PDA

View Full Version : (Rock/Metal/??) Tool - Lateralus

Bartender
11-20-2003, 02:17 PM
First, a few things to know if you're not already a fan. This is a long album, something like 4 seconds short of being as long as it could be on a single disc. Its also not lightweight stuff, so if you're checking out Tool as a result of APC, prepare for a bit of a shock.

Anyway, this is Tool's 3rd full, proper album (counting the '92 Opiate EP as an EP and Salival as a stopgap, rather than a "real" album). Their previous albums were Undertow in '93 and Aenima in '96. Lateralus was released in May 2001, so it took them a while to make (although obviously it wasn't the full five years - Maynard was busy recording/touring APC, etc). Anyway, on to the tracks;

1 - The Grudge (8:36)
This is a slow burning track, driven mainly by the percussion and Maynards mantra-like vox. The lyrics seem to be (on the surface) literally about a grudge, about a (slow burning) hatred for someone, though expressed more poetically than most people could probably manage. Oddly the song starts with what sounds like a washing machine switching on, before launching into the huge groove that it stays on for the full eight and a half minutes. Also worthy of note is Maynard's scream about 7 minutes in - lasting almost thirty seconds, surely one of the greatest ever recorded (for greatest, listen to Lord Worm of Cryptopsy in Open Face Surgery). One of my personal favourite tracks.
5/5

2 - Eon Blue Apocalypse (1:04)
3 - The Patient (7:14)
As these two tracks run together, I'll review them together. The beginning of EBA sounds very eastern to me, very mystical. It doesn't so much launch as slide into another very long song, The Patient - on the whole a much quieter track than the opener; that is, until huge guitars lash into it later on. The ideas are again expressed in lyrics better than anything I could ever imagine myself, and seem to focus on a different aspect of a grudge - someone doggedly trying to keep a relationship alive. I don't feel I can give this song full marks, as although it is fantastic, it doesn't leap out at you during your first few listens, and I think thats what reviews should concentrate on.
4.5/5

4 - Mantra (1:12)
5 - Schism (6:47)
Again, they run together. Mantra isn't a song as such, it is just a segue into Schism. I have heard many theories of what the noise on it actually is, from whale song, to the sound of a cat being squeezed by Maynard, slowed down immensely.
Schism is the track you will most likely have heard if you're not already a Tool fan, as it was the first (and as far I know, the most successful) single off of the album. Its begins with one of the most instantly loveable basslines I've ever heard - its not so much a hook as a harpoon; it will get stuck in your head. The lyrics continue the so far recurrent theme of a grudge/enmity, this time concentrating on the actual rift, the distance between the two (ie the schism).
5/5

6 - Parabol (3:04)
7 - Parabola (6:03)
The next single (together), and one of the heavier songs on the album. The first part (Parabol) doesn't seem so; in fact, it returns to the relaxed take shown in the Patient. The music is generally softer and slower, concentrating more on Maynard's softly sung vocals. It then explodes into Parabola, with searingly loud guitars and a much more energetic musical showcase, while retaining the same lyrical themes from Parabola. Maynards vocals remain relaxed for most of the song before he injects more power in to them later on.
5/5

8 - Ticks & Leeches (8:10)
Probably the loudest song on the album, it definitely contains the harshest vocals - it apparently took Maynard three weeks to recover his voice fully after recording it, and, as far as I know, has only been performed live once. It is again very much percussion driven, a real showcase for Danny, along with some searing work from the other instrumentalists. The lyrics, and vocal style, are angry, bitter and strong.
5/5

9 - Lateralis (I've got one of the misprinted albums, so its keeping an "i") (9:24)
Starting off with a gentle and memorable repeating guitar bit, this track definitely lulls you into a false sense of security before jumping off with a huge riff. This is probably my favourite track on the album. The vocals are mantra-esque, as in The Grudge, which (for me) makes the release with "feed my will to feel this moment" later on an almost perfect moment.
5/5

10 - Disposition (4:46)
11 - Reflection (11:07)
12 - Triad (8:46)
Disposition is a slow track, with simple, repetitive lyrics and repetitive, beautiful musical work in the background. Its only 4 1/2 minutes long, but seems a lot longer - its almost perfect for relaxing to if you don't wanna have to concentrate on what you're listening to. Its almost like music for meditation.
4/5
Reflection links perfectly in from Dispositon, and its a long wait for vocals - all the better to appreciate the musical skills the band possess in the buildup. The vocal style is much less relaxed than the rest of the album (though not quite so tense as Ticks and Leeches). Maynards voice takes on a slightly higher pitched quality, which suits the track well.
5/5
Triad is an instrumental, segued into from Reflection. Its good, but only in the same way as Disposition is good for relaxing to, or as a showcase for the musicians skills, which is impressive.
4/5

13 - Faaip de Oiad
"Secret" track (which is actually listed on the back of the case) - not a song as such, it is actually a recording of a phone call made to a morning radio show, from a man claiming to be on the run from his former employers in Area 51. He was spieling it seriously, which equals uneasy comedy if you like that sort of thing (I do:)). It is played over what seems to be white noise (to add to the callers mysterious effect)...the title is in Enochian, which is the language of the Angels as dictated to a man in the 16th century (called Kelley) and his assistant, in visions (I bought a book on it after getting hooked on the album). It means (I think) roughly Voice of God (anyone correct me?).

Anyway, it should be obvious by now that Lateralus isn't a small piece of work - it'll take a while to digest, but it couldn't be more worth it.

5/5

Tool are (on this album)
Maynard James Keenan - vocals, and a bit of guitar on Disposition, I think.
Adam Jones - guitar
Justin Chancellor - bass
Danny Carey - percussion.

Bartender
11-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Just read over my review, and realised its one of the most ***-kissing reviews I've ever seen. I couldn't help it though, I love it too much.

GraveCross
11-20-2003, 03:52 PM
It's probably the best album of the new millenium. I don't think you were too overboard myself with the *** kissing.

Good review.
:thumb:

Led_Zep_Bonham
11-20-2003, 04:06 PM
I'd have to strongly disagree with GraveCross, but I still love the album. Reflection stands out the most for me.

Jigglypuff
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
I liked Reflection but my favourite was the title track.

HydrusGemini
11-20-2003, 04:20 PM
I agree with everything said above.

Also, just want to say that it may help to understand the album more if people research a few things the album (possibly) touches on, namely:
The Golden Mean/Fibonacci Numbers (applies specifically to Lateralis)
Astrology
Qabbalah (sp?)/Tree of Life
The Occult (the dictionary definition, not the popular one)
Cosmic Consciousness
...and I highley recommend visiting www.dannycarey.org as it entails alot of interesting information.

