PDA

View Full Version : Opeth

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Det_Nosnip
11-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I got the same error message. :confused:

Funny video though, by the sound.

Deth
11-04-2005, 01:33 PM
No one can see it but me? What the hell?

Cain
11-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Is it a .avi file? Some Quicktime users are unable to use Quicktime to view it, and it's not a Windows Media compatible file type either. You need a special player.

Quicktime will play .movs, .mpegs, .mp3s, .wavs and .aiffs, among other things. It can't play .avis. If you can convert it to .mpeg or .mov, we can watch it.

Deth
11-04-2005, 01:46 PM
That's disappointing. It's so funny.

Hells Bells
11-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Is it a .avi file? Some Quicktime users are unable to use Quicktime to view it, and it's not a Windows Media compatible file type either. You need a special player.

Quicktime will play .movs, .mpegs, .mp3s, .wavs and .aiffs, among other things. It can't play .avis. If you can convert it to .mpeg or .mov, we can watch it.

No, it's a .mov file, which is why I'm surprised it won't play it. I probably just don't have the right codecs. I'll try to find those when I figure out how to slap properly...stupid metallic click, I can't get around it :evil:

spacemanjack
11-04-2005, 02:45 PM
I was getting the same error, but I just updated to the newest QT and it came through fine!

Flynn
11-04-2005, 11:02 PM
I've been hooked on Reverie/Harlequin Forest lately. The part where Mikael sings:

It is all false pretension
Harlequin forest
Awaiting redemption for a lifetime
As they die alone
With no one by their side
Are they forgiven?

Pure gold.

Yeah that's a tight riff, and climax...sadly, it's the only segment of Ghost Reveries I care for.

White
11-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Opeth is an excellent example when it comes to not selling out. But one band that has been underground to the general non musically talented public, is dream theater, the Prog metal Goddests themselves, I really look to that as an example when it comes to not selling out, they are true to the music, not the popularity, and thats what counts.

Some other bands that I listen to that I FIND havnt sold out are
Add N To (X)
Anathema
And you Will Know By Us The Trail Of Dead
Anthrax
Aphex Twin
Ars Nova
AT The Drive In
Built To Spill
Cure
Dredg
Emperor
Flower Kings
Guided By Voices
Iced Earth
Interpool
Joy Division
King Crimson
Kraftwerk
Liquid Tension Experiment
Mars Volta
Mr.Bungle
Night Wish
Ozric Tentacles
Porcupine Tree
Sigur Ros
Spocks beard
Symphony X
Tortoise
Translatinic

And some others lol, But I tihnk i ahve posted enoguh, those are in MY OPINION, some bands that dont sell out.

Txus
11-04-2005, 11:16 PM
I've seen it, it's so funny......i wish the video would continue through the whole In My Time Of Need song.:p

Toaster
11-04-2005, 11:16 PM
I honestly don't care too much if bands sell out or not. If they write music I like, I'll listen to them.

YDload
11-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Oh hey I just came here to post the same video clip!

http://sambot.com/2005/11/professor-opeth.html (in case you want it from another site I guess)

I got the same Quicktime error but you can still hear it and that's all that matters. I don't know anything about Mikael Akerfeldt except that he is currently leading in number of nominations in the vocalists comp. Thought you'd like to know.

Det_Nosnip
11-05-2005, 12:37 AM
That's mostly due to the fact that he ****ing rules.

-The Frank
11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
can anyone reccomend me some good opeth songs?

Six Foot Revolver
11-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Wreath
Drapery Falls
Bleak

Those are some good start off songs.

-The Frank
11-05-2005, 08:40 AM
cool, thanks

Jude
11-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Other good start off songs: Face of Melinda, The Moor, To Bid You Farewell.

Darkness
11-05-2005, 10:05 AM
The Leper Affinity to, I'd get that over Wreath, personally. Wreath isn't as ear friendly to the first listener.

Morningrise
11-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Bleak, The Twilight is My Robe, and The Moor should give you a good impression of how a typical Opeth track sounds like.

Dried Muffin Remnants
11-05-2005, 10:43 AM
The Leper Affinity to, I'd get that over Wreath, personally. Wreath isn't as ear friendly to the first listener.

I like it even more than Deliverance. I think the riff is awesome.

Shattered_Future
11-05-2005, 11:54 AM
By The Pain I See In Others is a good one to start off with too.

Bwahahahaha...I don't get the video for this. :upset:

The audio is hilarious though..."Even though I'm not gonna try it, I want everybody to make the highest-pitched scream they can!" :lol:

Special Brew
11-05-2005, 11:56 AM
That's mostly due to the fact that he ****ing rules.
:lol:

Well said!

I think it's safe to say all of them are good songs.

Special Brew
11-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I can't understand what he says in half of the vocal video. :(

Shadows
11-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Right now I'm stuck on the song Hope Leaves. :(

I guess I'll just have to learn to play it now. :)

ElectricalStorm
11-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Damien Rhodes: That av is so hypnotic and strangely soothing to me...

Also to Matt and others who may care, I will eventually get to posting an April Ethereal analysis. I'm very busy this upcoming week so I'll probably get to it shortly after that. Feel free to remind me if I forget/slack off.

Kage
11-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Also to Matt and others who may care, I will eventually get to posting an April Ethereal analysis. I'm very busy this upcoming week so I'll probably get to it shortly after that. Feel free to remind me if I forget/slack off.
I know it must be frustrating that you don't get too many responses to discuss your analysi, but I really appreciated the one you did on Delieverance. I just can't add much because I've never taken the time to seriously look at the meaning of Opeth's lyrics (even though I love the way he writes) , but I still love reading what you write.

Six Foot Revolver
11-05-2005, 05:24 PM
It was the first Opeth song I ever heard and the song that got me into them.

Daven
11-05-2005, 05:26 PM
The song that got me into Opeth is To Bid You Farewell, is such a good song.

Flynn
11-05-2005, 05:38 PM

That song is a legend.

ATC
11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
In The Mist She Was Standing was the first Opeth song I got into. My ex gave me a mixtape that had it in there. I think she figured it was a love song from the name cos she had never even heard of Opeth.

Txus
11-05-2005, 07:06 PM
The song that got me into Opeth was Benighted such an awesome song.

Toaster
11-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Hah, I have to admit, I've never heard it. It isn't on any albums as far as I can tell. Is it just floating around the internet? I know its the bonus track on BWP, but it didn't come with my edition.

Darkness
11-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Hah, I have to admit, I've never heard it. It isn't on any albums as far as I can tell. Is it just floating around the internet? I know its the bonus track on BWP, but it didn't come with my edition.

Its on Morningrise...

ok lateralus
11-05-2005, 07:10 PM

No man, it's on Morningrise. Not a bonus or a rare track on any album. Do you not have Morningrise? Because if you don't... you better pick that one up soon. It's amazing.

Toaster
11-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Woah.. what am I thinking of then?

Toaster
11-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Sorry. I'm thinking of Still Day Beneath the Sun. I have never heard that song either, though? I downloaded the album off my friend. Heh, always wondered why it only had 4 tracks.

*collapses with embarassment*

Darkness
11-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Sorry. I'm thinking of Still Day Beneath the Sun. I have never heard that song either, though? I downloaded the album off my friend. Heh, always wondered why it only had 4 tracks.

*collapses with embarassment*
I'd be happy to send you both of those songs, if you wish.

Toaster
11-05-2005, 07:33 PM
I'd be happy to send you both of those songs, if you wish.

Would you? bananaman__@hotmail.com

Whenever you can. Thanks very much.

Darkness
11-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Sent.

Special Brew
11-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah. I don't particularly like anime or anything, but I love this avatar.

