PDA

View Full Version : Forced Listening: R&M

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

superpeer
07-23-2004, 07:57 AM
A lot of you might have heard about this concept, but it's best that everyone of you reads this before participating.

In the forced listening we try to suggest bands and songs to eachother, but in a special way:

Someone posts a song title, then someone will take dibs on it and review the song. That person will then suggest a song, the next person will review it and so on...

Some rules :

1. This is forced listening for Rock and Metal, so try to stick to those genres. Also state the subgenre of the song, so that people know what they can expect.

2. NO ONE suggests songs or reviews songs when someone has dibs on the previous songs, I WILL delete bad posts.

3. If you have dibs on a song, but can't find it, you can revoke by posting so OR after 2 hours, someone else can take your dibs.

4. To avoid problems with rule number 3, try making sure that the song is available on filesharing programs or on a website or even provide it yourself on an Instant Message service.

5. I know a lot of metal songs are very long, but try not to suggest 21 minute epics, unless you know that it is easily and quickly downloadable.

6. Also, I think most people have heard 'Metallica - One', so try to be somewhat original.

7. If you have already heard a song, don't take dibs on it, that's not the purpose of the thread.

8. Reviewing a song is not typing : 'Good song, my song is : ...'
Put some effort in the review, a few lines at least, also try to give a rating out of 10, try typing the review while you listen to it, it's the easiest.

That's it for now, I think.

Have fun !

I'll start off with a song.

My Dying Bride - A sea to suffer in (Doom Metal)

Badmoon
07-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Dibs...the first!!

OR after 2 hours

Can't we lower that down to an hour?

EDIT: Undib, my system won't connect. :upset:

It's up for the taking.

Paranoidd
07-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Shouldn't this be stickied?

Bartender
07-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Forced Listening threads always seem to survive independent of stickies - if not, then there's not point them existing, so no, I don't think it should be.

Can't we lower that down to an hour?

Got to give 56Kers a chance.

I think it'd also be good for people to at least look at a couple of reviews in the original thread (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92332), to see how they should be done.

And please, it'd be nice to keep this thread as clear of non-reviews/dibs/bumps as possible as possible.

MxShredder
07-23-2004, 12:08 PM
dibs :)

MxShredder
07-23-2004, 12:29 PM
My Dying Bride - A Sea to Suffer in

I haven't heard any doom metal before, but i knew it's defined by slow tempos and a sludgey sound. It doesn't sound very appealing to me. This song is pretty good though and if this is really what doom metal is like i might check out some more.

Starts off with a nice piano riff. Eventually done by a distorted guitar and something that sounds like a violin or a guitar with the tone turned way down. The switch from piano to guitar is like the switch from 'intermission' to 'jimmy' on aenima.

The song sound like it's title, though begins to bore me around the 4 minute mark.

7/10

suggestion:

Nine inch nails - la mer (Industrial\Piano Ballad\???)

Mekkalayakay
07-23-2004, 12:51 PM
dibs

Mekkalayakay
07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Nine Inch Nails - La Mer

I was expecting something more heavy and industrial, but this intro is amazing. The piano and bass harmonizes well. Then the bell/keyboard sound comes in. :confused: I don't know what it is, but it mixes very well. I'm loving this so far. Nothing like what I expected, because I've only heard a few songs from NIN.

This beautiful female voice just came in speaking French. :confused: I'm hoping I got the right song....... Now the drums have come in along with another bass line. This is a beautiful song, I'm just not believing this is NIN. Now...synthesized trumpets? :confused: Most likely just a keyboard song.

2:47, it's still the same, but getting a bit louder. 3:45, it starts to fade out, and now it's just the piano, bass, and a faded out sound of the drums. The french voice came in shortly again. It's fading out completely now.

That was a great song. Only problem: I don't think that was the right song...:(

overall:9.5/10

I am very sorry if this is the wrong song. The download says "[Nine Inch Nails] 11-la mer" :)

Suggestions:

Bal Sagoth- Behold, The Armies of War
Death- Without Judgement

Evil Clown Liquor
07-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Dibs... on, I guess, Bal Sagoth ( I think you were only supposed to post one, man :)

EDIT: Couldn't find Bal Sagoth, but I found the Death song, so I'll do that one instead. :thumb:

Mekkalayakay
07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
I posted two, because that way there's a backup in case nobody can find one of the songs. But you are correct, just do one of them.

Bartender
07-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah, posting more than one (I usually post 3 bands, two songs each) is a good idea. And mekka - that sounds like the right song.

Evil Clown Liquor
07-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Ughhh, I'm afraid I have to revoke my dibs. I couldn't find the Bal Sagoth song, and with the Without Judgement song I had one result, but it wouldn't connect. Undibs, undibs, it's up for grabs... :upset:

Mekkalayakay
07-23-2004, 02:48 PM
And mekka - that sounds like the right song.

Wow. I never knew NIN did stuff like that. All I had previously heard was March of the Pigs and Closer. If NIN has done other previous work like La Mer, I could definately get into them.

Bartender
07-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Wow. I never knew NIN did stuff like that. All I had previously heard was March of the Pigs and Closer. If NIN has done other previous work like La Mer, I could definately get into them.

Try some more from the album The Fragile, especially the instrumentals (The Frail, Just Like You Imagined, Complication) :)

I'll have a go at finding Bal Sagoth.

MxShredder
07-23-2004, 03:20 PM

score one for forced listening :cool:

check out hurt, the great below, a warm place

hurt you've probably heard
the great below has a similar vibe to la mer, just with trent's vocals
a warm place is a soft instrumental

Bartender
07-23-2004, 03:51 PM
I've not heard any songs by Bal Sagoth, but I know of them, at least.

Bal Sagoth - Behold, the Armies of War 5:56

What I've heard about Bal Sagoth, and the title of the song, has stirred up my Manowar/Bathory-epic hopes.

Starts off with a pretty cool pounding guitar/drums, with a kind of ominous tone in the background. The guitar after that is almost constantly messing around, not staying constant, which I like. So far (1:00) it sounds very bombastic - the pompous vocals just emphasise that. I like it.

Around 1:20, there's a pretty cool run of double bass, and more messing around with the guitar. The vocals are now switching between raspy black/death and the clean, pompous style of before. The lyrics (what I can hear) are similar - "You will bear this punishment" and so on, very dramatic.

I like the harsher guitar from around 3:20, though I think I've identified synths in between guitar parts. The vocals are never very prominent, I'm noticing. I like this slower guitar solo now though (4:50 or so). "Every molecule in my body is ablaze with cosmic fire" - I like that as well.

It stops pretty suddenly, with a spiralling synth (I think) note to lead out on.

Well, apart from that guitar solo towards the end, there isn't much I could pick out as impressing me, but overall it was actually an enjoyable listen. 7.5/10

Songs:
Arghoslent - The Purging Fires of War or Hereditary Taint (melodic death metal)
Axis of Perdition - Ruined Nation Awakens (black metal with industrial influence)
Young Heart Attack - Tommy Shots or Sick of Doing Time (AC/DC-style rock)

iliketoplaydrums10111
07-23-2004, 04:07 PM
I have to go somwere, so just skip me completely

Evil Clown Liquor
07-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Dibs on YHA- Tommy Shots. I'll try my luck on this again...

Bartender
07-23-2004, 04:21 PM
You don't have to specify the song :) Just dibs, and try to get any of them.

superpeer
07-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Wow, cool to see that this is working out.

Evil Clown Liquor
07-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Now this is the sound that the garage rock bands of toda should be trying to capture. They have a very 80's punk- AC/DC sound to them, and seem to be trying to bring back that vibe, which I'm happy to say they do.

The song doesn't waste anytime doddling around, and kicks off immediately with a very Angus Young- like chord riff, and a very catchy drum beat. Then the vocals, which consist of a male voice and a female voice, seamlessly switch off every sentence, which helps keep it fresh. The song maintains the same rhythym up until about 1:20, when it kicks into a bridge reminiscent of, again, AC/DC, followed by a solo that fits nicely into the song.

I'm usually not into these bands that are trying to capture the sound and energy of rock from the earlier ages, but these guys (and girl) pull it off, and I like it. 8.5/10

Suggestions:
Primus- Hamburger Train (Instrumental)
- The Devil Went Down To Georgia (Narrative Primus Song)
John Frusciante- The Slaughter (Experimental rock)
- Water
Wall Of Voodoo- Mexican Radio ( Some of you may have heard this song before from the 80s, very catchy)

Adam Jones is GOD
07-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Dibs, ill go for one of the Primus songs, as I would like to hear more of what they're about

Adam Jones is GOD
07-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Primus - Devil went down to Georgia

Errr, it has to probably be one of the most random songs that i've heard for a while. It has the country music vibe, which would normally put me off, but the singers lyrics are great, and delivered in a unique manner. The use of more than just guitar/bass/drums was good, and the creativity of them was something that impressed me. That, and the sudden unexpected distorted part in the middle.

Overall, it has shown me more of what Primus are like, and I may track down an album, downloading mass amounts of music isn't to my liking.

Now, my recommendations

Peach: Burn or Catfood
The Black mages (especially for FF fans): J-E-N-O-V-A or The Decisive Battle
You can find downloads here http://www.geocities.com/akai_sakura/TBM.html
OR
Million Dead - Breaking the back

Bartender
07-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Dibs.

Badmoon
07-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Errr, it has to probably be one of the most random songs that i've heard for a while. It has the country music vibe, which would normally put me off, but the singers lyrics are great, and delivered in a unique manner. The use of more than just guitar/bass/drums was good, and the creativity of them was something that impressed me. That, and the sudden unexpected distorted part in the middle.

Overall, it has shown me more of what Primus are like, and I may track down an album, downloading mass amounts of music isn't to my liking.

They didn't write the song. They covered it off of The Charlie Daniels Band. Who is a Country band.

Bartender
07-23-2004, 08:07 PM
^Yeah, and you should have given the song an X/10.

This is Justin Chancellor's pre-Tool band, yes?

Peach - Catfood 3:47

Starts off with a nice mellow bassline. Clean vocals come in, singing odd lyrics about people going shopping for things. Guitar comes in on the second half of most verses, which are quite catchy. Around 1:00, it changes for a short chorus about catfood.

The basic melody of the song is really damn catchy, and I like the heavy guitar which occasionally comes in and repeats that melody. Halfway through the song now, and it's basically one part which has repeated itself a few times; there's now some guitar messing around in the background though.

It might be because I'm aware it's Chancellor, but I really liked the bass in that song. Overall, it was really relaxing, and pretty catchy. I kept expecting something to happen, which didn't, which was a little disappointing. Other than that, a solid song.

7/10. I might listen to this album now.

Songs:
Arghoslent - The Purging Fires of War or Incorrigible Bigotry (instrumental) (melodic death metal)
Axis of Perdition - Ruined Nation Awakens (black metal with industrial influence)
Young Heart Attack - Sick of Doing Time (AC/DC-style rock)

ECL - that's just what I was looking for for Young Heart Attack. I'm trying to get them noticed, since no one seems to care.

br3ad_man
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
This is the best forum for a thread like this. A lot of R&Mers need to open themselves up to new music ;)

Mekkalayakay
07-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Revoked. Can't find any of them. I'm going to keep looking for Young Heart Attack, because you obviously see something in them, and you have a good taste in music in my opinion Bartender.

Bartender
07-23-2004, 09:10 PM

I'll give some more, in case no one else can find those ones either;
Arghoslent - The Purging Fires of War or Incorrigible Bigotry (instrumental) (melodic death metal)
Young Heart Attack - Sick of Doing Time (AC/DC-style rock)
Devin Townsend - The Fluke or Down and Under (Instrumental)
Candlemass - Solitude (traditional doom)
Spastic Ink - To Counter and Groove in E Minor (technical instrumental metal)

Someone must be able to find one.

Kingofdudes
07-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Young Heart Attack - Sick of Doing Time 2:40

The songs starts out with just guitars for fives seconds, then everything else jumps in. It seems there are 2 guitar players(either that or the guitarist record more than one guitar part). One of the guitar plays a simple yet very catchy riff, while the other guitar wails every so often. At about 1:40 is a rocking solo :cool: . After the solo the second guitar seems to come out more and shakes up the song.

I do like the guitar in this song, they do classic rock much better than Jet IMO. The bass didnt really impress me too much, but I can hear it, and thats an improvement compared to many modern bands. The vocals annoyed me at first, but after a few more listens, they started to grow on me.

