PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

vashts80
03-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Live BWP is amazing. I think the acoustic part from the 2:50 mark or soemthing like that to like 5:00 could be shorter, but the rest of the song is amazing.

ok lateralus
03-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Still Life > BWP

But sometimes I doubt it

TojesDolan
03-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Meh... I prefer Blackwater Park's lyrical content and value over Still Life. And I still think Still life is a much... more trebley album.

ok lateralus
03-19-2006, 02:47 PM
BWP's production is much better than Still Life's... Morningrise is the only Opeth album where the ****ty production works in its favor. Overall though Still Life seems to have more depth and beautiful sections, and tracks 5-7 on BWP may be a stretch of Opeth's least interesting music.

NymphetamineX
03-19-2006, 03:30 PM
By the mere fact that Blackwater Park contains the songs Bleak and The Drapery Falls, it's automatically better than all their others.

Naw, not really, but those are my two favorite songs by Opeth. Damnation is a fantastic album, and Still Life is also. I still haven't listened to too much pre-BWP stuff, but since it's Opeth, I know it will be amazing.

UpperDecker
03-19-2006, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=NymphetamineX]By the mere fact that Blackwater Park contains the songs Bleak and The Drapery Falls, it's automatically better than all their others.QUOTE]

I really can't see whats so wonderful about Bleak. The Drapery Falls is better than Bleak but still doesn't make Blackwater Park better than all other albums. It is a really good cd but I wouldn't say their best. I don't wanna start another best cd discussion so i won't even state which one i think is their best.

NP: Tool - Third Eye

Darkness
03-19-2006, 03:44 PM
I really can't see whats so wonderful about Bleak. The Drapery Falls is better than Bleak but still doesn't make Blackwater Park better than all other albums. It is a really good cd but I wouldn't say their best. I don't wanna start another best cd discussion so i won't even state which one i think is their best.

This is true.

TojesDolan
03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
It has it's moments. Nonetheless, every album has a particular flaw that doesn't make it more special than the others, but every album has a little something that makes it shine above the others.

for instance, I like how Deliverance is very, very heavy and all that jazz.

JamJar
03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the songs Dunkelheit, I'd listen to them now but I've been forced onto my computer with about 64mb ram which decides to reset itself if music is played on it =/. And the girls, money etc should be in your mind any time.

The first 4 tracks of BWP > Still Life > The last four tracks of BWP.

NymphetamineX
03-19-2006, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=NymphetamineX]By the mere fact that Blackwater Park contains the songs Bleak and The Drapery Falls, it's automatically better than all their others.QUOTE]

Well, right beneath the part you quoted, I said "naw, not really." If I truly meant the part you quoted, that'd make me some elitist nazi bastard, which I'm not. I was just kidding around. 2 songs cannot make an album better than any other album, because they're just part of an album, and can't be thought of as more than a part, even though they are huge parts.

I'm not really sure why I love Bleak either, maybe it's Steve Wilson's guest vocals, maybe I was brainwashed at a young age. But The Drapery Falls is my all-time favorite Opeth song, hands-down.

And it's scientifically proven that no one can pick the best Opeth album, save Jesus and Napoleon, but they won't tell us.

Darkness
03-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the songs Dunkelheit, I'd listen to them now but I've been forced onto my computer with about 64mb ram which decides to reset itself if music is played on it =/. And the girls, money etc should be in your mind any time.
Cool! :chug:

Jude
03-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Still Life is way more consistent than BWP. BWP is front loaded, then takes a drop in quality and then comes back (with a bang) at the end but Still Life is solid the whole way through.

Besides lyrically I think Still Life is way more interesting. The story is great. BWP just has some loosely connected metaphors running through it.

UpperDecker
03-19-2006, 03:56 PM
It has it's moments. Nonetheless, every album has a particular flaw that doesn't make it more special than the others, but every album has a little something that makes it shine above the others.

for instance, I like how Deliverance is very, very heavy and all that jazz.

Thats a great way of putting it. Every album has something that their other albums doesn't exactly have. I would agree that Deliverance is their heaviest but it also has alot of soft parts. One of my favorite soft parts is in A Fair Judgement. The part where Michael sings ("Leave it be, it was meant for me") all the way through that acoustic section is just amazing.

NP: Sepultura - Propaganda

MidnightRider
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Still Life > BWP overall, based mainly on consistency. But who cares, I love both.

JamJar
03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I've been digging MAYH recently. Demon Of The Fall, When, April Ethereal and Karma ftw. I love the dark evil atmosphere on it. I can actually stand the fact that in the majority of the songs there's no real motif or reoccuring themes. I would probably appreciate Morningrise more if the production wasn't so horrible.

Darkness
03-19-2006, 04:04 PM
I've been digging MAYH recently. Demon Of The Fall, When, April Ethereal and Karma ftw. I love the dark evil atmosphere on it. I can actually stand the fact that in the majority of the songs there's no real motif or reoccuring themes.
For MAYH? You know it's a concept album, right?

ok lateralus
03-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Still Life is way more consistent than BWP. BWP is front loaded, then takes a drop in quality and then comes back (with a bang) at the end but Still Life is solid the whole way through.

Besides lyrically I think Still Life is way more interesting. The story is great. BWP just has some loosely connected metaphors running through it.

Exactly! That's the best description Ive seen of how BWP is inferior. Still, those first 4 songs and the title track are amazing. and even though it has that stretch of lesser material, most mainstream bands these days be extremely lucky to make an album that good.

Darkness
03-19-2006, 04:24 PM
No mainstream band could make an album as good as BWP.

Look at my post count!

JamJar
03-19-2006, 04:29 PM
For MAYH? You know it's a concept album, right?

Yeah. I really did word that wrongly didn't I. I know waht I'm trying to say but I really don't know how to word it.Like in Demon Of The Fall, there are no real recurring themes within the song but more of lots of cool ideas thrown together and I prefer it to Morningrise due to there being better links between the ideas.

Darkness
03-19-2006, 04:31 PM
The album tells a story, dude.

Damn, now you made me ruin my awesome post count. :angry:

Tyr
03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
It's better to ruin your post count sooner than later (or something) :rolleyes:

JamJar
03-19-2006, 04:36 PM
The album tells a story, dude.

Damn, now you made me ruin my awesome post count. :angry:

I know!!!

/gives up trying to get point across.

Flynn
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I've been digging MAYH recently. Demon Of The Fall, When, April Ethereal and Karma ftw. I love the dark evil atmosphere on it. I can actually stand the fact that in the majority of the songs there's no real motif or reoccuring themes.

