PDA

View Full Version : (Alt Rock)The Foo Figthers - The Colour and the Shape

AKid2
11-21-2003, 11:43 PM
This is by far one of my favorite alternative cds. It features Dave Grohl on lead guitar, vocals, and drums, along with Pat Smear on rhythm and Nate Mendel on bass. It is the Foo Fighter's 3rd Studio album.

As far as sound it is a bit lighter than the first 2 albums, yet more refined. It is a very nice album to relax or to pass the time while you're doing your work. There's no muscial breakthroughs on this album, and if you think its boring, I understand, but I think Dave Grohl's voice along with the slow melodies create a really cohesive sound.

Check out:

Everlong
Febuary Stars
Blackout

I rate this album
:) :) :) :) :upset:

behemoth
11-22-2003, 02:01 AM
I thought this was their second album?!

I agree with your rating, but I also think people should check out Monkey Wrench and My Hero :)

BirdsOfFires
11-22-2003, 03:26 AM
Do a much more complete review please. This tells us nothing. You didn't even know that it was their second album?

behemoth
11-22-2003, 03:42 AM
I found this album much more of a slow-burner than the previous self-titled outing. Its apparent that the Foo Fighters have evolved from Dave Grohl's pet project into a band in its own right. It's generally a softer vibe - whilst the punky, catchy choruses are not missing here, they're given more personality and feel somewhat warmer and more delicate. The happy spark that seemed a little incongruous on the first album settles better on this one completing a seamless mix of joy and melancholy.

And I believe Everlong is one of the best songs ever written.

The album isn't a favourite of mine, but it is strong and solid, you can listen end to end quite comfortably, and its notable by its absence in many music collections. Buy it, it's lovely. 4/5 :thumb:

neal_672
11-22-2003, 11:14 AM
What with the foo fighters being one of my favourite bands and all this may be a bit biased but here goes anyway. Indeed this is their second album, but it is much more accomplished then their first album.

Starts with a rather melodic song in "doll" using Grohl's voice in a way i hadn't heard at all.

It then leads into the sublime "monkey wrench" i bought the album on the merit of this song alone, and after "everlong" (more on that later). I was actually quite shocked at the changes of pace in this album, because it goes straight from "doll" into the amazingly fast "monkey wrench" i was originally shocked, however such change is what keeps this album fresh and invigorating for me.

Next up is "Hey, Johnny Park!" my second favourite song on this album, not very fast, but relatively heavy, with a much slower chorus, all in all a great song.

"My poor brain" starts off very heavy and sounding very well i don't know how to describe it, erm mish-mashed? Then all of a sudden leads into a melodic tune, with a bassline that i really like, the chorus is a lot heavier. After each chorus it leads back to the melodic stage again, i like this song on the merit of it's differing paces, one of the best on the album.

"Wind Up" has one of my favourite intor's of any of the foo fighters music i've heard, very much a rock song, losing the bands vaguely punky sound from their first album, probably due to the lack of a full band (drummer Will Goldsmith left during the recording of this album because of the tight control of producer Gil Norton).

"Up in arms" is a again very much a slower song, with the same style of singing that Grohl used in "doll" being replicated to great effect. A relatively short song [2:15], the end of the song turns into a more fast paced rock song, possibly sounds vaguely punky, but i'll leave you to decide on that.

"My hero" is an amazing song, starts with a fairly heavy drum beat, leading to softer, and eventually heavier guitar/bass. Very catchy, now reverting to a much heavier song, one of the best songs on the album, i love the lyrics in the chorus, grohl using a much more gravelly voice to sing this song.

"See You" is another short song [2:26] sounds vaguely like "Big me" (relying on you having heard it here :lol: ) quite a strange song, kinda hard to take it seriously (if you've ever heard "the factory" on the Vines album "highly evolved" you might get what you mean) it's strange, but nevertheless a catchy song, if very out of place.

"Enough Space" has a very nice opening, with one of my favourite basslines on any album, nothing special, just catchy (there i am being biased :rolleyes: ) Goes slightly melodic in spaces, before going into a very heavy chorus with Grohl repeating his screaming style of singing last seen in "monkey wrench"

"February Stars" yet another of my favourites on this album, starts very melodic, picks up a bit of pace, but remains much quieter than the majority of the album, apart from the chorus' which are generally quite heavy.

"Everlong" my favourite Foo Fighters song ever, it's totally incredible, everything about it is just well, right, to be honest, starts quiet, but quickly builds up to a brilliant, yet simple tune, fairly fast, but again, purely rock, no punky sounds in here at all.

