PDA

View Full Version : (Punk/Pop-Punk) The Offspring - Splinter

BuddyBigsby
12-04-2003, 09:00 PM
The Offspring are back with their 7th opus, Splinter. The Offspring have been through a lot in the past year, from the departure of longtime drummer Ron Welty to a short-lived battle with Guns N' Roses after the Offspring originally announced their new CD to be titled Chinese Democracy: You Snooze You Lose in response to GnR's delaying of their new album Chinese Democracy's release for the past couple years. Needless to say, my loins were quivering in anticipation for this CD. So when I heard the atrocious first single from the album, "Hit That", several weeks ago, it seemed like all hope was lost. Luckily, The Offspring have instead slammed out some of their best songs since 1997's Ixnay on the Hombre.

The first song on Splinter, "The Noose", is a furious punk track with an incredibly catchy chorus that sounds like it could have been ripped right off their 1994 masterpiece, Smash. "Long Way Home" is chalk-full of sing-alongs and chants you might expect to find on a classic AFI or Bad Religion disc, which basically summarizes the sound of the punk portion of the Splinter. However, the most surprising track on the album goes to the final song, "Da Hui". The aforementioned song, which clocks in at 1:42, is one of those songs that throws you out your second story window and makes you proclaim, "Man, that rocked". The final track is not by the Offspring, but a hilarious 20's styled song titled "When You're In Prison". I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that one.

Sadly, Splinter has several weaknesses, which keep it from achieving it's full potential. Firstly, there are three songs which compose what I like to refer to as the unholy trinity: "Hit That", "Spare me the Details", and "The Worst Hangover Ever", the latter of which (instrumentally) sounds like the kind of garbage No Doubt would put out nowadays. Besides the fact that these songs or overly poppy, they feature lyrics that could've been written by a 7th grade dropout. Additionally, I was slightly disappointed by the drums on Splinter, which were handled by the mighty Josh Freese. For the uninitiated, Freese is a full-time member for A Perfect Circle and The Vandals as well as one of the biggest session drummers in the industry, and has played on albums by Guns and Roses, Evanescence, Rob Zombie, Unwritten Law, Suicidal Tendencies, and Static-X, as well as many, many others. This is not to say that Freese doesn't get the job done, because he does. But the album lacks drum fills or anything else out of the ordinary, with the exception of the mighty "Da Hui".

Furthermore, there are only 10 actual songs on the CD. Subtract the unholy trinity, and we're down to 7. That's an EP people! It is for this reason that I cannot bring myself to give Splinter a high rating. The fact that there are only 7 good (albeit being very good) songs out of 12 tracks brings this CD down greatly. Perhaps if the band had spent more time writing, Splinter would have absolutely slaughtered their past two albums, Americana and Conspiracy of One. But as a result, Splinter feels way too incomplete.

Favorite Tracks: "The Noose", "Race Against Myself", "Da Hui"

Overall Rating: 6.5/10 (Because I feel the scale of 5 is far to restricting)

RockerGav
12-06-2003, 02:57 PM
MY REVIEW

The Offspring are:

Dexter Holland: Lead Vocals, Guitar
Greg K.: Bass
Noodles: Guitar, Backing Vocals

Josh Freese played drums on the album.

After the signing to Columbia, The Offspring released 2 more poppy records than their previous works, losing some of the punk edge and a fair few fans as well. They had a lot to prove to their fans with Splinter, is it better than the other 2 Columbia releases?

Well, in a word, yes.

The music is faster and the guitars are heavier than the previous 2, and the lyrics are as good as usual. Noodles plays more guitar solos than usual on this record.

The "pop song" of Splinter (like Pretty Fly and Original Prankster) is Hit That. IMO, its actually a good song, if it weren't for the techno/keyboards in the background. It has an infectious chorus that sticks in your head for ages, itsa bit of a guilty pleasure, if everyone else likes it, you won't want to admit to liking it but it is very hard not to.

"Spare Me The Details" is IMO a great song. Its acoustic, and it's done well, with entertaining lyrics and good guitar parts. I can see why Offspring fans might not like it, after all, its not whats expected.

"Worst Hangover Ever" is a decent ska song. Decent lyrics, not good, not bad, not hateable, but VERY skippable. "Prison Song" is hilarious. Worth a listen or two.