Very energetic song, I liked it :thumb: , ill probably download more songs later

8/10

My Songs

Megadeth - Holy Wars
Helloween - Halloween
DragonForce- Valley of the Damned
Layla - Derek & The Dominos

blueyxd
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
gr, its downloading really slowly.
revoked, but I'll reclaiom it if no one else has by the time its downloaded

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 12:04 AM
dibs on megadeath- holy wars

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 12:23 AM
the song starts off with just a guitar playing a preety fast riff, which is a great cathcy riff that gets you into the song. Then everything else kicks in and they play this simple thras metal style riff, and dave mustaine does some mini solos over it which sound cool. The vocals in teh song are great and so are the lyrics, and there is great guitarwork in the verse too. After the verse dave mustaine does a middle eastern-sounding riff that really gives you a "holy wars" vibe. The guitar solo is great, dav mustaine is an incredible guitar player, it has speed yet it doesnt loose the melody which is something some great guitar players tend to do.

i give it a 9/10

my song is
black sabbath- electric funeral

Mekkalayakay
07-24-2004, 12:44 AM
Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral

Starts off just like good old Sabbath. Catchy wah guitar riff. Around 15 seconds, Ozzy comes in. Weird hearing that man before he was messed up by drugs. A few more verses go by and the chorus. Ozzy's lyrics are quite strange. Repeat. Low toms come in, and the speed picks up a bit at around 2:00 minutes somewhere. New guitar riff, which is sweet. :cool: Bass riff is also nice. Ozzy goes up an octave on this verse, from the original verse. Harmonies between the guitar and bass are wrong. Hahaha, the "Electric Funeral" part cracked me up.
3:10, goes back to the original verse. Ozzy comes in again with the same stuff. Repeat again.
4:15-4:20, verse gets a bit simpler, but stays the same. Then it slowly fades out until the end at 4:48. Good song overall.

Same old Black Sabbath. But I haven't heard them in a while, so it was good listening to them again. :cool: They have that signature sound, which I like.

8/10

Suggestions:

Praxis - Cold Rolled and Iron Dub
Symphorce - Face of Pain
Sodom - Napalm in the Morning

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 01:29 AM
dibs on Sodom - Napalm in the Morning

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 01:31 AM
sorry, revoke, couldnt find it

StreetlightRock
07-24-2004, 01:56 AM
Dibs on Sodom - Napalm in the morning

Taking a while to get... it was hard to find.

DVG.

StreetlightRock
07-24-2004, 02:17 AM
*sigh*, lost it, revoke as well. The beginning sounds cool tho. and the drumming is great.

DVG.

Mekkalayakay
07-24-2004, 03:36 AM
*bump*

StreetlightRock
07-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Ok, got it thorugh!

Sodom - Napalm in the morning

Starts off with the sound of a helicoptor flying overhead. Then some guy saying he loves the smell of Napalm in the morning. The actual intro begins with an acoustic guitar, playing a really soothing nice tune. At about 0:45 the distorted guitar and drums in. The durms are really good, and its keeps its flowing pattern, with a bit more headbanging power. At about 1:05, a heavier guitar comes in with a heavier riff and it loses its 'sweetness'. The beat isnt too fast, nice to rock around to and headbang, this continues for quite some time. Vocals are good enough to scare little kids off, good never theless. It changes slightly at 3:40, Alot of toms on the drum, more bassy, and then speeds up. Chorus again, and the solo just whips in, really fast, goes on together with a double bass pedal - Nice and comes in at the right time, only regret is that its to short. Goes on to shouting 'Napalm in the morning' for a bit and ends.

Overall a good song, i actually havnt heard any Sodom songs, so i cant say if it fits their style or whatever, but it does become a tad bit monotous, but very good if you just wanna headbang to.

finally.

Sonic Youth - Purr (rock)

DVG.

superpeer
07-24-2004, 10:49 AM
dibs.

superpeer
07-24-2004, 11:19 AM
I've heard a lot about these guys, but I've never really actually heard a song.

This one starts off with a nice riff and a little scream.

Catchy riff, the vocals are quite accesible, I think. Soft and melodic.

The riff is growing on me, it's very nice, it drives the song, the (pre?)chorus is also pretty nice, it's all very catchy.
Then there's some sort of interlude, a nice variation, which eventually leads to a solo, nothing too amazing, but nice nonetheless.
I kinda miss the intro riff and luckily the bass introduces it again. Ready for the third verse.
There's quite some riff variation in this song and it's very catchy, I liked it.

7.5/10

My songs :

Testament - Practice what you preach (thrash)
Arcturus - Wintry Grey (Symphonic Prog Black metal)
Arch Enemy - Bury me an angel (Melodic Death)

Bartender
07-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Dibs; I'll take the opportunity to check out Arch Enemy.

Bartender
07-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Arch Enemy - Bury Me An Angel - 3:40

Starts off straight away with a pretty heavy, and pretty cool, riff, and double bass. More or less stays that way, apart from a little guitar-centred bit, for 40 seconds, until the melodic bit comes in more. I like the main riff.

The vocals are pretty good - deep, but not as deep or rough as many death metal vocalists, and not indecipherable either.

I really really like the slower part that starts at about 2:20, and is then joined by some picking, and then a good solo around 3:00 which just leads pretty much effortlessly back into the main riff of the song, for a very good end to the song.

8.5/10. I was thinking 7.5 for most of the song, but then I really enjoyed the slower, and ending, parts.

Songs:
Blue Öyster Cult - Godzilla or Golden Age of Leather (Classic rock)

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 12:27 PM
i dibs on Blue Öyster Cult

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 12:33 PM
revoke the down loads got all screwd up

Kevin Rhoads21
07-24-2004, 12:41 PM
dibs on cult

Kevin Rhoads21
07-24-2004, 12:49 PM
blue oyster cult Godzilla 3:42

Song starts out with a catchy riff comprised of power chords and a bit of echo, vocals come on early, with a very good vocal performance, but not great lyrics and some odd vocal effects toward the middle of the song. The chorus is very catchy and has a good hook to it. The solo follows shortly which is a burst of quick licks trademark of the band. A couple verses follow the breakdown which are both very good, and the song ends with two vocalists saying in harmony Godzilla! one of the cults better songs with very good guitar work 8/10

how bout
Rainbow, Stargazer or gates of babylon

Bartender
07-24-2004, 01:22 PM
You know you're not supposed to have heard the song before reviewing it?

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 01:52 PM
dibs on gates of babylon

black_sabbath634
07-24-2004, 02:06 PM
the song starts out with some wierd guitar effect that sonds preety cool. then a distored guitar comes in with a distorted, catchy, hard rock riff. Then the vocals come in, they are preety good vocals. the guitarwork in the song is really good, whoever the guitarist is, he is good. It later goes into an all out shredding solo that is preety long, which i like. Overall this is a catchy song with incredible guitar so i give it a 9/10.
I had never heard rainbow before, but i really liked this song, so maybe ill check them out.

my song is
"welcome to dying" blind guardian

Kevin Rhoads21
07-24-2004, 02:08 PM
^^^ ritchie blackmore formerly of deep purple

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 03:31 PM
i was going to call dibs on welcome to dying, but since i have owned that cd for years, ill let someone else grab it. If nobody has called dibs by the next time i come back on the boards though its mine :wave:

suspect
07-24-2004, 03:32 PM
dibs

Brew
07-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Candlemass - Solitude

Dibs on that.

EDIT: Revoke that, it would have taken too long to download (I got remotly queued 102)

I'll take Helloween - Halloween

Meh, fark it, winmx is being slow.

I'll take dibs on a song soon...

suspect
07-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Blind Guardian - Welcome to Dying(live)

I downloaded the live version by mistake but I hope this doesn't matter... Haha, starts off with a great intro, the vocalist shouting WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME! and then whispers, welcome to dying in a british accent...

Cool riff follows, small harmonizing part thats good. I like the vocalist, he gets the crowd going and can sing live. Nice fast drumming parts. Nice guitar work going on, pretty fast riffs here and there, nice artificial harmonics.

Solo now... Very nice... fits with the song perfectly, very fast at times. New guitar enters with a new solo. This one is a bit more slow... Harmonizing at times... Great great... Singing again, I really like this guy. The crowd screams WELCOME TO DYING! in the chorus which is a plus. Wow, another harmonized guitar riff... very melodic and nice.

I give this song a 9 out of 10 and I'll probably download some more songs.

Dark Tranquillity - The Same

Kingofdudes
07-24-2004, 03:43 PM
messed up post so now this is a vacant lot

Bartender
07-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Candlemass - Solitude

Dibs on that.

EDIT: Revoke that, it would have taken too long to download (I got remotly queued 102)

I'll take Helloween - Halloween

Meh, fark it, winmx is being slow.

I'll take dibs on a song soon...

For future reference (for Brummington here and anyone else), you can only take dibs on or review a song recommended by the previous reviewer. Only one thread of reviews at a time.

Mekkalayakay
07-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Completely Revoked. Somebody else take it.

superpeer
07-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Bump.

I'll take it eventually if no one will do it. I'm going to bed now, though.

blueyxd
07-24-2004, 09:30 PM
getting now. d-word

blueyxd
07-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Dark Tranquillity - The Same

Well it gets right into it with a distorted chord and tom-roll. Then a melodic cascading heavy riff, and growly vocals.. not too hard to make out, though I still dont know what he's saying as it's my first few listens. It sounds much like In Flames, just a bit slower.

The chorus is even more melodic, I can work out some of the words here. Theres synth strings weaving nicely with the lead guitar. The chorus plays twice, then theres a marchy bit before the next verse.

Verse and 2x chorus again, then the marchy bit is built upon for the bridge and theres a bit of lead guitar, not too tricky sounding. Back to the chorus and ends at the end of that.

It's fairly easy to listen to for metal and the growly vocals. A lot like In Flames, but not as fast or trebley. I'd also guess that it's not as technical, I reckon I could work this out fairly quickly.

Sounds nice and flows well, though its typical in structure. I also prefer slower stuff in metal, so it was good in that respect. The music sounded a bit too simple for my liking though, still it didnt make it sound bad, I just noticed it not sounding as fiddly as I'd hoped.
7.5/10

Zero Hour - Stratagem - progressive power metal, for fans of weird time sigs. 8 minutes
Wumpscut - Black Death (French Concept) - ambient techno meets heavy industrial. about 5:50

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 10:28 PM
dibs

NJMetalMeister
07-24-2004, 11:49 PM
****, well i had a nice review written, then i got a DNS error and it was forever lost, time to rewrite it.

Zero Hour - Stratagem

The bass intro is very nice, and i enjoy the off time drums in the background. The guitar builds up behind it. The following riff is a modification of the original riff, with a lot of double bass. The intro continues in this fashion for quite a while before the vocals come in, making slight variations all on the same riff with at least one instrument. There is a nice little bass lead thrown in there which i enjoy a lot. It's a shame the bassist of this band spends most of his time following the bass drum it seems, as opposed to doing his own thing, because he sure has some good ideas. The guitar lead that follows the bass lead does not impress me much, it isn't bad, but it isn't anything amazing either.

Finally the vocals come in, with a talking voice. Pretty standard here. A quick bridge after this, and the verse begins. The vocalst is obviously pretty talented, but he isn't extremely stand out. Does very well for the genre though. The drumming in the verse is very well done.

A quick bridge ensues again, and another verse follows. The melody between the guitar and bass is nice during the bridge. Good interaction between the members of this band. The second verse is the same as the first one, so nothing new to report here.

Another bridge comes in, much heavier than anything else in the song thus far, a lot of stuff going on here, you will have to listen a few times to get everything. They throw one line of vocals over it in the middle. i really don't like the vocal effect used at all.

It then slows down, very tastefully slows down. Almost in a gordian knot type fashion. The singer's low quiet vocals are remniscent of Russel Allen of Symphony X. I enjoy this whole mellow part quite a bit, it is probably my favorite part of the entire song.

It speeds up, and once again, a lot is going on. Off time beats on the drums, the bassist following the drummer, and the guitarist off doing his own thing. The vocals really tie the whole part together.

Another heavy part ensues, with some really cool drumming in my opinion. I like the snare-bass drum trade off.

The following riff is an eh riff in my opinion. I think it's just not up to par with the rest of the song. However when the vocals fade out there is a really sweet riff going on in the background that is easily missed if you arent paying attention.

Insert gallop beat, but lets make it off time as well. The bassist begins to do something again, and the drumming style reminds me of Dream Theater a lot.

Another verse, and it ends.

Overall a very good experience, I would have liked more of a bassline though 8/10

Now it's my turn.
Swallow the Sun - Through Her Silvery Body (8:40 - Doom Metal)
Arcturus - Kinetic (5:25 - Prog/Avant garde black metal)
Arsis - The Face of My Innocence (5:33 - Melo black/death)

If you have any trouble finding any of these let me know, i have all 3 on my computer, i can send them through AIM and MSN.

If nobody wants any of them ill post new ones later on.