Det_Nosnip
11-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Leper Affinity was what did it for me, as well...although that mostly was simply due to the fact that it was the first song on Blackwater Park (I tend to listen to music as albums, not songs). When that acoustic break, I was like "Ok....now this is interesting." Not to say that the rest of the song wasn't, but the contrast and dynamics of it....you get what I'm saying. :p

lost_profits
11-05-2005, 10:52 PM
det,
the Leper Affinity has what I believe is Martin Mendez' finest moment. about 9 minutes into it this funky (not Chili Peppers funky) bass lick comes in. It's a real standout.

BlindWriting
11-05-2005, 11:04 PM
The Funeral Portrait was the song that got me into Opeth. I really had to keep listening before I started to love the death vocals, as it was the first death metal band that I ever really liked. But upon the first few listens, I just loved the instrumentation, between that omenous opening guitar line, and that absolutely rockin' opening riff about thirty seconds in, and the insane drumming.

Toaster
11-05-2005, 11:06 PM
The Funeral Portrait was the song that got me into Opeth. I really had to keep listening before I started to love the death vocals, as it was the first death metal band that I ever really liked. But upon the first few listens, I just loved the instrumentation, between that omenous opening guitar line, and that absolutely rockin' opening riff about thirty seconds in, and the insane drumming.

Yeah, the groovy opening riff combined with all the growling makes for such a cool atmosphere. I love that song.

Special Brew
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I got into them with "Harvest". I when I heard that, I assumed they were an dark-sounding acoustic group and then checked out "The Funeral Portrait" because it was the most popular song on Limewire, it had a cool name, and it was on the same album. I got a huge surprise, but I was blown away.

However, I couldn't really get into the rest of their heavy stuff because it seemed too dull to me. I was more into the flashy riffs of the gothenburg and metalcore styles, which is one reason TFP appealed to me so much. I slowly started listening to them more and more, and now they have been my favorite band for quite awhile.

Werny
11-05-2005, 11:51 PM
I thought Deliverance sounded like a good album, so I downloaded a few songs, and they had no appeal to me. But there was that one song, Masters Apprentices, that had catchy vocals at the beginning (there's a rain falling only on me) and I liked the riff, so I kept listening... and when the clean vocals came in... WOW. I ended up deleting them after a while, they just put me in a crappy mood with their bleakness, but then a few months ago I downloaded them again and fell in love.

Strangely enough I haven't yet got around to getting Deliverance, I have Blackwater Park (which is ok), Still Life (average), Damnation (once again, average) and GHOST REVERIES which is honestly one of the greatest albums ever, if not THE.

Special Brew
11-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Still Life (average), Damnation (once again, average)
:mad:

/slaps you

Spinal Pap
11-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I got into them with "Harvest". I when I heard that, I assumed they were an dark-sounding acoustic group and then checked out "The Funeral Portrait" because it was the most popular song on Limewire, it had a cool name, and it was on the same album. I got a huge surprise, but I was blown away.

I got into Opeth about the same way. I had heard they were a great band so I downloaded a couple of their softer acoustic songs (namely Harvest and SDBTS) and absolutely loved them. I got Reverie/Harlequin Forest next and was a little freaked out when I heard the growls for the first time. I really liked the clean vocals in that song though so I kept on listening to it, and eventually the growls grew on me. Opeth has been one of my favorite bands for a while now even though I don't even have one of their cds yet, just tons of downloaded songs.

PIGS(1 different one)
11-06-2005, 12:49 AM
The first song by Opeth that I heard was Circle of the Tyrants, the song that got me into the band was advent and to bid you farwell...

i am the robots
11-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Haha, my Opeth experience > your Opeth experience.

I was at FYE with my friends around the time that Welcome by Taproot came out. I got that, and I saw Morningrise by Opeth, it had cool album art, I was like, eh I feel like buying something on random, and HOLY HELL, it was amazing.

Spinal Pap
11-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Can't say I've ever just spontaneously bought an album because of the cover art :).

What is FYE btw?

i am the robots
11-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Can't say I've ever just spontaneously bought an album because of the cover art :).

What is FYE btw?

I've done it every now and then, cases: Adema - Insomniac's Dream, POD - The Fundemental Elements of South Town, Opeth - Morningrise, Grey Daze- ...No Sun Today (RAREST CD I OWN).

Crysiss
11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
FYE as in a song or term?

Kage
11-06-2005, 01:26 AM
FYE is a chain of CD stores.

Special Brew
11-06-2005, 01:28 AM
The first song by Opeth that I heard was Circle of the Tyrants, the song that got me into the band was advent and to bid you farwell...
Your avatar is awesome! :eek:

FYE as in a song or term?
It's a store that sells CDs and other random media items.

Spinal Pap
11-06-2005, 01:35 AM
It's a store that sells CDs and other random media items.

Oh ok thanks man.

Flynn
11-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Haha, my Opeth experience > your Opeth experience.

I was at FYE with my friends around the time that Welcome by Taproot came out. I got that, and I saw Morningrise by Opeth, it had cool album art, I was like, eh I feel like buying something on random, and HOLY HELL, it was amazing.

That's an awesome experience indeed, especially if you've never heard of them when you bought that record. I'm amazed that FYE had that record there. :amaze: The store in my town has zero Opeth records, not to mention it's 95% RAP in that ungodly place. That's close to how I discovered Machine Head a while back though. I think it was around 1996, I bought Burn My Eyes on a hunch because the song titles sounded cool and yea, I ended up buying all of their records. Random is good sometimes. :D

dUSK
11-06-2005, 11:05 AM
The store in my town has zero Opeth records, not to mention it's 95% RAP in that ungodly place

Sounds like my home town. I spent 10 months trying to get the CD store there to order albums in for me, but they claimed they couldn't find them. Then I moved and bought Still Life, Deliverence and Blackwater Park within a week. :D

Flynn
11-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Sounds like my home town. I spent 10 months trying to get the CD store there to order albums in for me, but they claimed they couldn't find them. Then I moved and bought Still Life, Deliverence and Blackwater Park within a week. :D

Yeah same here, the people at FYE in my town are braindead. I now do all my business online. I just ordered Focus by Cynic a few minutes ago. If I went into FYE and asked them if they had it, they'd pry laugh or say ''who?''.

the2stranger
11-06-2005, 11:32 AM
on one hand it's really cool to go to a cd store and ask a dude on the metal departemtn: do you have ..... and....... and ........
and he'll be like: :confused:

but on the other hand it sucks cause they don't have the stuff, and most won't order it as well :(

GenuineImitation
11-06-2005, 11:36 AM

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. I couldn't even find a metallica or black sabbath cd in my old local cd store. When I mentioned Opeth or Children of Bodom, I got a looked at like I had 2 heads. After I moved, I was able to find all these metal albums.

dUSK
11-06-2005, 11:36 AM
There are a couple of really awesome stores where I live now, where I can actually go in and rattle off a few names to the guys working there, and have them actually be able to discuss the band. It's awesome. Now if only they'd give me a job...

Flynn
11-06-2005, 11:52 AM
There are a couple of really awesome stores where I live now, where I can actually go in and rattle off a few names to the guys working there, and have them actually be able to discuss the band. It's awesome. Now if only they'd give me a job...

:lol:

Spinal Pap
11-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I've got a couple of great cd stores near me, and one used book/cd/movie store where I get most of my cds for less then 5$. It takes forever to find anything though, because everthing's just crammed onto shelves, and very poorly alphabetized. They have tons of classic rock and country, but no Opeth. :angry:

Stormrider
11-06-2005, 02:27 PM
on one hand it's really cool to go to a cd store and ask a dude on the metal departemtn: do you have ..... and....... and ........
and he'll be like: :confused:

but on the other hand it sucks cause they don't have the stuff, and most won't order it as well :(

I love stores when the ppl who work there know everything and everyband and as soon as you ask themn something, theyll bring you straight to it or tell you otherwise that they dont have any.

