PDA

View Full Version : The Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature

Americanmuscle74
04-27-2004, 06:40 PM
I bought this guitar at guitar center in january of this year for 750$ and it was not a factory 2nd either. This guitar plays pretty well when i have it tuned to C and extremely good in standard. The pinch harmonics on the EMG HZ passives pickups dont really stand out. So will be buying a zakk wylde set (81 & 85') and ive heard that it makes all the difference. But overall i got a very good guitar for 750$ and well worth my money not to mention you have a cool looking guitar

LoveBuzzed
04-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Ive asked a few people if they would review this, thanks alot :thumb:

LTJ386
05-01-2004, 03:02 AM
It's one of the best looking guitars I've seen, and with a name like Zakk Wylde, you can't go wrong.

KB_LAGER
05-24-2004, 01:51 AM
yeh i have seen it at the shops...

with some 81's in it....it would rock....but what guitar wouldnt rock with 81's and 85's in it.

iamleddy
06-15-2004, 12:37 AM
my santana se rocks all with 81's and 85's GET THEM NOW lol

Against Miik!
06-15-2004, 12:45 AM
anything with distortion sounds 100x better on that guitar. if you like metal you should definitly try that guitar out. only having 22 frets is a downfall but the tone more than makes up for it.

flamey088
06-20-2004, 08:54 AM
yeah **** true, and at the epiphone site they show u many angles of the guitar, but yeah a very cool guitar, and i love the "bulls eye" finish on it

MAthiAS
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
but what guitar wouldnt rock with 81's and 85's in it.

a classical one? or a squier?

brad_
08-01-2004, 12:44 AM
I just bought it today.
Beautiful guitar.

hairball
08-01-2004, 04:18 PM
i was jst tinkin - isnt it a bit weird how its called the zakk wylde sig. yet it dusnt av the same emg p/ups? wots goin on! surely a sig. guitar would av the same p/ups? can sum1 plz explain this 4 me coz epiphone rnt mkin ne money out of it coz theyre emg p/ups so yea wots goin on? sum1 plz explain!

brad_
08-14-2004, 01:14 PM
i gess thats why the gibson's $4000

maggot_b
08-14-2004, 03:51 PM
i was jst tinkin - isnt it a bit weird how its called the zakk wylde sig. yet it dusnt av the same emg p/ups? wots goin on! surely a sig. guitar would av the same p/ups? can sum1 plz explain this 4 me coz epiphone rnt mkin ne money out of it coz theyre emg p/ups so yea wots goin on? sum1 plz explain!

Comment 1: Type using full words or you'll get flamed to hell. You have been warned. Not nessicarily from me, but you are making yourself look like an idiot.

Comment 2: Epiphone versions of the "Real" Gibson guitars don't have the same pickups because they're cheaper versions. The only difference between the pickups on the Epiphone and the Gibson are the fact that the Epi ones are passive. (Passive don't use batteries, Actives do)

Really, if you want a guitar to look and sound like the proper Zakk Wylde version you should buy the Epiphone version, get a professional to set up the action, adjust the truss rod, file the frets etc and get them to put an EMG-81 on the bridge and an EMG-85 on the neck. The only difference will be that it won't say Gibson on the head and it probably has a thinner neck.

My "Vintage" Les Paul Gold Top copy was set up by the shop before delivery. The person in charge of quality control used to guitar tech for Tony Iommi, Brian May and he used to be Q.C manager at Patrick Eggle Guitars. Their website is www.regentguitars.co.uk . It's vey useful and they have a good customer service histoty. I have to say it feels and sounds like a proper Les Paul. I played a Gibson Black Beauty Les Paul after I got this and the set up job on the Gibbo was pretty poor in comparison. Don't knock a good setup job.

I think that the ZW les paul is the only signature guitar I'd consider buying. It's pretty original in design, though i'd probably rather have the one with the mirrored parts where the white bits are. Unfortunatly they don't sell that one. Bugger.

ESP_VIPER
08-14-2004, 10:07 PM
My next guitar is going to be the Epi Zakk Wylde Custom. Im gonna put the EMG's Zakk Wylde 81/85 set in it. Its a sweet looking and sounding guitar. I have the EMG-HZ set in my ESP Viper200FM. They sound all right except for the clean sound but there good pickups.

BWD
08-19-2004, 08:56 AM
It's one of the best looking guitars I've seen, and with a name like Zakk Wylde, you can't go wrong.

