AM
uh, Van Der Graaf Generator? Four words, but I'm pretty sure I heard of them through Opeth somehow.

Tyr
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, Mikael is a huge fan of prog rock, so it could be almost any band, but Van Der Graaf Generator sounds like a likely candidate.

Stormrider
05-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Today at the store I saw MAYH for 24.99. Which is really good, as it was 30.99 before :-/

NP Death - Open Casket

Trivium616
05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
I just got Lamentations last night. I love it, but it should have had more heavier songs + Demon of the Fall. I liked the Damnation tracks too. I just need to get Deliverance so I can hear some of those heavier songs some more.

Tyr
05-21-2006, 01:24 PM
They weren't allowed to feature Demon of the Fall on the DVD due to legal reasons, but they played it as an encore at the show. It's just that they stopped shooting the DVD before they played Demon of the Fall.

i am the robots
05-21-2006, 01:32 PM
What copyright issues? With their old label? If so that's freaking bs.

Tyr
05-21-2006, 01:34 PM
What copyright issues? With their old label? If so that's freaking bs.
That was before they changed label to Roadrunner.

i am the robots
05-21-2006, 01:46 PM
The first few were on a different label than Blackwater Park-Damnation as well though, weren't they?

Tyr
05-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but that is why they only play stuff from BWP, D1 and D2 on the DVD.

JamJar
05-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Listening to BRI, the song should so end at 14.51 where Mikael whispers 'Black Rose Immortal,' but instead they drag the song on for another 5 minutes.

Jude
05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Listening to BRI, the song should so end at 14.51 where Mikael whispers 'Black Rose Immortal,' but instead they drag the song on for another 5 minutes.
Nah, the end has a really cool solo, acoustic part and then that cool siren riff.

Darkness
05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Nah, the end has a really cool solo, acoustic part and then that cool siren riff.
Agreed.

Cain
05-21-2006, 09:47 PM
All the songs on Morningrise go on too long, anyway. Now that we've established that as just a fact about the album, I think it's fine that they included more of that awesome music at the tail end.

Crysiss
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM

The following parts are great, but when he whispers Black Rose Immortal, It seems like a great closer for the song.

Im not saying Im in favor of it, its just a great closing line.

Toaster
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Today at the store I saw MAYH for 24.99. Which is really good, as it was 30.99 before :-/

NP Death - Open Casket

I bought Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH for 30.99 each. Damn HMV.

Crysiss
05-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Hmv sucks nads. They sell GR for like 12 bucks though.

Cain
05-21-2006, 10:47 PM

Are these American dollars we're talking? I've gotten every Opeth CD I own for under 18.00 at my local Borders.

gmoneyguy
05-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Are these American dollars we're talking? I've gotten every Opeth CD I own for under 18.00 at my local Borders.
Really? I have trouble finding anyth other the BWP, GR, and D&D. I did find MAYH at local CD shop right before the closed for $5; 2 years ago.

Moses
05-21-2006, 11:23 PM
I've gotten every Opeth cd I've bought for atleast under 14 dollars.

Darkness
05-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Hmv sucks nads. They sell GR for like 12 bucks though.
Cuz that's all it's worth compared to the others. :p

I also paid 30 bucks for MAYH and Orchid.

gmoneyguy
05-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Cuz that's all it's worth compared to the others. :p

I also paid 30 bucks for MAYH and Orchid.
Combined or a piece?

Darkness
05-21-2006, 11:49 PM
A piece.

gmoneyguy
05-21-2006, 11:50 PM
A piece.
Ouch... I;m lucky I found MAYH new for $5

Nostalgia
05-21-2006, 11:54 PM
I bought MAYH. I actually don't like it too much. I still think Orchid's their best work.

Darkness
05-21-2006, 11:55 PM
I bought MAYH. I actually don't like it too much. I still think Orchid's their best work.
MAYH is Opeths "grower" album. Read the lyrics.

gmoneyguy
05-21-2006, 11:57 PM
I used to not like it much, but the more I listened to it the better it got. Songs like Karma, April Ethereal, and Demons of the Fall are all great.

Nostalgia
05-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm hoping it'll grow on me

JamJar
05-22-2006, 12:47 AM
It's grown on me to become my favourite Opeth album. It's surpassed the oh so amazing Still Life, in terms of my likingness which is not easy to do.

Det_Nosnip
05-22-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't know if Axenrot is good or not. Det Nosnip seems to hate him though. Why's that?

Because I saw Opeth live and he was boring as hell.

