Spiders
Ddevil
Soil
War?
Mind
Peephole
CubErt
Darts
P.L.U.C.K. (Politically Lying Unholy Cowardly Killers)

In my opinion, System of a Down is one of the most unique bands out there right now, although many will disagree with me. Most people either love SOAD, or else they hate them.

Why love them: Their sound is amazing. They might not have the hardest guitar riffs or wicked drum beats, but they have a catchy sound that a lot of people love.

Why people hate them: People don't like SOAD mainly because of the easyness of their music; hence, why they got labeled nu-metal. Another reason why some don't like SOAD is because they think Serj Tankian's voice is extremely annoying. Some like his voice, some hate it. I personally like it. It is different than any other voice I've ever heard in music.

The History Behind the Band

This debut by the L.A.-based quartet is a hybrid of politically incendiary lyrics, and wide-ranging cultural influences. The members are of Armenian descent, but their diverse stylistic background transcends easy cultural labeling. Singer Serj Tankian's throaty roar competes with any mosh-pit rocker around, but his real trademark is his emotional wail and refreshingly melodic singing, especially on songs such as "Spiders" and the condemnatory "P.L.U.C.K." Guitarist Daron Malakian, bassist Shavo Odadjian, and drummer John Dolmayan lock in tight on the capricious arrangements of "Know," "Ddevil," and "CUBErt." Their musical diversity runs wonderfully wild on "Sugar" and "Suggestions" with dizzying shifts of style and intensity. The tracks "Peephole" and "War?" reveal the band at perhaps its eclectic best, with vaguely Eastern European-sounding guitar riffs, passionate battle cries, and samples provided by legendary hip-hop producer Rick Rubin.
The Song Reviews

Suite Pee- This song is wicked. That is all I have to say. It starts out with this awesome mini-guitar solo. You can tell right off the bat that Tankian is of a different culture when he trills his r's.
The song explodes at first with a fast guitar riff, but slows way down at the chorus. In the bridge, Tankians voice explodes with a powerful growl. This is a good song. 8/10

Know-The song starts out with an awesome beat on the drums, thanks to John Dolmayan. The guitar soon comes in along with Tankian roaring. There is quite a bit of head-banging action in this song. Tankian sounds extremely middle eastern in this song, (since he's from Armenia) This is one of my favorite songs. 9.5/10

Sugar- I think this was the first single off the album, besides Spiders. You can snap your fingers to this song. Dolmayan plays a jazz beat in this song. This piece is too hard to explain. It is just... different. I like it though. 10/10

Suggestions: Not one of my favorite songs. It starts out with an extremely simple guitar riff. In the chorus, the guitar player, Malakian takes lead vocals and screams. (I find that his screaming is terrible, which is why I don't like the song too much) 4/10

Spiders- Spiders is really the only ballad of the album. This is one of my favorites. Tankian did a great job on the lyrics. The verse is slow and simple, but when the chorus approaches, the guitar picks up a bit, along with Tankian's voice. 9.5/10

Ddevil- A very strange song this is. This is one of the shorter songs on the album, yet I seem to enjoy it very much. Dolmayan seems to play this extremely "skippy" beat. Seriously, it is like a child skipping. I think this song is about gaining independence. 9/10

Soil- I, along with many others claim this to be SOAD's best song they've ever made. This is my all time favorite SOAD song, yet many fail to notice it, because they don't find a need to purchase the self titled album. The lyrics are quite odd in this song. This is another one of SOAD's songs that are a little hard to explain. It has a solo near the end of the song that is pretty sweet. It is not too hard, but it sounds very middle eastern. 10/10

War?- I find that this is the anthem of System of a Down. This is one of their most political songs EVER. It is about fighting off the Heathens and gaining independence back. In the chorus, Tankian yells "We will Fight the Heathens!" They do a great job on this song. 10/10

Mind- SOAD's longest and most mysterious song, not just on this album, but all their albums. I can't figure out what the song is about. The first minute or two is just slow, kind of like Spiders. Then the song explodes into Tankian going on about something. He does some very strange things with his voice in this song. This is one of those songs where it takes a while to get used to it. 9/10

Peephole- Another extremely strange song. It sounds like something from the circus. The riff between the guitar and the bass sounds like a clown show. Another great song that takes a while to like. 9/10
"When your stars are bent, and your rivers fly, do you ever believe you were stuck in the... SKY!" Very weird lyrics.