Mekkalayakay
07-24-2004, 11:53 PM
dibs

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Swallow The Sun - Through Her Silvery Body

Starts out with a piano intro. That grabbed me in quickly. Very nice. At 50 seconds, the guitar, drums, and bass come in. Very well harmonized. Very doomy. :cool: At around 1:33, a very slow guitar solo/verse (I can't tell yet) comes in. Good stuff. I'll definately be listening to this again if the rest of the song is as good.
2:17, the guitar changes again, and the vocalist comes in. Very nice growls. Fits very well with the music. The original chorus comes back in at around 3:00 minutes. 3:25, the vocalist comes back in. I'm really digging this vocalist. Maybe I just need to get into more of the doom/death/black metal scene. I only listen to a few select death bands, yet I have a lot of their albums. Back to the music. At 4:00 minutes, the chorus comes in, and the vocalist gets really into it with his closed-throat scream. They have an orchestra (don't know if it's real or not) in the background that mixes in very well.
4:51, a solo. Slow, but awesome. Aha, 5:15, I find out that it isn't a solo, but just an addition. The vocalist came back in, and is singing over it. Now back to the chorus.
This is definately a good song.
6:18, the verse comes back in again. Same stuff.
7:01, chorus again. Same stuff. Vocalist is getting intense again. I think it's coming to a close now. Less than a minute to go. It's rapping up.

It ends with a growl, a few taps on the crash/china cymbal, and the orchestra and guitars fade out.

Great song man. Overall rating: 9/10

Suggestions: Spiral Architect - Conjuring Collapse
Edguy - Power and Majesty
Praxis - Cold Rolled and Iron Dub

StreetlightRock
07-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Mine!

DVG.

StreetlightRock
07-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Spiral Architect - Conjuring Collapse

**** this is an ugly song. Heh. Nothing like anything ive ever heard, and not to say its bad, just... ugly.

Starts off with the double bass for a few seconds, then everything else comes in. The intro riff has got some weird chords, but it works. This goes on for a bit, with some cymbal crashing, but the drumming still v. good. It very suddenly changes, with the guitar going into a strange lick and the drums just having fun with the guitar.
Now some trace of melody, then it disappears as the vocals come in. The guys voice is also a bit strange.

If anything the song fits together in itself. There is SOMETHING that holds it together, i think its the chords that sort of follow the tune that the guy is singing. Alot of start and stop. The guitar isn’t that heavy. The drummer likes his cymbals and hi-hat. Have to admit, the guitar doesn’t exactly sound easy to play, and its definitely unique. The solo is also heaps strange but... again, SOMETHING is there that holds it together.

I’m still pretty 'wowed' that a band could even really conceive a song like this. The bands got a lot of skill, if anything. It’s a strange song, but I can see why people like it.

Overall rating: 5.9/10

Ill Nino – With You (spanish/flamenco stuff done by a metal band)

DVG.

manuscriptreplica
07-25-2004, 05:22 AM
Ill Nino - With You

Yawn. That is all I will say about this song. The classical guitars are cool, and the bongos are cool. Spanish music is mostly enjoyable. But then this terrible 'singer' comes in and ruins everything. It would be a decent instrumental, but this random comes in and completely ****s it up. And his lyrics are crap. "My tears will set you free" What the hell is this, an Enrique Iglesius song? Because that's what it sounds like, a mediocre Enrique Iglesius song.

2/10.

-------------

Darkthrone - Sempiternal Sepulchrality (Death Metal)
Coroner - Suicide Command (Technical Thrash Metal)
Melvins - Honey Bucket (Stoner/Sludge Metal)

lilpete86
07-25-2004, 09:34 AM
EDIT: I take it back, soulseek isn't working for me today

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 01:42 PM
dibs then

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Darkthrone - Sempiternal Sepulchrality

Starts off with a slower guitar riff and drumming, and soon gets faster. This sounds like either a really old song, bad production, or maybe I just got screwed on the download.
The main verse is a bit strange. The vocalist has more of raspy vocals, which isn't a bad thing. Fits in well. Music is sounding good though. 1:20, it's slowed down a little bit, and changed. 1:34, goes back to the fast verse. 1:50, there's blast beats going on. Sounds good. The guitar riff changes frequently, I'm liking that. In fact, it's changing extremely frequently.
2:50, it changes again, with another half-blast beat type thing.
Around 3:00 minutes, a sweet solo starts. I didn't even realize how much towards the end of the song that was. A bit shorter than my taste. Not bad overall though.

The drumming was nice. Good fills, with that nice blastbeat right in the middle. Guitar was tight. I liked that short solo towards the end. The bass fits in very well actually. I can only hear it in specific parts of the song, but it's still good.

I wanted to make this review longer, but it's too short of a song.

Overall rating: 7/10

Suggestions:

Praxis - Cold Rolled / Iron Dub (I know it's a bit hard to find, so contact me on AIM. I'll send it. My AIM= Mekkalayakay :) (experimental. Buckethead side-project)

Kataklysm - Stormland (death metal)

Brew
07-25-2004, 04:22 PM

Dibs.

Edit: Its taking along time to download, if I don't have it within half an hour, I'll revoke.

Brew
07-25-2004, 05:40 PM

Right, I finally got this song downloaded...

Song begins with the main guitar riff thats used throughout the duration of the song, it sounds kinda scratchy and like a typical death metal riff. The riff is quite catchy.

The drums in the song are good, the guitar work fits well with the drum work to keep the song tight, theres quite alot of double bass when the drums come in and during the song.

The vocals quite good, the screams are alright but I've heard better screams.

At around 2.12 there is a pause then then a long scream and some guitar/drum work.

The bass isn't very audiable in this song.

Seeing as I'm not really much of a death metal fan, this song is one of the better ones I've heard.

7/10

I know the review is a bit short, its my first one so they should improve over time.

My suggestions:

Fourwaykill - Reclamation Rite
Falconer - The Coronation

extreme_191
07-25-2004, 05:49 PM
After the verse dave mustaine does a middle eastern-sounding riff that really gives you a "holy wars" vibe. The guitar solo is great, dav mustaine is an incredible guitar player, it has speed yet it doesnt loose the melody which is something some great guitar players tend to do.

Actually, Friedman did the mid-eastern acoustic solo before the punishment due. I'm pretty sure Mustaine doesn't know most of the crazy scales Friedman structures his solos on, they show the unique style Friedmans has.Good review though...

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 05:55 PM
After the verse dave mustaine does a middle eastern-sounding riff that really gives you a "holy wars" vibe. The guitar solo is great, dav mustaine is an incredible guitar player, it has speed yet it doesnt loose the melody which is something some great guitar players tend to do.

Actually, Friedman did the mid-eastern acoustic solo before the punishment due. I'm pretty sure Mustaine doesn't know most of the crazy scales Friedman structures his solos on, they show the unique style Friedmans has.Good review though...

Read the rules of the thread again. You can only do reviews on one of the songs of the person above you, and that's only if you call dibs first.

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 06:16 PM
My suggestions:

Fourwaykill - Reclamation Rite

Since nobody else is taking it, dibs

superpeer
07-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Read the rules of the thread again. You can only do reviews on one of the songs of the person above you, and that's only if you call dibs first.

He wasn't reviewing, he quoted someone without adding a quote and commented. :thumb:

I will edit the quotes in.

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 06:35 PM

I have heard of this band, but just haven't checked them out.

Starts out with this sweet guitar intro :eek: Then goes into the first verse. Quite gallopy. I'm thinking Power Metal here. The singers voice isn't bad at all. Chorus now, and there is another voice along with the singers one octave up. Fits well. This song is badass so far. Back to the main verse. The guitar in this song is quite sweet. And the drummer is doing a very good job of not getting in the way too much.
Chorus again around 1:40. "And then we will prevail" "VAIL"
2:07, it goes into the bridge. Guitar is superb, along with the drums adding the galloping bit. Another guitar starts to overlayer it. It turns into a solo now. Nice.
At 3:00 minutes, it goes back to a pre-chorus. Then the chorus comes back. It's rapping up. A little pre-solo towards the end on guitar. It closes almost the same as it opens. Nice.

Definately a song I'll listen to again. Overall rating: 7/10

Suggestions:

Praxis - Cold Rolled and Iron Dub aka Cold Rolled / Iron Dub (experimental metal. One of Buckethead's side projects.)

Symphorce - Face of Pain (Power metal)

Katatonia - 12 (Doom metal)

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Bumpage.

Iai
07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Dibs on Katatonia. Been meaning to check em for a while now....

extreme_191
07-25-2004, 08:39 PM

Sorry, I was replying to a post and deleted the first half including the quote: thing.

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 08:55 PM
No problem. I mistunderstood what you were doing anyway, so it was my bad.

Iai
07-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Right.....I used both Limewire and SoulSeek, and could not find ANY of those 3 files. Pretty weak. So, since the point of this is to get people into new bands, I'm going to review what DID come up for Katatonia, with good, reliable matches. I'm sorry if this song is a bad representation of them.

Katatonia - Ghost Of The Sun

Starts with a wah riff that soon turns heavy. It's pretty repetitive and doesn't show much imagination, but that doesn't detract. The vocals lack a little charisma, as does the songwriting. There's a lot of swearing in the chorus.

"That's all I hear/A fucking lie/Don't give a shit"

On the plus side, the band have a good control of dynamics, which keeps things interesting. An acoustic passage with ethereal backing vocals appears around 2.30 into the song, which I really liked. And, I must say, I really like the melody - the one thing, above all, that stops it being bland. It's a very accessable song, too; not something that needs work to understand. Whether that is good or bad depends on your view, really. I can't imagine it would have much longevity, though.

6.5/10

Verdict: I'd certainly be interesting in hearing some more of their stuff. You can hear the band's potential in the song, for sure. And seeing as it's the most popular mp3, it's probably their most commercial song. Quietly impressed.

And now I offer up -

Heaven Shall Burn - The Weapon They Fear (Black metal-inspired metalcore)
Lullacry - Don't Touch The Flame (Very commercial sounding gothic rock)
Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come (Seattle thrash)
Jack Off Jill - Devil With The Black Dress On (Marilyn Manson's perverted little sisters)
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love (80s prog metal)

The first three can be found here - http://www.centurymedia.com/audio/MP3/mp3.html

Evil Clown Liquor
07-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Mel Dibson...

Evil Clown Liquor
07-25-2004, 11:21 PM
OK, the intro has just kicked in. Has a nice, mellow rhythym to it. A second guitar just hit in with a flowing lead solo. Wow, the rhythym guitar and lead guitar are harmonizing nicely. It kind of reminds me of the acoustic intro from Metallica- Battery for some reason, except there not acoustic guitars.

Alright, there we go. The distortion just kicked in, and this part is heavy. It's got a good fast rythym, and I'm noticing the drums. Ok, the singer and verse just kicked in. Hmmm, his voice is a bit high-pitched, and it sounds like he's forcing it a bit too much. The verse is pretty sweet though, a nice, crushing riff. OK, we're a little over two minutes in the song, and I'm really digging the lead guitar. It's keeps popping in with these killer scales, and I like how even though each riff is different, it keeps with the rythym.

I can't say the same for this guy's voice. It just sounds too forced and not natural enough, if you follow my festival. But anyway, we're about 3:30 into the song, and they've just started kicking into a breakdown. Damn, I'm really in love with this lead guitar. It's just all over the place, and it sounds great. Just went from a quick thrash-y solo right into a lead riff and back again. The drums also do a great job with the changing rythym. OK, here we go back into the chorus and singing, proceeding to outro.

I really dug this song, especially the lead guitar, and the intro in the beginning was fantastic. I would have given this song a 10 out of 10, if the singer's voice just didn't sound as forced. It sounds like his voice would stiil be good if he just loosened up a bit.

Score:9/10

Rage Against The Machine- Beautiful World (This song is much different from there usual stuff. It is a cover, and it consists of just a guitar and Zach's vocals. Not screaming, or rapping, but singing, and it sounds really raw. Morello doesn't use any of his trademark effects in this song, just a nice, haunting chord rythym.)

Iai
07-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Dib-Dab.

Iai
07-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Rage Against The Machine - Beautiful World

First, what I'm expecting - a cover version that strips all the subtelty of the original away and ends up sounding like the epicenter of an earthquake. Sorry, I wasn't a big fan of Renegades. I'll say this up front.

According to the official site, this song does not appear on any official release. The last time I downloaded a Rage song that wasn't on the official site, it turned out to be a KISS cover by Shandi's Addiction (read - RATM and Tool). And I loved it.

I feel like I've heard these chords before. They're very reminiscent of both Snow Patrol's 'Run' and Damien Rice's 'Cannonball' without the capo. Not what you expect, eh?

I would never have placed the voice as Zach's without knowing it was Rage before. You can hear it, though. Again, he sounds like the singer of Snow Patrol, but the inflections are there.