PeEpHoLe_10
05-22-2006, 02:32 AM
What do you mean boring?You obviously know more about drumming than i do because your a drummer but he seemed to play the songs pretty perfect to me when i saw them.I know thats got nothing to do with how boring he is/isnt,but,really what more could he have done?

Shadius
05-22-2006, 05:37 AM

It grew on me so, so much.

Just listen on a cold wet, rainy day. Go for a walk.

Walking albums ftw!

Stormrider
05-22-2006, 08:00 AM

Haha, that's what they were all before. Morningrise I got somewhere else...in Florida for 16.99.

Oh, and it was at a HMV yesterday that MAYH was at 24.99. If only I had had more money...

NP Death - Suicide Machine

Neoteric
05-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I have fallen asleep to Damnation for several nights now.

JamJar
05-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Damnation is so relaxing. It's one of my most played albums. Lopez's playing is damn good on it. :(

Det_Nosnip
05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
What do you mean boring?You obviously know more about drumming than i do because your a drummer but he seemed to play the songs pretty perfect to me when i saw them.I know thats got nothing to do with how boring he is/isnt,but,really what more could he have done?

Well, a large part of it has more to do with "how" the notes are played than what notes in particular are played. Axe can perform the metal parts ok, but whenever the soft sections hit, I feel like he was rather lacking. He strikes me as a typical metal drummer - that is, to say, bad. The thing that I liked about Lopez was that he DIDN'T play the songs note for note live - he wasn't afraid to improvise, and was alot less predictable. Granted, it is pretty damn hard to play somebody else's music with the right groove and feeling, but I felt that Gene Hoglan pulled it off perfectly when I saw Opeth at SOTU (and he had ALOT less time to prepare), whereas Axe just feels...mediocre.

gmoneyguy
05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Because I saw Opeth live and he was boring as hell.
I honestly payed no attention to him. The funny thing Axenrot was set up in a way its look as if Opeth was trying to hide him from the crowd.

NP: Opeth - Wreath

Darkness
05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Well, a large part of it has more to do with "how" the notes are played than what notes in particular are played. Axe can perform the metal parts ok, but whenever the soft sections hit, I feel like he was rather lacking. He strikes me as a typical metal drummer - that is, to say, bad. The thing that I liked about Lopez was that he DIDN'T play the songs note for note live - he wasn't afraid to improvise, and was alot less predictable. Granted, it is pretty damn hard to play somebody else's music with the right groove and feeling, but I felt that Gene Hoglan pulled it off perfectly when I saw Opeth at SOTU (and he had ALOT less time to prepare), whereas Axe just feels...mediocre.
I am worried about the soft parts on later releases with Axe, but I am looking forward to the metal parts being stepped back up to that of Deliverance and Blackwater Park. The heavy parts on GR were rather bland (with a few exceptions ofcourse).

Shattered_Future
05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I kinda felt the same way...even though Opeth live was one of the sweetest things ever, Axe DID seem to be a bit lacking on the songs...he played them perfectly, he just didn't really have a feel to it. He just put the performance in, instead of putting in the performance, mind, body, and soul.

On another note, we're working on covering The Grand Conjuration to play next year at school.

Tyler
05-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I kinda felt the same way...even though Opeth live was one of the sweetest things ever, Axe DID seem to be a bit lacking on the songs...he played them perfectly, he just didn't really have a feel to it. He just put the performance in, instead of putting in the performance, mind, body, and soul.

On another note, we're working on covering The Grand Conjuration to play next year at school.
He might become more passionate, hopefully.

Good luck with the cover.

Toaster
05-22-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm sure part of it is that Axe knew that Lopez had been with the band for many years, and people would be heavily scrutinizing his playing. If he had tried to improvise a bit more or add some different elements, he would have had an easier time of screwing it up, and that would seem much worse to many fans than playing with very little "groove". Once he's in the band for awhile I bet he'll open up in his playing. Mikeal definitely has an ear for soft music, he wouldn't just recruit any metal drummer to play in his band.

Crysiss
05-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Great Point^^^

Jude
05-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Here's hoping Axe can make up for losing Lopez.

Out of curiosity what made you guys decide to do TGC?

i am the robots
05-22-2006, 05:45 PM
It's grown on me to become my favourite Opeth album. It's surpassed the oh so amazing Still Life, in terms of my likingness which is not easy to do.

Same here man.

penelope weird hands
05-22-2006, 10:31 PM
^ Well said Toaster.

It's no easy task to become passionate playing someone elses music/notes.
I would imagine it to be particularly hard for drummers.

