PDA

View Full Version : (Metal) Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

EvilMunkey
11-25-2003, 10:16 AM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd600/d664/d664156h2fr.jpg

Album Information

Pantera’s highest selling album to date. Its also Pantera’s fourth album featuring Phil Anselmo. The album was written primarily for heaviness thus the lyrical content suffered. It is highly underrated due to the quick style change from the bands pre-deceasing album, "Vulgar Display of Power". This new style would change Pantera’s music forever, as they will try to pursue it with 2 more albums.

Release Date: March 15, 1994

Track Listing

1. Strength Beyond Strength
2. Becoming
3. 5 Minutes Alone
4. I'm Broken
5. Good Friends And a Bottle of Pills
6. Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks
7. Slaughtered
8. 25 Years
9. Shedding Skin
10. Use My Third Arm
11. Throes of Rejection
12. Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath Cover)

Credits

Phil Anselmo (Vocals) - Anselmo is not the most talented of metal singers, but he is viewed by many as a very persistent and innovative singer. While in this album he rids himself of his former "disciplined" vocal sound, and replaces it with harsh screams, and harsh lyrics.

Dimebag Darrel (Guitar) - By far one of those most talented metal guitarists. In the album, he provides the most devastating riffs seen on any Pantera album. With songs like "Slaughtered" and "5 Minutes Alone", he escapes his former style, and creates new harsh, almost backward sounding riffs.

Rex Brown (Bass) - Offering his extensive speed and skilled finger work throughout every song, Rex certainly proves he isn’t any ordinary bass player. While keeping up an astonishing speed to Dimebag's of kilter riffs, he shows the harmony in which the two of them play.

Vinnie Paul (Drums) - Showing us his extensive talent throughout the whole album, Vinnie Paul tackles every song with hard, slow, and crushing drum beats. Dimebags riffs and Vinnie Pauls drumming have shown to be the two supporting factors of pantera.

Notable Tracks

5 Minutes Alone - An excellent track of twisted guitar riffage, savage drums, and an equally notable bass. The track starts out with a very basic riff, and harsh yet steady drums. Eventually the band begins to twist things a little bit, and manages to shape the track. About three quarters into the song, we get a classic Dimebag riff, followed by intense bass, and then the mood totally changes to a more harsh sound. The versatility in which this song transforms is reason enough to call this song one of the best tracks on Far Beyond Driven.

I'm Broken - The song is based around a Dimebag riffs that blends almost perfectly with Phil Anselmo's vocals. Vinne Paul yet again manages to reinforce the song. The song is also based around the subliminal quick thinking of Rex Brown’s bass. This is another track showing the extent of this bands talent.

4/5

This is one of my favorite metal cd's, it shows the talent of Pantera, and the talent of each individual member.

***Note: This is my first review, I hope you guys enjoyed it.

behemoth
11-26-2003, 07:32 AM
nice review. thanks.

Not my personal favourite Pantera album. I preferred both Vulgar Display and Trendkill, but hey :)

JAStewart
11-26-2003, 09:14 AM
I love this album.

iloveteddy
11-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Good review, but Pantera sucks.

JAStewart
11-28-2003, 07:10 AM
Explain fully how they suck. If you can't find a decent reason then you suck.

Ve Das
11-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Listen to the album.I won´t review it as mine would be horribly biased against the band(I HATE that fücking CD)

xochimilco
11-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Dude, did you only just discover Pantera or something? We want reviews of NEW albums. Write something fudging useful.
Nice review, though. Lot of work went into that. ;)

Agrotath
11-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Good review, I've never really listened to Pantera but they sound good (I listened to sound clips while reading :) )

DimebagDarrell
03-18-2004, 11:39 AM
hey no bad mouthing pantera they rule!!

the song i'm broken got me into pantera, the first time i saw the video i was like **** YEH THESE GUYS ROCK!

dazed and confused444
04-16-2004, 02:19 PM
good review..but i think that both cowboys from hell and vulgar display of power are much better albums...though i dont see whaqt u mean with the "sudden"' change of style between tthis album and VDOP ....i think they both sound similar....but they were totally different in the 80s..they were a big hair metal band

Return to Solice
04-17-2004, 11:47 AM
to the guy who bad mouthed pantera (too lazy to see hu it was)...u can rot in hell....unless u find a good reason to hate them....

goodbyesoberday
05-01-2004, 07:13 AM
Phil Anselmo (Vocals)[/b] - Anselmo is not the most talented of metal singers, but he is viewed by many as a very persistent and innovative singer. While in this album he rids himself of his former "disciplined" vocal sound, and replaces it with harsh screams, and harsh lyrics.
.[/B]

:amaze:

Jamo88
07-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Easily their worst album with Phil Anselmo. Dimebag still kills on six-string, but Phil's lyrics sunk into macho self-parody. It's heavy for the sake of being heavy, sloppy for the sake of being sloppy. You've gotta respect them for being Pantera and not following trends, but even the most untrendy albums have been the best for some bands (Zeppelin, The Clash, to name a few).

Most of the album was written during their studio time, and it shows. Some of these songs are Pantera classics (basically tracks 2, 3, and 4), but nothing can save the horrible, aimless "Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills," easily Pantera's worst individual song. After about 6 tracks of almost pure crap after that, you get treated to a Black Sabbath cover of "Planet Caravan," but this album can't be saved.