Apparently this is a cover, but it's not a song I've heard before. I was expecting the original to appear on my Limewire search too, but it didn't. Unless it's a Jimmy Eat World cover. Which I doubt.

It's a fairly atmospheric song, and, as mentioned above, it does have a raw quality to it. The sound quality is pretty good - to be honest, I was expecting demo quality. It does, however, contain what sounds like somebody shaving in the background about two-thirds of the way through. It's okay, though, it helps build tension.

The lyrics are nothing mind-blowing, but they're more than adequate. Overall, a fine departure for Rage. There's none of the pyrotechnics, it won't persuade a kid to pick up the guitar, it's not especially inventive - but it's a good song, and at the end of the day, that's what counts.

7/10.

So, to add to those I suggested earlier, I'll put -

X-Japan - Rusty Nail. (Japanese Metal, very melodic)

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Start suggesting more than one song...Especially for a band as rare as that. I didn't find any results for X-Japan.

Evil Clown Liquor
07-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Rage Against The Machine - Beautiful World

It does, however, contain what sounds like somebody shaving in the background about two-thirds of the way through. It's okay, though, it helps build tension.

:lol: I never notcied that until you mentioned it. It either sounds like that or someone using a tablesaw while they were recording.

Iai
07-26-2004, 12:08 AM
I said, also the ones I suggested above, two of which have a link for extra ease.

Jack Off Jill - Devil With The Black Dress On (Marilyn Manson's perverted little sisters)
X-Japan - Rusty Nail (Japanese metal, very melodic)

The first two can be found here - http://www.centurymedia.com/audio/MP3/mp3.html

Iai
07-26-2004, 12:10 AM
:lol: I never notcied that until you mentioned it. It either sounds like that or someone using a tablesaw while they were recording.

Yeah. I really like it when stuff like that happens in songs though. There's one Radiohead B-side where you can hear Thom's girlfriend washing up in the background. It gives it a human, intimate quality.

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
07-26-2004, 12:37 AM
I said, also the ones I suggested above, two of which have a link for extra ease.

X-Japan - Rusty Nail (Japanese metal, very melodic)

The first two can be found here - http://www.centurymedia.com/audio/MP3/mp3.html

i got dibbs

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
07-26-2004, 01:48 AM
ok im not into most metal especialy this metalcore stuff but...

Heaven Shall Burn - The Weapon They Fear

starts off Woah, starts off hard, male singer imeadily starts screaming:eek:
dominating heavy guitars, nice drum beat. "Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeence!"
lyrics are realy repetative, the silence scream is getting anoying. the song is really repetative, i dont realy like the singers voice, i like the heaviness of the guitars, allthough the progression isnt to creative. around one minute it gets cool, speed metal like. singer is stlye anoying as hell. "Oppppppppppppppreeesssssssion!" 2:30 nice bridge or whatever hey you can hear the bass! asuming that in parts of the song the drummer is using some double bass pedels. no solo. felt let down. oh well.

6/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stanley Clarke - Hello Jeff <------great harder rock song.
Stanley Clarke - School Days

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 02:47 PM
revoked

Bartender
07-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Nice to see you're taking this thread to heart, mekka.

I'll take dibs on this one; go easy if I'm a little over 2 hours though, I'm on dial-up and I can only find 192kbps versions.

Bartender
07-26-2004, 04:27 PM
All I've heard of this guy previously is a song he did with Allan Holdsworth (If Only This Bass Could Talk)
Stanley Clarke - Jeff Boy - 4:53 (about)

Okay, starts off mid-tempo, really fluid, flowing guitar, bass and piano, I think. This is the sort of thing I was expecting based on If Only This Bass Could Talk.

At roughly 1:00, drums come in and the tone of the song pretty much changes. The drums make it sound harder, and the song is mostly focused on the guitar (which is either continually soloing, or playing a very long, notey phrase over and over). If I concentrate somewhat, I can hear the pretty good bass in the background.

The whole thing cools down for a second around 3:16 with a twang on the guitar, and the guitar starts playing a different melody, again supported by an above average bass performance. The drums are starting to show off a bit towards the end as well, adding the odd extra flourish.

I like the impression of racing towards the end that the bass gives me, and the song pretty much fades out like that, though with a final sting from the guitar.

Well, I really liked the beginning, before the minute mark, and the rest was enjoyable, if not spectacular.

7/10, though I would've preferred it to carry on in the vein of the first minute.

Songs:
Blue Öyster Cult - Golden Age of Leather (Classic rock)
Dog Fashion Disco - Headless or Vertigo Motel (Zappa/Bungle-esque carnival freak rock)

The syllek attacks
07-26-2004, 04:32 PM
dibs

revoked: winmx can't find any of those songs!

Bartender
07-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Try Soulseek?

That's what I use (unless they're on a site) to certify all of my suggestions available.

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 05:45 PM
dibs

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Bare with me. The download is 40% done, and continuing to move extremely slow. :(

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Dog Fashion Disco - Headless

~I've heard about this band, but have never checked them out before~

Starts off with powerful, distorted guitars. Pretty nice. At 27 seconds, the verse comes in. I love the keyboard in this. It really adds. I love the lyrics too. Strange. "I, I am coming to California kill you".
47 seconds, it changes to the powerful distorted guitars again, then going back to the original verse at somewhere before 1:00.
57 seconds, there's a flute mini-solo. It goes back to the original verse. Here's the chorus. I love the guitar in this part. The vocalist is quite good. Original.
2:00, it continues on with the heavy distorted guitars. 2:25, there's a little solo happening. Not technical, but it mixes well with the music.
And Wow! Is that a xylophone solo I hear?! Nice. Now the guitar and the xylophone are mixing together, which leads back to the chorus part with heavy distorted guitars. It repeats, this time with the vocalist singing. It's starting to end with under a minute to go. He's repeating the chorus.

Ends on a note, in which it just fades out. I digged that song. Very cool, and different at the same time.

I really liked the drumming in this song, along with the guitar. The bass was also quite good during the flute mini-solo, and further on. This band is definately different, and I was looking for that, when I heard you say they were Zappa/Mr. Bungle-ish.

8.5/10

Suggestions:

Galloglass - Dragons Revenge ( Power Metal )

Symphorce - Face of Pain ( Power Metal-ish__Not too much in this song )

Praxis - Cold Rolled and Iron Dub aka Cold Rolled / Iron Dub ( jazz fusion-ish experimental metal? )

Gordian Knot - Surround Me (progressive metal)

Reflection
07-26-2004, 09:05 PM
dibs

Edit- Can you give me some new ones? I can't find any of those.

Iai
07-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Damnit....people keep beating me to the dibs! Haha. Ah well, haven't really got the time now anyway.

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 10:06 PM
bump

Iai
07-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Deftone, if you're stuck, go back through the thread. I think there's still one you can get from a URL.

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 10:14 PM
No. If you dibs, you have to do the one above you, and you have to do THE RIGHT SONG :p.

Iai
07-26-2004, 10:27 PM
No. If you dibs, you have to do the one above you, and you have to do THE RIGHT SONG :p.

Well.

....meanie.
:rolleyes:

Mekkalayakay
07-26-2004, 11:07 PM
*bump*

It's the rules man.

And wouldn't you be pissed off if you did a big review, only to find out that the person who did your review did a different song intentionally, or did someone elses song altogether?

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Come on guys... I'm off to bed now. :wave:

blueyxd
07-27-2004, 05:26 AM
I'll go one, Praxis sounds interesting..

metallicarulesall
07-27-2004, 05:46 AM
boy i wish you would hurry up.....

blueyxd
07-27-2004, 06:16 AM
you can have this one, the download is going hell slow

metallicarulesall
07-27-2004, 06:29 AM
you can have this one, the download is going hell slow
ok thanks

metallicarulesall
07-27-2004, 06:30 AM
i guess im takin praxis

metallicarulesall
07-27-2004, 06:31 AM
theres no way im gonna get this one by the end of tomorrow...........Im 101 in queue

blueyxd
07-27-2004, 06:49 AM
heh, mine's only gone about 1.3 mb in 50 minutes. must be a cursed song or something..

metallicarulesall
07-27-2004, 06:51 AM
no kidding

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Bump. Guys. My AIM is mekkalayakay

I can send you any of the songs. :)

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Holy shit, somebody with AIM just IM me for the song...:)

Evil Clown Liquor
07-27-2004, 04:36 PM
I would try and call dibs but these seems like too notorious a song, I mean most of page is filled with comments about it!

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 04:49 PM
I found them all on SoulSeek... Everyone else should be able to.

But like I said, just IM me on AIM. Simple.

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 06:40 PM
*Bump*

Let's try this again. Here are the choices still.

Suggestions:

Praxis - Cold Rolled and Iron Dub aka Cold Rolled / Iron Dub ( fusion-ish experimental metal? )

Praxis - Seven Laws of Woo ( fusion-ish experimental metal? )

Buckethead - Machoto Mirago ( experimental metal [solo guitarist stuff] )

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 08:19 PM
*bump*

Dog Fashion Disco - Headless

~I've heard about this band, but have never checked them out before~

Starts off with powerful, distorted guitars. Pretty nice. At 27 seconds, the verse comes in. I love the keyboard in this. It really adds. I love the lyrics too. Strange. "I, I am coming to California kill you".
47 seconds, it changes to the powerful distorted guitars again, then going back to the original verse at somewhere before 1:00.
57 seconds, there's a flute mini-solo. It goes back to the original verse. Here's the chorus. I love the guitar in this part. The vocalist is quite good. Original.
2:00, it continues on with the heavy distorted guitars. 2:25, there's a little solo happening. Not technical, but it mixes well with the music.
And Wow! Is that a xylophone solo I hear?! Nice. Now the guitar and the xylophone are mixing together, which leads back to the chorus part with heavy distorted guitars. It repeats, this time with the vocalist singing. It's starting to end with under a minute to go. He's repeating the chorus.

Ends on a note, in which it just fades out. I digged that song. Very cool, and different at the same time.

I really liked the drumming in this song, along with the guitar. The bass was also quite good during the flute mini-solo, and further on. This band is definately different, and I was looking for that, when I heard you say they were Zappa/Mr. Bungle-ish.

8.5/10

Suggestions:

Praxis - Cold Rolled and Iron Dub aka Cold Rolled / Iron Dub ( jazz fusion-ish experimental metal? )

Praxis - Seven Laws of Woo ( fusion-ish experimental metal? )

Buckethead - Machoto Mirago ( experimental metal [solo guitarist stuff] )

Cryptopsy - Benedictine Convulsions ( Brutal Death Metal )

Reflection
07-27-2004, 08:51 PM
K I'll dibs this one, I actually managed to download the song.

Reflection
07-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Cryptopsy - Benedictine Convulsions

Ok, this song is pretty brutal. It's starts off with a mad drum beat with pounding double bass, and the vocalist comes in with his impossibly low growl setting the tone for the song. In comes the verse with the vocalist burping out words I am unable to decipher, this whole song is non-stop speed and chaos. I don't usually listen to straight death-metal songs (I listen to a lot of melodic death metal bands and metalcore that use vocals somewhat similar to Cryptosy's). In comes the guitar solo, which is what I was waiting for. I was wondering if the lead guitarist would be able to make the solo sound good at such speed but he pulls it off. The whole solo is pretty much what sounds like sweep arpeggios. Good stuff. The song ends with some more speed and ends abruptly.

Usually I find a lot of death metal to be boring since it can be monotonous and lacking of melody to me but this song I enjoyed. The drumming, lead guitar, and vocals ere outstanding.

8/10

Song Suggestion: (I'm not going to put very heavy stuff in for a change):

Thrice - A Subtle Dagger

Unearth - Zombie Autopilot

Iced Earth - 1776

black_sabbath634
07-27-2004, 09:09 PM
dibs on iced earth

black_sabbath634
07-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Iced earth 1776
the song starts with distorted guitars playing a power metal type riff. Right after that the rythm guitar starts playing a palm muted chugging riff, while another guitar plays a solo over it the solo is nothing incredible, but its good. then it goes back to the main riff again and another solo comes along. Then the rythm guitar plays another palm muted chgging riff. The song isnt too dinamic so far, instrumentals should be more dynamic or else they are boring. Now it changes ,at about 2 and a half minutes. Some sort of flute comes in and starts playing. The flute plays for another minute and then the song ends. Overall this song is o.k it has a cool sound, but since it is an instrumental it should be more dynamic. It preety much plays the same riffs over and over. So i give it a

6/10
suggestions
fatal tragedy/ dreamtheater
welcome to the macine/ pink floyd
thoughts without words/ shadows fall

Evil Clown Liquor
07-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Mel Dibson

Evil Clown Liquor
07-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Breathtaking. From the opening chord hit to the trippy solo at the end, the entire eight minutes of music I just heard was breathtaking. The version I downloaded was, unbeknownst to me, a live version, but it didn't detract from the experience. If anything it enhanced it.

Before I start, I just wanted to say I haven't heard much of the Floyd. I've always been meaning to give them a listen, but just never really got around to it. My friend lent me his Dark Side Of The Moon CD one time, but never took the time to check it out. I really regret that after listening to this song, I've missed out on these guys for so long. OK, onto the review...

Again, the version I downloaded was a live version, so they might have changed a couple bits here and there from the studio version, I wouldn't know, I didn't hear that version.

While listening to this song, I could just picture myself driving along a desolate road in the desert, alone at night with this tune blasting. It just had this amazing psychadelic groove to it, with a little blues thrown into the mix, especially at the beginning. The vocals were great too, not just because of the sound of them, but the lyrics were just... brilliant. The songwriting in this piece was top notch, and could only be topped by the guitar...

Now, about the guitar, if I didn't already play guitar, this song would definitely make me get off my rear and pick one up. In the first part of the song, the rythym guitar is just mesmerizing. Not only was the timing perfect and played soulfully, but the effects he's using is just... wow. The guitarist really knows how and when to use them, and it shows. It just immerses you into the song.

I also want to mention the bass playing. It is, as everything else in this song, smooth, groovy, and spellbinding. It seems like it maintains the same rythym throughout the entire length of the song, and is quite hypnotic. Perfect, like everything else.

There are also these great, hovering sense of tension throughout the song. There are points in the song, like at 5:50, where for a couple of seconds it sounds like the music is just about to explode... and then it settles right back down. This really kept me interested, and only helped to keep me immersed. Now to my favorite part of the song...

The solo. Oh my God the solo. What a perfect ending to a perfect song. It was almost like he fit the entire experience of the song, into a two minute solo. I really can't describe it without doing it enough justice. It was incredibly trippy first of all, and again, the effects used during it were incredible. It didn't sound like I was even listening to a guitar, more like something... other-wordly. (Not to sound corny...)

One word to describe this song?... Perfect. And I wouldn't just throw that word around. I've never heard a song which I would call literally perfect, but this song is. I plan on picking up DSOTM tomorrow.

Score: 10/10

P.S. While listening to the song, I had on my WinAmp Audio Visualization Studio, so that probably help the psychadelia factor. :cool:

Suggestions:

Opeth- Windowpane ( Melodic metal)
Primus- Hamburger Train (Instrumental Funk-Experimental Rock)
Presidents Of The U.S.A.- Body (Just-For-Fun Rock)
Tool- Lateralis (Brilliant...)

blueyxd
07-27-2004, 11:05 PM
That sounds really interesting.. do you know what live version it was? I wouldnt mind hearing it.. even the studio one too. From what I've heard of Pink Floyd, they are either hit or miss for me.

Mekkalayakay
07-27-2004, 11:28 PM
dibs :D

Wanker
07-27-2004, 11:33 PM
whats it gonna be!?>!?!

Evil Clown Liquor
07-27-2004, 11:49 PM
That sounds really interesting.. do you know what live version it was? I wouldnt mind hearing it.. even the studio one too. From what I've heard of Pink Floyd, they are either hit or miss for me.

The file I downloaded didn't mention it was live, so I don't really know what version. However, I'm sure the studio version does the song justice, though I think I'd probably prefer the live version I did my review off of.

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Primus- Hamburger Train

Starts off with somebody saying something about a hamburger train. Then leads into this sweet bass line with the drums mixing in very well, creating this jungle-like awesome effect. Then there's a wailing guitar in the background. Primus baby :cool:
That bass line is awesome. There's a lot of ambient-like effects. I think it's the guitar, with either strange effects, or it was done with the producing.
Basically the same stuff, with different effects done over it. Right around the 2 minute mark, there's some nice effects going on.
Always beats me how Primus and Buckethead get their weird song names. :amaze:
As I said, it's basically the same stuff, with weird effects layered over it. Sounds badass.
4:45, it changes a bit. Bass line changes, and the guitar is doing some weird shit.
Bass line changed again for a bit, now it's back to the original. I really want to find out what that guy is using to do those effects to his guitar, man. That's badass.

Around 6:00, he starts going into a higher pitched bass type riff, then goes lower.

Around 6:25, it's just the bass, and very silent drums. It starts getting louder again. Great effects on this song. Much respect goes out to whoever produced this.

That was an awesome instrumental. I loved every minute of it man.

Overall rating: 9/10

Suggestions:

Planet X - Micronesia ( virtuoso metal-fusion )
Galloglass - Dragons Revenge ( power/fantasy metal )
The Gathering - Great Ocean Road ( more of a slower, soothing rock-ish song)

NJMetalMeister
07-28-2004, 12:31 AM
dibs

NJMetalMeister
07-28-2004, 12:55 AM
I chose to do the galloglass song because i remember listening to them once, a few months back, and thinking they were okay, but nothing too extravigant, but this seemed like a good opportunity to give them a second chance.

so without further adieu:
Galloglass - Dragons Revenge

Obligitory power metal synth intro.

The song starts off fast, with a long held vocal note, the way i like my power metal. The vocalist sounds very remniscent of Rhapsody, but this singer seems to have more of a range, and less of an accent, big plus.

Pre-chorus is short, uses chior vocals, nicely done. Followed off by a very catchy chorus that switches between chior vocals and the main vocalist.

A simple guitar lead bridge follows, and then the second verse, same as the first (different words though, haha im funny). Prechorus and chorus again. Same deal.

The song then breaks down, and a guitar lead ensues, which turns into a solo. It isn't a super fast shredding solo at first, but it wouldn't fit. The song speeds up to some sweep picking. The solo doesn't stand out as anything exceptional, but it is well played, and the harmonization in it is done nicely. There are a lot of bands out there that don't know how to harmonize guitars during solos.

The lead bridge comes back in that was after the first chorus, and then another verse. Prechorus and chorus again. The chorus repeats itself, but there is an inrease in pitch in all the instruments by about a third it sounds. Pretty standard, but always works well to end a song.

Overall: guitar work is pretty on par for power metal, the drumming is slightly faster than your average power metal band but still on par. The bass is not too noticeable, but that isn't a problem per say. The vocalist however knows how to work within his own range very well, as well as knowing exactly what notes to hit when. I enjoy him quite a bit. The use of the chior vocals is a nice touch too. Definately nice solid power metal, and listening to this, i'm really not sure why I dismissed this band so readily the first time through.

Rating: 8/10 - Reccomended to all fans of power metal

For my next trick:
Melechesh - Genies, Sorcerers and Mesopotamian Nights (Black metal with Mesopotamian lyrical themes and a very interesting, different, and almost strange drumming style especially for black metal)
Solefald - Nutrisco Et Extingo (really hard to classify the album this was on, previous solefald albums were like avant garde black metal, this is barely even metal, but doesn't sound like rock of any kind either. Strange stuff in a way. Great vocals though)
Vintersorg - A Sphere in a Sphere (to infinity) [pretty much prog stuff without all the weird time signatures, but it does feature some nice bass work by Mr. Steve Digiorgio, oh and all vintersorg lyrics are about astrophysics, so dont be surprised if even though you can easily make out what hes saying, you don't understand a word of it]

black_sabbath634
07-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Breathtaking. From the opening chord hit to the trippy solo at the end, the entire eight minutes of music I just heard was breathtaking. The version I downloaded was, unbeknownst to me, a live version, but it didn't detract from the experience. If anything it enhanced it.

Before I start, I just wanted to say I haven't heard much of the Floyd. I've always been meaning to give them a listen, but just never really got around to it. My friend lent me his Dark Side Of The Moon CD one time, but never took the time to check it out. I really regret that after listening to this song, I've missed out on these guys for so long. OK, onto the review...

Again, the version I downloaded was a live version, so they might have changed a couple bits here and there from the studio version, I wouldn't know, I didn't hear that version.

While listening to this song, I could just picture myself driving along a desolate road in the desert, alone at night with this tune blasting. It just had this amazing psychadelic groove to it, with a little blues thrown into the mix, especially at the beginning. The vocals were great too, not just because of the sound of them, but the lyrics were just... brilliant. The songwriting in this piece was top notch, and could only be topped by the guitar...

Now, about the guitar, if I didn't already play guitar, this song would definitely make me get off my rear and pick one up. In the first part of the song, the rythym guitar is just mesmerizing. Not only was the timing perfect and played soulfully, but the effects he's using is just... wow. The guitarist really knows how and when to use them, and it shows. It just immerses you into the song.

I also want to mention the bass playing. It is, as everything else in this song, smooth, groovy, and spellbinding. It seems like it maintains the same rythym throughout the entire length of the song, and is quite hypnotic. Perfect, like everything else.

There are also these great, hovering sense of tension throughout the song. There are points in the song, like at 5:50, where for a couple of seconds it sounds like the music is just about to explode... and then it settles right back down. This really kept me interested, and only helped to keep me immersed. Now to my favorite part of the song...

The solo. Oh my God the solo. What a perfect ending to a perfect song. It was almost like he fit the entire experience of the song, into a two minute solo. I really can't describe it without doing it enough justice. It was incredibly trippy first of all, and again, the effects used during it were incredible. It didn't sound like I was even listening to a guitar, more like something... other-wordly. (Not to sound corny...)

One word to describe this song?... Perfect. And I wouldn't just throw that word around. I've never heard a song which I would call literally perfect, but this song is. I plan on picking up DSOTM tomorrow.

Score: 10/10

P.S. While listening to the song, I had on my WinAmp Audio Visualization Studio, so that probably help the psychadelia factor. :cool:

Suggestions:

Opeth- Windowpane ( Melodic metal)
Primus- Hamburger Train (Instrumental Funk-Experimental Rock)
Presidents Of The U.S.A.- Body (Just-For-Fun Rock)
Tool- Lateralis (Brilliant...)

dark side of.... is great, in fact its ****ing great, but if you want some songs the same style as this one you should get wish you were here. Actually you should get them both

NJMetalMeister
07-28-2004, 10:27 AM
biggity biggity bump

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Alright, I'm on dibs for now, but I'm way, way back in the queue line, so give me a while. I'll tell you if things aren't going to well. :)

Dancin' Man
07-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Does Soulseek cost money?

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 02:01 PM
No. And it's very useful.

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Melechesh - Genies, Sorcerers and Mesopotamian Nights

I picked this song because your explanation on them sounded really interesting, and I am a fan of bands that do things a bit different than everybody else, whether it be the guitar, bass, or drums in this case.

The song starts out on just one note, and gradually goes into this Middle Eastern sounding riff. You are right, the drumming is quite different, especially for a black metal band. Not comparing skill level here, I'd say this is the black metal version of System of a Down.
The first verse is badass. It goes into what appears to be a pre-chorus. I'm liking the bass, and I can actually here it without trying hard.
Back to the first verse. This guys voice sounds similar to the guy from Sodom's, which is definately a plus.
Chorus: Very nice. It went back to the first verse, and now what appears to be a bridge, and a higher pitched scream. Now back to the first verse. I'm sensing a possible solo coming up. 3:15, his voice changed, or possibly a different vocalist? Or just him doing lower vocals.
Middle Eastern solo-ish guitar riff here. I don't know where it is going here. Simple, but I'm a fan of Middle Eastern influenced stuff, and this solo fits well.
Now, I'm guessing another possible bridge. There's a weird jungle/middle eastern like drumbeat, and very distorted guitars, gradually getting higher in tune.
It kicks off with badass guitars. Now it's back to the original verse. The chorus now. I love the drumming in this part. Hell, I like the drumming in the whole song. It's definately different. This is quite possibly the most different black metal band I've really ever heard. It's like a hybrid band. Mini-solo just happened.
Back to the original verse. 6:14, his voice got lower, and sounds layered, creating a miniture-army type effect. It ends on a note, and fades out.

Conclusion: I'm really digging this band. I'm going to check out more from them. Their Middle Eastern sound is nothing original. Sounds like a few other bands I've heard before, but mixing it with black metal is almost genius. I'm sure there are other black metal bands out there that do this, but it is definately a plus. The guitar was nothing too technical, which isn't a bad thing. Neither was the drumming or bass, but that's not what matters the most. I'll definately check out more of there stuff.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Suggestions:

Planet X - Micronesia ( Progressive virtuoso Metal fusion [ lots of stuff with keyboards] )

Praxis - Seven Laws of Woo ( metal guitar solo-ish stuff. Buckethead side-project. You can hear jazz roots in a lot of their songs, but not too much this one )

Gordian Knot - Surround Me ( Progressive Rock )

Bartender
07-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Dibs for me.

