PDA

View Full Version : Singing 101

Pages : [1] 2 3

ScorpSath
03-28-2004, 09:03 PM
Ok post tips for singing and how to improve, or give sites.

Scarred4Life
03-29-2004, 08:33 AM
stickied

Light_Fantastic
03-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks Scarred4lLife....
Don't be shy rock singers...
I am still glad to help & giving away lots of free tips & advise.....

Jay

King_Karl
03-29-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm a rock singer
give me help and advice

Scarred4Life
03-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Um yeah...whenever I try to sing, its always as if Im holding back or something. But when I try to just let go, my singing just turns into screaming. Is there some way to kind of get more power from your voice without just shouting? :confused: merci in advance.

Light_Fantastic
03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
I'm a rock singer
give me help and advice

Hey King Karl..
We have a few threads started on general advice with vocal care & some technique...
I need to know more about your style of singing & what you hope to accomplish...where your at now & where you want to get to in singing....
I need more info from you....
Take Care

Jay

Light_Fantastic
03-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Um yeah...whenever I try to sing, its always as if Im holding back or something. But when I try to just let go, my singing just turns into screaming. Is there some way to kind of get more power from your voice without just shouting? :confused: merci in advance.

Hey Scarred4Life......
Your holding back because of our natural tendencies to feel awkward & funny about putting everything out there ...
Singing is 50% mechanical & 50% mental....
You need to work on your control, diaphram support & yes ,they are many ways to get more power...
Some vocal exercises & try going about 1/2 volume...going from your speaking voice to your loudest singing voice..
Singing actually is controlled shouting..you just have to learn how to smooth things out...
There are also many dynamics to sing (loud to soft, whisper Voice with more air) so, lot's to work on..
I will try to post some beginning voice exercises in a day or so...
Take Care

Jay

King_Karl
03-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Hey King Karl..
We have a few threads started on general advice with vocal care & some technique...
I need to know more about your style of singing & what you hope to accomplish...where your at now & where you want to get to in singing....
I need more info from you....
Take Care

Jay

i have the general problem of being unable to sing. I am ok with a mic but without it i suck. Is that normal? The style i (am trying to) sing is a rock/grunge thing. No need to worry about screaming tho cos i've got that nailed
:smoke:

sliver
03-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Singing 101:

Intro:

I will be going over the basics of vocal technique, it is important that you understand the simple concepts of music theory such the names of scales and notes. When I refer to a note, I refer to its root note and its octave. For example C3 would mean the note C in the third octave, in this lesson we will consider C3 to be middle C.

About me:

I’m 20 a male, and I am trained in jazz, pop, rock and metal singing. I started singing when I was 15 and have taken lessons for about 3 years. I have studied jazz vocal at University for a year as well. Over the next few weeks I will post extensive lessons on several singing topics, hopefully this will help anyone trying to improve their voice.

Natural Skill vs Perseverance

It is true that some people are just naturally very good singers. They can adlib melodies and be on key right on the spot. Don’t worry though, just because you are not naturally a good singer doesn’t mean you can become a decent singer, it just means you have to work about 100 times harder than they do. I am not exaggerating to the least bit, you really do have to work your butt off. Very few people are actually tone deaf, and yes its true that they are “hopeless? as far as singing, but don’t worry I’m sure you aren’t one of those people :) Singing is just like anything in life, to be great you have to work.

Finding your singing range:

Your singing range is simply the lowest to the highest note you can sing. (this can or may not include falsetto depending on the style of singing you). Most males are usually Baritones; this range starts at about F#2. Personally I can’t sing an F#2 I am more comfortable at G#2 or if I have to a G. If you can sing lower than F#2 you are probably a Bass. If your range starts at about B2 or C3 you are probably a tenor. Most people’s ranges (full voice, not falsetto) are about 1.5 – 2.5 octaves. If your range is less than this it generally means your voice underdeveloped and needs some work (don’t give up yet, you can do it). When I started singing I had a singing range of about 1.5 octaves, now I can sing about 2.3, so yes it is possible to increase your range!

Lesson 1: Breathing

Breathing:

Before we start to run, we should learn how to crawl right? Well for singers breathing is the FOUNDATION of our voices. If you are constantly out of breath you are going to sound horrible, end of story. Breathing strengthening exercises are arguably THE most important for beginning singers. The higher the note is up in your range the more breath that note will take to sing. Thus to be a versatile singer it is important to strengthen your lungs to avoid constantly taking breaths between words or sentences.

Exercise 1:

1) Look around the house, find the following items:
– a stopwatch
– the heaviest hardcover book you can find (The fifth Harry Potter book is great for this)
– a CD player, headphones and your favourite CD (optional)

2) Lie down on your back, with your hands at your side.
3) Place the book in your stomach
4) Inhale SLOWLY, but instead of sucking in your stomach make you stomach EXPAND out.
5) Exhale SLOWLY, this time less your stomach shrink back to its normal state.
6) Repeat.

It feels different from normal breathing doesn’t it? It is because when you normally breathe you contract your stomach. All your life you have been breathing incorrectly, from now on, this is the only way you will breathe.

I only suggested the CD player because this can get very boring, but if you are listening your favourite music time can pass by quickly.

If you are inhaling every:

- 20 seconds (needs improvement)
- 30 seconds (fair)
- 45 seconds (good)
- minute (very good)
- one and a half minutes (excellent)
- two minutes (wow)

I myself have got lazy with this I used to be able to only need to breathe every one and a half minutes but now it is probably something in between 45 seconds to a minute.

Exercise 2:

Can you count?

Count slowly, make sure you enunciate every syllable VERY clearly, to the point its almost ridiculous. This is important, as a singer you want to be able to sing every possible sound in the human language.

Count as much as far as you can without taking a breath (without killing yourself).

A good goal would be to be able to count to 65-70.

Exercise 3:
Atonal Scales:

We are not singing yet, we are simply just practise saying these words clearly and loudly in a manner that does not strain your voice. When you breathe, make sure when you do have to breathe you do it in the exact same way we did it in our first exercise, from the diaphragm (expanding your stomach). Make sure that when you SPEAK these exercises they are also coming from that same place you breathe. For simplicity, I spelt everything phonetically.

1. Daah De Dee Doh, Daah De Dee Doh, Daah De Dee Doh Du
2. May Mee Mah Moe Moo, May Mee Mah Moe Moo, May Mee Mah Moe Moo
3. Ah Eh Eee O Eww, Ah Eh Eee O Eww, Ah Eh Eee O Eww
4. Doh Ray Me Fa Soul Fa Me Ray Doh
5. Day Dee Dah Doe Doo, Day Dee Dah Doe Doo, Day Dee Dah Doe Doo
6. Doh Me Soul Me Doh, Doh Me Soul Me Doh, Doh Me Soul Me Doh
7. Create your own variations.

Exercise 4:

Speaking and Proper Singing Form:

Ok so we’ve learned to crawl, now maybe we can take our first real baby steps.

Lets go over proper form:

1) Stand up straight
2) Shoulders back
3) Head straight ahead (or maybe slightly a little down, stylistic reasons)
4) Cheekbones up (to the point, that it looks like you are the joker and are making a stupid grin on your face).
5) Be CONFIDENT (very important)

Ok here are so weird ones:

6) Stand on your tip toes
7) Make your arms into a slightly broken ring above your head, every time you say a syllable make your hands come together.

The last two are only for practising purposes, these will help you feel your chest open up and will allow you to sing from your diaphram easier. If you already understand how to sing from your diaphram than these are not that necessary, but are still helpful. Now that you have learned this form make sure you apply it to all the exercises you have learned today.

Speaking:

Simple enough, we are going to talk. Make sure you use, all the techniques you have learned (breathing, form, etc.)

If you have to breathe at any point, make sure it is done so in a manner that doesn’t break-up individual words.

Practise this phrase:

The lemon tree is very pretty, and the lemon flower sweet. But the fruit of the poor lemon, is impossible to eat.

Create your own phrase, the best is to use lyrics from songs, or your own songs. Keep your breathing consistent; make sure you breathe in the exact same parts every time.

If you are getting bored, just talking and feel you are ready, you can practise singing a note (keep it monotone for now), when you say these sentences or lyrics.

I hope this was useful; check back for new lessons, in the near future.

Sliver

ScorpSath
03-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Sliver ur my hero!

Scarred4Life
03-30-2004, 05:25 PM
Wow, great lessons sliver, kudos. :thumb:

sleepy1212
03-31-2004, 12:53 PM
thanks sliver...i can sing but it helps with the exercises.

Question: I have a co-lead singer in my band who can't sing nearly as good as me but thinks he can. He refuses to take lessons because he feels they will ruin his "natural style." How do you get a stubborn as* to do his duty to the band and take the lessons?

Kif
03-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Apparently I have a gift for singing. I was in a lot of school plays and stuff, and I was sadly in the choir in year 7. I left because it was teh suk!

Kif
03-31-2004, 01:09 PM
Wow that's a great singing guide. I'm gonna start doing that from now on, as my singing voice through the mic completely sucks!

Nice on sliver :thumb:

sliver
03-31-2004, 03:28 PM
thanks sliver...i can sing but it helps with the exercises.

Question: I have a co-lead singer in my band who can't sing nearly as good as me but thinks he can. He refuses to take lessons because he feels they will ruin his "natural style." How do you get a stubborn as* to do his duty to the band and take the lessons?

get him to listen to a recording of himself singing... after he hears how horrible he sounds his confidence will be in the gutter :thumb:

MxShredder
03-31-2004, 04:00 PM
get him to listen to a recording of himself singing... after he hears how horrible he sounds his confidence will be in the gutter :thumb:

to get it done quickly, just hook him up to a 2 second delay, i give him about 30 seconds before -> :upset:

Dredg
04-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Excelent lesson Silver! :thumb: But I have a question - when you're talking about breathing properly and the timescale for inhaling, is that you holding your breath or imediatley exhaling?

DaneCobain
04-01-2004, 05:57 AM
I've got a question which is probably pretty hard to answer...

I reckon i'm pretty good at singing, my friends reckon I'm okay, and my parents think im crap.

Do you reckon that they say im crap cos they don't like the music i'm singing or because im crap. I admit that i'm crap when i've just got up, or when i've been siging for a while, cause my voice starts to break. They might just say that cos they are sick of me singing cos i sing all the time.

Also I heard somewhere that if you sing a load while your voice is breaking, then it strengthens your vocal chords. Is that true or is that crap as well?

Light_Fantastic
04-01-2004, 06:08 AM
Hmmmmm Interesting questions DaneCobain. I will try to answer them.
It is pretty sad when your own parents put you down, & call your singing crap. I was lucky. back in the day, both my parents were super supportive, even when I sucked starting out.
I think you parents might have "Issues" with your singing. You might ask them nicely, if they could just stay "Neutral", while you are learning your craft.
You style of music, especially if it's thrash, punk, or death metal, might be difficult for your parents to deal with, but hey, each generation has their own music.

Also, what you heard is NOT true. When your voice breaks & cracks & you go hoarse & feel some pain...that is your vocal chords telling you to "Lay off".There is some damage going on..So rest your voice, take large doses of Vitamin C, & some hot tea with a bit of honey...
& allow your vocal chords to heal...pushing your voice harder, will only result in permanent damage...

Good luck with your parents..I hope they cut you some slack...

Rock on...

Jay

Dredg
04-01-2004, 07:44 AM
*Feels left out cuz JayLink didn't answer his question* :upset:

Light_Fantastic
04-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Excelent lesson Silver! :thumb: But I have a question - when you're talking about breathing properly and the timescale for inhaling, is that you holding your breath or imediatley exhaling?

Sorry Dredg, I missed your post...
Good Question...

Two different exercises are the best way...
Inhaling & exhaling without holding is good, try long deep breaths..
And alternate with holding for what is comfortable after a deep breath , breathing in...
Also remember, that the nose is a filter....
In singing we try not to use the nose at all...Focus on breathing in & out of your mouth only, while will give your much more air & increace your lung capacity.

Take Care

Jay

DaneCobain
04-01-2004, 02:22 PM
You might ask them nicely, if they could just stay "Neutral", while you are learning your craft.
You style of music, especially if it's thrash, punk, or death metal, might be difficult for your parents to deal with, but hey, each generation has their own music.

I think they might get annoyed because I sing nearly all of the time now, trying to live up to the 'practice makes perfect' saying.

Besides my mom gets annoyed when I play my guitar, so it's probably that she thinks 'children should be seen and not heard'. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Dredg
04-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Ahh right - I see! I tried your exercise last night - managed 45 secs! Must be a natural :D

Omega Red
04-02-2004, 12:09 PM
can some one post the fach system and give some one who fits in each catagory. i would but i have no clue wtf a tenor, soprano...ect. is.

Screamin_Demon_Auz
04-02-2004, 02:52 PM
MALES
Tenor-Sings high because of thinned folds(Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden, Mike Tyson is also a tenor as you can tell by his speaking voice

Baritone-Someone who can sing well in mid-range, not too high, not too low but can still sing both high and low. (Steven Tyler from Aerosmith)

Bass-Someone who can sing extremley low notes with limited top range(Dont really know of any in popular rock music)

Women
Soprano-High female singer(Celiene Dion)
Alto-Lower Female Singer(Courtney Love or Pink)

This is very general, but should explain it well enough

Scarred4Life
04-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Also for females there is somethng called Contralto I believe. Its basically a lower female oice that is around the same range as a tenor.

Screamin_Demon_Auz
04-02-2004, 04:45 PM
thanks scarred4life,
i knew i forgot something

plus there are several different variations for these, but you can find the meanings by doing a search:
lyric baritone
lyric tenor
mezzo-soprano
bass-baritone
countertenor
the list goes on.......

Omega Red
04-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Soprano

- Soubrette
- Lyric Coloratura Soprano
- Dramatic Coloratura Soprano
- Lyric Soprano
- Lirico Spinto Soprano
- Spinto soprano
- Dramatic/Heroic Soprano

Mezzo-Soprano

- Lyric Mezzo-Soprano
- Dramatic Mezzo-Soprano

Contralto

- Dramatic Contralto
- Deep Contralto

Tenor

- Tenore Buffo
- Lyric Tenor
- Spinto Tenor
- Charaktertenor
- Dramatic/Heroic Tenor

Baritone and Bass-Baritone

- Lyric Baritone
- Kavalierbariton
- Dramatic Baritone
- Bass-Baritone

Bass

- Basso Buffo
- Bass
- Basso profondo

The Digital Pimp
04-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Back in the day they used to castrate boy singers, because it was thought that this preserved their high voice... Castrati they were called... *shiver*

http://www.cix.co.uk/~velluti/cast-what.htm

sliver2
04-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Some Bad News:

Well... I got banned :upset:

The Good News + an important life lesson:

Being banned does indeed suck BUT; life goes on (there is no point in bitching about it) and so must our lessons :) … the internet is serious business people, let that be a lesson (a lesson within itself?) to all of you out there who think otherwise.

Few things before I begin:

I forgot to mention, I have another thread called “screaming… some pointers?, (it was made from an older account I had, you can probably just find it in the search) it’s a crash course lesson in screaming, however many of the things I discuss in that lesson are similar to the singing techniques that I will be talking about today.