You know the song titles are mentioned in the song before-hand, right? Even the last track, Epilogue, ends with with the opening track, Prologue. Even though Epilogue is an instrumental, it still has lyrics. If you buy the CD, the booklet alone is worth it. My Arms, Your Hearse is the most remarkable concept album I've ever heard.

''There it was. The final destiny. A sunrise that never came, still the nightlamp that never faded away. Farewell was the word, and the afterglow was the brave morning. Rising and telling everyone about the beauty of it's PROLOGUE.''

Darkness
03-19-2006, 05:40 PM
That's cuz you've never heard Dream Neon Black.

/fanboy :D

Tyr
03-19-2006, 05:42 PM
MAYH is one of my favourite albums of all time. It's in my Opeth top three.

Flynn
03-19-2006, 05:56 PM
MAYH is one of my favourite albums of all time. It's in my Opeth top three.

Nice: :thumb: It's my favorite Opeth album at the moment.

Shadows
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm an Orchid fanboy!

Flynn
03-19-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm an Orchid fanboy!

I'll drink to that! :chug: Orchid used to hail my #1 spot, I still absolutely love the album though.

Killtacular
03-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I need to listen to MAYH more. I never really gave it a fair chance.

NymphetamineX
03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Not to be ignorant or anything... but where is the thread title from? I saw that line on a t-shirt, but don't know where it originated.

Killtacular
03-19-2006, 06:26 PM
The t-shirt.

NymphetamineX
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
The t-shirt.

... Oh. I thought it was from a song or something. Thanks.

*edit* 100th post! Yaaay.

Stormrider
03-19-2006, 06:33 PM
So today I saw MAYH and Orchid in an HMV...but, I couldnt buy it...

Have anyone of you ever seen MAYH in a store ?

Killtacular
03-19-2006, 06:36 PM
All I've seen is Ghost Reveries and a singular copy of Damnation (which is now gone).

They've got Ghost Reveries at Wal*Mart, of all places.
Damned Roadrunner.

Tyr
03-19-2006, 06:40 PM
MAYH was the first Opeth album I bought. Strangely enough, it was a lot easier to find a few years back, at least here in Sweden.

=-fukifiknow-=
03-19-2006, 06:50 PM
lets talk opeth concepts, i have all thier CD's (and adore them all, morningrise ftw though)
all i know is that GR is an occult theme
discuss

Killtacular
03-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Only two albums are concept albums:
MAYH and Still Life. Ghost Reveries started out as one, but was soon abandoned so Mikael could be greedy and eat chocolate.

TojesDolan
03-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Only two albums are concept albums:
MAYH and Still Life. Ghost Reveries started out as one, but was soon abandoned so Mikael could be greedy and eat chocolate.
Elaborate plzkthx

Anyways... Yes I tried to find connections on GR, but all I could find was a pretty common scene (which by Opeth Standards a forest isn't that much ofa rare find)... and I didn't get the "Rose Mary's letter" bit in "Isolation Years".

Unless of course we're talking abgout Jesus or something on that line...Other than that it all confused me and made me angry and upset. I'll go tune my guitar right now thanks you so very much.

Flynn
03-19-2006, 07:10 PM

I bought every Opeth album at FYE, except for Morningrise. But they did have it there.

Tyr
03-19-2006, 07:19 PM
MAYH is about a ghost that, in the beginning witnesses his own funeral. He then continues to find out that everyone around him are empty and broken.

Still Life is about a man who, after being exiled for years, returns to his home. There he finds out that the woman he loves is engaged to another, while still being in love with the protagonist.

EDIT: to =-fukifiknow-=

=-fukifiknow-=
03-19-2006, 07:51 PM
^ thank you very much, very good to know

Killtacular
03-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Elaborate plzkthx
Well, Mikael's from Sweden, and as such, he loves chocolate.

Jude
03-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Shall we have people give their versions of the story on Still Life? I think a lot of details are in the imagination, so it should be interesting (for example, most people think Melinda is married to someone else, including me, but it just occured to me that maybe she became a nun - because of t he line "a harlot of God." Wouldn't that be funny?)

=-fukifiknow-=
03-19-2006, 09:19 PM
the concept for MAYH is very intruiging

Stormrider
03-19-2006, 09:46 PM
I bought every Opeth album at FYE, except for Morningrise. But they did have it there.

I just felt like putting both albums in my jacket and walking out of the store :(

I was depressed....

Killtacular
03-19-2006, 10:08 PM
You should've done it. Then you would really be cool. But that's granted that you smoke cigarettes, too.

Stormrider
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm 13 :p

And no I don't smoke.

penelope weird hands
03-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I must admit, I've never really made an effort to identify lyrical meaning in Opeth's music.
All the time my primary focus was the music, and although I've listened to every album atleast a dozen times, the lyrics always stood behind the music.
Not to mention having to get used to the growls and screams.

But now that the songs really start to flow for me (it was hard listening in the beginning - being a metal n00b), and the fact that you guys have mentioned the lyrical concepts and connections I'll have to check out the lyrics.

Jude: I'll attempt a Still Life overview, if I have the time.

Dunkelheit: <3 <3 <3 for the songs ..and with me being an el337 sorcerer of some kind, you will have your power, wealth and m-... women in no time. :naughty:

Stoo
03-20-2006, 06:28 AM

I bought MAYH and Orchid on the same day in HMV.

Stormrider
03-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Hmm, I probably will end up ordering them because they were 30.99$ each :-/

NP Death - Crystal Mountain

UpperDecker
03-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Hmm, I probably will end up ordering them because they were 30.99$ each :-/

NP Death - Crystal Mountain

I bought most of their cd's on Amazon cause i couldn't find them. Two of them were like 30 bucks for me too. Stupid imports. The cd's were well worth the money but still, no cd should cost that much.

Stormrider
03-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Well, I saw an import in the same store for 51 $. Who the he will buy that.

Jude
03-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Amazon.com = Opeth CDs for about 11 dollars American

Stormrider
03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
What ?!

I went on Amazon.ca, and most of the cd's I saw were like 26$. I would order from the US but it costs a lot more because of shipping and the customs probably.

NP Death - Leprosy

Stoo
03-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Amazon.com = Opeth CDs for about 11 dollars American
Still waiting for Deliverance & Damnation...

...12 Weeks and counting. :angry:

Jude
03-20-2006, 09:40 AM

Holy crap...I got all mine in less than a week and a half!

gmoneyguy
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Opeth rocked so hard last night. My head and throat still hurts from the show. Mikael had us play "guess the heavy metal riff" during their encore.