On to the "real" Offspring tracks on the album: The Noose and Race Against Myself are two good songs, heavy, hard, the latter is quite slow paced, typical powerchord riffing, its what you expect from the Offspring.

Long Way Home continues the punk with a great chorus and even a guitar solo, and DA Hui is fast, energetic, kicks you in the teeth and knicks your wallet before you know what hit you.

However, for me, the best tracks are Can't Get My Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod. All 3 are fast, hard, and heavy, buy this album even just for these 3.

So, its better than Conspiracy, is a lot like Americana only heavier, the best of the Columbia albums. But its still no Ixnay, and its too damn short.

4 out of 5

brycey
01-11-2004, 10:05 AM
i ought to hit you threadstarter, i give this album 9/10

i wouldve given it 8, but the lyrics to "when you're in prison" made the mark go up.

great reviews guys.

Rashka
01-11-2004, 10:18 AM
i liked gav's review more...
just my opinion:

best tracks:

worst hangover ever
da hui (the video)
race against myself

rating:
8/10

brycey
01-11-2004, 10:45 AM
being honest, and un-biased, i prefered gav's review too.

BuddyBigsby
01-12-2004, 08:39 PM
I see how it is! :upset:

br3ad_man
01-13-2004, 04:09 AM
^^ awwww :(

dans107
01-13-2004, 08:58 AM
I got Splinter for Christmas, and it took me 2 weeks to get round to listening to it - I'm glad I finally did.

It's a great album.

It's not too long that you get bored of listening to it, yet not too short that you feel you've got nothing for your money.

"Hit That" has that certain 'Sonic the Hedgehog' thing going on in the background, no? :lol:.

But yeah, "The Noose" and "Race Against Myself" are superb songs, and "The Worst Hangover Ever" just fills me with energy. Saying that, all the songs are, at the least, 'good'. Even the last song, the lyrics are hilarious :lol:.

Dan

Deryck
01-13-2004, 09:20 AM
not their best CD....
like a few songs but i guess it could be better....
Note: 7/10

brycey
01-13-2004, 10:47 AM
splinter = great album

buddybigsby don't cry now, i'll make it up to you. :naughty:

spoon_of_grimbo
02-13-2004, 12:06 PM
i agree with brycey, 9 outta 10!!! i got it at christmas and listened to it all the way through straight away. good stuff

Punk Guy
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Huge offspring fan, i love their songs and their style.
This album wasn't bad, i expected more but hey its still awesome.
I wish it was a lil longer, considering it's like 25 mins.
Race against myself, great song along with the noose.
Hit that ha pretty good.
when your in prison, sounds like an old portuguese song, the way the guy he sounds and all.
all in all great offspring album

8/10

NoHero9
02-23-2004, 09:07 AM
yes, short, very short.

awesome, nonetheless

Left Face Down
04-29-2004, 09:27 PM
IMO 9/10

But I'm a die-hard fan of The Offspring... they're the reason I wanted to play guitar... and most of the songs I know that I actually play every day are theirs.... plus the concert last night rocked ***.... hehehehe.... Splinter IMO is fighting their S/T album for 3rd in my order of best Offspring album... with Ixnay still at #1 and Ignition at #2....

I liked the second review better... it just fit better to the way I actually felt...

Left Face Down
04-29-2004, 09:35 PM
IMO 9/10

But I'm a die-hard fan of The Offspring... they're the reason I wanted to play guitar... and most of the songs I know that I actually play every day are theirs.... plus the concert last night rocked ***.... hehehehe.... Splinter IMO is fighting their S/T album for 3rd in my order of best Offspring album... with Ixnay still at #1 and Ignition at #2....

I liked the second review better... it just fit better to the way I actually felt...

BuddyBigsby
04-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Rrrr.

So it would seem you've won this round RockerGav.

jversluis88
05-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I've listened to it once. And usually it takes me atleast a few listens to make my judgement. I'll probably listen to it tonight again. I've never been disappointed with an Offspring album, though.

mirrorwave
07-09-2004, 09:22 AM
ok
1. Spare me the details rox, best song on album.
2. Da hui??!! wtf?? totally sux waste of space on the album not like they needed the space as the album was so short anyway.

