PDA

View Full Version : ("Dark, Epic Rock") Evanescence - Fallen

The JoZ
01-06-2004, 01:07 PM
...Before I begin, I want to say that I hope this can over without this becoming a big flame-fest. So far, this forum seems more mature than R&M, so I don't think that will be a problem. I label this "dark, epic rock" because that's what Amy was quoted as calling the band. Some people slap them into the "nu metal" category, which I, and everyone else may not agree with. If you want to debate their genre anymore...do it somewhere else.

Now...

I write this review, because since I fell into this depression I'm in...I've been listening to it non-stop...and I've always seen a bitter battle between Evanescence haters and lovers in R&M...I'm sick of people judging them based on 'Bring Me To Life" and/or "Going Under"...so...here we are

For those who've lived under a rock, Evanescence had been the duo of Amy Lee and Ben Moody, doing vocals and lead guitar respectively. John Lecompt, Rocky Gray, and Will Boyd make up their touring band, guitar, drums and bass. Ben has recently left the band, so darned if I know..their site didn't seem to mention it, but it was talked about elsewhere....anyway...onward

Going Under (3:34)
The second single off the album starts out with a heavy drop-B guitar riff, and a low, possibly slightly distorted vocal melody from Amy with intermingling of piano in the background. The drums also get some sort of weird distortion going on in the beginning...the chorus is a bit stronger IMO, with a vocal harmony behind Amy's already strong vocals, but the guitar is still pretty simple...bridge is another showcase for Amy...then comes the semi-infamous "three second guitar solo" from Ben. It's really ten seconds...and it's not the worst I've heard, but it isn't a display of mastery either. One of their weaker tracks

Bring Me To Life (3:57)
If you haven't heard this song, at least once, you really have been living under a rock. Opens up with a piano melody and some strings in the background with Amy singing over it. Fade in to a heavy-ish guitar riff...lead into the chorus, which sees guest vocals from 12 Stones' Paul McCoy. It's a nice compliment, I guess. There's a bridge which has two parts...the first part is more based on Amy's singing...and is one of only a few times that the bassist actually does something on the album..it's simple, but I like it...Paul kicks off the second part of the bridge with rap/metalish vocals...followed by another chorus or two to end, ending with strings and piano again. This was clearly made for radio and for the movie, and has been played to death...this is why people call them "nu metal"

Everybody's Fool (3:16)
The intro of this makes me think of Final Fantasy IX...sounds like something that was, or could have been played a few times in the game...it's a shame they didn't focus on that melody more, cause I liked it. There's some electronica type thing going on behind Amy in the chorus...gives it an interesting ambience...there's a bridge with just Amy, choral background and piano..etherial sounding...guitars fade back in...another chorus or so finishes it. This, combined with the first two, might be their three weakest tracks. They aren't totally bad, but don't do them justice I don't think

My Immortal (4:24)
The album version of this song is a beautiful, very depressing ballad without any guitar in it. It's a beautiful piano melody with a string background...with some slight electronic-ambience thing every now and then...doesn't do much either way for the song...the bridge in this song is a variation of the piano melody..I'd call it a solo, but well, it's pretty much soloing the entire time...strings add a definite sadness to the background of Amy's voice...she ends with another chorus, and some piano melody variants before it fades out..

My Immortal (the band/radio version)
Not on the album, but released for the radio...about 3:08 or so, when the song changes mood slightly, the rest of the band joins in. In my opinion, the piano/strings version is better...but I like the guitar work in this one as well...both songs are good, and somewhat haunting, but the album version is superior

Haunted (3:06)
Opens with some electronic noise...gives a very haunting 'night time' atmosphere over the piece...drums are the second instrument to enter, and they are distorted/effected somehow...the chorus is strong for Amy, but the guitar is slightly weak..it compliments her, but doesn't do anything special. After the chorus, some machine-gunning comes from the rest of the band...resembles something that might be done by a death metal band...another chorus...and a guitar solo..with some choir in the background...this solo is longer, nearing the thirty second mark...we get another chorus, with the choir doing most of the chorus and Amy doing variations over them...reminds me of "One Winged Angel" slightly...not totally, but just a tiny bit...end with another machine gun riff...