Please keep in mind EVERYTHING we learned last lesson, (breathing, proper form etc) as they are all imperative to practise if you want your voice to start improving. Also start practising in front of a mirror, this is key; since you are being self-taught, only you can find mistakes in your form and can correct yourself. This lesson isn’t going to be as long I am condensing and making it more to the point.

*remember C3 = middle C

Note: about major/minor scales:

When I say major scale, I have to assume that most of you know what I am talking about, (if not go read some theory I am not going to teach you music theory :p). I begin with major scales because they are by nature the easiest scale to hear, and sing by memory. Don’t believe me? Try to sing a minor scale on the spot from memory? It’s not so easy, is it?

Lesson 2:

Singing Simple Scale Exercises:

So last lesson we learned how to breathe and how to speak properly, hopefully everyone has been doing the exercises everyday and now we’re ready to move on to the fun stuff; singing.

Don’t get too excited though, we won’t be singing like Maynard any time soon. Let us start off by practising some simple major scale exercises.

Exercise 1:

Doh – Mi – Soul – Mi – Doh

Hopefully most of you are familiar with at least some music theory so you know that Doh is the first note in the major scale. I assume most (if not all) of the people reading this are probably males, and since most men are baritones my exercises will be a little more geared toward them.

You’re starting “Doh? note should be around Ab2 (i.e. Doh = Ab2, Mi = C#3, Soul = Fb3… just kidding E3). Do the exercise twice, and then begin going up in semitones; continue this until your starting “Doh? is at least B3 or Ab3. A good goal is to be able to have you starting note as D4 or D#4.

Exercise 2:

The rest of the exercises are pretty much the same except just extended versions of the first exercises.

2) Doh – Re – Mi – Fa – Soul – Fa – Mi – Re – Doh
3) Doh – Re – Mi – Fa – Soul – La – Ti – Doh (and backwards to Doh)
4) Replace these “words? with numbers
5) Replace these “words? with some of the atonal scales we learned last.
6) Use real words or sentences that will fit the patterns.

It is extremely difficult to know if you are on key especially when you are new to singing. I recommend recording yourself on a tape player and getting comfortable with your voice. Once you get comfortable with your own voice, your confidence will greatly improve, and so (funny enough) will your voice J

Exercise 3:

Falsetto Singing:

I am not going to get to into this yet, BUT if you are eager to start developing your falsetto voice try practising these exercises with it (try the octave up instead though).

"Hey its that that little voice inside your head; listen to me!".

READ this list, and constantly ask yourself these questions every time you feel your doing something wrong.

Are you keeping in mind the way you breathe?
Are you breathing in a soft rhythmical manner?
Does your breathing often occur in between words, breaking them apart? (It shouldn’t)
Do you feel out of breath?
Are you practising the exercises from the first week?
Are you practising in front of the mirror?
Are you in key?! Struggle! Struggle! Struggle! to stay in key!
Am I Recording?!
Am I being realistic? (i.e. am I trying to sing notes way out of my range?)

Stay vigilant, and confident in yourself. Every time you practise you are improving; even if YOU or anyone else doesn’t know it, you really are.

Until next lesson,

Sliver

denboy
04-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Sliver, were you a naturally good singer? Or have you worked your *** off to be as good as you are?

sliver2
04-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Sliver, were you a naturally good singer? Or have you worked your *** off to be as good as you are?

I honestly don't know, =/ The first memory I have of actual singing was about 6 years ago when I was 15 and did a small acoustic show for some girls and I totally sucked. :lol:

However, how good you are, depends much on how you view yourself and how confident (which I wasn't at ALL when I started on) you are in yourself.

I was alright, ever since the age of 12 I always sang to myself when I walked to school, but I wasn't amazing or anything, but I was ok. I know people who were a hell of lot more talented than I was when I started out, but haven't progressed at all as musicians or singer since; I am better than all of them now.

I would say the ratio is probably 50% natural talent, 50% perseverance and work. Other people have different people opinions on the matter, and obviously depending on the style of music you do natural talent might be worth more or less. For example, I don't have a talent or ear to sing opera, its very difficult for me, but I can sing jazz or rock easily. In the genre's of rock/punk/metal the ratio is probably more 40:60.

So to answer your question; both I guess.

sleepy1212
04-05-2004, 11:17 AM

that's probably a good idea but i think it's his ears and not his voice. oh well..the truth will become evident someday :evil:

italic zero
04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
According to silver's guide, I'm a bass. I consider myself a baritone. And I'm singing tenor in choir :(

I really need to strengthen my lower falsetto, I can hit a G or G# full voice, but when I'm getting into consistent long phrases above an E# or so, I start dying. However, my falsetto is not there at all below a G or so, which is a great annoyance. Other than just practicing lower falsetto a lot, are there any specific excersises I can do?

I'll give some more typical examples of vocal ranges, because I feel like it.

Tenor- Chris Cornell, Robert Plant
Baritone- Eddie Vedder, Maynard James Keenan
Bass- Everlast, not many others...

Itwasthatwas
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Bass- Everlast, not many others...

Wouldn't J Mann (i don't know what his real name is, thats what it says in the book.) from Mushroomhead be a bass? His voice is incredibly low. And probably Jens from Meshuggah... If he ever sings...

italic zero
04-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Yeah, probably a bunch of DM etc. vocalists, but very few in the pop/rock category. Strange, they show up in jazz, classical, blues, R&B, but not pop/rock.

thehellspawn
04-06-2004, 01:25 AM
Yea I havent been able to start trying your execrises yet, but besides my desire to be the greatest guitarist ever (no joke, though i know there is no greatest ever) I would love to be able to sing. I have been told i am tone deaf ever since i was like 8 and i used to sing to my moms beach boys cassete in the car, and i really started to believe it when i started playing guitar and i couldnt tune my own guitar (still can't which really isnt helping my guitar quest). My favorite singer is James Heitfield from Metallica, and i still try and match my voice to his all the time, and I noticed the only time i think that i come close is during nothing else matters, when he gets really low. I think i can hit low notes not really sure. Basically i was wondering do you think that with lessons, which my mom and dad have offered to get me, I could have a chance at being a decent singer? Thanks in advance.

sleepy1212
04-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Yea I havent been able to start trying your execrises yet, but besides my desire to be the greatest guitarist ever (no joke, though i know there is no greatest ever) I would love to be able to sing. I have been told i am tone deaf ever since i was like 8 and i used to sing to my moms beach boys cassete in the car, and i really started to believe it when i started playing guitar and i couldnt tune my own guitar (still can't which really isnt helping my guitar quest). My favorite singer is James Heitfield from Metallica, and i still try and match my voice to his all the time, and I noticed the only time i think that i come close is during nothing else matters, when he gets really low. I think i can hit low notes not really sure. Basically i was wondering do you think that with lessons, which my mom and dad have offered to get me, I could have a chance at being a decent singer? Thanks in advance.

try taking lessons or practice with someone that has a piano and an good ear(which is your problem) that way they can tell you when to correct your pitch. you'll get after a while.

Jet Black Stare
04-06-2004, 08:54 PM
How do you know if your in key?

italic zero
04-06-2004, 10:57 PM
If you can't tell yourself... ask someone else and learn to recognize it. Off key = sounds bad. That's how most people tell.

sliver
04-07-2004, 12:24 AM
If you can't tell yourself... ask someone else and learn to recognize it. Off key = sounds bad. That's how most people tell.

or just record yourself... if you can't tell still it means you are most likely tone deaf, sorry can't help you there :upset:

denboy
04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Not being able to tell if you're off key = Not tone deaf.
You get better at it after time.. Just practise singing along to music, when the singer from the musics voice "clashes" with yours, you're properbly off key

italic zero
04-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Singing along to music generally masks your own singing. It's much better to practice alone.

sleepy1212
04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Not being able to tell if you're off key = Not tone deaf.
You get better at it after time.. Just practise singing along to music, when the singer from the musics voice "clashes" with yours, you're properbly off key

it's just like tuning your guitar, when the resonation vol heightens the two strings are in tune (stated very basically i.e., sounds waves parallel or in sync with each other tend to have a reverberative quality out of tune strings don't have. it's sort of a "brightening" effect). you should be able to at least hear the pitches matching even when your singing. try singing in your car and get real close to the windshield so you get some echo although, you might not want to do this while driving.

not being able to tell = tone def but tone defness isn't permanent like regular defness. you can learn your way out of it. :thumb:

denboy
04-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Singing along to music generally masks your own singing. It's much better to practice alone.

Singing along to music helps improve being able to hear if your off key. Singing alone does not.

not being able to tell = tone def but tone defness isn't permanent like regular defness. you can learn your way out of it. :thumb:

If you mean, "not being able to tell if you're off key" = tonedeaf, then you're wrong.

Tonedeaf = Not being able to tell the difference between two pitches, wich would mean that all sounds and all music, would sound as if it was made up of only one pitch. And that, is very very rare

italic zero
04-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Singing along to music helps improve being able to hear if your off key. Singing alone does not.

Singing with a piano is what I meant. Singing along to music promotes bad technique and minimalistic singing. Singing with a piano you can slow down and get all the pitches, then speed it up.

denboy
04-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Singing with a piano is what I meant. Singing along to music promotes bad technique and minimalistic singing. Singing with a piano you can slow down and get all the pitches, then speed it up.

Ah, of course.. You're right!

ScorpSath
04-09-2004, 01:02 PM
So y do I think I sound really really good in my head?

italic zero
04-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Because you get the resonance of your vocal chords to travel through your cheek bones, making your voice sound fuller.

ScorpSath
04-09-2004, 11:49 PM
And I hear myself and i sound ok, so what do i do to make it sound like the voice in my head?

italic zero
04-10-2004, 12:12 AM
You'll never be able to sound exactly like you sound like you do in your head. Another reason you like it better is because that is how you are used to sounding. But with practice, you can make your voice sound better in general, I don't know any excersises for resonance in particular, but there are excersises to work on tone.

UNDERAGE
04-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Are emo singers all tenors then?

italic zero
04-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Pretty much :)

italic zero
04-15-2004, 08:43 PM
According to silver's guide, I'm a bass. I consider myself a baritone. And I'm singing tenor in choir :(

I really need to strengthen my lower falsetto, I can hit a G or G# full voice, but when I'm getting into consistent long phrases above an E# or so, I start dying. However, my falsetto is not there at all below a G or so, which is a great annoyance. Other than just practicing lower falsetto a lot, are there any specific excersises I can do?

No? :(

California Sky
04-19-2004, 01:39 AM
I'd like some tips, I started getting lessons but I had to discontinue them because they're so expensive, I can't find any affordable teaches around where I live. I got given a cd that has scales on it and I've learnt how to breathe properly, do I just keep practicing these and sing along to songs as practice? Also I find that I can hit higher notes pretty close, however even tho I know I can hit the lower notes I find it harder to match them, which is really quite annoying. Any help would be appreciated. I had somethin else to ask but I forgot :(

theagent
04-21-2004, 02:47 AM
There's a really good book called "Set Your Voice Free" by Roger Love http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316441791/ref=lpr_g_1/103-3247938-4945436?v=glance&s=books
comes with a cd...Has some very good lessons and excersises.

Phunphone
05-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi, I'm a human.

I can sing pretty much, and ove it, but I have a problem, and that's why I'm here. I barely go off- key.. but hate it when I do it. So, while trying to avoid this, I realized that I go off- key because my voice isn't strong and solid enough. When I try to make it solid, lower I get, the more "distorted" my voice becomes, and higher I get, the more fake and "robotic" it gets.

For example, let's take 2 pieces of music with really hard vocals:

1) Sting- Roxanne. From the start, Sting's voice enters pretty solid, goes high and low, but never loses its dynamic mood. But, when I sing it, I don't go off- key but my voice is very weak. When I try to make it stronger, well, it's not "clean".

2) Muse- Micro Cuts. The whole song is at falsetto, how nice. I can hit "all" of these notes, but they're not fluent enough, and when Matt Bellamy hits those high notes, his voice shakes, which gives it a strong feeling. I just can't do it like that. When I try to sing louder, I have no voice.

Any help? Pleease...:)

italic zero
05-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Practice expanding your range a lot, and make sure you support the notes with your diaphram.

ISuckAtGuitar
05-09-2004, 10:56 AM
How would i help this, i have about the deepest voice ever i can get it into higher octives but it turns into a screech, but i can pull of singing stuff from like AC/DC and Guns N Roses sometimes but how bout for like over all singing cuz im in a band and one song we cover is Senses Fail Bloody Romance and i cant seem 2 get my voice 2 get the high while staying in tune

italic zero
05-09-2004, 04:50 PM
You can practice gradually climbing in pitch, but if you have a deep voice, you have a deep voice. A bass trying to sound like a tenor isn't a pretty sound. Play to your strengths man, singing high is overrated anyway.

NiHil8R
05-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the awesome tips all. I used to be a really bad singer, all passion but no clue. I am better now halfway from beginner to intermediate -depending on the song.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks.

HAZCHEM
05-19-2004, 09:36 PM
I can always sing better when i'm singing to a cd, and even when i want to sing like the cd when playing with my band it still sounds ****. Any tips?

sliver
05-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Singing 101
Lesson 3: Staying in Key, Falsetto Singing, and Harmonizing

Hey everyone :wave:

Sorry I haven't been continuing my lessons but I've been real busy as of late with exams. Today has been the first day I've been able to just sit around and do nothing; so I thought I might as well type out another lesson.

Visualizing the note: My own method for "being on key"

Just a warning: this is a little unconventional, and may or may not work for some people; I created this technique a few years ago when I had problems just staying on key.

As a begginer, a lot of singing; is in your mind. I think the hardest part is learning to accept the way your voice sounds, and comming to terms with that. Once you do that, you can start improving. Thus, It is important to visualise; really think about the sound of the note you are singing before you sing it. I find the best way to do this is by focusing (imagining) a small dot on my forehead, and from that dot is where all the sound comes from. The higher I go up the higher on my forehead I stress, the lower I sing the lower on my forehead I stress. I found this usefull because melody is something that is untangeable, and by doing this it was a good way of fooling myself into gaining confidence because it felt like singing was just a matter of training muscles in my forehead.

Singing in Falsetto:

Falsetto is your "weaker", "higher", or "girly" voice. A lot of male singers try to get by without using their falsetto, this is insane; when used and trained properly and used in conjunction falsetto singing brings range and variety to your singing. Strengthening your falsetto ALSO develops your scream; thus if you want to learn to scream well, learn to falsetto sing! (for screaming tips check out the: "screaming... some pointers thread" I wrote)

How to do it:

Have you ever impersonated a women or drag queen before? You liked it didn't you? :naughty: Guess what? Now you have an excuse to let out all your homosexual tendancies like never before. That voice, thats really soft and high, that is your falsetto voice. I know at first it may seem like it sounds like crap, but seriously falsetto voice can sound ALMOST as strong and powerfull as full voice when its pushed.

