PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

denboy
01-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Overrated is a word that doesn't exist in my brain.. i try not to let other peoples opinion colour my musical tastes.. I do use other peoples opinions to decide what music I'm gonna spend time on listening to, but that's only because there's so much music out there that listening to it all to find out what is good and what isn't, isn't a feasable option

Shadius
01-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I agree. Really good, just slightly over rated for my liking. But still, they have a very interesting style, which i love in a band.

Think thats why i love Opeth so much, because they dare to do things differently.
Plenty of people are going to complain about how you cant go from a metal riff to a finger picked acoustic part, but Opeth do that because they want to.
And that fking rules! \m/

I agree with Knifeboy on the overrated thing, fans are obviously going to hype a band, It's not like the mass media is or anything (read: Coldplay's new album).

I live reasonably near Bradford, btw. :eek:

Det_Nosnip
01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I find that I can't stop listening to the Deliverance album lately. I dunno what it is...especially the beginning of Master's Apprentices. :eek:

MidnightRider
01-10-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't think it's right to pick a favorite between Tool and Opeth, they're so different. It's like choosing between eggs and bacon, why not just have both?

Knifeboy - I agree, the term overrated is thrown around way too casually here.

Toaster
01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Tool are a good band, I just don't see how you can say they sound like they put more effort into their music than Opeth. If anything, to me Tool sound like they do drugs and study magick most of the time, and they happen to be in a very good band. The riffing is simplistic, the drumming is good but really, that doesn't contribute to the songwriting or originality, Maynard has a pretty good voice (he fails on vocal control, though), and the bass is very good in all aspects. Altogether they don't make me want to listen to them nearly as much as Opeth. I used to be a huge Tool fan, until I found bands I find far more interesting and innovative.

Shadius
01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Tool are a good band, I just don't see how you can say they sound like they put more effort into their music than Opeth. If anything, to me Tool sound like they do drugs and study magick most of the time, and they happen to be in a very good band. The riffing is simplistic, the drumming is good but really, that doesn't contribute to the songwriting or originality, Maynard has a pretty good voice (he fails on vocal control, though), and the bass is very good in all aspects. Altogether they don't make me want to listen to them nearly as much as Opeth. I used to be a huge Tool fan, until I found bands I find far more interesting and innovative.

Maynards vocal control is one of the best i've seen from many, many singers. You could say that Tool put more effort into their music in the (song) editing and perfecting aspect, which Opeth have done little of on most of their albums (Steven Wilson saved them on the album editing, although he only produced for a couple of weeks). Luckily Mikael just happens to be a genius, so they come out great anyway.

Toaster
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I find that Maynard hits some bum notes often. Just as one example, his short scream in Parabola at about 1:25 is far off-key. I also thought the production on Aenima was garbage. I'm not too sure how you'd know how much "song editing" the two bands use, but it feels to me like Opeth's material is more well-thought out. Don't get me wrong, I still like Tool but some of the pretense that goes along with their music bugs me. (I'm not saying you're pretentious.)

Ghost Of Perdition
01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I live reasonably near Bradford, btw. :eek:

Cool, where bouts?

Shadius
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Cool, where bouts?

York. I'm at Uni elsewhere though.

And Toaster, I know Opeth do little editing of songs, Mikael has mentioned as much himself. He got to a point in the Delievernce/Damnation recording where he just wanted to shove the parts together that he'd written to get it over with. He also mentions that since MAYH there has been little or no rehearsing done before going into the studio, and the songs were all unfinished.

Tool spend a longer time in the studio, I can only assume they spend a longer time editing their songs, strcuture wise and studio wise. Or perhaps they spend all that time bathing in plum sause, who knows.

Anyway, you can't really compare the two bands, they both work in VERY different ways, and sound very different.

Pale-Folklore
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
my favourite opeth album is morningrise FOR SURE (i haven't actually heard all of the others, but morningrise is their masterpiece)

all 5 songs are just amazing and are so well put together. black rose immortal has one of my favourite guitar riffs/parts ever (the riff played overtop the lyrics
"i have kept it
the amaranth symbol
hidden inside the golden shrine
until we rejoice in the meadow
of the end
when we both walk the shadows
it will set ablaze and vanish"

wow. amazing album. my second favourite would be still life probably

Otherside
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Tool are so much more overrated than Opeth its funny. But it shouldn't have an affect on your opinion on the bands anyways.

On another note, I'm going to see Opeth when they come here :D

Hopefully will be a great show.

Det_Nosnip
01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
the drumming is good but really, that doesn't contribute to the songwriting or originality

*sigh* What's it going to take for us drummers to get some respect from you a$sholes? :p

Danny Carey is alot more than good, and his playing greatly contributes to the songwriting and originality of the music. So they're not guitar based. Boohoo. They're still very creative, and definitely original. Many of the songs, especially on the last album, explore alot of interesting phrasings that go over the barline and are in odd time signatures, and they often feature advanced structures that definitely aren't featured in your run of the mill typical rock band.

Deth
01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
It will be.

I need more of their tourdates dammit!

I'm Charming
01-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Opeth came to portland and I was a idiot and didn't go....

Please shooooot me.:wave:

Toaster
01-10-2006, 04:49 PM
*sigh* What's it going to take for us drummers to get some respect from you a$sholes? :p

Danny Carey is alot more than good, and his playing greatly contributes to the songwriting and originality of the music. So they're not guitar based. Boohoo. They're still very creative, and definitely original. Many of the songs, especially on the last album, explore alot of interesting phrasings that go over the barline and are in odd time signatures, and they often feature advanced structures that definitely aren't featured in your run of the mill typical rock band.

Not to start up this argument again, but..

Maybe to an advanced drummer he helps the music along. To me, his drumming isn't outwardly amazing enough to make the music any more interesting. I'm sure Danny Carey is a great drummer, but to me his drumlines don't sound really interesting or catchy unless I soley focus on them.

Is anyone else going to see Opeth on Feb 28th? I'm already really psyched for that show.

Deth
01-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Even though I'm not a huge Tool fan, I would say the drumming is amazing and one of the best parts of the band.

Futuro
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Half the reason I like Tool more is because of the live show. But someone can say they dont like seeing stuff floating and falling and wierd lights and pictures. So whatever.

Saw the video for Grand....Co.....(Limited vocabulary) I totaly wanted that girl to sit on the toilet seat and have the snake enter her pooper :p

Stoo
01-10-2006, 05:19 PM
So what's everyones favourite Opeth album...??

Joke. :p

B E S T O F 2 0 0 5 - G H O S T R E V E R I E S

METAL HAMMER: Critics Poll – #1 Best Album of 2005.
TERRORIZER: Readers Poll – #1 Best Band, Best Album, Best Musician (Mikael), Best Vocalist (Mikael), Best Cover Art. #2 Best Live Act, Personality of the Year (Mikael).
TERRORIZER: Writers Poll – #5 Best Album.
ROCKSOUND: Readers Poll - #2 Best Album, #5 Best International Band
KERRANG!: Critics Poll – 12th Best Album.
TOTAL GUITAR: #36 - 50 Best Guitar Albums of 2005
CLASSIC ROCK: #5 Best 50 Albums Of 2005
METALEATER: #1 Best Metal album of 2005
METAL TEMPLE MAGAZINE - According to the staff: #2 BEST ALBUM and #1 Opeth + Nevermore BEST BAND (overall)
METALFAN, Hungary: #1 Metalfan top 2005
CMJ Loud rock: # 1 (Most played record of 2005)
BW&BK: Writers - #4
CLOSE-UP: Writers - #2
METAL MANIACS: #1 Metal Maniacs
DECIBEL: #2 Decibel
UNSTRAINED!: #1 Unrestrained!
WSOU: #7, top 89 records of the year - radiostation in Jersey

Opeth are really getting some recognition. :thumb:

Even if it was for Ghost Reveries... Still one of the best metal albums this year.

Deth
01-10-2006, 05:23 PM
They deserve it all. What I don't understand is how they got all this and still only debut at #64 on the Billboard charts.

Ghost Of Perdition
01-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Kinda off topic ish, but, see what ya's think...

www.myspace.com/adi_666

Darkness
01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
They deserve it all. What I don't understand is how they got all this and still only debut at #64 on the Billboard charts.
Isn't that because that includes like, every genre? They got first place in all the metal competitions and stuff like that. Those don't include rock,rap etc.

Jude
01-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Extreme prog-metal isn't exactly chart-topping material.

Shadius
01-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Isn't that because that includes like, every genre? They got first place in all the metal competitions and stuff like that. Those don't include rock,rap etc.

Opeth wern't well known at all before Backwater Park, their breakthrough record. Ghost Reveries has surpassed that by far in terms of sales and exposure. I'd be happy with what they've got this year. They're not massively well known, but most people into Alternative music/Metal should have at least heard of them now. Finally getting recognition, and i'm sure this exposure will get them tons of new fans and sell all their old records too. I love seeing them get recognition from being so overlooked and almost unknown for a long time.

^ I agree with Jude too. Haha.

supra_speed
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
I find that I can't stop listening to the Deliverance album lately. I dunno what it is...especially the beginning of Master's Apprentices. :eek:
I love the start of Wreath. So Heavy! \m/

MidnightRider
01-10-2006, 09:21 PM
I've got a guitar store down the road from my house, and every Friday a buncha people hang out there and play and talk about music and stuff. Most of the people there have heard of Opeth, it's cool to have someone outside of MX to talk about 'em with.