Bartender
07-28-2004, 04:47 PM
I've got a vague idea of what to expect; haven't heard any Planet X previously, but I've heard people talk about them.
Planet X - Micronesia - 5:56

Starts off with a hollow sounding instrument (could well be many things, probably a guitar or keyboard), playing a simple little melody, which is then taken up, for one repetition, by piano. I really like that as an intro. Other instruments join in around 0:30. The drums are keeping it simple, as is the whole song, really, just following that same melody.

1:17 or so, over a barrage of synth/keys, I can for the first time confidently identify a guitar, playing in a tone slightly heavy for the song. This is another rather difficult song to review. To be honest there doesn't seem to be much happening, it's just the same couple of phrases over and over, and there aren't even any lyrics or vocals to be commenting on.

I've little idea what the main instrument being used is; it could just as easily be guitar, keyboard, synths, or just something entirely different that I don't know. Around 3:45, the part played in the introduction is played again, and built upon a little. The piano comes in agian, which I like - the piano's part has been one of my favourites in this song so far.

4:55, and we get a guitar solo. This is something I'm more familiar with, and can talk about a little. It's good; not lightning fast, but fairly complicated, and suitably widdly, so I like it. It's a good way to end the song.

Well, it was roughly what I expected, though with a lot more synth (or synthesised/electronically altered guitar). I really liked the intro, and any time that the piano appeared, and I liked the solo leading the song out as well. On the other hand, the rest didn't interest me greatly, which isn't good for a six minute song.

For most of the track, I was thinking a 5, maybe even 4, despite the good introduction, but the reappearance of the piano, and the guitar solo at the end, take it up to a 6/10.

Songs:
Cryptopsy - Phobophile (brutal death, with a piano) or Orgiastic Disembowelment (brutal death, with an Ash quote at the end)

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 06:07 PM
*bump*

I'd take it, but I couldn't find Arghoslent or Axis of Perdition, while I've already heard Blue Oyster Cult and Cryptopsy.

Bartender
07-28-2004, 06:33 PM
More:
Cynic - How Could I (Ultra-technical jazz-fusion/death metal)
Sonata Arctica - Letter to Dana or Wolf & Raven (power metal)
Theory in Practice - Colonising the Sun or This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Both of Us (technical death metal, fair amount of keyboards)

I'm Kanadarius on Soulseek (Bartender was taken :(), but I've got a slow connection. Anyone's welcome to use it though.

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Nice. dibs then

Per Ardua Ad Astra
07-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Oh, I wanted the Cynic :(

Bartender
07-28-2004, 07:59 PM
You've already heard it :)

Per Ardua Ad Astra
07-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Hehehe :)

Mekkalayakay
07-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Double Review

Cynic - How Could I

Starts off with a weird little keyboard intro. A few seconds later, another synth sound comes in on top of that. At 35 seconds, the guitar and drumming comes in. The first verse came. The Guitar and drumming is quite technical. The vocalist blends well too. There is also a synthesized voice in the background saying random bits. "imagination"
You were right. This song is very technical.
2:07, it quiets down with another keyboard song, switching in and out between heavy guitars and the keyboard.
2:39, it changes, and goes back to the original intro for a bit. Then it gets a bit jazzy with some nice bass, and a badass guitar solo. Very interesting band, mixing jazz and death metal. I'm liking it.
Chorus comes back in, with the synthesized voice, followed by growling. Very technical drumming through here at 3:20-ish. Now the vocals are switching back between the synth voice and the main vocalist. Another guitar solo at 3:51. High pitched, complicated, and it goes very well with chords in the background. It slowly starts to fade out with the same solo, getting quieter and quieter, until it fades out at 5:29.

Conclusion: I enjoyed that. I'm usually not a fan of stuff so technical to where it takes away the point of it being music, but this song was amazing. Everything mixed together well, and it was well written. All the instrumentalists were amazing, along with the vocalist.

Overall Rating : 9/10

Theory in Practice - This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us

Starts off with this nice keyboard intro. Weird synthed voices come in :confused: Not sure what it is, but it has a nice effect.
The guitar came in, and the drumming. The vocals are weird. I'm not really liking his voice, but the music is good. 57 seconds, there's a nice guitar riff.
Back to the first verse. The same chords, with the keyboards in the background.
1:23, I'm liking this part. The guitar is doing this nice riff. 1:35, it adds on with a badass guitar solo. Now this part is amazing. Guitars and solos overlayered everywhere.
The vocalist starts singing again, with a different riff. Back to the chorus "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us". The guitar riff changes again. It's coming to an end. It ends with a big raspy scream, and haha, a little keyboard chord at the end.

The only thing that ruined it for me was the vocalist. His voice just didn't really fit the music for me, and it's just raspy. I mean, ah...I don't know how to say it. Not raspy as in Black metal raspy, but just, almost annoying.

Other than that, the music was amazing.

Overall Rating: 7.5/10

Suggestions:

Arsis - Dust and Guilt (Black/death metal)
System of a Down - War (Middle Eastern influenced experimental Nu-metal )

If you can't find the Arsis song, you'll easily find the SOAD one.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
07-28-2004, 08:09 PM
I have a question on the song "How Could I?"
I've been wondering this for a while now, i'm pretty sure that the opening is the powertab of the actually song. I know that on the site they have all the powertabs, so my theory is that the intro is the powertab. Can anyone confirm this?

NJMetalMeister
07-29-2004, 01:22 AM
I would do it if i wasn't very well acquainted with both of those songs, and very biased for both of them too.

Mekkalayakay
07-29-2004, 02:12 AM
*Bump*

iamme4906
07-29-2004, 02:54 AM
dibs on war

iamme4906
07-29-2004, 03:08 AM
i downloaded this song first just to make sure i hadnt heard it before putting a dibs on it, and to my suprise i havent heard it.

It starts with a cool little guitar intro that lasts about 10 secs. After that it blasts into a driving guitar riff that leads into the first verse. The verse has cool vocals with the rest of the band playing between Serj's lyrics.

The chorus has the same riff as after the intro. After two verses and choruses it goes into a slower part with a pretty simple, but cool sounding, guitar part. After that it reapeats the chorus a couple of times and then the song ends rather suddenly.

9/10

My Picks:
SOAD = P.L.U.C.K. or Mind
Static-X = Permenance or Love Dump
KoRn = Dead Bodies Everywhere or All In The Family

manuscriptreplica
07-29-2004, 05:47 AM
System of a Down - P.L.U.C.K

I've never minded a bit of SOAD, I even own one of their albums. Anyway. This song is quite heavy and fast, and is quite decent. It starts off with a little guitar riff, which is ok. This other guitar starts playing a fast, bassy riff over the top of that. Then that riff is played, with loads of toms from the drums. Then a total nuts bit on the drums, when he just hits everything as fast as he can. It's awesome. I don't really like his voice; it is a bit whiny. I like the technical feel of the whole song. There's lots of different parts to the song, it's a credit to the band that they fit so many different feels into a short song (3:30). Overall, an enjoyable, heavy piece by SOAD. I probably should pull Toxicity out and give it another listen.

8/10.

--------

Repulsion - Bodily Dismemberment (Grindcore)
Dark Angel - Perish in Flames (Thrash)
Torture Squad - Horror and Torture (Death/Thrash) mp3's can be found here: http://www.mit.edu/~levente/mp3s/Torture%20Squad%20-%202003%20-%20Pandemonium/

manuscriptreplica
07-29-2004, 06:32 AM
*bump*

Bartender
07-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Dibs. Really tempted to do the Torture Squad one and just pretend I've never heard it, but I guess I'll take the opportunity to check out Dark Angel.

manuscriptreplica
07-29-2004, 06:44 AM
^^ Hehe... You won't regret it.

Bartender
07-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, I know I like thrash, but this is my first Dark Angel experience.
Dark Angel - Perish in Flames - 4:49

Starts off with a riff full of thrashy goodness, as expected, and with some pretty cool double bass. The vocals come in, and they've got an echo effect on them. Wow, unexpectedly high at the end of the verse, nice.

I like the vocalist, lots of thrash bands seem tome to fall down on vocals, but this guy's got the right mix of clean, high pitched, and growling, so I like it. I like the drummer as well, filling in quick rolls after each verse line.

2:05 or so and we get a solo. It's not earth-shattering, but it's very good, and long (ending around 2:48). The whole thing slows down a bit then, and there's a good emphasis on the double bass.

Around 3:33, the guitars start thrashing again, and the drums and vocals soon kick back in. For the first time I'm noticing the bass, and again it's good, very fast. A big, grandiose finishing, with a short change in riff and then dramatic drumming to bring it down to a stop.

8.5/10 Top class thrash, makes me want to find Darkness Descends even more.

Songs:
Cryptopsy - Phobophile (brutal death, with a piano) or Orgiastic Disembowelment (brutal death, with an Ash quote at the end)
Burzum - War (black metal with a catchy riff)

manuscriptreplica
07-29-2004, 08:06 AM
^^ The drummer is none other than Gene Hoglan.

Cryptopsy - Phobophile

Great song, but I have no idea why people consider it one of the best Cryptopsy songs. They have so much better stuff. The opening is great, almost classical, and is very haunting, very unlike Cryptopsy, very unlike any death metal band at that. The bassline (which is very cool) is almost as haunting - the guitar sounds make it more interesting. After that, we get typical Cryptopsy - the Worm screaming, and everyone going nuts. Flo Mournier is one of my favourite drummers, and in this song, it's not hard to see why. He goes absolutely nuts. The guitar solo is great, one of their best. Overall, a great, heavy song, but Cryptopsy have so much better.

8.5/10

Burzum - War

This is my first Burzum song, so I didn't really know what to expect. Well, I didn't expect this, at all! Apart from Varg's wailing lyrics (which I don't really like that much) it's not like any other black metal I've heard, it sounds almost Slayer-ish speed metal. The guitar riff is pretty cool. The opening is the epitome of cool... "This is... Huh! War!" The whole song after that is the same guitar riff (which is very catchy) and Varg wailing incoherently. Oh wait, there is a slight variation about 1:15 for about 3 seconds. And he stops singing for a while. Apparantly his songs are quite long, thankfully this one isn't, it's slightly repetitive. It's a perfect length. The guitar solos are awesome. Now I think of it, it's slightly Venom-ish in the black metal style. It's awesome though, and I will definately be getting my hands on some more Burzum.

7.5/10.

--------

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (Technical Death)
Torture Squad - Horror and Torture (Death/Thrash) mp3's can be found here: http://www.mit.edu/~levente/mp3s/To...%20Pandemonium/

Bartender
07-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Bump, so others know the review is done.

superpeer
07-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Link is dead, Manuscript.

superpeer
07-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Dibs, btw

For the repulsion song, since I've already heard atheist and the link doesn't work.

superpeer
07-29-2004, 01:35 PM

I'm not a very big grindcore fan, but some stuff I can appreciate, so I'm curious for this one.

Powerful opening Riff, then merges with the drums and becomes gradually heavier.

Very cool drumming, got my feet 'double bassing' on the floor. The vocals come in and they're quite silent in the mix. They're not too bad. The riff stays the same and I hear a very sloppy solo being played, despite of the sloppiness it's good, since it fits the song well. The drumming is really amazing, I wonder if it's not altered in the studio, the man sounds like a drum machine.

An abrupt end to an obviously short song (ever heard a long grind song?), the production was pretty raw, but that's how it has to be for this kind of song, not very riff changing, but that's not really necessary in a short song like this, the drumming was amazing and if it's all real, my hat off to that man.

Good song. 8/10

My songs :

Testament - Practice what you Preach (Thrash, with an amazing solo)

Emperor - Beyond the Great vast forest (Symphonic Black Metal)

Amon amarth - Amon Amarth (Melodic Death Metal/viking)

suspect
07-29-2004, 02:02 PM
dibs

suspect
07-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Testament - Practice what you preach

Cool intro riff, I like the distortion. Pickslides in the backround add to the atmosphere. The intro is a bit long though imo.

Singing enters, he has an ok voice but not great. I like the lyrics though, guitars in the background provide a cool riff, drumming is simple but good. It makes me headbang and that's all I ask from a thrash song. I like the chorus, it adds power to the song.

Augh solo enters, some weird vibrato going on, then it turns fast, very nice. Very skilled guitarist/s. Wow its long. I'm loving it. Tapping? Nice nice! Man, whoever this dude is he is very talented. Ah, what would a trash solo be without whammy abuse? There it ends, new riff enters with a harmonized lead. This is my favourite riff so far.

Singing comes again, as before not great but not bad either. Here's the chorus, which I like. Some faint guitar screams in the background, which I'm a huge fan off. Here it ends.

Good song, very skilled guitarists and some good drumming going on. I could almost not hear the bass though, but that could be my headset. Singer was ok.

