06: Mind The G.A.T.T.
07: You Can Kill The Protester, But You Can't Kill The Protest
08: When You Don't Control Your Government People Want To Kill You
09: Wake Up
10: Tearing Down The Borders
11: Death Of A Nation
12: Operation Iraqi Liberal (O.I.L.)
13: One People, One Struggle

After checking out the Fat Wreck Chords site, I came across a band that I'd heard of, but never heard their music. I decided to change that. After hearing 3 songs, I bought this CD on the double. It's simply that good. The lyrics are expressive, the music varies from song to song but still keeps the punk standard and this CD conveys one simple message; Our government sucks!

TURNCOAT (8/10):
After a nice acoustic intro, this song goes straight into it. The verses are catchy with the even lines simply saying "We don't want lies we want the truth!" A great song to introduce this CD, but nevertheless not the best.

RANK-N-FILE (7/10):
It has to be said that this is a more poppier song. The way it is sung, the music they play. But it is still a good song. Nice to listen to after Turncoat as it's still quite mellow at the moment.

POST-WAR BREAKOUT (9/10):
I love this song. This is a kinda hardcore ska song I guess. No horns though, but very ska like music. And the verses are so simple (I'm a post-war breakout/And a post-war breakdown/I'm a post-war syndrome/And a post-war hero) but work so well. This is the last mellow song on this album you'll hear for a while...

SOLD AS FREEDOM (7/10):
Now it's getting heavier. The verses are well done, with Nate singing the main line and the whole band shouting it afterwards. The choruses talk a lot about fire which conveys a good image of the world today. The bridge is pretty good too, but there are better songs on the album.

POWER TO THE PEACEFUL (8/10):
One of my favourite songs. An almost Green Day intro with the drumbeats, then guitar. The riffs are simple but heavy and distorted. Then the leadup to the chorus (This voice is calling in the wind...) is very powerful and works so well for the song. This is also one of the only AF songs with a solo and it fits so well for the song.

MIND THE G.A.T.T. (6/10):
This isn't one of the best songs at all. Not to say it isn't good, it could just be better. It is very light and not musically that good either. This is one of those songs on the album which you always forget and eventually end up skipping everytime you listen to the album. Enough said!

YOU CAN KILL THE PROTESTER, BUT YOU CAN'T KILL THE PROTEST (7/10):
Straight after the "not so good" song and with an extraordinarily long title, this isn't as good as expected either. It is a good song, just not one to remember. The chorus is very expressive however and the outro is something to redeem the song from getting a 6.

WHEN YOU DON'T CONTROL YOUR GOVERNMENT PEOPLE WANT TO KILL YOU (6/10):
Another long title, another long wait for another descent song. The first verse is so plain and boring, but the chorus and afterwards aren't bad. Good music throughout I guess.

WAKE UP (7/10):
This is a pretty cool song once you listen to it a few times. The chorus (simply "Wake up, wake up, to the world around you") is done well with different drumbeats and amount of strums each time with the same music. It is a cool song I guess, but it is very basic and not what I'd expect from Anti-Flag.

TEARING DOWN THE BORDERS (9/10):
****ing amazing song! The intro may seem a lot like Sold As Freedom but this song is so much better. From the intro scream to the fast outro this is one hell of a ride. The verses are so quiet, then it hits into the pre-chorus and chorus. The bridge is so good as well, both lyrically and musically. My favourite track on the album and I expect a lot of other peoples too

DEATH OF A NATION (9/10):
Probably my second favourite, this hits straight into the band screaming "WHEN ALL YOU NEEDED" and then Nate starts singing the verses. This is probably the heaviest song on the album and one of the best. The chorus is again simple but effective (Say your prayers/For the death of a nation/Say your prayers/For the dead generation) and this song should defiantly be checked out.

OPERATION IRAQI LIBERAL (O.I.L.) (8/10):
This is a pretty cool song. A pretty plain song but after 2 amazing songs from this album, it still carries the energy and message from them. I wouldn't listen to this over and over like the last two, but it certainly is a cool song.

