PDA

View Full Version : (Pop-Punk) Box Car Racer - Self Titled

hybridofsound
12-15-2003, 02:30 AM
*Note: I swear i've seen a review for this before but search turned up nothing so please merge the threads if this has indeed been previously reviewed.

Artist: Box Car Racer
Album: Self Titled
Tom DeLonge - Vocals, Guitar
Travis Barker - Drums, Percussion
Anthony Celestino - Bass
David Kennedy - Guitar
Released: 2002 (MCA)
Favourite Songs:
Letters to God
There Is
The End With You

After Blink 182 released 'Take off your pants and Jacket' in 2001 Tom from Blink started writing some darker music along with Travis. The music was stuff Tom knew wouldn't work as Blink 182 so he wrote this album with Travis and recorded it originaly not planned to be released but when Tom had a change of heart he asked Anthony and David from the punk band 'Over My Dead Body' to join Boxcar on the road as touring players and so Box Car Racer was born. Tom wrote everything except for drums on this album. All the guitars, bass and vocals. It's essentially Blink 182 with a much more serious side and this has been critcally acclaimed. To the album.

I Feel So - This was the first single release from this album and I when I first saw the video I wasn't aware of BCR so it confused the shit out of me. The song opens with a piano intro before going into distorded guitars. You can tell of the lyrical advancement from Blink 182 and this song works well. Great way to open the album.

All Systems Go - Almost has a feel a bit like I Feel So to it in the song structure and sound sense but it's a good thing. It's a good song and of course the lyrics on this album are Toms very best of his career and this song is pretty well written. Has a good chorus to it aswell.

Watch The World - Now the album gets really different to Blink. Travis's drumming is top rate on this song as it always is. The verses are great and the chorus is fantastic. It's a melodic song and a welcome break from the first two songs.

Tiny Voices - The verse is my favourite part of this song. It's basic guitar wise (Though Tom has never been a Hendrix) it's the vocals which make the verses great along with Travis's drumming. The chorus litterally explodes and makes for a great chorus. The only downside is the middle bridge where it features the band talking. Doesn't work with the song. Otherwise fantastic song.

Cat Like Thief - This song is very reminiscent of All Of This off Blinks latest album though this came first. It's driven by Travis's drumming, main guitar is aucostic and it has a guest vocalist who sings during the verses with Tom singing the chorus. It's Tim Armstrong from Rancid the guest vocalist. It's definately an intresting song. It takes a while to get used to but turns out as a pretty good song.

And I - Travis opens the song with an awesome drum beat and the first guitar kicks in soon after. 27 seconds in and bang everything kicks in. This is a great song. Tom has great lyrics and the vocals are awesome and with Travis's drumming this becomes one of the albums most memorable.

Letters To God - 75% of this song is Tom with his guitar singing until the end when everything EXPLODES. This song is incredible. The lyrics are at the albums best, Toms voice is great and it's a beautiful song. It's about entry to heaven. When the distorded guitars and drums kick in at the end it leaves you breathless and it shows that this song is everything a great song should be.

My First Punk Song - Here's a minute and four seconds of pure fun. It's a bloody fast song and it's great. It's a real punk song but a joke at the same time. Quite an aburbt change from Letters To God.

Sorrow - It's a slow starting song and a more laid back song. It's pretty well written lyrically and it will probably at one point become your favourite song on the album for a while. The chorus is pretty good aswell as it really kicks in.

There Is - This is the albums second single and it's best song. If you've ever been in love you will understand this song. It's really one the best love songs ever written. The lyrics make this song stand out and Tom sings it perfectely. It shows great musicianship doesn't always make the song. It's the perfect song, with the great verses and a great chorus. Probably one of the best songs ever written by Tom.

The End With You - Of the harder edged songs on the album this is the best. It's fast paced and very well written. The lyrics are great and it flows well from There Is. The song packs two very impressive verses and a fantastic chorus. It pulls off as one of the strongest on the album.

Elevator - This song follows the formula of alot of other songs on this album. Open with drums bring in guitars then verse. It features Mark so sounds like a slow Blink song a bit. It's probably my least favourite song on the album however it's not bad at all.

Instrumental - A nice way to finish this side project. It's a good instrumental and Travis does some good drumming. Really ends the record well.

So overall this is a huge leap from Blink in terms of the maturity of the band after TOYPAJ. Tom writes some bloody good songs on this album and any Blink fan should definately give it a listen. There's no bad songs on this album and quite a few exceptional ones. Anyone who hates Blink might find some respect for Tom by listning to this album. The musicianship isn't much improvement over Blink 182 but Travis really does some exceptional drumming on this album. Check it out.

Rating: 4/5 :thumb:

manuscriptreplica
12-15-2003, 07:04 AM
good review

i personally feel travis is the only decent thing to come out of either blink 182 or boxcar racer, but thats only my opinion.; 2.5/5

Ganondorf
12-15-2003, 10:41 AM
good, but It's Tim Armstrong from Rancid doing vocals on Cat like Thief :thumb:

Mekkalayakay
12-15-2003, 03:23 PM
I used to be a big fan of pop-punk, but my tastes have changed. However, I still like this album for some reason. It is different than most other pop-punk albums I've heard.

4/5

hybridofsound
12-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks Gan. I originally had put Tim Armstrong there but on Msn soundlike albums it had Lars Fredrikson and I couldn't find the CD booklet so I went with Lars but i've edited it now.

sting-ray
12-15-2003, 04:29 PM
good album. I really like some of the songs. songs i like:

- letters to god
- watch the world
- and I

good overall album, its a keeper for all pop-punk fans.