7.5/10

Opeth - A Fair Judgement
Helloween - Halloween
In Flames - Everlost Part 2

Mekkalayakay
07-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Revoked. My Soulseek is acting up.

suspect
07-29-2004, 03:46 PM
dump. er... i mean bump: )

Dancin' Man
07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Dibs I'll go for In Flames

Dancin' Man
07-29-2004, 04:46 PM
In Flames - Everlost Part 2

I really like the 12 string acoustic. It sets a cool mood. The womans voice fits really well. It's a fantasy metal feel almost. It seems like it belongs on a soundtrack to Braveheart or something. The solo is mixed really well. I like how it is almost backround. It's not too technical and makes a gret outro. I hate the fade out. It's such a wussy way to end a song. That is the biggest flaw.

Not terribly original but nice to hear. Fairly predictable. Sort of a strange choice it seems but it works.

I like how the song is not too long as it would get boring. It seems like it would make a great interlude track on the album. Kind of a mood shifter. I think I'm going to go download somemore In Flames now.

7/10

Loudermilk - Mai
My Vitriol - Infantile
Ours - In a Minute

black_sabbath634
07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
revoked

Mekkalayakay
07-29-2004, 06:41 PM
*bump* revoked...Couldn't find any of those.

manuscriptreplica
07-29-2004, 08:31 PM
http://www.mit.edu/~levente/mp3s/

That's the link, if anyone is still interested. It's got about 5 or so full albums to download.

Dancin' Man
07-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Wierd. I originally found all 3 of those just browsing LimeWire and I know that Soulseek has My Vitriol.

superpeer
07-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Bump

Mekkalayakay
07-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Bump

StreetlightRock
07-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Ours - In a minute

Cool intro, catchy and then changes to a constant sorta *ching ching* thing (a very high chord). Simple Drumming. Vocals come in, clean, And little guitar strums in the background. Its building up now, the drums going a bit harder and now its comes back to the intro riff. Nice to just shake your leg along to. The guys vocals are intresting, a soft of soft mellow shouting. Then back to the intro riff. I wish the bass line was more pronounced. Again the high chord, this time interchanging between two chords. Its a simple song, but like i said, its quite catchy and cool to just bop to. The drumming is very light,
a nice like *ting* on the cymbals. The lyrics arnt great but they do. 'I can be these thing,s in a minute, dont you get it?' lots of 'In a minute's which is guess is to be expected but yea. It sorta slows down at the end and leaves you with a 'hanging' chord, like a chord that needs another right after it to sound compleatly right, but that whats it ment to be tho.

Overall a decent song, a little too slow and mellow for me, and if anything, catchy.

rating: 7.5/10

my songs:

Brain Setzar Orchestra - Switchblade 327
Brain Setzar Orchestra - Cat on a hot tin roof (Both blues rock)

DVG.

BassDialated
07-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Revoked: only found one of the songs and had around 100 queued.

Bartender
07-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Dibs, then.

Bartender
07-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Pretty much no experience of this band before.
The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - 2:18

Starts off with lively guitar/trumpets? intro, complete with an electric guitar mini-solo, which I like. The vocals come in, quick, clean and slightly sleazy. Fairly meaningless good-time lyrics about a cat on a hot tin roof (drinking that whiskey, 96 proof).

After that, we get a little bit of the intro, before a longer electric solo, which I really like. Some quick picking, with trumpets in the background, leads into another frantically fast verse about cats and dogs.

1:37, there's a short, sleazy bridge, with subdued, but quick, guitar in the background, and the vocals dropped a little in tone. Stings of trumpet after each repetition of "this cat" heightens the sense of fun, before the song ends with an outro very similar to the intro at the start.

8/10 That was really good. Really lively and fun, the kind of thing I imagine I'd dance to, if I danced to anything. Pretty much pure fun.

Songs:
Cryptopsy - Orgiastic Disembowelment (brutal death, with an Ash quote at the end)
Xavier Rudd - 9 Times a Day (roots rock, apparently - shamelessly stolen from another FL when I enjoyed it there)

Bartender
07-30-2004, 10:57 PM
One bump, before I go to bed.

NJMetalMeister
07-30-2004, 10:58 PM
dibs

NJMetalMeister
07-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Axis of perdition - A Ruined Nation Awakens

Now first off, I am a sucker for good industrial, now that that is out of the way, on to the actual song.

There is a hell of a lot of reverb on the drums, but the intro is good. The drums change up a bit so that even though the guitar doesnt change tempo, the song does.

Then the verse comes in, very fast and ridiculous. I'm not a big fan of the vocals, but the music is pretty good. The weird sample after the vocals stop in the verse rules a lot. The vocals come back in, they are quite low volume wise, so the fact that i dont enjoy them is hidden pretty easily by the rest of the music.

The drums cease and we hear a bridge of some sort, and back into another blastbeat style verse part kinda. The cool samples follow again. And another verse comes around, the vocals during this verse kinda remind me of Today is the Day a little bit.

The drums cease for another bridge with cymbal hits keeping the time every measure or so. There is a broken down part sorta after this, and the quick stop starting of the bass drum is really neat. The song fades out on a staticy sample.

Overall: the song was kinda boring. The guitar tone was too fuzzy for such a clean sounding drum machine. Made the notes hard to distinguish at times. As i mentioned before i didn't like the vocals much. In my opinion it could have used a little more sampling as well. It wasn't terrible, but it was nothing I would really go out of my way to listen to.

5/10 - Worth listening to once

Edit: forgot to reccomend stuff, so here we go

Gordian Knot - A shaman's whisper (Instrumental prog, this song has the entire lineup of Cynic)
Karaboudjan - Den Svarta On (weird instrumental metal with samples in the place of vocals, and lots of distorted basses, and this song features a Steel Drum part, a brain demon of the mighty Dan Swanö)
Necrophagist - Culinary Hyperversity (brutal technical death metal from germany)

BassDialated
07-31-2004, 12:27 AM
Dibs

BassDialated
07-31-2004, 02:53 AM
Gordian Knot - A Shaman's Whisper

It starts out nicley, with the guitar, and a very nice beat then about 20 seconds into the song, im not sure but I think I hear the bongos, it adds a nice touch. A bit after the bongos there is a nice guitar solo, its still staying at a soft, rock nothing hardcore. The drums are also keeping a nice beat through out the song. Around 2 minutes it begins to become repetative for me, and lacks any lyrics at all, It does have a nice mix of instraments. At 3:07 into the song they add in bongos agian and nice mix with the guitar. And then fades out to 6:30.

So far the song is very relaxing, it has a very creative mix of instraments, and the guitar keeps a nice clean sound to it through out most of the song. But it does lack any lyrics at all. Very calm song, something I would listen to to relax too.

I give this song a 7/10

Suggestions

My Chemical Romance - Thanks for the Venom
My Chemical Romance - Demolition Lovers
Muse - Hysteria
Taproot - Poem

Bartender
07-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Dibs.

Bartender
07-31-2004, 07:09 AM
I know vaguely the kind of music these guys make, haven't heard anything though.
My Chemical Romance - Thank You For the Venom - 3:41

Starts with a fairly fast-paced guitar part, which I rather like, soon joined by the other instruments. Argh, when his voice first comes in, it sounds terrible, totally out of tune. It soon calms down, but I still don't like it that much, although all the "ooooooh"s are kinda catchy.

The chorus didn't impress me, it sounded too much like a normal pop-rock/punk catchy chorus, except it wasn't that catchy. The verse is better though. The shouts from other band members in the background make me think of AFI, actually.

Around 2:40, the instruments drop off except for some quieter guitar, but soon jumps back into that chorus. Ends on the same note as it started, with that guitar I liked.

Well, despite thinking throughout the song that I didn't like it, at the end I'm left feeling pretty good about it, somehow. I probably wouldn't listen to anything else by them though.

6/10

Songs:
Cryptopsy - Orgiastic Disembowelment (brutal death, with an Ash quote at the end)
Xavier Rudd - 9 Times a Day (roots rock, apparently - shamelessly stolen from another FL when I enjoyed it there)

StreetlightRock
07-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Xavier Rudd - 9 Times a Day

Starts off with a acoustic guitar thing, some wierd technique he uses, its like finger popping and slaping the strings with his thumb and plucking at the same time. No durms, and somewhere lalong the line there is a hint of Bass somewhere. Its a very nice sort semi-bouncy Australian country tune. The tune stays the same for quite a while with slight variations in the poping and stuff. Vocals come in, It seems to me hes got an Australian accent, although i cant be sure. The guitar changes slightly when the voclas do, a few chords, but only for a few seconds. Then the chorus, slightly softer, variation with the guitar, but on the same basic tune still.

It goes quiet and the guitar, a bass drum ( simple *dum dum dum*) and a bass. More pace here. Its possable there now two guitars, but i cant be sure. Nice to shake your body to, not dance tho. Goes on for a bit, then there a bit where the guitars lose their poping thing and just do chords. Goes really soft, then loud"ish" again. Ack. He does a sort of VERY mellow/raspy shout, which goes, but sounds freaky. Its got a bit of Echo. More popping and an abrupt stop.

oh yea, it happens to be a live version.

Well. I liked it. It sounded like a roughed up Jack Johnson song, with SLIGHTLY harder vocals. The tune, although very repeditive throughout the entire song, is redeemed by the little variations here and there that makes it much better. Its catchy, something that can go on in my head long after ive heard the song... probably. Its not what im used to, but its got a thing about it which i like. its hard to say. The only durms there are is a single bass drum going dub dub dub thorughout the whole song, but its effective and probably if there was anything more it would ruin the song.

Overall rating: 7.85/10

Songs:

Faith No More - Epic (Rock)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Mr. Saturday Night Special. (Classic Rock)
Nine Inch Nails - Wish (Industrial Metal)

DVG.

Bartender
07-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Bump.

Dancin' Man
07-31-2004, 01:16 PM
Dibs.

Dancin' Man
07-31-2004, 01:28 PM
Faith No More - Epic

I've never heard them beforew and don't know what to expect.

Kinda cool intro. I like the synth and the ascending guitar. Oh god.....The vocals suck. It's like a bad beastie boys impersonator. Lyrics blow. The chorus....I have heard this song before. I still like the synth but the voice is super annoying. Second verse same annoying lyrics and vocals but a cool guitar thing in the backround. Chorus again. Cool guitar in back. Verse I really like that guitar thing in the back at the end of the verses. Gah! It's so repetitive! Kind of a solo here. Really simple but it sounds good. Ah octave guitars this is cool. When The singer shuts up and just lets the guitarist(s) go at it, it is cool. Of course, back to verse-chorus. Another sort of bridge/solo with the vocals in the back. The piano at the end is an awesome ending. This song had it's moment but overall it sucked the big one. I am very disappointed.
2/10 The ending an guitars are what gave it a number at all.

A Perfect Circle - The Noose (Lots of strings in this alt rock)
Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place (alt/prog/electronica)

Dancin' Man
07-31-2004, 02:27 PM
teh bump

Evil Clown Liquor
07-31-2004, 11:51 PM
Bumpinson

black_sabbath634
08-01-2004, 12:32 AM
revoked, im 2 tierd

StreetlightRock
08-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Bump.

DVG.

manuscriptreplica
08-01-2004, 08:48 AM
un-dibs. There was 170 users on Kazaa for the APC song, yet I wasn't able to download it. I'm writing to Kazaa to let them have a piece of my mind.

superpeer
08-01-2004, 10:27 AM
dibs.

superpeer
08-01-2004, 11:25 AM
A Perfect Circle - The Noose

Usually I'm not a big fan of Tool or APC, but I'm willing to give this a try :

A very soft intro, with some sort of echo effect, quite symphonic. The drums sound industrial for some reason, the vocals come in, I don't like them too much. They're not bad, but they're quite whiney, reminds me of the vocalist from Staind. The verse isn't too bad, but like I said, the vocalist whines too much. I'm liking the music though.
The piano gets mixed in well and I like that.
The drums change, not bad, but the song is getting a bit repetitive. The vocals are ruining the song, in my opinion.

The song gets heavier at around 3:45, this is a nice part and the vocals aren't too bad in this part. But it's still the same structure as the rest of the song. But this is probably the highlight of the song.

I was thinking 4 or 5 for this song, but the heavier part and the intro brought it to :

6/10.

Unfortunately I still haven't changed my mind about APC/TOOL.

My songs :

Emperor - Beyond the great vast forest (Symphonic Black Metal)
Old Man's Child - Black seeds on virgin soil (Melodic Black Metal)
Arcturus - Wintry Grey (Symphonic BLack Metal)

There's no escaping from the black metal now. :evil:

suspect
08-01-2004, 11:26 AM
dibs

suspect
08-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Old Man's Child - Black seeds on virgin soil

First off let me say I hate black metal, so this might be a bit biased:)

It starts off with an acoustic intro, nice, then drums enter and distorted guitars. Everything seems a bit out of place imo, like their not playing the same song.