Tyr
03-20-2006, 10:14 AM
That's sweet! What riffs did he play?

gmoneyguy
03-20-2006, 10:26 AM
That's sweet! What riffs did he play?
some Deep Purple, Metallica, and even G'n'R. But he was like "fuck G'n'R this is a rip off that we use in our song deliverance. Thats what they played for their encore.

Tyr
03-20-2006, 12:33 PM
So, they didn't play 'Demon of the Fall' as an encore. Did they play it at all?

Moses
03-20-2006, 12:35 PM
I think they did during the first half of the tour.

gmoneyguy
03-20-2006, 12:51 PM
So, they didn't play 'Demon of the Fall' as an encore. Did they play it at all?
No, they played The Amen Corner instead.

Tyr
03-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Ah, I see. 'The Amen Corner' is also a very good song, but I could of course say that about most Opeth songs.

JamJar
03-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I would rather get Demon than Deliverence. I like Deliverence a lot but there is just something special I love about Demon.

gmoneyguy
03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I can't complain I was ten feet away from mikael almost the show. Everyonce and while walk to the edge of the stage during a solo. I was lucky that he walked up to right infront of me.

UpperDecker
03-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Geez!, thats horrible. You can check where your stuff is at somewhere on that site. Sounds like they screwed it up to me.

penelope weird hands
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
I hope they play something other than Demon Of The Fall as an encore when I see them.
It's a great song, but there are much better, longer and heavier songs that they can play.

imo

Deth
03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
But it's such a part of the show now that's its just expected for better or worse.

Shadows
03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
En Holdt Satanisk Ritual Under en Gråter Nordlig Isenmånen idet det Kristen Blø for lidenskapen av det Pagan Blad!

ok lateralus
03-20-2006, 08:13 PM
huh?

Shadows
03-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Oops.

I'm an Orchid fanboy!

Stormrider
03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
AHH ! I want Orchid badly :(

NP Blind Guardian - Fly

Kingofdudes
03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
I saw Opeth at New Orleans last night. Mikael was cracking jokes left and right

"We are here for a couple of reasons"
"#1 is because we love you"
*people cheer*
"#2 we want to get laid"
"#3 we like to make money"

I loved the show, I was hoping they would play Master's Apprentice, but they didnt. "The Grand Conjuration" made up for it, such an intense song live.

Dark Tranquillity put on one hellova show. Stanne was all over the place, at some points he was almost in the crowd with us. Their set list was mainly Character and Damage Done songs, but they played 1 song from The Gallery.

Devildriver were good, but their fans piss me off like nothing else.

eighty d
03-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I would rather get Demon than Deliverence. I like Deliverence a lot but there is just something special I love about Demon.

I'm the opposite. I love Demon, but Deliverance was such an amazing closing song. That final repeated riff... it was surreal.

Flynn
03-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I hope they play something other than Demon Of The Fall as an encore when I see them.
It's a great song, but there are much better, longer and heavier songs that they can play.

imo

They played Deliverance when I saw them, it was awesome...but I would of killed to see Demon Of The Fall instead. :angry:

Darkness
03-20-2006, 10:44 PM
I've now seen Deliverance live twice, and Demon of The Fall live once. I'm satisfied. :cool:

Flynn
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I've seen Deliverance once and Face Of Melinda once as an encore...I'm happy. :)

Otherside
03-20-2006, 10:48 PM
They played Deliverance when I saw them, it was awesome...but I would of killed to see Demon Of The Fall instead. :angry:

Hehehe I got both <3

=-fukifiknow-=
03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
/still hasn't seen opeth, it will be a holy experience though, if i meet them i will pee myself

Flynn
03-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Opeth plays so awesome live, they play every song so perfect, It's scary. (With the exception of When)

=-fukifiknow-=
03-21-2006, 12:27 AM
^whats wrong with when? i'm starting rock med, since opeth isnt a mosh type band and has a very well behaved fan base hopefully nobody gets hurt so i can just watch the show and meet the band afterward

Slapping Penguin
03-21-2006, 01:49 AM
En Holdt Satanisk Ritual Under en Gråter Nordlig Isenmånen idet det Kristen Blø for lidenskapen av det Pagan Blad!

I have no idea what this is but I love languages, let me guess.

Something like

hold a Satantic Ritual under something something something the Christain blood for the something pagan's?

PS: Opeth on the 25th of April.

TojesDolan
03-21-2006, 02:30 AM
I'm hopefully seeing them on September.

!!!!

Hopefully, unless college gets awfuly gay and I can't go on Sunday because I have class extremely early on Monday, or super duper boring homework before that day. Nonetheless, I prefer spending a whole day like a zombie rather than missing Opeth.

=-fukifiknow-=
03-21-2006, 02:52 AM
^nah, you'll be on a post-opeth high

i'm dying to see em, if i could choose their playlist, they'd be up there for a week

gmoneyguy
03-21-2006, 03:38 AM
^whats wrong with when? i'm starting rock med, since opeth isnt a mosh type band and has a very well behaved fan base hopefully nobody gets hurt so i can just watch the show and meet the band afterward
Not at the show I was at. The was a mosh goign on there, and some one threw a hat on stage at Mikael.

penelope weird hands
03-21-2006, 03:56 AM

21st for me. :chug:
Getting my ticket tomorrow..!

Oh, yes. They will deliver down under. :smash:

Not at the show I was at. The was a mosh goign on there, and some one threw a hat on stage at Mikael.

That sucks, if they threw it at him.
Hope there aren't too many macho crazies when I see them.

gmoneyguy
03-21-2006, 04:11 AM
That sucks, if they threw it at him.
Hope there aren't too many macho crazies when I see them.
It looked deliberate to me.

Darkness
03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Face Of Melinda once as an encore...I'm happy. :)
You win. :upset:

Chu
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh no.. Not a hat!

Shadows
03-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Man, I really wish I could see Opeth sometime. :(

I have no idea what this is but I love languages, let me guess.

Something like

hold a Satantic Ritual under something something something the Christain blood for the something pagan's?

That was surprisingly close. It's Norwegian for "A held satanic ritual under the frozen northern icemoon while the Christians bleed for the passion of the pagan blade".

One of the sing titles I used on that rockstargame.com thing I just joined. I'm a Norwegian industrial band. :)

Stormrider
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Nive avatar ShadowsFallen.

Not to suck up to anyone (you know who you are :p ) But I'm realy liking Face of Melinda.