YDload
11-20-2003, 04:37 PM
I like this album a lot, especially since I started playing bass and learned that the first few seconds of "Disposition" are bass harmonics. Great relaxing song.

sting-ray
11-20-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of Tool, but i purchased the CD because IMO, after hearing numerous samples, i think its the best Tool album. The vocals are very appropriate for the music. Ticks and Leaches and lateralis are my favourite songs.

my rating: 3.5/5

PeEpHoLe_10
11-20-2003, 07:10 PM
i love this album, one of my favourite of all time.favourite song for me is parabol/parabola. brilliant.
5/5

craigmac
11-21-2003, 07:28 PM
it is definately one of the best albums ive ever heard. maybe not THE best but definately one of. maynards voice is so chilling but so peaceful at the same time. like an un-easy calmness if you will.

craigmac
11-22-2003, 10:24 AM
how the fuk did you find that book on faaip de oaid???

Bartender
11-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Read somewhere that the language was Enochian, searched for it on Amazon, found the Enochian Dictionary. Half of it is actually a dictionary of "known" words, which isn't all that great, but the first half is the story of how it came about, etc, which is really interesting.

craigmac
11-22-2003, 11:45 AM
cool. how did the word come to be about?

i sence alot of typing coming on....

Bartender
11-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Heh...in brief;

in 1581, a Dr called John Dee (a renaissance type - mathematician, philosopher, astrologer, scientist in one) was employed as a mathematician in the English royal court. Can't quite remember how (and can't find the book to check), but he ended up being interested in divination and magic, so he and his medium (Edward Kelley) started communing with angels and such. Enochian was the language dictated to Kelley by the angels and deciphered by Dee - Dee also developed it into the Enochian system of magic and invocation(I remember theres a story told by whoever did the foreword for the book about a group he was with who were into this kinda thing who managed a communication with an angel called Laidrom), which has been used as a basis for magicks ever since - if you know who Aleister Crowley is (most serious Tool fans seem to), he used Enochian (theres even some of his recordings in Enochian available on CD).

Enochian was also apparently used by Elizabeth's (the queen in Dee's time) and some later monarchs' secret security force, as a coded language.

Bartender
11-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Just found the book again, and Faaip De Oiad does indeed mean (roughly) Voice of God, or Voice of the Just One. The book is called The Complete Enochian Dictionary, and its written by Donald C. Laycock, just in case anyone's interested.

Kaden
11-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Bartender. I got the cd because of this review. I'm not to into it now, I have a feeling it'll take a while to get used to. But that's ok, all my favorite albums are like that.

RideTheSpiral
11-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Great review! Great album.

5/5

moderaterock222
11-26-2003, 12:04 PM
i think thats a pretty solid review. i agree with most of the things said..good job

TonyChoyIsGod
11-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I love this album as well. Ticks and Leeches and Reflection stand out the most for me. Good solid album.

denboy
11-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Definatly a 5/5

And about Eon Blue Apocalypse. It's Maynard, squeezing his siamese cat. I read that in the tool faq at toolshed.down.net .. Written by Kabir.. That guy is as close to real confirmation as you can get

The JoZ
11-26-2003, 03:20 PM
This was the first album of theirs I got, and so far, I've learned every part for bass except Disposition (don't have the Whammy) and Reflection

YDload
11-26-2003, 08:03 PM
^ Disposition sounds fine without it. I was just playing the intro, and the harmonics parts are really beautiful. I found the tabs for it at mxtabs.

Bartender
11-27-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Knifeboy
Definatly a 5/5

And about Eon Blue Apocalypse. It's Maynard, squeezing his siamese cat. I read that in the tool faq at toolshed.down.net .. Written by Kabir.. That guy is as close to real confirmation as you can get

I'm assuming you mean Mantra?

Anyway, yeah, thats where I read it as well, but its still not certain, which is why I called it a theory.

joshmay
11-28-2003, 04:58 PM
i think i will buy this album.

Bartender
11-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by joshmay41465
i think i will buy this album.

Cool, could you come back later if you do and give us an update on how you're getting on with it? You too Kaden, it'd be interesting.

Kaden
11-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Bartender
Cool, could you come back later if you do and give us an update on how you're getting on with it? You too Kaden, it'd be interesting.

I just got back from a roadtrip where I listened to this album for about 8 hours, and it's mind-blowing. Incredible music, not a single weak track. My favorite ones are Lateralus, Reflection, and Disposition. Ace album, definitely one of the best I've ever heard:thumb:5/5.

YDload
11-29-2003, 06:37 PM
^ I listened to this album on a road trip only a couple of days after I got it, so it was still fairly new to me. Listening to the songs as the landscapes speed past and underneath you is a great experience.

Kaden
11-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by YDload
^ I listened to this album on a road trip only a couple of days after I got it, so it was still fairly new to me. Listening to the songs as the landscapes speed past and underneath you is a great experience.

I definitely know what you mean.

Bartender
12-15-2003, 06:50 AM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136377&highlight=lateralus

I thought anyone who enjoys the album (or has bought it as a result of the review and is growing to love it) should check out Fibonacci's Alternate Track Order thread in the R+M forum, if they haven't already...so theres the link.

robnathanson
12-15-2003, 11:34 AM
that thread was cool...I was just about to post the link.

walter
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
excellent review man, would agree with you completely. Lateralus is my faviroute song, when it kicks in after about 7 minutes it is so epic

xeonman9000
03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
The 'white noise' in Faaip de Oiad is actually a drum solo, the whole track is a drum solo with Danny showing off his skills on both acoustic and electronic drums.

3rdplanet
03-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Does nobody apart from me think that The Patient is the best song on this album? :upset: I wasn't happy to see it get a 4.5/5, and the lowest mark of the 'real' songs. Can't you bunk it up to a 5? Please?

YDload
03-09-2004, 07:24 PM
^We don't think it's the best song, really: there are so many other good ones, and in my mind nothing will top "Parabola" soon as far as Tool songs go.

Bartender
03-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Does nobody apart from me think that The Patient is the best song on this album? :upset: I wasn't happy to see it get a 4.5/5, and the lowest mark of the 'real' songs. Can't you bunk it up to a 5? Please?

Well I'm not gonna change my review so long after it was done..I still think, fantastic though it is, its my least favourite song on the album.

boldstranger
03-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Ya, the Patient is one of my favorite songs on the album too. I dont see why the Patient was only given a 4.5 though. After a couple times of listening to the cd i could not stop listening to this song.

The JoZ
03-10-2004, 12:46 PM
The Patient is good for being slow and moody...but to be honest, it's not *that* special. Well, it is, because it's a Tool song...but it's not a song I have to hear fifty million times. It's also not as good for being a driving song, as say, Parabola or Aenima :cool:

Bartender
03-10-2004, 02:15 PM
After a couple times of listening to the cd i could not stop listening to this song.

That was the point - the Patient didn't jump out at me my first couple of listens; then after a few, it was my favourite track, closely followed by everything else on the CD (I have a very specific memory, for some reason, of writing a letter to a friend I wrote letters to at the time, recommending to her that song in particular)...but then a dozen or so listens later, the Patient just slightly fell out of favour with me, while the others remained as forward thrust in my mind...it was just left behind in my opinion of the other tracks.

