PDA

View Full Version : Digitech BP200 Bass Processor

The JoZ
04-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Someone requested this in the bass forum, and while a few comments have been made, a more thorough review has not been done. I own one and for the most part love it, but there are some minor things I don't like about it.

This is a multieffects pedal that covers every effect one could possibly need...comes with 80 settings, with 40 of them to remain factory presets, and the others to be customized as you wish. I think you can customize past 40, but to be honest I've not fiddled with it enough to know.

Features of the BP200:

*Fretless simulator: Get a reasonable reproduction of fretless sound on a fretted bass
*Wah: Play around with that wah sound
*Cabinet Modeling: Play as if you were playing through a different size cabinet than what you're using
*Amp modeling: Same as above, except you get tones based on different types of amps, rather than size
*Stompbox modeling: Several different types of distortion and overdrive settings
*Compression: I can't really explain compression much because I don't know much about it myself, but it does offer compression settings
*EQ: Play around with a three-band EQ on the pedal, in addition to your bass and amp settings
*Effects: Includes the following effects: Flanger, Phaser, Detune, Chorus, Octavider, SynthTalk, Whammy, Pitch Shift, Envelope Filter, Vibrato
*Delay: Several kinds of delay, with changable feedback and delay times
*Reverb: Several kinds of reverb, with changeable decay, level
*An expression pedal: Control those effects in real time, necessary for Wah and Whammy control.

The 40 presets are a nice thing, but I'll admit some of their settings seem to or make no sense...some of settings in the 20's region are all just slight variations of clean settings...and some of the earlier settings are slight varations of distortion settings. I highly recommend that you try all of them, and then go create your own settings, because there is so much potential with this thing it isn't funny...yet they were quite conservative I think in their settings in that they didn't do much with them...

I really love the sound of the Chorus on this thing...it's deep and warm, a very full sound. The Detune effect does a similar thing, but not quite as thick...the Whammy setting is fun if you want to do weird sounding things, and for the bassist who loves Tool (like me), you can get the correct setting for Disposition on this pedal...5th up/Octave up...:D

The distortion settings are cool to mess with, you can get this grungy kind of distortion, or heavier metal distortion, or thick fuzz...the delay is nice and the reverb is a great thing. The wah is fine, but I think you could probably get better wah sound from a real pedal...same goes with the fretless simulator...don't buy this pedal in hopes of never needing a real fretless bass. Phase and Flange are cool settings, but most people may never have a use for them...the only setting I don't really like is the Synth setting on here...it sounds weird, and not a good kind of weird. Digitech does make a Synth Wah pedal, however, and I've heard great things about it, so I think I'd pick up one of those one day too

I'd give this a four out of five star rating...so many choices, so many ways to find your unique sound. What it does well, it does really well in my opinion (Delay, Reverb, many of the effects)...the Synth is the only thing I don't like at all, and the fretless/wah could be a bit better. I've played live with this before, and improvised a long drawn out distortion filled solo...which was loved by many. The only other thing to watch out for is it's power supply...I had to have mine replaced because it stopped working...so be careful with it. The unit itself is quite solid, however.

:thumb:

dans107
04-27-2004, 03:47 AM
Nice review.

How much was it? I'm looking into getting another effects pedal, or an effects board. I'm just wondering if it would be a waste of money for the amount of things I'd use.

Dan

The JoZ
04-27-2004, 06:43 AM
It was bought for me at about $150...

If you're only planning to use like one effect on there, I wouldn't buy it...but then again, if you bought two X-series pedals, you could've bought this.

I don't think it's a waste of money at all, unless you do absolutely nothing with it; as stated above there are so many choices and so many combinations of things to mess with that if you can't find something you like, I'd be very surprised :thumb:

fallen angel2121
05-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Do you find that your BP200 hisses nastily at you when you use it? I'ver heard that this is from putting to much gain on, but I've turned the gain down to 0 to no avail. Any thoughts?

Fallen Angel

The JoZ
05-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Do you find that your BP200 hisses nastily at you when you use it? I'ver heard that this is from putting to much gain on, but I've turned the gain down to 0 to no avail. Any thoughts?