ONE PEOPLE, ONE STRUGGLE (9/10):
Ending on a simply amazing song. The intro again is the band shouting "The people, united, will never be defeated" and that is heard throughout the song. This song spreads an important message and has great lyrics and amazing riffs to get it out. A perfect way to end this monster of an album

So if this is the first time you've picked up an Anti-Flag album you won't be disappointed. Great punk sounds all the way through, meaningful lyrics and catchy riffs. If you are a AF fan, this is slightly less heavy than older albums like Mobilize and Underground Network but I think all punk lovers will like this.

4/5

Luxor
11-29-2003, 08:16 AM
Ok so they're still whiney politicol bitches I take it....

I'll get into there music once they make a song about something a little different for once.

Kif
11-29-2003, 08:17 AM
Yeah this is my first AF cd and I loved it.

Hey Mr. Light Man
11-29-2003, 08:34 AM
Yes, this is a great CD.

Ganondorf
11-29-2003, 09:37 AM
It's a great CD.

And it's funny how IhateUsernames suddenly decided to act hXc :lol:

Luxor
11-29-2003, 09:40 AM
What do you mean by that.:evil:

I've always been hardcore.

Ganondorf
11-29-2003, 10:36 AM
true, hXc punX unitE1!!1!!

Kif
11-29-2003, 12:09 PM
What the fuck is this hXc punX unitE1!!1!! thing? I've been here for like 6 months and I still have no idea what it is!

creepingdeath328
11-29-2003, 06:39 PM
ummm.....unless they've changed the band lineup, there isnt anyone named nate in the band. im not trying to come off as a jerk or anything, just thought id let you know. the lineup (as i recall) is:

justin sane- vocals, guitar
chris head- lead guitar
chris #2- bass, backing vocals
pat thetic- drums

Kif
11-30-2003, 08:06 AM
Is it. ****

VOLCOM093
12-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by cky2kendall_version2
Yeah this is my first AF cd and I loved it.

if u like the terror state, go out and get A New Kind Of Army. ten times better than terror state eventhough it's different.

[UEAK]Clowd
01-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah who's Nate lol

smokeinfected
01-31-2004, 12:15 AM
lolz, my names nate.. :p
This is a great cd, I got it just a few days ago and already started to tab it. They'd probably be my favourite punk band. It's interesting to know they've been around since 1987.. yet they're all 19?? Anyways, this CD has yet basically all they've been talking about before, so nothing really new, all having to do with government, but I actually take it to be humorous. As in some of the songs, the lyrics talk about the U.S.A government, and seeing how I'm Canadian. ;)

VoteNoOnBush04
02-01-2004, 02:13 PM
the cd is good...the message sucks, not because their supposidly "anti-government" but because they contradict everything they say. i mean "screw the government" yet inside my cd they had a "vote no on bush" flyer thing. which was great, but i think they're full of it. it's well played, but their messages are screwed, they can't make up their mind. they're on a record label they're corporate now. justin sane's dad payed for their first ep, yet they made a song called "kill the rich," that's messed up.

Vaya
02-01-2004, 02:28 PM
new kind of army is the best AF cd ever

The Raz
02-02-2004, 05:54 PM
I've got a funny story regarding Anti-Flag. I actually got acquantated with them early September, I saw their name on some MSN group, and I decided to burn off their first album "Die For Your Government". I really enjoyed the CD, so I checked out their website and suddenly, this band I just started listening to, is putting out a new CD in a month! It was quite amusing. Anyways, I enjoyed "The Terror State", and even though their song themes have stuck to one subject (unlike their first album, Drink Drank Punk anyone?), their music still has a great message and a great feel. And they're awesome live!

Favourite Songs:
Turncoat
Post-Wear Breakout
Mind The G.A.T.T.

-The Raz

YDload
02-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I guess they have a good message (stand up and be a real American!), but they're not very good at conveying it. I couldn't understand the lyrics to "Turncoat" when I heard it on the radio, and I was convinced that it was just another pop-punk song.

pixiesfanyo
02-03-2004, 04:56 PM
i just like to think of anti-flag as a one hit wonder..cuz "die for the goverment" was their best album...even if it's very contradicting..andy flag was just a genius..

kill the swindle
02-06-2004, 03:02 PM
thanks for not calling it 'punk' in the title.

Drunk Hobo
02-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I prefer Justin Sane's solo stuff.

