PDA

View Full Version : (Alt Rock) Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Greatest Hits

-meh
01-09-2004, 07:47 PM
The Chilli Peppers. You have to love them. Don't give me any crap about how they have been sucking even more after each album. They haven't. And it may sound cliche to say they have matured but it is ture. The lyrics have matured. They are getting older. But that dosn't prevent anyone from making a good rock album. Expecially the Chilli Peppers. When an artist is as brilliant and can span as many years as the Peppers, than you get a Greatest Hits album full of the best songs on the CD. Because usually the hits and a couple of other songs are good on your 14.99 doller disc. But that was never the case with this band. But here are the hits.

It starts with the brilliant Under the Bridge, a song in which you feel Anthony Kiedis's emotion. Originally a poem, it made a great transision into a song. Then we get to Give It Away, a song that I feel is brilliant. Excellent guitar riffs. Californication, Scar Tissue, Soul to Squeeze and Otherside Aren't exactly BRILLIANT but they are good songs. Now, here is Suck My Kiss, the greatest song on this brilliant disc. The fact that it is about sex and is so artistic is pretty funny. Great guitar lyrics and drums make this the ultimate song. By The Way, Parallel Universe were two songs that im not too crazy about, but they aren't too bad. Breaking the Girl is great. Acoustic, but that dosn't make it bad. That's also not the case for My Friends This is a great Track that is just so brilliantly written if it were a techno song it would be good. Higher Ground, Universally Speaking, Road Trippen' are great songs as well. I loved Fortune Faded . I didn't like it at first, but it grows on you. Save the Population is amazing.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: : 5 Stars

Brilliant.

YDload
01-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Wow, that's the best first post I've ever read. Even though it doesn't EXACTLY conform to the same standards as the other reviews, I say who wants to be a conformist anyway?

-meh
01-09-2004, 08:32 PM
thanks

Ganondorf
01-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Good review, the Chili Peppers are my favourite band, but I would only give it a 4.5 because they totally igonred thier first 3 albums :(

Mardy
01-10-2004, 04:30 AM
Good review, the Chili Peppers are my favourite band, but I would only give it a 4.5 because they totally igonred thier first 3 albums :(
Why should they include them since they recently gave out 'What Hits!?'

Wannabebassplayer
01-10-2004, 05:18 AM
i would also give it 5 stars, its brilliant, even though i only got it due to the 2 new songs on it lol, i have all their other albums. Also i would give it 6 stars out of 5 if your getting the CD/DVD set, the DVD is amazing, its well worth the money for itself alone

The Ashtray Girl
01-10-2004, 02:24 PM
It's a great album, but I disagree slightly with the track listing. They should have Around The World instead of Parallel Universe and Can't Stop instead of Universally Speaking IMO.

Blue Collar Tweeker
01-10-2004, 07:10 PM
I cant believe on a greatest hits album they have Universally Speaking, its easily one of the Peppers worst. I would suggest not to buy this album. Instead check out BSSM, Mothers Milk, Freaky Styley, or Uplift Mofo Party Plan. And if you want a greatest hits just buy What Hits.

Wannabebassplayer
01-11-2004, 03:30 AM
Ignore what blue collar said if your just getting into the chili's, get this album, and what hits, and then you can hear a bit off of all their albums, but I agree that parallel universe and universally speaking shouldnt be on there

Ganondorf
01-11-2004, 07:26 AM
I don't mind Parralel Universe, but Universaly Speaking is plain annoying

Blue Collar Tweeker
01-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Ignore what blue collar said if your just getting into the chili's, get this album, and what hits, and then you can hear a bit off of all their albums, but I agree that parallel universe and universally speaking shouldnt be on there

No if your just getting into the Peppers buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The Greatest Hits album gives you a wrong impression of what the Peppers can really do.

The NPC
01-11-2004, 11:05 PM
I don't mind Parralel Universe, but Universaly Speaking is plain annoying

I have to disagree with that, I like the Beach Boy like harmony they have working in that song.

brycey
01-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Universaly Speaking is plain annoying

it was ok the first time i heard it, but then it started to annoy.

brycey
01-12-2004, 09:38 AM
well done on the review. :thumb:

rik
01-21-2004, 02:06 PM
i reckon the best song on the album is soul to squeeze, i would give it 5 star

Badmoon
01-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Good review, I love that album, but I'd like it to have "Fight like a Brave", "Can't Stop", and "Around the World".