Tourniquet (4:38)
Opens with weird electronic whooshing and sounds...resembles NIN a bit...guitar riff is one of my favorite...with some harmonics work going on as well...this song will definetly make you question their religious standpoints, with references to God, salvation, and even Christ...even though Amy is quoted as saying they have no stance....hmm...string arrangements on this one are a nice backdrop, and we get some more piano a few bars before the next chorus...a mini interlude thing...some haunting choir effects, and Amy screaming "I WANT TO DIE!"...another chorus...and we end with a string outro...that fades right into...

Imaginary (4:17)
I like the string intro here...there's almost a sense of urgency in their playing, at least at first...distorted guitar gives way to acoustic guitar and piano...with a bassline that is clearly heard...but is clearly harmony...break out distortion again for the chorus...guitar riff simple, but effective...repeat verse structure...chorus...a bridge, of sorts, with acoustic, piano, and lower strings...then higher strings come in...then strings, guitars, bass, and some electronic thing have a section together...there's that sense of urgency again...back to a chorus...and we finish with that same string passage from the beginning

Taking Over Me (3:50)
Opens with some distorted guitar, fades into just piano and strings...then we get some harmonics that fade in and out of the background from the guitar...chorus riff is again pretty simple...then they do some weird phasing thing, and we're back to a verse...mini break, another chorus...bridge of sorts at 2:30 with just Amy, piano and strings...guitars fade back in...another chorus, end with a held guitar chord..

Hello (3:40)
Opens with an effected guitar chord, then fades to just Amy and a nice piano melody...cello background comes in a bar or two later...and that's the entire verse, followed by that weird effected guitar chord again...then more of Amy + piano + cello. This song is slightly slower than the rest...only My Immortal is as slow as this one, or slower....the message in this song is a bit less depressing than in the others...bout 2:15, we get a cello solo of sorts...ah I love it...Amy hits a really high note in this song...this one shows her range well I think...ends with just some piano...very nice

My Last Breath (4:07)
Opens with some sort of sampled intro...I kinda like it...guitars and strings come in...I really like the way they complimented one another...we get just drums and some electronic ambience for the verse...then we get a string melody...that's really weird sounding....break in the guitars for a big sounding chorus...the bridge here involves an increase in tempo, and some vocal doubling of sorts with Amy...another chorus or two...almost a mini drum solo towards the end of this song...and we fade out...

Whisper (5:27)
Opens with a heavy guitar riff and some strings...they fade out to some effected bassline, I believe...maybe it's electronic, I don't know...strings come back in, with a piano coming in a bar or two later...choir background comes in, adds a haunting atmosphere to it...chorus is huge with guitars, strings, choir background, and some vocal doubling as well....another verse, and things quiet back down a bit...another huge chorus...bridge thing at 2:20 where the strings get a nice melody...it's huge sounding as well...strings fade out, then back in with guitars coming back in, all while the choir background is still wailing away...silence w/ Amy for a second, then buildup again. Choir is more heard, they chant some sort of thing in Latin...guitars are heavy, strings are very busy...I thought I heard some type of walking bassline back there...although this isn't a long piece by most standards, it still has an epic sound. Guitars and drums fade away, leaving us with just strings and latin-chanting choir...and that's how we fade out

Rating: 4/5

I hope that now, at least one other person will take the time to at least give some of these songs a listen...to look beyond "Bring Me To Life" or "Going Under". I think they are a solid group...sure, the guitar work is not virtuosic, and the basslines are nothing to talk about...but I liked the arrangements...I like the exploration....the drumming was very solid I thought...and I think Amy has a great voice...

...and please don't go telling me 'they suxx0r, Nightwish/Lacuna Coil pwns them!!1one'...I've heard both groups, and I liked what I heard...that doesn't mean I can't like Evanescence too...

brycey
01-06-2004, 01:13 PM
that was a GREAT review.
kudos!

i'm not a big fan of them, but i do like a few of their songs.

and final fantasy 9 PWNS.

