PDA

View Full Version : (alt./Grunge) Dust For Life-Dust For Life

joshmilliken2001
12-18-2003, 12:41 AM
This is one of my favorite albums ever, from the opening distorted grungy riff of Dirt into Dust to Chris Gavins haunting vocals reminiscent of Layne Staley to the closing riff of the acoustic picking of The End the final track of this incredibly well written cd. There's not a bad song on this album, it was even up for a grammy a few years back. I give this cd a 4 1/2 star rating.
If you like Alice In Chains you will really enjoy this band who seemed to have progressed the early 90's sound beyond what their forefathers were able to do. And if you're one of those people who like to just hear a good lead guitar part you're not left out with this cd since over half of the songs contain either a lead or a solo one of my personal favorite leads on this cd is the one in Shadow Pool is just indescribably great. Stand out tracks include Step Into The Light, Seed, I Don't Mind, Bitten, Shadow Pool,and The End. The downfall of this band was signing to Wind-Up Records where they only real promotion they recived was being sent out on tour with Creed, and they still managed to have to singles and a grammy nomination out of it, so I guess real talent does rise above all obstacles. My recommendation, this is an album worth owning.

joshmilliken2001
12-20-2003, 06:03 PM
I didn't realize everyone had the track listings and musicians on their reviews so here they are.
1.Dirt Into Dust
2.Step Into The Light
3 Seed
4.Lifelike
5.Dragonfly
6.Poison
7.I Don't Mind
8.Bitten
9.Shadow Pool
10.Where The Freaks Go
11.The End
Musicians
Chris Gavin-Vocals/Guitar
Jason Hughes-Rhythm/Lead Guitar
David Rhea-Bass Guitar
Rick Shelton-Drums/Percussion/Background Vocals/Piano

This cd is from 2000 and on Wind-Up Records

YDload
12-20-2003, 07:38 PM
I always thought it was strange that a band's name rhymes with a song by Iggy Pop and the Stooges.

epifreak2002
12-24-2003, 12:31 AM
I'd probably say 3 to a 3 1/2. It's pretty good, but it sounds too much like AIC for its own good. Actually, I heard DFL before I heard AIC (long story; don't ask). Anyway, when I heard AIC on the radio, I thought DFL was releasing a new album.

joshmilliken2001
12-24-2003, 10:53 AM
They do sound a lot like them, but I don't like Alice In Chains all that much, and I really like Dust For Life, so it's all in who's songs do you like better. And at least someone else knows who I've been talking about for the last few years, I thought I was the only one who had even heard of them.

epifreak2002
12-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Actually, I thought I was the only one who had heard of them too. Did they break up because I haven't heard anything else from them.

joshmilliken2001
12-25-2003, 09:26 AM
No, they are still together, but I think they got a new bass playerr and drummer after Wind-Up dropped them from the label, so they're unsigned once again. They're too good of a band to stay unsigned so we'll hopefully hear from them again. It pisses me off that Wind-Ups only promotion for them was a couple ads in magazines and sending them on tour with Creed though, they had a top 20 hit with only that promotion, just imagine if they got the promotion of say Creed or Drowning pool or Evanescence, they would have had 6 singles off of that album, instead they only had Step Into The Light and Seed. And their website was run by Wind-Up so it's shut down because they aren't gonna run the site of a band not on their roster anymore, I can't really find anymore information about them around, the trail ran dead after I found out they were recording new songs and got kicked off the label.

joshmilliken2001
12-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Ok, Dust For Life's new website which I just found last night is located here http://www.dustforlifemusic.com/ I'm ordering the new cd tonight, I'm so happy I found their new site, I've been trying to find info on the for the last 8 months.

ATC
05-02-2004, 08:05 AM
they have a new ep out, called degrees of black. its pretty good. with the right promotion, these guys can still make it big.

interface
08-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Ok, Dust For Life's new website which I just found last night is located here http://www.dustforlifemusic.com/ I'm ordering the new cd tonight, I'm so happy I found their new site, I've been trying to find info on the for the last 8 months.

If you need info on Dust for Life, I am booking their upcoming tour. I would be happy to furnish you with whatever info you are needing.

Chris Bangs