Finally i prefer consipracy and americarna to this album, infact i rate it as the worst offspring album to date, but still worth a listen. Plu is it me or do bryceys views suck?? probaly me but ah well.

brycey
07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
"Da Hui" is a great track on the album, because it proves they can still write and perform fast punk songs.

theclash91
07-09-2004, 01:42 PM
some songs are good i'd give it a 7/10

RoaRing_Roach
07-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey Bigsby
I liked your thread cause you mentioned something worth a consideration.The fact the The Offspring have slightly changed their style since they signed for Columbia and indeed Splinter was meant to prove the opposite.But that's all with you BuddyBigsby!I will stick with the second review cause it represents me.

MY POINTS
*The drumming of Josh Freese(though a master in the drum world) didn't appeal to me.Ron's touch in such nice punk songs was missing
*Irritatingly short.Because I like it a lot I can't take a deep breathe and the incredibly atrocious "When you are in prison" comes...
*fave songs:Noose,Race against myself,Lighting rod
*8.5/10

RoaRing_Roach
07-09-2004, 05:44 PM
oh I forgot! Splinter is an answer to those in the pop-punk forum that consider the Offspring as pop-punk-**** you! http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201914

Tharwolf
07-09-2004, 11:34 PM
i thought it was a pretty rad album and give major cred for showing variety. offspring was one of the bands that got me into punk ever since i heard self esteem. like there's the acoustic spare me the details (which is only like 4 chords) but the second guitar is so fun and the lyrics that that fact doesn't bother me at all. it's a great song. and worst hangover ever is a great ska song, even better than what some ska bands (::cough:: catch 22 ::cough::) have been doing with their whole carriers. i like the synth in hit that but it's definitely not one of their best songs let alone not one of their best singles. dui hui is great cause it shows that the still have that strength and speed that was in "all i want" and other great songs. the album was short though. but now there's definitely enough songs to make a "least worst of the offspring" c.d.

SubtleDagger
07-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Why has no one mentioned the following:

"Can't Get My Head Around You" is EXACTLY the same as "Gotta Get Away"! You could probably play them together and they'd sound the same. It irritates the hell out of me.

Not to mention that "Hit That" is a horrible, unfunny song that doesn't do anything interesting.

mirrorwave
07-12-2004, 07:21 AM
WTF??!! GGA and CGMHAU r totally different, I used to play both of those songs live with my old band and they aren't anythin like eachother a##hole

meeeeeeeeeeeeee (returned)
07-12-2004, 08:48 AM
hmmmm, I personally don't think this is their greatest album or anywhere near close, now sure it is not a bad album, but i think all of their previouse releases that iv heard (everything but the first two) surpass it. However, I still think The Offspring are the best (and probably only good) band of the pop-punk genre with their ability to write catchy songs and produce good variety filled albums that still contain hard/aggresive riffs (plus good lyrics, something that is not seen much in pop-punk songs, gowd darm i wanna be sick if i hear another song about girls and love). Although this is in my opinion not a especially good offspring album, i saw the guys play live a few weeks ago and it was one of the most fun shows Iv been to they played the best set-list spanning almost all of their career, great band

SubtleDagger
07-12-2004, 09:21 AM
WTF??!! GGA and CGMHAU r totally different, I used to play both of those songs live with my old band and they aren't anythin like eachother a##hole
I don't know if you're stupid or just high, but aside from the little studio-shine sections, "Can't Get My Head Around You" is the exact same structure as "Gotta Get Away". It's ripped right from it.

my5thname
08-01-2004, 05:08 PM
UH....The worst hangover is the best song on the albulm...the rest is just unoriginal power chords all over the place.

Four Mullets Deep
08-11-2004, 03:23 AM
That Freese Drummer guy has the sweetest drum solo i have ever heard on The Long Way Home. On race Against Myself, it's so driving and has such a cool groove, you just unconsciously find yourself bobbing your head up and down...who's with me? There are lots of joke songs on this album. i mean, there's no way any of you guys can take the worst hangover ever seriously. Or da hui. or the prision one....that was freakin awesome.

