PDA

View Full Version : making voice higher

hobbesdj
12-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey people, ive been singing for a year to my cds trying to master the vocals, but about half to a third of the songs i listen to the vocals are too high pitched. My voice's ability to go higher (i believe this is range) has considerably improved, but thats over a long year or so. Is there any way to improve my voices range in a quicker way, or at least any other related tips? Thanks.

tgadrummer
12-25-2003, 04:54 PM
rather than using your cd's, use a piano or, if one is not available, a guitar. Start with middle C and work outwards in both directions, matching your voice to the pitches of the instrument, to the very limits of your range. Spend a little while on this each day and that should gradually increase your comfortable range.

kOffkOff
12-26-2003, 12:10 AM
Keep practising. I heard the vocal chords only mature in your late 20s to 30s, so you still have time.

Screamin_Demon_Auz
12-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Take lessons; I have been taking them for over 8 months now and have increased my range to almost 3 octaves. If you can't afford a teacher, get some books. Do some scales everyday. If your male, your voice won't be fully developed until the age of 39, but it's never to early or to late to begin; im only 14. My coaches book, "The Rock N Roll Singers Survival Manual" will help you a lot. Look it up on amazon. A book callled "The Complete Vocal Workout A Step-by-Step Guide to Tough Vocals" is a good book with mostly scales and 2 CD's with examples. If you just sing scales daily and work on head voice and falsetto, you'll eventually get to where you want to be vocally. Remember that ANYONE can have AT LEAST 2 solid octaves of range!!!!

Bryan Blakey
12-30-2003, 01:09 AM
Since I've started singing in my band I've gained at least an octave, and every practice it gets better. Having falsetto helps too for ridiculously high notes or backup vocals.

Gotta ask though, when I sing high notes (in one song I hit a high one quite a lot), my throat gets sore and it gets harder to hit the notes. Any tips to stop that?

jarviss
12-30-2003, 01:24 AM
is it too late for me to take singing lessons?

i sound like ****...no matter what i do
:upset:

im 33 years old and wish i could sing
-G

ToyDolls
12-30-2003, 02:22 AM
Ever try helium?

Smithers2003X
12-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Ever try helium?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Screamin_Demon_Auz
12-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Start vocal lessons, your really never too old to start.
Blakey, your pushing too much. Sing all of your high notes in falsetto for now. That'll help ease off the tension. Don't push at all though. That causes your vocal folds to swell, which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to hit high notes.

kOffkOff
01-01-2004, 09:27 AM
i've a question, do you folks count falsetto as part of your octave range?

toejam
01-01-2004, 09:32 AM

-G

Well Screamin_Demon_Auz did say that your vocals don't fully mature until age 39, so you have a few good years left. ;)

I was actually wondering this same question too about how to help your vocals. I think I'll try the piano technique someone mentioned earlier. Thanks.
(lessons really do help also but I'm tight on cash)

Screamin_Demon_Auz
01-01-2004, 12:23 PM
I use more falsetto then head voice so yeah I count it. If you work on it, you can get it just as strong as your chest and head voice, then you can use it for screaming, or singing like Axl Rose or someone.

Cujo Astra
01-01-2004, 12:31 PM
It's real simple and I'm sure these things have come down in price as well.. I was commenting this to another guy i jam with localy and I told him "you know how Rob Zombie and the rest of that lot can see like that? It's easy, you get yourself a Eventide Harmonizer... Then you can sing like Rob Halford all the way down to the lowest death/nu metal bands..

I find it extremely funny to see a real nerdy looking guy like Les Nesman aka WKRP or Alfred E Newman aka Mad mag and tell people that he sings in a ultra heavy metal band and have that voice to match.. Nobody is gonna believe him, but with that eventide, <sheehs> Just watch their jaws drop just like those in the Tex Avery cartoons.

so that's what you need a eventide or something like that. you might just go into shock..

But if you'r tring natural.. years of practice and a very natual ablity to do so and a very long shot at best.

italic zero
01-01-2004, 02:09 PM

-G

Sure Jarviss, natural talent is played up too much anyway, as you should know from guitar. I'm assuming you have a pretty good sense of pitch from guitar, so you need to work on breathing and tone. You could definitely improve with lessons, or even just doing excersises from a book. Besides, it's not like you're getting into pro football, it's singing!

italic zero
01-01-2004, 02:12 PM
i've a question, do you folks count falsetto as part of your octave range?

Generally it's not counted in your natural range. My singing teacher keeps canceling on me :angry: [/random]

thesinger_n_dj
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
i agree alot with Screamin_Demon_Auz, Singing the chromatic scale helps which is just like singing up from the "middle C" and going up the scale but instead of going up in "tones" you go up in semi-tones.

mike

luciferchrist
02-04-2005, 09:50 AM
A very good practice book is Vaccai's method. It covers all the intervals, semitones, and then goes into technique. :thumb:

Random tip for the thread starter. Are you trying to get higher or lower? Pay attention to your jaw when you are singing, that is, keep it low and free from tension. Practice the vowels individualy. A very good, and helpful exercise is to pick a single note, and do this:

Bra Bray Bree Bro Brooh

For the bra and bray keep your mouth about two fingers apart. For the bree it can be a little lower. For the Bro keep your lips rounded and slightly closed. For the Brooh keep your lips rounder than the bro, almost like a whistle. This is how your mouth posture should be anytime you sing these vowels. Make sure that when you do this exercise, you feel the notes coming from the same place. I cannot stress how much lessons will help. Try and find a good italian singing teacher, as the italians were right on point in singing method. :naughty: