PDA

View Full Version : (Indie) Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

RollerQueen
11-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Artist: Coheed and Cambria
Album: In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Claudio Sanchez - Vocals/Guitar
Travis Stever - Guitar
Michael Todd - Bass
Joshua Eppard - Drums

Before listening to the music, you should know the background behind this project. Coheed and Cambria was originally named Shabutie (what Claudio says before "Devil in Jersey City" on Second Stage Turbine Blade) and the albums are not albums in a traditional sense. Like Pink Floyd, Cursive, and such, Coheed and Cambria create concept records. The similarity mostly ends at that surface. CoCa's work thus far has been written as part of a science fiction story that lead singer Claudio Sanchez is working out as we speak. There is no end to the story as of yet and the albums are merely parts. The music itself is equally inspired by punk and metal. One could say that CoCa is indie's version of prog, but that would be entirely wrong. The songs are structured to provide maximum effect at all times, with equal vocal inflection and instrumental intensity. It is also mostly guitar-driven. Now, onto the music itself.

As the lyrics are part of a story, I will not comment on them specifically.

The Ring in Return - This serves as an introductory piece. A telephone rings. Footsteps are heard and a woman answers the phone. From there, a piano interlude is played, a piece that will be familiar to those who have heard Second Stage Turbine Blade.

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 - The first track proper. It starts with guitar and tension grows as a feedback-esque background riff is played. The drums come in, subtly. Then the metal riffing comes, continuing through the verse, as the drums become more powerful. If you've never heard Claudio's voice until now, it will become immediately recognizable and, despite it's high pitch, fits the music very well. Minimal background screaming accompanies the chorus. A solo caps off the first part and then the beginning of the song is recapitulated, returning to the chorus (complete with anthemic "oh-oh-oh-oh"s) and ending the song. It is a strong proper song to set up the rest of the album, especially after the opener.

Cuts Marked in the March of Men - Starts off with a riff that sounds like it's taken from a Castlevania soundtrack. This and the preceding track are mostly somber, lyrically, but the music truly drives it from becoming too much of a downer. Not the best track on the album, but still very good. The verse riff is memorable.

Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow) - A more pop-punk influenced song. It's infectious, using instrumentation that should not be unfamiliar to anyone who's ever heard a pop-punk song. Don't get the wrong assumption, though. CoCa manages to keep the song strong lyrically. Also, the end part is likely to get stuck in your head for a while, moreso than even the other parts. Excellent use of backup vocals. The juxtaposition of this with the next track is delightful.

The Crowing - Driving guitars, bass, and drums set this song off. The chorus sets off the metal-influence with arpeggiated chords and light riffing to match the wistful lyrics/singing. The second half gets more intense and very metallic, complete with palm-muted riffing and pinch harmonic repetition, setting up another vocal display on top. A spacey feeling throughout another interlude, with a slight ATDI feel. The end comes first as an uncertain part, but then turns into a threatening revenge for the rest of the song, especially vocally.

Blood Red Summer - Another juxtaposition of styles. A very bouncy song where the bass and lead mix up with each other in a surf-like fashion, octaved by guitar while the rhythm chugs along. The style is familiar but fresh at the same time. Backup vocals work well, mostly. The bridge is another part likely to get stuck in your head after a listen or two. It sounds like CoCa suddenly turned into a teenage Cheap Trick tribute band, but not in a bad way. Some may be turned off by this song, but that's all a matter of stylistic preference. CoCa makes a habit of matching its two strong points of being catchy and intense.

The Camper Velourium I: Faint of Heart - Another riffy song. It's catchy in its own right but is also a slight song of longing. One of the less memorable moments on the album and I have little to say about it.

The Camper Velourium II: Backend of Forever - The drums punctuate the power chords in the intro while the lead guitar palm mutes somewhat menacingly, with the vocals matching the intensity. You can feel the insanity building up throughout the duration of this song in the vocals, lyrics, and instrumentation.

The Camper Velourium III: Al the Killer - This is where everything is unleashed lyrically. A slight piano part introduces the madness. The lead vocals are entirely backed by an insane, deeper tone doubling the words. The prechorus makes use of distanced screaming, as does the "response" part of the chorus. A highlight of the album, this song is perfectly devious and the instrumentation works incredibly well with the lyrics.

A Favor House Atlantic - More lighthearded than the previous song, it sports another catchy chorus and a nod to early metal in the verse. The drums are bombastic in parts and simply another part of the soundscape in others. Another good track.