NP: The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (Great song to chill to)

The Cynic
01-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I've got a guitar store down the road from my house, and every Friday a buncha people hang out there and play and talk about music and stuff. Most of the people there have heard of Opeth, it's cool to have someone outside of MX to talk about 'em with.

NP: The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (Great song to chill to)

Lucky, where I live everybody listens to rap or country. And the selected few of us have actually heard of Opeth, Nevermore, Emperor, etc. And the others that listen to metal are the freshman that think CoF is the best band next to Slipknot.

Werny
01-10-2006, 11:25 PM

Since when is Opeth more innovative than Tool? Opeth haven't done anything innovative, or had any progression whatsoever, since Still Life.

Tool, on the other hand, progress with every song, I feel.

They both have very similar writing styles though. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, then the rest of the song has no structure. And they both enjoy long instrumental sections (Hours of Wealth from Opeth, Ticks and Leeches from Tool). Yeah.

MrJack
01-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Its rap 24/7 out here. But being black, I love the look I get when people hear me listning to Opeth and other metal as the "GRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL" emits from my car. :naughty:

I only got my other 2 friends to talk music with...and I don't get to see them often.

Moses
01-10-2006, 11:44 PM
How can you say Maynard fails in the vocal control department? Listen to Parabol and come back to me. I'm a vocalist and let me tell you it's quite the acheivement. I think sometimes his tone is annoying but other than that he's pretty good.

Tool are pretty innovative, original, and above all, interesting. I'd say they're a little more interesting than Opeth. Not as epic, but certainly interesting.

However saying that they haven't progressed since Still Life is a little dumb isn't it? I mean GR is probably their most progressive album yet, not with a traditional Opeth sound but definately progressive.

Det_Nosnip
01-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Half the reason I like Tool more is because of the live show. But someone can say they dont like seeing stuff floating and falling and wierd lights and pictures. So whatever.

Saw the video for Grand....Co.....(Limited vocabulary) I totaly wanted that girl to sit on the toilet seat and have the snake enter her pooper :p

You're really, really weird. :lol:

Det_Nosnip
01-11-2006, 12:41 AM
However saying that they haven't progressed since Still Life is a little dumb isn't it? I mean GR is probably their most progressive album yet, not with a traditional Opeth sound but definately progressive.

Agreed. Wilson really brought out the progressive side of Opeth on the Blackwater Park album, and even without him producing GR, the spirit was still there. It was almost more a progressive album than a Death metal record, which is probably why it has sparked so much controversy and criticism among the ranks.

Werny
01-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Yeah, ok I didn't think about GR and Damnation when I said that. But Blackwater Park and Deliverance do nothing to progress their sound in my opinion, their songs have mostly the same structure throughout.

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Yeah, ok I didn't think about GR and Damnation when I said that. But Blackwater Park and Deliverance do nothing to progress their sound in my opinion, their songs have mostly the same structure throughout.

Blackwater Park and Damnation are my favorite Opeth albums.

I enjoy the softer Opeth more. Blackwater Park seemed to have the best balence between heavy and softer.

I really dislike GR...

UpperDecker
01-11-2006, 07:05 AM
How do you guys think Opeth will change it up for their next record? What do you think they'll do different?

Deth
01-11-2006, 08:01 AM
I think there will be a heavier integration of keyboards and more traditional prog influences on the next album. There's no way to know until then though.

Jude
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Its rap 24/7 out here. But being black, I love the look I get when people hear me listning to Opeth and other metal as the "GRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL" emits from my car. :naughty:

I only got my other 2 friends to talk music with...and I don't get to see them often.
Whoa, a black guy that listens to Opeth?

*h5*

Hells Bells
01-11-2006, 12:35 PM

Haha that's awesome :lol:

You hear that complaint a lot from people who are into metal...even when the scene where they are is supposed to be strong.

Det_Nosnip
01-11-2006, 12:42 PM

Blackwater Park is a much more advanced album than Still Life, although they are tied for my favorites. Most of the biggest advances were in production and vocal harmony, but BWP also saw the use of odd time signatures (Lepar Affinity, Drapery Falls). Deliverance also pushed that even further, with probably their most progressive song to date (Deliverance).

Shattered_Future
01-11-2006, 02:54 PM
HOLY CRAP THERE'S AN AGE LIMIT FOR THE OPETH CONCERT!!!!!

It's 12+. :p

I'M GOING TO SEE ****ING OPETH!!!! Provided I get tickets/convince folks.

Hells Bells
01-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Nice ;)

My show's on the 28th....I have until then to try to convince people to get off their lazy asses and come to what's going to be one of the best shows this year.

Kage
01-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Blackwater Park is a much more advanced album than Still Life, although they are tied for my favorites. Most of the biggest advances were in production and vocal harmony, but BWP also saw the use of odd time signatures (Lepar Affinity, Drapery Falls). Deliverance also pushed that even further, with probably their most progressive song to date (Deliverance).
Exactly my perspective. Indeed, I think SL life and BWP are definately Opeth's best albums.

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
HOLY CRAP THERE'S AN AGE LIMIT FOR THE OPETH CONCERT!!!!!

It's 12+. :p

I'M GOING TO SEE ****ING OPETH!!!! Provided I get tickets/convince folks.
Man, I wish I could see Opeth, but of course, being in NZ doesn't help.

Anyway, I am hopeless on black metal and I'll have to get around to listening to more of it. Would Eternal Soul Torture (bonus track on Morningrise) be considered black metal at all?

EDIT: YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
OPETH IS TOURING IN NZ IN APRIL. YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
W00000000000000000TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I cannot believe this. I just took a look on the tour section on their website. Wow... I have never been to a concert before, let alone an Opeth one. Bloody hell, I simply cannot believe my luck.

Det_Nosnip
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM
No, Opeth are not black metal. Check out some Darkthrone, Immortal, or early Emperor.

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 03:59 PM
No, Opeth are not black metal. Check out some Darkthrone, Immortal, or early Emperor.
I know Opeth definitely isn't black metal. I consider them progressive death metal. But I wasn't sure about that one song. After all, it is a bonus track and I thought they might have been experimenting.

The only black metal I've listened to so far is Gorgoroth and bit of new Burzum.

Meanwhile, does anyone know if/when Lopez would be with Opeth on tour in April? I know he was having a few problems.

Whale and Wasp
01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
/listens to orchid for the first time

i LOVE this album!

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 04:44 PM
/listens to orchid for the first time

i LOVE this album!

Blackwater Park is the best.

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Mmm, Blackwater Park is my fav Opeth album. I like Morningrise quite a lot as well. I feel Damnation is underrated - a lot of Opeth fans seem to disregard it. It had some pretty nice basswork and drumming.

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Mmm, Blackwater Park is my fav Opeth album. I like Morningrise quite a lot as well. I feel Damnation is underrated - a lot of Opeth fans seem to disregard it. It had some pretty nice basswork and drumming.

Damnation is my second favorite. You can't beat the melodies in it....

MrJack
01-11-2006, 05:02 PM
I just got Blackwater Park. And its GRRRREAT! Granted, this is only the second album I've heard. <_<....yet.

ok lateralus
01-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Blackwater Park is really great but can't compare to Morningrise, MAYH, Deliverance or Still Life

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Damnation is my second favorite. You can't beat the melodies in it....
Yeah, I only mentioned the basswork and drumming; but in reality - everything is good about it. It's a great way to get people into Opeth, even if it isn't true Opeth.

Blackwater Park is really great but can't compare to Morningrise, MAYH, Deliverance or Still LifeWhen fans can't come to a consensus on what albums/songs are the best ones, it's usually a sign that the band is good. I love Opeth.

ok lateralus
01-11-2006, 05:18 PM
When fans can't come to a consensus on what albums/songs are the best ones, it's usually a sign that the band is good. I love Opeth.

Yeah. Really, all their albums are amazing, the only one that is just slightly, slightly lacking is Ghost Reveries- but still it undoubtedly has a couple of their finest songs and some other great ones also. Each album has it's own unique sound or qualities.

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah. Really, all their albums are amazing, the only one that is just slightly, slightly lacking is Ghost Reveries- but still it undoubtedly has a couple of their finest songs and some other great ones also. Each album has it's own unique sound or qualities.
Yeah, Ghost Reveries is still great though. Ghost of Perdition is now one of my fav Opeth songs. But then again, I have a lot of fav Opeth songs :).

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I only mentioned the basswork and drumming; but in reality - everything is good about it. It's a great way to get people into Opeth, even if it isn't true Opeth.

How can you call any of their albums "true opeth"... They change their sound alot each album...

Flynn
01-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Since when is Opeth more innovative than Tool? Opeth haven't done anything innovative, or had any progression whatsoever, since Still Life.

You really need to read some of Opeth's Lyrics, and listen to more then just Still Life.

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 06:12 PM
How can you call any of their albums "true opeth"... They change their sound alot each album...
Well, I don't consider any albums true Opeth, but Damnation is the stand out different Opeth album. If you recommend Damnation to a 'non heavy music person', chances are that they'll like it. However, if you recommend another Opeth album after that, they'll find it very different to Damnation in terms of heavyness. Some will go on and listen to more Opeth and like it. Some will turn the other way due to the heavyness. But no, I don't consider any of their albums "true Opeth".

Darkness
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I find Tool to be more progressive then Opeth indeed. Still Life is similar to Blackwater Park, but after that they took an un natural progression and made an album that was ment to be heavy, and one that was ment to be soft. GR is pretty progressive sounding, with more keyboards and stuff, but... well it's just not that good of an album. :p

As for Tool, theres a radical change from every album.