I'm sure Axe will show his diversity for dynamics in Opeth's next release/s, seeing as he will play the parts originally with his own feel, rather than having to constantly try to replicate Lopez' style.

Det_Nosnip
05-23-2006, 02:05 AM
True. We'll see.

Darkness
05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes, we will...

/bump

ok lateralus
05-25-2006, 06:41 PM
This is slightly off topic but does anyone else think the next Opeth album is going to be not so good? Or flat out suck? Dont get me wrong I do highly enjoy 3 or 4 of the songs from Ghost Reveries but it seems like they're going in a certain direction... I don't know. Please no fanboi flames, I'm just expressing an opinion here.

Shattered_Future
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Here's hoping Axe can make up for losing Lopez.

Out of curiosity what made you guys decide to do TGC?

It's easy. :p

Seriously, that's the reason why. I can't figure out Bleak (which I REALLY want to do) for ****, and plus, this one's hella easy to play and sing at the same time. Plus, even though many of you won't admit it, there ARE some cool riffs in there.

Jude
05-25-2006, 06:55 PM
It's easy. :p

Seriously, that's the reason why. I can't figure out Bleak (which I REALLY want to do) for ****, and plus, this one's hella easy to play and sing at the same time. Plus, even though many of you won't admit it, there ARE some cool riffs in there.
Well, there's the main, riff, which is cool, and then that riff that busts out of nowhere and he does the long growl over it....I forget what else...and then that TERRIBLE "whispered conjuration etc" riff...

I assume you aren't doing the whole 10 minutes? What are you cutting out?

OK Lateralus: We'll see. I have no idea. I don't worry about it.

Flynn
05-25-2006, 06:56 PM
This is slightly off topic but does anyone else think the next Opeth album is going to be not so good? Or flat out suck? Dont get me wrong I do highly enjoy 3 or 4 of the songs from Ghost Reveries but it seems like they're going in a certain direction... I don't know. Please no fanboi flames, I'm just expressing an opinion here.

I predict Opeth's next album will be better than Ghost Reveries.

ok lateralus
05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I predict Opeth's next album will be better than Ghost Reveries.

What leads you to believe that?

Darkness
05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
God I hope so. :lol:

Flynn
05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
What leads you to believe that?

I think Axe will have a tremendous influence on their new writing technique.

ok lateralus
05-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Well, I really hope so. I would be saddened if they wrote an album of Reverie/Harlequin Forest songs.

Shattered_Future
05-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, there's the main, riff, which is cool, and then that riff that busts out of nowhere and he does the long growl over it....I forget what else...and then that TERRIBLE "whispered conjuration etc" riff...

I assume you aren't doing the whole 10 minutes? What are you cutting out?

OK Lateralus: We'll see. I have no idea. I don't worry about it.

No, it's Opeth as it was meant to be played. No cutting out like the single version...the whole 10 minutes.

Flynn
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, I really hope so. I would be saddened if they wrote an album of Reverie/Harlequin Forest songs.

You and me both. I could be wrong, but I don't think Opeth will be going in that direction for their next recording.

Deth
05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I actually completely disagree with this. I can't think why Mikeal would write differently because there is a different drummer. The songs may turn out differently because of his drumming, but I doubt they'll be written with them in mind. Also, it's not like he'll be writing himself.

i am the robots
05-25-2006, 08:53 PM
You and me both. I could be wrong, but I don't think Opeth will be going in that direction for their next recording.

Shame, seeing that harlequin forest is the best song on Ghost Reveries and the only song off the album I really get excited about when I hear it.

Carrionshine
05-25-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm shocked at how much people dont like GR on here. I personally loved it at first, got bored of it, then re-discovered it again.It is absolutely amazing.It took me months to finally realize it to this extent.

opethdw
05-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Ghost Reveries is such an awesome album. I don't see how anyone could not like it.

Carrionshine
05-25-2006, 10:13 PM
It would be much easier for people to like it if looked at it for what it is rather than what it's not.

pate
05-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Well put.

Killtacular
05-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Ghost Reveries is such an awesome album. I don't see how anyone could not like it.
We have higher standards than you.

Moses
05-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I honestly think GR is what you get when you put D+D together. I wasn't disappointed with it.

Det_Nosnip
05-25-2006, 10:46 PM
:lol: I highly doubt it. Let's face it, it's not like they're bringing in Blomberg or Hoglan in on this one. In fact, they're bringing in somebody who is significantly worse in almost every respect than the man he's replacing...why would you think he would have any large impact on the songwriting process?

