PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Katana
02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
http://opethtacos.ytmnd.com

Sorry if that's been posted before; I'm not reading 359 pages of thread.

Opeth is coming to where I live this March. Yeah buddy!

Pale-Folklore
02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
APOLOGIES FOR THE CONFUSION EVERYONE :wave:

yes, i did mean ghost of perdition. i kept thinking of that as the name of the album for some reason

Det_Nosnip
02-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Damn, I lost. :(

Hells Bells
02-02-2006, 09:22 PM
That's ok, when I first got the album I kept mixing those two up. Tis indeed a good tune though :thumb:

Pale-Folklore
02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
That's ok, when I first got the album I kept mixing those two up. Tis indeed a good tune though :thumb:

yeah, i love how it just breaks in:

"GHOST OF
MOTHER
LINGERING DEATH
GHOST ON MOTHERS BED
WHITE STRANDS ON THE PILLOW"

i remember when i first listened to that it was blasting it in my mom's car while she went into the grocery store and there was an old woman sitting in the car opposite me. i don't think she liked it much :p

Crysiss
02-02-2006, 11:43 PM

"GHOST OF
MOTHER
LINGERING DEATH
GHOST ON MOTHERS BED

i remember when i first listened to that it was blasting it in my mom's car while she went into the grocery store and there was an old woman sitting in the car opposite me. i don't think she liked it much :p

I had a similar experience, i remember i was trying to hear the intro because it was so goddamn quiet so i turned up almost all the way.
BLAMMO!!! old man nearly had a heart attack:eek:

Det_Nosnip
02-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Heh....I remember there being quite a few Dark Tranquillity fans in this thead, so I thought I'd mention that I just learned the intro to "Punish My Heaven" on my keyboard (playing the guitar parts). Quite a bitch! :lol: I've got it up to about 100 BPM (song is at 134), so I need to get my fingers moving a little bit quicker, but being that my first instrument is drumset, I was very proud of myself. :D

UpperDecker
02-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Forest of October is such a good song. Its my new fav. off of Orchid. yea.....

Hells Bells
02-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Heh....I remember there being quite a few Dark Tranquillity fans in this thead, so I thought I'd mention that I just learned the intro to "Punish My Heaven" on my keyboard (playing the guitar parts). Quite a bitch! :lol: I've got it up to about 100 BPM (song is at 134), so I need to get my fingers moving a little bit quicker, but being that my first instrument is drumset, I was very proud of myself. :D

Wow, that's awesome :thumb: Did you find notes for it, or did you transcribe it yourself?

That's actually a really good idea by the way...you'd be able to do the harmonies for both guitars, and just think of what you could do with the music.

Det_Nosnip
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I used Guitar Pro. :p The main reason why I'm learning all of these songs is to train my ear to recognize melodies better. I've been focusing on melodies that really stick out in my ear and that I can sing back easily from memory, in order to connect what's going on in my brain with what's going on with my fingers. I've also been analyzing the music, figuring out what key it's in, what chords are used, etc. (Punish My Heaven is almost certainly in E flat Minor) For a guitar, the chords are usually pretty obvious due to the way the instrument is played, but on piano you have to do a little bit more thinking.

In some cases, you can do both harmonies, but I dunno about Punish My Heaven. :lol: Right now I'm doing those parts with two hands....reaching that bottom Bb would be a BITCH with one hand.

denboy
02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
^ Much respect, for being a drummer that is looking into the "Melodic" side of music

Pale-Folklore
02-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I used Guitar Pro. :p The main reason why I'm learning all of these songs is to train my ear to recognize melodies better. I've been focusing on melodies that really stick out in my ear and that I can sing back easily from memory, in order to connect what's going on in my brain with what's going on with my fingers. I've also been analyzing the music, figuring out what key it's in, what chords are used, etc. (Punish My Heaven is almost certainly in E flat Minor) For a guitar, the chords are usually pretty obvious due to the way the instrument is played, but on piano you have to do a little bit more thinking.

In some cases, you can do both harmonies, but I dunno about Punish My Heaven. :lol: Right now I'm doing those parts with two hands....reaching that bottom Bb would be a BITCH with one hand.

that's pretty awesome

Whale and Wasp
02-03-2006, 03:40 PM
http://opethtacos.ytmnd.com

Sorry if that's been posted before; I'm not reading 359 pages of thread.

Opeth is coming to where I live this March. Yeah buddy!
LMAO :lol:

TojesDolan
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
so you're a bass?
I guess so. I still have to make some tests to know exactly what kind of singer I am, but I have issues with really high pitch. So there you go.

Anyhow, in the whole GR and all that jazz... I have to say I'm listening to it more throughly. the soft songs are growing on me. Weird thing.

Quickdrop
02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
from like 3:40-4:40 in Ghost of Perdition, was probebly my favorite 1 minute of music this year. Awesome song.

Whale and Wasp
02-03-2006, 06:23 PM

"GHOST OF
MOTHER
LINGERING DEATH
GHOST ON MOTHERS BED

:lol: i was startled by it too. i think it happened to nearly everyone when they listened to GR the first time. maybe opeth did that on purpose:cool:

Tyr
02-04-2006, 08:23 AM
:lol: i was startled by it too. i think it happened to nearly everyone when they listened to GR the first time. maybe opeth did that on purpose:cool:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did it on purpose.

Hells Bells
02-04-2006, 10:54 AM

I didn't think of that, I've only transcribed songs from the piano to the guitar...I'm in the middle of doing Chopin's Nocturne in E minor...but yeah, the way guitar is set up, you can get chords that would stretch across like half the piano :/ Anyway, that's a great skill to develop, it REALLY helps when you're jamming with people and trying to improvise accompaniments. Good luck ;)

Shattered_Future
02-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Wooot, Opeth February 24th, Webster Theatre in Hartford, CT. Got my tickets today. :D

Anyone else going to this/another?

Txus
02-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Wooot, Opeth February 24th, Webster Theatre in Hartford, CT. Got my tickets today. :D

Anyone else going to this/another?
Im going, and its my birthday :)

Crysiss
02-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I plan on going on the march 5th show.

Det_Nosnip
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
^ Much respect, for being a drummer that is looking into the "Melodic" side of music

Well, I try to think of myself as just a "musician" who happens to be the most proficient at drumset and various forms of percussion. It's easier that way Either way, thanks! :)

I didn't think of that, I've only transcribed songs from the piano to the guitar...I'm in the middle of doing Chopin's Nocturne in E minor...but yeah, the way guitar is set up, you can get chords that would stretch across like half the piano :/ Anyway, that's a great skill to develop, it REALLY helps when you're jamming with people and trying to improvise accompaniments. Good luck ;)

Haha...even the acoustic intro to "Enter Sandman" was quite a stretch, although definitely not unfeasable. I've gotten pretty good at doing "Punish" with just my right hand, it actually works better than I thought it would. Speaking of Chopin...that intro riff to "Punish..." really reminds me of Chopin's work for some reason...