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
You really need to read some of Opeth's Lyrics, and listen to more then just Still Life.

You'd think he would have thought of that.

The lyrics are some of the best from a metal band I've read. Amon Amarth has really awsome lyrics also.....

Will Opeth go prog all the way? Or will we see a more balenced album next time around?

Flynn
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
You'd think he would have thought of that.

The lyrics are some of the best from a metal band I've read. Amon Amarth has really awsome lyrics also.....

Will Opeth go prog all the way? Or will we see a more balenced album next time around?

If it's heavy, has melodic twin leads, and classical acoustics...I'll be happy.:chug:

I find Tool to be more progressive then Opeth indeed. Still Life is similar to Blackwater Park, but after that they took an un natural progression and made an album that was ment to be heavy, and one that was ment to be soft. GR is pretty progressive sounding, with more keyboards and stuff, but... well it's just not that good of an album. :p

As for Tool, theres a radical change from every album.

I don't know, all Tool sounds the same to me. Opeth have progressed a helluva lot more then Tool IMO. Opeth have a wider range of musical ability as opposed to Tool making them more innovative.

N.P. Down The Slopes Of Death ~ Amon Amarth

Darkness
01-11-2006, 06:24 PM
If it's heavy, has melodic twin leads, and classical acoustics...I'll be happy.:chug:

I don't know, all Tool sounds the same to me. Opeth have progressed a helluva lot more then Tool IMO. Opeth have a wider range of musical ability as opposed to Tool.

N.P. Down The Slopes Of Death ~ Amon Amarth
You're the second person I've seen say all Tool sounds the same. I know this is opinionated, but listen to Opiate, then listen to Lateralus. There is large difference there. People may only see Opeth has more progression, but they have double the albums Tool does. I bet you that Tool's new release, (April-May) will blow GR away, in terms of everything.

rhcp pman
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Are you guys arguing about whether Tool or Opeth are more progressive in terms of the songs themselves, or just their general sounds over time/albums?

Flynn
01-11-2006, 06:28 PM
You're the second person I've seen say all Tool sounds the same. I know this is opinionated, but listen to Opiate, then listen to Lateralus. There is large difference there. People may only see Opeth has more progression, but they have double the albums Tool does. I bet you that Tool's new release, (April-May) will blow GR away, in terms of everything.

As far as vocals, all guitars and lyrics...every Tool album has that certain pattern. Don't get me wrong, I love Tool and know they're talented musicians. When compared to Opeth, especially dealing with innovation, I put my vote for Opeth being they cover so much ground.

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 06:30 PM
As far as vocals, all guitars and lyrics...every Tool album has that certain pattern. Don't get me wrong, I love Tool and know they're talented musicians. When compared to Opeth, especially dealing with innovation, I put my vote for Opeth being they cover so much ground.

100% correct. Tool sounds the same on every album... Don't get me wrong they are good... just nowhere in the league of Opeth.

Darkness
01-11-2006, 06:31 PM
This is to opinionated to keep going, so forget it.

Flynn
01-11-2006, 06:37 PM
100% correct. Tool sounds the same on every album... Don't get me wrong they are good... just nowhere in the league of Opeth.

Someone was saying something about radical changes throughout Tool's albums, what about Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse? Or Orchid to Blackwater Park? If I didn't know who Opeth was, and listened to Orchid, then Blackwater Park...I would think they are two different bands. Opeth have changed dramatically throught the years; morphed into who they are today. I can't think of one band that have changed their style that much and still sound extraordinary.

Darkness
01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Thats what I was saying about Tool, just over the span of less albums.

Flynn
01-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Thats what I was saying about Tool, just over the span of less albums.

Tool have had an amazing band life as well, I do agree.

Deth
01-11-2006, 08:18 PM
If we just talk about the first four albums, I think Orchid to Still Life has a larger span than Opiate to Lateralus.

Just an opinion though.

I'm Charming
01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
If we just talk about the first four albums, I think Orchid to Still Life has a larger span than Opiate to Lateralus.

Just an opinion though.

I agree.

Shattered_Future
01-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Someone was saying something about radical changes throughout Tool's albums, what about Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse? Or Orchid to Blackwater Park? If I didn't know who Opeth was, and listened to Orchid, then Blackwater Park...I would think they are two different bands. Opeth have changed dramatically throught the years; morphed into who they are today. I can't think of one band that have changed their style that much and still sound extraordinary.

Based on Demon Of The Fall and Morningrise, the only thing that sounds REALLY different is the vocals, and even those aren't a big change. They still pretty much held to their style of not repeating riffs much in a song, aside from the time that the riff was played.

Deth
01-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Nah, the riffs in MAYH were much more powerful where Morningrises were harmony based. The acoustic guitar has completely different uses on the albums, and the addition of Lopez was a subtle change as well.

Listen to the two albums back to back and you would notice quite a difference.

Moses
01-11-2006, 09:12 PM
This is to opinionated to keep going, so forget it.
Sorry but this has bugged me more than once. The correct spelling in that context is too.

MidnightRider
01-11-2006, 09:26 PM

I think Opeth's lyrics are their most overlooked component. They really are outstanding, and very deep for the most part. The songs become much more enjoyable if you at least slightly understand what they're about.

lost_profits
01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd say Lateralus is easily Tool's best album. Aenima becomes increasingly more flat with each listen. Lateralus keeps growing on me with each listen.

The only truly 'progressive' album by Tool would be Lateralus. Argue if you like but during Aenima and Undertow, Tool were still finding their 'progressive' sound. I still listen to Tool on occassion, I just don't find their music as moving as when I first heard them.

I think Opeth have progressed in that they've utilized their strengths to the absolute maximum - Mikael started off Orchid with a raspy scream, and by MAYH he had fine-tuned his death metal vocals to a thing of huge brutality. But then again listen to something like 'Hours of Wealth' and compare it to earlier work like 'Sillhouette'. The years and years of influences and external ideas (Steve wilson) has certainly helped Opeth progress. Those two songs sound like two different bands could've made them.

Darkness
01-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Sorry but this has bugged me more than once. The correct spelling in that context is too.
You have to stop that man... :lol:

Moses
01-11-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't have any rational explanation for that but it really irritates me. Knowing you, you'll keep on going.

Darkness
01-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't have any rational explanation for that but it really irritates me. Knowing you, you'll keep on going.
Damn right. :D

Werny
01-11-2006, 11:47 PM

Ah yes, but in the end BWP is less-complicated than Still Life. All of the songs on BWP (with the exception of 3 short songs) start out heavy, have a little acoustic/clean bit, continue with heavy. Still Life, after the first three songs, continually swaps between acoustic, clean and heavy without warning. It's unpredictable.

In fact, even though I've only heard 1 track from each of their first three albums, I can say Opeth have been getting less progressive as they go! I don't hear anything on their latest albums that is courageous as Black Rose Immortal or The Apostle In Triumph.

I do appreciate Deliverance for being a bit courageous with the first two songs, it's my favourite album by Opeth anyway, but it really does nothing different. Eeeexcept for combining growling with acoustics in By The Pain I See In Others.

Umm... I listen to Still Life very rarely, and what do their lyrics (which I don't really like) have to do with progression?

The only truly 'progressive' album by Tool would be Lateralus. Argue if you like but during Aenima and Undertow, Tool were still finding their 'progressive' sound. I still listen to Tool on occassion, I just don't find their music as moving as when I first heard them.

Could you please listen to Pushi.t and Third Eye, then revise that statement?

rhcp pman
01-12-2006, 04:30 AM
So does anyone know the situation on Martin Lopez? Will he be drumming with Opeth by April?

Because I will finally get to see Opeth on tour in April if all goes well. It'll be my first concert ever, thanks to NZ being a small country.

matt4
01-12-2006, 05:53 AM
I decided long ago to not even compare tool and opeth because they are nothing alike. I mean, really guys, how do you fairly compare these bands? They sound nothing completely different and the only reason anyone is saying what they are saying is because one band's music happens to appeal to their taste a little more, so they start saying crap about the other band as though they don't love them both :P Why don't we compare Pink Floyd and Nile while we're at it? :rolleyes:

:smash: :smash: :smash:

Werny
01-12-2006, 06:33 AM
So does anyone know the situation on Martin Lopez? Will he be drumming with Opeth by April?

Because I will finally get to see Opeth on tour in April if all goes well. It'll be my first concert ever, thanks to NZ being a small country.

Someone said that even if he recovers by then he won't be, seeing as touring is so stressful.

My question is... with someone else drumming for them, is it still worthwhile seeing Opeth instead of Cryptopsy?

And also... tickets for the Opeth concert I'm going to (if Cryptopsy don't announce dates before then) are supposed to go on sale in the middle of this month, but neither the venue nor ticket company seem to have even heard of Opeth playing. Is this normal? I kinda want to know how much the tickets are and if there's an age-limit before the time comes to purchase them.

Jude
01-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Opeth > any band with "Crypt" or "Necro" in the name

denboy
01-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Opeth > any band starting with an N or M

Deth
01-12-2006, 07:23 AM
*Thinks about it for a minute*

*agrees*

Jude
01-12-2006, 08:35 AM
*Thinks about it for a minute*

*agrees*
Yeah, I guess it is true...I'm not sure what he was referring to though.