I have a funny story bout this but with shirts.

We were in the this store where the guy knew every band , even the underground death metal ones. He seriously knew everything. So then my dad asks him where the Deep purple shirts are...and hes like , Whos deep purple ?

That waas pretty funny...but the guy was a nice guy and was ok with us...

sry..this has nothign to do with Opeth.

Darkness
11-06-2005, 02:29 PM

We were in the this store where the guy knew every band , even the underground death metal ones. He seriously knew everything. So then my dad asks him where the Deep purple shirts are...and hes like , Whos deep purple ?

:lol: Thats awesome..

JamJar
11-06-2005, 03:01 PM
I got ghost reveries yesterday, so far its's ok; Beneath the Mire, Ghost Of Perdition and Isolation Years are my favourites at the moment. But honestly, Atonement; I just don't get that song, it reminds me of Ambuletz by The Mars Volta for some reason :confused:

Flynn
11-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I love stores when the ppl who work there know everything and everyband and as soon as you ask themn something, theyll bring you straight to it or tell you otherwise that they dont have any.

sry..this has nothing to do with Opeth.

haha it's still funny though. I used to order my CD's from a store here in town called Musicland, later bought out by FYE. And everytime my CD came in, and I went to get it, the kid over the counter would always have some ignorant remark about the CD I ordered. For example, when Orchid came in, I went to pick it up and he looked at the cover and laughed ''that's creative, a daisy on the cover...these guys sound like crap by the way.'' I just smiled as I pulled the 20 out of my wallet and replied ''It's an Orchid, hence the album title.'' Got my CD and left. It didn't bother me, he was wearing a dirty blink 182 t-shirt.

Stormrider
11-06-2005, 03:19 PM
haha it's still funny though. I used to order my CD's from a store here in town called Musicland, later bought out by FYE. And everytime my CD came in, and I went to get it, the kid over the counter would always have some ignorant remark about the CD I ordered. For example, when Orchid came in, I went to pick it up and he looked at the cover and laughed ''that's creative, a daisy on the cover...these guys sound like crap by the way.'' I just smiled as I pulled the 20 out of my wallet and replied ''It's an Orchid, hence the album title.'' Got my CD and left. It didn't bother me, he was wearing a dirty blink 182 t-shirt.

I cant wait to get my copy of Orchid. Havnt seen it anywhere yet though.

Six Foot Revolver
11-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Beneath the Mire
That song is so awesome, probably my favourite on the album.

NP: Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

Stormrider
11-06-2005, 03:25 PM

what does NP mean ?

Six Foot Revolver
11-06-2005, 03:26 PM
what does NP mean ?
Now playing.

Darkness
11-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Now Playing.

Toaster
11-06-2005, 03:29 PM

Wow, what an ass. I hate it when the guys at cd stores pick up something that looks like what I asked for, but isn't and then expect me to buy it. For example, at HMV I asked if they had Opeth's Ghost Reveries, and the guy goes over to the rack, comes back with Otep, and scans it into the computer or whatever. So when I say it's not the right album, he puts up this huge fuss, gets the manager to fix the machine, it must have been 15 minutes.

Stormrider
11-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh ok thanks.

i am the robots
11-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Wow, what an ass. I hate it when the guys at cd stores pick up something that looks like what I asked for, but isn't and then expect me to buy it. For example, at HMV I asked if they had Opeth's Ghost Reveries, and the guy goes over to the rack, comes back with Otep, and scans it into the computer or whatever. So when I say it's not the right album, he puts up this huge fuss, gets the manager to fix the machine, it must have been 15 minutes.

Oh idiocy, how I love thee.

NP: Quo Vadis - Absolution

Flynn
11-06-2005, 03:40 PM

What an idiot. You even said Ghost Reveries and he still brings you an Otep CD? He should be jobless.

Stormrider
11-06-2005, 03:50 PM
What an idiot. You even said Ghost Reveries and he still brings you an Otep CD? He should be jobless.

Probably didnt want to look stupid. But it didnt really work.

Jude
11-06-2005, 04:37 PM
That song is so awesome, probably my favourite on the album.

Ehh, BTM is my least favorite on GR...well, the second part of Hours of Wealth (after the instrumental intro) would be lower than it.

NP: demo version of Trains

ok lateralus
11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Anyone else get a strong urge to introduce everyone they meet to Opeth? I just want to share their greatness.

i am the robots
11-06-2005, 05:23 PM

lifeless*

Shadows
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I would've killed him. Fucker. Nobody stands between a man and his Opeth.

ok lateralus
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I would've killed him. Fucker. Nobody stands between a man and his Opeth.
Well said, my friend.

Stormrider
11-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Anyone else get a strong urge to introduce everyone they meet to Opeth? I just want to share their greatness.

Yea sharing bands is great and all but then i get angry when the person starts to love the band. I dunno why.

Jude
11-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but Porcupine Tree.

Flynn
11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
lifeless*

:lol: yeah that too

Shadows
11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Hey Flynn, did you once post in a thread telling people about Fragments of Unbecoming?

FlyingPaul_83
11-06-2005, 09:18 PM
How many songs are on My arms, your hearse?

Because I have 2 un-named tracks

The Cynic
11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
How many songs are on My arms, your hearse?

Because I have 2 un-named tracks

9. But you must have the version with the 2 bonus tracks. 1 is ofCeltic Frost's Circle Of The Tyrant and the other is Iron Maiden's Remember Tommorrow. It's awesome with the bonus tracks.

FlyingPaul_83
11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
9. But you must have the version with the 2 bonus tracks. 1 is ofCeltic Frost's Circle Of The Tyrant and the other is Iron Maiden's Remember Tommorrow. It's awesome with the bonus tracks.

awesome, thanks man.

I'm loving the album by the way.

Does anyone have a good picture of the morningrise album cover? I googled it and all the pictures are really small.

Flynn
11-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey Flynn, did you once post in a thread telling people about Fragments of Unbecoming?

Yes. I made a few threads about them. Why what's up?

Kage
11-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Crap...isn't that the band you told me to check out a few weeks ago? I've had some of their songs sitting around on my computer unlistened for a little while.

/listens

Shadows
11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Yes. I made a few threads about them. Why what's up?
I'm just wondering. I finally found Skywards a few days ago and I can't stop listening to it. Great stuff. I thought I remembered someone putting me onto them but I wasn't sure.

Darkness
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Crap...isn't that the band you told me to check out a few weeks ago? I've had some of their songs sitting around on my computer unlistened for a little while.

/listens
Didn't he say something about 20 bucks?

lost_profits
11-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I have the My Arms Your Hearse with the bonus tracks. And I have to say it kills the flow for me. Which leads me to my next question, which Opeth album flows as one?

Yes Still Life is a concept album but I can't distinguish where Moonlapse ends and Serenity Painted Death begins. However with MAYH, I can link pretty much every song beginning to end.

Kage
11-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Didn't he say something about 20 bucks?
Yeah. He said he'd pay 20 bucks if we didn't like it.

Flynn
11-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm just wondering. I finally found Skywards a few days ago and I can't stop listening to it. Great stuff. I thought I remembered someone putting me onto them but I wasn't sure.

Yeah it's a good record. :) I listen to it almost every day. I can't wait for Sterling Black Icon.

Yeah. He said he'd pay 20 bucks if we didn't like it.

There's no ''we'' It was one person, you were not involved. And you know it's a good album.

Kage
11-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Huh? What are you talking about, you said that to me.

Flynn
11-06-2005, 10:01 PM
So did you buy the CD?

Kage
11-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah.

Flynn
11-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah.

Cool. So you want your money? Even though I know you like the album.

Shadows
11-06-2005, 10:07 PM

..can I have $20 too?