Pale-Folklore
02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
i wish i could go to that :(

i've been listening to still life quite a bit more than usual lately, i wish i could see them play the moor or something

sonicst0rm
02-05-2006, 09:14 PM
What? There wasn't a link here...

These guys requested me as a friend on myspace for some reason. But I checked it out, and they have a REALLY similar sound to Opeth.... a little different, but it's surprisingly good. So if you like Opeth might as well check it out.

I would like to see them in NYC on the 23rd, but it's in Harlem, and they have all those gay ballet dancers and crap. I would really love to see Into Eternity and Dark Tranquillity with them instead.

gmoneyguy
02-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Opeth is coming to New Orleans March 19. I actually do get to go seem them play!

Stormrider
02-05-2006, 09:22 PM
All you guys are lucky. So far, there not scheduled to come here...

Jude
02-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Why is it not legal to link to a myspace?

gmoneyguy
02-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Why is it not legal to link to a myspace?
hes obviously advertising.

The Cynic
02-05-2006, 10:50 PM

Me too... At least I thinks so.....anyways :angry:

Whale and Wasp
02-06-2006, 03:42 PM
>_> well they are coming to where i live but i cant go *weeps*

gmoneyguy
02-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I have WMP on random, and Its just playing Opeth songs right now.

Panvium
02-06-2006, 07:02 PM
>_> well they are coming to where i live but i cant go *weeps*

1e 2wo 3ree

Shattered_Future
02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
After listening to the first two songs off of Still Life last night (I mean REALLY listening to them), I retract all previous "what is up with this album" statements. It's unbelievably excellent.

Darkness
02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Get Face Of Melinda... My favorite from that CD. :)

Whale and Wasp
02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
After listening to the first two songs off of Still Life last night (I mean REALLY listening to them), I retract all previous "what is up with this album" statements. It's unbelievably excellent.
congratulations:thumb: its a great album, you should hear the rest of it

Shattered_Future
02-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I plan on listening to all of it over the course of the next few nights. From then on, every Opeth album I own will be spun, most likely more than once, in preparation for the concert. Along with some Dark Tranquillity and Townsend, of course. :p

Whale and Wasp
02-06-2006, 07:33 PM
nooooooo!!! *ducks down and covers ears*

sorry, i am just kind of miserable about not being able to go the upcoming opeth concert

Darkness
02-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Why can't you go?

Flynn
02-06-2006, 07:58 PM
nooooooo!!! *ducks down and covers ears*

sorry, i am just kind of miserable about not being able to go the upcoming opeth concert

That sucks man, sorry. :angry: Don't worry, you'll get to see them sooner or later.

Darkness
02-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey Flynn, sorry I kinda ditched you earlier. Go back on msn, I want you to hear something.

Hells Bells
02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Haha...even the acoustic intro to "Enter Sandman" was quite a stretch, although definitely not unfeasable. I've gotten pretty good at doing "Punish" with just my right hand, it actually works better than I thought it would. Speaking of Chopin...that intro riff to "Punish..." really reminds me of Chopin's work for some reason...

Really...
/goes and listens to Punish My Heaven
It actually kinda does, I think he uses similar harmonies in a lot of his work...you'd think that being the as huge a fan I am of Chopin I would have picked up on that :p

Jude
02-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Man I just got Lamentations in the mail today and boy, do Opeth rule live. This makes me even more upset that I can't get to the Opeth tour this month... :upset:

Unless anyone happens to be going from northwestern VA to the Baltimore or Norfolk gigs and wants to go out of their way to take me ;)

UpperDecker
02-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I had just recently heard Still Day Beneath The Sun cause it isn't on my Black Water Park and man is that an incredible song, especially the way he sings in it. This is my favorite mellow song between Still Day and To Bid You Farewell.

Whale and Wasp
02-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Why can't you go?
dont have money or a car

Darkness
02-07-2006, 08:48 PM
dont have money or a car
Get a job. :D

Deth
02-07-2006, 08:49 PM
They have jobs in Kana-duh? I thought you just hunted moose and played hockey :-/.

Darkness
02-07-2006, 08:53 PM
You better believe it. We only have a 4% unemployment rate in my province. :)

Shadius
02-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I had just recently heard Still Day Beneath The Sun cause it isn't on my Black Water Park and man is that an incredible song, especially the way he sings in it. This is my favorite mellow song between Still Day and To Bid You Farewell.

It really is awesome. It always reminds me of my holiday in Corsica with my parents where I got into that album and the "Still day beneath the sun" reference was so fitting.

Toaster
02-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I just recently found that song as well. It's one of Opeth's best soft songs.

Darkness
02-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah. I wish there was something like it on Damnation.

Whale and Wasp
02-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Get a job. :D
too young

EDIT: 1666th post! :evil:

Stoo
02-08-2006, 03:50 AM
DuncMaster (V1) got banned on my 666th post. :eek:

Det_Nosnip
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
They have jobs in Kana-duh? I thought you just hunted moose and played hockey :-/.

With a welfare system like they have, that's what I would be doing! :lol:

Whale and Wasp
02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
DuncMaster (V1) got banned on my 666th post. :eek:
what did you do?

Shattered_Future
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
I've always contemplated moving to Canada for some reason or other when I get out of my house...

SDBTS is an excellent track. It's happish, almost.

Artemician
02-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Hello all at the Opeth board (I'm new here in case you didn't realize).

Anyway, I got Morningrise just a couple days/weeks ago and something's been bugging me a bit. I really like The Night and the Silent Water (even though I like Black Rose Immortal more), but I read on Opeth's site that Mikael and Peter apparently dislike it quite a lot. What do you guys think of it?

i am the robots
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Night and the Silent Water is good, I don't understand why they don't like it... kinda like Killswitch Engage with When The Balance Is Broken.

gmoneyguy
02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I just bought my tickets to the March 19 show.

Stoo
02-08-2006, 04:18 PM
what did you do?
I clicked on a bad link... OMFG!!111!

I think alot of other MX'ers did aswell.

:chug: ...To mass banning.

UpperDecker
02-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Anyway, I got Morningrise just a couple days/weeks ago and something's been bugging me a bit. I really like The Night and the Silent Water (even though I like Black Rose Immortal more), but I read on Opeth's site that Mikael and Peter apparently dislike it quite a lot. What do you guys think of it?