Facial positions:
In falsetto, the tone is ALL in your face and in your neck. Thus it is critical that you have proper positioning down:

- cheekbones up
- mouth open as horizontally as possible
- drop your jaw vertically but not all the way (I know a its tradition to drop your jaw all the way down, but trust me; new techniques have been discovered that prove this won't allow you to get the best sound
- you face should look something like the Joker in Batman (to a less extreme of course :lol: )

#1 don't be afraid to sound like a complete idiot (because you will for a while)
#2 take a deep breath, expanding your diaphram
#3 PUSH from the top of your throat as opposed to in your stomach
#4 Your upper jaw should be slighted more forward than your bottom jaw, almost like you are going to bite something (like a cat)

Exercises:

Find the highest possible falsetto note you can sing, and just practise belting out those notes. A really good song for this is "I believe in a thing called love" by The Darkness. I know it might not be the greatest song ever, but it is something that most people could sing if they really practised. (i.e. I can do it and I am a baritone, its probably not possible for a bass to sing it though)

Falsetto singing just like regular singing needs exercises, practise the exercises we learned in previous lessons but using your falsetto voice.

Harmonizing:

A lot of people have trouble singing, hearing and differentiating harmonies in vocals. This is because to be able to harmonize you have to first be able to sing in key, however the great thing about it is you don't have to be the best singer in the world to harmonize.

For myself, I have never been a fan of learning other people's harmonies. I mean who cares? Why waste your time driving yourself mad trying to hear the two exact notes that the singers are harmonizing. Wouldn't it be a lot better to just make up your own harmonies to what he's singing?

Formally the easiest way to go about making a harmony is to just sing corresponding chord notes in the key the person is singing in.

ie. If I sing an A ===> You will sing an E

For those who are a little musically challenged. On the 5th and 6th string of a guitar if I sing:

A-----
E---5-

you sing

A---7-
E----- (its just singing different notes in a power chord)

(Note: Harmonizing is NOT just singing the same not the next octave up; although that does sound better sometimes anyway :p.)

Sometimes it is difficult not to both just sing the same note: for the guitar or bass player in the band who is probably harmonizing I sugguest maybe wearing earplugs, (so you don't get thrown off and you can hear yourself better) until you get better at it.

This is such a BORING way to harmonize, and it never sounds that great anyway. The best way to make up harmonies is just to strum the same chord patern as in your songs, and spontaneously come up with lower or higher melodies that are in key with the chords. This way when you cover a song, you don't sound exactly like the freakin band you're covering and you can make it sound original.

If you need anything explained clearer, or are just plain confused about a technique... :D just ask I.

Sliver

italic zero
05-20-2004, 04:50 PM
drop your jaw vertically but not all the way (I know a its tradition to drop your jaw all the way down, but trust me; new techniques have been discovered that prove this won't allow you to get the best sound

It's not so much dropping your jaw all the way down, it's relaxing your jaw. Keeping your jaw tense 3/4 of the way open won't do you any good.

sliver
05-20-2004, 10:19 PM
It's not so much dropping your jaw all the way down, it's relaxing your jaw. Keeping your jaw tense 3/4 of the way open won't do you any good.

I'm not really sure the why's; all I know is from my newer teachers techniques and from my own experiance when you drop your jaw A LOT, you loose this nice crisp clean tone of your voice that is from your diaphram and it puts more strain on your throat.

To your point about relaxing; sometimes tense is a good thing; being tight and in proper form can give you range you never thought you could get before. Being relaxed is necessary for singing lower, or singing mellow styles of music like jazz or funk. Unfortunately a side effect of sometimes tensing your jaw is your whole body up can get really tensed up =) when you do this you're going to tire yourself out REALLY fast, and it doesn't help your singing at all.

Just try it, unless you make a concious effort not to do it, when you tense your face your whole body will tense up.

Harmonisation
05-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey people, :wave:
As you can probably tell I am a complete noobie to this board but hopefully I will 'fit in' and can help out where ever I can.
I have been searching for a vocal help site for rock singers for sooo long and I am really impressed with how all of you guys (and girls) help each other out, you don't find that on alot of boards cause everyone is normally rippin everyone elses musical interest...so its a welcome change :). Also a big thanks to Silver, your lessons have been really helpful for me.
Keep it up guys and I hope to chat to you soon :thumb:

Inanimate Objects
05-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Vocal exercises for Acting are awesome for your voice, and physical warmups (Alexander technique, etc.) work wonders for concerts. I discovered this after returning home from closing night of a show and sitting down with my acoustic. Check it out, though. Who knows... maybe you'll become interested in Acting!

athedrivein213
05-26-2004, 11:04 AM
how do learn what notes to sing when your harmonizing. do u just have to have a good ear or do u just do what sounds right. i dont really understand this concept.

sliver
05-26-2004, 11:24 AM
how do learn what notes to sing when your harmonizing. do u just have to have a good ear or do u just do what sounds right. i dont really understand this concept.

I explained basic harmonies in my thread, all it is; is singing notes that correspond with each other on a scale (like a guitar chord). If you don't know how to play an instrument you can either learn one or you'll have to learn how to do it by ear.

athedrivein213
05-26-2004, 01:25 PM
does singing along with songs help any because thats what i usually do. I have been doing that alot lately to get down playing guitar and singing at the same time

Dredg
05-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Find the highest possible falsetto note you can sing, and just practise belting out those notes. A really good song for this is "I believe in a thing called love" by The Darkness. I know it might not be the greatest song ever, but it is something that most people could sing if they really practised. (i.e. I can do it and I am a baritone, its probably not possible for a bass to sing it though)

I find singing Jeff Buckley has greatly improved my falsetto voice, especially the very high, long sustained note near the end of 'Grace'. :thumb:

sliver
05-29-2004, 11:25 AM
does singing along with songs help any because thats what i usually do. I have been doing that alot lately to get down playing guitar and singing at the same time

this will not help you improve, sing with some sort of instrument so you can tell how often you sing out of key.

fluffhead
05-30-2004, 08:33 PM
im ok at singing and i can sing scales easily BUT when i sing songs i go off key relatively easily .lets assume i really really suck and im a begginer where should i start?? I really want to start from the beggining and work my way up

sliver
05-31-2004, 11:43 AM
im ok at singing and i can sing scales easily BUT when i sing songs i go off key relatively easily .lets assume i really really suck and im a begginer where should i start?? I really want to start from the beggining and work my way up

Are you sure you're singing the scales correctly? I've always found it the other way around... my advice to you is to break the songs apart. Because if you think about it songs are only long variations of scale.

Break apart your songs into 10 notes each part... once you can sing one part perfectly add on another part (ad infinitum) until you can sing the whole song.

theabstract
05-31-2004, 06:59 PM
that sucks pretty hardcore that you parents think your singing sucks.
My parents have been pretty suppportive about me singing. When my band did our first CD my mum suggested that I get lessons, she said I should start lessons, coz i sounded great live but not as good on Cd, said I sounded Flat (as in dead, she wouldn't have a clue what flat realy means) anyway, I got pretty offended and thought that she was putting me down, but in the end I went to lessons, and its the best thing I've ever done, and now, i sound better recorded than I do, in stinky, smoky, discustung, horrible, drunki filled Bars! hey i guess its better than working at Mc donalds

Screamin_Demon_Auz
05-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Sliver,
any other techniques you have of working on songs. My coach has given me some great suggestions, but I still feel overwhelmed sometimes with songs because it feels like it's just too hard focus and get them done well. I like to be able to systematically break everything down so that it's much easier to work on any problems at all, but need some more methods for some of my more harder songs to sing like Dokken's Dream Warriors and songs that are all over the place like that.

evilfrosty2001
06-01-2004, 08:54 AM
my problem is that 1) although my singing voice sounds high.. i cant reach the pitch of some singers.. such as dustin of thrice. and when at its highest it sounds like utter waily ****.

2) my voice can only go between a soft singy choir voice to screaming.. like wtf. help is appreicated.. i dont sing at all.. but it wouldnt hurt to become a tad better.

Nature_1
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Silver great tips man ! Hats off to you ! Also for the guitarists who want to improve their singin, use the C Major scale (starts on 3rd fret on the A string, if you don't know the C major scale ask and I'll post it) use the vowels first, then go to the 4th fret then 5th etc.. Then try octave jumps (with the vowels) I didn't find out about this by myself so the credit should go to my guitar teacher.

panicnation
06-05-2004, 11:17 AM
hi i've been singing in my band for over a year now. We're mostly an indie type band w/ a vocal style tt's somewhere between pavement and trail of dead (when they decide to sing). I think i have the right range and the right amount of "whine" to suit our music but i have a lot of problems trying to make my voice more "solid". Another problem i have is amplifying my voice. When i try to sing louder i just invariably end up going falsetto or my voice will crack. But when I sing at home without having to compete w/ the other instruments I sound a lot better. So any tips on 1) making my voice less thin 2) amplifying?

PoisonTheWell
06-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks a lot Silver, this has helped me out a lot. My friend screams and I sing for our band. It used to sound like crap but now there is a lot of improvement. I will be sure to have my friend read the screaming thread you posted a while back. Thanks again. :thumb:

Mike

Dredg
06-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Hey Silver, quick question - is there such a thing as lower falsetto?

Screamin_Demon_Auz
06-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Dredg I can answer that
You actually sing in falsetto starting at about the mid of your chest voice range, but it doesnt sound to good. I would stick to using falsetto for the higher notes

italic zero
06-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Dredg I can answer that
You actually sing in falsetto starting at about the mid of your chest voice range, but it doesnt sound to good. I would stick to using falsetto for the higher notes

w...t...f..?

That can't be right. My falsetto craps out completely at the high end of my head voice range. That would just be freakish...

panicnation
06-07-2004, 11:15 AM
ok so like...no one has answered my question yet

Screamin_Demon_Auz
06-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Falsetto is usually used for high notes; that's pretty much the point of it. However, even though I hate opera, there are Countertenors who sing almost completley in falsetto. The sing a small range in chest voice and then they cover what most people cover in chest and head in falsetto, so that they can sound more blended. The lower notes kind of sound like Miss Piggy though...

SillyPuddyonIce
06-08-2004, 06:00 PM
My vocalist in my band wants to know how to sing kind of punk...

Like he can do it kind of, but it hurts his voice. Is there a way to do it to not damage your voice. We are a ska band so maybe think Keasby Nights Catch 22, and Mustard Plug when he sings that way.

MacLoud23
06-09-2004, 07:01 AM
is there any possibility to adopt the vocal technique of some deeper-sounding nu-rock-singers that came up in the 90ties like scott stapp or maybe aaron lewis?
are they stressing any muscle more or less strong than other singers or is it simply their natural singing voice that is powerful (in stapp´s case)?

thx

Screamin_Demon_Auz
06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
that's just the way stapp's larynx is. it can produce those sounds, it's his natural tone

sliver
06-10-2004, 08:06 AM
is there any possibility to adopt the vocal technique of some deeper-sounding nu-rock-singers that came up in the 90ties like scott stapp or maybe aaron lewis?
are they stressing any muscle more or less strong than other singers or is it simply their natural singing voice that is powerful (in stapp´s case)?

thx

My only advice would be to actualy sit down and LISTEN to the way these singers pronounce words and syllables. Singing technique in all forms of singing is EXACTLY the same; the actual difference between "styles" isn't something you can really teach. Once you learn to sing well, you will find it easy to emulate singers that you listen to a lot. Devlop your own voice first though, then choose a style of singing you like, listen closely to the way these singers in this genre sing, and try to come up with your own interpretation of the style.

You can't however change your range, if you are a baritone, you'll probably stay a baritone, if you're a tenor you'll probably stay a tenor. I think almost all "new" rock singers are baritones--which is a good thing because that is the most common vocal range for most males.

My vocalist in my band wants to know how to sing kind of punk...

Like he can do it kind of, but it hurts his voice. Is there a way to do it to not damage your voice. We are a ska band so maybe think Keasby Nights Catch 22, and Mustard Plug when he sings that way.

See above, and read my lessons in the thread.

Hey Silver, quick question - is there such a thing as lower falsetto?

My only answer to this is... "I guess so...?" but why would you ever want to use it? As you approach the lower notes of anyone's range, it starts sounding progressively worse and worse. I sometimes sing lower notes softly through my throat instead of my diaphram during calmer parts of songs, its sort of a half falsetto, half full, voice; but thats not really "low falsetto." Unless you're doing a joke band, I don't know why you would ever try use this voice, it sort of sounds like a dragqueen impersonator... it's just annoying and pointless, anytime I hear someone do it; I just want to punch the guy out. :lol: sorry

SillyPuddyonIce
06-10-2004, 08:57 PM
I have no idea how to sing and now that I've read this I am pretty confident I'm gonna be able to teach myself to an extent. Thanks for the lessons Sliver they're really good.

Rubedo
06-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Wow really comprhensive lessons dude. Good advice! Anyways, a little help here for me please. Like what's my problem if I can only sound good when I sing something hostile and angry, but when I try singing something harmonicly I sound like utter cow fart or something. There's just so little loud and hostile singing bits thrown into my band's songs, it's overall harmonic, but I can't do it. Is it my voice range or will I just never be able to be harmonic and should just stick to the whole angry heavy metal singing I do? Blah, what should I do?

clearvision
06-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey guys, I really wanna be able to sing. I play rhythm and piano and would just like to encorporate reasonable singing into my stuff. Can you give me some tips? I will probably do a post like this in the scream thread when i have a free house.

Me singing broken by seether : www.geocities.com/chappers_1988/broken.mp3

me singing trouble by coldplay : www.soundclick.com/clearvision

Me singin run by snow patrol : www.geocities.com/chappers_1988/run.mp3

Right click and 'save as' for broken and run...

Rubedo
06-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Hmm or is it just a puberty thing that causes me to sound like crap most of the time...

theabstract
06-13-2004, 01:38 AM
hey guys just wondering, hoe much bigger is it possible to make your range.

I have been singing for ages, but I have recently purchase the mars volta album. I can sing most of it, but there are a few notes I just cant hit, so I was wondering if I will be able to improve my range enough to hit those notes. Foe example, I can hit a B, but I need to hit the D.
Thanx

Harmonisation
06-13-2004, 05:32 AM
hey guys just wondering, hoe much bigger is it possible to make your range.

I have actually increased my range by about 1.5 octaves so it is possible :thumb:

scoo2ter
06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
I have one question, i admit i am a preaty bad signer, i want to be better. Is there any chance or do you have to be born with atleast a fair bit of signing talent

theabstract
06-15-2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks Harmonisation!