"Walking after you" a fairly long song at just over 5:00, starts with acoustics, with Grohl using a quieter tone of singing, this is pretty much the onyl song that is very melodic and generally calm on a whole.

"New Way Home" the final song on this great album is one of the longest on the album [5:40] and starts off sounding a bit punky and remains this tune throughout the entire album, a nice way to round off the album, very catchy, not one of the best on the album, the lyrics are nice though.

All in all an excellent album, well worth buying, you won't get bored of it quickly, however if you are expecting something like the Foo Fighters first album then make sure you listen to it before you buy.

I'd rate this:

:) :) :) :) :) /:upset:

aka. 4.5

P.S. this is my first review, so opinions would be nice thanks. :D

AKid2
11-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BirdsOfFires
Do a much more complete review please. This tells us nothing. You didn't even know that it was their second album?

I'm pretty sure its their 3rd...?

the halfrican
11-22-2003, 11:52 PM
^im too tired to write a review but ill rate it an 8 out of 10 cause its just that good. its bad that u think u know sometihng but u dont. the colour and the shape is their 2nd album.

neal_672
11-23-2003, 07:15 AM
The shape is most definitely their second album, the third being there is nothing left to lose, the fourth is one by one.

hybridofsound
03-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Neal that was a good review :thumb: It's a great album this one. My Hero is probably the best Foo Fighters song ever IMO.

br3ad_man
03-10-2004, 03:37 AM
^^^^ Same, Everlong coming in second. I really like See You as well. Neal's review was great.

moderaterock222
03-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Then you would be wrong.
To be fair the first review sucked, but neals was good and i agree with most of his comments.
This album changed me musicaly, Dave Grohl has had such a vast impact on me. This album is awesome, when i first head it i thought it was ok but it slowly grew on me and now it reminds me of a time when i was truly happy...so its a great record that i shall be listening to now

brycey
03-10-2004, 12:53 PM
That was a great review neal. :thumb:

The first review is, to be quite honest, crap.

dazed and confused444
03-10-2004, 03:53 PM
ive been thinkin off gettin this album for a while iv heard everlong and i thought it was great....thanks for the great review neal..i'll be gettin it this weekend

Fender_Strat8915
03-20-2004, 07:17 PM
this was a decent cd....good for the price (6.99....at target...)i would rate this cd a 4/5

dietlaxative
06-01-2004, 11:20 AM
it was there SECOND album, dave had a demo called pocket watch, never released, then he released a self titled album under the name foo fighters, then colour and the shape, 3rd album was theres noting left to lose then one by one. have you heard the actual song the colour and the shape it rocks, never made the album though. next foo fighters album will be out late this year or early next year, its a 2 cd album, 1st cd hard rocking songs and the 2nd cd more mellow

StardogChampion
06-09-2004, 10:39 AM
4/5

Everlong is my favorite on the album.

unlike "there is nothing left to lose" this one stays great throughout the entire album.

StardogChampion
06-09-2004, 10:40 AM
it was there SECOND album, dave had a demo called pocket watch, never released, then he released a self titled album under the name foo fighters, then colour and the shape, 3rd album was theres noting left to lose then one by one. have you heard the actual song the colour and the shape it rocks, never made the album though. next foo fighters album will be out late this year or early next year, its a 2 cd album, 1st cd hard rocking songs and the 2nd cd more mellow
cool! i was wondering what was going on, cuz i heard they were working on one.

hope its better than one by one though,.. which wasnt near their best work.

neal_672
06-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, took me bloody ages to write out though so i'm glad you appreciate it, personally i like one by one the most of all the Foo Fighters albums, it has a more mature sound than the other albums, almost like the music has grown up as Dave has musically. New album sounds excellent though :thumb:

mexicanfloydian
06-22-2004, 12:45 PM
great album 4/5

Crocto
06-22-2004, 09:38 PM
great 2nd album, probably their best to date. a little slow in parts though. i'm pretty sure dave plays every instrument on this one, just like on "foo fighters". 4.5/5.

Radiobass81
06-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Ive always preferred "There is nothing left to loose", but never the less, great cd and review.

mike88564
07-19-2004, 08:50 AM

AHH??? So what do you think is their second then?

prsinthismutha
07-19-2004, 10:33 AM
great cd almost all the songs are great

Shadowed Reflection
11-02-2004, 12:08 AM
IMO the guitar in the chorus in Hey Jonny park spoils the chorus, otherwise one of my fave songs on the album. My second faveourite album by the foos and my 5th faveourite of all time so far.