Fallen Angel

I have not experienced this...aside from turning up the gain too high with the Solo, FatFuzz and FuzzFaze settings...but those have heavy distortion involved, so it's no surprise there

You might have a defect...if you've recently bought it, or you registered it with Digitech, you can get a replacement...otherwise, I don't know what to tell you other than I don't think it's supposed to do that

Try turning down the master level knob too...or the gain on your amp...or even the volume on your bass...it's quite possible everything is just too loud...or maybe you have a smaller amp? I run mine through a 100W Ampeg BA115 with no problem, so...I don't know what else to suggest if these don't remedy your situation

trev913
05-21-2004, 07:16 PM
niceee. I was thinking about buying a BP80 (the step down from the 200) sometime this summer. But I'd like a full list of the effects.

electric grapevine
05-21-2004, 10:04 PM
The effects are not that high-quality. They work, but they're not great. Compare the built in flanger to an $80 flanger pedal and you'll hear the difference.

But if you're looking for something to play around with, or like me, a drum machine/headphone amp, then this is fine. Through my amp, yeah, this thing is loud as ****. I have humbucking pickups, and even then, I have to turn on the noise gate to keep it from getting to loud when I'm not playing. And when I am you can still hear the hiss in the background.

Good for the money, but I don't think I'd buy it again.

fallen angel2121
05-22-2004, 02:34 AM
A full list of the effects:

Fretless Simulator: Not so good, but might be worthwhile for a few specific tones
Wah: Fine, sounds pretty good to me
Compressor: Never really understood or used this
Amp/Stompbox modelling: This is definately useful, especially the stompboxes. Really good for getting the exact tone you wanted.
Equaliser: Its a 3 band equaliser, same as on your amp.
Cabinet modelling/Noise Gate: The cab modelling is also quite useful, not as good as the amp modelling though. The noise gate is definately useful for lots of the effects that create a constant background noise.
Chorus: Very useful, wide range of tones.
Flanger: I've found thissounds really good with some distortion on it. As said not a top quality flanger, but its a multi effects pedal.
Phaser: Again, pretty good. Yet to use it in a song though.
Envelope Filter: Kind'v weird wah effect on each note you play. The "Autowa" setting using this is a lot of fun to play around with.
Vibrato: This has to be the least useful there, but its so funny to play with.
Octavider: None of my amps can really cope with this, but it might see use this summer with a new amp....
SynthTalk: The SynthTalk is a load of bollocks really. It tones down everything you play and bashes some queer sounds on top of it.
Detune: Kindv like Whammy, again not so good.
Pitch Shift: Again, like Detune.
Whammy: Gives a queer ringing noise sometimes, but its not too much of a problem. Good for Tool songs/ RATM solos on a guitar.
Delay: Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Reverb: Large amount of room setting for the reverb (ever played in an amphitheatre? Ever think you will? Not a problem with this pedal, if it ever was a problem.)
Drum Machine: Just some kindv crap preset drum patterns. Don't buy it for this.

Thats quite a few effects... Definately worth it unless you're super rich and can buy 256 different pedals.

Fallen Angel

pbzep0670
05-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I'd read about these but its good to hear actual players talk about them, instead of the people who made it. I think I'll get one this summer after I get a new bass.

The JoZ
05-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Yeah I'll admit myself that the effects are not like uber-great OMG kind of sounding...

But some of us can't afford to buy the entire Digitech product line at this point in time...:p

Plus, it's nice to blend effects and sounds into one channel to as opposed to stepping on tons of pedals

timmySmi
05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Have you tryed to mix the Wah with a bit of distortion?
If so does it give off a sort of RATM/Calm Like A Bomb sound?

Joe not-a-noob
05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Since it has the stompboxes, do those work as footswitches too? Can you go from clean to distortion just by stepping on the pedal?

trev913
05-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the list. I'm probably gonna buy that or the BP80. This summer, I'm hopefully gonna end up with a Deluxe P Bass Combo and I'll probably buy the 80. Thanks again.

fallen angel2121
05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Since it has the stompboxes, do those work as footswitches too? Can you go from clean to distortion just by stepping on the pedal?

It basiucally functions as any other multi effects processor; there are 40 different settings you can create on the pedal, ancd 2 footswitches cycle between them; opne is up, the other goes down. So basically, yes, if you create a "Bypass" setting (I have many of these) next to your distortion, then it does act as a basic stompbox in that way. Its built very sturdily, and so you can step on it pretty hard. It also has a Bypass mode, but to do this, you need to step on both pedals simeultaneously which is kindv hard to do.