:thumb:

d0ped0g
01-06-2004, 02:21 PM
meh, i'll give the album a listen but prolly wont buy it
i'm constantly changing my musical tastes and atm i'm getting into more "educated" and progressive music. I've never really hated Evanescence and i cringe when rock/metal forumers (like myself) slap the nu-metal logo on them and use it as an excuse to hate them.

on a different note... dont you think that the piano interlude in Opeth's "to rid the disease" sounds like something from Final Fantasy (i think i'm making the connection to either 7 or 10... i'm not sure)

The JoZ
01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
I'd have to hear it...I'll get back to you

GhoulScout
01-06-2004, 02:58 PM
wonderful review. Im a fan of Evanescence as well as Lacuna Coil and i myself hate Bring Me To Life the most on the album. Im glad somebody actually reviewed the album without having the 'THEIR JUST STUPID NU-METAL CRAP' mindset going in. Good job.

epifreak2002
01-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I liked that you gave a nice mature review to this album, though I'd give it a 3, 3.5 tops. It's not a bad album, but they don't really do much on it that hasn't been done many times before. Amy does have a nice voice, but from the sound of the album, alot of her sound comes from the fact that she multitracks her voice. (In some tracks, I heard 3 or 4 Amys.) This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means that they probably aren't that great sounding live, though I think I've discovered the phenomenon that almost anything sounds great from a mosh-pit. I actually like Bring me to Life. It's probably one of my favorites, but as I rarely if ever listen to the radio, it never got overplayed for me.

pixiesfanyo
01-06-2004, 03:58 PM
they sounded good live on their hard rock thing on mtv2 epi...and amy is pretty...

BuddyBigsby
01-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm a massive Evanescence fan and I thank you for not labeling them nu-metal. You are my hero.

Damrod
01-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Nice, 'objective' review. I have not listened to the album, but from hearing the singles, I don't think it's a Nu-metal band.

I'll say it again: Nice job. :thumb:

manuscriptreplica
01-06-2004, 09:14 PM
ive only heard going under + bring me to life, whilst i used to like them both, they are far too overplayed, and i dont like them anymore. and they are nu-metal (not that i have a problem with the genre) they tune their guitars way down and play the same chord over and over again (at least in bring me to life)

Wannabebassplayer
01-10-2004, 05:33 AM
A good review, its just a shame that i think the band are absolutely awful :( but thats my opinion

epifreak2002
01-10-2004, 01:22 PM
they sounded good live on their hard rock thing on mtv2 epi...and amy is pretty...

Hmm...guess I'm wrong, and yes she is.

SxRxnRnR4Life
01-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I used to be a big fan... Then their CD came out and I bought it. A week or two later I sold it back. I was really dissapointed. In my opinion, all of the songs sound the same. My Immortal is a nice change of pace, but the rest of the album is far too similar for my tastes. 2/5

Peace

The JoZ
01-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok, that pissed me off...who labeled this as "Nu Metal"??

It was my review, and in my opinion, they aren't Nu metal...:mad:

The NPC
01-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Ok, that pissed me off...who labeled this as "Nu Metal"??

It was my review, and in my opinion, they aren't Nu metal...:mad:

Great review, but I gave the album the rating of--Poopers lupers dupers smoochers pitty poo.... .5/5

BuddyBigsby
01-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Everyone that hates Fallen , go download some of their early material like "Understanding", "Forever Gone, Forever You", and "Lies", just to name a few.

OpiateTheMasses!
01-10-2004, 04:58 PM
n0 wai dood, i aint d-loaded ne uther songs, cuz dey r da gayyest. Lisen 2 reel metal like da 'Knot

Great review. I can always trust a review from Nazi Bassist. You sctually dived in, and made a great review. Kudos.

The NPC
01-10-2004, 07:17 PM
n0 wai dood, i aint d-loaded ne uther songs, cuz dey r da gayyest. Lisen 2 reel metal like da 'Knot

Great review. I can always trust a review from Nazi Bassist. You sctually dived in, and made a great review. Kudos.