CubErt- ANOTHER strange song. This is probably in my top 3 songs for the album though. I can't describe this song too much, for it is very strange. It is another song that has quite a bit of headbanging action though. :D 10/10

Darts- This song has strange lyrics. I mean STRANGE. It is after all a pretty unique song, which I like. It has a powerful chorus that makes sure to grab your attention. Malakian does a great job on the guitar on this song. 8/10

P.L.U.C.K.- Another one of SOAD's very political songs. I love this song though. It has awesome guitar, awesome bass, awesome vocals, and wicked drums. Tankian's growls are amazing in this song, along with Malakians, (which I actually like in this song) This song has a real middle eastern twist to it. I like this song a lot. 10/10

Overall rating: 8.7/10 Thanks for taking the time to read. :thumb

BirdsOfFires
11-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Cite sources man.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007T1M/103-3277229-7500642?v=glance
:rolleyes:

Oh, also nice review. I see alot of posts by you lately, read the posts, and go:
"What the fuck, Thy Trooper wrote that!?"

Mekkalayakay
11-24-2003, 09:05 PM
meh.. I didn't feel like explaining their biography. That is the only thing I got off the site.

but thanks... I think. :( :thumb:

RideTheSpiral
11-25-2003, 06:15 AM
Nice review, maybe a little generous but it's definitly SOAD's best album.

YDload
11-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Wow, that's the greatest review of one of my favorite albums. Thanks for saying a lot of what was on my mind, freeing me from having to write it myself, but I'm mostly just glad that someone else feels the same way I do about these simplistic, yet insanely addictive and unique songs.

Mekkalayakay
11-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by YDload
Wow, that's the greatest review of one of my favorite albums. Thanks for saying a lot of what was on my mind, freeing me from having to write it myself, but I'm mostly just glad that someone else feels the same way I do about these simplistic, yet insanely addictive and unique songs.

Your Welcome dude. :thumb:

I'm not a person that really appreciates albums for how hard the riffs are, or how complicated the bass lines are. I like a bit of uniqueness in my music; something that doesn't sound the same as everything else. :thumb:

BirdsOfFires
11-26-2003, 01:44 AM
I didn't mean to come off as an ass. I was actually mocking the wanna be TSZ dude who said that to me more than anything.

system_dude
12-02-2003, 04:54 AM
this is one of the best albums i have heard....ever

system of a down are the best band..... ever

i was disapointed at what you said about suggestions though, i love that song expecially the intro, maybe its just me!

i also love Darts, Sugar, Soil, War, Ddevil, oh i love em all!

FillInTheBlankHere___
12-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Great album, by far my favourite SOAD CD. The newer ones just aren't as.... quirky, unique, heavy, I'm not sure, they're missing some energy that this album has.

Druming Freak
12-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Great album I realy liked it and I realy liked the drum beat in know, but the CD shouldent have so much language in it.

YDload
12-06-2003, 10:46 PM
^ Who are you, Tipper Gore? Leave the profanity alone! They didn't use much in "Toxicity," so the anger has got to be somewhere!

Mekkalayakay
12-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but I see what Druming freak is saying UPload. I agree that they have to have their anger somewhere, but you do have to admit that the lyrics were a bit too extreme on Soil. They could have done a bit better writing the lyrics.

OpiateTheMasses!
12-07-2003, 12:34 AM
^ Who are you, Tipper Gore? Leave the profanity alone! They didn't use much in "Toxicity," so the anger has got to be somewhere!
Im sorry, but I find profanity rather stupid. Its resorting low to get a point across, and you dont need it to express anger. Its fine in small doses, but not in large.

badger_badger
12-07-2003, 01:10 AM
i dont mind the profanity in this album though, some how they use it well and it expresses alot of feeling. And thy trooper, is ddevil really about independence? i dont know what its about, but i didnt really think of it as that

YDload
12-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Thy Trooper
Yeah, but I see what Druming freak is saying UPload. I agree that they have to have their anger somewhere, but you do have to admit that the lyrics were a bit too extreme on Soil. They could have done a bit better writing the lyrics.