Det_Nosnip
05-25-2006, 10:47 PM

No, you have different tastes. There is nothing "higher" or "lower" about it...it's simply an opinion.

Carrionshine
05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Hoglan would be a dream come true!I'll keep dreaming for now...

Shadius
05-26-2006, 07:16 AM

haha.

GR is one of Opeth's best albums, some people are just too narrow minded to see it.

rawr.

MidnightRider
05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I've been listening to GR more so than BWP and Still Life recently, I think it and Morningrise have taken over as my favorite Opeth albums.

I love how Harlequin Forest kicks in with..."Into the trees..."

Jude
05-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I honestly think GR is what you get when you put D+D together. I wasn't disappointed with it.
This. Well, sort of. GR has a quite different feel than D&D. However I like GR - just not as much as the previous albums. (Except Orchid)

Det_Nosnip
05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Hoglan would be a dream come true!I'll keep dreaming for now...

Well, did you know that he filled in for Lopez during SOTU?

Killtacular
05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
No, you have different tastes. There is nothing "higher" or "lower" about it...it's simply an opinion.
You just say that because...

you're GAY!

And you love George Michael.
haha.

GR is one of Opeth's best albums, some people are just too narrow minded to see it.

rawr.
You too, Pinky.

Except you love Wham.

Carrionshine
05-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Well, did you know that he filled in for Lopez during SOTU?

Yep.I saw it with my own eyes.I would just love for him to be a fulltime member.But being that he's with SYL, it's a very slim chance of that happening.

Shadows
05-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I've been listening to GR more so than BWP and Still Life recently, I think it and Morningrise have taken over as my favorite Opeth albums.

I love how Harlequin Forest kicks in with..."Into the trees..."
Me too! :)

Whale and Wasp
05-26-2006, 04:57 PM
HF is good. my favorite song off GR though has to be Beneath the Mire. it kicks ***

Toaster
05-26-2006, 05:12 PM
:lol: I highly doubt it. Let's face it, it's not like they're bringing in Blomberg or Hoglan in on this one. In fact, they're bringing in somebody who is significantly worse in almost every respect than the man he's replacing...why would you think he would have any large impact on the songwriting process?

Hey, we don't really know that! All I've heard him in is Bloodbath, and although he wasn't a really nuanced player on that album, it is death metal!

Flynn
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM

When someone replaces someone else in a band, they are bound to have different ideas and aspects in certain areas of a song in the making then the previous member, sometimes good, sometimes bad. For example: When Gene Hoglan replaced Sean Reinert there was a dramatic change in Death's music. Even though I thought Sean had more technicality, Gene brought a whole new vibe to the band and helped create one of the most technical death metal albums of all time (Symbolic). I respect them both and will not compare the two simply because I love their work, and the same goes for Lopez and Axenrot. I'm going to miss Lopez, and I'm sure we all will...but I think Axenrot will have a great impact with Opeth in the future and I am looking forward to hearing the next recording with him. -IMO

...plus I saw his potential with my own eyes, he's not as bad as you make him out to be.

Darkness
05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
You just say that because...

you're GAY!

And you love George Michael.

You too, Pinky.

Except you love Wham.
This is true.

GR is listenable, but the lack of kick arse guitar riffs hurts it like you wouldn't believe, for me, anyway. I don't really care what any of you say, it's the mad evil riffing and acoustic lines that made Opeth what they are to me. Now the guitars are just kind of there, but theres plenty of keyboards!

Jude
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
This is true.

GR is listenable, but the lack of kick arse guitar riffs hurts it like you wouldn't believe

YES. There are almost no memorable riffs on the album, electric or acoustic.

, for me, anyway. I don't really care what any of you say, it's the mad evil riffing and acoustic lines that made Opeth what they are to me. Now the guitars are just kind of there, but theres plenty of keyboards!
Agreed. The heavy guitar playing is just kind of getting the job done, and the fantastic acoustic playing of the past is overtaken by keyboards.

Deth
05-26-2006, 07:27 PM
I like the riffs to The Grand Conjuration, GoP, Baying of the Hounds and Beneath the Mire. I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree.

Shadows
05-26-2006, 07:32 PM
GR is listenable, but the lack of kick arse guitar riffs hurts it like you wouldn't believe, for me, anyway. I don't really care what any of you say, it's the mad evil riffing and acoustic lines that made Opeth what they are to me. Now the guitars are just kind of there, but theres plenty of keyboards!
I disagree 100%. I love the riffs on GR like I do on every other album.