Bartender
03-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Nazi Bassist - I like your other reviews, and respect your views and arguments as a Tool fan, sooo could I ask you what you think of the review?

The JoZ
03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Nazi Bassist - I like your other reviews, and respect your views and arguments as a Tool fan, sooo could I ask you what you think of the review?

That made my day :cool:

Overall, I think this review is a bit short. This is one of those bare-bones type of reviews, and it doesn't do each track justice, I don't think. I'm somewhat torn, because sometimes I think my reviews give away too much...but even then...I could tell you every single detail about a song, but nothing gives you the full experience other than hearing the song. That being said, I think there should've been a bit more description in each song here, just a little. Each song has several sections in it, and this review, while not bad, really doesn't touch on them in depth, even a little

In terms of the song ratings...I agree with all but a few...

I don't think Parabol/Parabola either should've been reviewed separately, or given slightly lower. Well, now that I think about it, 5 is probably ok...in my mind, Parabol gets about a 4...it's good, but is quite repetitive by Tool standards...and Parabola, well, I love it to death, I'd give it a 6/5 it's that good...so 5 meets it in the middle...:p

Ticks and Leeches I think is a strong 4 instead of five. The intro solo is amazing, and it is arguebly the hardest Tool song to date. However, that softer interlude section almost kills the song, and kills the mood for me...I don't mind instrumental interludes, but this one is really repetitive, and...it's not bad in terms of musicality, but after listening to it fully the first time, I was somewhat depressed...it might've been better had there been a killer guitar solo at the end to make up for it, but meh.

Also, I believe that Disposition is definetly a five. The bassline is one of the best lines ever in modern rock/metal I think. Granted, it gets repetitive, but it is intensely relaxing (bit of a paradox, eh?) but it's so good. Reflection I'd give a 4...it's a good track, but to me, it seems to drag on...11 minutes for a song like that is a bit long. Triad would've gotten a 5 from me, however, because that opening guitar solo is just so insane...I love the main riff too, it's so heavy, there's a definite tribal feel to it, very emotional despite no words being spoken

And last but not least...Lateralis gets 4.5 simply because the 9-8-7 progression throws me off...:p

YDload
03-10-2004, 05:04 PM
^ You sound more like a Nazi Drummer to me, what with the "intro solo" in Ticks and Leeches. It's only on drums, right?

The JoZ
03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
^ You sound more like a Nazi Drummer to me, what with the "intro solo" in Ticks and Leeches. It's only on drums, right?

How does that make me a Nazi Drummer?

Yes, the intro solo is done on drums...it's a drum solo...

YDload
03-11-2004, 06:31 PM
^ Because you were discussing the merits of the drum parts instead of the instrument which your user name would suggest that you like...

The JoZ
03-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, as a bassist, I'll be one to freely admit the bassline of Ticks and Leeches is not that hard, nor is it that good

flyguy
03-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Well, as a bassist, I'll be one to freely admit the bassline of Ticks and Leeches is not that hard, nor is it that good

I agree with you, but most people would have a hard time saying that about the drum part. :thumb:

*danny carey is genious for creating that pattern*

ieatalotoftacos
03-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Heh...in brief;

in 1581, a Dr called John Dee (a renaissance type - mathematician, philosopher, astrologer, scientist in one) was employed as a mathematician in the English royal court. Can't quite remember how (and can't find the book to check), but he ended up being interested in divination and magic, so he and his medium (Edward Kelley) started communing with angels and such. Enochian was the language dictated to Kelley by the angels and deciphered by Dee - Dee also developed it into the Enochian system of magic and invocation(I remember theres a story told by whoever did the foreword for the book about a group he was with who were into this kinda thing who managed a communication with an angel called Laidrom), which has been used as a basis for magicks ever since - if you know who Aleister Crowley is (most serious Tool fans seem to), he used Enochian (theres even some of his recordings in Enochian available on CD).

Enochian was also apparently used by Elizabeth's (the queen in Dee's time) and some later monarchs' secret security force, as a coded language.

It seems like Blair from Toolband is trying to push occult theories onto fans of tool, which is too bad, it probably turns many off to this great band. You don't have to dabble in the occult to be a serious Tool fan. The band encourages you to question yourself and your beliefs, but you don't have to dive into something like that. You can enjoy the music and not have to do a lot of research; music shouldn't turn into homework.
Great CD though, my favorite track is Reflection, just for Maynard's creative singing. Great drumming throughout, especially on Ticks and Leeches.

Bartender
03-15-2004, 10:50 AM
You don't have to dabble in the occult to be a serious Tool fan. The band encourages you to question yourself and your beliefs, but you don't have to dive into something like that. You can enjoy the music and not have to do a lot of research; music shouldn't turn into homework.

er...when did I say you did?

It just happens that I did, and the only reason I posted anything about the book/theories was because craigmac asked. If you read the review, I didn't talk about anything outside music and lyrics.

The JoZ
03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
I consider myself a serious fan of Tool, but I really don't get into the occult or the Enochian or some of the other stuff that surrounds Tool...*shrug* it's not necessary to enjoy, or even analyze the music

Bartender
03-15-2004, 02:42 PM
But did you know Aleister Crowley was?

The JoZ
03-15-2004, 04:52 PM
But did you know Aleister Crowley was?

Heard the name mentioned...I have no idea who he/she is :p

nyzfreakx01
03-15-2004, 06:51 PM
oh my god

Bartender
03-16-2004, 11:37 AM
^er, yeah, thanks for that...

Heard the name mentioned...I have no idea who he/she is :p

Fair enough...I just meant that most of the serious Tool fans I knew at the time (which was and still is lamentably few) all knew about the stuff the band liked. I looked into it a little, but never investigated it too deeply.

The JoZ
03-16-2004, 11:46 AM
^er, yeah, thanks for that...

Fair enough...I just meant that most of the serious Tool fans I knew at the time (which was and still is lamentably few) all knew about the stuff the band liked. I looked into it a little, but never investigated it too deeply.

Tool fans have gotten a bad rap by critics/idiots as being these overly intellectual people who dabble in all sorts of weird sh*t for the sake of being "weird" or "enlightened". I wouldn't mind looking more into the philosophies of Tool a bit more, but...it doesn't consume every fiber of my being like it does some Toolophiles

YDload
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Tool fans also get a bad rep because, in a twist of irony, their blind devotion to a band that praises open-mindedness means that they boo opening acts at Tool's shows (including Tomahawk and Meshuggah) and refuse to accept others' opinions that Tool is not the greatest band in history.

Yeah, I like Tool, but I have some grounding in reality too.

The JoZ
03-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Tool fans also get a bad rep because, in a twist of irony, their blind devotion to a band that praises open-mindedness means that they boo opening acts at Tool's shows (including Tomahawk and Meshuggah) and refuse to accept others' opinions that Tool is not the greatest band in history.

Yeah, I like Tool, but I have some grounding in reality too.