Piano enters with double bass drums and I like this. After a little while it goes over to some hard drumming with a pretty cool guitar riff. I like the guys voice when he growls, it reminds me of death metal growling. Drums are still going strong, wtf is this a drum machine?

New part of the song, pretty melodic and after a little while a nice solo enters, with some nice fast parts. Back to growling. I really like how this band doesn't follow the stereotypes of black metal, everything isn't tremolo picked for one and the vocals aren't shrieks, but more deep growls. Some weird effect on his vocals now, sounds like a phaser?

Piano enters again, this is pretty cool, drums are INCREDIBLE , that guy is insane. Song fades out.

I must say that I was pleasently surprised, this was more like melodic death then black metal. I'm definetely going to download some more songs of them.
8/10

Nightwish - Romanticide(Symphonic Metal)
Children of Bodom - Angels don't kill(Power/Black metal)

Per Ardua Ad Astra
08-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Dibs

EDIT: UNDIBS
My soulseek is being extremely gay. Sorry.

MikeNeasy
08-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Dibs

Bass Space
08-01-2004, 12:54 PM
i dont know why no one has said nirvana yet but the Xeyed smily face if cool and the classic font is awsome :thumb:

Bartender
08-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Wrong thread, I think.

Bass Space
08-01-2004, 01:02 PM
ya just noticed lmao

MikeNeasy
08-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Nightwish- Romanticide

The song starts right off with the guitar and drums. Shortly followed by what sounds like a synthesizer (sp) and what sounds like a druid chant. Next what sounds like a woman singing comes in. She has a good voice, and it seems to fit the song really well. I can't help being focused on her voice it is really good.
Around 2:50 there is a solo it is pretty good as well. Then the girl comes back in on vocals and I loose my ability to focus on the rest of the song again. Another solo followed by a deeper voice singing. I think it is a man, but it could still be the girl. Nope I hear her again. The song ends here, but I think the download I got sucked. I really liked what I heard though.
I would give it a 7/10. I was surprised to hear such a good voice in the song.
Black Label Society-Life, Birth, Blood, Doom (Hard Rock)
Damage Plan-Save Me (Metal)
Iron Maiden- Hallowed be thy Name

Bartender
08-01-2004, 01:58 PM
You can't review songs that you've already heard.

MbMDrumMachine
08-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have read the rules first haha.

TonyH2004
08-01-2004, 02:20 PM
dibs, Damage Plan - Save mE

TonyH2004
08-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Damageplan - Save Me

This song starts off with an amazing opening riff and loud, dominating drums. Then the singing kicks in. The singer has an amazing voice which ranges from the soft tones he uses in the verse to the bits of odd shouting here and there. The chorus is very well written and has a great lyrical hook...."SAVE ME! FROM MYSELF!" However this could be viewed as rather cliche.

I already knew this band was a side project from two members of Pantera. However I had not heard any of the actual music. On listening to them, the Pantera style is present, this however is not a bad thing. Bands with variation are great, but why vary a well working formula?
This song is excellent from start to finish, well worth a listen.

Rating: 10/10
For fans of: Pantera, Soulfly, Sepultura

Machine Head - Imperium
Soulfly - Prophecy
The Haunted - Shadow World

Bartender
08-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Someone do one of them, I've heard them all.

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 05:33 PM
dibs soulfly prophecy

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Soulfly-Prophecy

Begins with some crazy guitar effects that get repetitive and annoying, then breaks into a heavy drum beat with rap/shouting lyrics. the verse repeats itself fairly regularly then bridges to.... the exact same thing. another verse, another bridge, then a faster more interesting verse with better drums/guitar. the song finishes off with some an odd female voice singing lyricless tones.
a run-of-the-mill song, but good nonetheless
7/10

Children of Bodom-needled 24/7

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 07:06 PM
or BLS-the blessed hellride

Kingofdudes
08-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I would recommend Needled 24/7 to whoever is gonna take dibs.

Ive heard both :(

BassDialated
08-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Dibs

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 07:28 PM
which one?

NJMetalMeister
08-01-2004, 07:31 PM
He doesnt have to call dibs on a specific one, its whatever one you have an easier time finding pretty much. Although i dont think BassDialated will have much trouble finding bodom or BLS

BassDialated
08-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7

First starts of at a very fast pace, the guitars sounds very awsome, and so far im blown away by the first 30 seconds of the song, the guitars continues to keep a constant fast beat, the singer comes in and the lyrics arent that good, he has a wicked scream though :thumb:. Around 1:40 there is a guitar solo, a short one but its awsome. As the song continues on basically simliar beat until 2:30 it completley changes. Still keeping a fast beat though.

Everything about this song was awsome, except for the singer, he was still good though, I give this song a 9/10, ill defenetly be listening to more of there music.

Suggestions

Cake - Going the Distance
Zug Island - Suicide
Taproot - Poem or Mirrors Reflection

NJMetalMeister
08-01-2004, 07:33 PM
dibs

BassDialated
08-01-2004, 07:40 PM
All of those should be easy to find 12ounces of hate, all except for Zug Island, i dont reccomend that one either

NJMetalMeister
08-01-2004, 07:44 PM
It's the only one i've never heard so its the only one i can dibs on, very well, ill revoke my dibs, someone else can take it who has not heard cake or taproot. if nobody picks it up, ill work on the zug island

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 07:53 PM
can i take dibs again?
im really bored

NJMetalMeister
08-01-2004, 08:06 PM
yeah you can take dibs as much as you want, go right ahead

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 08:08 PM
cool
dibs then

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 08:19 PM
excellant spoken intro with cool bass then a nice drum beat and memorable guitar riff join in. a strange but interesting wahwah sound plays in the background. some nice supporting brass. chorus comes and goes, followed by a guitar bridge, a new drum beat, more lyrics. another building chorus and another verse, and to finish, some odd techno whistles.
a truely beautiful song with driven ::hehe:: lyrics and great instrumental support.
10/10, a grade i dont give lightly

Bad Religion-Let Them Eat War (punk rock)
Slipknot-The Heretic Anthem (metal/numetal)
Jimi Hendrix-Fire (classic rock)

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 08:20 PM
That was cake-going the distance

BassDialated
08-01-2004, 08:30 PM
If know one minds ill take dibs agian.

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 08:37 PM
go ahead

BassDialated
08-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Bad Religion - Let Them Eat War

Starts off with a nice guitar rythem, guitars are keeping a nice beat and the singer is pretty good, as the song plays on there isnt really anything amazing, and it begins to become repetative. Around 2 minutes in there is a nice guitar solo though. 2:20 into the song it has the nice lyrics "Feed them Death", that was a nice touch i thought.

Overall the song isnt to bad, the lyrics are catchy and so is the beat and guitar, I give this song a 7/10. It was nice But nothing special. :thumb:

Suggestions

My Chemical Romance - Demolition Lovers (slow type of rock)
Authority Zero - Superbitch (punk rock)
Authority Zero - Revolution (punk rock agian)
Sum 41 - Pain for Pleasure (probally my most hated band, but a good song at that)

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 10:28 PM
what the hell
dibs

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Sum 41- Pain for Pleasure

i couldnt find any of the other songs, so ill just do this one

Pain for Pleasure starts out with a nice little washboard clacking sound, which is soon joined by a declining bass which is cool. A guitar joins in with a distorted semi-harmonizing riff. next the drums speed up and the guitar breaks to a catchy little number. The voice cuts in and totally ruins the song. the instrumentation really had me going, but the voice was a total buzzkill. Whoevers singing might have a decent voice in other types of music, but that is definately not his forte, especially the high screaming. all in all, a mediocre song. Could have been better, could have been worse
5/10

Cream-Tales of Brave Ulysses
Jet-Cold Hard Bitch
Orgy-Blue Monday

pyromaniacfool
08-01-2004, 11:50 PM
or Jimi Hendrix or Slipknot from before which noone reviewed

BassDialated
08-01-2004, 11:56 PM
I guess ill call dibs agian, ill go for Slipknot this time

BassDialated
08-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Slipknot - The Heretic Anthem

Alright ive heard Slipknot before but not this song, personally i usetoo like Slipknot then it became crap to me really, but maybe this could be a change for me. It starts of with a interesting count down. Then it goes to heavy Guitar and Drums. Generally what Slipknot does. Comes in with the same type of screaming heavy lyrics that Slipknot does often, so far its not really anything different. The lyrics are actaully pretty corny "If your 555 im 666". So far im 2 minutes in and im already bored with the song.

Thgis song wasnt much different from Slipknots older songs like Left Behind or Wait and Bleed. Still smiliar heavy rock. i give it a 5/10 for old times sake. This song I defenetly wont listen to agian.

Suggestions

Taproot - Poem
Boy Hits Car - Going to India or I'm A Cloud

Reflection
08-02-2004, 12:10 AM
dibs

Reflection
08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Taproot - Poem

Starts off with a nice semi-dirty guitar riff which then launches into a heavier, distorted version of it. The singing comes in which I do not like. I think this guy's voice is too whiny. Then the pre-chorus comes in where he screams every 4th word or so and then hits the chorus. Now comes in the chorus which I actually do kind of like. Then the rest of the song is pretty repetitive. 3/10. Decent for nu-metal song I guess but I listen to a lot of death/prog/black/melodic metal stuff so this kind of turns me off.

Since I've been listening a bit less metal these days...

Thrice - A Subtle Dagger

TonyH2004
08-02-2004, 01:29 AM
a few more suggestions wud be nice..i'#ve heard that.

Reflection
08-02-2004, 02:00 AM
I want someone to review that one, I want to see what people think of it. Next time I'll put more choices.

suspect
08-02-2004, 06:37 AM
dibs then

suspect
08-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Thrice - A subtle dagger

Starts fast, with everything guitars, drums and bass. I like the guitars. Some screaming follows shortly. I don't like his voice. Then it goes over to a melodic riff, followed by a pretty cool chorus. Then a verse again, with the screaming, I'm actually starting to like it. Back to the chorus again, which I dig.

Now comes a mini solo, pretty melodic, but it ends to fast. Back to some screaming, with the guitars "screaming" with him. Then it ends. Whew that was short.

Meh, it was okay. Nothing stood out as particularly good. My favourite part was the chorus, where the vocalist actually sang.

5/10

Sinergy - Swarmed(Melodic Metal)
Dragonforce - My spirit will go on(Power metal)
Focus - Hocus Pocus (Metal - but this is a funny song:))

suspect
08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
bump

pyromaniacfool
08-02-2004, 10:51 AM
dibs

manuscriptreplica
08-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Oh man, that Focus - Hocus Pocus is incredible. I need to hear more of their stuff.

pyromaniacfool
08-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Focus-Hocus Pocus
nice laid back guitar intro, joined by harmonizing bass and drums. then YODELING! good god i love it. back to melody. nice drum bridge, more yodeling! excellant guiar solo that really fits in with the rest of the song, something you dont get much nowadays. drum bridge, some crazy skat, then more melody. more yodeling. that guy really can hit the high notes. another guitar solo, this ones faster but not as good. some pan pipe going on, very nice. another melody thing, holy ****, its an accordian. Another solo, as good as the first, nice drum fill, yodeling, then the yodeler laughing. more melody. the tempo slows and the song ends.

A alltogether decent song, very frenetic with the yodelling, pan pipe, whistling, and harmonica. a very good flow
8/10

The Who-Boris The Spider (rock, kinda strange)
Exit English-Blaze (scream emo, but still good)
Orgy-Blue Monday (techno rock)

Bartender
08-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Dibs.

Bartender
08-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Well, Strike Anywhere have an album called Exit English, with a song called Blaze on it. I assumed that's what you meant.
Strike Anywhere - Blaze - 2:02

Starts off with what might be an interesting riff, but it soon (like, 2 seconds in) becomes really bland and inoffensive. At the start of the verse, the vocals have a slight edge to them, but that too instantly disappears, so we're left with unimpressive, slightly whiny vocals.

His voice regains a little of that edge (literally for around a quarter of a second) at the start of the next verse, before becoming bland again.

I don't know what to do with this, the song is giving me nothing to work with. The instruments aren't changing from a constant drum beat, and the inoffensive guitar. The vocals still have that little edge every now and then, but somehow that just makes it worse that they are most often not like that.

The instruments had no variation, and the thing they weren't varying from wasn't any good to start with. I also don't really see how that was screamo; any scream the vocalist has tapers off after half a second. It ended up sounding like punk, maybe even bordering on pop punk. Substandard pop-punk, at that.

2/10. Very poor.

Would I listen to more of the same band? Nope.

Songs:
Mannhai - Spender (stoner rock)