Shadius
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Loads of bands have changed their sound argueably as much as Opeth has. Radiohead, Tool, even a band like a Avenged Sevenfold from their first to their latest, they're playing a different style of music now.

Opeth were more melodic/harmonised/Iron Maiden style guitar thing going on on the first two albums, then they got more dissonant, added more clean vocals, the growls got deeper, then they mixed the styles together a bit more and went more progressive and unpredictable in the songwriting, adding new elements from different genres and such. These are diffinate differences, but the... core sound has somehow stayed fairly similar. The albums still have a lot in common even though the sounds themselves might be different.

Tool on the other hand, are writing different types of songs now. They start with like straightforward 3-4 minute hard rock songs, and now they're writing way more complex 8 minute+ epics with a progressive twist.

Anyway, it's all subjective. They're changed their sound around enough to keep interesting, that's a plus.

Det_Nosnip
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Ah yes, but in the end BWP is less-complicated than Still Life.
No, it's not.

All of the songs on BWP (with the exception of 3 short songs) start out heavy, have a little acoustic/clean bit, continue with heavy. Still Life, after the first three songs, continually swaps between acoustic, clean and heavy without warning. It's unpredictable.
Unpredictable swaps between acoustic, clean and heavy do not make a band more progressive. Notwithstanding, there are plenty of scattered switches...e.g. Drapery Falls, Bleak.

In fact, even though I've only heard 1 track from each of their first three albums, I can say Opeth have been getting less progressive as they go! I don't hear anything on their latest albums that is courageous as Black Rose Immortal or The Apostle In Triumph.
You don't seem to know what "progressive" means. The first few albums were very melodic and may have had more involved guitar work, but they were not more progressive.

I do appreciate Deliverance for being a bit courageous with the first two songs, it's my favourite album by Opeth anyway, but it really does nothing different. Eeeexcept for combining growling with acoustics in By The Pain I See In Others.
I meant the song, "Deliverance." It is by far their most progressive song to date.

Could you please listen to Pushi.t and Third Eye, then revise that statement?
Or Eulogy. Or 46 & 2. :p

JamJar
01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm now starting to like Pain Of Salvation more than either Tool or Opeth. I've pretty much been listening to Remedy Lane non-stop for the last week.

ok lateralus
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Relating to the whole Tool/Opeth discussion, I think Tool didn't really do anything amazing until AEnima, and especially even more on Lateralus. Their first two releases were good but nothing too special. I can't wait till the next one to see how much better it will be. I think Opeth are an overall better band, though.

denboy
01-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I guess it is true...I'm not sure what he was referring to though.

I was just being random :p

But it IS true

i am the robots
01-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Relating to the whole Tool/Opeth discussion, I think Tool didn't really do anything amazing until AEnima, and especially even more on Lateralus. Their first two releases were good but nothing too special. I can't wait till the next one to see how much better it will be. I think Opeth are an overall better band, though.

Everything in this statement is fact :).

Shattered_Future
01-12-2006, 05:50 PM

Wrong. Nightwish > Opeth. :p

Otherwise, that statement is 100% true.

Watched the quiet set of Lamentations today. All I can say is :amaze:.

It's beautiful. Watch it right away if you don't have it. Go get it.

Panvium
01-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Yea i got that dvd for my birthday, i really liked Leper Affinity, Deiliverance and A Fair Judgement. I liked the whole thing but i'd say those were my favorites.

denboy
01-12-2006, 05:59 PM

... No

Ghost Of Perdition
01-12-2006, 06:06 PM

*slaps*

:P

Shadius
01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, just no. lol

Speaking of Opeth and Tool. Does anyone hear the Tool influence on some of Opeth's material? Sometimes in the drumming/riffage, like on Ghost Reveries in Ghost of Perdition for example, with the tom beat and the simple riff. The softer parts of Deliverance remind me a little of Tool for some reason, too.

There's more, but it's only usually a small part of a song that has a Toolish tint to it. Though it's not suprising I guess, Opeth have cited Tool as one of their biggest musical influences, collectively.

Kage
01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I recall reading that they're all huge fans of Lateralus in particular.

Shadius
01-12-2006, 06:21 PM
It makes me wonder if Tool would like Opeth, and if they'd ever tour together. That would be amazing.

Shattered_Future
01-12-2006, 06:40 PM
You people want to go? :mad:

I realized I probably shouldn't have said that in a thread full of Opeth fanboys...

I think I have an 80% chance of getting tickets for Opeth. Gotta keep working on my mom.

Darkness
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
I realized I probably shouldn't have said that in a thread full of Opeth fanboys...
I realized I shouldn't have mentioned that I like Tool more then Opeth yesterday also... It really brought out the fanboys in this thread. :p

Flynn
01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
That's enough. Opeth should never be compared to any other band on this thread. <- Bold Period. You people all have your own taste which should not be displayed on a single band thread. If this proceeds, please take this to a chatroom to argue, discuss, or whatever. The last thing this thread needs is an opinionated war, especially from people that have been posting here forever. Yes, I have made my point clear on how I feel on the subject, and the more I think about it, I shouldn't have. I will never compare, levitate, or glorify Opeth to another band again on this thread. This is the point; Opeth is innovative, Tool is innovative, there's really no need to argue who's better or who is more talented etc etc. That's nonsense. It's like comparing a computer to an automobile. They're both innovative, but in a totally different and abstract range of ways. You can't say ''Gateway is better then Ford, they have had many changes.'' : That's totally out of context. With that note, please disregard anything I have had to say on this subject in previous posts. I love Opeth. I love Tool. Lets please change the subject.

I'm Charming
01-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Opeth > Nightwish

I love both though...

Moses
01-12-2006, 10:22 PM
That's enough. Opeth should never be compared to any other band on this thread. <- Bold Period. You people all have your own taste which should not be displayed on a single band thread. If this proceeds, please take this to a chatroom to argue, discuss, or whatever. The last thing this thread needs is an opinionated war, especially from people that have been posting here forever. Yes, I have made my point clear on how I feel on the subject, and the more I think about it, I shouldn't have. I will never compare, levitate, or glorify Opeth to another band again on this thread. This is the point; Opeth is innovative, Tool is innovative, there's really no need to argue who's better or who is more talented etc etc. That's nonsense. It's like comparing a computer to an automobile. They're both innovative, but in a totally different and abstract range of ways. You can't say ''Gateway is better then Ford, they have had many changes.'' : That's totally out of context. With that note, please disregard anything I have had to say on this subject in previous posts. I love Opeth. I love Tool. Lets please change the subject.
The thing is that this is a forum for discussion exactly like this.

Flynn
01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
The thing is that this is a forum for discussion exactly like this.

Over 4,000 posts, I'm sure you've read this.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224003

Hells Bells
01-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm now starting to like Pain Of Salvation more than either Tool or Opeth. I've pretty much been listening to Remedy Lane non-stop for the last week.

Not that I like them more than either band, but same here. Daniel Gildenlow is an incredible songwriter.

That's enough. Opeth should never be compared to any other band on this thread. <- Bold Period.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with comparing Opeth to other bands in a different context. That's a good point you brought up though, other than the fact that the two bands are nothing alike, something like innovation is very subjective. You can't say which band was more innovative...the discussion was kind of pointless.

Flynn
01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Not that I like them more than either band, but same here. Daniel Gildenlow is an incredible songwriter.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with comparing Opeth to other bands in a different context. That's a good point you brought up though, other than the fact that the two bands are nothing alike, something like innovation is very subjective. You can't say which band was more innovative...the discussion was kind of pointless.

It's all good, there's no way anyone can stop this sort of thing. Music has passion, which is followed by obsession, which, again, is followed by a defensive state. It's good to see other people's opinions every once and a while, there's just a unique range of crossing that line that breaks the discussing into arguement. Anyway, my band can now play In Mist She Was Standing completely. Our lead singer, Mike, is doing a great job. I couldn't ask for more talent. :chug:

Hells Bells
01-12-2006, 10:54 PM
haha yeah....like when arguements get reduced to my bad > your band :p

And good job getting In the Mist She Was Standing :thumb:

rhcp pman
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Um, there isn't an age restriction on Opeth concerts is there? I want to see them in April, and I turn 18 in May. If there is one, I think I'll jump off a cliff.

Alternatively, I could get a fake ID.

Moses
01-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Over 4,000 posts, I'm sure you've read this.

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224003
The rules were being kept. Nobody was flaming either bands or anything and nothing got out of hand.

Tool > Opeth

Unless I'm in the mood.

Deth
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
The rules were being kept. Nobody was flaming either bands or anything and nothing got out of hand.

Tool > Opeth

Unless I'm in the mood.
And that will end that.

Anywho, is anybody getting the GR Deluxe Edition?

Fimbul_Winter
01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I really like Opeth. My favorite ablum of theirs would be a battle between "Orchid" and "Still Life".

i am the robots
01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
I really like Opeth. My favorite ablum of theirs would be a battle between "Orchid" and "Still Life".

I think I'm gonna like you :).

btw, nice Amon avatar.

Fimbul_Winter
01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I think I'm gonna like you :).

btw, nice Amon avatar.
Thanks. Both Amon Amarth and Opeth are fantastic:)

Nice, uh, avatar too. Not sure what it is, :amaze:

i am the robots
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Hahaha, it's Circle Takes the Square, really good prog hardcore/screamo band from Canada.

I'm really happy somebody else mentioned Still Life as their favorite though, in all seriousness I can never get over how great the clean acoustic part of the Moor is.