Yeah, that's another thing. Tool is not the greatest band in history...however they have had the greatest effect on my life, muscially, etc. So. Whoo. :cool:

YDload
03-16-2004, 04:49 PM
^Exactly. A great band, but not gods. I'm glad some people understand!

The JoZ
03-16-2004, 04:52 PM
^Exactly. A great band, but not gods. I'm glad some people understand!

I beg to differ. Danny is a god of drumming. Maynard is a demi-god of singing...and Adam and Justin are just damn good at what they do. :cool:

This, however, does not mean that there aren't other good bands. Tool is NOT the end-all

GooseFilms.net
05-06-2004, 06:58 PM
whos the asshole who gave it a 3.5?
This album kicks unmeasureable ***
5/5
if you dont have it, buy it

Dancin' Man
05-15-2004, 10:55 PM
I lvoe this CD. I'm too lazy to review it.

I created an acoustic version of lateralus for one guitar only. Very awesome but very different than the original.

The JoZ
05-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Whoa....must hear

Bartender
05-16-2004, 05:00 AM
^Yeah, any chance of a posting in the Audio Arena?

Dancin' Man
05-16-2004, 09:15 AM
I shall try, I need to borrow my bands recorder for it. lots of harmonics.

Lateralias
05-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I'd love to hear that acoustic version man... that would be very interesting...

This album is pure excellence, such a masterpeice. It lured me into Tool a while back and still to this day is in my top 5 favorite albums. Its dark in some areas, then its powerful and bold the next. Maynard really knows how to express his lyrics very well , Tick & Leeches for example. Also, me being a drummer.. I am a HUGE fan of Danny, I've learned how he plays and Ive developed some of his style into my own drumming, his drumming is so technical yet awesome, and as for Adam and Justin they just wouldn't be Tool without them.

5/5 for the best progressive metal album in my book.

The JoZ
05-16-2004, 10:11 PM
This is my favorite CD ever...because of the real songs, there are no bad moments at all...except one...where Triad is listed as being 8:46 but really ends at like 6:39 or something :upset:

OrbDragon
05-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Disposition/Reflection are good. I don't like the rest of the songs on this album.

menikmati
05-17-2004, 10:00 AM
apparently, Triad doesn't end there.

if you have an HDCD player, there are some hidden stuff or something. i dunno where i heard that, probably bull, but i know for definate it is a HDCD.

The JoZ
05-17-2004, 11:23 AM
I knew it was an HDCD but I dunno

Anyone have an HDCD player? Anyone want to test this out for us?

The NPC
05-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Good review but Tool is just a boring band.

Dancin' Man
05-17-2004, 08:59 PM
If you don't like them, write a review about it don't just say it.

The JoZ
05-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I hold no regard for that man's opinions, and neither should any of you

ToolOwnz
05-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Although Aenima will always be my favorite, but Lateralus is an unbelievable record. They showed great maturity in the composition/songrwriting, and I love their new grooves. Triad is one of the highlights music wise for me. Although all the songs are great, as are all Tool songs ive heard.

btw there is another show that I was at in Ft. Lauderdale that Tool played Ticks and Leeches live. They played it great (as per usual) and between that show and another one in tallahasse me and my brother have seen all of lateralus live.:thumb: There is a ****ty vid on kazaa somewhere of it.

My band did a version of the Patient. Its on our soundclick site
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm :thumb:

The JoZ
05-18-2004, 01:31 PM
I have said video of them doing T&L live

Poor quality, but it sounds like Maynard did a great job with it

Bartender
05-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I think I have the FT Lauderdale video of Ticks and Leeches as well, where they announce they're gonna play something special, as it's their last night being supported by Fantomas?

The JoZ
05-18-2004, 02:04 PM
I didn't think it was Fantomas they were being supported by...maybe though, it's been a while since I've watched it

But yeah, Maynard does say they were going to play something special for whoever was supporting them...something bout it never being played either...I think

EDIT: "This is the last show we're doing with our friends, Fantomas...so we wanted to dedicate a song to them that we don't normally do...it's called 'Buzz has a hairlift' :confused: ? "

Dancin' Man
05-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Ticks and Leeches has one of the few screams in all music I not only cna stand but enjoy. It's mixed perfectly to not come out above the music but be part of it and its not a crackly scream, its a smooth one (or as smooth as you can get).

ToolOwnz
05-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I didn't think it was Fantomas they were being supported by...maybe though, it's been a while since I've watched it

But yeah, Maynard does say they were going to play something special for whoever was supporting them...something bout it never being played either...I think

EDIT: "This is the last show we're doing with our friends, Fantomas...so we wanted to dedicate a song to them that we don't normally do...it's called 'Buzz has a hairlift' :confused: ? "

I think it was buzz has a hairlip, referring to Buzz Melvin of the Melvins. They were also on the tour, My fuzzy memory cant recall if the melvins were at that particular show, but i think they were. I saw them 4 times in Florida, with Fantomas, Melvins and Tomahawk opening. I know they played a tune for buzz's bday, might have been third eye.

Five Magics
06-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Lateralus is one of the best albums EVER created. as for my favourite song "THE GRUDGE" is clearly the best song.

Space Ace
06-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I love Triad its such an awesome instrumental song, I also like Parabola, maynard has excellent vocals,

great review :thumb:

christonastick
06-15-2004, 05:11 AM
Your review in my opinion gives all the credit that is due to Tool. I cannot wait for their new album to come out, I hope it is even more outstanding than Lateralus in both lyrical and instrumental aspects. Tool has done a true service to all true music fans by putting their heart and soul into their albums, this really shows on Lateralus. As for the sound at the beginning of The Grudge it reminds me of an elevator and as far as i know "Faaip de Oaid" does mean Voice of God.

Zappa
06-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Fans of earlier Tool be wary of this. While "├ćnima" and "Undertow" are excellent hard rock records, "Lateralus" is an exercise in how not to do progressive rock. There are 2 good songs, "Parabol/a" and "Lateralis," and that's all. The rest of the album is a snooze, a bunch of prententious artsy farts attempting progressive rock and falling about a mile short. The gimmicky time signatures, the long drawn out instrumental (read sparse and boring) passages, etc, it's all from the book prog. What they forgot is to apply these ideas to good music, like so many bands (like King Crimson, who they seem to be a bit obsessed with) have before them. They lack the maturity and singular vision to conceive an album like this, and it shows on all the tracks besides the 2 I mentioned. 2/5.

jacodrummer
06-16-2004, 04:36 AM
Being the first Tool album i owned, I have to say that it's a great album. Tool gives a great musical quality to everything they do. My personal favorite song would be Parabol/a being the song that caused me to buy this album it was so good. Great review and i agree with it all the way.