If they had cut out the horrible songs and made into an EP, it would be a nice detour before the next official album came out. But this album is 3/4 bad songs, and 1/4 classics.

Yeah, it's their most popular album. Do you know why? Because fans heard "Vulgar Display Of Power" and figured this would be their best yet, as word-of-mouth made the band even more famous. Then Pantera became lazy and ****ed up royally what could have been their finest achievement.

Do yourself a favor. Download the best songs from FBD, GST, and RTS, burn them onto a CD, forget about their hair metal days, and buy Cowboys and Vulgar Display. You'll be glad you did.

cfh7258189
07-02-2004, 04:58 PM
dimebag rules

Superjoint Smoker 666
07-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Good review, but Pantera sucks.
What the **** are you talking about. PANTERA ****ING KICKS ***!!!

Superjoint Smoker 666
07-02-2004, 05:12 PM
oh yeah I forgot. To me, FBD is when the band was at the height. they just made a bad-*** album(VDOP) and just finished a their first headlining tour. They had to come back with something to tell the people "You think we gave what you wanted? guess again." So I say that Far Beyond Driven is my favorite album of Pantera. Until Grea Southern Trendkill came out then that is too my favorite of Pantera.

Metaltillyableed
07-02-2004, 08:01 PM
good review..but i think that both cowboys from hell and vulgar display of power are much better albums...though i dont see whaqt u mean with the "sudden"' change of style between tthis album and VDOP ....i think they both sound similar....but they were totally different in the 80s..they were a big hair metal band
id have to say i highly agree with this dude i love pantera because they got me into metal and vdop was proabablly their best album to date. :thumb:

Dark Hero
07-02-2004, 10:08 PM
25 years is my favorite track.

McMullen
08-04-2004, 06:12 PM
http://www.posternow.com/imagem/p/p1409.jpg

2. Becoming (Fav)
3. 5 minutes alone
4. I'm Broken
5. Bad Friends and a bottle of Pills
7. Slaughtered
8. 25 Years
9. Shedding Skin
10. Use My Third Arm (Fav)
11. Throes Of Rejection (Fav)
12. Planet Caravan (Sabbath Cover)

Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" There heavist most hardcore album ever. With the ever popular among fans, I'm Broken, Five Minutes Alone, Becoming sold platnium in a little under 3 weeks, for bandmembers Phil Anselmo, Dimebag Darrell, Rex Brown, and Vinnie Paul they were living life! This was in my opinion the best album of the year! Dimebag a genius with his axe became 10x more technical and creative. Vinnie Paul improved his playing and impressed all the fans, Phil created a sound like no one else's vocals had ever done, and Rex one of the best bassists alive. Here is your Track by Track listing

The first track and most aggresive, a magnificent display of Drums, Guitars, Vocals, and bass. With Dimebags fast paced shredding he set the bar for Metal artists of the day.

2. Becoming
This is one creative song! The solo is enough to shatter glass! Running pickslides and SUPER FAST drums made this song very popular, Pantera fans always pick great talented bands to listen to!

3. 5 Minutes Alone
A very technical song with lots of palm muting and power chords, but hell that song kicks so much ***!

4. I'm Broken
The most popular song on the album, very intellegant lyrics while Dime plays around with his wah effect, This solo is red hot and can burn the skin off your face!

5. Bad Friends and a Bottle Of Pills
This song is a joke acctually, its pretty funny to listen too, Dime again using some creativity!

This is a song for stoners, this song is a mellow meaningful song, and by that I mean its bringing our the lighter side of Pantera like in Vulgar Display Of power, This is a great song though, what more can I say!

7. Slaughtered
A HARD HITTING SONG!!! In my opinion the vocals are excellent! Guitars Drums as well as Bass too, if you don't agree with me on this song you better just throw this album away, this is one of the best songs on the Album!

8. 25 Years
A great song, slower paced until the end has a great intro riff and outro, Dimebag never Ceaces to dissapoint me! This is one good song!

9. Shedding Skin
One of the most aggresive and hard hitting songs, Shedding skin has a meaning to everyone who listens to it, This entire song ESPECIALLY the solo will impress and Entice you

10. Use My Third Arm
One Of My favs this song is all about Hardcore if you don't thinkthat is hardcore get the hell out! This song has Great Chorus vocals, I just love them heres an example! "Kill The **** To Shut Him Up" ha ha thats a great song!

11. Throes Of Rejection
For me his most talented solo up to date, Dimebag I mean. This is the most Hardcore song on the album I really like the coversion from the Wah in the intro to straight out distortion! Its the best song on the CD in my opinion!

12. Planet Caravan
This is a Black Sabbath cover made for the Tribute album Nativity In Black, that was turned down so it was released on this Excellent CD, it clearly shows everyones ability to play undistored and virtually unplugged in Pantera terms. A great solo at the end shows Dimebags real talent form his biggest Idol Tony Iommi.

This has been a CD Review from McMullen, hope you enjoyed it!

Bartender
08-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Threads merged, since the review was already done. Finish your review in here :)

Phil Anselmo
08-10-2004, 04:02 PM
all pantera albums freakin rocked, i personally like The Great Southern Trendkill best, but Far From Driven still kicks @$$