Tyr
03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
I like Face of Melinda, too.

Jude
03-21-2006, 06:25 PM
It's my favorite Opeth song.

Det_Nosnip
03-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Who would you be sucking up to? Opeth? :p

Stormrider
03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
No I was reffering to Dunkelheit...I dont know if he noticed though :-/

UpperDecker
03-21-2006, 07:24 PM
I gotta pull a Opeth's heaviest song poll right now.
My vote goes to Deliverance all the way.

ok lateralus
03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Master's Apprentices or BTPISIO

Flynn
03-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Karma.

ok lateralus
03-21-2006, 07:28 PM
..or Wreath or Deliverance

Stormrider
03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Flynn, (Or anyone else for that matter) Mind sending me Karma ?

I've seen you talk about that song in here a lot but never heard it.

twinky_123@hotmail.com

Thanks If anyone decides to do it. :)

pixiesfanyo
03-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I really like the song where they do the heavy to the acoustic part.

Darkness
03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
It's my favorite Opeth song.
:chug:

Moses
03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
I really like the song where they do the heavy to the acoustic part.
What song is that?:confused: Never heard that in my life.

Darkness
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
^ I think he meens he likes every Opeth song, because almost all songs go from heavy to acoustic, or vice versa.

/saves Moses from another thread kill

Edit to post underneath:

Fine, kill the Opeth thread. See if I care...

Moses
03-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Shut up man...

=-fukifiknow-=
03-21-2006, 10:33 PM
i second Karma fo sho.

Darkness
03-21-2006, 10:35 PM
i second Karma fo sho.
Damnit.

TojesDolan
03-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Flynn, (Or anyone else for that matter) Mind sending me Karma ?

I've seen you talk about that song in here a lot but never heard it.

twinky_123@hotmail.com

Thanks If anyone decides to do it. :)
I'll do it man, no problem.

And yes pixiesfanyo, Opeth is about 99.4% all acoustic then hard part.

Darkness
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
^I LOVE that avatar man!

Moses
03-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I was about to say the same thing.

TojesDolan
03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks. :)

It was originally going to shift from the girl in the Lamentations DVD to the Still life picture to the MorningRise castle/building, but it seemed like too much animation, so I just kept the burning effect from the first two and added some effect in Ulead.

It was good times making it.

=-fukifiknow-=
03-21-2006, 11:43 PM
^ amazing avatar, i'm not computer savy enough to make such art

Tyr
03-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Really sweet avatar!

Oh, by the way, Karma is the heaviest, I think.

Stormrider
03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks Tojes :)

I listened to Karma before for the first time....awsome song !

NP Death - Empty Words

TojesDolan
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Yes. That was the first heavy Opeth song I heard, and the first one that really got me into Opeth.

The acoustic riff that goes with "You've got nothing more to find... you've got nothing more to lose" Is in my opinion, the niftiest moment of the song.

Shadows
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm finally starting to really love Morningrise. Advent has to be one of my favorite Opeth songs. I still find the cover art rather depressing though.

And man, this new Fragments of Unbecoming album slays!

Deth
03-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Advent is a fantastic song with no dull moments I think.

I find Morningrise to be more emotional that Orchid or MAYH, but that's just me.

Shadows
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I think is the most emotional Opeth album ever. But what do I know, I'm an Orchid fanboy!

Stormrider
03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Advent is an awsome song. Very fun to play along to.

Orchid and MAYH are on my birthday list. I just found them on amazon.ca for 18.99 :D

Shadows
03-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Prepare yourself for 51 minutes of pure melodic death mayhem. STERLING BLACK ICON IS HERE! \m/ :angry: \m/

Killtacular
03-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Easy there, slick. We wouldn't want you blowing a gasket.

An a slightly unrelated note, I've heard one of Agalloch's new songs. It's good.

Det_Nosnip
03-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Serenity Painted Death would be up there as far as Opeth's heaviest IMO.

I don't really feel like anything off of Morningrise would make the heavy poll. To be honest, when I listen to that record, it never really feels "heavy" in the sense that some of the latter albums are. Could be because Mikael's growls hadn't fully developed by that point, and also because the riffing was so melodic.

I'm Charming
03-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Prepare yourself for 51 minutes of pure melodic death mayhem. STERLING BLACK ICON IS HERE! \m/ :angry: \m/

Ben what happened to your large avatar?

Shadows
03-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Some mod took it away from me. :(

Sph
03-23-2006, 06:48 AM
That sucks, it was awesome.

UpperDecker
03-23-2006, 07:33 AM
I stated before that Orchid and Morningrise were the best. I think differently now. Now i will say Morningrise and Blackwater Park are the best. So here it goes.
Morningrise
Blackwater Park
Still Life
Deliverance
Damnation
My Arms, Your Hearse
Orchid
Ghost Reveries (boo except GOP)

Shadius
03-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I totally don't understand the Ghost Reveries hating. I still listen to all Opeth's albums regulary bar Orchid, which I think has fairly rubbish songwriting (riff writing is great, mind you). Then again, I'm sure a lot of people think Orchid has brilliant songwriting.

My conclusion is that these albums are Opeth's Masterpieces as far as consistancy goes;
Still Life
Ghost Reveries
Damnation
My Arms, Your hearse
Blackwater Park

And these albums are slightly weaker (though may contain two or three excellent songs);
Morningrise
Deliverance
Orchid

I do think Morningrise is a consistant album though.. And I see why everyone rates it so highly, but I just can't get over how Advent and Necter feel like incomplete Opeth songs without Mikael's stronger clean vocals.

I sort of feel like Opeth's true style is the one they adopted after MAYH, combining that more dissonant sound. I also feel like if I want some more Maiden influenced melodic death metal, I'll listen to In Flames seeing as they have way more energy.

You know, I'd quite like to see them rework the Morningrise songs actually, maybe some Orchid ones too, give them a bit more energy and change the structures a bit to make them into better songs, more clean vocals and repetition and cut down on longer instrumental breaks and such. (I'm sure many fans would hate this idea, though) Even when they play the songs live it dosn't look like they have has much energy playing the old stuff.

JamJar
03-23-2006, 10:30 AM
You know, I'd quite like to see them rework the Morningrise songs actually, maybe some Orchid ones too, give them a bit more energy and change the structures a bit to make them into better songs, more clean vocals and repetition and cut down on longer instrumental breaks and such. (I'm sure many fans would hate this idea, though) Even when they play the songs live it dosn't look like they have has much energy playing the old stuff.