Kaden3
06-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Fans of earlier Tool be wary of this. While "├ćnima" and "Undertow" are excellent hard rock records, "Lateralus" is an exercise in how not to do progressive rock. There are 2 good songs, "Parabol/a" and "Lateralis," and that's all. The rest of the album is a snooze, a bunch of prententious artsy farts attempting progressive rock and falling about a mile short. The gimmicky time signatures, the long drawn out instrumental (read sparse and boring) passages, etc, it's all from the book prog. What they forgot is to apply these ideas to good music, like so many bands (like King Crimson, who they seem to be a bit obsessed with) have before them. They lack the maturity and singular vision to conceive an album like this, and it shows on all the tracks besides the 2 I mentioned. 2/5.
I see where you're coming from, and this is pretty much how I felt when I first got it. However, it's grown on me, and now I love it.

Bartender
06-16-2004, 03:42 PM
What were you banned for this time?

The JoZ
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Can either of you try and...support the 'bad prog' thing?

I think this is their most prog album

Bartender
06-16-2004, 03:58 PM
I don't think Zappa is denying it's a prog album, he's just saying it's a badly done prog album. I personally don't know/care whether it's prog or not (that's why I didn't name it prog in the title), I just know it's a rock/metal album that I really love.

The JoZ
06-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, I mean if it's just a disagreement on what prog is...meh...

Kaden3
06-16-2004, 08:54 PM
What were you banned for this time?
Posting in the "While the Mods Are Away" thread. Ironically, I was telling everyone who read it not to post in the thread. Guess I had to take one for the team...

Can either of you try and...support the 'bad prog' thing?

I think this is their most prog album
No one's saying this isn't a prog album...in fact, this is really their only album that is prog. I dunno if this is exactly what Zappa thinks, but what I thought at first was that the instrumental parts were very boring (like in Reflection....it's a good drum part, but it goes on way too long and nothing changes) and quite frankly, Triad is a boring instrumental. Also, I think they tried to make long songs for the sake of being "prog" and it didn't work out in most cases. Plus, the whole filler thing they do with both Aenima and Lateralus (I can't speak for the other two, as I haven't heard them) is totally lame. They're just trying to push the album to the time limits of what a single disc can hold, and it's a gimmick. It really seemed like they tried to be prog, when they really weren't good at it. That's how I felt at first, but now it's grown on me and I really like it (Aenima is still far superior, though).

The JoZ
06-16-2004, 11:01 PM
I admit there are parts that are longer than they should be. The opening solo in Triad is wicked, and I love the main beat...but after that, it does get boring. Reflection? Sure, the bass and drumlines may not change much, but to me, that song is about atmosphere, and the feeling of it. It's a huge feeling song. The whole 'see how much of the CD we can fill up deal' I don't feel is a gimmick, but filler tracks are. But if you look at it, Lateralus only had 2 filler tracks on it...and one was at the very end...

I mean, if you compare them to Dream Theater, yeah, they aren't changing every 5 bars...

But despite how good DT are, sometimes I think they change too just for the sake of it...

I really don't want to argue about this, because it seems that people conflict over the meaning of 'prog'...so...

Kaden3
06-16-2004, 11:11 PM
I really don't want to argue about this, because it seems that people conflict over the meaning of 'prog'...so...
Everyone agrees that it's prog.

The JoZ
06-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Everyone agrees that it's prog.

Not in R&M they don't...

I have had to defend Tool's prog-ness on more than one occasion in there

YDload
06-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I think Tool is way too popular for a prog band. "Prog" is one of those genres used for a band that is limited by how much mainstream success a band can garner, like "punk" or "death metal." Genres like that just don't have mainstream appeal.

The JoZ
06-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Dream Theater, Rush, Yes are all very popular too (or were)...are you going to deny them Prog status too?

Kaden
06-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I think Tool is way too popular for a prog band. "Prog" is one of those genres used for a band that is limited by how much mainstream success a band can garner, like "punk" or "death metal." Genres like that just don't have mainstream appeal.
Prog doesn't have to do with how popular it is. Like all genres, it's determined by the sound of the music.

Distorted Vision
06-21-2004, 04:16 PM
But to challenge that, prog doesn't really have a distinct sound of it's own.

In fact progressive means continuous change, so if there was a particular 'prog sound' that everyone had, the music wouldn't progress.

Kaden
06-21-2004, 04:21 PM

In fact progressive means continuous change, so if there was a particular 'prog sound' that everyone had, the music wouldn't progress.
That's true. I realize people have alot of differing opinions over what prog is, but I think we can all pretty much agree that it isn't decided based on mainstream popularity.

The JoZ
06-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Who said anything about Tool's popularity?

Kaden
06-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Who said anything about Tool's popularity?
YDload did, he said they're too popular to be prog.

The JoZ
06-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah I know that

I guess a better question should've been "What the hell does their popularity have to do with what genre they are?"

[EoN-BluE-ApocalypsE]
06-21-2004, 05:23 PM
There only really popular to people who have any sort of intrest in rock... i mean i walk into my school n go 'have yu heard of tool' id get more funny looks than responses..

Bartender
06-21-2004, 05:40 PM

That's just because the definition of prog has changed. Technically, it still means progressive, meaning trying something new in each song. With early prog bands, that's why they were called prog. But then bands which made the same type of music came along, and they were also labelled prog, so now there's really two different meanings for the same genre description - one meaning actually progressing and experimenting beyond what's already been done, and one meaning being as the prog blueprint has become. Dream Theater are a good example of a blueprint band - they're nowhere near being actually progressive.

YDload
06-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah I know that

I guess a better question should've been "What the hell does their popularity have to do with what genre they are?"

Well, in my mind the only difference between certain genres such as "punk" and "pop-punk" is that one of them is designated to a band that has gained POPularity. Prog bands such as Yes used to be popular, but nowadays it's not so common. I just think Tool is more of a hard rock band, and their first two albums were definitely not weird enough to cover their entire discography under the "prog" banner.

mexicanfloydian
06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
This album is a true masterpiece 5/5.
Great review

waxlabltabler
07-06-2004, 11:26 AM
This is my favorite CD ever...because of the real songs, there are no bad moments at all...except one...where Triad is listed as being 8:46 but really ends at like 6:39 or something :upset:

I think they count the minute or two that sits between Triad and the closing track (in negative time).

incubliss
07-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah I know that

an even better question is "why do people argue about what genre a band is?"

i really don't understand it, it's really annoying.

in my book, there are two genres, music you like, and music you don't. if only the world could be this simple.

back on topic.

this is my favourite Tool album aswell, and when they have finished with making the next album, hopefully they will tour UK again, and hopefully this time i will be able to see them. last time i missed out, and am still very annoyed at it.

the album itself, just has no end of great music. it's just supreme to the other albums IN MY OPINION, i just love this album. there isn't a bad song on the album. ok, Faaip De Oiad isn't that great, but still, it's quite eerie, and spooky at the same time.

it starts off with an awesome track, and i love the way Eon Blue Apocolypse easily makes the transition from The Grudge to The Patient, i think that's great.

i think there was a name for Disposition, Refelection and Triad, as they were going to be one song, i think it was going to be called Resolution, but i can't really confirm that info.

anyway, great album, probably my favourite of all time. it hasn't left my cd player since i bought the album, it's that damn good.