Det_Nosnip
11-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I got ghost reveries yesterday, so far its's ok; Beneath the Mire, Ghost Of Perdition and Isolation Years are my favourites at the moment. But honestly, Atonement; I just don't get that song, it reminds me of Ambuletz by The Mars Volta for some reason :confused:

It's an experiment. The song really reminds me of the classic 60's era psychadelia. I'm really glad that Opeth decided to try something new rather than rehashing any "formulas" like many bands tend to do...the fact that they're always trying new ideas is what keeps them great.

Det_Nosnip
11-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I have the My Arms Your Hearse with the bonus tracks. And I have to say it kills the flow for me. Which leads me to my next question, which Opeth album flows as one?

Yes Still Life is a concept album but I can't distinguish where Moonlapse ends and Serenity Painted Death begins.

Wouldn't that be a sign that the album flows very well? Anyways, Still Life and Blackwater Park flow the best IMO.

relliK
11-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Atonement really grew on me.That guitar riff is just sexy.

Kage
11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
It's an experiment. The song really reminds me of the classic 60's era psychadelia. I'm really glad that Opeth decided to try something new rather than rehashing any "formulas" like many bands tend to do...the fact that they're always trying new ideas is what keeps them great.
Agreed. I, personally, like that "side" of the album, so to speak. Ghost Reveries is a great album.

Jude
11-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Yes Still Life is a concept album but I can't distinguish where Moonlapse ends and Serenity Painted Death begins.
You can't distinguish the entire song 'Face of Melinda?'

=-fukifiknow-=
11-07-2005, 01:34 AM
hey flynn whos that in your avatar?

ArcLite
11-07-2005, 01:43 AM
hey flynn whos that in your avatar?

It's Chuck Schuldiner.

ATC
11-07-2005, 03:24 AM

Atonement is definitely my favorite track off GR. It stands alone on that album though. Its the direction I hope Opeth will take on their next.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Wouldn't that be a sign that the album flows very well? Anyways, Still Life and Blackwater Park flow the best IMO.

I also have the MAYH edition with the extra tracks. I just stop the album when its done, so as not to spoil the flow.

As for flow, MAYH was meant to flow. The last word in every song is the name of the next song, plus, some songs flow into each other, like one song.

And I also agree with Jude. How the hell can you miss Face of Melinda? Its a stunning track!:confused:

lost_profits
11-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Yes I thought Moonlapse was before Serenity (hit me!)
But basically, Still Life, at some points suffers from a lack of identity in the songs. On MAYH, the ending of April Ethereal (the off key heavy riff) leading into the flanged acoustic intro of "When" is a perfect example of how to merge two songs together. That and the fact I listen to it far too much. But Still Life, with it's magnificent concept doesn't stay as cohesive. I've listened intently to Still Life, but some parts you could swap around and I wouldn't even notice. *Hoping this album will grow on me*

Deth
11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Not MAYH? I think that flows perfectly.

Dannyboy15
11-07-2005, 09:15 AM

I've shown a bunch of my friends. Most don't like them because they all have A.D.D.

Cliff Em All
11-07-2005, 03:21 PM
I've shown a bunch of my friends. Most don't like them because they all have A.D.D.

4 friends hooked and running. One even tried to steal my Opeth sweatshirt

<---post #

Kage
11-07-2005, 03:34 PM
The one criticism when I show people music that I cannot stand is "it takes too long to get to the good part."

:angry:

JamJar
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Agreed, some people just really don't have the atention span. It's like I showed Push it by Tool to one of my friends and he turned it away before it even had a chance to get to the awsome dramatic climax. Fools.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Agreed, some people just really don't have the atention span. It's like I showed Push it by Tool to one of my friends and he turned it away before it even had a chance to get to the awsome dramatic climax. Fools.

Yeah, the same happens to me. And it sucks too. How are you supposed to describe the final part of push it to someone if you can't play it to him. Fast-Food Society!:p

Anyway, listening to Blackwater park (song).

Oh.My.God.

Its so amazing. The ending is the best. Of any song!:D

JamJar
11-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Anyway, listening to Blackwater park (song).

Oh.My.God.

Its so amazing. The ending is the best. Of any song!:D

No, Demon Of The Fall has a better ending :p

And The Amen Corner has the best intro ever :)

The Flabbit Rides High
11-07-2005, 04:11 PM
No, Demon Of The Fall has a better ending :p

And The Amen Corner has the best intro ever :)

You might be right.

hehe, They all are the best.:p

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Thats anoying. I hate it when ppl put a time span to a song. For example, if the song is longer then 5 minutes theyll get anoyed of it.

Anyways...( I figured i didnt have to put this in the recommendations thread)

Can anyone recomend me any good songs from the older Opeth ? Like, from there first 2 or 3 albums.

Killtacular
11-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Can anyone recomend me any good songs from the older Opeth ? Like, from there first 2 or 3 albums.

In the Midst She Was Standing
Advent
To Bid You Farewell
The Twilight is My Robe

Enjoy!!
:thumb:

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
In the Midst She Was Standing
Advent
To Bid You Farewell
The Twilight is My Robe

Enjoy!!
:thumb:

Thanks, Ill check out Advent and In The Midst She Was Standing cuz i got the other 2. Which of them besides The twilight Is My Robe are in Orchid ?

Toaster
11-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Thats anoying. I hate it when ppl put a time span to a song. For example, if the song is longer then 5 minutes theyll get anoyed of it.

Anyways...( I figured i didnt have to put this in the recommendations thread)

Wow, I know exactly what you mean. My drummer won't listen to Opeth because it doesn't give him a goddamn orgasm ten seconds into the song. He automatically assumes that any song over 5 minutes is boring. It's really irritating, because the only band's he'll listen to are bands who write linear, simplistic music (and this translates into him hating any progressive material I write).

So anyways, I'm firing him. :)

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Wow, I know exactly what you mean. My drummer won't listen to Opeth because it doesn't give him a goddamn orgasm ten seconds into the song. He automatically assumes that any song over 5 minutes is boring. It's really irritating, because the only band's he'll listen to are bands who write linear, simplistic music (and this translates into him hating any progressive material I write).

I was wondering how you can make a band with somone who doesnt like anything over 5 minutes when you listen to Opeth, but i hadnt read the im firing him part yet...
Oh well, hes missing out on something realy good.

Toaster
11-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I was wondering how you can make a band with somone who doesnt like anything over 5 minutes when you listen to Opeth, but i hadnt read the im firing him part yet...
Oh well, hes missing out on something realy good.

It sucks, because he's phenomenal.. and he's loaded($), to boot. It's going to be a tough letdown. Can I get some opinions on this? As to whether or not to fire him?

Spinal Pap
11-07-2005, 05:42 PM

:lol: Sounds like you need to.

It's hard to put to much blame on people like that though. If they've grown up listening to shorter standard pop songs(verse,chorus,verse,chorus,and so on) than it's hard to make the transition to longer prog songs. I remember when I first got into Pink Floyd I found it hard to stay with the music on songs like Echoes and Interstellar Overdrive because I was used to shorter songs. It just takes a while to get used to.

It sucks, because he's phenomenal.. and he's loaded($), to boot. It's going to be a tough letdown. Can I get some opinions on this? As to whether or not to fire him?

I would just talk to him about it. Maybe ask him to be a little more open minded.

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I didnt meen to be offensive in my post... sorry it sounded kind of harsh.

Kage
11-07-2005, 05:45 PM
If he's such a good drummer and has so much money, I'd wait on the firing. On the side, be looking for a new drummer that can fill his place, so when you fire him you'll have a back up. But I'd keep him around a little while longer, and maybe ease him into your style a little more.

Toaster
11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I didnt meen to be offensive in my post... sorry it sounded kind of harsh.

Not at all.

He's sort of an idiot, too. Really insensitive to band issues and such.

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Not at all.

