PDA

View Full Version : (Metal) Metallica - Ride The Lightning

sting-ray
12-29-2003, 05:28 AM
http://web.mit.edu/mverticc/www/downloads/ride_light.jpg

Ride The Lightning is the second metallica album; it was released in August 1984. It was recorded in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The Band

James Hetfield - Rhythm guitar(s), lead vocals
Lars Ulrich - Drums
Kirk Hammet - Lead guitar(s)
Cliff Burton - Bass, backing vocals
[Dave Mustaine] - Helped write songs(before he left)

Track Listing

1. Fight Fire With Fire
2. Ride The Lightning
3. For Whom The Bell Tolls
4. Fade To Black
5. Trapped Under Ice
6. Escape
7. Creeping Death
8. The Call Of Ktulu

Track-By-Track Analysis

Fight Fire With Fire: This song starts with a fairly long intro which itself is nice and easy. There is a sudden change of pace in the song; the song turns very heavy and remains that way.
Ride The Lightning: Great track. The song starts with an impact; an agressive opening riff gets the track under way. This song is pretty much all fast, hard, and straight-ahead. A nice solo past the midway point adds finesse and flavour to the song. The song then concludes with the opening riff.
For Whom The Bell Tolls: This is a classic. Great song. Some awsome riffs are featured, but the abscence of a solo is felt.
Fade To Black: This is one of the most recognized ballads of all time. A true classic. This song is great for beginner/intermediate guitarists (and bassists) to learn. This is a beautiful song, and ends with a mellow solo.
Trapped Under Ice: Nothing special here. You still get the same consistant heaviness, but catchiness in the music and lyrics lacks.
Escape: This isn't a bad track, but it tends to annoy the listener after a while. Once again, this is not a very catchy track.
Creeping Death: Good song. Some interesting riffs and lyrics are shown. The song has a nice solo to it around the 3/4 mark, but after that it goes downhill.
The Call Of Ktulu: Instrumental. A very soothing track that has "scary" sounding parts. This song is vey enjoyable and is an a good song. Its the perfect way to bring a close to the album.

Notable Tracks

Ride The Lightning
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade To Black
Creeping Death
The Call Of Ktulu

Positives And Negatives of The Album

Positives

- Very consistant album with its sound
- Nice and heavy; good for people that like thrash

Negatives

- Horrible sound, which brings the albums stock down.
- Hetfield's voice is quite irritating (on this album)

Rating

3/5

- to the person(s) who requested this: Enjoy.

RideTheSpiral
12-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Great layout. Good review.

Squirrel
12-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Good review, nice detail. I absolutely adore this album ( and metallica ) and i think this is a showcase of what they can achieve. Who cares what they put out nowadays when you've got stuff like this to listen to ?

Listen and enjoy.

YDload
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks a bunch!

sting-ray
12-29-2003, 05:07 PM
anytime man :)

manuscriptreplica
12-29-2003, 08:55 PM
loves sting-ray for doing ride the lightning :p

:naughty:

manuscriptreplica
12-29-2003, 08:59 PM
so like, ok a few Q's:
ir orion better than call of klutu? (i cant be bothered downloading it)
hetfields voice has improved 10 fold over what it was in kill em all from what ive heard (fade to black, trapped under ice, escape) so yeah.

p.s. you didnt mention how cheesy escape was!! :lol: nice revew anyway,

sting-ray
12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
i personally prefer orion because it has this creamy-crunch sound. Ktulu is also a little more repetitive than orion. They're both awsome songs though.

EDIT: yes, hetfields voice dramatically improves on master of puppets. Kill 'em all and Ride the lightning are his personal worst albums.

manuscriptreplica
12-29-2003, 09:14 PM
^ really? Because like i said in Fade to Black, his voice is excellent, and really it's no different to anything on master of puppets.

meh i'll just buy the album.

sting-ray
12-29-2003, 09:34 PM
^ really? Because like i said in Fade to Black, his voice is excellent, and really it's no different to anything on master of puppets.

meh i'll just buy the album.

Fade to black and For whom the bell tolls sound good, but overall the sound is bad (not as bad as kill 'em all though)

Bullit
12-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Fight Fire With Fire is the best song on there IMO :o

YDload
12-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Call of Ktulu is a great instrumental, but I like Orion better for the bass.

BirdsOfFires
12-31-2003, 10:15 PM
Lovely layout, however, can you please in the future go more into depth?

For Whom The Bell Tolls: This is a classic. Great song. Some awsome riffs are featured, but the abscence of a solo is felt.

...doesn't really tell us anything...

Okay review anyway.

:thumb:

Maveryck
12-31-2003, 11:55 PM
Good review sting-ray.

I personally would have given it at least 3.5, possibly 4. Only so high because this is the album that deflowered me as far as my musical taste goes, and it opened me up to heavy music in general. After re-arranging Fade To Black for orchestra (long story), I first came to see how heavy metal could be sophisticated, complex and moving, as well as good to thrash out to.

Favourite track: Fade To Black.

And for anyone who wants to hear Fade To Black with better production/arrangement/etc., I highly recommend downloading the Sonata Arctica cover. It's good stuff. :thumb:

antooon
01-01-2004, 12:32 PM
...was me but, now hes gooooooneee!!! Tadada-Tadada!!!

OMG I love this album!

Trapped under Ice is pretty bad, but I really like Escape, mainly because its so funny... I lie its irritatingness... if there is such a word. Good review, but the album is worth at least 6/5.....

Meh, Im a fanboy.

Distorted Vision
01-01-2004, 03:07 PM
And for anyone who wants to hear Fade To Black with better production/arrangement/etc., I highly recommend downloading the Sonata Arctica cover. It's good stuff. :thumb:

I like that version, but I wish they would have put the solo in at the end. It's my favourite part of FTB, which is my favourite song ever (tied with A Change Of Seasons).

Anywho, Ride The Lightning is probably my second favourite Metallica album after Master Of Puppets. I think the step up they made from Kill Em All, in all aspects of the band, is pretty incredible for such a young band.

OpiateTheMasses!
01-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I always wondered what review by sting-ray looked like. That was a good review.
That is my favorite Metallica album, so I would give it 4.5/5

sting-ray
01-01-2004, 07:33 PM
I always wondered what review by sting-ray looked like.

you wont see too many more; i will do at most 1 per month (i have done 3 to date). Time is not an issue for me. I prefer that people don't relate my reviews to my modding or use one of my poor reviews (should i make one) to defend their own poor review.

badger_badger
01-07-2004, 12:45 AM
i thought trapped under ice was a bit better than what you gave it credit for. the lyrics definately leave a bit to be desired but i think the explosive solos by kirk hold the song together.

brycey
01-08-2004, 10:53 AM
i really enjoy listening to for whom the bell tolls, and fade to black is a remarkable song. :thumb:

VERY well done on this review sting-ray.

brycey
01-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Trapped under Ice is pretty bad, but the album is worth at least 6/5.....

how can you give it 6/5 if a song was pretty bad?

epifreak2002
01-08-2004, 04:30 PM
how can you give it 6/5 if a song was pretty bad?

He used his Jedi Mind Tricks to convince himself that that song doesn't exist, but he did so after typing that first part of his post where he said the song was pretty bad. Then he was confused as to how to backspace, as he accidentally wiped that knowledge from his brain too, so he couldn't delete the first part of his post. He decided to just leave it and post that reply. Confused yet?

Kirk's Puppet
01-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Good review!! Bells also has a feel that it's too short. But I don't feel the lack of solos.

Alvarez403
04-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Good review if I do say so myself. I used to listen to Metallica but not that much anymore. I never got to get that cd of theres but I do have 2 of there cds and there ok to listen sometimes.

SubtleDagger
04-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Most people don't seem to get Fight Fire With Fire, which I think is the best track here. That palm muting when that guitar comes in is mind-numbingly fast and accurate. And once you realize that Lars is playing in 4/4 during the verses (it's hard to pick out), you realize just how fantastic it is. Not to mention the ending.

Ah well. Still a good review of a fantastic album.

TTTSNB
04-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Awesome review. I really like fight fire with fire and for whom the bell tolls. Also the production isnt very good, but I wouldnt call it horrible. My drums sound worse than that. If James has a better voice in RTL, I would like it a lot more.

DimebagDarrell
04-18-2004, 07:16 AM
great album!

There isnt one song on RTL that i dont like. this album is alot of peoples fav metallica album [not mine] it is my 2nd fav album 1st is MOP

Crazyfingaz
06-10-2004, 08:02 PM
^^^^^ I agree 100%

mexicanfloydian
07-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Fight fire with fire is definitly one of the best songs here.
I dont like RTL ( the song) that much. I do like escape and trapped under ice.
I like call of ktulu more than orion.
And i give this album a 4/5 or 4.5/5 not sure

Justanothernimrod
07-03-2004, 06:02 AM
I picked this up for 7 quid last saturday, and it went straight to being one of my favourite albums. I think the vintage sound quality is pretty cool as it encourages the listener the blast it up!

I mya do a more detailed review in the near future.

AnimalKracker918
07-26-2004, 06:15 PM
I personally love this album, its right up there with Master Of Puppets and The black album .... and Ride The Lightning is such an AWESOME song!!!! good album overall :thumb: good review too :thumb:

incubliss
07-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Positives
- Very consistant album with its sound.

Negatives
- Horrible sound, which brings the albums stock down.

i don't understand this bit, at one point you are saying it's a good album because of the sound, then saying there is horrible sound with brings it down?

you could have put some more effort into the track by track analysis in my opinion, but still, a fairly average review.

4/5 for the album.

manuscriptreplica
07-27-2004, 05:45 AM
He means that the music is good, whilst the production isn't quite there. Anyone with half a brain could of figured that out...

DimebagDarrell
07-27-2004, 06:04 AM
He means that the music is good, whilst the production isn't quite there. Anyone with half a brain could of figured that out...

:lol:

The production isnt even that bad i wouldnt even call it a down point.

incubliss
07-27-2004, 07:10 AM
yeah, it's not even a bad point. and if he meant production, why didn't he say it. instead of using sound twice and confusing me.

manuscriptreplica
07-27-2004, 08:23 AM
I don't necassarily agree with him either that the production is bad. But to each his own.

RiceMonster
07-27-2004, 12:06 PM
i love all the songs on this album 5/5 (even escape and traped under ice)
i dont think the production is that bad, for an unknown reason i actually like it.

The Bronx Are Here
09-02-2004, 10:47 AM
To keep up with my record I might as well 'bump' this review as well. In my opinion, RTL is a **** good album. The Call Of Ktulu is undoubtedly the best Metallica solo out of Orion and To Live Is To Die. I ain't too fond of the title track however but the solo from Kirk is mint!

led_zep_luvr
09-02-2004, 10:53 AM
great review... what else must i say?

Iai
09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
To keep up with my record I might as well 'bump' this review as well.

Please never do this again.

superpeer
09-07-2004, 07:16 PM
The review was a tad short, considering this is one of my all time favourite albums. I'd give it a 5/5, it's a masterpiece to me.

darkrider399
09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Fade to Black and For Whom The Bell Tolls

jorgos
01-03-2005, 06:19 AM
i like evey song and i thuoght trapped under ice was very good