Its one of my favorites by Opeth. They said on Lamentations that they didn't like it cause all the other bands where they were started sounding just like them. something like that

Stoo
02-08-2006, 04:31 PM
They said something like they didn't like the older Opeth sound (Dual guitar harmonies and the like) thats why on Still Life onwards they opted for more traditional heavy riffing. They said all the Swedish metal bands were using the old style and they wanted to move on.

I can't remeber if I heard that on Lamentations or the FaceCulture videos of Mikael.

ok lateralus
02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Can anyone send me Still Day Beneath the Sun on AIM?

m0rningrise is my AIM sn

Det_Nosnip
02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
They said something like they didn't like the older Opeth sound (Dual guitar harmonies and the like) thats why on Still Life onwards they opted for more traditional heavy riffing. They said all the Swedish metal bands were using the old style and they wanted to move on.

I can't remeber if I heard that on Lamentations or the FaceCulture videos of Mikael.

Not much, if anything, about the Still Life album is "traditional."

Otherside
02-08-2006, 05:09 PM

I can't remember where I heard this, but I read somewhere that they dislike it because it was about the death of Mikael's uncle or something like that. The song itself is very good though.

bucket
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I can't remember where I heard this, but I read somewhere that they dislike it because it was about the death of Mikael's uncle or something like that. The song itself is very good though.

Yes, but grandfather actually.

Plus the general disinterest in that style doesn't help.

Jude
02-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Mike says on Lamentations that he loves Morningrise and thinks it's really great but the reason they stopped playing in that guitar style was because so many other Swedish metal bands were doing it at the same time and he felt it was getting played out (paraphrase).

The reason he dislikes TNATSW is because of his grandfather's death being associated with it, other bad memories, etc. if I remember right.

Shattered_Future
02-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Not much, if anything, about the Still Life album is "traditional."

Truth. I've started listening to this album lately, and it's entirely unconventional for what was going on in music at the time. Hell, even to this day, it's still unconventional.

Moses
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Finally got BWP back on my computer from such a long time of not being able to listen to it. It sounds so good.

Darkness
02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Nice thread kill Moses, but I'm going to ruin it.

I thought this video was pretty funny. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-308190821724584227&q=opeth

:p

invisiman
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Is Martin Lopez back aboard for the NA leg of their tour? Sorry if this has been gone over, but there's no real good search terms to find it.

Moses
02-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Nice thread kill Moses, but I'm going to ruin it.
How come I didn't figure you were going to say that?

Darkness
02-08-2006, 11:03 PM
How come I didn't figure you were going to say that?
:D Donno.

Jude
02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Truth. I've started listening to this album lately, and it's entirely unconventional for what was going on in music at the time. Hell, even to this day, it's still unconventional.
I just listened to it (can't friggin' sleep) and I was blown away, as usual. This time it was by how well the album flows. The parts seem to run into each other more perfectly than on any other Opeth album, especially on White Cluster (which is one hell of an underrated song)

Crysiss
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
With a welfare system like they have, that's what I would be doing! :lol:

I suck at hockey:( And welfare sucks most of the time. Usually you don't have enough money to support anyone but yourself. No, i wasn't on welfare but some of my family in the rez are on welfare.

kurrpt
02-09-2006, 09:28 AM
whats some of the "better" Opeth songs.

I have 3 albums i barely listen to, and i cant seem to get into this band

Darkness
02-09-2006, 09:31 AM
In the Mist She was standing
Forest Of October
Apostle in Triumph
Blackrose Immortal
To bid you farewell
When
Demon of the Fall
The Moor
Benighted
Face Of Melinda
The Leper Affinity
The Drapery Falls
Blackwater Park
Still Day Beneath the Sun
Wreath
Deliverance
Masters Apprentices
Windowpane
Hope Leaves
Ghost Of Perdition

+ more

Stoo
02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Bleeeaaak!!

Biancazzurri
02-09-2006, 11:23 AM
somebody knows why mikael and the rest so hate "the night and the silent water"? because i think thats a great song!
edit: huh. what an irony i saw the answer page before..

UpperDecker
02-09-2006, 11:25 AM
In the Mist She was standing
Forest Of October
Apostle in Triumph
Blackrose Immortal
To bid you farewell
When
Demon of the Fall
The Moor
Benighted
Face Of Melinda
The Leper Affinity
The Drapery Falls
Blackwater Park
Still Day Beneath the Sun
Wreath
Deliverance
Masters Apprentices
Windowpane
Hope Leaves
Ghost Of Perdition

+ more

Imagine that setlist live.

Deth
02-09-2006, 11:28 AM
That's like a 5 hour setlist. It would own so hard.

Biancazzurri
02-09-2006, 11:30 AM
I just listened to it (can't friggin' sleep) and I was blown away, as usual. This time it was by how well the album flows. The parts seem to run into each other more perfectly than on any other Opeth album, especially on White Cluster (which is one hell of an underrated song)truth. the riff an 1:25 or so is so simple but genious!

Darkness
02-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Bleeeaaak!!
Wrong. That ruin the perfect live setlist. :D

Stoo
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
No dude. Bleak is awesome and we all know what you think... :smash:

Jude
02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
i pee on ur foot!!! :angry:

Shattered_Future
02-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Bleak would only make it 10 times better, provided they could get a lot of guitars onstage.

Does anybody know a model setlist of what Opeth is playing on this tour? I want to see if I can concentrate on listening to some of their stuff I don't really listen to...

Darkness
02-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Just wait tell the tour starts, then people will post the setlists they saw... like last time.

Bleak sucks

Shattered_Future
02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
True...I guess. I just want to get a head start.

And you haven't been stabbed by mobs of raging Opeth fans yet WHY? :thumb:

Darkness
02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Because they're all in the states. I'm safe up here. :D

Shattered_Future
02-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Stupid Canadians. We all know you're going to take over the world someday with your warehooses of rooboots.

Darkness
02-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I hope so. We would make great world leaders. Were all friendly, and have really hawt girls. :naughty:

Sadly China's probably the next big rising power though. :upset:

Artemician
02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I hope so. We would make great world leaders. Were all friendly, and have really hawt girls. :naughty:

Sadly China's probably the next big rising power though. :upset:

The government of Canada in charge of the world wouldn't be so bad. It'd probably be better than what's going on now at least. Besides, Rush would probably be deemed master rock band of the world :thumb: .

Toaster
02-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Actually our government has been fairly screwed up lately, what with the sponsorship scandal and the vote of non-confidence.

We definitely have the hot chicks though. :chug:

MidnightRider
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
We definitely have the hot chicks though.

I've only been to Canada once, but I didn't see to many. Maybe I just went to the wrong places.