NOFXROCKER
08-11-2004, 08:42 AM
if ya wanna swear go like this s w e [ c o l o r = w h i t e ] a r [ / C O L O R ]take out spaces it says swear so you can say fuck as much as you fuckin want to! :lol: :lol:

weasel8904
08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
if ya wanna swear go like this s w e [ c o l o r = w h i t e ] a r [ / C O L O R ]take out spaces it says swear so you can say fuck as much as you fuckin want to! :lol: :lol:

is that how you fucking do it?

weasel8904
08-11-2004, 11:57 AM
but anyways, for my review of Splinter....

Splinter is the Offsprings 7th album, and I am not dissapointed. While there are songs such as Worst Hangover Ever which just suck, but are yet funny for a couple listens, the majority of the album is quality work. My personal favorites are The Noose, Race Against Myself, Cant Get My Head Around You, and Da Hui. Those tracks are enough to make me buy the album again, and when you throw in the not great, but still good songs such as Hit That, Spare Me the Details, and Lightning Rod, you have yourself a good CD.

All in all, i give it an 8.5/10 for being a little on the short side.

BuddyBigsby
08-11-2004, 01:25 PM
This thread has proven to me how outspoken I am on this album. Death to you all!

Griffin
08-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Conspiracy of One was their best album so I couldn't wait till this one. Unfortunatly...

6.5/10 It sounds like it should be the Offspring's second album, like they're still trying to find a sound. I expected more out of these aged rockers.

rather_be_dead3
08-11-2004, 03:17 PM

shut up

loonylarny
08-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Conspiracy of One was their best album so I couldn't wait till this one. Unfortunatly...

6.5/10 It sounds like it should be the Offspring's second album, like they're still trying to find a sound. I expected more out of these aged rockers.
There is no way in hell that Conspiracy was their best album.

Kiedisfan69
08-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Bad review, bad album.

BuddyBigsby
08-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Bad review, bad album.

Write a better one.

SubtleDagger
08-12-2004, 06:57 AM
Bigsby's review was better. Except for the fact that all his quotation marks are question marks as far as I can see.

How people can continue to suck off this band is beyond me. They're not even amusing anymore. The fact that they're trying to return to where they once were just proves they've lost their touch. And it's pretty clear they're ripping themselves off with "Can't Get My Head Around You". I seriously heard the chorus and thought that "Gotta Get Away" shouldn't be covered by the band that originally played it.

god_of_nothing
08-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Bad review, bad album.
the reviews r all gd an the album is wickd.yer they av eva done better but its still a wickd album with some amazin songs.if u think da review is so bad y dont u do wot buddybigsby said an write a better 1!!!!! OFFSPRING ROCK!!!!!!!!! soz i just thought i would say that

Kiedisfan69
08-12-2004, 01:11 PM
the reviews r all gd an the album is wickd.yer they av eva done better but its still a wickd album with some amazin songs.if u think da review is so bad y dont u do wot buddybigsby said an write a better 1!!!!! OFFSPRING ROCK!!!!!!!!! soz i just thought i would say that

The album was the worst Offspring album and I was not impressed. Yeah I agree that Offspring Rocks, but this album was a big disappointment, IMO. I thought the review was bad ONLY because there was not a description of each track like all the good reviews should have. buddybigsby, I'm sorry I said your review was bad, I guess I just didn't like it as well as other reviews I've seen. I don't have to "write a better one" because I have my rights and I'll admit, I probably couldn't do a decent review on this album anyway because I hated it so much that I could only bear one listen. I shouldn't have said what I said earlier but god_of_nothing, you can't tell me what to do, stop trying to make instant friends by posting like you did up there. You don't have to agree with everybody on here that has at least 3,000 posts.

BuddyBigsby
08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Ah, so you're a track-by-track kinda guy. I am not. I can see where you're coming from, it's cool.

BuddyBigsby
08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Bigsby's review was better. Except for the fact that all his quotation marks are question marks as far as I can see.

I have no idea why that happened. It was fine when I originally posted it up. In any case, I just cleaned it up. Put in quotation marks, Italicized things, and indented the paragraphs for easier reading.

cbmartinez
08-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Conspiracy of One was their best album so I couldn't wait till this one.

Are you kidding? Conspiracy of One is the worst album I've ever bought.

Kiedisfan69
08-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Ah, so you're a track-by-track kinda guy. I am not. I can see where you're coming from, it's cool.