Deth
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I need more Amon Amarth.

Welcome by the way.

i am the robots
01-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I need more Amon Amarth.

Welcome by the way.
Make sure to get Fate of Norns and The Avenger

Toaster
01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
I like Versus The World myself.

Flynn
01-13-2006, 06:03 PM
I like Versus The World myself.

Me too, it's my favorite album by Amon Amarth.

Det_Nosnip
01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Gotta keep working on my mom.

Careful how you phrase that. :naughty:

I would very much like to see Tool tour with Opeth. Unfortunately, Tool hasn't toured with ANYONE in the past year or so, so that kinda puts a damper on getting them to tour with Opeth. ;) I'm curious to see if they would do it....the only thing that would make me hesitant to think that they would is the fact that Tool is more in the habit of bringing along bands that influenced THEM (King Crimson, Meshuggah, Mike Patton) rather than the other way around.

Darkness
01-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I think Opeth is a big enough band now that they don't need to tour with a giant like Tool. Though that would be the greatest concert of all time.

Stoo
01-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Nah Rage n Opeth...

/Creams self.

Darkness
01-13-2006, 07:45 PM
That's an odd combination...

Stoo
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Does that make it bad?

No.

How the hell is Tool and Opeth some sort of match made in Heaven?

Darkness
01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Well they are both progressive bands. Opeth is Extreme Progressive Metal and RATM is rap/rock.

And no, it's not bad, I use to be a huge RATM fan back in the day (take note of who has the most posts in the RATM thread). I'd love to see them live...

Stoo
01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Both progressive bands? Still a bit vague? Don't see how their connected in anyway other than the fact that they're your 2 fav bands...

ANYWAY!! I hate when people talk about other irrelevant stuff in Official threads...

Darkness
01-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Theres a higher chance of Tool fans liking Opeth then RATM fans. You're only saying RATM and Opeth because their YOUR favorite bands. Now stop this pointless argument, please.

Shadius
01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
That's an odd combination...

They did it back in 92/93, didn't they?

They at least played the same festival, and Maynard did the vocals on Know your Enemy. The bands knew each other, obviously.

Darkness
01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
They did it back in 92/93, didn't they?
Tool and RATM yes, but not RATM and Opeth.

Flynn
01-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Tool and RATM yes, but not RATM and Opeth.

I'd like to see Fragments Of Unbecoming and Opeth. I would pay serious cash for that concert. If Rage Against The Machine ever shared the same stage as Opeth, hell froze over.

Darkness
01-13-2006, 08:09 PM
If Rage ever got back together, hell froze over.

I've never heard of Fragments of Unbecoming... what genre?

Stoo
01-13-2006, 08:14 PM
What's with the Anti-Rage posts...

Flynn
01-13-2006, 08:18 PM
If Rage ever got back together, hell froze over.

I've never heard of Fragments of Unbecoming... what genre?

Melodic Death Metal. I've got a few songs from their latest album Skywards - A Sylphe's Ascension I'll send ya if you want to check them out. Their new album will be released on the 24th of March along with Cannibal Corpses new album Kill.

rhcp pman
01-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Can someone please tell me if there is an age restriction on Opeth concerts?

I'm Charming
01-13-2006, 09:23 PM

There was one here in Portland... I didn't go.... I should have though... I don't remember any age restrictions...

Age restrictions go by venue... Most of the time, Where the booze is in relation to the crowd... and how much booze.

They've always seperated "minors" from the booze at all shows I've been to...

They have the bar where you can't go if your under 21.

Werny
01-13-2006, 09:27 PM

It depends on the venue, buddy. A good idea would be to ring (or get on the website) of the venue that the concert you're going to is going to be held, and ask about age restrictions.

Shattered_Future
01-13-2006, 09:29 PM
The one I'm trying to go to has a bar, but the age restriction is only 12+.

Killtacular
01-13-2006, 11:45 PM
The one I'm trying to go to has a bar, but the age restriction is only 12+.
After all, we don't want anyone under 12 getting sloshed.

Heaven forbid young Billy get hammered and nail little Betsy.

i am the robots
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
After all, we don't want anyone under 12 getting sloshed.

Heaven forbid young Billy get hammered and nail little Betsy.

Please don't say anything remotely similar to God Forbid in a sentence about a concert, I got stuck seeing them open for bands I love twice, and almost a third time, but I was too sick to see Anthrax :(.

Flynn
01-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Best part:

There is no forgiveness in these eyes
For any of you but one
Dispel the mist for now
Melinda is the reason why I've come

I totally agree, I get chills every time on that part. I think I'll put it in, I haven't listened to Still Life in a few days. :)

Cunha
01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
I'll be seeing Opeth in February, can't wait.

Jude
01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll be seeing Opeth in February, can't wait.
I am desperately hoping I can see them in February. It basically depends on one dude.
/crosses fingers

lightningmetal666
01-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Well I got Ghost Reveries the other day, and I thought that it was pretty good. I have to admit that some of it kinda bored me, but Ghosts of Perdition and The Great Conjuring were pretty good.

I take it people here don't exactly like GR. Why is that?

Moses
01-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Because it's not like their other work.

I find it okay if you're in the mood. The intro for Ghost of Perdition is crushing.

Flynn
01-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Because it's not like their other work.

I find it okay if you're in the mood. The intro for Ghost of Perdition is crushing.

Yes I agree. It's not exactly what I expected, but I do like Ghost Of Perdition. It's a great song, other then that, Ghost Reveries is my least favorite Opeth album.

Darkness
01-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Melodic Death Metal. I've got a few songs from their latest album Skywards - A Sylphe's Ascension I'll send ya if you want to check them out. Their new album will be released on the 24th of March along with Cannibal Corpses new album Kill.
Sure. somebodysomeone509@hotmail.com

Thanks

Jude
01-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I think the main reasons people don't like GR are:

Addition of keyboards, they are uneasy about this change. I personally am ambivalent about it--the keyboards work incredibly well at some points (the organs in GOP, BOTH, and the keyboard effects in TGC are all awesome) but the fact that they practically took over all the soft songs on GR I dislike. The soft songs just don't sound like Opeth.

The style is much more proggy and different from previous Opeth works.

And of course a pet peeve of mine, the padding of songs with boring, chugging, one-chord riffs. This happened once in a while on previous albums, but it happens ridiculously often on GR.

That said, GoP is still one of Opeth's best songs, and the rest of the album isn't bad either. It just lacks some of the magic of the previous albums--it's not even the music that's lacking, just the mood.

Stoo
01-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I agree, I really like Ghost Reveries. I'm not going to spend all day arguing with people because they don't think it compares to "old" Opeth.

Good points, Jude.

Flynn
01-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Sure. somebodysomeone509@hotmail.com

Thanks

Sent. Vocals aren't quite there yet, I'm betting they will be decent on Sterling Black Icon, he's definately no Akerfeldt, but still decent. Ingo Maier tears it up on drums, he's ungodly. Enjoy. :chug:

Matas
01-14-2006, 03:06 PM
allright i havent gotten into Opeth yet... which is weird, but what are their absolute BEST songs that i could get into?

Flynn
01-14-2006, 03:58 PM
allright i havent gotten into Opeth yet... which is weird, but what are their absolute BEST songs that i could get into?

There are so many, where do I start.

Black Rose Immortal
The Moor
In Mist She Was Standing
Ghost Of Perdition
The Master's Apprentices
to name a few

vashts80
01-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Deliverance
When
A Fair Judgement
Black Rose Immortal
To Bid You Farewell
Advent
Master's Apprentices
Ghost of Perdition
The Baying of the Hounds
Face of Melinda
The Moor
Blackwater Park
The Drapery Falls
Windowpane
To Rid the Disease

Stormrider
01-14-2006, 04:10 PM
off topic...so my first Opeth album wasnt Orchid afterall. Morningrise it was. Im realy liking it. I got this rerelease one where theres this demo. Its interesting...

Shadius
01-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Well I got Ghost Reveries the other day, and I thought that it was pretty good. I have to admit that some of it kinda bored me, but Ghosts of Perdition and The Great Conjuring were pretty good.

I take it people here don't exactly like GR. Why is that?

The Grand Conjuration*

I love Ghost Reveries, by the way. I think that album has a lot more energy, and changes around a lot more than other Opeth albums. The riffs change more often, and it stays more interesting in a lot of ways. Granted, a lot of the riffs arn't quite as good as past Opeth riffs, but I still think most of them are great stuff, and I especially like the songwriting and the proggy feel.

I like it when bands I like change their sound without losing their integrity, and Opeth have done just that, while still keeping their core sound.

My next favourite is Still Life, so it's not like I only like new Opeth or anything, and arguably that album has their most complex riffs/songwriting on it, generally.

As for Opeth songs to get you into Opeth, I'm not going to give you a huge list, these songs from BP did it for me:

Bleak
The Drapery Falls
Still Day Beneath The Sun (Bonus Track from Blackwater Park)

Flynn
01-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I found this interesting

''Mike Åkerfeldt - former Bloodbath member with possibly the best death metal voice in the world has stepped up to help the band destroy Wacken on this exclusive one time happening. This is something that you're guaranteed to never see again as Mike will not be rejoining the band in any way apart from committing to this performance.

