PDA

View Full Version : (Pop Punk/Punk Rock)VA-A Different Shade Of Green - A Tribute To Green Day

Kif
12-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Band: Various Artists
Title: A Different Shade Of Green - A Tribute To Green Day
Released: ?

Tracklist:
1. Rudiger - 2000 Light Years Away
2. Inspection 12 - FOD
3. Wirebox - When I Come Around
4. Fenway Park - She
5. The Velma Fix - Basket Case
6. Insomniac - Minorty
7. Weezer - Worry Rock
8. Taking The Fall - Redundant
9. Wester - J.A.R
10. Up Syndrome - Going To Pasalacqua
11. Knockout - Burnout
12. McDolly - Macy Day Parade
13. Pensive - Christie Road
14. Wheelie - Rest (Secret song All By Myself)

At the start I was if-fy on whether to get this or not. I'd heard rumours that the Weezer cover was the worst on the album and it sounds very thrown together and not much effort has been put into it. But, I decided to check it out for myself.

1. Rudiger - 2000 Light Years Away
This is a valiant effort, yet it still just sounds the same as the original to me with different lyrics. There is nothing special here and not a very pleasing opening to a tribute album I'd expect more from.

2. Inspection 12 - FOD
A nice acoustic intro which quickly gets into the song. I like this cover a lot. The piano in the background fits nicely into their style of music. Now we are making up for the poor introduction song...

3. Wirebox - When I Come Around
Very different. This is very experimental, with weird "Network" like effects and a woman's vocals; but it works well. This is what it should be like, adjusting a song to your style. Definatly, even though it's not to every Green Day fans liking, a great song on the album.

4. Fenway Park - She
Very heavy intro, very light and different verses. The song is sung in different timings and it doesn't work as well as the original. It is a good effort to make the song their own, but they fail at doing it. Not a good cover at all.

5. The Velma Fix - Basket Case
My favourite cover on the whole album, this is a great cover in my opinion. 2 guitars playing makes it so much better. Very much like the original but the solo at the end tops it off. If you want to hear a good cover listen to this.

6. Insomniac - Minorty
An EXACT copy. Maybe not as good guitar playing and different lyrics but if it had Billie's lyrics you would think it was Green Day. This is a brilliant cover, but doesn't deserve to be on this record really.

7. Weezer - Worry Rock
A different apporach to the song, but it's done badly. I can't say I like this because of the thrown together instruments and it just insults the original. Sorry people who like this, it is just not good!

8. Taking The Fall - Redundant
Very pop punk. This sound slike it could come from New Found Glory, which I quite like. This is a pretty good cover in my opinion, different verses and intros, definatly one of my favourites.

9. Wester - J.A.R
Not much different for the cover of Redundant, but it still sounds good. The vocals sound so much lik Jordan from New Found Glory, but the music itself is done well and the high point of the song.

10. Up Syndrome - Going To Pasalacqua
A good effort. Again, like Minority and 2000 Light Years Away, this sounds a lot like the original. Good music though, but again the vocals aren't that good.

11. Knockout - Burnout
No one can fill like Tre, but this is a not-half bad of a cover. This sounds a lot like the original, but it does sounds good. I can't really say anything special about it, it is very boring in my opinion.

12. McDolly - Macy Day Parade
Genius cover. Turning the acoustic to electric and making it sound good as well. This is one of th best covers on the album, shame about the vocals though.

13. Pensive - Christie Road
Acoustic intro and slow lyrics, it doesn't work well. I can't say it's bad, because it isn't. But the song itself isn't one to point out YET. Picks up well near the middle though into electric. Now I can feel the energy of it. In all: Acoustic part - not bad, Electric part - amazing

14. Wheelie - Rest(Secret song All By Myself)
Well played this song is. The vocals don't fit the acoustic guitar very well as it's echoed, but it is a good cover. All By Myself however is great. Not the same as the original but still makes me laugh when I hear it

All in all, it isn't very good and not really worth buying unless you are a hardcore Green Day fan. Some highlights on the album, but it just sounds thrown together and not very much heart and effort went into it.

A poor 2/5 :D:D:(:(:(

PunkinDonuts
12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
I didnt wanna buy it either, but were the bands SUPPOSED to write different lyrics to the songs?

brycey
12-31-2003, 08:16 PM
i've never even heard of this album. :confused:

it sounded cool, but i'm not so sure now.

Vaya
12-31-2003, 08:30 PM
i heard it..it made me want to kill myself it was horrid

thevelmafixrules
07-09-2004, 01:50 PM
[b]the Velma Fix Was One Of Maybe 2 Or 3 Bands That Put A Twist On The Greenday Tribute Cd.the Velma Fix Was Definately The Most Talented.id Like To See Billy Joe Play Their Solo To Basketcase.billy Joe?u R Cool Been Youve Been Shown Up By The Velma Fix.oh Ya,knockout Was Cool To.rudiger Sucked Major ***.