PunkinDonuts
02-06-2004, 06:09 PM
I got this cd for free, when I burned my friend an AFI cd. He gave me the actually copy of it, and said "ehh Its not the Best Anti-Flag cd" I went and put it on my stereo, and was blown away! Anti-Flag is now my favorite punk band, and I have to get all their other cds!

And wats this about them being 19, but they've been in a band since 1987???!

rancidpunk
02-06-2004, 10:38 PM
good review helped alot i think ill go get it now thanks :thumb:

Pennywise_punks
02-07-2004, 09:07 PM

I'll get into there music once they make a song about something a little different for once.

U suck, anti-flag's message is really good, and Mind the Gatt is a sweet song

jacksloadedgun
02-09-2004, 03:40 PM
i prefer the older stuff but i do like this cd

EvIL_ToASTER_OVEN
02-09-2004, 04:27 PM
correct me if in wrong but, anti-flag arent pop punk.... they are punk, pop punk is like good charlotte and blink 182 isnt it? they do sound a bit poppy at times musicly but the lyrics are punk, if awful, but they sound punk to me.

kill the swindle
02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
U suck, anti-flag's message is really good, and Mind the Gatt is a sweet song
anti flags message is no better then any of the real political punk bands, it doesnt even come close. so i guess "U suck".

AnarchyForSale_DK
02-12-2004, 06:09 PM
The Terror State is the worst album that Anti-Flag has ever put out. They follow the same formula for so many of the songs, and it can be seen on their other recent cds: a catchy little guitar part (possibly with drums) is in the beggining, then justin shouts "YEAH" or HEY!". Furthermore, The Terror State is only filled by the repeticious preaching of Justin, he hasnt said anything new, he's striving to find more opinions but they come out the same. And they talk about Bush alot, and it wont even matter in a year, cuz he wont be here (i hope). the Terror State = 1/5

Their System Doesnt Work For You is my favorite album by them, it has Andy Flag (not that i dont like #2, it just seems they went downhill once he was added), and there are alot of songs with edge to it, buy that instead

Kif
02-13-2004, 05:34 PM
I guess they have a good message (stand up and be a real American!), but they're not very good at conveying it. I couldn't understand the lyrics to "Turncoat" when I heard it on the radio, and I was convinced that it was just another pop-punk song.

A lot of the songs are explained deeper in the CD booklet, like Turncoat. Makes you think about how far they will go to make people see what they believe in.

Kif
02-13-2004, 05:37 PM
correct me if in wrong but, anti-flag arent pop punk.... they are punk, pop punk is like good charlotte and blink 182 isnt it? they do sound a bit poppy at times musicly but the lyrics are punk, if awful, but they sound punk to me.

Pop punk is punk with a slightly poppier sound. I hate it when people say pop punk and instantly think of GC crap and Blink 182 (I do like them a lot though). To me their album is pop punk, but you can class it how you want. Pop punk, Punk, it doesn't change the way this album sounds.

NewKindofArmy03
02-14-2004, 02:54 PM
this is a good cd, not their best, but good. i like how chris #2 sings a lot more cuz i like his songs a lot. it'd be cool if they did a cd with the sound of die for your government, but i doubt it. in my opinion the best tracks on here are sold as freedom, death of a nation, and operation iraqi liberation. i give it a 4/5

maimedpunkguy
05-01-2004, 02:56 PM
i dont know...theyre old cds have alot more great songs

maimedpunkguy
05-01-2004, 02:57 PM
this is a good cd, not their best, but good. i like how chris #2 sings a lot more cuz i like his songs a lot. it'd be cool if they did a cd with the sound of die for your government, but i doubt it. in my opinion the best tracks on here are sold as freedom, death of a nation, and operation iraqi liberation. i give it a 4/5
if you like #2 check out whatever it takes they're awesome. im a big fan of his singing and bassing

Mr. McGrift
05-02-2004, 03:16 PM
i think their cds should vary more on their message but i dont think they are full of **** because they include short one page essays about what each of their songs are about including facts about the history of some of americas foreign affairs and wrongdoings. they have an awesome sound but their only realy flaw is that they are repetitive in their messages.