And it seems like every time I come in this thread Dunkelheit is defending himself about why he doesn't like Bleak.

bucket
02-09-2006, 04:38 PM

To Bid You Farewell
The Leper Affinity
Blackwater Park
Face Of Melinda

Those are generally among Opeth fans' favorites

TojesDolan
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Actually our government has been fairly screwed up lately, what with the sponsorship scandal and the vote of non-confidence.

We definitely have the hot chicks though. :chug:
Meh. A girl named Katrina is in an exchange program at my school... she's not like, super duper awesome, you know. But she's fine.

On a side note, I'll make my list. Gogogo

(NO particular order. Unless specified.)

Serenity painted death
The moor
In the mist she was standing
demon of the fall
nectar
Harlequin forest
Ghost of perdition
Wreath
Deliverance
A fair judgement
i my time of need
hope leaves
blackwater park
Bleak
Drapery falls
Leper affinity
Harvest and...

Isolation years, to wrap up. The best couple hours I'd ever waste.

On a related note, I'm starting to like Hours of wealth a lot. After a lot of listening to Ghost Reveries, I'm starting to like it as a whole project. hmm.

That and the lamentations DVD was stuck in my DVD player (along with VCD p0rnos >_>) for a good month or two. Yep. I'm getting obsessed. :|

UpperDecker
02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Godheads Lament should definitely be added to these lists.

Artemician
02-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I would gladly sacrifice two or three other songs to have them play Black Rose Immortal.

Jude
02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I would gladly sacrifice two or three other songs to have them play Black Rose Immortal.
Me too.

Well two others, since it's equivalent in length to two standard Opeth songs.

Darkness
02-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I've only been to Canada once, but I didn't see to many. Maybe I just went to the wrong places.

And it seems like every time I come in this thread Dunkelheit is defending himself about why he doesn't like Bleak.
You did visit the wrong places, then.

And I know, whats up with that? If everyone would just except my opinion... :p

Crysiss
02-09-2006, 06:33 PM
White girls with black girls butts:eek:

Shattered_Future
02-09-2006, 07:43 PM
I'm having MAD problems trying to listen to any Opeth album bar BWP, Damnation, and Deliverance. I can't pay attention for some reason...

Crysiss
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm having MAD problems trying to listen to any Opeth album bar BWP, Damnation, and Deliverance. I can't pay attention for some reason...

My hypothesis is. Your getting bored of opeth.

UpperDecker
02-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I started with Blackwater Park and was before i liked any deathmetal. After 20 minutes of searching through the cd i knew this band was something special and since then i just kept listening and now i own and love all their music. If you can't get into them now, your bound to at some point.

Deth
02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Same with me. The first time I listened to it, I knew I liked it but I didn't like the vocals. A couple of forced listenings got me to agree with them though.

UpperDecker
02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I remember the first time i played The Leper Affinity and the part came on "Lost are ......the days of spring" i was like omg. good stuff

Whale and Wasp
02-09-2006, 08:16 PM

I have 3 albums i barely listen to, and i cant seem to get into this band
this is how i got into opeth, being a non-death metal fan when i first heard them

first: listened to "closure" from the album damnation. really cool mystic song. its completely acoustic and very easy to enjoy.

then: listen to some songs by another band, like children of bodom, with really abrasive screeching screaming vocals.

then: listen to opeth's "baying of the hounds" from the album ghost reveries and bask in the relief of hearing mikael's awesome growling (plus it has a cool long soft part in the song as well)

then: once you start digging baying of the hounds, listen to the rest of ghost reveries for millions of times till it grows on you (might take a number of listens through)

and then if you enjoyed ghost reveries, here are the rest of opeth's discography...

deliverance
still life
orchid
morningrise
my arms your hearse
blackwater park
damnation

i suggest listening to one album at a time and slowly getting into it. opeth is the kind of band to be digested and enjoyed slowly and thoroughly, not fast food :)

Shattered_Future
02-09-2006, 08:24 PM
My hypothesis is. Your getting bored of opeth.

I can't be getting bored of Opeth, I'm just starting to get INTO the goddamn band. :mad:

By the way, is anyone good with Audacity? There's that one part in The Grand Conjuration, about 7:45 in, under the verse riff...sounds like backwards vocals. I reversed it, but still can't really make it out...does anyone know how to make the music softer and the vocals louder?

Crysiss
02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
My brother can do that stuff with Cool Edit Pro 2. But i gotta try it out for myself

Oriah
02-09-2006, 10:55 PM
deliverance
still life
orchid
morningrise
my arms your hearse
blackwater park
damnation

i suggest listening to one album at a time and slowly getting into it. opeth is the kind of band to be digested and enjoyed slowly and thoroughly, not fast food :)

mmmm thats some good stuff... Love that BWP it's my favorite food...err I mean album :thumb:

Crysiss
02-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Listening to opeth is like screwing a fat lady.you give it time and....

where was i going with this?

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I have no idea, nor do I want to know how it ends. :amaze:

Oriah
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
neither do I.... /yuck

Otherside
02-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm so happy, just bought my Opeth tickets :D

Can't wait till next Wednesday :D

Kage
02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm so happy, just bought my Opeth tickets :D

Can't wait till next Wednesday :D
It's cool buying tickets so close to the event, as opposed to months beforehand.

RustedPieces
02-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Can someone please tell me what song this is? It's amazing.
http://youtube.com/w/Opeth-Live-video-clip?v=RHA059T8f_E&search=Opeth

Moses
02-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey Kage, how do you like that Extol?

Kage
02-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey Kage, how do you like that Extol?
Just got home, haven't had a chance to listen ot it yet, but I will.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Can someone please tell me what song this is? It's amazing.
http://youtube.com/w/Opeth-Live-video-clip?v=RHA059T8f_E&search=Opeth

The beginning is a part of Windowpane, a song off of the Damnation album. The best song off of that album, IMO.

gmoneyguy
02-10-2006, 04:24 PM
The beginning is a part of Windowpane, a song off of the Damnation album. The best song off of that album, IMO.
I prefer In My Time of Need and Death Whispered a Lullaby.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Bah, those 2 tracks I could care less about.

For me, it's:
Windowpane
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease

Deth
02-10-2006, 04:49 PM
For me, it's all about tracks 4-6.

Whale and Wasp
02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
mmmm thats some good stuff... Love that BWP it's my favorite food...err I mean album :thumb:
:lol: i am still digesting it...

my fave damnation tracks are closure and windowpane

Darkness
02-10-2006, 06:00 PM
I love them all but DWAL.

espjunkie
02-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I never looked into this thread before, being a growing opeth fan.
I have most the albums now, except for Deliverance and My Arse Your Hearse. Musically, these guys have been growing in me, my guitar playing is really them now, since i've took my influence of mixing death metal, minor blues, jazz, proggressive. etc. GOOD STUFF..