He's sort of an idiot, too. Really insensitive to band issues and such.

Well then, he might be good and all, but if you cant stand him...

Killtacular
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Ill check out Advent and In The Midst She Was Standing cuz i got the other 2. Which of them besides The twilight Is My Robe are in Orchid ?
In the Midst She Was Standing is only other one out of those four from Orchid.

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 06:02 PM

Oh ok. Damn im shameful of how much Opeth i know. I desperatly need to get my copy of Orchid soon.

Im making a cd right now dedicated to Opeth. :thumb:
Only Opeth on it except for 2 songs.

Killtacular
11-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Im making a cd right now dedicated to Opeth. :thumb:
Only Opeth on it except for 2 songs.

That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
What other two songs soil ( )peth's Disc?

Stormrider
11-07-2005, 06:19 PM
That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
What other two songs soil ( )peth's Disc?

In the meen time im waiting to get an Opeth cd, i want somthing so i could listen to it, thats the only reason im making one but anyways, i just put And then there was silence by Blind Guardian and Birth of the wicked by Iced Earth.

Shadows
11-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm completely hooked on Damntion right now. :(

/me learns Windowpane

Flynn
11-07-2005, 08:08 PM

The entire album is great.

Kage
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Flynn, I didn't much like Fragments of Unbecoming honestly. I don't want your money, though. :p

Deconstruction
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I am considering going to an opeth and nevermore show...but its kinda far away and cant get a ride...(can drive)

Killtacular
11-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I am considering going to an opeth and nevermore show...but its kinda far away and cant get a ride...(can drive)
There is no considering.
You go and like it, Mister.

Deth
11-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah, what he said!

Well, my friend was able to get on the guest list for the show Friday, but no one else was. So that means no backstage romping for me :(.

Shadows
11-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Flynn, I didn't much like Fragments of Unbecoming honestly. I don't want your money, though. :p
:mad: Just for that, I think you owe him money.

ok lateralus
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
The entire album is great.

This is true.

Though I do like Morningrise about five times more. Orchid is still awesome... it has just an amazing atmosphere if you know what I mean... Compare it to Ghost Reveries and it's strange, GR isn't really that atmospheric or special when put next to an album like Orchid.

Det_Nosnip
11-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Not MAYH? I think that flows perfectly.

It does; however, IMO Blackwater Park flows the best, although ironically it is NOT a concept album, per se. I guess it's more of an emotional thing...I just feel like the emotions evoked and imagery blend together very well. The album is very much tied with the seasons for me, particularly autumn...I kinda feel like it, as an album, represents the change from fall into winter, although I guess you COULD say it's kinda ironic that the Lepar Affinity opens with "WE ENTER WINTER ONCE AGAIN..." :lol:

Lyrically, there is alot of that kind of imagery..."Falling to the ground below, like autumn leaves left in the wake to fade," and the very title - "Harvest," but musically it's very autumn as well. There's alot of warm tones, oranges and browns and whatnot, and that's always where it takes me, personally. The album gets steadily colder as it progresses. if that makes any sense...and then I guess you could say that Blackwater Park would be the Winter Sulstice. :p

Maybe I'm reading into this too much...I dunno. The album rules.

Werny
11-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Blackwater Park always give off a feeling of being inside a lush, emerald green forest. Then again, most albums make me feel like I'm in some kind of forest... don't know why. Still Life is like being in the woods.

One of the reasons I was disappointed with Blackwater Park (gosh, it grew though) was because I LOVE Atonement to death with its Middle Eastern sounding riff and mellotron. So when, in the little Roadrunner booklet it said "ranging from jazz melodies on Orchid to Middle Eastern influences on Blackwater Park", I was really excited. Maybe it's just me, but I can't hear even a hint of eastern influence in any of the songs, it sounds more british to me. I was PISSED.

Deth
11-08-2005, 06:54 AM
It does; however, IMO Blackwater Park flows the best, although ironically it is NOT a concept album, per se. I guess it's more of an emotional thing...I just feel like the emotions evoked and imagery blend together very well. The album is very much tied with the seasons for me, particularly autumn...I kinda feel like it, as an album, represents the change from fall into winter, although I guess you COULD say it's kinda ironic that the Lepar Affinity opens with "WE ENTER WINTER ONCE AGAIN..." :lol:

Lyrically, there is alot of that kind of imagery..."Falling to the ground below, like autumn leaves left in the wake to fade," and the very title - "Harvest," but musically it's very autumn as well. There's alot of warm tones, oranges and browns and whatnot, and that's always where it takes me, personally. The album gets steadily colder as it progresses. if that makes any sense...and then I guess you could say that Blackwater Park would be the Winter Sulstice. :p

Maybe I'm reading into this too much...I dunno. The album rules.
I certainly agree with your Autumn analogy. I usually associate albums with colors (for some reason) and BWP does evoke autumny tones.

Morningrise to me sounds like the dead of Winter and Deliverance the steamy summer.

ArcLite
11-08-2005, 09:50 AM
...I can't hear even a hint of eastern influence in any of the songs...

The album as a whole, no. However, you can't seriously tell me that you don't hear any Middle Eastern melody in the first few minutes of Bleak.

RouteOne
11-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Blackwater Park always give off a feeling of being inside a lush, emerald green forest. Then again, most albums make me feel like I'm in some kind of forest... don't know why. Still Life is like being in the woods.

One of the reasons I was disappointed with Blackwater Park (gosh, it grew though) was because I LOVE Atonement to death with its Middle Eastern sounding riff and mellotron. So when, in the little Roadrunner booklet it said "ranging from jazz melodies on Orchid to Middle Eastern influences on Blackwater Park", I was really excited. Maybe it's just me, but I can't hear even a hint of eastern influence in any of the songs, it sounds more british to me. I was PISSED.

Orchid and Morningrise always give me the feeling of being in a forest.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I certainly agree with your Autumn analogy. I usually associate albums with colors (for some reason) and BWP does evoke autumny tones.

Morningrise to me sounds like the dead of Winter and Deliverance the steamy summer.

That is very very true. I agree fully.:)

the2stranger
11-08-2005, 12:21 PM
for me:

Opeth = nature

:)

JamJar
11-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Can someone reccomend me some really fun Opeth songs to play on guitar.

Stormrider
11-08-2005, 02:51 PM

I havnt learned a whole lot of the song but, Demon of the Fall is pretty fun to play.

Deconstruction
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
There is no considering.
You go and like it, Mister.
I might..I am undecided and I dont have a ride as of now. Review if I go.

JamJar
11-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I havnt learned a whole lot of the song but, Demon of the Fall is pretty fun to play.

Heh

I was pensing over whether to say apart from demon of the fall in my post as i can already play that. Why didnt I? Lol

Cardboard Headgear
11-08-2005, 03:29 PM
The last riff in Moonlapse Vertigo.

Six Foot Revolver
11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
for me:

Opeth = nature

:)
Definately, if I was ever going to say a band sounded like nature it would be Opeth.

Toaster
11-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Definately, if I was ever going to say a band sounded like nature it would be Opeth.

Hah, mainly because all his lyrics have to do with either the seasons or the weather.

JK, I really do agree.

matt4
11-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Opeth concert in 3 hours, bitches!!! I'll let you all know how hard it rocks! :thumb:

Poofy 666
11-08-2005, 06:01 PM
lucky bastard....

o well im goin to CoB and Amon Amarth on Sunday

**** YEAH!!!!

love the solo in The Grand Conjuration

Flynn
11-08-2005, 06:11 PM

I like playing In Mist She Was Standing a lot. I made 5 pattern-sounds on my pedal just for this song.

BlindWriting
11-08-2005, 06:18 PM

Bleak is extremely Middle Eastern influenced, and the opening (twelve-string?) guitar line in The Funeral Portrait also sounds kind of Eastern-ish.