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
01-22-2004, 12:43 AM
No if your just getting into the Peppers buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik. The Greatest Hits album gives you a wrong impression of what the Peppers can really do.

I ****ing love that album. I thaught about buying Greatest Hits and still might, but as was mentioned Universally Spekaing is the ****tiest song ever. And about the first post, its not that they've been getting progressively worse. It was great, great, great, great and then a sudden stop and drop into a pile of **** called By The Way. By the Way is weak annoying crap that is an embarrasment to Flea's talent as a bassist. But Breatest Hits does have some great songs, just dont but it and think you can buy more albums that sound lie that cause theres very few of RHCP's talented and great sounding funk songs on there.

All and all. :) 3.5 / 5 stars

wheelz
01-22-2004, 09:23 PM
meh i like parallel universe...

but i agree on disliking universally speaking, and i have no clue why can't stop wasn't on there.

sheenaisapunkrocker
01-23-2004, 07:09 AM
its a great album but the songs in the middle are a bit boring after the first 5-6
give it a 4/5

Oni
01-23-2004, 11:30 AM
I -have- the CD, but I haven't listened to it yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot later.

RHCPdave
01-23-2004, 05:30 PM
how can you get a cd and not listen to it?!?!

Blood Sugar Sex Magik
01-23-2004, 06:45 PM
especially a red hot chilli pepper's cd. BSSM almost makes me listen to it.

Sirpukealot2001
01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
RHCP are geniuses. i would never think of puting another band in my most fav band's place

hybridofsound
01-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Not a bad review could be a little more discriptive though. Can't say this album was something I liked that much. Ever since By The Way i've had a resentment towards the RHCP building up but there are alot of good songs on this album. It isn't a five however. BSSM is a 5 but this doesn't constitute such a high rating IMO.

voodoo_barbie
01-25-2004, 02:30 PM
I think the Chilis are fantastic.....though I admit I am with the fans that prefer all the post-Californication stuff. It's more textured and the lyrics mean a bit more, especially saying you hear some random line, like "when my best friend died, I could not get my copper clean" and you suddenly remember that it's real, it actually happened. Not a lot of bands have that kind of history and truth in their words. They'll sing of losing somebody or heroin abuse etc. etc., when they really haven't experienced any of that...it just becomes words.
The only bad side to this is the way they have become *so* commercialized. Everywhere I go little teenybopper 10-year-olds are listening and singing this stuff and they have no idea about it. They don't appreciate it or anything. It ruins a band to become so popular

Wannabebassplayer
01-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah I believe that BSSM and before was the best... I am kind of getting a bit sick of people at school saying how much they know about "the 2 albums that the chili's have released and how amazing they are!!!" Its pisses me off, expecially being an obsessive fan who can tell you whatever you want about the chili's lol

ATC
02-01-2004, 11:09 AM
universally speaking isnt that bad..its listenable

bassistlikeflea
02-02-2004, 07:52 AM
I didn't bother with the Greatest Hits CD. I have all their albums since BSSM (and I love them all) so I didn't really feel the need. As for What Hits!? It's a good cross section of their earlier stuff...I have that one too.

Jimihendrixviper
04-09-2004, 09:24 PM
I loved the cd, but i dunno about a 5, posibly a 4.5 because like everyone has said, parallel universe and universally speaking are on it, t=not that they are bad songs, its just that RHCP have done better

spoon_of_grimbo
04-18-2004, 02:10 PM
i like pretty much every rhcp song, but the greatest hits should have aeroplane instead of my friends
i gotta agree tho, the earlier funky stuff is their best

Niandras-Shirt
05-28-2004, 12:16 PM
man you cant beat the peppers, they have matured and im glad that they are still a band and can still kick ***, i try to stay away from greatest hits records though cause they usually dont depict the correct image of a band, but the peppers a good all around so it rocks

5 stars my friends

<3<3<3
05-28-2004, 02:49 PM
^ A Frusciante fan?

Universally speaking is a song that grows on you.

As for parallel universe that song is really good.

Greatest hits is a really good mix of things. Although, they could have had a few more songs on it.