GenuineImitation
02-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I just got Damnation today. I have been looking for this ablum for at least one year.

Stoo
02-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Still waiting on Damnation and Deliverance from Amazon... Mofos.

So close to having all 8. :cool:

Stormrider
02-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I just got Damnation today. I have been looking for this ablum for at least one year.

I've seen that one in stores a few times.

But the one I realy regret of not buying was Orchid. I saw it in stores last week..I was short on money :(

GenuineImitation
02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
I only see Blackwater Park and GR is the stores. I saw Orchid once, but didn't have enough money on me.

Stormrider
02-10-2006, 06:54 PM
The only one I havnt seen in stores is Still Life.

Stoo
02-10-2006, 06:55 PM
I went into a massive Virgin megastores in Glasgow and they had NO OPETH!! :eek:

Online Opeth buying > High Street Opeth Buying.

Stormrider
02-10-2006, 06:57 PM
A Virgin Megastore...thats where I bought my Morningrise :p

Last time I went, I asked someone who worked their, and they said there was supposed to be Orchid and MAYH I think...but I couldnt find either...

Stoo
02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I got MAYH and Morningrise from HMV. and Still Life, and Blackwater Park... and Orchid and Ghost Reveries.

Moral of story;

HMV >>>>> Virgin.

Stormrider
02-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I was lucky though...I got Morningrise for 16USD but Orchid was in an HMV up here in Canada for 30.99 CAN $ :-/

But, yeah I've seen mroe stuff in an HMV then in a Virgin Megastore.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Does anyone else notice that the guy up there said My Arse Your Hearse?

I thought that was quite humorous...:lol:

Still Life/Ghost Reveries are slowly growing on me more. I've been concentrating on those two albums this week, and probably shall next week as well.

Stoo
02-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Holy Shiit yea lol How did I miss that???

^Dream~Theater^
02-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Man, The ending screams on In The Mist still make me shiver, intense.

Whale and Wasp
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
woot! i got damnation on wednesday and now finally have all 8 albums.....(damnation was very weird to listen to on the first time but i love it!)

i think i am going to do an opeth marathon tomorrow and listen to all 8 albums straight trhough in chronological order :cool:

Stormrider
02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
i think i am going to do an opeth marathon tomorrow and listen to all 8 albums straight trhough in chronological order :cool:

I wanted to do that once with my Iced Earth albums. I did but with pauses between a few of them because I did other things..it was cool though. You see the progress from album to album.

For Opeth though, I only have 1 album so far :upset: All this will change soon enough.

Whale and Wasp
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I wanted to do that once with my Iced Earth albums. I did but with pauses between a few of them because I did other things..it was cool though. You see the progress from album to album.

For Opeth though, I only have 1 album so far :upset: All this will change soon enough.
that sounds cool how you hear them progress :thumb:

what album do you have?

Stormrider
02-10-2006, 08:51 PM
that sounds cool how you hear them progress :thumb:

what album do you have?

Morningrise.

TojesDolan
02-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Great. The evolution.

I have to do that with my SOAD stuff.

Deth
02-10-2006, 09:19 PM
It's more fun with bands that have a lot of albums. I did it when I saw them in November and it was pretty cool.

Pale-Folklore
02-10-2006, 09:25 PM
most of my opeth is downloaded, although i own copies of damnation and ghost reveries

wow, that marathon is gonna take you all day man

Darkness
02-10-2006, 09:28 PM
most of my opeth is downloaded, although i own copies of damnation and ghost reveries

wow, that marathon is gonna take you all day man
Probably around 8-hours, the standard working day hours.

TojesDolan
02-10-2006, 09:28 PM
It's more fun with bands that have a lot of albums. I did it when I saw them in November and it was pretty cool.
Like, say, Iron Maiden?

A friend of mine has the whole collection, or most of it, so I gues I could borrow.

But leave my testicles behind as a warrant for his albums.

<_<

Darkness
02-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Why not just a shoe?

Deth
02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Maiden have a few crappy albums though. Perhaps I should say a band with a lot of albums, all of which are good.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Maiden>Preist. :)

/Knows you're a fanboy

Deth
02-10-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm a fanboy of both. The day of the week depends on which I prefer.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Damn.. I wanted to get on your nerves.

Thank you for the correction Kage. :)

Deth
02-10-2006, 09:44 PM
You fayle.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Bleak and Godheads Lament suck.

/runs

Kage
02-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Damn.. I wanted to get on you're nerves.
Maybe I'll get on you are nerves.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Damnit, whats with you guys and pointing out my grammatical errors! :angry:

Allow me to attempt to get on yours... the past 2 In Flames albums suck. :D

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Were you the one who said Face Of Melinda was the best track off of Still Life?

If yes, it sucks.

If not, it still sucks.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM

If yes, it sucks.

If not, it still sucks.
I just lost a great amount of respect for you. :mad:

Well not really, but what don't you like about it? Doesn't that first electric riff burst you into tears?

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Nope. The whole goddamn song bores me.

Godhead's Lament, now, THAT'S a good track off of the album. Me <3.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Pfft, The Moor slays it. :D

:lol: Yeah Godhead's is pretty good, I don't think it's the best off the album though. Probably 5th best, for me. I'll take the already mentioned 2, and Benighted and White Cluster over it easy.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I dunno, The Moor is pretty good, but you can't beat that one part in Godhead's Lament that almost sounds normal. :p

I'm giving Face Of Melinda another shot...just the intro man. The intro I can't stand...

Flynn
02-10-2006, 10:25 PM

If yes, it sucks.

If not, it still sucks.

You obviously don't understand the album as a ''whole'' if you honestly think Face Of Melinda sucks. You might as well throw away Still Life.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I was actually getting back at Dunkelheit for being an ***. :thumb:

I don't like the song much, from the one time I've heard it. I'm giving it another listen goddammit.

Flynn
02-10-2006, 10:31 PM

I don't like the song much, from the one time I've heard it. I'm giving it another listen goddammit.

What you need to do is read along with the lyrics from start to beginning while listening to the album. You'll appreciate it a lot more. :)

Darkness
02-10-2006, 10:32 PM
If you're talking about me wanting to anger Deth, it's more of an inside joke then anything. As for Kage, I was just joking around.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Urgh, always with the lyrics...

I know Opeth has good lyrics. I don't give a crap what lyrics say. Plain and simple.

Now, listening to Face Of Melinda again right before this, my opinion is such: when the distortion comes on to the end is decent enough. The rest...uggghh. I don't know what it is, I just don't like it.