Yeah, Nazi Bassist always pulls through.

Mojo2004
01-11-2004, 09:34 AM
**** gd reveiw......its a gd album, and thank you for not calling them "nu metal"

hybridofsound
02-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Very strong review. I can understand what you went through with the whole nu-metal debate (I've reviewed 2 Linkin Park albums). This has some good moments and some weak moments. I'll look to the future to see if Evanessence can improve. The only thing I didn't like on this album was the fact the lyrics are all so bleak.

LordDargon
03-16-2004, 01:56 PM
heavy drop-B guitar riff

I find that both amusing, and sickening.

Fender_Strat8915
03-16-2004, 02:05 PM
d'amn i can only say one thing.......they suck.....

everybody thinks that amy lee can sing but she cant....everybody doesnt even no what the hell they are talking about cuz evan sucks

LordDargon
03-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Great review, but I gave the album the rating of--Poopers lupers dupers smoochers pitty poo.... .5/5

:lol: I give at a 0/5 since it is t3h sux0r. Hee hee, no it is just extremely slow and boring and simple and unintersting.

And I dont understand, did a Mod come and change your label to say Nu-Metal? If so, props to the mod :thumb:

LordDargon
03-16-2004, 02:09 PM

everybody thinks that amy lee can sing but she cant....everybody doesnt even no what the hell they are talking about cuz evan sucks

You are an idiot, wayy more of an idiot than, say, someone who does like Evan. You like korn, you talk like an idiot, and you like Korn, yet Korn and Evan are very similar. Both mallcore, infact. So. Go boil your arse.

epifreak2002
03-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Upon further not listening to this album because I have better stuff, I'd like to revise my review to a 1.5. Amy's got a pretty good voice, even if she doesn't show that much vocal range on this, and if she were fronting a different band, like maybe with some skill, she might produce some good stuff. Then again, who am I to talk, as she's probably got a swimming pool full of money by now.

The JoZ
03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
I find that both amusing, and sickening.

I give at a 0/5 since it is t3h sux0r. Hee hee, no it is just extremely slow and boring and simple and unintersting.

And I dont understand, did a Mod come and change your label to say Nu-Metal? If so, props to the mod

You are an idiot, wayy more of an idiot than, say, someone who does like Evan. You like korn, you talk like an idiot, and you like Korn, yet Korn and Evan are very similar. Both mallcore, infact. So. Go boil your arse.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread to bitch, you mindless assholes. :angry:

I could honestly care less if you don't like them, but don't come in here spouting this sort of hatred. Go to R&M and do it. Or better yet, shove it, and go pretend to be uber l33t somewhere else. In reference to the "heavy drop B riff", it's heavy for the genre...it's not as heavy as, say, the drop B riffs of At the Gates, that's for sure, but I didn't mean that it was a HEAVY riff, you know? Obviously, you don't, since you let your idiocy speak for you.

:angry:

Kaden
03-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Meh, I've listened to some more of their music. My Immortal is a decent song, but it's the only one that striked me as interesting. Just not my style of music.

Light_Fantastic
03-16-2004, 04:02 PM
I listened to the entire CD recently...
After Bring me to Life, & My Immortal...
Every riff sounded the same, no key changes, no creativity...nothing..
Amy's voice is decent, but nothing groundbreaking there.....
I listened to song after boring song....plodding along, sounding the same droning on & on...
I sure hope the sophomore CD shows a little life..

Jay

badhabit6
08-16-2004, 12:40 AM
They were an ok band that was incredibly overplayed. I don' however see any future for them aside from the guys forming yet another metal band as they're all from respective metal bands (lLving Sacrifice, Soul Embraced). No one's mentioned that The "Origin" version of Whisper was waaaaaay better than the cheap remix on the album.

splashfreak
08-16-2004, 07:38 AM
I don't see how you can give this a 4/5. I mean, it is so... average. Maybe a 3/5, but definitely not four. Everything kind of sounds the same, and on a personal note, I really don't like her voice. It doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't seem to fit with the music that much...

fleas_fingers
08-16-2004, 07:50 AM
yeh...i guess they SOUND good. but it terms of musicianship.....2/10. They play the same chords, play in the same key, and only have a few variations on the chord progressions.

fleas_fingers
08-16-2004, 07:58 AM
i think that most musicians would find their songs cringingly simple and having a lack of creativity. there's no skill involved. i can figure out the guitar parts after hearing the song 1-3 times. even once for the really simple ones. but i guess people like them just because they sound good...the distortion sounds good.