Spinal Pap
11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Hah, mainly because all his lyrics have to do with either the seasons or the weather.

Thats true, but the abundance of acoustic work in most of there songs reminds me of nature. That's probably the thing I like best about Opeth, even in most of their heavier songs there are some gentle and peaceful sections.

Edit: Dang I'm such a slow poster. By the time I reply to something, everyone's already talking about something else.

Flynn
11-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Thats true, but the abundance of acoustic work in most of there songs reminds me of nature. That's probably the thing I like best about Opeth, even in most of their heavier songs there are some gentle and peaceful sections.

When I first heard their music, and read along, I figured they were Druids. Always talking about the moon, especially their band name which basically means City Of The Moon. It's pretty cool. I love Opeth and am glad so many other people do as well.:)

Stormrider
11-08-2005, 07:28 PM

Yeah the acoustics are something that i enjoy and love alot about Opeth.

So i just heard the song A Fair Judgement and...Wow ! Its just so awsome. I love it all the way through.

Any opinions on the song from you guys ?

Deth
11-08-2005, 07:36 PM
When I first heard their music, and read along, I figured they were Druids. Always talking about the moon, especially their band name which basically means City Of The Moon. It's pretty cool. I love Opeth and am glad so many other people do as well.:)
I'm pretty sure that every song ever written about the moon has been awesome.

Darkness
11-08-2005, 07:37 PM

So i just heard the song A Fair Judgement and...Wow ! Its just so awsome. I love it all the way through.

Sweet tune, I love every part of it, the guitar solos, the piano intro, the mind blowly heavy outro... great song.

It's also a nice relief after hearing the ear bleeding Wreath and the metal titan that is Deliverance... at least, untill the heavy ending. :thumb:

Deth
11-08-2005, 07:41 PM
I always love how the soft song comes usually one the third or fourth track. It never feels like a letdown, it's just a breather for the next track.

Cliff Em All
11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Damn i wish you guys went to my school! All my friends talk about is how they got kicked in the face at the hardcore show last night...goddamn scene kids, they just dont comprehend this type of music.

Cliff Em All
11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Damn i wish you guys went to my school! All my friends talk about is how they got kicked in the face at the hardcore show last night...goddamn scene kids, they just dont comprehend this type of music.

Det_Nosnip
11-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I think it'd be rather sad if I went to your school, actually...being that I'm 22. :lol:

Deth
11-08-2005, 08:49 PM
That made me laugh.

Toaster
11-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Pretty boring song to me. I really hate his lyrics for that song, too. It's like he just rhymed anything that came to his head. "Fading sun/What have I done?" Just seems really all over the place.

The chorus is quite well done, though. The interlude is nice, too, but overall it drags on too much.

i am the robots
11-08-2005, 09:27 PM
i lvoe that song.

Stormrider
11-08-2005, 09:51 PM

I feel shameful for making a mistake like this but I meant the song In the Midst She was Standing. Sry , I had A fair judgment in my head, although it is pretty good, but i meant In the Midst She was Standing.

ok lateralus
11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I feel shameful for making a mistake like this but I meant the song In the Midst She was Standing. Sry , I had A fair judgment in my head, although it is pretty good, but i meant In the Midst She was Standing.
Hah, well both are amazing anyway

Toaster
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Isn't it "In The Mist She Was Standing"? I'm pretty sure, could be wrong.

ok lateralus
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Isn't it "In The Mist She Was Standing"? I'm pretty sure, could be wrong.
Youre correct

Spinal Pap
11-08-2005, 10:07 PM
What does everyone think of The Baying of the Hounds? I've noticed that Opeth opens with this at a lot of gigs. I think it's alright. The opening riff is kind of annoying and doesn't really feel like Opeth to me. I also don't like the the first couple of lines about the hounds devouring. I do a lot of huntin with dogs so it comes off as kinda cheesy to me. Basically I like everything except the beginning. Good song overall.

Kage
11-08-2005, 10:08 PM
I love every song from Ghost Reveries, so naturally I like Baying of the Hounds. That song was so good live. It was a really good opening song in my opinion.

ATC
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
I thought Baying was the least interesting song off GR. I mean, it worked live. All of us got into it, but to be fair, I didnt even know what song it was or liked it on its own merits. They didn't play Atonement like I told them. :( Martin smiled when I mentioned it.

ok lateralus
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Baying of the Hounds is awesome. Ghost Reveries isn't perfect, though- Reverie/Harlequin Forest is the ****tiest excuse for an Opeth song I've ever heard. Basically everything else is great, though even if it's not up to standards of, say, Deliverance.

Hells Bells
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Orchid and Morningrise always give me the feeling of being in a forest.

The image I get from Blackwater Park is like that. I feel like I'm seeing moonlit mist rising off the forest floor, especially with their slower, more eerie sounding passages.

BlindWriting
11-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I love The Baying of the Hounds, especially that quiet, eerie acoustic part. Great song. I still think that all of Ghost Reveries is insanely good, it never feels tired, or repetitive.

Since you mentioned the lyrics, I have to say that the seemingly thematically-based lyrics ("An Observation by Opeth" :cool:) in GR are so atmospheric. They constantly feel like they're about something, but remain intensely subtle, always adding to the atmosphere of the entire sound. Pure poetry.

Spinal Pap
11-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Baying of the Hounds is awesome. Ghost Reveries isn't perfect, though- Reverie/Harlequin Forest is the ****tiest excuse for an Opeth song I've ever heard. Basically everything else is great, though even if it's not up to standards of, say, Deliverance.

J/W, what do you not like about Reverie/Harlequin Forest? It's probably my favorite song on GR.

ok lateralus
11-08-2005, 10:22 PM
J/W, what do you not like about Reverie/Harlequin Forest? It's probably my favorite song on GR.

I don't know, the whole thing just does nothing at all for me. The lyrics seem contrived and boring, the music is just meh. I don't understand how anyone could compare it to a song like The Moor, or Leper Affinity.

Spinal Pap
11-08-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't know, the whole thing just does nothing at all for me. The lyrics seem contrived and boring, the music is just meh. I don't understand how anyone could compare it to a song like The Moor, or Leper Affinity.

The lyrics aren't all that great IMO, but I love the general flow of it and the vocals, especially in the softer acoustic part. It was also the first song I heard off GR so I've got kind of a soft spot for it.

Since you mentioned the lyrics, I have to say that the seemingly thematically-based lyrics ("An Observation by Opeth" ) in GR are so atmospheric. They constantly feel like they're about something, but remain intensely subtle, always adding to the atmosphere of the entire sound. Pure poetry.

The lyrics are very deep and beautiful in GR. One of the main reasons I like it so much.

Anyway, I'm goin to bed. :)

Kage
11-08-2005, 10:31 PM
The melodies of Harlequin Forest are killer. That's what I like about the song. It's one of my favorites from the record.

Det_Nosnip
11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
I like it alot. "Hounds" is also fantastic...those linear patterns Lopez plays during the acoustic bit = :cool: .

lost_profits
11-09-2005, 12:45 AM
I've already stated my dislike for Harlequin Forest. Baying Of The Hounds, now we're talking!

I'm reading the passage in Fellowship of the rings titled: Lothlorien. And listening to BWP at the same time. Awesome atmosphere

Det_Nosnip
11-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Just watched the Lamentations DVD again for the first time in a while....it made me miss Lopez. :( Martin3 was good, but nowhere near Lopez...sure, he may rush a bit, but he gives the band so much energy and intensity, and his feel is untouchable. I never realized that they played Lepar Affinity like 2x as fast on Lamentations....craziness. :lol:

the2stranger
11-09-2005, 04:40 AM
I think the playing faster stuff might have something to do with Mikeal.
cause I can't imagine him doing all those screams as long as on the album, considering it's a 2,5 hour setlist.

could be wrong though

and yes, I really miss Lopez, his jazzy feel for rhytm is just awesome, and his tom fills always sound so great.
the Bloodbath drummer just seems to play it without emotion if you know what I mean :(

Deth
11-09-2005, 06:47 AM
The melodies of Harlequin Forest are killer. That's what I like about the song. It's one of my favorites from the record.
It's probably my 2nd favorite on the album.