In related news, Peter Tägtgren has left the band due to conflicting schedules. We thank him for sharing his acclaimed talent and efforts on 'Nightmares Made Flesh'. Bloodbath live at Wacken, Blackstage, Friday August 5th:''

Mike Åkerfeldt - Vocals
Blakkheim - Guitar
Dan Swanö - Guitar
Jonas Renkse - Bass
Axe - Drums

You can read more on this link.
http://www.bloodbath.biz/

Darkness
01-14-2006, 04:53 PM
That's kinda old Flynn.. that was in August I think. Thanks for that song you sent me, the drums were the first thing I noticed. :p

TojesDolan
01-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Ghost Reveries...

hmm. Well. I have to say I dislike the soft songs because of the sloppy songwriting, everything else was OK, in my opinion, being "Ghost of perdition" the ultimate highlight, and Beneath the mire my favoritest song out of the pack.

But I don't know. Eh, I like it.

On a related note, I'm still obsessed with Lamentations. I should get more DVDs.

Jude
01-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Ghost Reveries...

hmm. Well. I have to say I dislike the soft songs because of the sloppy songwriting, everything else was OK, in my opinion, being "Ghost of perdition" the ultimate highlight, and Beneath the mire my favoritest song out of the pack.

But I don't know. Eh, I like it.

On a related note, I'm still obsessed with Lamentations. I should get more DVDs.
Yuck, Beneath the Mire is crud. I suppose the end isn't so bad, but the first half of the song makes me want to gag.

The soft songs are too keyboard-ridden for me. The classical and folk styles of acoustic guitar playing that made Opeth sound so eerie and medieval are practically gone, and that's what hurts. Damnation kept those elements while also including keyboards, so it worked better.

And The Grand Conjuration deserves way more credit than people give it. It is an awesome song.

Flynn
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
That's kinda old Flynn.. that was in August I think. Thanks for that song you sent me, the drums were the first thing I noticed. :p

Yeah it's old, I didn't see anyone post it on the thread, just wanted be sure.
Did you get all the songs? Scattered To The Four Winds is my favorite song from that album. I can't wait for SBI. :chug:

TojesDolan
01-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Yuck, Beneath the Mire is crud. I suppose the end isn't so bad, but the first half of the song makes me want to gag.

The soft songs are too keyboard-ridden for me. The classical and folk styles of acoustic guitar playing that made Opeth sound so eerie and medieval are practically gone, and that's what hurts. Damnation kept those elements while also including keyboards, so it worked better.

And The Grand Conjuration deserves way more credit than people give it. It is an awesome song.
Indeed. Well, I don't know, probably I have a thing for it because it was the first song I heard out of GR, so I play it quite often.

Now that I think about it, the song I dislike the most has got to be "hours of wealth". It just goes around with excessive instrumental, and excessive lonely vocal parts, which make me sad and angry and sad again.

Atonement has a nice vibe, though. And Harlequin Forest is fine too... but I don't know. I don't really love it.

PeEpHoLe_10
01-14-2006, 05:42 PM

Im not taking a stab at your opinions or anything like that, but there are two things i want to make comments about.

This first one isn't actually directly at you. Its starting to annoy me how people can't get past the fact that those accoustic medievil elements are now gone from Opeths music. They have taken a new direction, and that in itself should be applauded. They could have stuck to that same style,knowing that it would make the fans happy, but they decided to make a change and i wish people would just deal with it.

And secondly, you (im sure it was you saying it, but i may be wrong) made a comment before about being dissapointed by the fact that there are many chugga-chugga, one chord riffs throughout GR, but you now comment on how The Grand Conjuration deserves more credit than it gets. Dont get me wrong, i love that song, but besides the asweomse intro, the first few minutes of that song is full of those easy, un-complicated riffs you are talking about. Granted, there is a cool solo, and some nice riffs throughout the middle, but for the last few minutes it again returns to those un-complicated riffs.
Like i said before, im not taking a stab, but i just wanted to point that out.

lightningmetal666
01-14-2006, 05:50 PM

That was my fav. on the whole album. I can't really judge too quick because I haven't really sat and listened through the whole album yet, but I've heard bits and pieces and from that, I found the intro to that song to be amazing.

Ghosts of perdition has some incredible vocals on it.

The Cynic
01-14-2006, 06:03 PM
TGC is an awesome song. There are just better songs on that album such as GOP and BOTH.

Sleepy
01-14-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree with Ghost Reveries isn't Opeth's best, although they do have some HUGE highlights on it with Ghost of Perdition, Baying of the Hounds and The Grand Conjuration. I think it is sort of a transition album for Opeth, especially with the keyboards taking a more prominent role. At this point, they are either going to turn back to their shell and go back to their old sound, or try and refine their new one.

I hope they don't go back and try to attempt to release another Blackwater Park as their next album. I believe the new feel Opeth has gained has great potential, they just need a little work and revision on it. The next release from the Swedes should prove to be monstrous either way.

Shadius
01-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Either way, you'd get people complaining that they're either rehashing old sounds, or that they wished they had those old elements in their music still. Bands can't win, and I applaud Opeth for covering new ground and still sounding good rather than stagnating. You don't have to like the change, but do you really want to buy the same album over and over?

vashts80
01-14-2006, 06:40 PM
TGC on the album is horrible. TGC live is amazing, however, just because of the atmosphere it creates.

Flynn
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Either way, you'd get people complaining that they're either rehashing old sounds, or that they wished they had those old elements in their music still. Bands can't win, and I applaud Opeth for covering new ground and still sounding good rather than stagnating. You don't have to like the change, but do you really want to buy the same album over and over?

If they did something like Morningrise or Orchid again, you're goddamn right I would buy it.

Sleepy
01-14-2006, 07:05 PM
If they did something like Morningrise or Orchid again, you're goddamn right I would buy it.

Yes, you'd buy it, but in all likelihood it wouldn't be as good as Morningrise or Orchid, because you've already heard them before. It would feel like a few bonus tracks rather than a full album. Lauds to Opeth for fucking the expectations and trying something new. They pulled it off well, anyway.

Shadius
01-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Maybe you would for another album, to see what they can do now, but another album after that? Psh, unlikely, it would be stagnated and repetitive.

Anyways, they'd never go back down that road, you might like melodic death metal more than their more progressive sound, but they don't. So many bands play in that style anyways, i'd rather have Opeth playing in their more original style.

PeEpHoLe_10
01-14-2006, 08:35 PM

I totally agree with everything you say. There's no point in making the same album over or going back to the same style they had years ago to make the fans happy. Ultimatley, Opeth are going to write music that THEY like and find interesting, not music the fans want.

Flynn
01-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Maybe you would for another album, to see what they can do now, but another album after that? Psh, unlikely, it would be stagnated and repetitive.

Anyways, they'd never go back down that road, you might like melodic death metal more than their more progressive sound, but they don't. So many bands play in that style anyways, i'd rather have Opeth playing in their more original style.

Okay, cool. That's your preference, and I respect it. On the other hand, I'd rather have Opeth record an Orchid, Morningrise based album. I love the style, guitars, drums, bass - everything. It's well worth a few more albums in that genre. But that will never happen, so I'll drop it.

Jude
01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Im not taking a stab at your opinions or anything like that, but there are two things i want to make comments about.

This first one isn't actually directly at you. Its starting to annoy me how people can't get past the fact that those accoustic medievil elements are now gone from Opeths music. They have taken a new direction, and that in itself should be applauded. They could have stuck to that same style,knowing that it would make the fans happy, but they decided to make a change and i wish people would just deal with it.
I dig that. It usually does piss me off when fans whine about their bands changing styles and whatnot. I'm trying not to be one of them, but I DO miss the old acoustic style.

And secondly, you (im sure it was you saying it, but i may be wrong) made a comment before about being dissapointed by the fact that there are many chugga-chugga, one chord riffs throughout GR, but you now comment on how The Grand Conjuration deserves more credit than it gets. Dont get me wrong, i love that song, but besides the asweomse intro, the first few minutes of that song is full of those easy, un-complicated riffs you are talking about. Granted, there is a cool solo, and some nice riffs throughout the middle, but for the last few minutes it again returns to those un-complicated riffs.
Like i said before, im not taking a stab, but i just wanted to point that out.
Nah, TGC isn't anything like the type of riff I was talking about. It doesn't even have any of that kind of riff in it. The weak points of TGC are the repetition (the main riff is cool, but it's repeated WAY too much) and the crap riff in the middle where he's going "whispered conjuration a belief takes form"...that's got to be the worst Opeth riff ever.

The type of riff I was talking about is present quite a bit in Harlequin Forest for example. I think it's the most prevalent in that song, but it shows up in all of the "regular" songs on GR.

Flynn: I do love Morningrise and Orchid (well not Orchid as much but Morningrise is definitely one of my favorites) and I really dig the dual harmonies, the aggressive technical bass playing and the acoustic styles on there, but at the same time I am glad Opeth have progressed. Unless they were to bring something very new to their old style, I don't think going back in time would be such a great idea.

Det_Nosnip
01-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I agree with Ghost Reveries isn't Opeth's best, although they do have some HUGE highlights on it with Ghost of Perdition, Baying of the Hounds and The Grand Conjuration. I think it is sort of a transition album for Opeth, especially with the keyboards taking a more prominent role. At this point, they are either going to turn back to their shell and go back to their old sound, or try and refine their new one.

I hope they don't go back and try to attempt to release another Blackwater Park as their next album. I believe the new feel Opeth has gained has great potential, they just need a little work and revision on it. The next release from the Swedes should prove to be monstrous either way.

