PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Mother
11-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Crappy Internet explorer.

Shattered_Future
11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
I actually listened to Blackwater Park (the song) for the first time about a week ago.

I dunno if it's the vocals, or the vocal effect, but Mikael was at his best on that song. Absolutely stunning.

Listening to it again now. :D

Spinal Pap
11-29-2005, 02:32 PM
It took me a while to get into Blackwater Park, probably because when I first got the cd, I would listen to Bleak and The Drapery Falls over and over. It's a wonderful song though. BWP has Opeth's best clean vocals IMO.

Stoo
11-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Mikael was really good with the audience. Someone yelled something in a thick scottish accent and he just said "Thanks, i guess". Was pretty funny at the time.

When they were introducing 'Under The Weeping Moon' he was saying this a song from an earlier album we dont usually play. I was really hoping it would be The Night And Silent Water. I dont think i'll ever see that live since they apparently hate the song. Its my favourite by them

Yea, the guy shouted "Mikael you're a fckkin genius!".

[Shadowfox]
11-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Well, I'm an Opeth fan. I've been steadily listening to them over the past few months, and I finally got out and bought Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries. Both CD's are phenomenal, but I've absorbed BP more than it's had a few listens. They've really influenced how I approach songwriting now.

pyroseraphin
11-29-2005, 10:10 PM
That's exactly what I was wondering. That looks like it came out of some auto-online translator.

As for Opeth posters, I've never seen them. If I had, I'd have bought one already.

Excellent work! I use the translator. And it copies, pastes, that and the fact that it translates in the English Japanese which is translated it should be tried. The result is cheerful!

cos you know that i can
11-30-2005, 05:22 AM
Ghost Of Perditon
When
Requiem
White Cluster
Bleak!!
The Grand Conjuration
Under The Weeping Moon
Deliverance
Demon Of The Fall

Sure hope they play those tonight...I heard they hardly ever play anything from Orchid, and Under the Weeping Moon is one their best tracks IMO

Deth
11-30-2005, 05:46 AM
Excellent work! I use the translator. And it copies, pastes, that and the fact that it translates in the English Japanese which is translated it should be tried. The result is cheerful!
I love this guy.

Toaster
11-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Haha, I vote him thread mascot.

Lord Abortion
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Right, you Opeth Fans, I've been listening to Nothing but Opeth for the past couple of days, and would like two or three album reccommendations, I Am pretty definitely going to get Damnation, as that has the songs I like best (In my time of need and Hope leaves) from my Random MP3s
any help would be appreciated, mateys, as I expand my musical taste ever- further :)

ok lateralus
11-30-2005, 04:27 PM
deliverance is underrated.

ghost of perdition is one of opeth's greatest top 5 songs ever.

morningrise rules all.

theres some daily wisdom for you all...

Stoo
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Why have Opeth not played any Morningrise songs this tour? Have they ever?? It just seems odd to me, I mean, from what I hear on here, it is generally considered their best album...

:)

ok lateralus
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Right, you Opeth Fans, I've been listening to Nothing but Opeth for the past couple of days, and would like two or three album reccommendations, I Am pretty definitely going to get Damnation, as that has the songs I like best (In my time of need and Hope leaves) from my Random MP3s
any help would be appreciated, mateys, as I expand my musical taste ever- further :)

Morningrise is IMO the best but it takes a while to get into
My Arms Your Hearse and Deliverance are amazing if you're in the mood for heavy stuff
Still Life is a good starting point.

Stoo
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
I'd say Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries is better to start off with...

ok lateralus
11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Why have Opeth not played any Morningrise songs this tour? Have they ever?? It just seems odd to me, I mean, from what I hear on here, it is generally considered their best album...

The only songs they play from Morningrise on occasion anymore are Advent and Blackrose Immortal, but very very rarely. I think someone said they played BRI on this tour though actually. From what i understand Mikael isnt too fond of the album, especially Night and the Silent Water

Stoo
11-30-2005, 04:34 PM
To be perfectly honest, I really don't care if they don't play those, it's an awesome album, but they've got so many more unbelievable songs.

vashts80
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Did Mikael hit the clean vocals in Bleak right? I have a BWP tour boot where it seems like he's struggling to hit the clean vocals that Wilson did

Det_Nosnip
11-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Wilson has a much higher natural voice range than Mikael, so it's understandable. I dunno if he's a low tenor or a high baritone, but his voice is alot higher than Mikael's, that's for sure. Off hand, I can't remember whether Mikael sang those parts down a few octaves or not, but either way it's got to be awkward singing something originally performed by somebody else, especially while trying to do his own lines as well.

Deth
11-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Did Mikael hit the clean vocals in Bleak right? I have a BWP tour boot where it seems like he's struggling to hit the clean vocals that Wilson did
It sounded good live, vocals and all.

armthehomeless
12-01-2005, 03:08 AM
they don't play morningrise because they dont like the album anymore, especially the night and silent water (a damn shame in my book). I believe the reason was that everybody in Sweden was making albums that sounded the same, and Mikael and Peter just got sick and tired of it. Morninrise must remind of this so they avoid it

Werny
12-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Deliverance is where you start off if you like crazy death metal, Still Life is where you start if you like the softer stuff. That's my theory.

Deliverance should be owned by everyone, though. Wreath rivals My Dying Bride in terms of emotion.

The only bad track is By The Pain I See In Others... it suffers badly from play-the-best-riff-of-the-song-for-only-30-seconds syndrome, for me at least.

armthehomeless
12-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Still Life is where you start if you like the softer stuff. That's my theory.

Surely Damnation would be the logical place to start if you like the soft stuff.

Lord Abortion
12-01-2005, 04:32 AM
Surely Damnation would be the logical place to start if you like the soft stuff.
That's why I'm getting that.

Jude
12-01-2005, 08:31 AM
I'd say Blackwater Park or Ghost Reveries is better to start off with...
Maybe but only because of the production. Production value and all of SW's tricks aside, Still Life and Blackwater Park aren't really all that different in terms of style, songwriting, etc.

And yeah, if you like the soft stuff Damnation is the place to start. That's how I got into Opeth.

Shred Danson
12-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Why is no one reccommending My Arms Your Hearse or Orchid???

Stoo
12-01-2005, 11:34 AM
We're recommending stuff that's easy for Opeth n00bs to get into... Their earlier stuff isn't very easy.

Anyone see this on the Opeth site...

As reported on Blabbermouth our busdriver on the last North American tour was arrested in Tampa/S.t Petersburg, FL for "unlawful activity with a minor".

:lol:

Flynn
12-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Why is no one reccommending My Arms Your Hearse or Orchid???

The posters with good taste must have been offline. :p
I recommend Orchid to someone who likes the rawness of Opeth's earlier style. Catchy twin leads, build ups to double kick and epic acoustics are only a few of the important features of this album, and why it remains so great in my heart today. The way it was put together is magical, not to mention that particular style still flows through my bloodstream. My Arms, Your Hearse is a bit more advanced when compared. To an old listener, one can definately see the ''morph'' from Orchid - Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse. This album is truly where Mikael found his path on to Opeth's future for latter albums, and complex structures with beautiful song writing...considering he wrote basically 90% of the album and recorded about the same. The only thing he didn't do, basically, was play the drums.