The vocals in Harlequin Forest are some of the best in any Opeth song if you ask me.

Jude
11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
R/HF is good musically, but the lyrics are so embarassingly bad I can't believe it they made it into an Opeth song.

Edit: Interesting story. Last night I had the opening electric riff of Funeral Portrait stuck in my head but I COULD NOT remember what song it was from and it was driving me nuts...I looked up my playlist and saw "Orchidia" by Porcupine Tree...I figured that might be it. I put the song on, grabbed my bass and started playing the riff with that song...and it fit right it with it. Weird. Funeral Portrait just came on, that's why I remembered this.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
It's probably my 2nd favorite on the album.

The vocals in Harlequin Forest are some of the best in any Opeth song if you ask me.

Mine too. I can't really understand why most people dislike this song.

Its long. Its got a contrasting balance between heavy and light parts, it starts with clean vocals, got nice solid riffs, and Mikeal's voice is amazing. The fact that you can actually pick up that the lyrics seem corny or whatever makes me think that you may put too much effort into listening to the song, not for the overall reward, but to find fault.

Just let the music wash over you.:p

Corny Lyrics 101: Coldplay - X&Y

rik
11-09-2005, 01:10 PM
So the only Opeth song I have on my ipod is "deliverance" (someone from this thread sent it to me) and i've been listening to it so much, awesome song, I love it. I've decided on this song alone that I need to get myself at least one album, any recommendations?

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 01:17 PM
So the only Opeth song I have on my ipod is "deliverance" (someone from this thread sent it to me) and i've been listening to it so much, awesome song, I love it. I've decided on this song alone that I need to get myself at least one album, any recommendations?

Well, I would recommend you getting Blackwater Park first I think. Its the fan favourite, and rightly so too. Its the most balanced Opeth about.

Also then, go get Still Life. I woudn't recommend starting with Deliverance because it was intentionally made out to be heavy, and doesn't stand out with great balanced tracks such as the previous albums I mentioned.

So get BWP, then Still Life, and then go for Ghost Reveries if you want. Thats a nice album too.:)

the2stranger
11-09-2005, 01:33 PM
^
indeed
first BWP than Still Life

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 02:23 PM
^
indeed
first BWP than Still Life

I still stand by my argument that BWP is the heaviest album Opeth has released.

Toaster
11-09-2005, 02:26 PM

I agree. Deliverance is really only a two thirds heavy, and most songs (excluding Wreath) are normal Opeth songs, they don't really sound like they were written to be heavier than normal.

Shattered_Future
11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
BWP by far. My favorite Opeth album, and probably their best as well.

From GR, I'm really getting into The Baying Of The Hounds (hah, I thought it was Beneath The Mire at first. :p). I love the clean part with Mikael singing "Beeeneeeath the miiiire" and some other parts. I'm no good with lyrics... :upset:

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I hear what everyone says.... I LOVE BWP, it's the first Opeth I listened to and it simply changed the way I looked at Music....but the Song "Deliverance" is simply put AMAZING!!! Especially the Outro...It blows me away every time.... Master's Apprentices is also Awesome! It's so Powerful! I can Imagine myself standing on a Mountaintop, watching my minions conquer the world while it's playing in the Background....

the2stranger
11-09-2005, 02:40 PM

I think MAYH is heavier actually..

but both are awesome

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 02:42 PM
BWP by far. My favorite Opeth album, and probably their best as well.

From GR, I'm really getting into The Baying Of The Hounds (hah, I thought it was Beneath The Mire at first. :p). I love the clean part with Mikael singing "Beeeneeeath the miiiire" and some other parts. I'm no good with lyrics... :upset:

The Baying of The Hounds is a truly classic Opeth tune. It contains alot of elements of When from MAYH imo. Esspecially the verse. and the breakdown.

GR is a good album, but I still think The Grand Conjuration is a avarage song compared. Just my opinion though.:)

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 02:46 PM
So what's the Best song on Blackwater Park in your opinions?
I'd say The Leper Affinity for me.....Or maybe Blackwater Park

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 02:48 PM
So what's the Best song on Blackwater Park in your opinions?
I'd say The Leper Affinity for me.....Or maybe Blackwater Park

Id say Blackwater Park. Its long, its epic, its got acoustics, its got a mindblowing climax, its a got a stunningly beautiful guitar interlude in the beginning, and a acoustic outro that is just damn good.

I think im in love with that song. It just defines the Opeth caracter to me to well.:)

Shattered_Future
11-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Leper Affinity and Bleak. Both are equally jaw-dropping.

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Id say Blackwater Park. Its long, its epic, its got acoustics, its got a mindblowing climax, its a got a stunninglu beautifull guitar interlude in the beginning, and a acoustic outro that is just damn good.

I think im in love with that song. It just defines the Opeth caracter to me to well.:)

Good Answer! You win the Prize..... You get an invite to Wacken Next year if we go!

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Good Answer! You win the Prize..... You get an invite to Wacken Next year if we go!

Yay! Im packing my bags already!

/serious

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Yay! Im packing my bags already!

/serious

Just remember to pack in enough money for my plane ticket too! :D Thanx!

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 02:55 PM
The thing is , I really like Still Life, but I've been listening to it so much whilst playing Tiger Woods PGA Gholf , that I can't get my mind off the tee & fareway when listeing to it.

It really sucks because that album has alot of atmosphere and story. :upset:

Deth
11-09-2005, 02:56 PM
The thing is , I really like Still Life, but I've been listening to it so much whilst playing Tiger Woods PGA Gholf , that I can't get my mind off the tee & fareway when listeing to it.

:lol: That's a really weird image to have in your head while listening to it.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 02:58 PM
:lol: That's a really weird image to have in your head while listening to it.

Im laughing now, but actually im crying inside because ive ruined it for myself.:upset:

Kinda like my image I had for Steven Wilson, but then you had to ruin it...:upset:

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 02:59 PM

One of the REasons while I LOVE BYP is because of the imagery it conjures up... you really get the idea of this forest and lakes and stagnant water and rotting vegetation.... There aren't many other Albums like that.
One that springs to Mind is DOWN 2... That Album really has a strong atmosphere too!

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Kinda like my image I had for Steven Wilson, but then you had to ruin it...:upset:
:naughty:

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 03:02 PM
One of the REasons while I LOVE BYP is because of the imagery it conjures up... you really get the idea of this forest and lakes and stagnant water and rotting vegetation.... There aren't many other Albums like that.
One that springs to Mind is DOWN 2... That Album really has a strong atmosphere too!

I think Creeping Deth also mentioned that the album tends to give off a hot summer, humid type of atmosphere in BWP.

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I said Autumn for BWP and Summer for Deliverance.

How dare you misquote me!

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I think Creeping Deth also mentioned that the album tends to give off a hot summer, humid type of atmosphere in BWP.

Yeah, I can see that....

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM

But that makes WAAAYYY more sense!:D
That's spot on if you ask me....

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Oh shaat! hehe. Oh well, I guess we can now see that your quote had more than one interpretation.:)

:upset:

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
You're silly. I like that.

2 days till Opeth!

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 03:07 PM
You're silly. I like that.

2 days till Opeth!

Where are you seeing them? Is Martin Lopez back yet? or is Gene still playing?

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
1) Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2) Nope
3) Nope

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
1) Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2) Nope
3) Nope

So they're playing minus a drummer.... That should suck...:naughty:

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
:lol: I would still go.