Hell yes, I'd love that idea! (But TBYF is perfect)

My album order goes:

Still Life
Blackwater Park
Damnation
My Arms Your Hearse
Ghost Reveries
Deliverence
Morningrise
(I'm still yet to get all of Orchid)

How often do we compile these lists?

the2stranger
03-23-2006, 10:33 AM
^

every once in a while someone just decides it's list time :p

Stoo
03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Hell yes, I'd love that idea! (But TBYF is perfect)

My album order goes:

Still Life
Blackwater Park
Damnation
My Arms Your Hearse
Ghost Reveries
Deliverence
Morningrise
(I'm still yet to get all of Orchid)

How often do we compile these lists?
To often.

I have never done it. :)

Jude
03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Bleh I'm not into the lists.

But yeah, you have to agree that no matter what you think, GR has way better songwriting than Orchid and Morningrise (I personally like MR a lot more, but the songwriting is still EXTREMELY amateurish). The songs are just riffs strung together, essentially. The later material has much more sophistication and thought given to structure, etc.

Prince of Darkness
03-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Ghost Reveries is their best imo.

I'v heard all the albums, and LOVE all of them except Morningrise and I am yet to hear Orchid, but GR just has this warm tone that I can't get away from. I can't listen to their other albums in the same way anymore, because the tone is different...

List

Ghost Reveries
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Diliverance/Damnation(Can't put them up agaist each other)
My Arms, your Hearse

MidnightRider
03-23-2006, 03:08 PM
You know, I'd quite like to see them rework the Morningrise songs actually

I wouldn't, I think they're perfect how they are.

Tyr
03-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Serenity Painted Death would be up there as far as Opeth's heaviest IMO.
Definitely one their heaviest, and also one of my favourite Opeth songs.

Cardboard Headgear
03-24-2006, 03:51 AM
Ok this isn't Opeth related but hopefully you guys will enjoy this song as much as I do, it's called Room of Angel from the Silent Hill 4 soundtrack, composed by Akira Yamaoka, and it's one of the most beautiful, haunting things I've ever heard. If you can't find it to download it anywhere, you can listen to it on my Samspace page at myspace.com/shamus . Sorry to ramble, but I can't get over this song. The beginning is so ominous sounding! AHHHHH SO GOOD. Listening to this song is also the best experience I've had while being high, even trumping the time I was playing videogames that never existed in my head.

Crysiss
03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't, I think they're perfect how they are.

The production isn't too good IMO. Some songs just bother me but the songwriting is awesome.

NP. Death-Crystal Mountain

Deth
03-24-2006, 11:11 AM
The only problem I have with the production is that the bass drums are basically nonexistant.

Welcome to MX Crysiss :).

Death ftw

Crysiss
03-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I've got no idea what ftw means

IMO, The most boring opeth album for me is Still Life. Granted its a great album and all, I love Face Of Melinda,but the songwriting feels like it was thought out too much. Like it was forced.

Deth
03-24-2006, 11:29 AM
ftw = for the win

Still Life is by far my favorite actually, and I only find Moonlapse Vertigo to be a weak link.

What's your album of choice by the way?

Crysiss
03-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Hmm...Blackwater Park is great, Morningrise is epic, deliverance is energetic, etc

Cant really choose. I see all Opeth albums in a different terms. They're all great in different ways but i've been listening alot to Morningrise lately.

I prefer morningrise as of now:thumb:

Tyr
03-24-2006, 06:16 PM
My favourite albums are Still Life, MAYH and Blackwater Park, in that order.

Flynn
03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Cant really choose. I see all Opeth albums in a different terms. They're all great in different ways but i've been listening alot to Morningrise lately.

I prefer morningrise as of now:thumb:

Great album. I usually get into it this time of year, once it starts to get nice out, great music for spring. :)

eighty d
03-24-2006, 06:20 PM
ftw = for the win

Still Life is by far my favorite actually, and I only find Moonlapse Vertigo to be a weak link.

What's your album of choice by the way?

Moonlapse Vertigo's not so bad. The final vocal part of that song is probably my favorite clean vocal melody in any Opeth song.

Crysiss
03-24-2006, 06:21 PM
123. During the Early winter, I get into the more doomier feeling stuff. I absolutely loved Still Life during that time. But right now, i can barely listen to it without getting bored.

What does that say in your avatar? Fringements Unbegoaling?

TojesDolan
03-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Ok this isn't Opeth related but hopefully you guys will enjoy this song as much as I do, it's called Room of Angel from the Silent Hill 4 soundtrack, composed by Akira Yamaoka, and it's one of the most beautiful, haunting things I've ever heard. If you can't find it to download it anywhere, you can listen to it on my Samspace page at myspace.com/shamus . Sorry to ramble, but I can't get over this song. The beginning is so ominous sounding! AHHHHH SO GOOD. Listening to this song is also the best experience I've had while being high, even trumping the time I was playing videogames that never existed in my head.
Some sendage would be good, you know...

*winkorlando677@hotmail.comwink*

What does that say in your avatar? Fringements Unbegoaling?

Fragments of Unbecoming. :) Welcome to the Opeth MX based subforum.

Crysiss
03-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Some sendage would be good, you know...

*winkorlando677@hotmail.comwink*

I've heard music from the SH4 soundtrack. They've all got great Titles for the song, but the songs arent great IMO.

Also, you got a nice avatar dood

Flynn
03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo's not so bad. The final vocal part of that song is probably my favorite clean vocal melody in any Opeth song.

Moonlapse Vertigo is one of my favorite tracks on Still Life, great song.

Stormrider
03-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but although Benighted is great, I love the acoustics, the vocals bother me. I think its the timings. If that makes any sense :-/

I'de have to listen to it again...

TojesDolan
03-24-2006, 07:34 PM
I haven't listened to Benighted for quite a while.

You give me ideas, man.

Crazy ideas.

*goes to winamp and puts on Benighted*

EDIT: Forgot to thank Cryssis for the compliment.

Thanks.

Crysiss
03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I haven't listened to Benighted for quite a while.

You give me ideas, man.

Crazy ideas.

*goes to winamp and puts on Benighted*

EDIT: Forgot to thank Cryssis for the compliment.

Thanks.

No Prob

I used to love Benighted. I have the same complaint about the vocals too.

np. Mayhem-Funeral Fog

Det_Nosnip
03-24-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about....I love the vocals in Benighted.

NP Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses album. :cool:

Deth
03-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Benighted good, but I forget about it when Face of Melinda comes on.

That is a freaking sweet avatar Tojes.