BurningSky
05-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I love Ghost Reveries...

The riffs in GoP and BotH are absolutely incredible (especially that one clean riff towards the end of BotH)...

I'm also really enjoying the acoustic stuff on this album...

TGC is pretty forgettable, though, I think most agree on that. Live, however, it is really awesome...

Darkness
05-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Really though guys, come on. Play GoP, then play Blackwater Park. There's almost no compariason. But I guess this all goes down to opinion.

vashts80
05-26-2006, 08:42 PM
No, it's Opeth as it was meant to be played. No cutting out like the single version...the whole 10 minutes.

I <3 the "whispered conjuration a belief takes form" riff. That riff is badass and very evil sounding, at least to me.

Jude
05-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Really though guys, come on. Play GoP, then play Blackwater Park. There's almost no compariason. But I guess this all goes down to opinion.
Heh, I think GR vs. BWP is more than a matter of opinion. It's a blowout.

Why the hell does everyone love that "whispered conjuration" riff? It sucks!

vashts80
05-26-2006, 09:04 PM
For me, it's because it's hard to seperate the rhythm of the riff while "singing". It's the same with most of the riffs in BWP's title track, it's just hard to do.

Darkness
05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree, I just didn't want to get jumped on by the GR fans.

Jude
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I agree, I just didn't want to get jumped on by the GR fans.
Ehh, whatever. BWP owns it. And BWP has way more memorable riffs. In GR they just dont' stand out (for the most part, there are a few that do) and the vocal melodies or something are taking the front seat. The guitar parts are often just boring.

Darkness
05-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Ehh, whatever. BWP owns it. And BWP has way more memorable riffs. In GR they just dont' stand out (for the most part, there are a few that do) and the vocal melodies or something are taking the front seat. The guitar parts are often just boring.
Yup yup. GR was all about vocals, then keyboards.

Carrionshine
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
If guitar riffing is your main arguement, Opeth are hasbeens that lost it after the Orchid and Morningrise eras.The guitar work on both of those blows everything else out of the water.But of coarse, Opeth have since vastly improved on many other things.Whatever.Every cd of theirs does something better than all the others, and GR is no exception.Opeth are probably one of the best examples of a band that has a fanbase that cant agree on their best album.You have the BWP crowd, the Orchid, Morningrise crowd, and the good ol' Still Life crowd.I'm sure there will be a GR crowd in time.It's all a matter of tastes.

gmoneyguy
05-26-2006, 11:25 PM
The riffs may not be there, but the harmonies and synth certainly are there.

Carrionshine
05-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Why the hell does everyone love that "whispered conjuration" riff? It sucks!

Personally, I take GR over BWP as a whole.If we were to compare individual songs, then maybe I'd pick BWP.I personally love to listen to albums from top to bottom without skipping or pausing or whatever.BWP vibes with me, then it gets to Dirge For November.Ugh.That song kills all the momentum for me.GR doesnt have a song like that.Which is why I find it to be a more enjoyable listen from top to bottom.

Killtacular
05-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Too bad Still Life owns 'em both!

Kage
05-27-2006, 02:16 AM
If guitar riffing is your main arguement, Opeth are hasbeens that lost it after the Orchid and Morningrise eras.The guitar work on both of those blows everything else out of the water.But of coarse, Opeth have since vastly improved on many other things.Whatever.Every cd of theirs does something better than all the others, and GR is no exception.Opeth are probably one of the best examples of a band that has a fanbase that cant agree on their best album.You have the BWP crowd, the Orchid, Morningrise crowd, and the good ol' Still Life crowd.I'm sure there will be a GR crowd in time.It's all a matter of tastes.
Give me a break, man. The guitar riffs on Orchid and Morningrise are basically random guitar harmonies. The two-guitar work on Still Life and Blackwater Park is mind-blowingly good.

GR is great; I'll agree, the guitar riffs are slightly less interesting sometimes, but it's still a great album. It just strives for something different, which is good. Besides, the lead work is incredible, and the keyboards add a great, if unfamiliar, element.

Shadius
05-27-2006, 07:38 AM
YES. There are almost no memorable riffs on the album, electric or acoustic.

Agreed. The heavy guitar playing is just kind of getting the job done, and the fantastic acoustic playing of the past is overtaken by keyboards.

It's not Opeth's fault you guys have poor musical memory, I guess.

(:<

And what's wrong with the keyboards?

Yeah, GoP is a fantastic song, while BP is a collection of evil riffs. no contest.