The JoZ
08-16-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't see how you can give this a 4/5. I mean, it is so... average. Maybe a 3/5, but definitely not four. Everything kind of sounds the same, and on a personal note, I really don't like her voice. It doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't seem to fit with the music that much...

Well, you think it sounds average.

I think the radio singles aren't that special, but I think their other work is pretty good for mainstream music.

I don't care if it's simple, to me, good music is about how effective it is at evoking emotion, and this does a good job of it. Yes, the emotions might be bleak, depressing and whatnot, but that's what they did. Sure, there are better artists out there, but in the scope of mainstream alt rock/hard rock, this is slightly above alot of what's out there.

When I want technical music, I listen to Dream Theater or Tool. I didn't listen to this CD to get mind-crushing, ultra-technical progressive goth metal. Take it for what it is, and either enjoy it, or don't, I don't really care.

Iai
08-16-2004, 04:33 PM
wonderful review. Im a fan of Evanescence as well as Lacuna Coil and i myself hate Bring Me To Life the most on the album. Im glad somebody actually reviewed the album without having the 'THEIR JUST STUPID NU-METAL CRAP' mindset going in. Good job.

Exactly what I was going to say. I'm on the street team for Century Media - and their roster features Lacuna Coil, Lullacry, The Gathering, and once featured Nightwish. And every time people find this out, they always react the same way - 'Oh, you mean these bands are like Evanescence, but real.' Or, if they already know the bands, 'Oh, that band Evanescence rips off.' Thanks to that I've pretty much become their most staunch defender.

Even though, admittedly, it does annoy when I get half-way through describing Nightwish and they say 'Oh, like Evanescence.' They sound nothing alike!

Iai
08-16-2004, 04:34 PM
When I want technical music, I listen to Dream Theater or Tool. I didn't listen to this CD to get mind-crushing, ultra-technical progressive goth metal. Take it for what it is, and either enjoy it, or don't, I don't really care.

Spot on.

chloe110189
08-18-2004, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Nazi Bassist]...Before I begin, I want to say that I hope this can over without this becoming a big flame-fest. So far, this forum seems more mature than R&M, so I don't think that will be a problem. I label this "dark, epic rock" because that's what Amy was quoted as calling the band. Some people slap them into the "nu metal" category, which I, and everyone else may not agree with. If you want to debate their genre anymore...do it somewhere else.
electronic thing have a section together...there's that sense of urgency again...back to a chorus...and we finish with that same string passage from the beginning........................e.t.c

QUOTE]
THANKYOU SO MUCH!
i am such a BIG EVANESCENCE fan, i love them to bits and i seriously cannot go a day without listenin 2 them. Theyv helpd me through so many hard times and have also introduced me to other bands tht i now like and wouldnt have bothered listening to 11/2 years ago. I have tried to get poeple to listen to Fallen and/or Origin as i think alot of the songs on that demo are great too, but poeple are too quick to judge and dont like to admit they are rong when they realise Evanescence is fantastic and Amy Lee has the most amazing voice, and before anyone says it, IT IS REAL!!!!! i jhave heard sooo many people say tht it is just a studio voice when they edit her voice, but ur rong, i have seen them live 2wice and each tym her voice has got better!!!! Please give them another chance if you dont like them. If there not your style, fair doos, but dont judge on just 2 songs. :thumb:

The JoZ
08-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Here's a friendly hint

Proofread before you post :)

Shadowed Reflection
09-19-2004, 04:24 AM
i would have to say that most of their tracks sound the same. My sister is a big fan and always plays the album, i am sick to death of it. The only track i enjoyed was imaginary. Its not to my taste so i wont rate it.

evilmenhavenosongs
09-19-2004, 05:53 AM
Apparantly Lemmy thinks it's one of the best recent rock albums.