Chorizo
05-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Their System Doesnt Work For You is my favorite album by them, it has Andy Flag (not that i dont like #2, it just seems they went downhill once he was added), and there are alot of songs with edge to it, buy that instead

Yeah agree with you. The first one is really the best one, its bad sound only reflects punk spirit and this is that good whereas the new albums, even if i think they're good, can't overcome Die for your government...

skatemaster
05-03-2004, 12:26 PM
It's a great CD.

And it's funny how IhateUsernames suddenly decided to act hXc :lol:
emo kids unite :rolleyes:

anyways the album isnt bad but all the songs sound the same....
everyone who listens to anti-flag should try pipedown, strike anywhere.
they keep a good political message but dont whine about it at every song

$bassline$
06-22-2004, 09:45 PM
they sound kind of poppy to appeal to more people to get their message to a wider audience

YDload-I couldn't understand the lyrics to "Turncoat" when I heard it on the radio, and I was convinced that it was just another pop-punk song.

the lyrics are about the media's lies and how they exploit people

meeeeeeeeeeeeee (returned)
07-03-2004, 05:47 AM
I think this is a good album, not great though, I prefer 'New Kind of Amry' and 'Underground Network' a million times more. I thought this cd had the songs badly arranged, they should of had the good songs spread apart more so you didnt get several avergae songs then two good songs etc, it should of been more spread out.

genitals_are_funny
07-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Havent heard it but this review makes me want to go out and buy it like right now, i thought that was a awsome review

Shadows
07-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I'll give AF a better rating when start writing songs about more then one topic (I got the gist that our government sucks after one song). - 1/5
Great work on that review though.

UAA-Protestant
07-11-2004, 12:20 PM
The Thing about anti-flag is they are anti-government, alot of people seem to not like that , but if u think about it, they only point out the things the government does..that arent right , or arent suppose to happen alltogether, Terror State isnt there BEST cd, my opinion, underground network, owned all, INCLUDING NEW KIND OF ARMY, but hay, i have only liked A-F for 4 years.. lol..but anywayz..A-F is here to stay, whether all these wannabe punks like them or not..
<3-hs

$bassline$
07-21-2004, 02:41 PM
they are all 19 because they started the band when they were like 13, but it took them a few years to get a record deal

imaf-up
07-21-2004, 06:36 PM
What do you mean by that.:evil:

I've always been hardcore.
Lose the nazi sign

z is me
08-12-2004, 01:18 PM
great band, ok cd.

J_McMeaty
08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
pick up Die For The Government instead of The Terror State, way better

Metallica_1
08-25-2004, 04:51 PM

how about you try listening to A New Kind of Army... Right On and Captain Anarchy have nothing to do with politics, and so what if they sing about politics, it's a big deal in our country right now and what better way to express their view than with music.

Metallica_1
08-25-2004, 05:08 PM
thanks for not calling it 'punk' in the title.

why shouldn't anti-flag be called "punk"? ppl call blink 182 and sum 41 punk and anti-flag is better than both of them

Metallica_1
08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
I'll give AF a better rating when start writing songs about more then one topic (I got the gist that our government sucks after one song). - 1/5
Great work on that review though.

again... try listening to another cd...terror state is a good cd but not the best

X THE HAVOC X
08-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Yea . . . get there older stuff its better, this new crap there producing sucks.

SGdudeSG
08-25-2004, 07:02 PM
ummm.....unless they've changed the band lineup, there isnt anyone named nate in the band. im not trying to come off as a jerk or anything, just thought id let you know. the lineup (as i recall) is:

justin sane- vocals, guitar
chris head- lead guitar
chris #2- bass, backing vocals
pat thetic- drums

my names nate...should i join af?

Daniel_Son
08-26-2004, 10:01 AM
I had actually heard Anti-flag on a Fat Music compilation (5?) and really liked the song, Seattle Was A Riot. after reading the review, and these comments, I might pick myself up a copy of the album next time i'm out

Arucard
08-27-2004, 05:05 AM
you want a song about something other than politics listen to spaz's house destruction party
its owns

Metallica_1
08-30-2004, 06:20 PM
you want a song about something other than politics listen to spaz's house destruction party
its owns

:chug: agreed