Harmonisation
06-15-2004, 10:47 AM
I have one question, i admit i am a preaty bad signer, i want to be better. Is there any chance or do you have to be born with atleast a fair bit of signing talent

You do have a really good chance of becoming a good singer. I think the only time that people really, really cant sing is when they they are tone def. By that I mean can't tell the difference about diffrent keys and key changes...not that they can't hear anything cause thats preti darn mean :upset:

The only advantage with being born with the ability to sing good is that they don't have to work as hard. If you really want to sing good and your not that hot at the second, you've just got to work amazingly hard. Get a teacher or join a choir or just practise on your own. It is possible to become really good because I've been teaching my guitarist to sing, and now he is improving incredibly on what he was and can actually pull off a song, which I dont even think he would of dreamed when we started! :lol:

Look at Silvers lessons as he has written down the key basics (breathing, mouth movement etc etc) and just kinda advance at your own pace from there! Happy singing :thumb:

Chippy569
06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
hey silver (or anyone) i need some advice. My girlfriend has a beautiful singing voice and she's really good with choir-style music. However, she desperately wants to sing in a more rock-style. i dunno what to tell her tho... any tip?

i'm thinking drup the vibrato and add a hint more muscle...?

scoo2ter
06-15-2004, 03:38 PM
You do have a really good chance of becoming a good singer. I think the only time that people really, really cant sing is when they they are tone def. By that I mean can't tell the difference about diffrent keys and key changes...not that they can't hear anything cause thats preti darn mean :upset:

The only advantage with being born with the ability to sing good is that they don't have to work as hard. If you really want to sing good and your not that hot at the second, you've just got to work amazingly hard. Get a teacher or join a choir or just practise on your own. It is possible to become really good because I've been teaching my guitarist to sing, and now he is improving incredibly on what he was and can actually pull off a song, which I dont even think he would of dreamed when we started! :lol:

Look at Silvers lessons as he has written down the key basics (breathing, mouth movement etc etc) and just kinda advance at your own pace from there! Happy singing :thumb:

I know lots about keyes and tones since i am a guitarist, should that help?

sliver
06-15-2004, 04:50 PM
hey silver (or anyone) i need some advice. My girlfriend has a beautiful singing voice and she's really good with choir-style music. However, she desperately wants to sing in a more rock-style. i dunno what to tell her tho... any tip?

i'm thinking drup the vibrato and add a hint more muscle...?

this is easy... first she has to actualy listen to rock music, and LIKE IT. It's almost impossible to sing in a style that you don't like and don't listen to all the time. That is the big thing, choose a female singer she wants to sound like, and listen to her and pay attention to the way she sings the notes.

I think the trick about rock singing is it is a lot more "out there" and "extreme", basically pushing your voice to the limits... thats why in other forms of singing you don't hear the "scratchy" or "scream" voice. Rock singing (for me anyway) is about controling extremes, being able to scream at one moment, and then finishing of with a light falsetto. This involves a lot of practise and discipline, she has to PUSH her voice through her diaphram and not be afraid of being loud. I'm not sure else what to say :D

Chippy569
06-15-2004, 05:01 PM
merci, mon ami! I'll tell her.

BlacklightGuitarist
06-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Hey, this is a great thread. I was under the impression that I was a half decent singer until about half a year ago, when I heard myself through a monitor and wanted to find a deep dark hole. Anyway, I want to be good enough to do lead vocals, but I have real difficulty hearing myself to tell whether I'm in key or not. I'm not tone-deaf, coz I tune my guitar sweet as.

I was told by a friend of mine that if you sing really high up in your chest voice, you can get that sort of husky voice that the fulla from Feeder has... Is that true, coz if so, I'm SO doing that.

Cheers,
Andy

Harmonisation
06-16-2004, 07:16 AM
scoo2ter > It is helpful because you know what kinda pitch you are aiming for and you can kind of gather how much work you have got to do. Also cause you are already a guitarist you should know basic theory which is extreamly helpful!

BlacklightGuitarist > I'm not sure about singing high up in ure chest gives you a 'feeder feel', I think thats one for Silver to answer :confused:

But you shouldn't feel bad that you sounded abit...shall we say 'dodgey' over a PA. I think every singer feels a little shocked when they first hear themselves for the first time over a monitor cause it isn't what you expect and I know cause I felt the same! You think you sound OK cause when you sing it causes vibrations to spred up your cheek bones (or some bone in that facial reigion) and then into your ears, so what you are hearing is a different sound to what the person sitting next to you is hearing. It's just something that you have to practise and then you just become aquainted with it and accept that sound as being you!

When you say that you can't tell wether your in key or not, I presume thats when your singing over a PA, but if not Im sori! But if that is what you mean, I started off buy just standing as close as I could to the PA speakers without getting massive feedback! Im now however looking at getting ear monitors which allow you to hear 10x more clearly and allow you a bit more freedom to 'express yourself' with the ole vocals. Hope I helped :thumb:

Moneener
06-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Does anyone have any tips for an emo/screamo singer. I've never been in a band myself, but I have one potentially in the works. What are some good tips for possibly making my tone higher, and screamo-style screaming? Thanks.

Chippy569
06-16-2004, 10:44 PM
hey sliver... today i got the notion that i would sing/record a song for my girlfriend, seeing as our 2 year anniv. is coming up. i need some help tho... i'd describe my voice as weak and quivery. is i my breathing or just in my head?

hollyhox
06-17-2004, 09:12 AM
hey, i would really love to sing and scream, ive read all ur stuff on both but i have a major problem.........i get extremely embarrased like not ur average embarrasment i feel sick and have awful cramps and i freak out about sounding **** or making a fool of myself, i guess you could call it a phobia in someway, will i sound better if im singing to music or will it be the same without???? and also bout the fear thing ppl tell me to relax and all that **** but wen i am and i go to sing i just cant, even infront of close friends who i know for a fact cant sing to save their life...

signed singaphobic

hahaha i hadto put that in..

hollyhox
06-17-2004, 09:14 AM
oh i forgot something, it not like i cant get up infront of people because i guess if i was in school i would be the class clown, im always trying to make people laugh and making a fool of myself (fool as in funny, not what i wrote in the first one) when i do that its ok
and i blush like crazy, like head up is bright red, when i get embarrased

Harmonisation
06-17-2004, 02:13 PM
hollyhox > Really dont worry about being nervous...everyone gets it to begin with! The first time you get up on stage or just get up where everyone is watchin you is just...unbelieveably horrible...yet at the same time totally exhilerating and when you get stop you'l want to get up agen. Your mind has just gota get used the the fact that everyone is watching you and then you'l be fine and stop feeling so ill! Also, dont wori about making a total a*se out of yourself, you gota remember that the majouraty of people who are watchin you are not only wanting to hear you sing but at the same time see a show!

Chippy569
06-17-2004, 11:24 PM
hehe. if you ever get nervous, just pretend that everyone's naked!

(haha... i remember in health class we had to write letters to the opposite sex, and one of the guys was nervous to read his letter to the ladies, and the teacher asked him what to do about nervousness, and he said that ^... it was only funny 'cuz he's the biggest perv ever!)

Harmonisation
06-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Chippy > Tat does work until you see a beast of a male/female and then her need to throw up might increase :p

Chippy569
06-18-2004, 12:16 PM
true, i guess... *grossed*

Platinum_warlock
06-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Ok i know im a Bass my voice is very low and thats an ok think i think, but my voice sounds boring while singing, sort of hard to explain but i know im in key and everything by playing guitar and singing and recording it, im just wondering if anyone has some tips to help me sing a bit higher than a bass range or not sound as "boring" while singing, i can also scream emo style and it sounds pretty good but its almost like im forcing that sound, and thats not all i want to do i want to sing
thanks

Harmonisation
06-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Platinum_warlock > The only advice I would give to you is have a go at singing some songs in falsetto and see how you get on. You might just find however that your voice is stuck in base and try and advance or express yourself more through that. But as Ive said throughout, people can always change their voices for the better so just have a bash at falsetto or if you can't do it by yourself and are still determined to get higher, have alook at getting a singing teacher as they will do the best they can with you.
In regards to your screaming, I think that every type of vocalists scream sounds as if its being forced out and I think its a difficult thing to escape. But have alook at the 'screaming' threads (as their are a few of them) and see if anyone in there can help you more!

Platinum_warlock
06-19-2004, 12:42 PM
alright thanks :thumb:

sliver
06-21-2004, 12:22 AM
hey, i would really love to sing and scream, ive read all ur stuff on both but i have a major problem.........i get extremely embarrased like not ur average embarrasment i feel sick and have awful cramps and i freak out about sounding **** or making a fool of myself, i guess you could call it a phobia in someway, will i sound better if im singing to music or will it be the same without???? and also bout the fear thing ppl tell me to relax and all that **** but wen i am and i go to sing i just cant, even infront of close friends who i know for a fact cant sing to save their life...

signed singaphobic

hahaha i hadto put that in..

record yourself, listen to yourself, get comfortable with your voice.

ask your mom/dad/sister/friend to listen to you (someone you trust and wouldn't feel to bad singing in front of) ask them they're your opinion. If they like it, (honestly) then you should worry.

Thats why I always ask my mom, she was brutaly honest with me in regards to vocals when I started. I don't know about you guys, but I prefer criticism when its constructive, its the best way to develop. Get comfortable singing in front of people you know.

The funny thing is I am comfortable singing in front of strangers, but not my father... I don't know why, he always makes me feel... like I'm not good around him. Good luck, keep practising everyone.

SillyPuddyonIce
06-21-2004, 11:35 AM
My vocalist is new to singing. When he is just singing out of key however he wants he sounds awesome, but once he gets in key and stuff he sounds pretty bad. I told him just to keep practicing and ****, but I was wondering if you had anyways excercises or something that can help with this.

Harmonisation
06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
SillyPuddyonIce > Look at some of Silvers lessons, some good warm up techinques on there!

whutadilly
06-22-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm a female singer. I have a band. For now, my band used to play the song that we like - no matter what the genre. My voice is very clean, normal range but pretty low for a female vocal.
My question : is it possible for a female singer to do growl vocals? can you help me with that? i mean, the technique to reach distorted voice, and everything. what i want is kinda punk rock growl.

that's it, sorry for my bad english :p

Harmonisation
06-23-2004, 01:46 PM
whutadilly > I would of thought that it was possible for females to perform growl vocals. Theres a metal band out at the second (Im really sorry Ive forgotten their name...I'l remember and put in on here so you can have alook) and they have some of the most powerful growls and vocals in general that Ive ever heard. Then I heard off a mate that the vocalist was a gir!! I honestly thought he was taking the royal p*** outa me until he got me a video of em and I was utterly gobsmacked. (Ha...'gobsmaked'...aint used that word for adges) So it is possible!! If theres a female vocalists out there that know about this please help aswell!! :thumb:

whutadilly
06-26-2004, 07:05 AM
hi Harmonisation, thanks for your reply :)
and what i see is most of this forum's member is male :( but i really need help from you all, plz

Reflection
06-26-2004, 07:17 PM
The band Arch Enemy has a female growler on their newest album I think.

Harmonisation
06-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Thats it!!! Arch Enemy is the band I was on about!! Thanx alot Deftone :thumb:

italic zero
06-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Okay, got my setup pretty well. Here's some of my singing. (Don't listen to any of the other songs!)

http://fileserv1.soundclick.com/fastg6\HiF/thedirtyoranjbunny+waitaway.mp3

Tried to hide behind effects as much as I could, what do you think? Any advice? It's all improv, because I'm lazy. So the lyrics are simple and make no sense.

theabstract
06-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Your not a bad singer at all. I can tell your didn't enjoy listening to your self recorded, because of the FX, but if you listen to yourself more often you get over it. keep up the good work. You need to work on having a wider range of notes in your medody.

italic zero
06-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Hehe. Yes, that was the failing of me improvising the melody. I'm lazy :(

I can record myself clean, I just thought that the ambient effects enhanced that song.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/standsformusic.htm

here's an expanded version with some guitar.

Metallicadrummer
06-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Hey, i'm not actually singing in a band, i play drums...hence the name, but james hetfield has a really wierd voice...i don't know what it is he does, but if you listen to S&M, then the way he's singing is just...well, wierd...it's not low, and it's not high, but then again...it's not really in the middle either...i'm probably making myself look like a twat here, but what is it he does to make his voice sound so, big and strong (i suppose that would be the only way to put it) i'm not a singer, but i'd really like to have a go at being able to sing like that.

if i've made a complete mess of myself here, please put me right...

shadedlife
06-29-2004, 01:10 PM
I have a song recorded where I'm singing (and playing the other instruments, but that's not the point) http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/shagramusic.htm
the song is called indirection (click on the version that says (w/vox))

AfroDrummer16
06-30-2004, 06:53 PM
^^^dude, that singing was alright, but the music sucked....your drummer was HORRIBLE......

shadedlife
06-30-2004, 07:31 PM
it's just the way that it was compiled - did it one track at a time without metronomes. It's just a draft anyhow. the guy can pull out some wicked chops, and i assure you he's really ****in good

Metal Meltdown
06-30-2004, 07:38 PM
I owul dlove to learn how yo sing death metal vocals its not shouting though its like a really heavy exhail of air lol listen to some of the opeth songs like masters apprentices youll see what i mean

shadedlife
06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Mikael is one amazing growler. check out the screaming 101 part 2 thread.

eski
07-02-2004, 12:44 PM
So I just finished reading this entire thread. My problem I have yet to solve is, I can sing a lot louder in a high wimpy voice (almost in falsetto) than I can singing lower, the stuff I sing lower is how i tend to sing when i sing quietly. Id prefer to go the lower root, but from PA experience, its not quite loud enough. What should I do? I push my voice as hard as I can and i dont get any louder.

BlacklightGuitarist
07-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Is it true that continually singing high up in your chest voice leads to getting a nice warm husky voice?

thenextgarcia
07-04-2004, 11:03 PM
i can play guitar and i can sing (pretty well) but i just can't put the two together. My timing just gets thrown off and it seems just impossible to do it, any tips. thankz

shadedlife
07-05-2004, 09:14 AM
eski - just try pumping up the mic levels. try warming up your voice before singing, and make sure you're projecting to your fullest potential.

grungefan21
07-07-2004, 12:29 AM
I play guitar and I'd love to learn how to sing. I was wondering if asthma limits your abilty to sing. I have it and I get out of breath pretty quickly. Also, I can't sound exactly like any singer I listen to. I can harmonize with whatever I'm listening to in octaves or whatever I may be doing but I'm always either too high or too low to duplicate whatever I'm listening to. The closest I come to duplicating is the section right before the chorus in a song called Praise by Sevendust. I can nail that pretty well but that's honestly about it.

Some guys I think I have great voices are Chris Cornell, Robert Plant, Steve Perry, Layne Staley, and Lajon Witherspoon. I'd love to sing like them but I'm pretty horrible right now.

Burningwater
07-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Help!!
I can match pitch but my voice is horrible! How do I fix this!?

PinkFloyd
07-13-2004, 01:11 AM
I have a few questions about singing notes.

Ok let's say I'm playing a song in the Key of D. Now would I have to sing all Ds? Or just slant my voice a certain way to get into the key of D.

Are there ways to slant your voice to enter certain keys?

Also, how do I know for sure what notes I'm singing. I can't sing something and say "That was an F#". I don't really have perfect pitch so how do you guys go about knowing what your range is and what notes your singing?

Reflection
07-14-2004, 02:03 PM
I've got a big problem. My throat is always always covered with phlegm. This prevents me from singing high. Well high for me at least. I've got a relatively low speaking voice but when I try to sing, the phlegm in my throat contstantly prevents me from singing high. It'll either make my voice crack or just make no sound come out of throat. Is there anyway to get rid of this? I'm not talking about singing high like Geddy Lee of Rush or Coheed and Cambria but like a lot of songs by Thrice. I can sing some of them but I really can't when he sings high. Please help!

shadedlife
07-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Are there ways to slant your voice to enter certain keys? no. you just have to make sure you are singing all of the right notes that are in the key.
how do you guys go about knowing what your range is and what notes your singing? to see what your range is, you can just check your highest and lowest notes on a keyboard/guitar/whatever. To see what notes you're singing, you have to know what notes the background music is playing. If you're singing a capella, you just have to have relative pitch. From what you're saying, it seems that you don't know much about music. Read up, learn how to read sheet music, and keep learning. good luck.

deftone - you've got to go into falsetto. Other than that, clear your throat often and drink water. I guess you have to live with your voice. If you have a low voice, then there's basically no way to sound like the guy from Thrice (I'm pretty sure he's a tenor). Your strong range is probably a lot lower than that.