''Granted you, a hollow stare
another soul within the divine herd.''

Deth
12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I wonder how many fans Opeth lost (or gained) after the release of MAYH.

Lord Abortion: I say go Still Life, as you certainly aren't a n00b in the progressive genre.

ok lateralus
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
The posters with good taste must have been offline. :p
I recommend Orchid to someone who likes the rawness of Opeth's earlier style. Catchy twin leads, build ups to double kick and epic acoustics are only a few of the important features of this album, and why it remains so great in my heart today. The way it was put together is magical, not to mention that particular style still flows through my bloodstream. My Arms, Your Hearse is a bit more advanced when compared. To an old listener, one can definately see the ''morph'' from Orchid - Morningrise to My Arms, Your Hearse. This album is truly where Mikael found his path on to Opeth's future for latter albums, and complex structures with beautiful song writing...considering he wrote basically 90% of the album and recorded about the same. The only thing he didn't do, basically, was play the drums.[/I]

I agree that they're amazing albums, but probably not the best starting point. MAYH is too brutal for most casual listeners and it takes awhile to get into. Orchid is outstanding, but it takes a fair amount of listens to absorb it. Great albums, I'd just say that a more "balanced" album like Still Life would be a better starting point.

Deth
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I agree that they're amazing albums, but probably not the best starting point. MAYH is too brutal for most casual listeners and it takes awhile to get into. Orchid is outstanding, but it takes a fair amount of listens to absorb it. Great albums, I'd just say that a more "balanced" album like Still Life would be a better starting point.
I doubt this statement. Most people who look for Opeth know what they're getting into.

bucket
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I bought an Opeth CD because of their soft songs and for the awesome riffs in BWP. I didn't like the majority of BWP, but it grew on me. If I had gotten one of their first three first, I'm not sure how much of a shot I would have given them.

They all took way more listens to enjoy than BWP did... and that was when I knew what Opeth was all about.

I would recommend Blackwater Park over any other albums for noobs.

ok lateralus
12-02-2005, 04:39 PM
I doubt this statement. Most people who look for Opeth know what they're getting into.
But for those who aren't into that heavy stuff, it's not a good starting point

vashts80
12-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I got into Opeth by Damnation. True story. I listened to it for two months or so before listening to BWP and Deliverance.

Deth
12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't find it much heavier than the other albums. I would consider Deliverance and BWP to be heavier.

But hey, IMO.

Flynn
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Exactly. Me, personally, I would go in chronological order. It's a great way to experience Opeth's growth. :thumb:

RouteOne
12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I have decided. Forest of October is my favorite Opeth song.

Flynn
12-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Sweet dude, nice taste. That song is on my top 5 favorite Opeth songlist.

1. Black Rose Immortal
2. In Mist She Was Standing
3. The Master's Apprentices
4. Karma
5. The Forest Of October

Morningrise
12-03-2005, 02:49 AM

1. Black Rose Immortal
4. Karma
5. The Forest Of October
Mine are...

1.) The Twilight is My Robe
2.) To Bid You Farewell
3.) Advent
4.) Black Rose Immortal
5.) April Ethereal

I'm a big fan of their older stuff. To be honest everything after Blackwater Park doesn't capture and enthrall me the way "In Mist She Was Standing" did when I first got into the band. Orchid was my first introduction to Opeth and I knew then that this band was something special.

Epicurus
12-03-2005, 03:10 AM
The Moor and The Drapery Falls are my two favorite for sure.

rhcp pman
12-03-2005, 03:35 AM
Man, I love Opeth. I like a lot of bands, but very rarely, one comes along that just blows my world away like Opeth. My fav songs are probably Windowpane, the Drapery Falls (good live), the Moor, Ghost of Perdition, Bleak and Black Rose Immortal. They have so many good songs though. And Akerfeldt is a god. The pronounciations are interesting. For e.g. I think Akerfeldt is pronounced "Awk-er-felt" and Opeth is pronounced "Op-th" without the e. Just a rumour though. :D

Morningrise
12-03-2005, 03:45 AM
Man, I love Opeth. I like a lot of bands, but very rarely, one comes along that just blows my world away like Opeth. My fav songs are probably Windowpane, the Drapery Falls (good live), the Moor, Ghost of Perdition, Bleak and Black Rose Immortal. They have so many good songs though. And Akerfeldt is a god. The pronounciations are interesting. For e.g. I think Akerfeldt is pronounced "Awk-er-felt" and Opeth is pronounced "Op-th" without the e. Just a rumour though. :D
Nah, Opeth is pronounced with an e. But I agree with you about them being one of the more unique bands in metal.

rhcp pman
12-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Nah, Opeth is pronounced with an e. But I agree with you about them being one of the more unique bands in metal.
Ah ok. I got the Opeth pronounciation from urbandictionary.com after searching Opeth. Of course, any random person can write stuff in there, so the person who wrote that pronounciation in there was probably wrong.

whatduffhuck7
12-03-2005, 10:55 AM
i was looking at the top 100 albums of all time on this one site. he rates them by going to at least 30 other sites and combining all of there rankings. so its pretty acurate. but opeth has like 7 of there 8 albums in the top 50. still life is the best opeth album acording to this site.

here is that site
http://www.themetalmatrix.com/index.html

vashts80
12-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Opeth is pronounced Oh-peth, kinda like "open" except "opeth" :P

Jude
12-03-2005, 11:12 AM
My top five...not in any order except Melinda is at the top.

Face of Melinda
The Moor
To Bid You Farewell
Bleak
Advent

It's pretty rough deciding on my top ones. There are so many that are all just equally good.

ok lateralus
12-03-2005, 02:21 PM
My top 5 ( in no order)

Demon of the Fall
Black Rose Immortal
Ghost of Perdition
The Moor
In Mist She Was Standing

JamJar
12-03-2005, 02:37 PM
My Top 5 (In No Order)

Black Rose Immortal
To Bid You Farewell
Demon Of The Fall
Serenity Painted Death
The Drapery Falls

Werny
12-03-2005, 05:26 PM

But it's nothing like their other work. If you want to get into a band you'd want to get something that sounds like the rest of their catalogue, right? Damnation has no metal or growling in it, and the general sound is very Porcupine Tree, british kind of style (to me at least). Opeth's other material tends to have a medieval feel to it.

Still Life, on the other hand, is not very harsh at all and has a lot of laid-back acoustic moments. It's their softest (besides the aforementioned Damnation) but also has a lot of kick-*** double bass moments.

Werny
12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh, and my top 5 in no order;

Wreath
The Apostle In Triumph
The Drapery Falls
Reverie
Moonlapse Vertigo

Toaster
12-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Top five:

Serenity Painted Death
Master's Apprentices
Blackwater Park
Advent
Deliverance

In no order.

Deth
12-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Top 5, top 3 in order:
Black Rose Immortal
Godhead's Lament (Screw you Darkness :p)
Bleak
Deliverance
April Ethereal

RouteOne
12-03-2005, 08:06 PM

1. Black Rose Immortal
4. Karma
5. The Forest Of October
Thanks. I feel this way because Forest of October comprises all of the components that ARE Opeth. Flowing Acoustic parts, Akerfeldt's phenominal clean vocals, crushing riffs and overall haunting atmosphere.