Agreed. :thumb:

LeoMondaine2
08-19-2004, 07:25 PM
i tried that guitar for the 4th time today and i love that thing. the neck feels awesome. the only thing that buggs me besides the pickups is the bridge. i dont like how on the epiphones and some other brands theres a little piece of wire that holds down the triangle thing, sometimes this can cause some buzzing there, but on the gibson there is no wire holding em down, they are held down by a solid piece of metal. again this is just somthing that annoys me on guitars and dosent really affect the guitar in any way :-/

hairball
08-21-2004, 01:27 PM
to maggot:thanks for the tips and thanks for answering my question, i was just wondering about it.

personally i think that les pauls are lovely guitars but i doubt ill ever own one - i think they are to common - like strats. but then again they play amazingly and sound great but whatever im just a guy who likes weird shaped guitars like explorers, icemans, warriors, f series esps, i could go on but im boring people so i won't

lunacychua
09-05-2004, 10:38 AM
hahaha

LeoMondaine2
09-05-2004, 11:32 AM
i dont like the colors on the epi zakk, the "white" part is too brownish. it would be better if they didnt try and make it look vintage (which they failed horribly at) and if they made it black and either white or ivory

MOUTH-F0R-WAR
09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
iv played the "real" Zakk wylde sig, my friend owns one...

...they kickass :thumb:

leewright
09-12-2004, 07:12 AM
i dont like the colors on the epi zakk, the "white" part is too brownish. it would be better if they didnt try and make it look vintage (which they failed horribly at) and if they made it black and either white or ivory

well, if they didnt make it look like that it wouldnt be a zakk wylde signature, hes had all the guitars he has been made for him recently have that vintage look put into them, to make them look more like a guitar he loves called ''the grail'' so if you changed the paintwork you wouldnt have a zakk wylde guitar would you?

flamey088
09-17-2004, 05:11 AM
well i bought the epi les paul custom over the ZW signature because the pickups had hardly any output, but other than that the ZW looks awesome, and the action is awesome for a pretty stock version of it

kirmitdafrog
09-19-2004, 01:30 PM
btw maggot_b its not www.regentguitars.co.uk any more its www.guitars.co.uk

LeoMondaine2
09-19-2004, 09:32 PM
well idk about you, but id much rather have an zakk wylde guitar that were THESE colors (the way they should be):
http://www.rockfanshop.com/catalog/images/lp-zakkwylde-signature.jpg

Instead of these colors, which all the epiphone zakk wyldes really look like:
http://www.ke-musik.dk/ProductImages/Pic/EZAKWYLDE.jpg

fishguts
09-25-2004, 07:32 PM
I hate how the Zakk Wylde signatures look yellowish in person but the paint is a antiqe white so it has an age effect like zakks bullsye known as "The Grail".

BWD
09-25-2004, 08:29 PM
The guitar is pretty nice..I'm thinking of maybe getting it soon..

LeoMondaine2
09-25-2004, 08:55 PM
yea well i just think you should buy a white guitar and play it for 10-15 years and it will turn that antique color. it dosent look as good when companies try to make the color look antique.

kinda cool, my guitar teacher has a Gibson Standard les paul and its that ivory/yellowish/creme color and i like fell in love the color and i was looking for a les paul that color and i checked Gibsons site and they didnt make that color. so i asked my teacher and he said that like 13 years ago when he got it it was bright white and it just naturally turned that color from playing it so much. probabbly playin gigs where people were smokin alot added to the color change, kinda nasty but true.

Mark. A
10-03-2004, 03:59 AM
Zakks les paul is the best.

leewright
10-15-2004, 02:12 PM
... the paint is a antiqe white so it has an age effect like zakks bullsye known as "The Grail".

did i not say that???? :naughty:

IbanezAxer
11-04-2004, 08:08 PM
yea, its nice, a friend of mine has one, i havent tried it though

EddieTrooper
11-06-2004, 04:10 AM
pretty badass guitar, the EMG's give it hell-of-a crunch which is a killer combo on a les paul. Only if you want the bullseye finish i would get it, it would be cheaper just to get a standard and drop some 81's in the bitch, but whichever you would prefer

JustAGuitarist
11-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey does anyone think its kinda wierd that they have signature models of a guitar that kinda is already a signature, the Les Paul??

lunacychua
11-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Hey does anyone think its kinda wierd that they have signature models of a guitar that kinda is already a signature, the Les Paul??

wow so you can call it a signature signature guitar from now on :lol:

ARBITER
11-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I think it's nice but horribly overpriced, then u have to spend the extra money to get real EMGs.... :rolleyes:

billy jim
12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
I think the EMG's in this sound just like Zakk, although the colours are a bit nasty in real life...

lunacychua
12-04-2004, 11:39 PM
if only the mirror bullseye was for sale too...

bkrawk
12-05-2004, 02:12 PM
it's a ****in optical illusion

blackout
12-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Does the epi model have an unfinished neck?

leomondaine
12-15-2004, 09:51 AM
yessss

azianmetalhead
12-25-2004, 07:27 PM
well idk about you, but id much rather have an zakk wylde guitar that were THESE colors (the way they should be):
http://www.rockfanshop.com/catalog/images/lp-zakkwylde-signature.jpg

Instead of these colors, which all the epiphone zakk wyldes really look like:
http://www.ke-musik.dk/ProductImages/Pic/EZAKWYLDE.jpg

good point :thumb:

leomondaine
12-31-2004, 04:38 PM
I found this on a BLS website that answers the paint job thing.