I agree. GOP and BOTH just sound so freakin' epic and progressive to me, while still being very heavy. The added drum presence with Lopez didn't hurt, either...this and Dam nation are IMO his best work yet. If I were to have any say on what Opeth does for the next record, I'd say to make it a little bit heavier. As a whole though, I like where their heads are...especially with some of the more experimental songs like Atonement

PeEpHoLe_10
01-14-2006, 11:04 PM
I dig that. It usually does piss me off when fans whine about their bands changing styles and whatnot. I'm trying not to be one of them, but I DO miss the old acoustic style.

Nah, TGC isn't anything like the type of riff I was talking about. It doesn't even have any of that kind of riff in it. The weak points of TGC are the repetition (the main riff is cool, but it's repeated WAY too much) and the crap riff in the middle where he's going "whispered conjuration a belief takes form"...that's got to be the worst Opeth riff ever.

The type of riff I was talking about is present quite a bit in Harlequin Forest for example. I think it's the most prevalent in that song, but it shows up in all of the "regular" songs on GR.

Oh okay then, i misunderstood what you meant. Yeah that main riff definatley is repeated too much. Thats the kinda thing i thought you were talking about. Oh well, me is very tired today. :p

Stormrider
01-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Any of you guys hear the bonus track off of Morningrise ? Eternal Soul Torture.

PeEpHoLe_10
01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Yep,and i don't like it too much.

Toaster
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
TGC on the album is horrible. TGC live is amazing, however, just because of the atmosphere it creates.

I think the opposite is true, live the song loses a lot of atmosphere, and gets boring after the main riff repeats for the hundredth time.

That song is really great, actually. I think it's one of Opeth's heaviest songs ever.

Stormrider
01-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Meh, the quality is horrible. I read that the band broke the song apart and used peices of it in other songs. Example: that riff from "In Mist She Was Standing. the acoustic one.

Im realy liking The Night And The Silent Water.

I also read that, Black Rose Immortal was supposed to be in Orchid.

PeEpHoLe_10
01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Meh, the quality is horrible. I read that the band broke the song apart and used peices of it in other songs. Example: that riff from "In Mist She Was Standing. the acoustic one.

Im realy liking The Night And The Silent Water.

I also read that, Black Rose Immortal was supposed to be in Orchid.

Yeah, im pretty sure some of the riffs in that song are used in Advent.

Stormrider
01-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah, im pretty sure some of the riffs in that song are used in Advent.

Yeah, Akerfeldt mentioned that.

Killtacular
01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah, and I deleted it because it sickened me.

White
01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Srry if this is doing somthing wrong lol, but yah, as some of you knwo, my Ipod was just completly deleted and im trying to replace all of my music and I had just about all of Opeths stuff on there, so if anyone could please send me any albums over MSN id really appreciate it, my Email is id_rather-not@hotmail.com so just add me to msn/email me. and MODs if there is anything wrong with tihs post then go ahead and delete it id understand completly. but ya, im not just trying to get free music here I just want my music back lol. so srry if this was a stupid post

Killtacular
01-14-2006, 11:36 PM
You know, there are better ways to get music than from people on MSN.

Werny
01-15-2006, 02:08 AM
People say GR is straying away from the 'medieval' acoustics... I personally think it's a return to them. Ghost of Perdition, The Baying of the Hounds (the instrumental acoustic bit... drool), The Grand Conjuration (how does that acoustic guitar not sound folky, evil and medieval to anyone?) and Hours of Wealth have extremely medieval/folk acoustics, for me at least.

Damnation... sounds so clean, ugly and british. Not medieval at all. It's pretty good still, but if you want to complain about 'non-medieval acoustics', listen to that.

I'm Charming
01-15-2006, 02:17 AM
People say GR is straying away from the 'medieval' acoustics... I personally think it's a return to them. Ghost of Perdition, The Baying of the Hounds (the instrumental acoustic bit... drool), The Grand Conjuration (how does that acoustic guitar not sound folky, evil and medieval to anyone?) and Hours of Wealth have extremely medieval/folk acoustics, for me at least.

Damnation... sounds so clean, ugly and british. Not medieval at all. It's pretty good still, but if you want to complain about 'non-medieval acoustics', listen to that.

Damnation > GR

GR is just not that good.. End\

Damnation is great all the way though.... Though I think Blackwater Park is the best from Opeth...

Det_Nosnip
01-15-2006, 03:08 AM
the crap riff in the middle where he's going "whispered conjuration a belief takes form"...that's got to be the worst Opeth riff ever. No way! That riff rules!!! Not to mention, Mikael's growls are absolutely :evil: there. I disagree completely.

Jude
01-15-2006, 06:45 AM
No way! That riff rules!!! Not to mention, Mikael's growls are absolutely :evil: there. I disagree completely.
That riff makes me sick. It's completely cheesy, contrived and uninteresting :confused: The main riff is really cool, but they just repeated it way too much. That song could have been about 6 minutes long and been a lot better.

The other coolest part is when the guitars drop out and there's a few soft keyboard notes and then all of a sudden this super-fast part pops out of nowhere and Mikael's going nuts with a growl over it.

Toaster
01-15-2006, 09:54 AM

I totally agree with your entire post. GR is far better than Damnation, and far more "medieval", as you say. Even The Grand Conjuration has that bit of acoustic during the verse.

I love that riff in TGC too. It's simple, but it sounds really evil to me, especially with the growling and double bass triplets.

Flynn
01-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Why should it sound medieval? I think it's fine the way it is.

denboy
01-15-2006, 03:02 PM

He wasn't saying they should sound medieval

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I find it hard to compare one Opeth album to another...they have a tendency to sound pretty different from the last. GR was a step in a new direction for Opeth, though; which is nice because it's better to not to so well in an area you're new to rather than release the same album over and over.

Personal favorites, especially with the diversity of Opeth, will change a lot. I must say my favorite songs by them are Windowpane, By the Pain I See In Others, and The Grand Conjuration. Each one is superb, and different from the last.

Jude
01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I also don't get why people go on about Opeth acoustic parts being "medieval." I mean, I do kind of get a medieval-y vibe from Opeth music, but it's not like there's anything "medieval" about the guitar style, whatsoever.

i am the robots
01-15-2006, 04:18 PM
I also don't get why people go on about Opeth acoustic parts being "medieval." I mean, I do kind of get a medieval-y vibe from Opeth music, but it's not like there's anything "medieval" about the guitar style, whatsoever.

Because flamenco gives off a medieval styled folky vibe because its the most classic style of guitar playing (I think...), and for the most part, most kiddies now days think for the most part that it's a dead style and so they only hear it in things related to the dark/middle/rennaissance ages.

Darkness
01-15-2006, 05:52 PM
More Opeth dates announced.

They come here March 8th :D

Deth
01-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Doesn't look like they'll make another South Florida stop.

Damn.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Ah damn there going to Quebec city, and no montreal dates are anounced yet...Thats a 2 hour drive...

Deth
01-15-2006, 08:16 PM
More to be announced, so you may be in luck. It seems like they're going to cover Kana-duh pretty well.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 08:19 PM
I hope im in luck...but i doubt they wont come in Montreal. When a band comes to Canada, they pretty much always stop by here.

Why did you change your Username ?

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Because flamenco gives off a medieval styled folky vibe because its the most classic style of guitar playing (I think...), and for the most part, most kiddies now days think for the most part that it's a dead style and so they only hear it in things related to the dark/middle/rennaissance ages.

Except in Power Metal, Folk Metal, and even some Black Metal. I love classical guitar, it's beautiful.

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 08:20 PM
I wonder if they've ever come to Tennessee? That would be sweet.

Deth
01-15-2006, 08:22 PM
I hope im in luck...but i doubt they wont come in Montreal. When a band comes to Canada, they pretty much always stop by here.

Why did you change your Username ?
A better question is why not. It's snappier and easier to quote.

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:22 PM
I wonder if they've ever come to Tennessee? That would be sweet.

I hope they come to Las Vegas!!!

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 08:24 PM
A better question is why not. It's snappier and easier to quote.

Yeah i suppose. I thought of taking out the 331 in my username...and decided there was no point in doing that. I have no ides why i put them there though.

Det_Nosnip
01-15-2006, 08:34 PM

Flamenco? What are you talking about? There's no Flamenco in Opeth, I think you're thinking of something completely different...

Darkness
01-15-2006, 08:34 PM
More to be announced, so you may be in luck. It seems like they're going to cover Kana-duh pretty well.
As they should, were the better North American country.

Deth
01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
*Indifferent*

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Canadians are ghey!

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:38 PM
To all the Canadians out there...

Aboot.

Discuss.

Toaster
01-15-2006, 08:39 PM

Quoted for undeniable truth.

Sadly, I think the show near me might be at a nightclub.. I might not be able to get in. What's the age restriction regarding nightclubs?

To all the Canadians out there...

Aboot.

Discuss.

Pfft, go watch some Nascar.

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 08:40 PM
What's the age restriction regarding nightclubs?

Most likely 21, I'd invest in a fake ID if I were you.

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:40 PM

Sadly, I think the show near me might be at a nightclub.. I might not be able to get in. What's the age restriction regarding nightclubs?

In America - 18

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Last time they came, it was in a club. They stamped peoples hands if you were over 18(eiter that or 21). So at the bar in order to get a drink , you had to show your stamp.

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Last time they came, it was in a club. They stamped peoples hands if you were over 18. So at the bar in order to get a drink , you had to show your stamp.

That's actually a very clever idea, I hadn't heard of that before.