The Light & The Glass - Much more laidback and quiet than any of the other tracks, even the introductory track. It has a certain lullaby-like quality until it drifts away to where the distortion kicks in in a nice transition. Even the Alannis Morissette-like "Liar" part fits in very well when the song returns to its lullaby-like beginnings for a moment, then picks back up where the distortion left off. More metallicness comes around the five-minute mark. The song then dies off in a keyboard drone as the voices echo away appropriately, again recapitulating the piano part from the intro, this time on a synth-xylophone.

2113 - The secret track! Number 23 on the cd, it encompasses much of the musical ground of CoCa. The bass has a dark mood to it, further exposing the malignant vocals as the lead guitar plays repetitive fills. That turns into another poppish-part, which then turns into a slow, menacing part. A lighthearted guitar part randomly appears, which also turns dark. This pattern continues until the very end. Again, for those familiar with Second Stage Turbine Blade will recognize the very end of this song. At a running time of 9:46, this song summarizes the musical territory of the entire album.

Wow, that was a long review...

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 is another expectedly vibrant release from Coheed and Cambria. Anyone into intense lyricism and nigh-perfect instrumentation should give this a try.

Final Rating: 4/5. Some lyrics were a bit blasé and the instrumentation wasn't entirely original. Still, an excellent album and a worthy follow-up to their first cd.

korn_field
11-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Fantastic review. I just got the chance to see CoCa last Thursday (With Thursday and Thrice) and they were as expected, amazing. Fantastic review. SSTB was a great album, as this one is. Keep up the good work.

-Mike

Ganondorf
11-25-2003, 11:22 AM
I wanna get that album now

Moroii
11-26-2003, 11:18 PM
All of Roller Queen's reviews are good and really detailed. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

lethal dose
01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
that was a good review. Coheed and Cambria are a great band, i love claudio's voice.

i love you taryn
05-11-2004, 04:43 AM
Fantastic review. I just got the chance to see CoCa last Thursday (With Thursday and Thrice) and they were as expected, amazing. Fantastic review. SSTB was a great album, as this one is. Keep up the good work.

-Mike

whoa, you are so lucky. i wanna see them live soooo much. I live in australia so that'll probably never happen... i saw thursday once though, they were awesome live.

Sep
05-11-2004, 05:28 AM
Great review man! :thumb:
The Crowing is such a fantastic song, if they only sold this album where i live... :upset:

DFelon204409
05-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Great review man! :thumb:
The Crowing is such a fantastic song, if they only sold this album where i live... :upset:

Buy it from www.interpunk.com

DFelon204409
05-11-2004, 12:04 PM
whoa, you are so lucky. i wanna see them live soooo much. I live in australia so that'll probably never happen... i saw thursday once though, they were awesome live.

Umm, considering they're signed to Columbia Records now, I think they'll be everywhere.

SubtleDagger
05-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I think I might prefer Turbine Blade to this one, but I'll have to see.

DFelon204409
05-11-2004, 01:20 PM
There are different feels to each of these albums. The most recent one is far more epic and overtly prog/pop while the first one seems more post-hardcore and riff-oriented.

RollerQueen
05-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Wow! Nothing like a thread coming back from the dead.

They seem to be getting bigger now, though. I was flipping the channels a few months ago and they had the "The Devil In Jersey City" video on MTV2's "Headbanger's Ball". Just last night, the video for "A Favor House Atlantic" was on the REAL MTV. It's almost frightening.

They're decent live. If you're looking for a band that nails the album absolutely perfect, you'll be disappointed. Claudio regularly shies from the microphone when he's playing and lets the crowd scream out for him, but he can still do the tight riffing while singing, too. I saw them a few weeks ago at the Troc in Philly and they did an encore jam of "Everything Evil" which was excellent.

And DFelon's right. The sound's much more diverse on this album. SSTB had the same general feel to a lot of the songs which helped the album feel more like a one-sitting experience (even if the second track starts with a drum beat very reminiscient of ATDI). This album covers more ground. The Cheap Trick-esque "Blood Red Summer", the metallic "Al The Killer" and the pop-punkish "A Favor House Atlantic" are good tracks in their own right but none sound too out of place in the order of the album or in concern to the story.