That the reason the Epiphone Bullseye Les Pauls are more yellow in color is because they put vanilla in the paint to duplicate the aging of The Grail which was originally Alpine White

Atomic Cocktail
01-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Ya thats true. I noticed that when i first saw the epi Zakk sig guitar. I played a couple ep's including this one and no affence to anyone but they are f**kin ****ty

Atomic Cocktail
01-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Ya thats true. I noticed that when i first saw the epi Zakk sig guitar. I played a couple ep's including this one and no affence to anyone but they are f**kin ****ty. I personally prefer gibsons and jacksons.

KickOutTheJams
01-14-2005, 07:02 PM
a classical one? or a squier?

Watch "In The Flesh: Roger Waters Live." In it, Andy Fairweather Lowe plays an acoustic/classical guitar with an EMG or something extremely similar installed between the soundhole and bridge. Sorry, just in the mood to porve someone wrong.

dancetomdance182
01-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Yea the yellowish color makes it look dirty....

HopePoisoned
01-16-2005, 03:05 PM
this guitar is probably the only epiphone i would consider buying

leomondaine
01-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Ya thats true. I noticed that when i first saw the epi Zakk sig guitar. I played a couple ep's including this one and no affence to anyone but they are f**kin ****ty. I personally prefer gibsons and jacksons.

USA jacksons pwn

now that the new Epi Zakk Wylde's buzzsaw and camo came out i wanna try em. see how the maple fetboard sounds on the camo...

SoloLikeMad
01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
i saw zakk wylde with a the bullseye guitar.. cept instead of black it was red.. looked way cooler

leomondaine
01-26-2005, 09:28 PM
you meaan this one on the left?

http://blacklabelsociety.net/gear/standards.jpg

Its a Standard with red rings, he uses it sometimes

Americanmuscle74
02-07-2005, 02:15 AM
he uses that one on "i Dont wanna change the world" on the OZZY Live at Budokan DVD. It also looks nice

leomondaine
02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
there was this kid on the Black Label Society forums, who took a black epihone lespaul custome, sanded off the front of the guitar and painted it with the gold and black bullseye, it looked sick

fatwreckpunk
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Its Not Bullseye. Its Is An Optical Illusion !!!!!!

Ibanex0110
02-23-2005, 07:49 PM
this was kinda a ways back, but someone was griping about how the finish is too brown and not white enough. Zakk's original guitar, before he painted the bullseye one it was cream colored, so therefore I don't think it's really so much a vintage finish look, just the way it really is

leomondaine
03-04-2005, 08:03 AM
i love complaining asbout this, heres the epiphone on the left
http://www.zakkwylde.com/nwwd/galleries/sdmf/bigimages/DSCF0475.jpg

and heres the origional "grail" guitar, number 1

http://www.zakkwylde.com/fiddles/bigimages/grail.jpg

not close enough for me!!!!!

Fraggy
03-04-2005, 08:03 PM
ugh!

leomondaine
03-04-2005, 10:01 PM
you know you have a hard-on for that guitar, dont deny it

led zeppelin139
03-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I bought this guitar at guitar center in january of this year for 750$ and it was not a factory 2nd either. This guitar plays pretty well when i have it tuned to C and extremely good in standard. The pinch harmonics on the EMG HZ passives pickups dont really stand out. So will be buying a zakk wylde set (81 & 85') and ive heard that it makes all the difference. But overall i got a very good guitar for 750$ and well worth my money not to mention you have a cool looking guitar
sounds pretty good to me. i love guitar center

DryIce001
03-12-2005, 02:59 PM
if anyone wants to save some money but wants the same look as the zakk wylde signature...you should check out ebay. ive seen people selling the bulls-eye stickers and that other decal (thats one on the back of the headstock) on his signature guitar.

mostguitarswins@wmconnect.com
03-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Many great names have played a Dean Guitar Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill of ZZ Top, Dimebag Darrell and Michael Angelo Batio. Check out the guitars these great names have chosen go to www.deanguitars.com. Also check out the guitar Dimebag Darrell started his career with at http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4912 . Check out Zakk Wylde with his custom Dean here http://www.deanguitars.com/Dean05/namm/tribute/index.php?directory=.&currentPic=8 .

Zebulun H

prophecyrevealed
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, RIP to Dime, Ozzfest line up good, except NO COB, SO........................http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/cobonozzfest sign this, and we're gonna flood ozzfest's website with this.