Dye your hair gray, put on some makeup for some fake wrinkles, and they might not ask for your stamp. However, I'd be too busy jerking off to Mikael to get drunk.

Toaster
01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm just hoping for the hand-stamping thing. I'd do the old man disguise, but you don't see many middle aged men who are 5'5. :p

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm just hoping for the hand-stamping thing. I'd do the old man disguise, but you don't see many middle aged men who are 5'5. :p

I doubt theres any middle aged men at an Opeth gig Period :p
Meh, i could be very wrong.

I dunno why it would be over 18 now and not last time if they come back here. So im nto to worrying with that.

Toaster
01-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, there's at least five middle aged men at every Opeth concert.

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Pfft, go watch some Nascar.

Rednecks do not count as Americans :p

Go hunt grizzlies, bitch! Yeah, how do you like me now!

/Wants to go hunt grizzlies...:(

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Rednecks do not count as Americans :p

Pfft....Yankee

NP: Black Rose Immortal

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Pfft....Yankee

Cowboy, actually. Born and raised in Las Vegas, NV. I get exemption from North/South stereotypes.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, there's at least five middle aged men at every Opeth concert

/feels like a noob

I didnt even know the band had 5 members. I thought they still had 4.

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Cowboy, actually. Born and raised in Las Vegas, NV. I get exemption from North/South stereotypes.

I was just joking around, I think the whole North/South prejudice thing is stupid. I probably would be considered a redneck by most of you though, I'm an avid Nascar fan and go coon hunting in my free time.

Musical_Nerd
01-15-2006, 08:58 PM
/feels like a noob

Yea this guy Per Wiberg joined this year but I only know his name. Plays guitar I imagine?

Toaster
01-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Go... gamble?

/feels like a noob

I think Per's a true part of the band now. Doesn't that make five?

I was kidding anyway, no offence meant. :)

Per plays keyboard.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 09:01 PM
I think Per's a true part of the band now. Doesn't that make five?

I was kidding anyway, no offence meant. :)

Ah dont worry i wasnt offended. What does he do though ?

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I was just joking around, I think the whole North/South prejudice thing is stupid. I probably would be considered a redneck by most of you though, I'm an avid Nascar fan and go coon hunting in my free time.

You have an internet connection, therefore you get exemption from being a redneck. I don't need Foxworthy's redneck dictionary to understand your posts, and you listen to Opeth.

If your computer was in your truck, I needed to bust out the redneck dictionary, and you listened to Garth Brooks, classifying him under Rock & Metal, yes, the bashing would begin.

Believe me, I harbor no hard feelings towards people from the South. I've been coon hunting with my relatives before. Yanks, however, are a bit jumpy and hyper for my tastes in people.

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Ah dont worry i wasnt offended. What does he do though ?

Keyboards, sorry for double post.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Keyboards, sorry for double post.

Ah okay.

/random thought...So im realy enjoying me Morningrise.

Hells Bells
01-15-2006, 09:08 PM

That depends on where the show is. If it's in Alberta, Manitoba or Québec, it'll be 18, and everywhere else in Canada it's 19.

Yea this guy Per Wiberg joined this year but I only know his name. Plays guitar I imagine?

Nope, he plays the keys...I'm guessing they think two guitarists are enough :p

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Believe me, I harbor no hard feelings towards people from the South. I've been coon hunting with my relatives before. Yanks, however, are a bit jumpy and hyper for my tastes in people.

It's good to know. And I know what you mean, I have relatives in Michigan. ;)

/random thought...So im realy enjoying me Morningrise.

I've been listening to it a lot lately, it's probably my favorite by Opeth.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Morningrise is sadly my only Opeth album. I want to learn TheNight And The Silent Water. Printed out the tabs but havnt started learning it yet.

Then if i want, il attempt learning Balck Rose Immortal. I like learning realy long songs.

Sleepy
01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
My favorite is Orchid[/i[, followed closely by [i]Damnation, which I will be using to go to sleep right now. See you in the morning, all.

MidnightRider
01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Then if i want, il attempt learning Balck Rose Immortal. I like learning realy long songs.

Good luck with that, that would be quite an accomplishment.

Deth
01-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Morningrise is sadly my only Opeth album. I want to learn TheNight And The Silent Water. Printed out the tabs but havnt started learning it yet.

I can't remember who it was, but a regular in the thread tabbed out BRI in it's entirety with standard notation as well as tabs. It was pretty awesome.

Stormrider
01-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Good luck with that, that would be quite an accomplishment.

Thanks man. I couldnt find any powertab of it though...which sucks.
I hope i could pull it off too.

Deth
01-15-2006, 09:43 PM
It was Cain.

The link: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422035&highlight=black+rose+immortal

Werny
01-15-2006, 10:40 PM

I didn't say it should. But I am annoyed that Mikael said there was going to be one album focusing on Opeth's heavy side, and another focusing on their lighter side. Instead they make one focusing on their heavy sound and lighter sound and another focused on another sound completely. So they made one album of Opeth's sound (focusing neither on heavy or light) and another album focusing on Porcupine Tree's sound.

It's a decent album, but Opeth clearly aren't meant to play that british, almost "brit-rock" or whatever-you-call-it style. DAMN YOU STEVEN WILSON.

...that being said, To Rid The Disease and Closure are classic songs.

Darkness
01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Deliverance was pretty heavy though.

BlindWriting
01-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I didn't say it should. But I am annoyed that Mikael said there was going to be one album focusing on Opeth's heavy side, and another focusing on their lighter side. Instead they make one focusing on their heavy sound and lighter sound and another focused on another sound completely. So they made one album of Opeth's sound (focusing neither on heavy or light) and another album focusing on Porcupine Tree's sound.

It's a decent album, but Opeth clearly aren't meant to play that british, almost "brit-rock" or whatever-you-call-it style. DAMN YOU STEVEN WILSON.

...that being said, To Rid The Disease and Closure are classic songs.
I see your point, and even though I disagree, I've gotta hand it to you for going against the grain with your opinon.

Still, Wreath and Deliverance are easily two of their heaviest songs ever.

matt4
01-16-2006, 02:57 AM
There is one song on Damnation that is 100% old school opeth, I think: Closure. Very "medieval" if you will. Lot's of chromaticism and tritone sorta stuff. Incredible to play. And those tabla drums...*drool*:amaze:

Jude
01-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, Damnation wasn't as acoustic and classical as I would have liked it, but it's still a great album. And Deliverance is definitely the heaviest Opeth album.

Sleepy
01-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I don't understand why there is so much GR bashing...is it just because Opeth tried something new? I personally enjoy that album very much, especially Ghost of Perdition and The Grand Conjuration. I love it when bands try new sounds, even if it's not to the best of their ability. They just need some polishing up with that new sound of theirs.

UpperDecker
01-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't understand why there is so much GR bashing...is it just because Opeth tried something new? I personally enjoy that album very much, especially Ghost of Perdition and The Grand Conjuration. I love it when bands try new sounds, even if it's not to the best of their ability. They just need some polishing up with that new sound of theirs.

I think you just answered your own question. It wasn't as good as it could have been.

NymphetamineX
01-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I only have Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries, but I think they're both amazing. I love how the songs go from so heavy to an acoustic part in a matter of seconds.

Kage
01-16-2006, 11:15 AM
So they made one album of Opeth's sound (focusing neither on heavy or light) and another album focusing on Porcupine Tree's sound.
I understand your point completely, but, be it Opeth's sound or not, I love Damnation.

Deth
01-16-2006, 11:22 AM
DAMN YOU STEVEN WILSON.

*Frantically searches for neg rep button*

*fails*

10,000 POST BITCHES!

denboy
01-16-2006, 11:26 AM
and another album focusing on Porcupine Tree's sound.

No way... Damnation doesn't sound anything like Porcupine Tree
(.. In fact Damnation doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before)

TheSubtleArts
01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
the song Blackwater Park was the first Opeth song i ever heard and is still my favorite. I love the whole Damnation album too, i think its awesome that they tryed something like that and did it amazingly. I havent really gotten into Ghost Reveries yet..

Det_Nosnip
01-16-2006, 01:31 PM
There is one song on Damnation that is 100% old school opeth, I think: Closure. Very "medieval" if you will. Lot's of chromaticism and tritone sorta stuff. Incredible to play. And those tabla drums...*drool*:amaze:

It doesn't really sound medieval to me. Exotic, dark...yes...but medieval? They're using chords and phrases that probably would have been considered sinful and punishable by death in the Middle Ages. :lol:

Oh, and those aren't tablas. Martin played that section on this drum he called a "Tambourine" (not the instrument normally associated with the word) that comes from his native Uruguay. You can see him playing it on the Lamentations DVD...I remember it looked kinda like a Djembe.

i am the robots
01-16-2006, 01:39 PM

Damnation sounds nothing at all like Porcupine Tree, it's far too different, but you're right, that wasn't Opeth's soft sound... when I got it I was expecting stuff like Benighted, Credence, and To Bid You Farewell, instead I got a different treat.

Forlorn Hope
01-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Can someone recommend Opeth songs that are dark and evil sounding, and some that are heavy with clean vocals. Thanks in advance.

i am the robots
01-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Can someone recommend Opeth songs that are dark and evil sounding, and some that are heavy with clean vocals. Thanks in advance.

Dark and evil sounding.... The Moor, Advent, Demon of the Fall, Karma
Heavy with clean vocals.... Harlequin Forest, The Drapery Falls, Bleak