Reflection
07-14-2004, 08:39 PM
No I don't think I can even go falsetto because my throat prevents me from doing it. It's really frustrating. Thanks for the help though. I guess maybe Thrice songs are out of my range.

shadedlife
07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Maybe go to a doctor or a vocal specialist. There might be a way to get rid of your problem. Good luck

Reflection
07-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Alright, thanks a lot for the help :).

jackblack
07-18-2004, 02:08 AM
oh man, this is so cool...a bunch of guys talking about singing...and actually knowing what they are talking about...being a choir bumb, i find this impossibly cool. ANYWAY, i'd like to ask you all, is it possible to scream without damaging your voice? If there's a way, i'd take it...i can belt, i can yell on pitch, but cannot for the life of me scream on pitch...any help? or has this already been answered? a way to scream while maintaning a chamber-choir-quality voice, much like switching between the 'clean' and 'distorted' channels on you amplifier? or is that impossible?

jackblack
07-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Help!!
I can match pitch but my voice is horrible! How do I fix this!?

erm...i know a bit about singing myself...pitch is only one of four parts of quality sining. The other three are Tone, Vowels, Breathing. Remember, breathe through the area UNDER your ribs...through your gut...more air that way. Also, take care not to take loud, noisy breaths...

as to tone...open your mouth...don't sing through your nose like Kurt Cobain did in some parts of You Know You're Right (1st verse, 'things have never been so swell, etc.)...it sounds kind of...well...nasal. You know that muscle you stretch when you yawn? try to stretch that muscle when you open your mouth to sing...imagine a snake swollowing an egg. and keep the tounge back!

and alas, VOWELS! the worst case of bad-vowels i have ever heard is Wierd Al, who has an otherwise great voice. Don't sing with whatever accent you have (american is worst)...the lines "so close, no matter how far/ couldn't be much more from the heart" should sound more like "So close, no mattuh how fawr/ couldn't be much mowah from the heawrt" but don't leave OUT the 'R's...just soften them. English and Irish/Scottish singers will have an easier time with this. The "a"s should be softer, more like "aw"s...you know what i mean? just imitate the Beatles for good vowels if you're totally lost...good vocals all around, actually ("Yesterday" is prime example of this). The S&M album by Metallica also has excellant vocals, particularly "Outlaw Torn" and "Sad but True".

hope this helped somehow....

sorry, everyone probably knew everything i wrote here...just thought i'd throw in my own bit of wisdom, whatever it be worth.

James and the Giant peach
07-25-2004, 07:04 AM
i can play guitar and i can sing (pretty well) but i just can't put the two together. My timing just gets thrown off and it seems just impossible to do it, any tips. thankz

I've got the same problem. the two things apart are pretty descent but when i combine them, one always gets kinda crappy. especially with difficult songs. Help on this one?

Reflection
07-26-2004, 03:50 AM
Practice, that's the only way you can achieve singing and playing simultaneously. There aren't too many tricks to doing this. Just start out playing and singing the song at half speed. As you keep progressing in guitar, singing over it will become easier as well.

Kafkastolemyslippers
07-26-2004, 06:11 PM
start by playing chords with 8th notes while singing so you can really get good at changing chords at the right time. From there, start making the strumming pattern more complicated until it has a rhythm completely independent of the vocal melody. This should give your playing and your singing more independence

Teh Jude
07-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I can't sing, at all.
I have a relatively lower than normal voice(I'm a girl) and I can't seem to go more than a not above my speaking range.
I can scream way above it, and make it sound OK.
I can't sing though.
What should I do?
-And I hate metal. Don't want to be a screamer.

shadedlife
07-26-2004, 07:04 PM
you might have a certain thing in your brain that doesn't let your voice move away from a certain set of tones. There are a few girls in a choir I used to play with that had that problem. I don't know if you can overcome it.

sliver
07-26-2004, 08:04 PM
new acoustic recordings.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/slivermusic.htm

loki_cmr
07-27-2004, 12:40 AM
hey guys im going to start a singing forum because i have looked all around the web and found really crappy ones or forums with a small section for it. This forum will hopefully become a sorta "official" singers forum where singers of all styles can some and talk about technique and other stuff. I was just wondering how many of you guys would be interested to see if i should really make this forum. Also if i do make it i was wondering what it should be called.

Silver:hey if i do make the forum, im definately going to have a lessons section and was wondering if i could borrow your singing lessons in this thread. i want to place them in that forum section and give you credit. thnx for the help, im also trying to get good at singing.

Burningwater
07-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Is my unsmooth singing voice(too much vibration when recording) a lack of strong vocal chords/muscles?

sliver
07-28-2004, 12:16 AM
hey guys im going to start a singing forum because i have looked all around the web and found really crappy ones or forums with a small section for it. This forum will hopefully become a sorta "official" singers forum where singers of all styles can some and talk about technique and other stuff. I was just wondering how many of you guys would be interested to see if i should really make this forum. Also if i do make it i was wondering what it should be called.

Silver:hey if i do make the forum, im definately going to have a lessons section and was wondering if i could borrow your singing lessons in this thread. i want to place them in that forum section and give you credit. thnx for the help, im also trying to get good at singing.

yah whatever thats cool.

j0s1ah
07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
hey all whats up, cool lessons, i can't tell if they have been overall helpful yet, b/c i have just been in this forum for one day. i love music, i play guitar, i wanna sing. i'm learning and i might take some lessons. from what i gather, vocal chords are just like normal muscles...you have to train them to be strong/sound good. to train them you practice scales among other exercises? correct?

sliver - i like that 'someday' song
guy who wanted the vocal forum - good idea, i would join.
here is a thread from another forum with great advice
http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79443

bitches_&_hoes
07-30-2004, 06:01 AM
man,silver..........your singing sounds great.
keep up the good work.

frictionfree
07-30-2004, 03:33 PM
i have no falsetto voice hah i mean i cant go high at all or do any of the stuff my friends can like even jk around witha high voice it just went away heh but i was wondering if its cuss i dont know how to use it or could it be i just dont have one? for my singing i cant even reach most of the notes bands sing and its just a normal note im just an octave below

chickenpotpie
08-01-2004, 02:46 AM
what exactly is falsetto? i'm sorry if this has already been asked. i'm assuming that the darkness uses it alot? i've been told i can go higher than him.

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:25 AM
what exactly is falsetto? i'm sorry if this has already been asked. i'm assuming that the darkness uses it alot? i've been told i can go higher than him.

Falsetto is technically when you use your windpipe like a flute. its the airy high notes that come from using your vocal cords less, opening them up and using your false vocal cords to cut the air. in laymens terms, its when you sing high girly notes. yes, the darkness is a perfect example.

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:28 AM
Is my unsmooth singing voice(too much vibration when recording) a lack of strong vocal chords/muscles?

vibrato is quite natural for some people. some people want it and dont have it. as long as the tone is fluctuating in key i wouldnt worry. if youre actually talking about vibrato. otherwise....if it doesnt sound good then youre either closing your throat or youre weak or who knows what. you should send in an example.

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:36 AM
I can't sing, at all.
I have a relatively lower than normal voice(I'm a girl) and I can't seem to go more than a not above my speaking range.
I can scream way above it, and make it sound OK.
I can't sing though.
What should I do?
-And I hate metal. Don't want to be a screamer.

it could be that
1. youre just not made for higher notes with your cords and:
2. your falsetto starts earlier than you like or
3. youre closing off your throat as you try to pull up on the cords for a higher note, a common occurence. read my replies in this thread below. i know you dont want to know how to scream but the principals are all the same. :wave:

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214130

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:49 AM
I've got a big problem. My throat is always always covered with phlegm. This prevents me from singing high. Well high for me at least. I've got a relatively low speaking voice but when I try to sing, the phlegm in my throat contstantly prevents me from singing high. It'll either make my voice crack or just make no sound come out of throat. Is there anyway to get rid of this? I'm not talking about singing high like Geddy Lee of Rush or Coheed and Cambria but like a lot of songs by Thrice. I can sing some of them but I really can't when he sings high. Please help!

1. drink more water
2. smoking causes it
3. alcohol causes it
4. caffeine can make you have it
5. you could have a drainage problem with your sinuses(hope not)
6. be sure to warm up, try to sing some of it away lightly.
7. say no to milk, heavy foods, watch your diet, etc. when you eat the mucous in your body increases in relation to what you eat.
8. water
9. water
10. oh, and water.
11. and no...no tea, honey and lemon or anything you drink directly affects your cords, contrary to the movies and what people do. if it were so, you woould be choking on the drink!

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:53 AM
No I don't think I can even go falsetto because my throat prevents me from doing it. It's really frustrating. Thanks for the help though. I guess maybe Thrice songs are out of my range.

if you dont have falsetto, then youre lacking your set of false vocal cords, which is really unlikely. so its not your throat, its you thats not allowing it. You just have to find it, or swallow your pride and go take some lessons. look at my posts in the thread about "how do i scream, theres no singing forum...."
something like that. im too lazy to go get the link. :p

Merkaba
08-01-2004, 04:58 AM
oh man, this is so cool...a bunch of guys talking about singing...and actually knowing what they are talking about...being a choir bumb, i find this impossibly cool. ANYWAY, i'd like to ask you all, is it possible to scream without damaging your voice? If there's a way, i'd take it...i can belt, i can yell on pitch, but cannot for the life of me scream on pitch...any help? or has this already been answered? a way to scream while maintaning a chamber-choir-quality voice, much like switching between the 'clean' and 'distorted' channels on you amplifier? or is that impossible?

read my replies in the post downstairs about "how do i scream, there are no singing forums..." something like that. again, im too lazy to go get the link.

italic zero
08-02-2004, 12:02 AM
new acoustic recordings.

ugh. Sorry sliver, but that guitar had way too much compression and EQing. Let the poor thing breathe, dammit!

Oh yeah, nice singing.

knappster
08-03-2004, 05:09 PM
i like your singing man, alot.

right, are you american, well silly me of course you are.

but you yanks (no offence) always have voices which puts great emphasis on your accent...us english don't have that :(

oh btw, you sound like chris Carrabba, which is something you should be very proud of

keep up the good work mate :)

j0s1ah
08-03-2004, 05:39 PM
who is chris carrabba?

ScorpSath
08-03-2004, 11:03 PM
new acoustic recordings.

your still amazing, do you have a band?

Guitar Symphony
08-05-2004, 03:38 PM
So in learning to sing. Do I have to be able to be born with the right vocal cords to sing? Or is it something you lean such as an insturment and eventually get good at it?

j0s1ah
08-05-2004, 06:08 PM
So in learning to sing. Do I have to be able to be born with the right vocal cords to sing? Or is it something you lean such as an insturment and eventually get good at it?
from what i have read in this forum and many others, there are naturals but if you want to sing well, you must work hard at it. and yes, you eventually get better.

Merkaba
08-06-2004, 01:03 AM

anybody can learn to sing to a pretty decent level. i would say at least good enough to be in a general band. now pushing and screaming and other tricks are another thing. But yes, some people are born with more ability than others of course. but if you think you cant sing you can. you might not be able to do everything you want, but with work you can accomplish alot. again the most common thing people do is mix their vocal cord muscles with there throat muscles. when you learn to isolate them you can work on strengthening and energizing the cords. its kinda like playing the guitar with gloves on. you can do a little but you cant get the feel that it takes to move to the next level. I used to always mess around and sing with the songs i liked and hold a note. but higher notes and stuff i never thought i would be able to sing when i was younger so i never really thought about singin. i too thought it was about being born with it or not. but something clicked and i realized i could do alot. anyone on the planet that isnt handicapped by something can run a mile in under 6 minutes. under 5 is exceptional, under 4 is olympic. but ****, under 6 is good, relatively. but noone wants to work to get there. it might take some a long time, it might take others a short while. but its attainable. might seem impossible at times. but it is. the same thing with anything i think. and the voice is the same. the shape and size of the throat along with the general thickness of the cords and the strength of them are all different traits that could be inherited to make an exceptional singer. but in general it doesnt matter. gah, ever see made on mtv(if youre ever watch mtv.) they had a chubby young guy on there that pretty much sucked as much as you could. but by the time his training was done he could do a pretty good job at opera songs, considering his past ability. and opera songs are hard. point blank. so just practice. and you shouldnt have pain or have to strain when starting out training your voice. keep at it.

Guitar Symphony
08-06-2004, 01:42 AM
anybody can learn to sing to a pretty decent level. i would say at least good enough to be in a general band. now pushing and screaming and other tricks are another thing. But yes, some people are born with more ability than others of course. but if you think you cant sing you can. you might not be able to do everything you want, but with work you can accomplish alot. again the most common thing people do is mix their vocal cord muscles with there throat muscles. when you learn to isolate them you can work on strengthening and energizing the cords. its kinda like playing the guitar with gloves on. you can do a little but you cant get the feel that it takes to move to the next level. I used to always mess around and sing with the songs i liked and hold a note. but higher notes and stuff i never thought i would be able to sing when i was younger so i never really thought about singin. i too thought it was about being born with it or not. but something clicked and i realized i could do alot. anyone on the planet that isnt handicapped by something can run a mile in under 6 minutes. under 5 is exceptional, under 4 is olympic. but ****, under 6 is good, relatively. but noone wants to work to get there. it might take some a long time, it might take others a short while. but its attainable. might seem impossible at times. but it is. the same thing with anything i think. and the voice is the same. the shape and size of the throat along with the general thickness of the cords and the strength of them are all different traits that could be inherited to make an exceptional singer. but in general it doesnt matter. gah, ever see made on mtv(if youre ever watch mtv.) they had a chubby young guy on there that pretty much sucked as much as you could. but by the time his training was done he could do a pretty good job at opera songs, considering his past ability. and opera songs are hard. point blank. so just practice. and you shouldnt have pain or have to strain when starting out training your voice. keep at it.

wow, thanks a lot. I might take up learning to sing. I think I've got what it takes. My old choir teacher used to teach our class how to sing and what not, from there I learned to use my diaphramn and sing through that and not use mostly the throat cause it can screw ur voice to all hell. I've been singing my lyrics that i write cause they come from the heart and I'm not afaid to sing out loud. But when parents aren't home I try a few things.

Question: Is the singer from Muse a good learn? I LOVE his style of singing, but I doubt I can hit the high notes like he can. I know I can sing bass but it's just boring when I wanna sing out loud from the heart y'know? lol

Merkaba
08-06-2004, 03:27 AM
wow, thanks a lot. I might take up learning to sing. I think I've got what it takes. My old choir teacher used to teach our class how to sing and what not, from there I learned to use my diaphramn and sing through that and not use mostly the throat cause it can screw ur voice to all hell. I've been singing my lyrics that i write cause they come from the heart and I'm not afaid to sing out loud. But when parents aren't home I try a few things.

Question: Is the singer from Muse a good learn? I LOVE his style of singing, but I doubt I can hit the high notes like he can. I know I can sing bass but it's just boring when I wanna sing out loud from the heart y'know? lol

I've heard alot about muse but dont recall what they sound like. I'll have to check them out. but yea, singing from the diphragm is key. and if you want to sing then go for it. i didnt think i would end up in love with it as much as i am now. but i dont go a day without singing. for me i use my car and my drives as a chance to train. and yea, i could never sing worth a shlt in front of family, or friends that i know didnt really get my musical tastes. if you sing bass it might be hard to get up high, but with training you might realize that you have a higher range than you thought. its true that you can only go so high. and everyone isnt the same. thing is that you dont know until you train. you might really have a register higher than the guy from muse you know. never sell yourself short.