3.5/5

HugheZe
12-17-2003, 12:05 PM
There Is......is the best song Tom has ever written.

si6664ever
03-17-2004, 10:40 AM
hmmm. . . not a fan of this one.

Nowhere near as good as blink. It's got a similar sound to blink's new album, but not quite as good.

Vaya
03-18-2004, 09:58 AM
good job my favorite song is the instrumental one

5/5

brycey
03-18-2004, 11:56 AM
It's a great album, and that was a great review. :thumb:

4/5

thedude182
03-18-2004, 06:03 PM
There Is......is the best song Tom has ever written.

I don't know...what about Stay Together For The Kids or Down (Tom and Mark don't tend to co-write...I happen to know Tom wrote those two). I'm not sure who wrote I Miss You (I have an incling it was Travis!) but that is **** well written too.

dougefresh
03-18-2004, 06:41 PM
I love BCR. I hope they do another cd. Nice review!

I give it a strong 4/5

evilfrosty2001
04-16-2004, 09:28 PM
yeah, I hope they do another cd. pretty amazing album 4.5/5

Griffin_Page
04-17-2004, 05:47 PM
After Blink 182 released 'Take off your pants and Jacket' in 2001 Tom from Blink started writing some darker music along with Travis.

I wouldn't call this or anything they ever write in the future dark. At all.

AcesRevenge707
04-17-2004, 07:52 PM
I love letters to god, my altime favorite song, and although a new BCR cd would rock they said they will make no more cds :(

Tamim
06-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Its a really really good album. I love most of the songs, except for Cat Like Thief. My favorites are There is (I've been listning to it ever since it came out, and still do), The End With You, Watch The World, Letters to God, and Elevator

4.5/5

Tamim
06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't call this or anything they ever write in the future dark. At all.
Not darker, but moody :D

clown_phobia
06-07-2004, 02:08 AM
box car racer nearly broke up blink 182!!!

InMyPlace
06-23-2004, 05:20 AM
Tom Delonge played the bass on the record, Anthony Celestino started playing in live shows:thumb:

axeslinga_32
06-23-2004, 06:28 AM
it's a good album, I'm a fan, and i don't even like blink. Trav is great on it, and the balinese xylaphone on instrumental owns

GoM
06-28-2004, 01:06 PM
These guys are the most 'emo' I get....;)

Punkass_Bassist
06-28-2004, 03:24 PM
box car racer nearly broke up blink 182!!!

i wish they did brake up blink-182...blink is my favorite band of altime...but if BCR wasnt just a side project...they could easily take most if not all of blinks fans...and even more with there seriousness.

I give the album an easy 5/5

i liked all of the songs on the CD...but my favs are: And I, Letters to god, There is, Elevator.

Im_A_Ninja
06-28-2004, 06:37 PM
I love this album, IMHO Box Car Racer is alot better The Blink-182, I don't like at Blink-182 at all, the songs all suck, ha. Some of Box Car Racer's make me cry, well I'm just a typical emo kid, :p anyways great album.

Ian Carter
06-29-2004, 04:09 AM
i really like that band. especially the drummer. hes very fast.

here are some sites about him.

www.travisbarker.com
www.blink182.com
www.drummers.com/travis.html

thanx

The Easter Bunny
06-30-2004, 02:08 AM
that review sucks like a hoover. i mean, it was tottally wrong a stupid and i think you must be a flaming homosexual. i've seen better reviews from blind one armed kids with down syndrome.

just_another_song_about_a_girl
07-04-2004, 08:05 PM
ok this album gets boring after you listen the firstt few times

just_another_song_about_a_girl
07-04-2004, 08:06 PM
this album was pretty good with their hit songs like their is and i and i feel so but i think the new blink album sounds just like it :upset:

BondageBoyo666
07-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Granted I'm more of a metal kid but this stuff is some of the best emo I've ever heard. Though i sort of miss blinks old spunk and krazy attitude i think this cd and their newest blink album are good. Elevator rocks hardcore and i give the ablum 4/5 easy.

metallicamaniac16
07-29-2004, 07:56 PM
I bought this piece of sh*t of a cd back when I was big into pop-punk. I was a huge fan of Blink 182, so I thought this would be good... I couldn't have been more wrong. The only really good songs are I Feel So, Letters to God, and There Is. And I is okay. Otherwise, this cd sucks the fat one. If you want to listen to Tom Delonge whine about everything, then this cd is for you. Tom and Travis should stick to Blink. This cd gets a deserving 2/5.

dancetomdance182
08-15-2004, 07:41 PM
i really like the album

Iai
08-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I love letters to god, my altime favorite song, and although a new BCR cd would rock they said they will make no more cds :(

Good news for you! Blink-182 broke up, and Box Car Racer decided to change their name to Blink-182 and release a self-titled album. Looks like they lied.

Horace
11-29-2004, 05:58 AM
Boxcar Racer is actually one of my favorite albums in history. I'd really give it a 5/5. :thumb:

ClayTheJ
12-09-2004, 06:02 PM
that review sucks like a hoover. i mean, it was tottally wrong a stupid and i think you must be a flaming homosexual. i've seen better reviews from blind one armed kids with down syndrome.
I find your post funny, but completely retarded considering because:
1.) This is a good review
2.) You have 2 posts
3.) I would like to see a retarded kid make a better review