11/10

HeReTik
07-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Great album, nice review... Lateralus and The Patient are the songs I like the most now... And the bassline on Schism always amazes me... Just great

HeReTik
07-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh forgot to say .: 9.5/10

illuminati
07-25-2004, 09:46 AM
the greatest album i have ever been subjected too.

some awesome comments and a great review of a great album. i love it so much.

10/10

YDload
07-25-2004, 02:32 PM
I listened to this album for the first time in a while, and it was amazing. "Parabola" is definitely one of my top three songs of all time; I was almost moved to tears by it for some reason. Great album.

Dancin' Man
07-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Mine was in the car and someone put it on the floor and stepped on it. Now it's cracked and doesn't work. I am sad. Very sad.

Zappa
07-25-2004, 05:16 PM
That's just because the definition of prog has changed. Technically, it still means progressive, meaning trying something new in each song. With early prog bands, that's why they were called prog. But then bands which made the same type of music came along, and they were also labelled prog, so now there's really two different meanings for the same genre description - one meaning actually progressing and experimenting beyond what's already been done, and one meaning being as the prog blueprint has become. Dream Theater are a good example of a blueprint band - they're nowhere near being actually progressive.

To me, the idea of "progressive" rock, means "progressive" as in progressing from theme to theme, style to style, etc within the context of a single song. That's why so many bands labelled progressive write insanely long songs, or songs with several movements. That's how they flesh out the progression.

Mekkalayakay
07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
This album is brilliant. My rating is a 5/5 Very well written.

IvortheEngineDriver
08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
To me, this is the epitome of a perfect album...music doesn't get much better than this....

I agree with YDLoad...Parabol always kinda gets me emotional...as well as Reflection, but Reflection more *tear

Great **** album!!!! :thumb:

adamjonesisgod
09-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Great review..... This is one of the best albums i've ever heard. It is dark in some places, but also shows hope when youv'e sunk to the lowest you can get. It is a masterpiece and will surely go down as one of the greats(at least in my book it will=)...................5/5 perfect

Iai
09-04-2004, 05:27 PM
To me, the idea of "progressive" rock, means "progressive" as in progressing from theme to theme, style to style, etc within the context of a single song. That's why so many bands labelled progressive write insanely long songs, or songs with several movements. That's how they flesh out the progression.

Prog's one of those fancy non-genres that gets tossed around and will probably never be defined (I've heard The Coral and Elbow described as prog, ferchriss'sakes), but that's how I see it too.

This space used to say how much I love Lateralus. Eh, I'm kinda bored of it now. Still a couple of genius songs on there, but it's massively over-rated.

kurrpt
10-28-2004, 07:48 AM
good review, the only problem i have with it is that you rated the patient 4/5 and triad 4/5. If i were you, id seriously give them a better thought. LIke you said they are not the kind that slap you in the face when you first listen. But after a month or 2, those are the ones that seem like gems.

PeEpHoLe_10
10-30-2004, 06:07 AM
To me, this is the epitome of a perfect album...music doesn't get much better than this....

I agree with YDLoad...Parabol always kinda gets me emotional...as well as Reflection, but Reflection more *tear

Great **** album!!!! :thumb:

:eek: that is the exact same thing as me. Reflection just has something about it thats get me all emotional.

YDload
10-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Reflection? Meh. I'm all for good bass riffs, but not when they're repeated SIX THOUSAND TIMES! And although the guitar solo is Adam's usual Gilmour-esque slow piece, it's not as emotional as Parabola's.

SomewhatDamaged
10-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Lateralus is definately one of my favorite albums. I love everything about it. :)

PeEpHoLe_10
11-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Reflection? Meh. I'm all for good bass riffs, but not when they're repeated SIX THOUSAND TIMES! And although the guitar solo is Adam's usual Gilmour-esque slow piece, it's not as emotional as Parabola's.

Well, i was mainly talking about the lyrics or really just how maynard sings in the song.

brak_jb_page
11-02-2004, 09:24 AM
This was my first Tool album, and when I first got it I didn't like it. I love it now, however, I guess it just needed some time to sink in. Yeah, great album, great band. I don't think that this is their best album,though. Tool has evolved with each release. On Opiate, they were raw and angry. Pure metal. On Undertow, they got a little less raw and they had a message. On Aenima, they got more "progressive", and closer to this album. The playing was awesome, the songs were all awesome, and, yet again we have a "big picture" behind all of the music. Then comes this album, which enough has been said in this thread about already. Which makes me think that the next Tool album will be even more different, and even further away from what popular music is today. So, I guess my point is that, each Tool album is too unique in it's own right to simply name one the best.

Wanker
11-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Best. Album. Ever.

Oh, and good review too. :thumb:

dirge for november
11-23-2004, 12:32 AM
that was a sweet review. i agree with it.

ok lateralus
11-24-2004, 04:10 PM
My favorite Tool album, definitely. The atmosphere on this album is just amazing. I've had it for 3 years and I can't get enough of it. Parabola and Lateralus are great songs.
5/5

x the patient x6
11-24-2004, 04:22 PM
i could say the saaaaaame thing here, and in the offical thread 900000 times, but ill save it for once here...

its good, i like it...alot, im fact i listened to it today...its solid, no cracks or leaks, just Tool doing what Tool does, in a good way...ok later

playwithfire
11-25-2004, 11:30 PM
I think this is an awesome album, definitely some of my favorite listening. I prefer Carey's style to Portnoy's any day. I love Dream Theater, but I love Tool even more. I would say the stand out tracks on this album are definitely the title track and Parabola. However there are others of course. Schism is hard not to love because the bass is so catchy, and Maynards voice at the end when he says "between supposed lovers" is so musical. Ticks & Leeches I'm addicted to for the excellent drumming, and how incredible Maynard's voice sounds. The whole album is great, but when you listen to it lots, there are a few parts that seem dragged out for no real reason. I give this album a 4.5 out of 5.

manuscriptreplica
11-26-2004, 12:28 AM
There's far too many 5/5 ratings in this thread, 3/5 at best, Aenima is way better

Iai
11-26-2004, 01:28 PM
/agrees with manuscriptreplica

Phunphone
11-26-2004, 02:22 PM
The idea of having something like 4 powerchords on an 8 minute song and having guitar in the song just for the sake of heaviness doesn't appeal to me. Tool is a rhythm based band, and me, being an armony and melody whore, couldn't appreciate it. Drumming is great in this cd. (Especially on the song Ticks & Leeches). But the rest sounded pretty bland and unoriginal to me. Maybe I need a couple more listens; but I've listened to this cd atleast 5- 6 times at the moment.

But I admit, Parabola is such a good song.

In case I turn back crying "A masterpiece!!!!" like most of you guys did, no rating.

DekWannaBFlea
11-26-2004, 02:29 PM
I ripped this cd from one of my friends and the first time I was exposed to tool. All i can say is overrated but good. It is not the best thing ever and It definately takes being in a certain mood to listen to it.