The only reason I would not like profanity is if I really really wanted to do a song for a school talent show and couldn't because of that (like "Longview"). But otherwise I don't see the problem.

Also, what's with the "UPload?" My name is "Wide Load," and that is how it's pronounced, biotch! It has nothing to do with downloading.

Mekkalayakay
12-07-2003, 07:10 PM
:o I knew it was YDload.. Seriously. It was a spelling mistake.

BirdsOfFires
12-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by OpiateTheMasses!
Im sorry, but I find profanity rather stupid. Its resorting low to get a point across, and you dont need it to express anger. Its fine in small doses, but not in large.

Meh I find your posts rather stupid. It's resorting to restrictive values and fear due to your own insecurities. It's okay in small doses, though.

:thumb:

IntoTheFire
12-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Nice review. This is my favorite SOAD CD, and Soil is may all time fav too.

epifreak2002
12-09-2003, 11:33 PM

Maybe he just feels that they overdid it in this one, that it felt faked. I've listened to albums like that, (Korn: Follow the Leader comes to mind) I don't own this, so I can't say anything else productive except that if I had any money, I would own this album.

Ecu
12-12-2003, 04:34 AM
A tuning album, with a great sond (Spider) and "the rest"... well, everybody has to start with something.

2/5

PoorTom
12-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Hey Opiate, why don't you go listen to Pillar and shut up.

NySkater4ever
12-15-2003, 09:27 PM
System Of A Down gets a 4/5, the 1 point is lost due to the fact that its not as good as good as Toxicity in comparison...

Ganondorf
12-15-2003, 10:23 PM
So your saying that Toxicity gets a 5/5 then?

Well, bull****

That would mean Toxicity is as good as something like Led Zeppelin IV......

You have to rate the albums seperately, not in comparison

Mekkalayakay
12-16-2003, 08:27 AM
System Of A Down gets a 4/5, the 1 point is lost due to the fact that its not as good as good as Toxicity in comparison...

Ah, Man. You seriously think Toxicity was better?? I thought Self-Titled was their best album easy. They practically changed after they went to Toxicity. They are still original now, but they were even more creative before.

ieatalotoftacos
03-14-2004, 10:49 PM

No way, this better demonstrates SOAD's talent and emotion. Toxicity has too many songs that sound the same, plus Psycho's the only song with a solo, while this has many of them. There are a few songs I don't like like Peephole, but I love Soil, Peephole, Mind, Suggestions, P.L.U.CK., and Spiders most of all.

brycey
03-15-2004, 10:11 AM
GREAT review Trooper!

P.L.U.C.K, Sugar, and Suite-Pee being my favourite tracks. :thumb:

superawesome88
03-15-2004, 10:22 AM
this album kicks butt, so does the reveiw

superpeer
03-15-2004, 01:08 PM
4/5 for this one.

leomondaine
03-15-2004, 01:52 PM
i give em a 4.5/5 I think this is definatly their best album. I think that the reason that some people dont like this album is because of how alot of the songs are just weird and freaky and how serj makes spaztic noises and such. personally i like the weirdness, i think its origional sounding and sometimes its funny

jversluis88
05-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Every album System of a Down has is great, but I find that this album differs from the latter two (Toxicity, and Steal This Album). To me it seems that the song-writing is much more in-depth compared to the others.

fillmaker
05-17-2004, 06:44 PM
i'd say 4.5/5 because some of their songs were too short like CUBErt and DDevil. otherwise, this is one of the best albums i know :thumb:

Shadow6477
05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
fav band in the world. i love all their albums :D

cbmartinez
05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
This isn't SOAD at their best. They recording is a bit crappy, they curse too much and the songs aren't very innovative. It was obvious that this was a album to get some metal fans and I think they stepped in the right direction with Toxicity. Still their are many catchy, brutal metal tracks on this album and its decent. He uses some very weird screams and vocals that I like. Favorite tracks have to be CUBErt, War?, Sugar, Suite Pee, Ddevil, Know, Soil and P.L.U.C.K.