Guitar Symphony
08-06-2004, 10:11 AM
I've heard alot about muse but dont recall what they sound like. I'll have to check them out. but yea, singing from the diphragm is key. and if you want to sing then go for it. i didnt think i would end up in love with it as much as i am now. but i dont go a day without singing. for me i use my car and my drives as a chance to train. and yea, i could never sing worth a shlt in front of family, or friends that i know didnt really get my musical tastes. if you sing bass it might be hard to get up high, but with training you might realize that you have a higher range than you thought. its true that you can only go so high. and everyone isnt the same. thing is that you dont know until you train. you might really have a register higher than the guy from muse you know. never sell yourself short.

Haha, I think I know I can sing higher then bass, I just have to use a twice the force to sing higher whether it sounds good I don't know. Would need to have someone hear me. I attempted singing higher recently (in the shower of course lol) and I think it came out well (but again, I don't know it really sounds good. never recorded it or anything).

Question: Does hooking a mic up to my guitar amp kind of tell me how my singing sounds? Cause I heard that when someone talks that their voice sounds different from what they think. I recorded my voice through the comp with a cheap headphone type thing, just to hear my voice and it's SOO differnt. It might be the mic, or the computer since I'm just using the default Sound Recorder that comes with windows. :p

sliver
08-07-2004, 12:42 PM
ugh. Sorry sliver, but that guitar had way too much compression and EQing. Let the poor thing breathe, dammit!

Oh yeah, nice singing.

Yah you're right, I didn't do the mixing on it my friend did, don't worry :) its just a rough demo for now.

i like your singing man, alot.

right, are you american, well silly me of course you are.

but you yanks (no offence) always have voices which puts great emphasis on your accent...us english don't have that :(

oh btw, you sound like chris Carrabba, which is something you should be very proud of

keep up the good work mate :)

thanks, I don't know who this chris carrabba character is though. and i'm actualy canadian... i guess we talk the same as americans, except people from new york and from the south.

your still amazing, do you have a band?

yeah i do, we're going to be recording our album by the end of august. I'll post some tracks on here for you guys.

deat
08-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Very nice guides Silver!

I have a pretty bad problem. I can sing as loud, or soft as I want. I'm very versatile. I can imitate many artists out right now. But...whenever I try singing in front of ANYBODY, I get extremely nervous and forget all the lyrics of what I was going to sing, I blush a lot, and I don't know what to do. Doesn't matter who I'm in front of, close friends, family, even just one person and I freeze. I know this may have something related to not being comfortable with my voice, but I don't know what to do to get comfortable with it. I've tried somethings now, but they haven't worked.

Oh yes, and I've been a lurker for quite some time now. Thought it would be time to join. ^_^ Everybody here is very welcoming, unlike some other forums I go to.

XAna_ElizzaX
08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
hallo...well this is my question:

I really like to sing but i never do it in front of other people, im in the chorous of my school but I dont know if its maybe because they needed people or because I do sing decently...
I have a band and our lead singer left :evil: and i used to make the background voices so everybody in my band started to ask me to sing...and I would do it but, i odnt have a good voice, i mean i am on tune but i would like to sing better, should i take classes i will time make my voice better?

sevenseasofrhye
08-08-2004, 10:07 PM
alright im a girl and im 13 and people have said i can sing and people have said im absolutely horrible... one reason i sound bad is because my voice is very deep for a girl im almost a tenor and if i try to sing the upper range of alto my voice cracks... yeah i know thats really weird... but then i can sing like the high notes in bohemian rhapsody and i can also sing soprano... i mean all i can say is my voice is deep and its hard to sing many many rock songs with my weird range

my question is though should i try and sing soprano which i can only do part of, or like mix the octaves with lower alto and high tenor cause it is hard for me...
also, is it normal for my voice to crack i mean im a GIRL...

Ninjerk
08-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Two things:
1) For those lacking body in their voice try to think about what your throat does when you yawn. Your throat should expand in the space between your chin and your adam's apple. Try to reproduce that when you are singing. It helps.

2) A note on changing tenor to bass, etc.: I'm not sure of any exact technique for lower or raising the range of the vocal chords. However, my stepfather tells me he was a tenor and sang duets with his mother in his church choir that would bring the old folks to tears (not literally I don't think). Upon doing a decent stretch in the army he has become a bass and has become to a degree "tone deaf." Also, I think it's interesting to note the vast difference in the voice of Eric Clapton when he was in Derek and the Dominoes and his voice on From the Cradle (a great blues album I bought for my dad). His voice sounds more like Louie Armstrong's on From the Cradle.

DasUberEdward
08-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey i've read through a lot of this and been lurking for a while. I can sing rather decently but a few days ago I was going loud just for the hell of it. Suddenly today I can't hit anything high, I actually noticed a slight chest pain.

I'm totally lost as to what is causing it i'm guessing improper breathing at some time..but I don't know when. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and the day I was singing high I also gave a shot at screaming so that could have done it. It seemed absolutely fine at the time though the sound was coming from my gut and not my throat..problem free without pain.

Thanks a ton in advance and awesome forums.
(Note: I was asthmatic when I was young...that could mean something)

loki_cmr
08-11-2004, 07:52 PM
i have a question

i dont know if uve heard audioslave, but the vocalist chris cornell does this scream thing sometimes that doesnt sound like screaming, more like distortion but it might be screaming. If someone knows what im talking about could you tell me how i could od that?

also are there any exercises that help increase range, mainly in the higher range.

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:02 AM

you can learn it. there are only six singing vowels. ay, ee, I, oh, u, and ah
thats it. everything else is a mixture of those, or a consanent. which is interrupting just noise produced by your mouth and tongue. so the key is to get your proper breath support from the gut, and to be able to seperate the vocal muscles from the throat muscles. the bad thing is that most people have learned improper breathing and learned incorrect vocalizing. even talking incorrectly. so go here and read my replies. i hope you can get some useful info. http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Haha, I think I know I can sing higher then bass, I just have to use a twice the force to sing higher whether it sounds good I don't know. Would need to have someone hear me. I attempted singing higher recently (in the shower of course lol) and I think it came out well (but again, I don't know it really sounds good. never recorded it or anything).

Question: Does hooking a mic up to my guitar amp kind of tell me how my singing sounds? Cause I heard that when someone talks that their voice sounds different from what they think. I recorded my voice through the comp with a cheap headphone type thing, just to hear my voice and it's SOO differnt. It might be the mic, or the computer since I'm just using the default Sound Recorder that comes with windows. :p

analog is always the best, but that would have to be good quality because a slower or faster motor makes your voice sound different. any decent digital device is a good go. I would try to run it through a mixer into the comp, or as clean as possible without going through an amp or anything ya know, so there is nothing between your voice and the recording device. a guitar amp isnt the best because its built for higher pitches, like a bass amp isnt good for a guitarist. now a PA speaker/system is for the voice. And yes, a cheap mic just doesnt have the responses and nuances that it takes to get a good representation of the vibrations youre causing in the air. it just cant pick it up. try to get a decent mic. my friend borrowed mine but i have two Shure mics. not sure what model. but Shure is a good mic. they were each about 160 dollars. a decent mic can be had for about 50. if you can get a good mic. try to find a cheep Shure. or a used one. just disinfect it good first! in any event it is very important that you listen to your own voice. Because you do sound differently than what you here yourself. know why? and this is cool. because when you sing or talk, youre hearing with your body, like an antenna. the resonance and vibration of your nasal cavities, brain, head size and shape, lung area, body density, etc, plays a very significant part in the vibrations that reach your hammer,anvil and stirrup(from science class) and extremely, youre also hearing with your toes. to make my point, your whole body vibrates when you talk/sing. And this is why meditationalists use specifice sounds, chants, and mantras when doing certain meditation. and i am a meditation/ spiritual freak. so i know about that(mantras also work wonders for breath/vocal control). but most people dont take it serious, or have reservations about it. the fact that you can alter your mind by chanting certain words. everything is energy vibrating. everything. so manipulating energy is manipulating vibrations. Thats why singing or listening can make you really feel a certain way. Anyways, you should send me some samples. i might be able to critique.
see ya

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Very nice guides Silver!

I have a pretty bad problem. I can sing as loud, or soft as I want. I'm very versatile. I can imitate many artists out right now. But...whenever I try singing in front of ANYBODY, I get extremely nervous and forget all the lyrics of what I was going to sing, I blush a lot, and I don't know what to do. Doesn't matter who I'm in front of, close friends, family, even just one person and I freeze. I know this may have something related to not being comfortable with my voice, but I don't know what to do to get comfortable with it. I've tried somethings now, but they haven't worked.

Oh yes, and I've been a lurker for quite some time now. Thought it would be time to join. ^_^ Everybody here is very welcoming, unlike some other forums I go to.

Thats not a problem, unless of course, you want to sing professionally!

All i can tell you is to practice to the point to where you so confident that its not a problem. i mean the first times are definitely worse than the others, and youre gonna grow and learn along the way, but it can be way more fun and not painful, if you make sure you have enough practice that youre confident you'll get it all right. after that, there is no point in worrying about it, just realize that youre gonna blow people away.

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Two things:
1) For those lacking body in their voice try to think about what your throat does when you yawn. Your throat should expand in the space between your chin and your adam's apple. Try to reproduce that when you are singing. It helps.

2) A note on changing tenor to bass, etc.: I'm not sure of any exact technique for lower or raising the range of the vocal chords. However, my stepfather tells me he was a tenor and sang duets with his mother in his church choir that would bring the old folks to tears (not literally I don't think). Upon doing a decent stretch in the army he has become a bass and has become to a degree "tone deaf." Also, I think it's interesting to note the vast difference in the voice of Eric Clapton when he was in Derek and the Dominoes and his voice on From the Cradle (a great blues album I bought for my dad). His voice sounds more like Louie Armstrong's on From the Cradle.

you can sing ohs and low ohs to help add body to your voice. and yes, its about learning to open your throat. this is always in my posts. that is where you get resonance and tone, from having an open throat so the sound can bounce properly. just experiment. and take more than fifteen minutes one day to learn your voice. it takes a long time if youre not a "natural" .

as far as range. there are muscles that pull your cords tigher/thinner, and those that pull them shorter thicker. you just have to work with this muscles. try to hit lower and lower or higher and higher. the catch is that you must have a relaxed open throat so that you can get enough airflow so that you can actually get the airflow so that you can activate the cords at the note youre trying to reach. be careful when going up in pitch because your cords are thinner. dont over push and make sure youre pushing from the gut, not the throat. doing staccato "ha" 's helps build strength. staccato means there is a quick pause between. broken. not connected(legato is connected) be sure to come from the gut. This is neat. The H sound is the air passing when activate the cords the air is already passing so to shut it off to activate the cords, this is extra work. but its balanced by the staccato-ness. so the muscles that open get worked as much as the ones that close. its like clapping your hands together as mark Baxter puts it. clap your hands together a few times. then alternate between clapping and almost clapping but not clapping. you can see how much work is done to not let them clap. this is basically what your cords are doing. hhhh is the air, aaah is the activation. off, on , off, on, etc. . becareful not to push to hard when doing higher ranges with this exercise. you should be able to get a high pitch without pushing hard.

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:34 AM
hallo...well this is my question:

I really like to sing but i never do it in front of other people, im in the chorous of my school but I dont know if its maybe because they needed people or because I do sing decently...
I have a band and our lead singer left :evil: and i used to make the background voices so everybody in my band started to ask me to sing...and I would do it but, i odnt have a good voice, i mean i am on tune but i would like to sing better, should i take classes i will time make my voice better?
both. it is imperative that you have alone time. where you feel totally comfortable and there noone to judge you. for me, this is my car. (just dont compete with the volume too much). you have to find your own limits and be able to experiment with your sounds. so that if you do something that sucks, noone is there but you. and you can try to manipulate your throat and voice until you find the good stuff for you. but yes a teacher would help you immensley. and time of course is a part of life. its up to you if you will get better with it!

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:45 AM
alright im a girl and im 13 and people have said i can sing and people have said im absolutely horrible... one reason i sound bad is because my voice is very deep for a girl im almost a tenor and if i try to sing the upper range of alto my voice cracks... yeah i know thats really weird... but then i can sing like the high notes in bohemian rhapsody and i can also sing soprano... i mean all i can say is my voice is deep and its hard to sing many many rock songs with my weird range

my question is though should i try and sing soprano which i can only do part of, or like mix the octaves with lower alto and high tenor cause it is hard for me...
also, is it normal for my voice to crack i mean im a GIRL...

a peniz or a vagina plays no part in your vocal technique. So no its not normal to break(crack). if your voice breaks, you either dont have the strength for that note, or your throat is not open and relaxed and your tensing it, causing restricted irregular airflow. The term break as a noun is the area between registers where you have to switch your technique between chest, head, and falsetto voices. just practice until you know when you need to change the muscles working the area. a vocal instructor is good for this because lots of times they can put there hand on your throat and be able to tell what youre doing. the falsetto is the highest and you open your cords and use them less, in a different way. so thats why you can get the higher range. bu it sounds like youre just a little weak. you should be able to go from your lowest note all the way up to your highest with one breath without missing anything. this is called an gliss...up. or down. are you saying you cant do this? if you cant then you are probably avoiding the break areas between the three registers because you dont have the strength/control to be able to keep the airflow constant and the cords moving. more about control than strength. you must have an open throat. try it with "ah" and make sure you are singing from your gut. and not pushing at the throat area. and also since youre a girl, you should be careful around your period time. warm up more and warm down more. your cords swell up along with the rest of your body when your period is on. they get bloated too! so be sure to stay hydrated and warmed up/down. keep us posted. oh and go here. at least read my replies in the screams part. http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219911

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-12-2004, 02:19 AM
hey im tryin to learn to sing an i was stuffin around an recorded this. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/gnikregrubmusic.htm

Can i work with my voice?? i hate listenin to it
Is there anything i can do improve??

Thanks in advance :thumb:

ahahahaha "FRIEND" isnt part of it on the end, :p i was just stuffin around when my mate was over

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 02:49 AM
hey im tryin to learn to sing an i was stuffin around an recorded this. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/gnikregrubmusic.htm

Can i work with my voice?? i hate listenin to it
Is there anything i can do improve??

ahahahaha "FRIEND" isnt part of it on the end, :p i was just stuffin around when my mate was over

youre not that bad off. especially for that style of music. kinda sounds like new found gloryish?? the quality isnt the best but i can hear you've got good tone. I can also hear that it sounds like you arent taking quite enough breath because it sounds like youre not coming from your gut enough. especially the last stanza. thats what makes you go more nasal. youre trying to stretch the resonance of the sound by going slightly nasal because there isnt enough pressure to sustain that note. because you sound like youre running out of air. that shouldnt be the case in this type of song. be sure you breathe correctly. so that when you inhale your belly button goes out and your stomach expands. some people breathe from their ribs. so they take a deep breath but dont take much in, and thusly dont have as much as they think. you should have a little bubble of pressure behind the cords and the control of the push should not be felt in the throat, but in the midsection. so at the end of your verse there, your belly button shoud be going in and up so to speak. it sounds like you were throating it. thats why it went more nasal. you can get the same sound if you want(like Time of your life, Greenday) but its just stronger, truer, more defined, more consistent... when coming from the gut. kinda like that same greenday song(kinda whiney but still upfront). but again, nothing is extreme in this sample, so dont go berzerk with adjutments or ideas in your head. nothing i say is gospel. so breath to the gut, bring it from the gut and not the throat. and open up and relax.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-12-2004, 03:17 AM
thanks for that............but the strage thing i dont get is,like on some songs i sound alright but then on others i can do fine with singing them in key but my voice sounds really bad an nasely even if i have enough breath

DasUberEdward
08-12-2004, 03:34 AM
no ideas?