Sorry to be shoveling a ton of praise on CoCa, but it seems that they're an accessable band. I have a friend who only listens to heavily-distorted hardcore, thinks Every Time I Die is "whiney" and only goes to shows to punch people in the face or spinkick a row of people and he digs them. I'm just spreading the love. :thumb:

El Gran Orgo
05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Be careful when singing along to CoCa. My voice is noticably higher from singing along all the time. :S

TMA
05-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Beautifully done man, beautifully done. CoCa is one of the greatest bands ever, and IKSSE:3 is one of the greatest albums of all time. I've only really been interested in CoCa for about 2 months, but I've already become a Hardcore fan and can't wait to see them on Warped Tour this year. Plus their gonna be selling (for the first time) the Comic-Book version of SSTB on the tour, and there isn't a chance in hell that I'm not gonna buy it.
BTW, your reviews you made on each track were perfect. I fell that same way about all of those songs. However, I'm not entirly sure if you were saying that you liked Three Evils and Blood Red Summer or not... personally, I love them both.

YDload
05-12-2004, 05:18 PM
There was a video for one of their songs on MTV; I think it was "Favor House Atlantic." I was surprised by the light-heartedness and fun of the video because I thought this was another one of those high-concept indie bands that takes itself very seriously. Still, I was a bit annoyed by the singer's voice, not the kind of high-pitched that you'd find from Geddy Lee or Cedric Bixler, but slightly more of an AFI voice that I don't like.

RollerQueen
05-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Yeah that video caught me off guard, too. They're not so serious live. Their driver (?), an obese guy, came out to play the cowbell during "The Faint of Heart". They seem like another intense band with the lyrics and the music but they really just have fun live.

Besides, can you really be intimidated by a guy as big as Claudio when he sings that high?

TMA
05-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Mabey...

YDload
07-02-2004, 10:32 PM
I downloaded "Faint of Heart" off of WinMX, and it's a good song. I wanted "The Crowing" because the CDNow sample sounded intriguing.

I like this band. Their video shows they have a sense of humor (a must for bands I listen to), and even though they sound like emo, they have good guitar work. That's what makes them unique, and being unique is another big deal for me. Maybe I'll even buy this album, that's how good it sounds!

YDload
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
NOW I'm listening to "The Crowing," and it's great! I need more metal in my emo anyway (because I still don't like emo).

CommieCanada
07-02-2004, 10:47 PM
crap, i wanted to review this album.

coheed and cambria IMO are easily one of the best acts out there today. awesome album. it ranks as one of my favorites of all time

unknownsk8er88
07-02-2004, 11:11 PM
crap, i wanted to review this album.

coheed and cambria IMO are easily one of the best acts out there today. awesome album. it ranks as one of my favorites of all time

Same here i was just about too review it but then i found this one

CommieCanada
07-02-2004, 11:25 PM
:lol: same here

unknownsk8er88
07-02-2004, 11:29 PM
This is my favorite band. I recently started hearing them a couple months ago. My friend introduced me to it. Once i heard A Favor House Atlantic and The Crowing i started liking Co&Ca. Then i heard this whole album and i could never stop listening to them.
Some of my other friend think it sucks but I dont give a sh*t what they say i like it and thats all that matters. I can't wait till i buy their first album this week. :thumb:

Coheed and Cambria rules!

mabba
07-02-2004, 11:54 PM
great review. the first time i heard this band i wanted to hate them so much. but then they grew on me, Claudio's voice fits the music very well. he could have opted to just scream like so many other bands, but instead he uses his voice to its full potential making this band a cut above the rest. this is a group of amazingly talented musicians. the first cd is really good too. can't wait to see em live again.

RollerQueen
07-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah I heard "Devil in Jersey City" from their last album when it came out and I couldn't STAND it but my friend recommended their new album when it came out and I've been hooked since. Sorry for beating you guys to the punch, but this review's been up since November. It's never a problem to submit your own reviews so long as they stay in the thread, though. I'm glad you all enjoyed.

Claudio is a respectable lyricist and guitarist. If you can get past the vocals, there's not much to dislike about the band unless you hate metal mixing with pop punk. I'm glad you're digging them, Wideload.