Death to The Trooper
05-18-2004, 10:24 PM
" It was obvious that this was an album to get more metal fans

Um..Yeah.

You know how many cd's they sold? (self titled)

This album wasn't about gaining a large fan base. This album was the true SOAD.

cbmartinez
05-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Well, I personally think that this was an album to get some fans with the brutal, metal songs. Toxicity they took a stab at melody and other stuff. I realized it was true SOAD as they have a unique style and will do what they want with their songs no matter what people think.

lemma
05-20-2004, 12:27 AM
I was reading this out of interest, and I was surprised to find that a lot of you jerks have no concept of the depth and meaning of systems songs. So many of you are stuck in your ridiculous shallow worlds, the only thing you can come up with to criticise them is the fact that they swear. If they choose to express themselves through expletives then they can, it does not cheapen their emotions, it does not make the anger they express weak and pretend, it in fact is the way they show you the rawness of the emotions that are expressed, by using the language they would use normally. Why should they change their lyrics coz some mommy's boy doesn't like swearing. If you dont like the music, dont listen, and dont criticize it out of your own close-minded, "moral" idiocy. Just because they arent recognised by christians and mommy's boysdoes not mean expletives are unnacceptable language, and they do not cheapen serj's lyrics at all.

Go listen to bob the builder, and hi 5 if you are offended by the "harsh" language that is common to pretty much all heavy music.

Humpy
05-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Dude, nice review man... cept for that whole Suggestions garbage :p War is my all-time favourite SOAD song, and this is (without question) their best CD! By the way, their new album comes out in fall... look out :thumb:

jversluis88
05-20-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't care what other people think, I think Suggestions is an amazing song.

YDload
05-20-2004, 05:08 PM
I like "Suggestions" too. It's different than the other songs in many ways, but if I had to pick a song that would most reveal what they would sound like on "Toxicity," it would probably be that one.

LicensedToIll86
05-20-2004, 07:17 PM
yea, i would have to say that selftitled is their best album. But i did really like toxicity with songs like chop suey, toxicity, aerials, prison song, ect. i didnt really like "steal this album" though. Their first album is legend though, yea, theres some weird stuff but thats what makes system of a down, system of a down!

ISUKATBASS
09-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Why are so many people offended by profanity? Get over it!

Good review except Suite Pee is a ten and Suggestions is a 7-8. This is the best SOAD album (perhaps until the new one comes out). SOAD is alongside Tool as the best and most creative band around right now. Its a shame the are labeled new metal.

Adam_West
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
This is my first post and I'm glad it's about SOAD. Im gonna bring up the "profanity" thing again. I'm gonna agree with lemma and say that the profanity isn't bringing down the meaning of the songs. Plus, i thru all the posts and noone mentioned that the song "Soil" is about a friend who killed himself, I dunno if I'm stating the obvious, but that's why there are so many swears in that song. They're just expressing the loss of their close friend. Anyways, this CD is my fave and SOAD is my fave band. I like every song on it, but my faves are soil, know, peephole and P.L.U.C.K. I'm gonna give this CD a 5/5.

Jiezeru
09-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah, this CD is One of the best in my collection, i never get bored of it, when i first listned, i wasnt too keen on the screaming, but this is a genuinley good album, and i got it for 2.50!

Industry-Killer
12-02-2004, 06:54 AM
I saw on a website that the system album comes out like january 18 2005 or so and its called hypnotize. so im jes lettin all system fans know :thumb:

LoveMuscle
12-02-2004, 11:00 AM
I like the music but greatly dislike the political messages in the lyrics :smash:

burton.and.gas
12-02-2004, 01:51 PM
ok teh review is cool, but i feel i must disagree with the nu-metal thing. i dont wanna start a label argument but i just dont think they are nu-metal. no arguin over this if u disagree with me cos its ur review. anyway ist a godo review taht does teh album justice and well done.

jamesclelland
12-02-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure peephole is about drugs man

jamesclelland
12-02-2004, 03:48 PM
good review though, i would have gone more indepth, but overall good review **** good cd, soad will never match this again sadly.