Merkaba
08-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey i've read through a lot of this and been lurking for a while. I can sing rather decently but a few days ago I was going loud just for the hell of it. Suddenly today I can't hit anything high, I actually noticed a slight chest pain.

I'm totally lost as to what is causing it i'm guessing improper breathing at some time..but I don't know when. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and the day I was singing high I also gave a shot at screaming so that could have done it. It seemed absolutely fine at the time though the sound was coming from my gut and not my throat..problem free without pain.

Thanks a ton in advance and awesome forums.
(Note: I was asthmatic when I was young...that could mean something)

sorry to pass over you.
oh yea, it maybe related to the extra effort of your lungs. but singing usually tends to help out. just keep practicing it wil help to work the lungs and diagphram. if its your first time or times trying to go up in range youre going to lose it just out of fatigue. just stay hydrated, warm up, warm down, and dont think that just because your going up in pitch that you have to go up in pressure. you do, but not as much as people think if you stay open and from the gut because the cords get thinner, like the little e string on a guitar. you can pluck it too hard. keep practicing and dont force too much air, even when you scream.you shouldnt have to push more than 80% ever. at the end of a session i will go all out to help build strength. but you dont want to do that early because you have to practice acitvating the cords and using the muscles to hold there until you get it into muscle memory. plus if you push too hard the air is just gonna blow past the cords and youre not gonna get good tone. your lungs are always gonna be stronger than your cords. so you should never push 100% unless you know what youre doing. plus, over time you bow the cords up and they cant seal properly. plus you run into those treacherous career danger words like nodes, nodules, tears, polyps, calous, paralysis. so trust me. get the tone and screams at around 50 to 70 percent until you get it down. make the tone first, then go for the rasp. after a while you can do it at the same time, if you want to scream. just practice singing first. get the high pitches with good tone. work with the extra push of screams and harder stuff at the end of the session. warm up, stay hydrated, warm down. i 've posted particulars on this in the sticky. hope this helps. see ya

Ninjerk
08-12-2004, 07:15 PM
thanks for that............but the strage thing i dont get is,like on some songs i sound alright but then on others i can do fine with singing them in key but my voice sounds really bad an nasely even if i have enough breath

Are the songs you sound nasally on generally high in pitch? Are you trying to hard to smile? Girls in my chorus class years ago used to smile so much they let their mouth close. Also, someone said earlier not to use your nose to breathe when you're singing. It's quite important to only breathe through your mouth.

DasUberEdward
08-12-2004, 11:44 PM
sorry to pass over you.
oh yea, it maybe related to the extra effort of your lungs. but singing usually tends to help out. just keep practicing it wil help to work the lungs and diagphram. if its your first time or times trying to go up in range youre going to lose it just out of fatigue. just stay hydrated, warm up, warm down, and dont think that just because your going up in pitch that you have to go up in pressure. you do, but not as much as people think if you stay open and from the gut because the cords get thinner, like the little e string on a guitar. you can pluck it too hard. keep practicing and dont force too much air, even when you scream.you shouldnt have to push more than 80% ever. at the end of a session i will go all out to help build strength. but you dont want to do that early because you have to practice acitvating the cords and using the muscles to hold there until you get it into muscle memory. plus if you push too hard the air is just gonna blow past the cords and youre not gonna get good tone. your lungs are always gonna be stronger than your cords. so you should never push 100% unless you know what youre doing. plus, over time you bow the cords up and they cant seal properly. plus you run into those treacherous career danger words like nodes, nodules, tears, polyps, calous, paralysis. so trust me. get the tone and screams at around 50 to 70 percent until you get it down. make the tone first, then go for the rasp. after a while you can do it at the same time, if you want to scream. just practice singing first. get the high pitches with good tone. word the the extra push of screams and stuff at the end of the session. warm up, stay hydrated, warm down. i 've posted particulars on this in the sticky. hope this helps. see ya
Thanks for the advice..you're doing a huge favor to the community.

sid_took_punk_to_the_grave
08-13-2004, 04:31 AM
who is chris carrabba?

Dashboard Confessional. Many emo bands seem to have a distintive accent in their voices, as someone has already said. Me and a few mates are starting an emo band pretty soon and someone needs to sing. I can only really sing in a punk style english voice ie Johhny Rotten, Joe Strummer. I wanna learn how to sing like emo bands do so is it worth learning how to sing naturally first or should i just go straight for learning the 'American way'? That probably made no sense at all. But anyway. Oh yea I can scream well enough so will that help?

j0s1ah
08-13-2004, 04:55 AM
Dashboard Confessional. Many emo bands seem to have a distintive accent in their voices, as someone has already said. Me and a few mates are starting an emo band pretty soon and someone needs to sing. I can only really sing in a punk style english voice ie Johhny Rotten, Joe Strummer. I wanna learn how to sing like emo bands do so is it worth learning how to sing naturally first or should i just go straight for learning the 'American way'? That probably made no sense at all. But anyway. Oh yea I can scream well enough so will that help?
i feel like an idiot. dashboard is like one of my fav bands....lol.

loki_cmr
08-13-2004, 02:04 PM
did everyone just decide to skip over my post or something?

Merkaba
08-13-2004, 02:25 PM
i actually was writing to it the other night and i somehow didnt get the post up. i listen to Chris every day. I can do anysong of his that i want. its not that hard. but getting his upper range is more work than anything. but what youe talking about is basically the same thing. that scrape. more or less of it. mid and upper mid range tones you can play around with more because you can get more vocal cord activation in them. so if you make sure you have an open throat, push from the gut and not the throat, and learn to relax and keep an open throat gives you that nice resonance and you can scrape it a little to get that distorted affect. like in the song im listening to now. Sweet sunshower. its all the same technique to sum up. trust me. i gotta get to work. but read my sticky if you havent already. oh, and whats your fave audioslave songs. i love Last remaining light, and shadow of the sun. kick *** album.

loki_cmr
08-13-2004, 05:45 PM
thanks for the reply, i will look for ur sticky.

my favorite songs are probably bring em back alive, its fun to sing and play.

Merkaba
08-14-2004, 12:32 AM
oops, shadow ON the sun. i was in a rush. hehe

deathchemicalx
08-14-2004, 04:22 AM
Im a newbie to this site, but ive been working on my vocals for about two years. I have recorded my self quite a bit and it seems i stay in key well, but my voice has more of a nasaly sound, like im singing with my nose pinched shut. This doesnt really work with singing in a metal band. Any tips to improve on this would be appreciated. THanks in advance.

Merkaba
08-14-2004, 02:44 PM
yep. youre probably closing your throat some. which makes the feeling of the sound end up higher in your throat because the lower part of your throat is blocked off. tension and the idea of moving the throat to move the notes is what causes this. so when you make a note you try to gain the resonance of the sound by forcing it into the nasal cavity because the sound feels so high in your throat. And singing is way more about feel than what you hear. Go to my hotline sticky, here in the jams forum. read at least my first post in the screams section. i have a reply in there about isolation exercises, which should help you some. and try to imagine shooting your sound out of your chin...for now. and relax, and of course make sure youre pushing from the gut and not the throat.

LittleSarah64
08-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Hi guys. I'm new to this but I have this book called Vocal Release that has really helped my singing. It's a little pricey but it's an investment and it's cheaper than lessons. The website is vocalrelease.com incase you wanna check it out.
Hope it helps. See ya.

Merkaba
08-14-2004, 09:12 PM
hey hey, against the rules there lil honey.

Im guessin'

j0s1ah
08-15-2004, 02:51 PM
lol i checked that out, i downlaoded the .pdf version, but i don't have the cd. i bet it would be great if i had the cd. :)

Merkaba
08-15-2004, 03:10 PM
yea i checked it out, but we'll see if lil sarahs post count ever goes up! haha. if not then we know who she works for!

but it sounds a bit interesting. seems to hit on a few keys i like to stress, like positioning of the larynx. which i would love to see how this guy conveys it, and that zip up thing gives a little bit of mystery and makes ya wann know whats going on. so you downloaded a copy? hmmmm? tell us, or share with us.

LittleSarah64
08-15-2004, 11:31 PM
yea i have the book and the cd. so far it has really helped me. sorry if i broke the rules or anything.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Are the songs you sound nasally on generally high in pitch? Are you trying to hard to smile? Girls in my chorus class years ago used to smile so much they let their mouth close. Also, someone said earlier not to use your nose to breathe when you're singing. It's quite important to only breathe through your mouth.

I breathe through my mouth, i dont smile, i open my mouth...but not to much...............maybe im just broken :upset:

j0s1ah
08-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Merkaba-1, here is a part about cord adducting:
Yes it is very important to have proper breathing, but it is not an end all. Breathing is only for support. If you can’t adduct your cords, control the position of your larynx and your resonance, breathing will not help you sound much better.
Cord adducting exercises
The biggest problem most beginning singers have,( that is people that have never sang before), with communicating with their coaches is when the coach tells them to go higher in pitch. Because unless the singer naturally sings correctly when told to do this, the first time the response
will be to take their chest voice as far as it will go, force out more air and push it further. Very bad for the voice. Unfortunately many coaches have no idea how to teach someone how to adduct, zip up, shorten or as it is otherwise known compress their vocal cords. The coaches hope
is that with enough scale work the student will do it naturally without thinking about it and without knowing what it is they have done. And of course have to come back for more vocal lessons to keep it going. If you are stuck in your chest voice and or cannot sing higher notes without strain, this is most likely the reason. You have simply not learned to adduct your vocal cords.

Let me give a simple to understand explanation of what happens as your cord are adducting. Your vocal cords lay horizontal in your larynx. As air passes up through them the vocal cords resist against the air and vibrate. When you are at a low pitch for your range the cords are almost all the way apart from one another. As you rise in pitch what should happen is that they begin to
zip up and close off. As you go higher less vocal cord is actually used. Think of your cords as a string instrument in this sense. Pluck a string without fretting and you get a lower sound than you would if you hit the same string while fretting in the middle of the neck. Shorten the length of the
string and the pitch goes up, the same applies for vocal cords. Shorten the vocal cords and the pitch goes up, all without straining. Also keep in mind that as you go up in pitch, adducting, less air is needed to maintain pitch, as there is less cord to resist against the air. I can’t stress this enough. If you want to have a great voice that functions without strain, is very resonant and smooth out the breaks or bridges in your voice, you need to learn how to properly adduct your cords. Here a few exercises that have worked time and again on my students to teach them just that.

Stuttering D’s: This exercise will be performed on both scale one and scale two. Say the D sound a few times. Pay close attention to the slight feeling in your larynx as you do. That feeling is your cords briefly coming together or adducting. This exercise is a warmup for the other adducting exercises. Done well there will be a massage like feeling in your larynx. This is your cords opening and closing. You may also feel resonance in your upper head cavities. First place your tongue on the roof of your mouth and stutter a long string of D’s on scale one or two. Have you ever heard young boys pretending they have machine guns? It sounds just like that. Make sure you make the D full and solid. Hold on very hard to the D sound. Do not go airy with
it and add the low larynx sound to it as you progress through the scale. If you have a problem with this, start off buy saying the D sound a few times to warm up then go into the stutter. This may seem a bit silly, and you may be thinking, “ fine it adducts my cords but how’s that going to
help me with actually singing adducted.? Well, like I said, it’s just a warmup for the next exercises and will make your vocal cords more likely to adduct when you want them to. It will also help you to use the proper amount of pressure against your cords before using the open mouth exercises.

The grunt: Yes that’s right the grunt. Grunt a few times like your pushing something heavy. Uhh, Uhh, Uhh. . Now if you’ve sang before but don’t know how to adduct, use this exercise. Take in a breath, grunt, and break into a note, and keep some of the effect of the grunt. Uhh, Uhhh, Ahhhhhhhhhh. You’ll notice the effect better if you try for something in your higher
range. You should notice right away that this makes it very easy to hit a high note. The grunt compresses your cords. As you do it, it zips them up. Don’t over do it. You can quickly wear out your voice this way. The trick is to use the grunt to get used to adducting then back it off, but keep the compression of the cords that resulted from it. The grunt is great to develop a mental to
physical tool, that gives you control over shortening your cords. If you never sang before and someone told you to shorten your cords you would probably be very confused. That is the main stumbling block in learning to sing. You can’t see what you are doing, like someone learning to play guitar. You have to go solely on how it feels and sounds

He refers to scales on the CD in this section, which i don't have, but i am guessing its just the major scale or variations of it.

Merkaba
08-16-2004, 02:17 PM
kick ***! thanks alot man!

ScorpSath
08-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I have a lame deeper voice is there anyway I can like make it sound smoother if that makes any sense, also I sound better when I sing in an english accent anyone know y that mite be>?

j0s1ah
08-17-2004, 11:31 AM
no, but whats wrong with a deep voice?

ScorpSath
08-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Nothing I find mine extremely cracky though, if that makes any sense.

j0s1ah
08-17-2004, 06:24 PM
i know what you mean, mine does that sometimes when i sing lower/middle-low notes.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-18-2004, 06:35 AM
hey merkaba can u give me some more tips ....i just recorded something else. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/gnikregrubmusic.htm
haha i know it sounds pop punky but i cant change my voice. :angry: sorry people.
thanks in advance

btw the only reason i recorded a little bit is cause im a lazy lazy man an i cant be bothered to upload the full songs. an i go outta key once or twice.....maybe three time.........ok six :p nah jks

EDIT: ahhhhhhh i just listened to it......when i say "feel his sweater" i sound like a retard hahah.............leave that bit out haha

Superman444
08-18-2004, 11:05 PM
I can sing really good but i cant seem to scream some one help me

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-18-2004, 11:59 PM
man ur the opposite than me...........wana trade

ScorpSath
08-19-2004, 12:59 AM
You can't just trade geeze!