Darkness
03-24-2006, 08:55 PM
I love Benighted... the only real positive sounding song on Still Life, which is a nice breath of fresh air. The vocals are great, IMO.

Stormrider
03-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Hmm, Still Life has been getting a whole lot of listens lately.

I'm learning the Moor :cool: Next its going to be Face of Melinda. I now love that song.

Darkness
03-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Hmm, Still Life has been getting a whole lot of listens lately.

I'm learning the Moor :cool: Next its going to be Face of Melinda. I now love that song.
Gahahahahahahaha! I knew you'd come around. :chug:

Stormrider
03-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Gahahahahahahaha! I knew you'd come around. :chug:

:p

I looked at the tab and all. Its going to help my finger picking too. Well at times. I suck badly at finger picking.

Darkness
03-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Benighted has good finger picking to, as well as parts of The Moor.

Shadows
03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Something weird has been happening. Everytime I listen to The Leper Affinity, I hear orgasms during the solo. :confused:

Wait a second, they're mine!

Stormrider
03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Benighted has good finger picking to, as well as parts of The Moor.

Yeah. I considered learning Benighted to put my acoustic guitar to good use.

The clean parts in The Moor are awsome.

Killtacular
03-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Something weird has been happening. Everytime I listen to The Leper Affinity, I hear orgasms during the solo. :confused:

I'm stealing Atheist from you on slsk.
You have a good transfer.

Shadows
03-24-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm stealing Atheist from you on slsk.
You have a good transfer.
Go ahead and take anything you want. I don't really have a queue right now.

I had no idea my transfer was so good. I'm impressed considering I'm downloading Adobe Photoshop at 50k.

I heart Opeth!

Darkness
03-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Who are you guys on Soulseek?

Killtacular
03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Rancor.

Shadows
Shadows Fallen

Crysiss
I should check out atheist tonight. Been hearing alot of good stuff about them lately

Killtacular
03-24-2006, 11:06 PM
I got Elements a few weeks ago, but I never gave it a good listen.

PeEpHoLe_10
03-25-2006, 12:39 AM

Thats Opeths best solo,for me.

Cardboard Headgear
03-25-2006, 03:12 AM
Thats Opeths best solo,for me.
There's a topic we haven't touched in a little while! I feel compelled to contribute to the conversation again. It is indeed an extremely well written solo. Ah crap, I had more to say but I'm listening to Sonata Arctica's Full Moon and I always get so into the song cause it's so GOOD, so now I've forgotten. Perhaps I'll remember in a minute.

EDIT: Uh still can't remember what I was gunna say, so I'll just state I always forget how much I love the riff after the clean solo in The Twilight Is My Robe, you know the dun da dununununu dana da dana da....eh?

Deth
03-25-2006, 09:28 AM
White Cluster, The Funeral Portrait and Deliverance have some of my favorite solos.

Flynn
03-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Uh still can't remember what I was gunna say, so I'll just state I always forget how much I love the riff after the clean solo in The Twilight Is My Robe, you know the dun da dununununu dana da dana da....eh?

I love the entire song, it's so fun to play on guitar. Orchid is so amazing. :)

N.P. In Mist She Was Standing ~ Opeth

Shadows
03-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I heard a rumor about Opeth kicking ass. Eight albums later I learned it wasn't a rumor, it was completely true.

Now for some Blackwater Park before I'm off to work.

Deth
03-25-2006, 11:02 AM
What took you so long to get into Opeth?

Darkness
White Cluster, The Funeral Portrait and Deliverance have some of my favorite solos.
Add Wreath and those are my favorites also.

UpperDecker
I think Godheads Lament has the best solo.

Flynn
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm currently working on the last 2 solos on The Apostle In Triumph.

Jude
03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
White Cluster has the awesomest Opeth solo IMO.

Moses
03-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Love how their solos are all memorable.

Darkness
03-25-2006, 01:03 PM
White Cluster has the awesomest Opeth solo IMO.
He played it perfectly live, it was sweet. :cool:

Deth
03-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Is it dueling or just one guitarist? On the album it sounds like they go back and forth.

Stoo
03-25-2006, 01:34 PM
He played it perfectly live, it was sweet. :cool:
As opposed to being really crap at playing his own music. :p

Killtacular
03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
What took you so long to get into Opeth?
He heard Ghost Reveries first. :rolleyes:

As for solos, A Fair Judgement wins.

The Cynic
03-25-2006, 02:45 PM

As for solos, A Fair Judgement wins.

I'd have to agree with you, I'm working on learning all of it. but White Cluster comes in very second close.

Darkness
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
As opposed to being really crap at playing his own music. :p
As opposed to improvising it, like he does with The Drapery Falls.

TojesDolan
03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
OK let's see... A fair judgement, Windowpane (2nd solo, the one with more vibrato or light distortion), Wreath (both solos), Hours of Wealth (omg GR), Serenity Painted Death.

Stoo
03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Well you should have said "He played the solo like it is on the album".

Darkness
03-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Well you should have said "He played the solo like it is on the album".
...I guess.

TojesDolan
03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review_5789

Just felt like whoring my own work, it's a brand new/semi-new/re-posted revision at Lamentations DVD.

<_<

Hope you enjoy it or something.

RouteOne
03-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I finally found a copy of MAYH today. All I can say is, "WOW".

Toaster
03-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Actually, I think he has that one planned out too. I remember seeing a video (Dissecting The Drapery Falls maybe?) where he says he forgot the one on the record, but he always plays the same one. I remember the one on the video was the same one he plays live.

Anyway, my favourite would have to be the last solo in Deliverance. I love it when all the instruments cut out.

Darkness
03-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty sure he improvises that one every time. When I saw it live, compared to on Lamentations and the record, all three were different. I made a special note to pay attention to the solo when I saw it live.

Oh well, it's not important.

TojesDolan
03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
I finally found a copy of MAYH today. All I can say is, "WOW".
Yes, Amazing album.

Actually, I think he has that one planned out too. I remember seeing a video (Dissecting The Drapery Falls maybe?) where he says he forgot the one on the record, but he always plays the same one. I remember the one on the video was the same one he plays live.

Is it similar to the one in The DVD? Because if it is... then it's autoplagrizrizingz or something like that.

Crysiss
03-25-2006, 07:14 PM
The video where he dissects the drapery falls is on youtube i think. just search up opeth and you'll find it.

Darkness
03-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I have it (both parts) on my computer, if anybody wants it.

Crysiss
03-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Whats on the 2nd part? i dont know if i watched the whole thing or not.