Darkness
12-03-2005, 08:06 PM
(Screw you Darkness :p)
:upset:

I don't really have a top 5 really... I like all Opeth. I like different songs for different moods I'm in.

Deth
12-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks. I feel this way because Forest of October comprises all of the components that ARE Opeth. Flowing Acoustic parts, Akerfeldt's phenominal clean vocals, crushing riffs and overall haunting atmosphere.
Great avatar. The Mantle is godly.

RouteOne
12-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Great avatar. The Mantle is godly.
Yes. Definetly one of the greatest metal records to be recorded.

TojesDolan
12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah so, I just felt like putting this somewhere, and the community thread seemed risky. as Lord Abortion had never heard any Opeth, he said it was amazing, and that made me wonder... How did Opeth enter your life? I mean, let's call it Opethography. Here's mine:

I DL'd Opeth's benighted because I read in this forums it was an amazing finger-picking song. Being a retired punk at the time, I found the song comforting, and mellow, but a bit tiring (as in boring). Then, I read about their best song: "Black Rose Immortal". I DL'd it, and I found the first part good, but I couldn't really get a lot into the vocals. Enters progressive Rock loving, some Dream theater some over here over there, and I discover Harvest, my favorite acoustic song by Opeth, ever. Then I listened to Karma, which I really enjoyed, and then enters Blackwater Park, Still life and Morningrise. And the song Deliverance. Up to this point I'm fascinated with them. Then I discovered the albums Damnation and Deliverance, which I'm currently giving a listen to, and I'm still urging to watch the DVD.

Share. :)

Darkness
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I heard they were awesome from some Tool fans. So I typed in Opeth in Winmx. First thing that came up was "Wreath" from Deliverance. I played it, and after about 3 min I was fed up and shut it off and deleted it. A few months later, convinced by another Tool fan I downloaded "Blackwater Park". I was blown away, got more songs from the album, was even more blown by tracks like "The Drapery Falls" and "The Leper Affinity". Then I bought the album, then downloaded Still Life, bought Deliverance and Damnation, downloaded MAYH, etc.

There my 2nd favorite band ever since. :)

vashts80
12-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't remember how I specifically heard about them, maybe it was from somebody in the Megadeth thread, but I downloaded Damnation and listened to it for about two months, before venturing onto BWP and Deliverance.

Killtacular
12-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Face of Melinda
Serenity Painted Death
Godhead's Lament
Hope Leaves
To Bid You Farewell

My god, do I kick ass.

Jude
12-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Still Life, on the other hand, is not very harsh at all and has a lot of laid-back acoustic moments. It's their softest (besides the aforementioned Damnation) but also has a lot of kick-*** double bass moments.
Not to mention the beginning of The Moor \m/ and the beginning of Serenity Painted Death with that crazy chugging riff.

Deth
12-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Face of Melinda
Serenity Painted Death
Godhead's Lament
Hope Leaves
To Bid You Farewell

My god, do I kick ass.
Still Life whore I see.

You do kick ass though, I'll give you that.

vashts80
12-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Stole this off the Ultimate Metal Opeth forums

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4153372561067572007&q=%22opeth%22

That is pwn right there, ladies and gentlemen. I hope my catholic private HS has an outdoor event like that (battle of the bands or talent show or whatever) cos I'd like to cover Opeth for it :O

Darkness
12-04-2005, 06:24 PM
You do kick ass though, I'll give you that.
Thats a damn lie. :D

Deth
12-04-2005, 06:36 PM
You, however, do not.

That googlevideo is a pretty good cover if I may say so.

Darkness
12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
You, however, do not.
I always thought you kicked ass. :upset:

I was just bugging Scruples. :p

Deth
12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
You did? *blushes*

Scruples is cool, he's like a puppy.

Txus
12-04-2005, 06:50 PM
This is my top 5 in no order....i can't really decide.

To Bid Your Farewell
Deliverance
Serenity Painted Death
When
Blackwater Park

bucket
12-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Do you guys remember when someone suggested a band called Soundsleep, because they were similar to softer Opeth? I'm searching, but I can't find that post in here. I'm desperately searching for info and stuff about this band, so please help me out if you can. Someone posted a link to a few mp3s quite awhile back.

Damien, I posted in your thread.

I've uploaded the fourth and final (I believe) Soundsleep song, The Withering Process. This song is straight up Opeth. It is pretty bad recording quality though.

If anyone wants this song post your email.

It's 20 minutes long, in the sytle of Opeth, and I love the singer. He has a deep bassy voice.

Darkness
12-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I'll take it, if you don't mind.

somebodysomeone509@hotmail.com

Toaster
12-04-2005, 07:58 PM
On the note of recommended bands in this thread.. I just want to thank whoever mentioned November's Doom in this thread. I got To Welcome The Fade, and it's absolutely awesome. Plodding, heavy songs with awesome vocals and a female vocalist thrown in there once in awhile.. not too similar to Opeth, but amazing in their own right. :thumb:

Who's Soundsleep?

Darkness
12-04-2005, 08:12 PM
My favorite November's Doom song currently is "Dark Feilds for Brilliance"... awesome tune.

Hells Bells
12-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I think I heard them for the first time before I was into metal, didn't like the growls, and didn't look at them again until me and one of my friends started talking about bands from sweden. She started going on about Opeth and how awesome they were, so I thought I'd give them another shot. They've become one of my favourite bands :D

:upset:

I don't really have a top 5 really... I like all Opeth.

My thoughts exactly :p

UpperDecker
12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
I read somewhere that Morningrise was about the singers girlfriend that drowned, i also heard it was about his uncle or grandfather that passed away during the recording. Does anyone know the story behind Morningrise?

Jude
12-05-2005, 07:03 AM
I read somewhere that Morningrise was about the singers girlfriend that drowned, i also heard it was about his uncle or grandfather that passed away during the recording. Does anyone know the story behind Morningrise?
It's not really a concept album, so there's no story behind it. However the song The Night and the Silent Water is about Mikael Akerfeldt's grandfather's death though.

Stoo
12-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Don't know about my top 5, but I do know Bleak would be #1.

UpperDecker
12-05-2005, 09:29 AM
It's not really a concept album, so there's no story behind it. However the song The Night and the Silent Water is about Mikael Akerfeldt's grandfather's death though.

thanks

Jude
12-05-2005, 12:11 PM
This is a really random question and doesn't belong here but I'll forget it if I don't post it now. Anyone know how you get extra long user titles?

bucket
12-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Who's Soundsleep?

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/soundsleep.37808.php

There's a link to three of their songs. It's just an Opeth forum poster's band. REALLY good. Those tracks are prog rock, but I have an upload ready of a song that's very similar to Opeth.

TojesDolan
12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
This is a really random question and doesn't belong here but I'll forget it if I don't post it now. Anyone know how you get extra long user titles?
You can't since the vBulettin thing was changed. :(

let's wait for someone to break it again.

Stormrider
12-05-2005, 01:08 PM

Can't you get banned for those ?

NP Iced Earth - 1776

UnknowN Doodl3.2
12-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Can't you get banned for those ?