Jude
05-27-2006, 08:56 AM
If guitar riffing is your main arguement, Opeth are hasbeens that lost it after the Orchid and Morningrise eras.The guitar work on both of those blows everything else out of the water.

WHAT?!! MR and Orchid have some cool riffs, but come ON. There are way more memorable riffs on the later albums than on those two.

But of coarse, Opeth have since vastly improved on many other things.Whatever.Every cd of theirs does something better than all the others, and GR is no exception.Opeth are probably one of the best examples of a band that has a fanbase that cant agree on their best album.You have the BWP crowd, the Orchid, Morningrise crowd, and the good ol' Still Life crowd.I'm sure there will be a GR crowd in time.It's all a matter of tastes.
Still Life Crowd Represent \m/

Shadius: Nothing inherently wrong with keyboards. In fact I really like the way they were integrated into the heavy (and some soft) parts of the songs. But I don't like how they very sophisticated acoustic guitar playing Opeth used to always have has sort of taken a back seat to keyboard-laden soft sections.

Shadius
05-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I know what you mean, but like I say I don't mind it.

There's still so many melodies on the album it's easily comparable to their earlier releases. Just because the melodies and leads come more in the form of keyboards and vocals and less so in guitars than on other releases is only subjectively a bad thing.

I agree that in a rating for Opeth's best riffs GR would come somewhere mid ranged or near the bottom in general, but as for songwriting complexity and such it comes pretty damn close to the top for me.

Personally, I think SL and BP have Opeth's best riffs on them, closely followed by... well, everything else.

Darkness
05-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Maybe Mikaels finally realising what a great vocalist he is, and since we already recognized him as a great guitar player, he wanted us to see his full talent at vocals...

Well, probably not.

Jude
05-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe Mikaels finally realising what a great vocalist he is, and since we already recognized him as a great guitar player, he wanted us to see his full talent at vocals...

Well, probably not.
Bleh, he's always been good on vocals but never neglected guitar.

Darkness
05-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Untill now...

/evil laugh

Shadius
05-27-2006, 09:36 AM
He is vocally at his best on GR though. You can just tell how much stronger and more confident he is.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Beneath the Mire is EASILY the best track on GR , the solo is just so incredible.
For Still life .. i have to go with White Cluster

BWP is the worst album in my opinion :(

JamJar
05-27-2006, 03:23 PM

You are the first Opethian I've ever heard say that... wow.

Shadius
05-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Beneath the Mire is EASILY the best track on GR , the solo is just so incredible.
For Still life .. i have to go with White Cluster

What the...

You have/have heard all their albums and think it's their worst? That's so weird. lol

Seriously, Deliverance is better? Orchid is better? MAYH is better? Usually someone would find one of those albums worse for whatever reason.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 03:38 PM
lol MAYH is like .. probably the best album with Still life. BWP just seems to be missing something ... you Get more out of the other albums, i think. Bwp is probably the Most "pop" album .. but MAYH is definately the Most disharmonic Stuff they did , just love it so much . April Ethereral = Rape

**edit** : i own all they're albums

JamJar
05-27-2006, 03:40 PM
I agree that SL and MAYH are the best, but BWP closely follows behind. The main problem with the album IMO is The Funeral Portrait. That is my least favourite Opeth song along with Wreath, it really disrupts the album for me.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 03:41 PM
BWP is a powerful album nonetheless .. tracks like : the leper affinity and the drapery fall will like .. murder you in the night . but Still , SOMETHING is missing

Shadius
05-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I can't believe you like Deliverance more, you weirdo. There's clearly more than just something missing from that album.

Anyway, Damnation is clearly their "pop" album.

:p

Thresher
05-27-2006, 03:43 PM
BWP has "pop" guitar riffs. I think that's the main problem ..
They tried to go a lil more "basic" with the BWP album..
Basic is not opeth :P

Thresher
05-27-2006, 03:45 PM
lol then damnation is probably the Most Evil POP there is , ahaha
In my time of need and Death Whispers a lullaby are like .. evil sex.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Btw how can you have green day in your list of favourite bands :(

Shadius
05-27-2006, 03:49 PM
I used to love Green Day when I was a kid, and my girlfriend makes me listen to them still. (:

I went to go see them last year, they put on a good show. Fun poppy music.

Anyway, back to the point! There's no pop riffs on BP! But I can see what you mean by some riffs being more basic than on previous releases, having said that, I'd say Deliverance and Ghost Reveries have even more basic riffs.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 04:04 PM
:(!