I know you were joking, I was too. :P

Flynn
02-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Urgh, always with the lyrics...

I know Opeth has good lyrics. I don't give a crap what lyrics say. Plain and simple.

Opeth's lyrics are the ''heart'' of their music. Mikael just doesn't scream and sing random sentence fragments, not including Ghost Reveries.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Still, though, I don't listen to Opeth (or ANY band, for the matter) for their lyrics. I listen for the music.

And so far, Godhead's Lament is one of the best tracks on Still Life. Just finished that...tis genius. :)

Flynn
02-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Still, though, I don't listen to Opeth (or ANY band, for the matter) for their lyrics.

That's sad.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 10:57 PM
How is it sad? If you base a band solely around their lyrics, what you're saying is you could have a band that plays stuff like Greenday, yet writes awesome lyrics, and you'd still like it.

For me, somebody could write about sodomizing a cat for all I care, so long as the music is good.

Darkness
02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
I think what he's trying to say that the lyrics can be a large part of the music as well, and be very inspirational. It's like choosing to not listen to one whole aspect of a band.

Shattered_Future
02-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm sure they can, when they're good. Like Opeth.

However, I'm not going to let the quality of the lyrics dictate me from the quality of the music. If a band can write good lyrics with good music, more power to them. Shows that they are good.

However, they can write crappy lyrics with good music (ie Children Of Bodom, insert death metal band here), and it will still be fine with me.

Flynn
02-10-2006, 11:07 PM
How is it sad? If you base a band solely around their lyrics, what you're saying is you could have a band that plays stuff like Greenday, yet writes awesome lyrics, and you'd still like it.

For me, somebody could write about sodomizing a cat for all I care, so long as the music is good.

So. You're telling me if, for example, The Master's Apprentices had different lyrics you'd still like it because of the music?

''There is a rainbow calling for me
There is a unicorn I would ride
There is a magic trail
There is a trail leading to candy
There is land I am searching
There is a land full of pretty pony's
There is a peace on this planet
There is a peace I am so happy!''

Darkness
02-10-2006, 11:08 PM
I believe you can have excellent lyrics that are fun to sing along to, and average music, and still have a great song. But that's just me.

gmoneyguy
02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
I would not classify CoB as being musically good.

RustedPieces
02-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Would it be too much trouble for someone to e-mail it to me? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

loved2deth@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

RouteOne
02-10-2006, 11:32 PM
So. You're telling me if, for example, The Master's Apprentices had different lyrics you'd still like it because of the music?

There is a magic trail
Thats such a badass song.

Killtacular
02-10-2006, 11:36 PM

There is a magic trail
I wouldn't give a damn, myself. I couldn't care less what he's saying, as long as it sounds good.

RouteOne
02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
For me......I would like it to be all there. Good lyrics, good musicianship ect.

But I only listen to good music so I don't have to worry about anything. :cool:

Flynn
02-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't give a damn, myself. I couldn't care less what he's saying, as long as it sounds good.

Cool. Go back to the CoB thread then.

For me......I would like it to be all there. Good lyrics, good musicianship ect.

But I only listen to good music so I don't have to worry about anything. :cool:

Exactly. :chug:

Nostalgia
02-10-2006, 11:47 PM
But some of you are missing the point, lyrics can me tons in a band, when you read them in the book they sort of make you love the music more then you did, if the lyrics aren't sounding to good and aren't written to well, then they might not have the best of other attributes that make up a healthy band.

Flynn
02-10-2006, 11:51 PM
But some of you are missing the point, lyrics can me tons in a band, when you read them in the book they sort of make you love the music more then you did, if the lyrics aren't sounding to good and aren't written to well, then they might not have the best of other attributes that make up a healthy band.

I was wondering why certain people posting here didn't care about lyrics. That's absurd. For me, lyrics are the foundation of a song, not to mention the future backbone of a band. My thought's exactly, Thank you. :thumb:

Kage
02-11-2006, 12:45 AM
I would say that lyrics are the opposite of a backbone or foundation, but, especially in Opeth's case, I really enjoy good lyrics. But it's not a necessity. I'm not that picky on lyrics either; Certain things just really strike me well (Opeth, Dredg, for example) and some lyrics neither add nor subtract.

gmoneyguy
02-11-2006, 12:50 AM
I don't quite understand how he thinks that Opeth is inadequate musically.

denboy
02-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Cool. Go back to the CoB thread then.

Elitist prick

Stoo
02-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't listen to music for the lyrics. Sometimes I like to listen to them, but I concentrate on the music.

Jude
02-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't listen to music for the lyrics. Sometimes I like to listen to them, but I concentrate on the music.
Same here. But if the lyrics are particularly good then it really adds to the music, or if they particularly suck, it can make me not want to listen to an otherwise musically good band. However a lot of the time it's kind of how it is with, for example, Led Zeppelin: The music rules, the lyrics aren't particularly fantastic but not bad either, so I don't care one way or the other.

denboy
02-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Unless the lyrics are extraordinairily bad, or good, then i don't really care much

Sleepy
02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
The lyrics are not the foundation of a song. The rhythm section is (drums, bass, rhythm guitar riffs). The lead parts, keyboards and vocals are the overlying layer that really gives a band its flavor.

The lyrics are another overlying layer above the vocals, which again make a band what it is. I'm not saying they're not important, but just not a backbone of the music. Great lyrics can add so much to a song, especially when the vocal talent of whoever is singing (or screaming) them is good. Mikael Akerfeldt is a great example of what a skilled vocalist/lyricist can do for a band, along with Jari Maenpaa (Wintersun) and Aydan & Damnagoras (Elvenking).

Stoo
02-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Lyrics aren't the be all and end all, but if the guy is singing them is a twat, then I hate the music.

Twat as in really bad singer.

Jude
02-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Lyrics are the backbone of the song in some forms of music such as folk, but not in progressive death metal -- to clarify.

Shattered_Future
02-11-2006, 10:57 AM

There is a magic trail

Hell yes. Simply because that song has one of the greatest guitar riffs I've ever heard.

He could SING the goddamn lyrics, and I wouldn't care, simply because the music is so good.

azbassman
02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
i just got Still Life and Damnation.

Havent given either a full listen through yet, but so far my favorite track is The Moor.

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
i personally prefer there to be a balance of good music and good lyrics, though i do care about the music most i do care about the lyrics as well (just not quite as much) if theyre fine, theyre fine, if they strike me as exceptional, then thats awesome, if theyre utterly stupid then i just laugh along with them

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Bleak and Godheads Lament suck.

/runs
i agree with you on bleak but godheads lament????!!!! i wont act like a raving fangirl of the song but please tell me why you hate it! i love that song!