NP Iced Earth - 1776

probably but i dont see why its a big problem... unless theyre exceedingly, ridiculously long...

on topic... saw opeth 1 month ago... really good. surprisingly the highilight for me was probablt the overal power of the band in the stronger passages...especially when they played blackwater park, love that song...

akerfeldt's voice never fails to amaze me...

Jude
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure if they were ever banned, but yeah, I haven't seen them in a while. I'm not even sure what reminded me of that.

lightningmetal666
12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey does anyone know if Opeth will be in the Los Angeles area soon?

I really want to check these guys out live. Thanx.

vashts80
12-05-2005, 05:23 PM
They haven't announced any 2nd NA leg dates yet, which you would have found out if you'd gone to their official site.

Whale and Wasp
12-05-2005, 06:32 PM
i'm thinking about getting deliverance......would you opeth fans say its worth it? (i've only heard ghost reveries and i love it)

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
i'm thinking about getting deliverance......would you opeth fans say its worth it? (i've only heard ghost reveries and i love it)
I would get Black water park first...but thats just me.

Check out their older stuff also. Most of their best work is there.

Darkness
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Get Blackwater Park first, unless you want something heavy/brutal.

Deth
Of course. If you've only heard GR, you may be best going to get Blackwater Park and Still Life first, as they are more balanced albums. Deliverance is fantastic though, and worth every penny.

Darkness
:lol: 3 of us instantly jump on him.

Stormrider
12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
I seem to be the only one whos getting Orchid first..

Whale and Wasp
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
yes ive heard of blackwater park, and i was going to get it but BMG only has ghost reveries, deliverance, and damnation

thanks anyhow :)

Deth
Yeah, pretty much.

EDIT: Yeah, get Deliverance then.

RouteOne
I seem to be the only one whos getting Orchid first..
Orchid is my favorite. :D

\m/ forest of October \m/

I still need to get still life and MAYH...

Stormrider
12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah, pretty much.

Is it something bad or anything ? Im getting worried :p

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Is it something bad or anything ? Im getting worried :p

I just love the songs Ive heard from it. Though I want Still Life after.
Orchid is a masterpiece hands down.

Deth
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
No, I love it. I just don't think it's a very good album to start on.

Killtacular
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
You did? *blushes*

Scruples is cool, he's like a puppy.
It's tr00.

/pees on carpet, and then looks at you like you're stupid

Stormrider
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
No, I love it. I just don't think it's a very good album to start on.

Ah I see. I asked it for Christmas though, Ill buy Still Life on vacation probably.

Im realy liking Ghost of Perdition these last couple of days..

Whale and Wasp
12-05-2005, 06:46 PM
i especially like the 5th track on ghost reveries except i don't remember what it's called...

/shame on me

Deth
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Atonement. That track's really grown on me.

Darkness
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Atonement. That track's really grown on me.
Thats number 4, hes thinking of Harlequin (sp?) Forest.

Deth
12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Ah. That's what I get when I don't check the album listing.

Both good songs.

Stormrider
12-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I was thinking of getting GR pretty soon. Before all the other ones. I was close to buying a few times, never happened though..

I want to get them all eventualy but my bro wants Deliverance and BWP. So I dont think I need to get those, but Im not sure, I would like having copies of them for my own...

Deth
12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
/owns all 8 albums legally along with Lamentations, a tour shirt and saw them live

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
/owns all 8 albums legally along with Lamentations, a tour shirt and saw them live
Lucky. I still have to get SL and MAYH. I can't find them anywhere.

Jude
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Owns Damnation and pirated the rest of the CDs :upset: doesn't have Lamentations, and couldn't see them live or get a t shirt :upset:

Deth
12-05-2005, 07:04 PM
That, my friends, is why I founded the ( )p37l-l 1337. Too bad you can't get in.

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Owns Damnation and pirated the rest of the CDs :upset: doesn't have Lamentations, and couldn't see them live or get a t shirt :upset:
I think i'm going to have to download SL and MAYH if I can't find it soon.

NP: Agalloch - She painted fire across the skyline

Stormrider
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
I dont own anything yet..plan on getting them all I think eventualy though. The only stuff I have is downloaded songs...

Im an Opeth n00b...

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I dont own anything yet..plan on getting them all I think eventualy though. The only stuff I have is downloaded songs...

Im an Opeth n00b...
You won't regret it.:thumb:

Deth
12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
I think i'm going to have to download SL and MAYH if I can't find it soon.

NP: Agalloch - She painted fire across the skyline
And I think I'm going to have to buy Pale Folklore.

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
And I think I'm going to have to buy Pale Folklore.
Definetly. It's a amazing listen.

BurningSky
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I was forced to get SL and MAYH online after a few months of fruitless searching. Luckily, my FYE had Orchid, Morningrise, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation, and Lamentations in stock. I was able to buy them all over a period of about two years...

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 07:15 PM
I was forced to get SL and MAYH online after a few months of fruitless searching. Luckily, my FYE had Orchid, Morningrise, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation, and Lamentations in stock. I was able to buy them all over a period of about two years...
Exactly my situation.

Deth
12-05-2005, 07:16 PM
I had to buy Still Life and MAYH in England.

naboo
12-05-2005, 08:18 PM
I found all of their album fairly easily throughout the 9 or so months it took me to collect them. The only one I had trouble with was Still Life, which I had to buy on Amazon. I still haven't seen it in any store.

Darkness
12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I own BWP, Deliverance, Damnation, Lamentations, Ghost Reveries, a signed Ghost Reveries shirt and some other signed stuff... I have the rest all downloaded/burnt copies. :upset:

Toaster
12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
I own BWP, Deliverance, Damnation, Lamentations, Ghost Reveries, a signed Ghost Reveries shirt and some other signed stuff... I have the rest all downloaded/burnt copies. :upset:

I have all the CDs you have. The rest, like you say, I have downloaded. I asked for the rest of them for Christmas.

Killtacular
All I have is Blackwater Park, which I got offa da eBay for like 6 dollars.

The rest, shamefully, is pirated. I do plan on buying them all eventually, though.

Txus
I own Damnation, Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, Lamentations and Orchid....i don't have any opeth shirt's :upset:

Toaster
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
All I have is Blackwater Park, which I got offa da eBay for like 6 dollars.

The rest, shamefully, is pirated. I do plan on buying them all eventually, though.

Shame on you and your family! :evil:

I have one signed Lamentations shirt, but only Mikael and Peter signed it.

Killtacular
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I own Damnation, Deliverance, Ghost Reveries, Lamentations and Orchid....i don't have any opeth shirt's :upset:
No Blackwater Park?

For shame.

Txus
12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
No Blackwater Park?

For shame.
I know, i suck at life.:upset:

Killtacular
12-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I know, i suck at life.:upset:
It's tr00, but you can turn that frown upside down and become a winner!

Just send me $3.50 in the mail. I'll give you my address later.

Toaster
12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
I just noticed how cool this thread's title is. So final and foreboding. From what was it taken?

Treebeard
12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I want to get the Opeth shirt that has their old logo on it. The one available on their site, the one with the upside down cross.

YES!!