It's Martin3 who's playing.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Oh yeah, ive heard of him. Does anyone know the latest news on Lopez? Is he gonna pull through?:confused:

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Yeah for sure I'd go!! To see them performing Damnation stuff would be awesome! I'm sure I'd start crying...

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:13 PM
I hope so. He's my favorite drummer of all time.

^To Flabbit

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 03:17 PM
I hope so. He's my favorite drummer of all time.

^To Flabbit

He is really amazing! I think my Favorite drummers are Nick Barker, Mike Portnoy, Mr Lopez, Faust, Gene Hoglan and Dave Lombardo... The stuff that guy did on The Gathering for Testament is inspirational!

Deth
11-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Who does Nick Barker play for?

Son of Northern Darkness
11-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Who does Nick Barker play for?

He recently was ousted from Dimmu Borgir... He is Lightnin Fast!!!

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 03:23 PM
The drummer for Mithras makes me cry with his lightning fast speed.Don't know his name?

rik
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Cheers for the recommendations lads. I've just ordered BWP so it should be here in a couple of days, i'll post my views about it when I get it.

lost_profits
11-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Hello? Demon Of The Fall? The Amen Corner? Deliverance?

The heaviest I've heard Opeth get is the first 20 seconds of "Demon" and towards the end of The Amen Corner
"eerie circles upon the waters"
and then it breaks out into this almost black metallish part.

You could say the production on MAYH plays a big part in those two songs heaviness.

Darkness
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Hello? Demon Of The Fall? The Amen Corner? Deliverance?
He was talking about as an album. But either way, Blackwater Park (song) is the heaviest Opeth has done, IMO.

cos you know that i can
11-09-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd say that, song-wise, the first riff in Master's Apprentice is pretty heavy. That could just be because of the contrast with the previous song, though. Also, later in the song there's that whole acoustic many voices section, as well.

Way to change my opinion toward the end of my post.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 04:33 PM
He was talking about as an album. But either way, Blackwater Park (song) is the heaviest Opeth has done, IMO.

Im with you on this one. That song is darn right freaky towards the end.:eek:

ok lateralus
11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I think it's sort of hard to say which Opeth album is the heaviest. Well, for starters, you can definitely rule out Morningrise (a lot of acoustics, not too heavy), Orchid (not that heavy), and Ghost Reveries (very prog), Still Life (sad and dissonant sounding but also very folky... not their heaviest) and Damnation (duh). So that leaves us with BWP, Deliverance and MAYH. I would rule out BWP, because really it doesn't feel that heavy. And a few of the heavy songs don't even have that much death metal vox. So with that, I would choose MAYH as the heaviest, even though Deliverance is pretty heavy. MAYH just feels the most brutal, and maybe the not-so-clean-cut production lends a hand in that.

The Flabbit Rides High
11-09-2005, 04:54 PM
I think it's sort of hard to say which Opeth album is the heaviest. Well, for starters, you can definitely rule out Morningrise (a lot of acoustics, not too heavy), Orchid (not that heavy), and Ghost Reveries (very prog), Still Life (sad and dissonant sounding but also very folky... not their heaviest) and Damnation (duh). So that leaves us with BWP, Deliverance and MAYH. I would rule out BWP, because really it doesn't feel that heavy. And a few of the heavy songs don't even have that much death metal vox. So with that, I would choose MAYH as the heaviest, even though Deliverance is pretty heavy. MAYH just feels the most brutal, and maybe the not-so-clean-cut production lends a hand in that.

I would say that MAYH has less growling than BWP. Yes, the production isn't as good as BWP, but that e-bow is used very much so in BWP, and not to be found on MAYH.

Not that that is the only thing that creates heavyness, but the songs on MAYH tend to follow the same formula as say Still Life, where as songs such as The Leper Affinity, The Funeral Portrait and Blackwater Park tend to be more agressive with less acoustic/clean vocal melodic parts.

I would say this justifies my answer, but of course other people are going to understand different albums differently. Thats what makes this so much fun.;)

Stormrider
11-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I'd say that, song-wise, the first riff in Master's Apprentice is pretty heavy. That could just be because of the contrast with the previous song, though. Also, later in the song there's that whole acoustic many voices section, as well.

Way to change my opinion toward the end of my post.

Yeah that riff is pretty awsome, especialy when the vocals come in. The whole song is good.

ok lateralus
11-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I would say that MAYH has less growling than BWP. Yes, the production isn't as good as BWP, but that e-bow is used very much so in BWP, and not to be found on MAYH.

Not that that is the only thing that creates heavyness, but the songs on MAYH tend to follow the same formula as say Still Life, where as songs such as The Leper Affinity, The Funeral Portrait and Blackwater Park tend to be more agressive with less acoustic/clean vocal melodic parts.

I would say this justifies my answer, but of course other people are going to understand different albums differently. Thats what makes this so much fun.;)
Hmm... well, BWP may have more huge heavy riffs, but MAYH just feels so much darker and ultimately heavier. Darkness kind of goes hand in hand with heaviness, and Blackwater Park as a whole doesn't come close in terms of darkness to the sorrowful sounds of MAYH.

Darkness
11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I ment that the song Blackwater Park, is heavier then any other Opeth song. Feel free to disagree, this is simply what I believe. It has the crunch in the guitars as well as extremely heavy riffing combined with sinister vocals + lyrics to = a song that can't be compared to in heaviness. :p

Deliverance (song) is pretty heavy, but the guitars have this hollow sound going on, which is cool, but not as crunchy or low sounding as BWP.

And Demon Of The Fall just has heavy vocals, the music, while still heavy sounding, isn't THAT heavy.

JamJar
11-09-2005, 04:58 PM
MAYH has less growling than BWP? :confused:

Most of the vox on MAYH is growling and in most songs it's just growl then the odd clean bit. I have to disagree. In general, the heaviest Opeth album I own is MAYH, i mean, just listen to the first 2 minutes of The Amen Corner *drools*

Stormrider
11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
And Demon Of The Fall just has heavy vocals, the music, while still heavy sounding, isn't THAT heavy.

Yeah i think the vocals in theat song contribute a lot to the heaviness of it.
Though i would say that theres parts in the song which are more darker sounding then heavy musicaly.

That songs has one of my favorite growls by the way.

Kage
11-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Darkness kind of goes hand in hand with heaviness
Nope.

It's hard to say which Opeth album is the heaviest. I think it's either MAYH or Deliverance.

Still Life is becoming my favorite Opeth album.

ok lateralus
11-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Nope.

Really? Name me one album that is extremely ****in heavy yet also bright as a ray of sunshine

Deth
11-09-2005, 05:19 PM
It's hard to say which Opeth album is the heaviest. I think it's either MAYH or Deliverance.

I'd say Deliverance, I mean that was the goal.

Still Life is becoming my favorite Opeth album.

*high fives*

Kage
11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Really? Name me one album that is extremely ****in heavy yet also bright as a ray of sunshine
Maybe that way, but then again, things can be dark without being heavy. In fact, things can be a lot darker without being heavy.

But, still, there's a lot of stuff that's heavy without being particularly dark. Power Metal for example. Or Metallica.

Toaster
11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
I think the opening of The Leper Affinity is the heaviest thing Opeth have ever done. The palm muting, the dissonance, the speed are all something Opeth don't use too much (besides the dissonance), and it suits that song really well. It's coincidentally the first Opeth song I ever heard; :D

Deth
11-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I think the opening to April Ethereal is pretty heavy. And amazingly amazing.

vashts80
11-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I love the end solo of A Fair Judgement, especially on Lamentations (the one that goes from like 6:25 to 7:25 or so)

It makes me orgasm everytime for some reason, heh

Deth
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
On Lamentations it's twice as good. I'm going to listen to that right now just because of that part.