Darkness
03-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Last part of the song, I think. I haven't watched it in a year.

Crysiss
03-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Yo anyone ever check out pictures of the bridge from the morningrise cover?

Looks really beautiful

Deth
03-25-2006, 08:13 PM
No, can't say I've ever had the urge to. I love the cover of that and MAYH. So creepy.

It annoys me beyond belief that it says Mornigrise on the side of the case though.

Killtacular
03-25-2006, 08:55 PM
What? How could it bother you if it said it on the side? I'd be more annoyed at how it's got the Opeth logo on the front.

Deth
03-25-2006, 09:16 PM
It's just annoying.

RouteOne
03-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Yes, Amazing album.

Is it similar to the one in The DVD? Because if it is... then it's autoplagrizrizingz or something like that.
Demon of the fall is amazingly heavy.

Stormrider
03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Demon of the fall is amazingly heavy.

I've only heard 2 songs from that album. That one and Karma. Both, I realy like.

Crysiss
03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
No, can't say I've ever had the urge to. I love the cover of that and MAYH. So creepy.

It annoys me beyond belief that it says Mornigrise on the side of the case though.

Doesnt it have the album name on every side of a cd case?

TojesDolan
03-25-2006, 10:47 PM
I've only heard 2 songs from that album. That one and Karma. Both, I realy like.
Check out When, here's a youtube stream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G2jlXUkJ84&search=opeth

That's a nifty song as well.

Stormrider
03-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Dunkelheit just sent it to me on MSN. What a coincidence. Thanks though.

Crysiss
03-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Geez why is your avatar bigger then everyone elses? im so jealous:angry:

When is a great song IMO

Shadows
03-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I was kidding around when I said that. :( Besides, Ghost Reveries was the album that sparked my interest in Opeth.

Crysiss
03-25-2006, 11:55 PM
I was kidding around when I said that. :( Besides, Ghost Reveries was the album that sparked my interest in Opeth.

Ghost Reveries is a great album to me. It creates a dark atmosphere. But there are faults in everything.

Darkness
03-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Ghost Reveries is a great album to me. It creates a dark atmosphere. But there are faults in everything.
Except their other albums.

Crysiss
03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
yes:)

repcak
03-26-2006, 05:08 AM
What are some great songs to play/learn on guitar by Opeth! I can't decide on a song... and it has to be in standard tuning!!!

level: easy to intermediate ;)

JamJar
03-26-2006, 05:13 AM
^The Drapery Falls is pretty easy to play and very fun.

penelope weird hands
03-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Finally bought my Opeth ticket!
And a nice Ghost Reveries shirt. ;}
$100 later... :/

I'm quite screwed for cash because of it.. but, it's worth eating bread and cheese for a while when I know I'll be rewarded seeing Opeth.

20th of April. W00t!

Sort've on topic.. I don't really understand the GR disappointments.
I can see what people mean.. but, it seems most criticism comes from comparing albums, which isn't really fair considering the change and variety of styles they've used throughout their career.
Each album has considerable differences and approaches at songwriting.

Then again, I admit that I do the same.. and don't see Orchid or Morningrise as anything special (by comparison).

Ah well.
All of their albums kickas$ in their own way. :thumb:

Crysiss
03-26-2006, 05:31 AM
I agree. Each album is so different from the others.

Most songs are in standard. Just the stuff on GR are in a different tuning. I suggest trying Deliverance or Dirge For November. Both easy and fun to play :thumb:

MidnightRider
03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
What are some great songs to play/learn on guitar by Opeth! I can't decide on a song... and it has to be in standard tuning!!!

The Leper Affinity or Godheads Lament. Both are very fun.

Flynn
03-26-2006, 04:02 PM

I started out with songs from Orchid, The Twilight Is My Robe is a great song to learn; it was the first Opeth song I learned how to play.

Jude
03-26-2006, 04:06 PM
While on this topic, anyone have a good bass tab for TBYF? I've been trying to tackle it and while it's not as complex as it sounds at first, some bits are still giving me trouble.

TojesDolan
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Easy and intermediate:

Harvest
Ending Credits
Bleak (the first riff may be a bit tough, though)
The drapery Falls
Hours of Wealth
In my time of need
Karma (the acoustic riff is sneaky and a bit tough because of the speed of finger-picking)
Credence
Deliverance and Wreath (The solos are the only tough part, particularly deliverance)

Flynn
03-26-2006, 04:30 PM
While on this topic, anyone have a good bass tab for TBYF? I've been trying to tackle it and while it's not as complex as it sounds at first, some bits are still giving me trouble.

Your best bet is to record the song in Audacity then play the parts that you're having trouble with at a slower speed, same pitch. Or just play along with the song over and over and over again, like I did. :thumb: Some parts are tricky, but it will all fall into place the more you play it.

Crysiss
03-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I was thinking that the Deliverance solos were quite easy actually. Well, for a solo:P

Shadows
03-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Wreath and Deliverance both have some tough solos. As I recall, Wreath has one of their most complex solos ever, and Peter's first solo in Deliverance has some tricky sweep picking.

Crysiss
03-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Wreath is a hard one to nail. I tried it unsuccesfully and gave up:upset:

But I got both Deliverance solos in about an hour :thumb:

Shadows
03-26-2006, 10:26 PM
You bastard! The second I know is very easy, but I have little patience when it comes to sweepig. I'm sure I could get it down with some effort though. Right now I'm focusing on The Leper Affinity solo.

Crysiss
03-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Cool, I havent tried learning The Leper Affinity at all. Its a great song but i've never attemped it.
The solo is sweet stuff btw

TojesDolan
03-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Wreath and Deliverance both have some tough solos. As I recall, Wreath has one of their most complex solos ever, and Peter's first solo in Deliverance has some tricky sweep picking.
Do you think so?

I don't. They are fairly easy. The first one is only a bit tricky with the fingering and the going up-and-down, and the second one has a stupid amount of pinch harmonics, but nothing too super-extra-horrible, once you nail the pinch harmonics.

And there's this section... I think the second riff in the song, where they switch one-and-other through the two riffs payed over each other, now that's awesome.

And yes the sweeping in deliverance is a bitch.

Cool, I havent tried learning The Leper Affinity at all. Its a great song but i've never attemped it.
The solo is sweet stuff btw

Ugh I get frustrated with The leper affinity. For real. The riffs are super-duper too awesome for me.

repcak
03-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Easy and intermediate:

Harvest
Ending Credits
Bleak (the first riff may be a bit tough, though)
The drapery Falls
Hours of Wealth
In my time of need
Karma (the acoustic riff is sneaky and a bit tough because of the speed of finger-picking)
Credence
Deliverance and Wreath (The solos are the only tough part, particularly deliverance)
thank you all, for suggestions ...