Killtacular
12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I just noticed how cool this thread's title is. So final and foreboding. From what was it taken?
The Deliverance shirt, I believe. It was just a quote on the back of some Opeth shirt.

RouteOne
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
I want to get the Opeth shirt that has their old logo on it. The one available on their site, the one with the upside down cross.

YES!!
:-o

*checks out site.*

http://www.blastwaves.com/images/items/lg/608.jpg

omg...I must have that....

Darkness
12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
You can thank me for coming up with the idea for using that! :cool:

New tour dates added also.

Special Brew
12-05-2005, 09:59 PM
(6:10 PM MST 12/05/2005)
Unsurprisingly, Roadrunner look to be planning a reissue of Opeth's latest album "Ghost Reveries" with a number of bonus tracks in the not too distant future.
Oh snap, it's mine.

Does anyone know where I can find Opeth shirts in the sizes Youth Large or Small? (I also want Darkthrone tees if you know that as well)

Darkness
12-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Did you see what the bonus tracks actually are? Something like 2 remixes or something and a Deep Purple cover.

Special Brew
12-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Nah, that's all the info I've seen about it. As soon as I saw that, I came straight here.

Darkness
12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
The songs will also be included on the planned special release of "Ghost reveries". The songs recorded: "The grand conjuration", "When" and "Soldier of fortune" (Deep Purple cover).
Pretty crappy, I think Opeth can do better...

Werny
12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I purchased Still Life, Damnation and Blackwater Park secondhand down at the local music shop, bought Ghost Reveries for a mere $21 (that's in Aus) at a supermarket, and accidentally downloaded Deliverance.

(by that I mean I had a few random songs downloaded, and when I looked at the tracklist for Deliverance I discovered I had the whole album, every song at 192kbps... sweet. I'll buy it someday, seeing as it's their best)

Oh and once again I see people not able to find Still Life. I saw it in Australia's second-biggest record store. So if so, why can't you get it in US? Have you tried ordering it?

(ordering doesn't always work... I've been waiting over 2 months for Cathedral's Forest of Equilibrium which was meant to only take 2 weeks)

Det_Nosnip
12-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Hmm...

I still need to get still life and MAYH...

Aaah..makes sense, now. :)

PeEpHoLe_10
12-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Not sure if it has been posted, but Opeth are heading down under next April. They are also playing in NZ this time. Check their site for details. They are playing at Luna Park in Sydney, that made me laugh when i read it. Im already pumped for it.

dUSK
12-06-2005, 05:01 AM
^ That was the only good thing that's happened to me all day.

:D

Jude
12-06-2005, 10:54 AM
:-o

*checks out site.*

http://www.blastwaves.com/images/items/lg/608.jpg

omg...I must have that....
New logo >>>>>>>>>>>>>> that.

Stoo
12-06-2005, 11:40 AM
New logo >>>>>>>>>>>>>> that.
Totally agree. The old one looks pretty tacky.

Deth
12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
And generic.

Killtacular
12-06-2005, 07:33 PM
That old logo is poo.

12-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Not sure if it has been posted, but Opeth are heading down under next April. They are also playing in NZ this time. Check their site for details. They are playing at Luna Park in Sydney, that made me laugh when i read it. Im already pumped for it.

:D :D :D

Two shows in melbourne, I'll be at both.

Flynn
12-06-2005, 08:47 PM

Hell yeah, I'll drink to that. :chug:

Jude
12-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I have no shows to look forward to until Porcupine Tree next spring. Because I know I won't be able to make it to Opeth's show in February, if they even play anywhere remotely near my college :upset:

And wtf is up with the new selection of smilies they show? :lol: and :upset: are the most commonly used, they need to be on the top of the list :angry:

vashts80
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
OMFG when are PT playing in Philly?

If Opeth come to the TLA again I'll be happy...too bad they haven't announced the 2nd leg NA dates yet :\

On another note, I just realized how much of an epic Deliverance (the song) is..it seems to just "naturally progress," if anybody knows what I mean. The end bit seems to drag on a little too long, but that's my only complaint about that song

Jude
12-06-2005, 10:21 PM
OMFG when are PT playing in Philly?

If Opeth come to the TLA again I'll be happy...too bad they haven't announced the 2nd leg NA dates yet :\

On another note, I just realized how much of an epic Deliverance (the song) is..it seems to just "naturally progress," if anybody knows what I mean. The end bit seems to drag on a little too long, but that's my only complaint about that song
They haven't announced dates yet, but they're touring next spring/summer to promote their DVD and reissues.

Actually I'm not in Philly now, I'm in VA for college, but hopefully I'll be home when they're playing.

Deliverance has a sweet groove at the end even if it goes on forever. And the beginning riff is the best use of one note I've ever heard.

vashts80
12-06-2005, 10:43 PM
PT better come to Philly somewhere. Out of the two venues I've been too, the TLA has been the best, heh. The sound wasn't exactly perfect, as during Into Eternity (when I saw Opeth) I couldn't hear the vocals, but they got that fixed about halfway through IE and into Nevermore.

When I saw Gigantour in Atlantic City, however, the sound was horrible. I was in seating in the House of Blues venue here in AC, and it was wayyy too bassy. You could barely hear the vocals from up in the balcony seating area. I have no idea about the floor though..

Yeah, the end of Deliverance has a nice groove, but if they cut out one or two of the

0000000-0-00-0-00

parts it'd be great; the beginning riff is fun as hell to play and thrash too, then it just stops and bam, brutalism again, heh

Jude
12-06-2005, 10:49 PM
PT better come to Philly somewhere. Out of the two venues I've been too, the TLA has been the best, heh.

Dude they played Philly twice in 2005, in may at the Troc (I saw em) and then in September at the Keswick. They're moving up in status; at that rate they'll be playing the Linc next time.

Deth
12-07-2005, 06:41 AM
I doubt they're coming to South Florida anytime soon. It's a dead end.

Werny
12-07-2005, 08:00 AM
The end of Deliverance couldn't be any shorter or longer to me, it's possibly the most epic and brave thing Opeth have done.

Jude
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
The end of Deliverance couldn't be any shorter or longer to me, it's possibly the most epic and brave thing Opeth have done.
Nah, the most epic part of an Opeth song is either the beginning of The Moor or the end of Blackwater Park.

Cain
12-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Nah, the most epic part of an Opeth song is either the beginning of The Moor or the end of Blackwater Park.

I think the Moor is most epic in general. I love that song.

JamJar
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM

Totally agree there. I absolutely love the intro, there's something beautifully haunting about it and when the amazing acoustic riff comes in, it's amazingly medievil (sp?).

On another note, I was just about to start recording ghost of perdition for the rock/metal cover competition and my e string broke when i was tuning it down to D :angry:

Stormrider
12-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Totally agree there. I absolutely love the intro, there's something beautifully haunting about it and when the amazing acoustic riff comes in, it's amazingly medievil (sp?).

On another note, I was just about to start recording ghost of perdition for the rock/metal cover competition and my e string broke when i was tuning it down to D :angry:

Thats awsome if you record it. I realy like the part where the acoustic chord strumming starts and theres Mikael going

"ahhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhahhhhhhahhahhhh

Sorry this looks weird..

