PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Metal Axxe Wraith Bass

fallen angel2121
07-18-2004, 12:23 PM
http://www.jhs.co.uk/metalaxxe.html

A lot of people seem to hate this bass; others seem to really like it. This all seems to be down to the looks, it looks vaguely BC Rich-ish (though I personally prefer this bass), and so it is tempting to believe that your paying just for the looks.

I'll be the first to admit that its not the best bass by far; it only cost me £200 (US$350? I'm not sure on the exchange rates), so don't expect a bass to compete with a Warwick or a Wal. What you do get is exactly what you pay for; a bass with very nice electronics (it outstrips my old bass even with new £80 pickups in place) and a very distinctive shape. The pickups give a wide range of tones, from an incredibly deep, rounded tone to an incredibly bright pick like tone even when using fingers, though all the tones sound quite strong and would, as the shape suggests, be best for playing metal/rock. The fingerboard is quite quick, and the strings it comes with are a good quality.

Overall I would reccomend this to anyone looking to upgrade from a begginer bass (such as a Squier Affinity), and possibly for a more serious musician looking for a second or different bass.

4/5; and simply doesn't have enough range/lifetime to score top marks, but otherwise its superb.

Fallen Angel

Quick Edit: One other slight problem: its got quite a long neck and a small body, and so its weighted quite poorly. For playing sitting down its not a problem, but standing up it can be a little bit sluggish, especially for fast fret work. Its still very playable, though.

black_star
09-06-2004, 01:11 PM
what about the vintage avon basses , are they the same thing or different. someone told me the're pretty good . help

fallen angel2121
09-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, I've never heard of the Avon guitars, but I'm fairly sure they're something completely different to the Metal Axxe series. That's why they call them Metal Axxe rather than Avon :thumb:

Fallen Angel

Lumberjacker
11-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the review.

christophicus
02-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the review.

I would also like to thank you for the reveiw .I was looking for one for ages and fianally found this.My brother got the bass andi was wondering did you get ALOT of fret buzz cause i get lots

fallen angel2121
03-03-2005, 09:34 AM
I've never had any serious fretbuzz issues from mine. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to action (I like mine ultra low), so the most I've had is when I've lowered it a fraction of an inch too much and its buzzed at the low frets on the A and D strings. Try either loosening your truss rod or (easier) raise the saddles at the bridge. I've found that you can get the action very low on this bass if you're patient with it.

Fallen Angel

christophicus
08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
i have to say that this bass is very neck heavy,but i still like it alot

christophicus
10-06-2005, 03:02 PM
OK i have bought a ibanez btb405 which is suppoesed to be an amazing value for money bass,and it was about twice the price of the vintage and i prefer the wraith by miles.it has a much duller thuddier sound which i much prefer.

80sfollowerBass666
10-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Cheers fr the review man. its coming close to my bday soon! (hooray!) and i woz thinking of buying a metal axxe wraithe which wud be my third bass but ive decided to get a ibanez btb205 i think its called, im off to look for a review on tht before i choose.

christophicus
12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
This is probably too late for the above poster but i have an ibanez btb405 and i much prefer the wraith.it is so much more playable.and gets a really nice deep tone.