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Learn April Ethereal. I love playing that song. The tabs for it aren't completely right though. I kinda changed the ending for it.

Flynn
03-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I can't find correct tabs for April Ethereal either, but the ones I have gave me a good idea of how to work with it. April Ethereal is an excellent song to play, especially the end.

Stormrider
03-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Does anybody have a powertab for Twilight is my Robe ?

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Has anyone tried learning Godheads Lament? Its pretty complicated for an Opeth song. I'd say in difficulty its up there with The Leper Affinity. I've got parts of it down but nowhere near the whole thing.

Shadows
03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
The Leper Affinity is one of their easier songs. :confused:

Stormrider
03-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Has anyone tried learning Godheads Lament? Its pretty complicated for an Opeth song. I'd say in difficulty its up there with The Leper Affinity. I've got parts of it down but nowhere near the whole thing.

I might give it a shot after The Moor and Face of Melinda. Meh, some of the other songs go first actualy.

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 07:54 PM

To me its complicated. Of Opeth i have only learned Blackrose Immortal, April Ethereal, Demon Of The Fall and bits and pieces from other songs. Its the most complicated out of those and those are all i know so there you go.

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 07:55 PM
I might give it a shot after The Moor and Face of Melinda. Meh, some of the other songs go first actualy.

Crap thats what i meant The Moor, not Godheads. Sorry bout that.

Stormrider
03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Crap thats what i meant The Moor, not Godheads. Sorry bout that.

In that case. Yeah. I'm learning it right now :) Very fun to play so far.

Shadows
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
To me its complicated. Of Opeth i have only learned Blackrose Immortal, April Ethereal, Demon Of The Fall and bits and pieces from other songs. Its the most complicated out of those and those are all i know so there you go.
Actually that's pretty reassuring for me. The Leper Affinity is the only Opeth song I've seriously tried to learn aside from an assortment of Orchid riffs, and it seems very easy for me. I guess this means I should be able to play other stuff of their's as well.

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 07:58 PM
In that case. Yeah. I'm learning it right now :) Very fun to play so far.

Are you using the regular tab or the Power Tab? I learned it all on powertab and alot is off. The powertab is alot better and somewhat more difficult.

RouteOne
03-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I sort of noticed something about MAYH. It's a very good album, but there really aren't any memorable moments in the songs that strike me. Is it just me?

Stormrider
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Are you using the regular tab or the Power Tab? I learned it all on powertab and alot is off. The powertab is alot better and somewhat more difficult.

Powertab for me. The tab I have is good. I havnt had any real difficultied so far. But I sense soem is coming ahead...I suck at finger picking :p

Shadows
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
I sort of noticed something about MAYH. It's a very good album, but there really aren't any memorable moments in the songs that strike me. Is it just me?
YES

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Actually that's pretty reassuring for me. The Leper Affinity is the only Opeth song I've seriously tried to learn aside from an assortment of Orchid riffs, and it seems very easy for me. I guess this means I should be able to play other stuff of their's as well.

Yea, it probably will come easy to you then. I really haven't had the patience to learn anything lately. I'll just be like man screw this. It sucks. Oh yea and i know like half of Masters Apprentice. That song rocks so hard even though i hear its a ripoff of Morbid Angel. DunDun Diii Dun dundundundundun DinDun Dun Diiiiii......

Shadius
03-27-2006, 08:04 PM

Just you. It could be the production though, it's a bit more muddy/dark than their other releases.

That really slow cold deep growl in April Ethereal like he's breathing outwards or something as well and the drum fill before the clean section. The clean singing in When before the solo, and the entire end of the song, Demon of the Fall's "chorus" and clean singing, in fact, the whole song is memorable. That speedy frantic riff at the end of Karma.

I don't know that was all off the top of my head, the album has it's memorable moments for sure.

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 08:08 PM

The first time i heard the first acoustic part inDemon of The Fall my jaw dropped. Thats probably the most memorable part of the cd for me. Also the growling in that song is really amazing (though i heard they altered his voice).

Toaster
03-27-2006, 08:11 PM

The solo before the reprise of the first riff is pretty tough to get down. It's got a bit of sweep picking, one of Opeth's most technical solos.

RouteOne
03-27-2006, 08:13 PM
The first time i heard the first acoustic part inDemon of The Fall my jaw dropped. Thats probably the most memorable part of the cd for me. Also the growling in that song is really amazing (though i heard they altered his voice).
I just have to listen to it more. It seems like a totally different style than their earlier releases.

Shadows
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
The solo before the reprise of the first riff is pretty tough to get down. It's got a bit of sweep picking, one of Opeth's most technical solos.
I haven't hit that part yet. I'll tackle it with brass knuckles on.

ok lateralus
03-27-2006, 08:17 PM
The ending of When! Those clean vocals are amazing, so anthemic, with that double bass in the background. Def one of Opeth's finest moments.

UpperDecker
03-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I just have to listen to it more. It seems like a totally different style than their earlier releases.

Yea, they really took a departure from their old style here. Much deeper growling and more structure to the songs. And other stuff..........

Toaster
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
One of the coolest things about MAYH is how Mikael introduces his new growling style. For the first couple minutes of April Ethereal, he uses a higher-pitched scream, almost like on the first two albums. Then suddenly at 2:09 he emits some of the most bowel-churning vocals of his career. It brings a smile to my face whenever I think about someone hearing that for the first time.

"She faced me in awe..." :eek:

Flynn
03-27-2006, 08:53 PM
One of the coolest things about MAYH is how Mikael introduces his new growling style. For the first couple minutes of April Ethereal, he uses a higher-pitched scream, almost like on the first two albums. Then suddenly at 2:09 he emits some of the most bowel-churning vocals of his career. It brings a smile to my face whenever I think about someone hearing that for the first time.

"She faced me in awe..." :eek:

Oh yeah :thumb:

One of my favorite vocal lines on the Hearse is on the song Karma, whe he growls ''The luring eyes, you had never seen'' But he says it like ''The loooring oooys,'' I just love that so much!

Jude
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
MAYH has its moments, maybe not as many as other albums but still...

The main riff of April Ethereal, and the drumbeat on there...intense!
"Eerie circles upon the waters..." that line gives me shivers
DEMON! DEMON OF THE FALL is a good one

Those would be my top three.