Darkness
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
:lol: It's a decent enough song, as I said after I said that. It's just overrated IMO, I'll take The Moor. Everybody loves that "what would they care..." line, but I'll take the "There is no forgiveness" from The Moor over it any day. :D

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
:lol: It's a decent enough song, as I said after I said that. It's just overrated IMO, I'll take The Moor. Everybody loves that "what would they care..." line, but I'll take the "There is no forgiveness" from The Moor over it any day. :D
really its overrated? i never heard poeple talking as much abpout it as they do with the moor (but its cool....both songs rule) i like not only the "what would they care" part, but EVERYTHING, distorted riffs, solos, singing, "aaaaah" part and all....

Darkness
02-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Whenever Still Life is brought up, that song is.

Shattered_Future
02-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, that pretty much IS the definitive song off of that album.

Cain
02-11-2006, 01:32 PM
It's pretty much the definitive Opeth song in general.

Flynn
02-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Whenever Still Life is brought up, that song is.

Whenever I see Still Life is brought up, Serenity Painted Death comes to mind. That's my absolute favorite track from that album.

Stoo
02-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Whenever I see Still Life is brought up, Serenity Painted Death comes to mind. That's my absolute favorite track from that album.
123! :chug:

Flynn
02-11-2006, 03:26 PM
123! :chug:

I love the last verse into the chorus, chills.

''Came with the moon
The wayward in concious state
Flanked and barred in destiny's end
Underneath with hope in laches
Swathed in filth, any would betoken
Starlit shadows on the wall
Finally there to collect me
From the bowels of sin''

''White faced, haggard grin this serenity painted DEATH!''

:chug:

Stoo
02-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I love the last verse into the chorus, chills.

''Came with the moon
The wayward in concious state
Flanked and barred in destiny's end
Underneath with hope in laches
Swathed in filth, any would betoken
Starlit shadows on the wall
Finally there to collect me
From the bowels of sin''

''White faced, haggard grin this serenity painted DEATH!''

:chug:

Hell yes.

Best growled vocal part by Mikael! Just the way he does it, so raw.

/Listens to Serenity Painted Death.

ok lateralus
02-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe its just me, but SPD never appealed to me that much. It has its moments, and is an essential part in the Still Life storyline, but a lot of it just feels disjointed.

BurningSky
02-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Serenity Painted Death is one of the first Opeth songs that I got into along with The Drapery Falls, Bleak, and Black Rose Immortal...

I remember the first few listens, it was very \m/ at the time and still is...

Shattered_Future
02-11-2006, 04:00 PM
SPD is probably one of my favorites off of Still Life.

Flynn
02-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Serenity Painted Death is one of the first Opeth songs that I got into along with The Drapery Falls, Bleak, and Black Rose Immortal...

I remember the first few listens, it was very \m/ at the time and still is...

Serenity Painted Death was the first song on Still Life that really ''awe'' struck me on my first listen. I can't explain why, it just did. Before I bought Still Life, I was really hardcore into My Arms, Your Hearse, and sort of expected the same style but it wasn't, and blew me away. I think Still Life is Opeth's most ''mature'' album.

TojesDolan
02-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Serenity painted death is an amazing song. My fave out of Still Life, for now at least.

Anyhow, in Opeth's lyrics I tend to see a little... meh factor at times.

For instance, Orchid and Morning Rise wer good lyrically, in my opinion. However, the peak of songwriting come in "Blackwater Park", just because it's all written with a lot of thought an probably time. Then, Deliverance, and partially Ghost Reveries are the ones that have the... somewhat simpler side of Mikael at writing.

The ones I left out, MAYH and Still life are good... but I still find Blackwater park as the very best lyrically by Opeth.

And the moral to my post is, I don't listen to lyrics very frecquently, but when I do I am overly picky about it,.

Toaster
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Serenity Painted Death really is awesome, it has such an evil feel to it. I think it's in my top 5 Opeth songs ever.

I don't think Deliverance has any really simplistic writing, besides maybe A Fair Judgement.

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 05:13 PM
A Fair Judgement is a great song. One of my favorites off of deliverance. It kind of reminds me of lounge jazz for some reason

DEER17
02-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Well mainly because of only hearing good things about Opeth on these forums i bought ghost reveries today, and i have to say i feel a little let down. I was really hoping he would have a more interesting scream, it really just doesn't appeal to much to me. It's bearable, but certainly not enjoyable in my opinion. Why do you all like it so much :confused: I'm not flaming or anything, i'm honestly asking. Furthermore i don't really like the lyrics, I guess they are too black metal for me. The parts i really do like are the acoustic and lighter sounding tracks with clean vocals over them, and i do appreciate their talent, and their arrangement but the growling/screaming really throws me off, did any of you feel the same way when you first listened to them? Are there any Opeth albums without any screaming?

Stoo
02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
well Ghost Reveries is not their best...

If you like the clean vocals and acousitc parts buy Damnation.

DEER17
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM
The only two they had were Orchid (i think)and Ghost Reveries and i just grabbed Ghost Reveries because it was newer... i should have known better *sigh* I'll check out damnation next time i'm at a cd store. Thanks :)

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Damnation is nowhere near Stuff like Benighted or Face Of Melinda. I wish damnation was more like that but i still enjoy it alot

Stoo
02-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Damnation is nowhere near Stuff like Benighted or Face Of Melinda. I wish damnation was more like that but i still enjoy it alot
It's still good though... He might like it...

Flynn
02-11-2006, 06:06 PM

I'm glad it isn't like that, who wants to hear the same style all the time? I like Damnation mainly because it doesn't sound like anything Opeth has done. It's a decent album and I am proud to say I listen to it frequently.

Toaster
02-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Well mainly because of only hearing good things about Opeth on these forums i bought ghost reveries today, and i have to say i feel a little let down. I was really hoping he would have a more interesting scream, it really just doesn't appeal to much to me. It's bearable, but certainly not enjoyable in my opinion. Why do you all like it so much :confused: I'm not flaming or anything, i'm honestly asking. Furthermore i don't really like the lyrics, I guess they are too black metal for me. The parts i really do like are the acoustic and lighter sounding tracks with clean vocals over them, and i do appreciate their talent, and their arrangement but the growling/screaming really throws me off, did any of you feel the same way when you first listened to them? Are there any Opeth albums without any screaming?

Most modern metal has screaming or growling these days. I suggest you listen more, get used to this vocal style, and learn to enjoy it. If you don't, you're missing a huge musical experience.

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm glad it isn't like that, who wants to hear the same style all the time? I like Damnation mainly because it doesn't sound like anything Opeth has done. It's a decent album and I am proud to say I listen to it frequently.