BurningSky
05-27-2006, 04:16 PM
BWP has "pop" guitar riffs. I think that's the main problem ..
They tried to go a lil more "basic" with the BWP album..
Basic is not opeth :P

The Leper Affinity=basic:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thresher
05-27-2006, 04:23 PM
i don't mean all the tracks .. but in whole the album is based on a more steady kinda rythm. Leave TLA out if this .. a kickass track :D

Stoo
05-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Uh, what the hell are you talkin about? Pop.

gmoneyguy
05-27-2006, 04:37 PM
i don't mean all the tracks .. but in whole the album is based on a more steady kinda rythm. Leave TLA out if this .. a kickass track :D
I really question how much you know about theory.

Shattered_Future
05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Yea...dude, with all due respect, the tracks are anything but basic. Granted, they DO tend to follow the same tempo/time signature or whatever, but the riffing patterns change so much it's hard to call this album basic.

Oh, and BWP is my favorite album. So go die. :mad:

As for vocals...I still think Mikael was at his peak on BWP. Now, that's not the fanboy talking, it's based on the progression of his voice. Maybe it was the production, or age, or whatever, but he sounds ungodly evil on it.

Darkness
05-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Me to... theres more "pop" on GR. :confused:

Shattered_Future
05-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Now, to be fair, nothing Opeth has put out could be considered "pop"...

Simpler, maybe, is a better word.

gmoneyguy
Yea...dude, with all due respect, the tracks are anything but basic. Granted, they DO tend to follow the same tempo/time signature or whatever, but the riffing patterns change so much it's hard to call this album basic.

Oh, and BWP is my favorite album. So go die. :mad:

As for vocals...I still think Mikael was at his peak on BWP. Now, that's not the fanboy talking, it's based on the progression of his voice. Maybe it was the production, or age, or whatever, but he sounds ungodly evil on it.
I think his best growl are on Deliverance. Clean vocals I lean a little bit toward Damnation.

Shattered_Future
I really dislike his growls on Deliverance...they're still good, but they sound...hollow, almost.

gmoneyguy
05-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I really dislike his growls on Deliverance...they're still good, but they sound...hollow, almost.
I like them because of how evil they are. I may be the only one who thinks his growls are really evil on Deliverance.

Darkness
05-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Nope. I really like all his growls. Deliverance is no exception.

Shattered_Future
05-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I still think they're more evil on BWP, though almost nothing compares to the first chorus of By The Pain I See In Others.

gmoneyguy
05-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I still think they're more evil on BWP, though almost nothing compares to the first chorus of By The Pain I See In Others.
You got that right! :thumb: :chug:

Darkness
05-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, with that double bass it sounds sick.

Shattered_Future
05-27-2006, 04:56 PM
RIIIIISE TO SUBMISSIONNNNNN!

Goosebumps every time, man...

gmoneyguy
Yeah, with that double bass it sounds sick.
I really like how they double tracked his growls too.

Thresher
I really question how much you know about theory.

I have been writing music for 6 years .. i know what sounds appropriate :P

gmoneyguy
05-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I have been writing music for 6 years .. i know what sounds appropriate :PThat doesn't mean you know theory.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 05:02 PM
well ... either way .. everyone has his opinion on everything. you really can't tell which Opeth is the ""best"" . Cause there is not best, every album has it's pro's and con's , nothing you can do about that . But I can tell you that Mik&Peter gave that Extra effort on MAYH and SL

gmoneyguy
05-27-2006, 05:07 PM
well ... either way .. everyone has his opinion on everything. you really can't tell which Opeth is the ""best"" . Cause there is not best, every album has it's pro's and con's , nothing you can do about that . But I can tell you that Mik&Peter gave that Extra effort on MAYH and SL
But you can prove what is basic and whats not, and you are wrong.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
but i still think they're third observation is the sh*t :D

Thresher
05-27-2006, 05:11 PM
But you can prove what is basic and whats not, and you are wrong.

I'm not wrong .. you can't be 'wrong' when it comes to writing music .
I just tend to go for the more Evil&Dark sounding stuff..

gmoneyguy
05-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm not wrong .. you can't be 'wrong' when it comes to writing music .
I just tend to go for the more Evil&Dark sounding stuff..
I was talking about what how basic the BWP is.

Sleepy
05-27-2006, 05:23 PM
I was talking about what how basic the BWP is.

Basic does not equate to bad. This is coming from a Technical Death Metal whore, too. :rolleyes:

My personal favorite will remain Still Life for all eternity, though, I'm afraid. It's just beyond awesome.