Fallen Angel

Joe not-a-noob
05-28-2004, 08:04 PM
It basiucally functions as any other multi effects processor; there are 40 different settings you can create on the pedal, ancd 2 footswitches cycle between them; opne is up, the other goes down. So basically, yes, if you create a "Bypass" setting (I have many of these) next to your distortion, then it does act as a basic stompbox in that way. Its built very sturdily, and so you can step on it pretty hard. It also has a Bypass mode, but to do this, you need to step on both pedals simeultaneously which is kindv hard to do.

Fallen Angel

Thanks a lot.

The JoZ
05-31-2004, 09:21 PM
The best thing to do, I've found, is to go and save a clean channel in between an effect...for example, these are a few settings of mine

24 - Chorus - Gives me a strong chorus effect
25 - Normal - Clean setting, defined as I want it
26 - 5-3004 - A weird delay setting I made yesterday

You can go from the settings back and forth to a clean etting quite easily this way...better than trying to bypass the pedal completely

joshmay
05-31-2004, 10:43 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186195

:)

SomaTaker
06-03-2004, 03:32 PM
i wouldnt recomend. but maybe im just a purist, i go straight through my amp and find many settings just through drive and EQ settings. the only things that are good on the Bp200 is the compressor(it limits and/ or enhances your tone, controling your volume-great for slapping),amp modeling (the stompboxes suck, they are modled after GUITAR distortion pedals [ds-1,big muff pi etc]) the cabnet modeling and the EQ. it was to much of a hassle and made my sound "thin", so i never use it and will be selling it soon

SomaTaker
06-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Have you tryed to mix the Wah with a bit of distortion?
If so does it give off a sort of RATM/Calm Like A Bomb sound?

no. sorry, the wah sux, and so does the distortion, but to get a good heavy distorted sound you can overdrive one of the amp models. the only thing i found the wah useful for was when playing anesthesia, it worked ok there.

SomaTaker
06-03-2004, 03:40 PM
again, still ranting. most of these effects were taking from the guitar processors and just put on here (whammy,a boss ds-1 distortion,wah,chourus,flange etc) so, they dont seem very pratical for bass. and the compressor is great, if you learn how to use it. it controls your sound tone and volume, but other than that, dont buy this. its more worthwhile to save your money and buy a good boss multi effects pedal instead.

LTFbassist
06-22-2004, 08:40 AM
i think its pretty useful..it made my band actually let me solo..the effects arent perfect..but u can tweak them a bit so they sound how u want them too.. and its a really good buy cuz not all bassist have 1000 dollars to spend on effects..it works for now..

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
07-06-2004, 02:18 PM
this thing gived alot of potential, i like the amp and cab models, they gave me an excelent clean sound to work with, i mean i can make one for slaping, one for rage, etcc... then the effects, those are awsome two. this pedal is friggin awesome.

Nociceptor
07-07-2004, 03:08 PM
I think this processor is awesome! For $140 it gives you a lot of different possibilities. I personally love the Synthtalk effect, if you mix it (or any effect) with Phat, on Vox 3, it gets this awesome bouncy sound. I love the Wah pedal, but it sounds a lot like a guitar doing it, and by that, I mean it doesn't bring out the BASS in bass. There's only two things that I don't like about: one is that the instructions are so confusing, I couldn't figure out how to Store settings for the longest time AND the fact that when your sound goes through the processor and uses almost any effect (delay, reverb, wah, whammy) it sounds really robotic. But I find that just changing the presets to Strings, Phat, or Smooth works pretty well. AWESOME PEDAL!

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
07-15-2004, 01:44 AM
i wouldnt recomend. but maybe im just a purist, i go straight through my amp and find many settings just through drive and EQ settings. the only things that are good on the Bp200 is the compressor(it limits and/ or enhances your tone, controling your volume-great for slapping),amp modeling (the stompboxes suck, they are modled after GUITAR distortion pedals [ds-1,big muff pi etc]) the cabnet modeling and the EQ. it was to much of a hassle and made my sound "thin", so i never use it and will be selling it soon

are you saying The Big Muff Pi sucks for bass?

thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard, the big muff pi is probably the best bass distorition. PERIOD.

The JoZ
07-15-2004, 02:02 PM
are you saying The Big Muff Pi sucks for bass?

thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard, the big muff pi is probably the best bass distorition. PERIOD.