*useless information*

Iai
09-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Apparantly Lemmy thinks it's one of the best recent rock albums.

*useless information*

Yngwie does too.

So don't slag them off, or Yngwie will throw a hissy fit, and Lemmy actually WILL unleash the fucking fury.

The JoZ
09-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, there you go. If Yngwie and Lemmy approve, it must be a good album.

I can't believe some of the arguments I read in this thread though. "Omg they play in the same key". So? Everything done by Tool, save 3 songs, is done in D...does that make them bad? Hell no, it doesn't.

Or how about most of the stuff done by early Metallica? Standard tuning. Also considered some of the best stuff out there.

You're really grasping for something to complain about when you have to rip a band's tuning or what key they play in.

And about the riffs they play? You people must have selective hearing, in that, you only hear what the guitar is doing. I like this album not because of the guitar playing, but the music as a whole. Listen to the strings arrangements, the choral arrangements, the piano, the ambient noises that go on. I could give a crap less what Ben Moody was doing on this album. The distortion guitars are just there to reel in idiot 'mallcore' kids. If you ignore that, they aren't nu-metal at all.

In fact, I'd really, really appreciate it if someone (Bartender?) could change my review title back to "Dark, Epic Rock" (with the quotations)...because Stingray changed it to nu-metal when I believe this clearly is not.

Mozzletoffed
11-30-2004, 05:24 PM
I agree also..i hate the new version of my immortal. I love the one on the daredevil soundtrack.
i saw these guys in concert with seether (one of my favorite bands seether is) and to my surprise evanescence put on a decent show..and all the way to the show i was like "I HATE EVANESCENCE!!" ..they were ok but i still don't really want to become a fan.

The JoZ
11-30-2004, 06:46 PM
In fact, I'd really, really appreciate it if someone (Bartender?) could change my review title back to "Dark, Epic Rock" (with the quotations)...because Stingray changed it to nu-metal when I believe this clearly is not.

Since this was bumped, I'd really appreciate this request being honored, please.

badhabit6
11-30-2004, 07:47 PM
the origins version of whisper owns! that song is the perfect example of y they were much better b4 becoming so mainstream. do they even have any new music anymore? cuz most of the songs on the album were from previous demos werent they? or songs from other bands.

Bartender
11-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Since this was bumped, I'd really appreciate this request being honored, please.

Done. Would have been done quicker if you'd posted outside of this thread, though; increases my chances of seeing and reading it.

The JoZ
11-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks Bartender.

Kirk's Puppet
11-30-2004, 10:47 PM
We judge Evanescence from their radio/MTV hits because those are the songs that they put out for us to listen to. We don't like the songs we heard and you expect us to go dig up their other stuff and try to listen to them? The songs the band put out for us to listen to are the songs they want to represent the album with, I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain clearly.

Anyways, Amy Lee's vocals are ear-piercing.

The JoZ
11-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Well, I just sent Bobo some of their non-radio stuff, and he thought they were pretty good.

BoboTheRagingHobo
11-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Well, I just sent Bobo some of their non-radio stuff, and he thought they were pretty good.

Yea, it wasn't half as bad as some of you make it out to be. I actually enjoyed it, and till this point I had only heard the one single Bring Me To Life...

Yet another reason why to not judge a band on their singles or how popular they are.

BuddyBigsby
11-30-2004, 11:43 PM
I love Origin and all of their independent odds and ends.

Jom
12-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I like the opening vocal notes to "Lies." The only beef I have with Evanescence is that Amy posted online saying that Cold broke up because Terry left Cold to join Evanescence, and there was this huge online war about it... but she apologized and admitted she was wrong in doing so, so I should forgive her... she's very pretty and has a good voice... I haven't heard all of "Fallen" though.

... but why is she banging that guy from Seether? :upset: Oh, well... haha