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Blackwater Park is their best album. Hands down

BurningSky
05-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't understand why there is so much hate on The Funeral Portrait. Dirge for November, sure, because it's a bit boring, but TFP is kickass. Some of the coolest riffs on the album...

Thresher
05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
For accoustics , TFP is teh sh*t

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't understand why there is so much hate on The Funeral Portrait. Dirge for November, sure, because it's a bit boring, but TFP is kickass. Some of the coolest riffs on the album...
cuz it sucks fool

Nazi Bastard
05-27-2006, 05:57 PM
MAYH = The best. Orchid is right behind it.

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 05:58 PM
MAYH = The best. Orchid is right behind it.
Yeah. It's great.

Thresher
05-27-2006, 05:58 PM
MAYH "IS" the best ...

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 06:01 PM
MAYH "IS" the best ...
DEMON OF THHEEE FALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlll

Sleepy
05-27-2006, 06:02 PM
For some reason, I never really got into MAYH. I guess I prefer the constant 8-12 minute songs. :rolleyes:

Still Life > Damnation > Orchid for me.

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 06:02 PM
For some reason, I never really got into MAYH. I guess I prefer the constant 8-12 minute songs. :rolleyes:

Still Life > Damnation > Orchid for me.
you lie

Shattered_Future
05-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I dislike MAYH...it's too inconsitent for me.

Sleepy
05-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I dislike MAYH...it's too inconsitent for me.

Yay! Someone who agrees with me. :)

Stoo
05-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I can't really put the albums in order of my favourites.

Whatever I feel like listening to at that moment.

I recently completed my collection of all 8. :cool:

I've said that like a million times in here.

BurningSky
05-27-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't have a favorite album either, it varies from day to day...

Right now, I'm listening to Blackwater Park, yesterday it was all about Ghost Reveries. Tomorrow, who knows..?

Nazi Bastard
I consider MAYH to be the most consistent :-\. It's probably my favorite concept album.

FolkVikingFan
Yay! Someone who agrees with me. :)
no he doesn't. He's just drunk or really stoned.

Shattered_Future
05-27-2006, 06:09 PM

Or perfectly fine. :thumb:

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Or perfectly fine. :thumb:
doubt it. Maybe your reasoning is shattered?

Sleepy
05-27-2006, 06:10 PM
I recently completed my collection of all 8. :cool:

I've said that like a million times in here.

Gives you a sense of pride, don't it? :thumb:

No amount of intoxicating substances will change that. What's your deal, man?

FolkVikingFan
05-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Gives you a sense of pride, don't it? :thumb:

No amount of intoxicating substances will change that. What's your deal, man?
im drunk, if i wasn't. id still be drunk fool

Sleepy
05-27-2006, 06:12 PM
im drunk, if i wasn't. id still be drunk fool

Oh...well that makes perfect sense, then, seeing as you lack the ability to form a coherent sentence. :rolleyes:

You have my deepest condolences for tomorrow morning. It will not be fun.

Carrionshine
05-27-2006, 08:07 PM
In my opinion.....

Orchid is the most beautiful
Morningrise has the best guitar work
MAYH hands down has the best lyrics
Still Life has the best balance of heavy and acoustic
BWP is the most sinister sounding album
Deliverance is the heaviest
Damnation creates the best atmospheres
Ghost Reveries has the best harmony between the vocals and the music.

Shadows
05-27-2006, 08:10 PM
That sounds pretty good, although I'd say several albums are in the running for best guitar work.

Deth
05-27-2006, 08:50 PM
In my opinion.....

Orchid is the most beautiful
Morningrise has the best guitar work
MAYH hands down has the best lyrics
Still Life has the best balance of heavy and acoustic
BWP is the most sinister sounding album
Deliverance is the heaviest
Damnation creates the best atmospheres
Ghost Reveries has the best harmony between the vocals and the music.
Uh, could you make that any more perfect? Absolutely the same for me.

Shadius
05-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I can only say that I think Deliverance and Orchid are weaker than their other releases, and that's about it.

Orchid and Deliverance fanboys unite!

I think each album has a significant factor or aspect about it that puts it above the others besides those two.

Not to say they're bad albums...

Carrionshine
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Anyone here ever hear that Dan Swano/Akerfeldt song called "Mordet i Grottan"?

It was supposedly from a sideproject they both started a while back called Sorskogen which never fully came to life.

Anyway, the song is AWESOME!!!!The chorus on it later became the chorus of To Rid the Disease.I'm not sure on what the rule for posting music on here is, so I wont post it unless it is ok.