JamJar
12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Thats awsome if you record it. I realy like the part where the acoustic chord strumming starts and theres Mikael going

Sorry this looks weird..

Mikaels singing is awsome in that bit.

I'll probably just record the bass for now :)

vashts80
12-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Dude they played Philly twice in 2005, in may at the Troc (I saw em) and then in September at the Keswick. They're moving up in status; at that rate they'll be playing the Linc next time.

I know they played Philly in September, but I didn't realize until two days after the show happened, heh. I wasn't into PT this summer, most of the bands I listen to now I got into in late August/early September

Deth
12-07-2005, 07:34 PM
I would say 'To Bid You Farewell' would take that title.

Txus
12-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Everyone listen to this guy, I totally agree IMO TBYF is their most beautiful song.:)

/Is a Morningrise whore.

Silent Death
12-07-2005, 08:36 PM

It's been a long time since Iv'e been on here.

I aggree with you on that, To Bid You Farewell is so amazing.

Hells Bells
12-07-2005, 09:46 PM

Yeah, and the band seems to think so too.

Mikael:

Certainly, there are some parts on our albums that was kind of daring. With "Morningrise" we incuded a balladlike track in "To bid you farewell" right in the midst of the rising Black metal trend.

Flynn
12-07-2005, 10:18 PM

Yeah, that song is legendary. I love it as well.

Darkness
12-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Me to, it pwns Godheads Lament. :thumb: :D (Screw you, Deth :p)

i am the robots
12-08-2005, 08:15 PM

Best part:

There is no forgiveness in these eyes
For any of you but one
Dispel the mist for now
Melinda is the reason why I've come

Darkness
12-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Best part:

There is no forgiveness in these eyes
For any of you but one
Dispel the mist for now
Melinda is the reason why I've come
Tr00f, the finger picking there is awesome.

i am the robots
12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Tr00f, the finger picking there is awesome.

With the harmonized "oooh" thing overtop.

That's what A7X was progressing into before CoE, I'm so sad about that :(.

Det_Nosnip
12-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Right. Avenged Sevenfold was progressing towards Opeth...:rolleyes: That's like saying Blink 182 was progressing towards Refused before they made Aenima of the State.

Slapping Penguin
12-09-2005, 03:38 AM
I bought Lamentations. Its really good and makes me so pumped to see them. Nahh I like the end of Delierance. Its works. Before Lamentions though I was never really into Delverance or Damnation. I am now. I recommend and the documentary is great.

Those bits in the Moor are fanstasic. If anything I like how Opeth allways changes but its not changing music just there style if that makes sense. It really makes each album special. Mikeal says on Lamentaions that they are unlikely to do that duel guitar thing again. Which is fine because it makes the albums where they did do that so much more.

UpperDecker
12-09-2005, 10:55 AM
I put a cover of April Ethereal in the Audio Arena if anyone wants to listen to it. Not great quality but its ok. Please let me know what you think.

Oriah
12-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I listen To Opeth in the car all the time. Right now it is BWP. Why do I love it so!?

Toaster
12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I bought Lamentations. Its really good and makes me so pumped to see them. Nahh I like the end of Delierance. Its works. Before Lamentions though I was never really into Delverance or Damnation. I am now. I recommend and the d0cumentary is great.

I recently learned the end of Deliverance on drums.. :D I was a bit disappointed with Lamentations though. Too much stuff off of Damnation.

Deth
12-09-2005, 02:40 PM
I recently learned the end of Deliverance on drums.. :D I was a bit disappointed with Lamentations though. Too much stuff off of Damnation.
What, like the whole album? :p

I love Lamentations.

Toaster
12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
For me, any Damnation live is too much. It's not too exciting, I'd much rather listen to some varied stuff.

Stoo
12-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I listen To Opeth in the car all the time. Right now it is BWP. Why do I love it so!?
Opeth = Bad driving music.

I drove to work once which is literally 1 minute car journey (Yes, very lazy) And I had just bought Still Life, and I was listening to The Moor. Well, when I got to work I was like WTF?!? The song hadn't even really started!

Extremely good for long dark night driving though. :thumb:

Jude
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Opeth = Bad driving music.

I drove to work once which is literally 1 minute car journey (Yes, very lazy) And I had just bought Still Life, and I was listening to The Moor. Well, when I got to work I was like WTF?!? The song hadn't even really started!

Extremely good for long dark night driving though. :thumb:

Holy crap, did you ever drive through the woods at night? That's pretty much what Opeth was made for. Especially when there are no lights around and you turn off your car lights and scare everyone in the car.

Cain
12-09-2005, 07:08 PM
ATTN:

For any guitar-playing Opeth fans in here, I've made a complete guitar transcription for "Black Rose Immortal" and have posted it in the guitar forum. Check it out if you want. :thumb:

Deth
12-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Jesus, how long did that take you?

Still waiting for a bass tab.

Stormrider
12-09-2005, 07:12 PM

My thoughts exacly even though I havnt heard the song :upset:..

All i know is that its realy long.

Cain
12-09-2005, 07:14 PM

Still waiting for a bass tab.

The past five days. A few other tabs were immensely helpful in figuring out the proper notes, though: after that it was a simple matter of figuring out the duration.

Wait...not so simple. :p

Linkage: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422035

EDIT: The song's long, but only because it repeats a few riffs forever with a slight variation every four times. ;) That said, it's still awesome.

Deth
12-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Wow, impressive.

Mad props.

TojesDolan
12-09-2005, 07:41 PM
I have lamentations but don't have a DVD player lol.

On a more serious note, I'm thinking about making an Opeth medley for the contest. Fear not, as it'll be just acoustic riffs. I'm thinking about this songs:

The moor
Harvest
face of melinda
bleak
(adding more)

I'll upload something here when I have it ready. :)

Txus
12-09-2005, 08:10 PM
The past five days. A few other tabs were immensely helpful in figuring out the proper notes, though: after that it was a simple matter of figuring out the duration.

Wait...not so simple.

Linkage: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422035

EDIT: The song's long, but only because it repeats a few riffs forever with a slight variation every four times. ;) That said, it's still awesome.
:eek: You did an awesome job with this man....but i'm in the same situation as Creeping Deth....still waiting for the bass tab :upset: BTW you are from connecticut also!:chug:

Darkness
12-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Great job with that tab, dude.

Hells Bells
12-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Awesome man! :thumb: It's very clear, which is more than I can say for most tabs I've seen, and it looks like you got all the detail.

:eek: You did an awesome job with this man....but i'm in the same situation as Creeping Deth....still waiting for the bass tab :upset:

That makes three of us :upset: Not many people are willing to tab out a song that long. Oh well, I'm happy with learning The Drapery Falls now. Opeth's songs are so much fun to learn on bass, they have some of the most interesting bass lines I've heard from any band.

/NP Evacuation Code Deciphered - Arcturus

RouteOne
12-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I wish Opeth would come out with another epic song like Blackrose immortal.

vashts80
12-10-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure one of the guitarpro tabs on mysongbook has the bassline in it...whether or not it's correct is the question

Edit: omfg BRI = pwn

I've only listened to it once before and I never realized how much of an epic it really is

Edit 2: From what I can tell, most of the bass on the guitarpro tab at http://www.mysongbook.com/tab-tab_download-id_tablature=49441.htm is correct

Txus
12-10-2005, 09:32 AM
That makes three of us :upset: Not many people are willing to tab out a song that long. Oh well, I'm happy with learning The Drapery Falls now. Opeth's songs are so much fun to learn on bass, they have some of the most interesting bass lines I've heard from any band.