3.5/5.0

manuscriptreplica
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Parabol/Parabola is a great song, but it doesn't make the rest of the album great

Dancin' Man
11-26-2004, 08:45 PM
I beg to differ. I still love this album. It's the perfect record for this reason - It is easy to listen to without being simplistic or boring. It has appeals of pop and of prog.

The JoZ
11-26-2004, 08:56 PM
This album is better for songs like The Grudge, Schism, Parabol/Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, and Reflection.

Aenima has good songs, but honestly, they are not the caliber of the Lateralus songs, with the exception of Third Eye. And this album has less annoying filler on it, as well.

EonBlueApocalypse
11-28-2004, 04:58 PM
this is the first tool album i bought, followed by every other one, and it took me a few listens, but it just blew me away. It's one of those albums that you can listen to from end to end and not get bored of. everything just seems to flow perfectly, a very enjoyable listen. in my opinoin one if not the best tool release yet. Adam is still churning out amaziong riffs and good solos, maynard still has an amazing voice, danny's drumming is still as technical and impossibly hard to play as ever, and the bass presence is still strong and forceful. now to the lengthy track by track review.

1. The Grudge (10/10)

an amazing opening track, powerful from beginning to end, top to bottom. tool has an excellent way of building up momentem and ripping out at the end of songs, and this is no exception. Maynards voice is simply amazing, he pulls off a 30 second scream near the end of it. The guitars, the drumming, the bass-everything falls into place perfectly. The lyrics also, sarturn 1 or 10, has a whole secret message behind it, as does almost every song on the album , which makes things that more interesting. (i suggest The Tool Page for more info)

2. Eon Blue Apocalypse (8/10)

you're sking me now "why 8/10? its just a filler/intro type track"

well, this is my review and i like the song. it just is so melodic and sounds so excellent, and runs perfectly into the patient, i couldn't bring myself to give it anyhting less. also a very cool title (see my user name :thumb: ) little tidbit of info for you-eon blue is also the name of adam's dog. very cool.

3. The Patient (10/10)

one of my favorite tool songs of all time, easily one of the most melodic. the guitar work in this is some of adam's best in my opinoin, the multi-layered melodies work perfectly with maynards voice, the bass is flawless, and the drumming is friggin increadible. this is one of those songs where absolutely everything works into place with another, just a simply amazing song. every riff in this is great, as are the lyrics, and maynard's stab at singing melodically through the whole song works in beautifully.

4. Mantra (5/10)

sorta a non-track, intro to schism. interesting point-the sounds on this song is a slowed down and processed sample of a cat being squeezed by maynard. it sounded so weird that he recorded it and put it on the cd. also, mantra means "sounds/music that enhance meditation"

5. Schism (9.5/10)

i would love to give this song a 10/10, but the only flaw is it's repeditive-ness and extremely long mid section. other then that it is flawless. even though the opening riff that is repeated throughout the entire song is indefinatly one of the best sounding tool has ever came out with, they play it over and over again. also 2 minutes of the second riff with bass effects on the backround can become tedious, but pays off in the breakdown-more high energy and simply amazing guitar/bass work. an awesome song, also probably the most played song through media sources.

6. Parabol (6/10)

this song would be better if it was easier to hear. everything is sorta just blurred together and in the backround, but once again it's an intro track to that of parabola. it has a good leadup to parabola, with the slowly hightening distortion.

7. Parabola (9/10)

the second single off the album, another great song. its more straightforward then most of the other songs on this cd, more rock less prog, has a great solo in it as well as excellent and catchy riffs. very accessable and easy to listen to, well structured and played by the members.

8. Ticks and Leeches (10/10)

this is reminicent of undertow era angst and rage not seen since aenema's hooker with a *****. a very powerful track, with more great and memorable riffs by adam (as always), the bass having a little less presence then on other tracks. Maynard also busts out the screams that we can only remeber from opiate, a very nice touch to the anger ridden song. (they don't perform the song live however, becuase when maynard sung it for the studio cut, he threw out his voice for nearly 3 weeks.) another gem for tool.

9. Lateralus (10/10)

one word-masterpiece. this is the most definative tool song since third eye. everything in this song is amazing. the guitar into is great, the riffing throughout the whole song is awesome, the soloing is unparalled to anything else off this album, the song structure works great....easily one of if not the highlight of the album. this also ties in with the fibbonacci sequence theory with lateralus, every line of the lyrics follow the pattern with syllibles. (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13) a great, great tool song, that digs deeper then most others.

10. Disposition (10/10)

even though it isn't really a centerpiece for the album, i frekaing love this song. its the single most calming piece of music i've ever listened to. i could be wishing nueclear holocaust upon all of you, and listen to this song, and i'd be fine. its the most beautiful and melodic song tool has ever done in my opinoin. adam uses multi-layered guitar work again, and the bass line is also amazing. a different style of drumming also comes into play here. a very underrated tool song.

11. Reflection (8/10)

a very good song if you have the patience to sit through it. the only things that stand out is maynard's great voice, danny's incredible opening drum sequence, and it has a great chorus melody, interesting effects and instruments. enjoyable to those who like the more prog less rock type tool. nonetheless a very good track.

12. triad (7/10)

all guitars here, nothing special. just 6 and a half minutes of adam riffing with power chords, (something to do with the fs i believe). more info for the reader-disposition, reflection and triad were origionally supposed to be 1 track, why they changed it, i don't know.

13. Faaip de Oiad (5/10)

a sorta creepy track, just staticy noise and drums over a phone call sample of maynard claiming to be from area 51 and discussing aliens, government conspiracy, so on and so forth. very creepy to listen to. more info-faaip de oiad means "the voice of god" in enochian.

this is one of my all time favorite albums, not only from tool , but from all artists ever. this is in my opinoin a masterpiece, a true work of art in this day and age. you can also read into the album a lot more with theories about the fibbonacci sequence and such, which make the album a helluva a lot more interesting. i suggest the tool page (fansite) if you choose to look into anything tool.

simply amazing. 10/10

The JoZ
11-28-2004, 05:01 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129609

You're just a *little* late.

EonBlueApocalypse
11-28-2004, 05:16 PM
ahh dammit...well, i tried

Kaden
11-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Hahahahaa What A Failure

Bartender
11-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Threads merged. Check the List next time, please.

wanker_2
11-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I just can't believe he gave Parabola a 9/10 :eek:

The JoZ
11-28-2004, 07:05 PM
I can't believe he gave Reflection an 8...

manuscriptreplica
11-28-2004, 07:22 PM
9. Lateralus (10/10)

one word-masterpiece. this is the most definative tool song since third eye.

I beg to differ, something like Aenema or Stinkfist are definitive Tool

TheRooster
11-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Dannay Carey owns.

TheRooster
11-28-2004, 08:18 PM
i like the song Ticks and Leeches mainly because of the drums...Schism is my alltime fav tool song...but i love the whole album.

The JoZ
11-28-2004, 08:44 PM

Well, it defines their sound now.