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-19-2004, 01:28 AM
oh.........i thought they were like pokamon cards :p

Merkaba
08-20-2004, 03:46 AM
hey merkaba can u give me some more tips ....i just recorded something else. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/gnikregrubmusic.htm
haha i know it sounds pop punky but i cant change my voice. :angry: sorry people.
thanks in advance

btw the only reason i recorded a little bit is cause im a lazy lazy man an i cant be bothered to upload the full songs. an i go outta key once or twice.....maybe three time.........ok six :p nah jks

EDIT: ahhhhhhh i just listened to it......when i say "feel his sweater" i sound like a retard hahah.............leave that bit out haha

ahh, dude youre tense. i know you think you have to have that feeling because of the style youre singing. i can hear it. it almost makes my throat feel tired just listening! Youre closing it up, and pushing probably bout at least 25% harder than you need to. and i can just hear your larynx squeezing as you move around for those notes. and as you do all of this, your air is obstructed, thats why you feel more like youre straining, and this is why youre running out of air. its one of the common things, and i've talked about it before. improper technique starts you down the road quickly. 1. you block the air by closing the larynx, because your body still says to move the cords you have to move the throat. 2. this leads to less tone, control, activation because the air is hindered. 3. this leads to you thinking you have to work harder to get the desired tone,volume, etc. 4. you push harder, but youre already back to number 1. and the cycle continues until fatigue sets in quickly. i can hear your fatigue in just that short piece! and i hear you take the breath but there is no lock from the gut that holds that pressure. once you learn it it will make the difference in your vocals and you will see.
try singing that piece with just one vowel, then another and do them all. do the whole verse in ay. then I, O, uu(as in UH, not Yew), ah,and e. and do it like a robot. open your mouth enough to get sound but dont move your lips, your eyes, your jaw or anything. dont move your arms. nothing. this kinda stuff helps you realize on your own what you need to work on. you'll feel the need for breath because youre not bringing it from the gut, and it will also help to work on isolating your cords from your larynx. we need to get the new lady to listen. she's a professional singer for like 20 years. her link is http://www.geocities.com/kristinasvocalstudio . shes posted a few times in other threads. i'll try to get her over here eventually if i can to see if she can help with breath, if she doesnt find this by herself. i just dont have the communication it takes yet to describe the proper ways, and since i've never had it explained to me i dont know any catchy methods or anything to allow you to feel it. other than clearing your throat. or coughing. if you feel the way your stomach area does then this is what you need to do..its just that you have to be able to hold it, not a big shock like a cough or a grunt, but its the same pressure. so you can practice by taking a breath, sing ahhh, get ready to cough but dont cough, and just hold that pressure. now this will make you lightheaded quickly cause there is no release. so practice this and starting the ahh back up. you might get the feel for the area you need to be working from at least, then over time work with your own limits and what not. but this is the only thing i know that gives you the proper feel of coming from the gut. the thing is you can do this and still tense your throat so it can still sound throaty if you cant isolate and relax the larynx. so practice trying to get the gut involved more. we'll try to keep working. its 430 am right now and i've been working twelve hour days so i havent had much time on here. I bet she'll say the same general thing.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-20-2004, 06:12 AM
man ........u like helping people dont ya haha.....so much writing.Thanks for that man. :thumb:
I can tell what u mean that it sounds like im pushing to much but when i sing it doesnt really feel like that.Sometimes on high notes i push hard because i cant hold them well for some reason they sound all jumpy?? :p an stuff so pushing harder is the only way i have found that gets rid of that,is there any exercises i can do to help that or just go through scales?.Thanks again for all that

j0s1ah
08-20-2004, 08:19 AM
i found this commercial site that has some online demos of warm ups, exercises, ect. check it out.
http://www.singingvoicelessons.com/courses.html

dans107
08-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Hey guys...

I'm not really a singer (actually, I'm not a singer...) but lately I've been playing guitar, singing and recording a few songs.

Not really anything, and I know it's not really good, but I'd like someone else's views, some pointers, ya' know?

Well - is this the right thread for it?

And ya'll won't flame me when ya' hear it, right? :(

RushHourSoul
08-20-2004, 05:16 PM
thanks in advance

I like your voice, it reminds me of Dashboard's singer

j0s1ah
08-20-2004, 05:38 PM
please post. :)
we are all rationally reasonable.

Merkaba
08-21-2004, 02:13 AM
man ........u like helping people dont ya haha.....so much writing.Thanks for that man. :thumb:
I can tell what u mean that it sounds like im pushing to much but when i sing it doesnt really feel like that.Sometimes on high notes i push hard because i cant hold them well for some reason they sound all jumpy?? :p an stuff so pushing harder is the only way i have found that gets rid of that,is there any exercises i can do to help that or just go through scales?.Thanks again for all that

yea, go up to the post by Jos1ah about studdering D's. it helps to get a feel for coming from the diaphragm. i gurantee the reason why you cant hold the high notes well is because youre moving your throat. its just like that post by jos1ah says, the higher notes are thinner cords, so you really dont have to push as hard! but what im 99% sure youre doing is feeling the tension of trying to go up, youre doing the classic. I used to do it. youre trying to squeeze the cords but youre squeezing the throat as well. once you can break away from this habit its like being born again. thats why you "think" you have to push harder when you go for higher notes. its really just the opposite. but its kinda programmed into your thinking: up means tighter means harder. its just not so. if youre not coming from your diaphram though, youre still in trouble. because if you try to push less, youre still constricting your throat, which means even less air to activate your cords.

Just keep practicing and trying the isolation exercises. and try to find that gut. hitting the notes should come from your gut. i know we hear it alot and its almost cliche, but it is the key to singin. there is really very little mouth movement to singing, other than the expressions youre trying to get across. moving the mouth is for consanents only! think that. dont even think about your mouth anymore when you sing right now. remember there are only six things you can sing, or a mix of them. ay, ee, I, oh, u, and ahh. the cord muscles do this by shaping the cords. Thats it! get them down without moving the mouth much, then add the mouth and teeth, tongue, etc. to get the consanants later. thats why i always say sing a song with just vowels without moving anything. get singing vowels down, with intensity, and you've got it licked.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-21-2004, 04:16 AM
thanks dude.The only thing i dont get is what u mean by try singing the song with just "ee" ."ahh" etc.haha sorry for disturbing u so much....i feel like a jerk :p .

Merkaba
08-21-2004, 11:03 AM
instead of words, sing it with one vowel. or sing a couple of parts with one, then the next verse with another, then the chorus with another. ee eeee ee e e ee eeeeeeeee e e eee e eee. ahh ah ah aaaaahhhhhh, ah ah ah ahhhh.

evan
08-21-2004, 11:19 AM
does anyone listen to a perfect circle/tool? I'm trying to get good at singing and thats what i'm trying to sing, i think i'm getting a little better... slowly.. =\
If i'm singing with a song (like 3 libra's, orestes or a stranger by a perfect circle) i'm not too bad, but then when i try and do it alone it sounds horrible, any tips?

Merkaba
08-21-2004, 11:31 AM
two of of my top favorites. Tool changed my life. APC is the yin to its yang.
Anything by Chris Cornell is heaven, mudvayne, deftones. that pretty much rounds out my list. lots of lesser knowns. plus im just a fan of singing and music in general.

i remember struggling to do orestes's notes. now its almost a warm up. until the last verse's higher "cut aways"
Orestes, Brena. so beautiful. definitely songs that make me say, why couldnt i have made them!

i just posted two minutes ago about APC having good stuff to work on, its in a lower key which can help you work with some higher pitched melodies. i would say warm up adequately and make sure youre coming from your gut. read around this site for tips and go to the voice help hotline sticky, and the 101 sticky. you can find all you need to work on. then its just a matter of practice. I practice every day. its like breathing to me. and an hour is my minimum feel good level. my perfect day is about an hour worth of what i consider warming up. I have destroyed many an ozone layer riding around in my suv singin. i bet i have put 8000 to 10000 unnecessary miles on my car just because of singing. no joke. i've had it since last january and i have 35000 or so on it. just be sure to warm up and stay hydrated. read around this site, go to the stickies and just keep practicing. it will take time but you can grow alot. maynard has good technique and get good resonance because of it. especially in like those moody eerie sounds of apc. you have to come from the gut and have an open relaxed throat. its the only way. stick around, i was just thinking yesterday about posting some acapella apc. that oughtta call the dogs. hehe

How old are you, and how long have you been singing?

evan
08-21-2004, 11:36 AM
:thumb:
i'm 14 and i only strated trying to sing in like the last month. I only get a chance to sing when no ones home though, so thats like maybe a hour every few days.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-21-2004, 06:00 PM
i get that.......ill get straight onto it.

loki_cmr
08-21-2004, 09:07 PM
chris cornell rules, i know im a baritone and ive listend to him and hes pretty high, if i wanted to increase my upper range, what should i do?

Merkaba
08-22-2004, 02:11 AM
chris cornell rules, i know im a baritone and ive listend to him and hes pretty high, if i wanted to increase my upper range, what should i do?

isolation exercises.

you HAVE to be able to work with the cords alone. going up in pitch, your cords are pulling tighter and thinner. like guitar strings. if youre over pushing or blocking air youre gonna be all screwed up when it comes to actually activating the cords. And this is why i talk about stuff like diet, hydraton and etc. if youre trying to build range, youre basically trying to develop more muscle, more flexibility, etc. just like if youre were lifting weights. its just a really smaller scale. check out the hotline post and the isolation exercises. but remember, everybody is different and some things we just cant get to. but also remember, only you know where that limit is/will be. building range is hard to do, but finding out that you have more than what you previously thought is easier to do. Cornell does alot of falsetto with rasp. so learning to get good falsetto is key. work with glisses, and remember that the higher you go the less push you need, so dont blow out or fatigue your thin cords. i cover this in the sticky thread.

Winter-seed...AKA b&h
08-26-2004, 07:39 PM
i strike again :upset: .
haha nah, ever sice iv started reading all this stuff an been learning to push from my gut an open my throat(which all feels strage wen i do)i keep getting aloth of mucous(or somthing) an its breaking up the high notes im singing an stuff.
What am i doing wrong?
Is my theory of me being broken true?
I have a nasal problem(always blocky an stuff), would that have somthing to do with it?

edit: ahhh dont worry. The problem is that i get lactose intolerant an i was eating cheese cake :lol: .Thats what caused the mucousy stuff and i just found out i have a nasal drip :mad: so thats part of the problem aswell

boilingsociety
08-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Hi

I'm new...just looking...But I have a few questions that I will hopefully find answers to??? :confused:

I'm just your regular run of the mill coffee house singer, but I've been looking to improve my voice..I can sing on key (most of the time..lol), and it sounds alright--but there's always room for improvement.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to
(1) get a clearer sound--Right now I think it's a bit "airy" (if that's understandable, I'm not sure how to explain better...)
(2) develop a unique style that's more MINE then everyone elses..lol

So, if anyone understands my rambling and has any advice, feel free to inform me :)

Thanks all

sliver
08-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey guys...

I'm not really a singer (actually, I'm not a singer...) but lately I've been playing guitar, singing and recording a few songs.

Not really anything, and I know it's not really good, but I'd like someone else's views, some pointers, ya' know?

Well - is this the right thread for it?

And ya'll won't flame me when ya' hear it, right? :(

hey dude, check out the beggining of this thread. I posted 3 or 4 long 1 hour lessons you can go through.

Merkaba
08-29-2004, 02:29 PM
i strike again :upset: .
haha nah, ever sice iv started reading all this stuff an been learning to push from my gut an open my throat(which all feels strage wen i do)i keep getting aloth of mucous(or somthing) an its breaking up the high notes im singing an stuff.
What am i doing wrong?
Is my theory of me being broken true?
I have a nasal problem(always blocky an stuff), would that have somthing to do with it?

edit: ahhh dont worry. The problem is that i get lactose intolerant an i was eating cheese cake :lol: .Thats what caused the mucousy stuff and i just found out i have a nasal drip :mad: so thats part of the problem aswell

you better believe dairy isnt good for you. i love cheese though. but it does make you mucous up. and if you have a nasal problem it will of course affect you, just be sure to warm up good, stay hydrated, and watch what you eat. it will contribute. and just because youre coming from the gut doesnt mean you have to sing everything hard. sometimes depending on the note, you might not even have to feel much of a push actually, when you do come from the gut. so keep practicing

Chicks Dig Bassists
08-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't know if this problem has been asked yet but I really don't have the time to go through this whole thread so...what can I do as a singer with no confidence? I have a good voice and its a hell of a lot better than anybody else in my band but when it comes to singing I just can't do it. I just don't try and it sounds sucky. Any suggestions?

j0s1ah
08-29-2004, 07:57 PM
my advice.....have fun with it. if you are dreading it you will sound bad. just let it out man be yourself don't be a pu55y and hold back. have fun with it and it will go much easier. that's how it is with me and my voice teacher, i just started with him and i barely know him and when he's like 'sing' it's really awkward. so i just be bold and have fun with it.

Merkaba
08-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi

I'm new...just looking...But I have a few questions that I will hopefully find answers to??? :confused:

I'm just your regular run of the mill coffee house singer, but I've been looking to improve my voice..I can sing on key (most of the time..lol), and it sounds alright--but there's always room for improvement.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to
(1) get a clearer sound--Right now I think it's a bit "airy" (if that's understandable, I'm not sure how to explain better...)
(2) develop a unique style that's more MINE then everyone elses..lol

So, if anyone understands my rambling and has any advice, feel free to inform me :)

Thanks all

If youre airy and youre not trying to push hard, you may be using the wrong voice for the range youre trying to sing. or youre not using proper breathing. could be a few things.
your style will come from you in time. noone can help you with originality. if they did, it wouldnt be original now would it. singing acapella really helps you find your own unique qualities, and you can emphasize them.

theres plenty in the voice help hotline sticky, and the singing 101 sticky to pretty much write a book on. so its here if youre not lazy. and if youre lazy, then youre not serious anyways

j0s1ah
09-01-2004, 06:36 AM
and if youre lazy, then youre not serious anyways
nicely said.

j0s1ah
09-08-2004, 02:40 PM
question about voice changes.
i am nearly 17. i am 6"4, 202 pounds. i have been the same height for about 9 months, and i think i am done growing. i am rather large for my age. people always mistake me for 18, 19, even 20 sometimes. (which does come in handy)
to the point, when you stop growing does your voice stop chaning? or not neccesarily? my teacher says i am a baritone now, but he says that could change. is this true? or am i pretty much done? or will only time tell?

mactabilis
09-10-2004, 01:10 PM
question about voice changes.
i am nearly 17. i am 6"4, 202 pounds. i have been the same height for about 9 months, and i think i am done growing. i am rather large for my age. people always mistake me for 18, 19, even 20 sometimes. (which does come in handy)
to the point, when you stop growing does your voice stop chaning? or not neccesarily? my teacher says i am a baritone now, but he says that could change. is this true? or am i pretty much done? or will only time tell?
Definitely. Peoples' voices keep changing almost their whole lives, depending on hormones, habits and other things. I wouldn't expect big changes, but your voice will change noticeably even in your 20's.

j0s1ah
09-10-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks ;)

SlapHappySunshine
09-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Totally unrelated to everything else, and perhaps it has already been said, swimming increases your "tank" or lung capacity in a hurry. So if you arent satisfied with how much you can hold go swimming for about 30 mins everyday for a month. The change is dramatic, doubling your "tank" is pretty common if you're actually doing laps instead of just messing around. Besides that you'll get buff ;)

j0s1ah
09-10-2004, 09:45 PM
i swam competitively when i was a freshman. yeah it helps. now i weighlift and run.

SlapHappySunshine
09-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Running is good for your tank to, and weight lifting can help you get the sudden vocal explosion you want if you're breathing correctly while you lift. All sports are good for singers... except maybe golf.

ilikeyoubetterdead
09-11-2004, 08:03 PM
any tips on really low screaming? like mortician or cannibal corpse?
id really appreaciate it
thanks