In a near future i will try to tab BRI, just give me some time and BTW the best bass line to learn and to play is To Bid Your Farewell.:)

the2stranger
12-10-2005, 09:48 AM
hello

I haven't posted in here for ages, anyway sorry if this was already posted before.
but I found a site wehere some German dude plays piano impressions of Damnation, which is incredible :eek:

it has some Pain Of Salvation too, enjoy :)

http://www.lenin01.de/index.php?site=piano

Darkness
12-10-2005, 09:49 AM
hello

I haven't posted in here for ages, anyway sorry if this was already posted before.
but I found a site wehere some German dude plays piano impressions of Damnation, which is incredible :eek:

it has some Pain Of Salvation too, enjoy :)

http://www.lenin01.de/index.php?site=piano
Wow thanks, I'm ganna check that out.

the2stranger
12-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm gonna burn this on cd, this will make exelent romantic music for me and my GF on cold dark winter nights :)

EverytimeIBodom
12-10-2005, 11:27 AM
I need good acoustic Opeth songs. No growling preferred. :)

the2stranger
12-10-2005, 11:31 AM
all of Damnation :)
as well as Harvest, Credence, Face Of Melinda

Jude
12-10-2005, 03:06 PM
all of Damnation :)
as well as Harvest, Credence, Face Of Melinda
And Benighted and To Bid You Farewell.

Man, I just saw Narnia today, and those winter forest scenes are pretty much the visuals that Opeth songs are made for.

Stoo
12-10-2005, 03:45 PM
And Benighted and To Bid You Farewell.

Man, I just saw Narnia today, and those winter forest scenes are pretty much the visuals that Opeth songs are made for.
Lol, can just imagine the audience of 9 year old kids crapping themselves when "The Leper Affinity" all of a sudden blasts out during Narnia.

"Hey, what's that low humming noise?"

:smash:

The Flabbit Rides High
12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Lol, can just imagine the audience of 9 year old kids crapping themselves when "The Leper Affinity" all of a sudden blasts out during Narnia.

My younger brother put Opeth - White Cluster in his bloopers section of his movie.

Its starts right after one of the caracters says "fuck!". Excellent! :lol:

Jude
12-10-2005, 04:39 PM

:lol: Opeth songs would actually work well in a lot of parts of many movies, especially the acoustic parts.

Stoo
12-10-2005, 04:45 PM
:lol: Opeth songs would actually work well in a lot of parts of many movies, especially the acoustic parts.
Totally. Everytime I watch a film, I'm like, ooo *Insert appropriate Opeth masterpiece* would fit perfectly here.

:chug:

Jude
12-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Totally. Everytime I watch a film, I'm like, ooo *Insert appropriate Opeth masterpiece* would fit perfectly here.

:chug:
Narnia could definitely have used a few Morningrise and BWP tracks.

Lord of the Rings would not have suffered from the beginning of Black Rose Immortal either.

RouteOne
12-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Narnia could definitely have used a few Morningrise and BWP tracks.

Lord of the Rings would not have suffered from the beginning of Black Rose Immortal either.
lol. I wouldn't put BRI in LOTR. :p

Stoo
12-10-2005, 04:58 PM
A film with long credits at the start should have "The Moor" playing over them.

RouteOne
12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
The likes of LOTR are ment for symphonic music. Not metal.

Jude
12-10-2005, 05:11 PM
I suppose. But Opeth would still work quite well with it, especially the acoustic passages.

Morningrise
12-10-2005, 06:29 PM
*cough*... Blind Guardian. *cough*

RouteOne
12-10-2005, 06:30 PM
*cough*... Blind Guardian. *cough*
I guess i would agree on some of their stuff, but they can't get the epic sound a full orchestra can.

Stormrider
12-10-2005, 06:50 PM
I guess i would agree on some of their stuff, but they can't get the epic sound a full orchestra can.

And Then There Was Silence...Actualy most of their stuff from A Night At The Opera.

Sorry, thi aint related to Opeth.

RustedPieces
12-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I was never really into Opeth before, but I recently downloaded To Bid You Farewell. That is quite possibly the most beautiful metal song I've ever heard.

relliK
12-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I have recently been getting into GR more and more.It is so amazing.People here are really overlooking all the special moments on it.I personally think Ghost of Perdition is one of the most complete Opeth songs ever.It's up there with The Moor as being the best representation of the band's complete sound.

Stormrider
12-10-2005, 08:08 PM
I have recently been getting into GR more and more.It is so amazing.People here are really overlooking all the special moments on it.I personally think Ghost of Perdition is one of the most complete Opeth songs ever.It's up there with The Moor as being the best representation of the band's complete sound.

I just simply love that song. I came close to buying GR and it never happened unfortunatly :(

relliK
12-10-2005, 08:14 PM
The part in that song that really gets to me everytime is during the second acoustic at about 7 mins.

"To see her beloved son, in dispair of what's to come...." then it errupts into the distorted section followed by that awesome solo.FUCK!!That part is so magical.

Stormrider
12-10-2005, 08:18 PM

That part realy gets me...the whole song is good though.

ok lateralus
12-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I love the reprise of that acoustic part near the end of GoP, with the vocal harmonies. Then the song explodes back in and that beautiful, majestic ending starts.

vashts80
12-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Does anybody know what gear Mendez uses?

I know he uses his MM sig usually with Laney (I think) amps (I could have sworn in Lamentations he was using Laney, but when I saw them on Halloween he was using Warwick cabs)...what other stuff does he use? And anybody know what strings he uses? heh

Werny
12-10-2005, 08:56 PM

The only parts that rival the end of Deliverance for me;

- The beginning/ending riff of The Drapery Falls.
- The ever-so-sexy ending of A Fair Judgement
- The part in White Cluster with Mikael, barely audible, doing the whole "aaaah aaaah AAAAH aaah" over the top. The fact that you can barely hear him makes it all the better.
- The beginning of Hours of Wealth

Yeah. The Moor doesn't really do much for me after the awesome beginning.

Deth
12-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Does anybody know what gear Mendez uses?

I know he uses his MM sig usually with Laney (I think) amps (I could have sworn in Lamentations he was using Laney, but when I saw them on Halloween he was using Warwick cabs)...what other stuff does he use? And anybody know what strings he uses? heh
They give an album by album breakdown on their site.

He did indeed switch from Laney to Warwick, and as well all know, he's a prophet of the Jazz bass. No idea what strings he uses, though I have an article on him in Bass Guitar magazine, so I'll look for it tomorrow.

Det_Nosnip
12-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Nice. :cool: The new album rules.

The Cynic
12-11-2005, 09:25 AM
The only parts that rival the end of Deliverance for me;

- The beginning/ending riff of The Drapery Falls.
- The ever-so-sexy ending of A Fair Judgement
- The part in White Cluster with Mikael, barely audible, doing the whole "aaaah aaaah AAAAH aaah" over the top. The fact that you can barely hear him makes it all the better.
- The beginning of Hours of Wealth

The Moor is one of the if not my favorite song by Opeth. The aong is just so epic and amazing especially when the acoustic part comes in.