I disagree

Digitech's X-Series Bass Driver is the best bass distortion...:thumb:

I've heard the Muff, and frankly, I'm not impressed...same with Boss, and Ibanez's pedal...

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
07-22-2004, 01:19 AM
I disagree

Digitech's X-Series Bass Driver is the best bass distortion...:thumb:

I've heard the Muff, and frankly, I'm not impressed...same with Boss, and Ibanez's pedal...

I tried out the XBD its sick, butfor now happy with my Big Harry Muff ;)

well the model of it in the BP200 atleast :p . Boss does suck though. and ibanez, aside from theri 80's guitar stuff(tubescreamer) their pedals are a joke. :lol:

maby when i got some more money

Distorted Vision
07-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey Joz, I'm selling mine now, I was wondering if I can use that effects list you wrote out, just saves me having to write the same crap up.

Cheers.

The JoZ
07-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Yeah, sure, it's not like I wrote this for money or anything :thumb:

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
08-01-2004, 08:30 PM
after owning mine for about a month, i have new opinions,

the negative things:

wah kinda sucks
and it does add noise when in front of my amp, but when i run it to my computer its pretty quiet unless im using uber gain distortion. i really dont care about the noise infront of my amp, and recording is great with no noise.

the effects are great mostly, the chorus and detune are superb, the synth i hate but most of the effects are great, i just dont really use them to much. i love some of ht amp distorion box models, great clean/od tones can be made as well as some overdive, i have about 10 presets i made, 1-10,

1.clean with some highs added, compensats for my flatwounds and alow me to slap
2. custom distortion(se the song Kansas on my soundlick)
3. detune + reverb = nice warm beautiful tone.
4. grittier clean, light distortion
5. all out super distortion, this makes my small amp really loud, and pisses off the neigboors
6. another clean setting, actualy a clone of B-M the setting.
7. that crazy wambat setting
8. Delay setting
9. Wah + distortion
10. clean wah.

these 10 presets give me all the things i need, there are 70 more to screw around with!!!

great pedal for the money

The JoZ
08-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Actually, you can only screw with the first 40...the next 40 stay factory preset...

I wish you could mess around with more, but meh

PaulSimonon
08-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Recommend getting this, or getting the Digitech X distortion and buy more pedals as I go on? Which would be better in the long run.... right now all I need is distortion, but I'd like to play around with other things. And how real does it sound?

The JoZ
08-05-2004, 02:04 PM
If you buy an X-series now, you can get 20 bucks off of it...59.99 as opposed to 79.99...but only till the end of the month. It's a rebate, but meh.

If you know for a fact you're going to use distortion alot...I would honestly get the XBD first, and then the BP200. The effects all sound 'real' enough...give you plenty of room to experiment with sounds and such. I do think that the DigiFuzz that comes in the Bp200 is weaker than the single-pedal version though

If you know you're going to dive right in and start utilizing all the effects, go for the Bp200 first...

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
08-11-2004, 01:47 AM
yeah, if you want a feel for the effects get the BP200, be cause of it i want a Big Muff Pi, Stereo chorus, a real wah, maby an EQ. i gives me a chance to fool around with all the effects i could want at an affordable rate, for now its a better deal than indidividual effects, as if i got thr driver, and the another pedal, i could have almost payed for this.

groundzero
09-08-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm looking at the effects list on the product page and I don't seem to see "Distortion" anywhere. Am I missing something?

Bass+Fingers+Amp=Groove
09-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, There is an AMP/Stop box setting, you can choose from classic heads and amps, and distortion boxes, and adjust the gain and level. since the distortion is included under amps, there is no seperate category for it.

bloodclotsandblackholes
09-23-2004, 04:51 PM
this pedal seems like it would be a good deal for what you get. i have the bp50 and its got a lot of the same settings and features, and i love it, so i assume this should be fairly similar. good review.

Akehuka7
10-11-2004, 11:48 AM
my friend has one of these... theyre pretty cool i guess

_GanondorF_
10-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Id rather distortion as a seperate effect, i dont like how its part of the amp modelling :upset:

And i notice noones mentioned the tuner, i remember people saying it kinda sucks....but it works for me. But i think ive screwed it up

I think i remember Joz saying something about calibriating the tuner....help anyone :wave:

ScorpSath
11-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Great review I think i'm going to buy it!

Lumberjacker
11-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the review.