Hah ok. I didn't mean to say "I wish it was more like that" But i meant to say it could've been more dare i say, emotional. Damnation has great songs like windowpane, in my time of need and Ending Credits but i can feel more emotion when i listen to Benighted and Face of Melinda. But this is just my opinion.

Also, is there a bass solo in requiem? I haven't bought Orchid yet so i don't really know. I just downloaded a guitar pro file and there was a bass solo in there

Flynn
02-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Also, is there a bass solo in requiem? I haven't bought Orchid yet so i don't really know. I just downloaded a guitar pro file and there was a bass solo in there

It's not a solo, it's the root of all the chords progressed in the song. The Bass follows the guitars most of the time. It's a great bassline, because when it follows the guitars, it's on a totally different key at times. Requiem is one of my favorite instrumentals, too bad it's so short. :angry:

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
ah ok. Care to upload?

Darkness
02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Yes, Damnation if you like the clean stuff. But I recommend you give the heavier stuff another try. GR was pretty weak IMO, so try Blackwater Park or Still Life. Much better quality albums.

Flynn
02-11-2006, 06:37 PM
ah ok. Care to upload?

Buy the album. It's worth it.

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 06:54 PM
The link doesn't work, plus i think its illegal to post links to copyrighted material. sorry bout that

Neurotripsicks
02-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Hell yes. Simply because that song has one of the greatest guitar riffs I've ever heard.

He could SING the goddamn lyrics, and I wouldn't care, simply because the music is so good.

singing during the opening riff would of ruined the song. you should read along with the lyrics sometime then maybe you will understand.

Darkness
02-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, clean singing over that part of the song would have sucked majorly.

Tyr
02-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I second that.

Flynn
02-11-2006, 07:09 PM
It would be like Mikael growling through the entire song of Benighted. It would suck.

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 07:20 PM
i actually hated it the first time i listened to it but now i think its great

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 07:21 PM
you need to give it some time to grow on you. to quote from a cd review, it "is not fast food" :thumb:

Flynn
02-11-2006, 07:29 PM

To get into Opeth's music, you first have to understand Opeth's music. Mikaels voice is vast, with out a doubt he has the widest range and ability and talent as a singer in any genre. The reason why he growls is because it's the most vulgar way to display a voice in vocals. Some of Opeth's music is volatile hence his beautiful growl. Some of Opeth's music is sad or uplifting, in which he sings at this time. But, on ocasion, there are volatile lyrics in which he sings then bursts out into growling to bring the true feel of a climax of the song. Opeth's music is all about variance. A difference between what is expected and what actually occurs. Mikael hates when music is expected, hence his wide variety and range of his musical ability. Give it time, it'll grow on you like vines.

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 07:34 PM
well said

Otherside
02-11-2006, 07:37 PM

You picked a bad album to start out on, try Blackwater Park if you want to get into them.

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 07:48 PM
You picked a bad album to start out on, try Blackwater Park if you want to get into them.
what is wrong with GR as a first album?

MidnightRider
02-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Nothing really, but BWP and Still Life are probably better starting points.

Otherside
02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
what is wrong with GR as a first album?

I've known alot of people who bought GR as their first album, and none of them were too impressed with it, but when I let them borrow BWP they loved it, and said it was alot better than GR.

Whale and Wasp
02-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I've known alot of people who bought GR as their first album, and none of them were too impressed with it, but when I let them borrow BWP they loved it, and said it was alot better than GR.
really?

GR was my first opeth album and i thought it kicked *** and it was like a gateway into opeth's music and metal with screaming vocals, but when i heard BWP i thought it was mediocre

Otherside
02-11-2006, 08:34 PM
really?

GR was my first opeth album and i thought it kicked *** and it was like a gateway into opeth's music and metal with screaming vocals, but when i heard BWP i thought it was mediocre

-shrugs- just going by experience here.

One guy said he fell asleep halfway through :\

I personally like the album, but Morningrise is my favorite, closely followed by BWP And Still Life.

Stormrider
02-11-2006, 08:45 PM
My first and only was Morningrise. Except I new other stuff from the other albums before buying it. Its not like I was new to the band...I should be getting Orchid next. Or whichever one is in stores next time I go.

Panvium
02-11-2006, 08:56 PM
My first Opeth cd was Ghost Reveries, Ghost of Perdition is what got me hooked on Opeth. Although i do like Blackwater Park more.

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Buy the album. It's worth it.

I didnt have enough. It was 45$

Stormrider
02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
I didnt have enough. It was 45$

45 $ :amaze:

I thought the 30.99$ I saw it at in stores was expensive...

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 09:07 PM
45 $ :amaze:

I thought the 30.99$ I saw it at in stores was expensive...

I was going to say im Canadian but i see you are too :lol:

The reason it was 45$ was because it was HMV. I usually buy CDs From A&B music but i think it closed down. And they didnt have orchid at CD plus, so i just bought a wintersun CD.

HMV sucks

Stormrider
02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Guess what...It was in an HMV that I saw it :p

Well the HMV I go still has a lot of stuff...well I think.

Where in Canada do you live ?

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
lol. crap. When i bought bwp, it was 27.99 But it was well worth it. I ont think HMV has all that much different artists whereas CD plus has alot of underground black metal and death metal. Lower prices too.

Np. Dirge For November

I live in NW Ontario where it gets all rezzed out. Its about 4-5 hours from a city called Thunder Bay

Stormrider
02-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I have never seen a cd plus. But I usualy buy cd's at around 24.99$, sometimes lower.

Deth
02-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Thunder Bay is about the coolest city name ever. I tend to do my buying at FYE, which has a decent metal section which I'm willing to pay an extra 2 or 3 dollars for.

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 09:27 PM
24.99 is a decent price.

When i used to buy at a&b music, i bought 5 cds for 70 dollars.

I think they were

Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Morningrise
Shadows Fall - The War Within
And a Belphegor album

But at hmv or cd plus, id be buying 3-4 CDs

Thunder Bay is about the coolest city name ever. I tend to do my buying at FYE, which has a decent metal section which I'm willing to pay an extra 2 or 3 dollars for.

Ive never went to an FYE

WHOOO! This thread hit the 11,000 mark

Deth
02-11-2006, 09:56 PM
It's an American chain. It's OK, for some reason some are great and others are terrible.

Thor
02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Does anyone here have Orchid? If so I would really like to trade for it.

Deth
02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I do indeed. I won't be able to trade right now, but if you give me a day or so I can YSI if you like.

Crysiss
02-11-2006, 10:05 PM
I do indeed. I won't be able to trade right now, but if you give me a day or so I can YSI if you like.

Mind sending a link my way?

nightrise713@gmail.com

I only plan on downloading requiem