Jude
12-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Man, I don't understand how you can't love it. The switchbacks between hard and soft are soooooo incredible....
ooooh oooh oooh ooooooh etc etc
then
OUTCAST WITH DOGMAS FORGED BELOOOOOOOOW
SEARED AND BEATEN ETC ETC

There's so many other great parts like that, great riffs....that song is just 100% amazing and epic.

Stoo
12-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Just got Lamentations. :cool:

I'll watch it after work.

Killtacular
12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I want Lamentations.
:(

Jude
12-11-2005, 10:06 AM
I want Lamentations.
:(
Me too :(

Maybe I'll get it over Christmas

Shattered_Future
12-11-2005, 10:07 AM
I still have to get that too...

I'm broke until Christmas. All my money is going towards presents. :angry:

I want to get I by Meshuggah for my dad...he said he wanted to hear what Meshuggah sounds like.:lol:

Stormrider
12-11-2005, 10:10 AM
I still have to get that too...

I'm broke until Christmas. All my money is going towards presents. :angry:

I want to get I by Meshuggah for my dad...he said he wanted to hear what Meshuggah sounds like.:lol:

Thats awsome If your dad ends up listeing to Meshuggah !

Im pretty sure of getting Orchid for Christmas :) Along with an Opeth shirt..Dunno which though.

azbassman
12-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Im getting Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse for christmas.

Killtacular
12-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Don't do that, because then he won't like them. Get something not as repetative and painful sounding. You know how old guys don't like droning 2 minute intros.

azbassman
12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Don't do that, because then he won't like them. Get something not as repetative and painful sounding. You know how old guys don't like droning 2 minute intros.
I think its cool when your parents try to understand your music.

JamJar
12-11-2005, 11:18 AM

I usually have Lateralus playing in the car and my dad's starting to get into it :)

Lamentations and Orchid are both on my christmas list :)

Jude
12-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah. Well, actually my dad listens to about 50% of the stuff I listen to, but then he is really closed-minded about the other stuff. My mom tries to "get it" but usually can't really. Although she did like "Battle of Evermore" by Zeppelin with the vocal harmonies and what.

azbassman
12-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I usually have Lateralus playing in the car and my dad's starting to get into it :)

Lamentations and Orchid are both on my christmas list :)
I ask my parents to finsh up my Opeth collection. but the only ones the guranteed my were Mornigrise and My Arms, Your Hearse......but theres always hope.

Whale and Wasp
12-11-2005, 11:52 AM
i cant wait to get deliverance

ok lateralus
12-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I bet

Flynn
12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
It's a lethal album, and well put together, in all terms. It's worth the purchase.

ok lateralus
12-11-2005, 01:56 PM
It's great, and one of my favorites. Really, all of Opeth's albums are amazing. That can only be said for a few other bands, the Beatles one of them

Treebeard
12-11-2005, 02:03 PM
I wasn't really impressed by Deliverance. It's my least favorite Opeth album I've heard.

ok lateralus
12-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Give it time

Flynn
12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
It's great, and one of my favorites. Really, all of Opeth's albums are amazing. That can only be said for a few other bands, the Beatles one of them

:lol: I've never seen the Beatles and Opeth in the same sentence before.

ok lateralus
12-11-2005, 02:27 PM
:lol: I've never seen the Beatles and Opeth in the same sentence before.
Hah well Mikael loves the Beatles supposedly and they are one of his influences

Flynn
12-11-2005, 02:29 PM
The Beatles had a pretty huge impact on music all around. I respect that.

Deth
12-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I go from The Beatles to Napalm Death to Public Enemy pretty regulary. Good times.

Flynn
12-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I go from The Beatles to Napalm Death to Public Enemy pretty regulary. Good times.

hahaha

Poofy 666
12-11-2005, 03:37 PM
same but without Public Enemy :chug:

Deth
12-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, then it's completely different.

Toaster
12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm not into the Beatles at all. They just bore me to tears. I can see where you could appreciate what they did for music and all that, but as far as liking the band, I don't see the appeal.

Jude
12-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm not into the Beatles at all. They just bore me to tears. I can see where you could appreciate what they did for music and all that, but as far as liking the band, I don't see the appeal.
I can't see not seeing the appeal :confused: I mean, OK some of their old stuff is iffy pop-rock, but post Sgt. Pepper most of their work is genius.

Moses
12-11-2005, 08:17 PM
My mom listens to pretty much anything I put on. Our music tastes have a lot in common with us both being musicians. She loves Opeth, Tool and recently Porcupine Tree. Of course I haven't put alot of black metal on and I wouldn't expect here to like that.

This brings across somthing to my attention that I'm recently starting to delve into. Pop-songwriting. I find that it's actually much harder to create a pop gem than a great metal song. I mean think about when you'll hear another song remotely as great as Sweet Home Alabama or Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. The songs are so simple, and yet so hard to match their greatness.

Killtacular
12-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I can't see not seeing the appeal :confused: I mean, OK some of their old stuff is iffy pop, but post-[Rubber Soul] [all] of their work is [un-fucking-believable].
Fix'd.

On The Edge
12-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Order of albums I should get if I have Blackwater Park and love the death metal vocals + clean vocals contrast?

Det_Nosnip
12-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Still Life next for sure...if you're more into the death vocals, Deliverance or My Arms, Your Hearse....if you're more into the clean vocals, Dam nation or Ghost Reveries. Morningrise and Orchid sound completely different, although still good in their own right.

Det_Nosnip
12-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Fix'd.

Haha, right on. :chug:

=-fukifiknow-=
12-12-2005, 01:29 AM
all thier albums represent a different mood...
i cant get over any of them

rhcp pman
12-12-2005, 05:01 AM
Yeah. Well, actually my dad listens to about 50% of the stuff I listen to, but then he is really closed-minded about the other stuff. My mom tries to "get it" but usually can't really. Although she did like "Battle of Evermore" by Zeppelin with the vocal harmonies and what.
Yeah. I'd say Group 1 of music listeners enjoy a song because of the vocals. Group 2 enjoy it because of the simple/catchy/melodic instrumental work. Group 3 would be enjoying it because of the complicated/progressive instrumental work. You could probably substitute 'group' for 'level', but they don't progress exactly in that way so it's not infallible. Sadly my mum is a Level 1 listener, but she has never once questioned why I listen to extreme music like Opeth :).

Werny
12-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Man, I don't understand how you can't love it. The switchbacks between hard and soft are soooooo incredible....
ooooh oooh oooh ooooooh etc etc
then
OUTCAST WITH DOGMAS FORGED BELOOOOOOOOW
SEARED AND BEATEN ETC ETC

There's so many other great parts like that, great riffs....that song is just 100% amazing and epic.

I think the reason it doesn't grab me after the excellent start is that it doesn't weave around like the rest of the album, it's a relatively simple song. Godhead's Lament, Face of Melinda and White Cluster make me drool because they change around so much and are quite technical but still have that basic catchiness.