Actually, track-by-track kinda girl. But it's all good.

BuddyBigsby
08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Haha, sorry.

gh0s7drummerr
08-12-2004, 02:18 PM
i think this album sucks!

god_of_nothing
08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
The album was the worst Offspring album and I was not impressed. Yeah I agree that Offspring Rocks, but this album was a big disappointment, IMO. I thought the review was bad ONLY because there was not a description of each track like all the good reviews should have. buddybigsby, I'm sorry I said your review was bad, I guess I just didn't like it as well as other reviews I've seen. I don't have to "write a better one" because I have my rights and I'll admit, I probably couldn't do a decent review on this album anyway because I hated it so much that I could only bear one listen. I shouldn't have said what I said earlier but god_of_nothing, you can't tell me what to do, stop trying to make instant friends by posting like you did up there. You don't have to agree with everybody on here that has at least 3,000 posts.

Your right,i cant tell you what to do and your right about instant friends thing.im sorry

firstact_1
08-16-2004, 11:50 AM
good review the noose is falling is the best song on there in my opinion

god_of_nothing
08-16-2004, 12:03 PM
The noose is a wicked song but i think cant get my head around you is the best (well it's got a wickd video an the wah solo is realy funky :D lol so wot more could you ask for? oh and the lyrics are really cool aswell so all i can say is :thumb: )

skatrpunk
08-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Huge offspring fan, i love their songs and their style.
This album wasn't bad, i expected more but hey its still awesome.
I wish it was a lil longer, considering it's like 25 mins.
Race against myself, great song along with the noose.
Hit that ha pretty good.
when your in prison, sounds like an old portuguese song, the way the guy he sounds and all.
all in all great offspring album

8/10
i agree with you.If youre listening to the radio and you hear a song youve never heard before you can always tell its noodles guitar playing.he has a great style.as for this album its too short.i got sick of it in a couple days.it is a great album but way too short.my favorite songs are worst hangover cant get my head around you and spare me the details.i give the same rating.
8 outta 10

jazzalto1
08-20-2004, 12:26 AM
This album isn't as good as some of their previous albums. I was somewhat dissappointed.

nick-offspring
09-16-2004, 08:51 AM
I may be terribly biased but i know my stuff when it comes to comparing and rating this band, the 7th album of The Offspring like their transition to a major label met with delay, this time the naming fued was responsible, along with the tradgic loss of ron welty.Did the band even make a press release about it? i was dissappointed, i fear they were told not to and instead promoted this new guy like he is a god to comb it over, IMO ron welty is un-replacable, im not talking about talent, more that you cant take a flavour from a mixture and not notice a different feel, this is whats happened, new drumming, new sound. The sound is deeper, denser, the guitars have a metalish reverb across all the harder songs, i dont really like it, but when i hear those vocals it strikes me like lightning that its the offspring and i cant help feel the vibe catching on, somehow vocally he manages to stretch further with each album, but i feel those alternate songs were really poorly composed vocally " worst hangover ever " , and " spare me the details ", like it or not The Offspring arent a band who have full create control, they arent an on the side band that can get away with a commercial flop, hence they must play along and re-invent. Dexter is by far and away the best singer punk has ever seen. " Splinter " gets a 7 for me, Smash 10, all other albums 9

BuddyBigsby
09-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Good observations Nick. I miss Ron :(

Sep
09-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Buddy likes The Offspring?
I thought the album was alright. It contains some VERY good songs like The Noose, Head Around You and Spare Me The Details. By the way, has anyone here seen the video 'the making off Splinter'? You can get it on www.offspring.com, near the end a slower song's playing which sounds really awesome. I think it was supposed to be called 'Pass Me By' or something? I've heard it was supposed to be on some sort of complication. Can anyone give me any more info on this?

BuddyBigsby
09-16-2004, 03:48 PM
I like me some Offspring. Mainly the older stuff, but I like select songs off the past 3.

Sep
09-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah, same here. My favorite album is Ignition, every song on there rocks. It seems like the perfect blend between their harder self titled and the more poppier Smash.

Jiezeru
09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
This album 7/10
Ixnay(the best be miles) 10/10

BuddyBigsby
09-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Smash >>>>>>>> Ixnay