Honestly, you cannot really have a 'definitive' Tool song, IMO, because their sound has changed quite a bit as the years have passed.

manuscriptreplica
11-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Maybe if they released a CD more often than every half a decade there would be... heh

Master101
11-29-2004, 04:34 AM
[FONT=Century Gothic]I think that lateralis , followed by parabola are the best songs on the album.
By the way , has any one heard the new perfect circle album? get back to me on this :lol: :)

Bartender
11-29-2004, 05:04 AM

Well he did say since Third Eye, which presumably excludes Aenema and Stinkfist.

The JoZ
11-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Maybe if they released a CD more often than every half a decade there would be... heh

Yeah.

I mean, you can have like one song to define each 'era' so to say...

Pre-Aenima, Aenima and Lateralus.

But with the release of the new album, you'll have to add Post-Lateralus as well

Ahh well.

Third Eye would probably be a good bet for them even today. It's long, it's full of weird sounds, superb drumming, very cool basslines, two great solos by Adam, and Maynard shifting between screaming his lungs out to quiet, whisper-like vocals.

:thumb:

Syncratic
12-08-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm almost done listening to this ENTIRE album online..and I'm hooked...I've already heard Faaip De Oiad, but its good for a scare.

Happymeal
12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Well this is one of the albums that got me into music in the first place so..

Kage
12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I can't believe he gave Reflection an 8...

I know... a great review until I saw that.

suspectofsubtlety
12-09-2004, 12:29 AM
"Tool is a rhythm based band, and me, being an armony and melody whore, couldn't appreciate it."

What?!??!

TOOL is full of melody!! Just becuase the first part of the grudge is a bit jarring, doesnt mean its heavy all the way trhrough and its not. The middle section has great, melody.

Allthough i do agree that the rythm element is alot stronger than most contemporar music, but that's just cos danny carey is a genious.

spiritualguitarist
12-12-2004, 07:54 AM
i agree that The Grudge is an amazing song. the way that Danny carries that song is just fantastic and Maynard's 23 second scream is mind boggling

Phunphone
12-12-2004, 08:37 AM
TOOL is full of melody!! Just becuase the first part of the grudge is a bit jarring, doesnt mean its heavy all the way trhrough and its not. The middle section has great, melody.

Thank you, I've listened to the album enough to realize that The Grudge is not the same all the way through; you didn't have to explain me that.

Try to hum a Tool song along with Adam Jones' riffs. Even Adam Jones himself admits that they're not something that can get stuck inside your head:

http://archive.guitarplayer.com/archive/artists/tool.shtml

But I'm starting to enjoy the album more... it somehow manages to chill me out. I know, it is weird that I listen to progressive metal to chill out. I like the fact that the cd has a spiritual wholeness.

Shadius
12-12-2004, 08:56 AM
Tool's music has the kind of slow, long melodies in it that can sometimes take a while to trully appreciate. Something about their songs always has some kind of melody, whether it be the vocals, the guitar, the bass, whatever. Yet the rhythm of the band is definately their strong point, and the "texture" of the music.

Dancin' Man
12-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Try to hum a Tool song along with Adam Jones' riffs. Even Adam Jones himself admits that they're not something that can get stuck inside your head:

The Lateralus riffs are always in my head. And the Schism bass. And the grudge theme. I think you are purposely trying to disagree.

r_whitcomb
12-12-2004, 09:53 AM
yeah aenima too is always going through my head and schism

Phunphone
12-12-2004, 11:23 AM
The Lateralus riffs are always in my head. And the Schism bass. And the grudge theme. I think you are purposely trying to disagree.

Nah, I really do find them hard to hum along to...and I forget most of'em quite easily. I'm not telling that NOTHING is melodic by Tool. There has to be. Without melody, you can't create music. Tool has a melody, and keeps it constant throughout a song. The songs progress without having a strong chance in melody. They are usually simple, and have rhythm/ tempo changes instead of direct melody changes. It's a nice way of progressing, but it doesn't strike me. After all, Adam Jones' guitarwork just don't inspire me. It's personal opinion.

Do I hate Tool? No. I somehow prefer APC.

Libertine`88
12-13-2004, 05:15 AM
Tool are one of the worlds greatest bands, no question

Good review

Dancin' Man
12-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Tool are one of the worlds greatest bands, no question

Good review

Bad post.

Anyhoo, a teacher of mine saw Tool during the Lateralus tour in Binghampton, NY with Meshuggah. Apparently Thomas Haake played with Tool for a few songs. I want live footage so. so. so badly. AJIG, can you help?

Robot Food
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I love Tool and I most definitely agree with your 5/5- very nice review :thumb:
This is, quite possibly, my favorite Tool CD.

The JoZ
12-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Bad post.

Anyhoo, a teacher of mine saw Tool during the Lateralus tour in Binghampton, NY with Meshuggah. Apparently Thomas Haake played with Tool for a few songs. I want live footage so. so. so badly. AJIG, can you help?

I believe he played with them for "Triad" but I could be wrong...

Adam Jones is GOD
12-14-2004, 04:25 AM
Bad post.

Dammit, now i want live footage of that. i dont think there is any around though, and although there have been other great musicians on stage with tool, that still sounds like one of the better

Well, maybe not as good as Aloke

Dancin' Man
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Aloke?

Educate me.

The JoZ
12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Aloke Dutta, Danny's tabla teacher.

Played with them on the Salival version of Pushit.

Adam Jones is GOD
12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Incidentally, for those who live in the vicinity of the LA clubs, has anyone ever seen Aloke perform on his own? Im always reading of these sessions he runs throughout LA. Although im guessing that there are no LA mxers reading this

kurrpt
12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
I love the wah pedal work on parabola. If it wasnt for that, i dont know how id feel about that song

Turkish
12-15-2004, 01:32 AM
Aloke Dutta, Danny's tabla teacher.

Played with them on the Salival version of Pushit.

I love that song so much

Good review, can't help but give a perfect score for a perfect album :thumb:

My songs would def. have to be The Grudge, Parabol/Parabola, and Lateralus.

incubliss
12-15-2004, 09:08 AM
There's far too many 5/5 ratings in this thread, 3/5 at best, Aenima is way better

Dictionary reference term for Subjective.

a) Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external
world: a subjective decision.

b) Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.

manuscriptreplica
12-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Dictionary reference term for Subjective.

a) Proceeding from or taking place in a person's mind rather than the external
world: a subjective decision.

b) Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.

* it has a 5/5 it had better be mindblowingly good. A must own... even outside of the genre. Something that could change the opinion of someone who didnt like the genre.
* A 4/5 would be Exceptional within the Genre. Something good for introducing someone to the genre but probably wouldnt change their mind about it.
* 3/5 would be something someone who likes the genre should probably pick up.
* 2/5 would be something someone who is diehard for the genre should at least know about.
* 1/5 terrible, terrible stuff..

Since Bartender labelled it in the Rock/metal genre, this CD is certainly not mindblowingly good, a must own, and it certainly wouldn't change someone's opinion on rock/metal if they hated it