PDA

View Full Version : (Alt-Rock) Pixies-Doolittle

pixiesfanyo
01-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Pixies - Doolittle
August 1995
The Pixies are a huge infulence on the alt rock scene that has been going on since the early 90s, blending hardcore screams, lots of feedback and featuring the screaming of Frank Black. To their string ballads with the beautiful voiced Kim Deal. They are an amazing band who during the 80s played against the typical musical sounds and should be honored for it.

Tracklist:
1. Debaser
2. Tame
3. Wave of Mutilation
4. I Bleed
5. Here Comes Your Man
6. Dead
7. Monkey Gone To Heaven
8. Mr. Grieves
9. Crackity Jones
10. La La Love you
11. No. 13 Baby
12. There Goes my Gun
13. Hey
14. Silver
15. Gouge Away

Debaser-
Great track to start off the album with a very soothing bassline...4/5

Tame-
This is a very traditional pixies song..starts of with Frank whispering and a melodic bass drum combo and then we go into a screaming chorus with the intense feedback from guitar...excellent song 5/5

Wave of Mutilation-
Very catchy song 4.5/5

I Bleed-
Again traditional pixies song..bass and drums..then feedback..but this features kim deal's wonderful voice so...it gives it an added bonus 4/5

Here Comes Your Man-
Sounds sort of like a beach boys song...one of the weaker tracks on the album 3/5

Dead-
great great song..we get some feedback and some killer bass and drum beats...then of course frank backs it with a great set of lyrics..the chorus is prolly the best that scale on the guitar is very delightful 5/5

Monkey Gone To Heaven
another great song to follow dead..incredible lyrics and great music to go with it..sounds a little like wave of mutilation though..4.5/5

Mr. Grieves
Amazing Song...Great Guitar..Great Bass..Great Drums..Great Lyrics..Just simply a great song.. 5/5

Crackity Jones
sounds like a song off of surfer rosa but still it's a great song 4/5

La La Love you
very strange love song...but good 3.5/5

No. 13 Baby
in my opinion the weakest song..i know alot of people who like it but...i don't know something about it turns me off...2/5

There Goes my Gun
interesting song..basically it's just frank yelling there goes my gun and then blam blam blam and other sounds...4/5

Hey
in my opinion the best song on this album..great bass line..great lyrics..and the feed back is turned off in this one and gives the guitar a great feel 5/5

Silver
great string and drum song...very...odd..but fun to listen to 4.5/5

Gouge Away
This should've been the single for this album just because it's such a great song that will easily be stuck in your head for days...5/5

4.5/5
although this an amazing alt-rock album..i don't think many people who aren't into alt-rock would enjoy it

Tomahawk
01-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Good review, I mostly agree with it. Monkey gone to heaven is probably my favourite song off there, along with Hey. And I love Kim's backup vocals too, they weren't used enough on their later albums. Speaking of which...

Crackity Jones
this is the type of the songs the pixies would start exploring with on their later albums such as Surfer Rosa
I know somebody's gonna say this, so it might as well be me. Surfer Rosa came out before Doolittle did. But yeh, it does kinda sound like something off Surfer Rosa.

sr800bkAGAIN!
03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
great album. actually, to comment on your rating, ive played pixies songs on my CD player to a bunch of kids at my school, punkers, classic rock fans, even mainstream rock fans, none of whom were into alt-rock at all, and almost all of them liked the pixies a LOT when i showed the songs to them. the next weak, one of the kids i played it for came to school with a burned CD full of pixies songs.

Zappa
03-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Yeah, they're really popular at my school too. This is a good album, but my 3rd favorite that the Pixies produced. 3.5/5.

Bartender
04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
My favourite Pixies album, so far...favourite track probably either Debaser or Hey.

guitarded_chuck
04-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Good review. Pixies are one of my favorite Alternative bands. I was reading a "lost interview" with Kurt Cobain and he said that the Pixies were his all time faves. They obviously were a big influence to the grunge movement of the early 90's.

br3ad_man
04-01-2004, 04:48 PM
My favourite Pixies album, so far...favourite track probably either Debaser or Hey.

You have a pretty wide ranging taste for someone who is in The Baphomet Horde. :D

Bartender
04-02-2004, 11:43 AM
You have a pretty wide ranging taste for someone who is in The Baphomet Horde. :D

Thanks..I'll take that as a compliment.

bruise_pristine
04-02-2004, 11:59 AM
This is my favortie Pixies album, You should have described the songs more and better though. It was to short. But overall it was an ok review, but you should have gave the album 5 stars instead...

I Bleed and Gouge Away are my favorite songs from this album.

Bartender
04-02-2004, 12:08 PM
This is my favortie Pixies album, You should have described the songs more and better though. It was to short. But overall it was an ok review, but you should have gave the album 5 stars instead...

He gave his reason for not rating it 5/5 - he doesn't think many people who don't already like this kind of music would love the album all that much, and thats a version of the criteria for a 5..

I agree that the descriptions of each track were a bit short though.

bruise_pristine
04-02-2004, 12:27 PM
He gave his reason for not rating it 5/5 - he doesn't think many people who don't already like this kind of music would love the album all that much, and thats a version of the criteria for a 5..

I know it was just wishfull thinking... ;)

br3ad_man
04-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks..I'll take that as a compliment.

It was mate.

denboy
04-03-2004, 10:56 AM
I have a chance to go see the pixies live this summer.. Should I?

RollerQueen
04-03-2004, 11:31 AM
You're a fool if you don't.

And I totally agree with the review. Some people don't like balding, overweight guys singing about slicing up eyeballs. For those that do, though, this is the way to go. God save the Pixies.

andrea
04-03-2004, 09:48 PM
I love this album
it's just so catchy
it gives me a feeling
not any specific one
just a feeling

ianpurton
08-30-2004, 05:00 AM
The Pixies are in at number two on the
NME Top 100 album list (http://www.toprocklists.com)

splashfreak
08-30-2004, 06:47 PM
You gave it a 4.5/5!! It's bias!!!

jk. Good review. I'd never even heard of the pixies before you alerted me of their existence.

The Pixies are in at number two on the
NME Top 100 album list

That is the most crappy, disgusting, biggest junkpile list I've ever seen...

sr800bkBassist
08-30-2004, 07:14 PM
i'd never really realized what an amazing singer David Lovering is until recently. shame his bass playing ruined Silver.

Pixies - Doolittle
August 1995

????!