Kif
07-03-2004, 05:18 AM
The Ring In Return scares the crap out of me. Other than that, this album is amazing. The lyrics are pretty good in most of the songs, and the riffs are catchy too

xfragiletimex
07-03-2004, 11:45 AM
I love this album but when I saw them at Warped on thurs. I was really dissapointed. Maybe if Claudio got in better shape to tour they would be better live. He seems to lose his breath really easily while he is singing so he ends up only singing about 70% of the song. I am sorry to say that they had the worst performance at Warped. As for the album it gets a 11/10. If you want to check some good live check out either Flogging Molly or the masters of punk rock itself BAD RELIGION.

Sep
07-03-2004, 01:09 PM
I bought the album of Amazon, as Interpunk doesn't seem to ship to Oman. It's really great, I hope to pick up SSTB this summer too.

CommieCanada
07-03-2004, 03:19 PM
if anyone here is curious about the story in the lyrics, i made a thread explaining them in the pop-punk forum

YDload
07-03-2004, 05:51 PM
This is a really unique band, and I'd love to get the album eventually. Sort of like prog-emo or indie-metal. Or how about "emo but with good guitars and drums and also the lyrics are about something other than the singer's self-important personal problems!"

Billy
07-03-2004, 07:14 PM
blasé*¡nd

whats that japanese letteR? anyways...very good cd, i like CoCa very much. the lead singers voice is cool

squee333
07-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Great review, very descriptive. The one part I disagree with you on is your opinion on Faint of Hearts. I thought it was a great song, hilarious live (the RV driver was awesome!)
Oh well. I saw them live, and yes, Claudio does run out of breath a lot, but he plays some hard stuff while singing, so I can't really blame him (You know that palm-muted riff on Backend of Forever? That's Claudio playing!! And the harder riff on FoH and Everything Evil, too)

Other than that though, they were great live. In Keeping Secrets was awesome live, they had the crowd chanting along when they repeated the intro and everything. Blood Red Summer, I don't think one person wasn't singing along for that song, and the jam thing on Everything Evil was great! They're probably my favorite band right now, and one of my favorite bands of all time.

I liked SSTB more than this at first, but this album grew on me and now I can't stop listening to it. Plus the solo at the end of The Light in the Glass is amazing.

And the Favor House Atlantic video is probably my 2nd favorite of all time (Next to Weezer's Keep Fishin' video, of course)

TrailOfTragedy
07-03-2004, 09:47 PM
I doubt I'll buy any Coheed album because I can't stand the voice, but I'll pick up his book when it's finished.

Luxor
07-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Great review, I've been listening to this album a lot lately, it's awesome. I plan to pick up their first sometime soon.

RollerQueen
07-03-2004, 10:13 PM
whats that japanese letteR? anyways...very good cd, i like CoCa very much. the lead singers voice is cool

Again, this thread comes back from the dead!

Blasé meaning nothing too special. This review was done before I knew what I know now about the story and, as I said, I wasn't going to comment on that. Did I break my word? In any case, I fixed the Japanese character so it should look like an "e" with an accent mark over it. If it doesn't, now you know that it should.

As for the lyrical content, it is nice to hear a band sometimes labeled as "emo" to have such good lyrics, especially with their poppier songs. "Three Evils..." has some messed up lyrics but you'd never know if you were just listening to it and bopping along. Kudos to the band for that.

squee333, you were at the Philly Troc show? That was pretty nifty, seeing that big guy hitting that cowbell to his heart's content. I don't think what he plays gets him THAT out of breath. I do a lotta CoCa when I'm jamming around the house and riffing while singing doesn't get me out of breath. His ability to play stuff like "Everything Evil" and whatnot is impressive, though (too bad the acoustic mp3 is such bad quality). He probably just has a lot of fun on stage so he doesn't sing perfectly. It is hard to play and sing and rock out 100% all at the same time, I will say that.

And I rescind any ill-natured words about this album. Every song is great. I don't know why I didn't like "The Faint of Heart" when I first reviewed it. I love it now. The review remains a strong 4/5, but I officially say that, if you can get past the vocals, they're worth a listen, whether for the story or the music itself.

And that's cool that you're still getting the story when it comes out. I'm waiting for it, too. :thumb:

CommieCanada
07-03-2004, 11:05 PM
^ i am waiting for it too. i love how in Three Evils, the end bit is so pop-rock but the lyrics are so dark and depressing like the character is at the very end of his rope. Coheed is awesome

beeeeen
07-03-2004, 11:33 PM
this cd is AWESOME! all the songs rock, and there is nothing better, i just dont get the point of having like 10 songs with nothing on them

Sep
07-04-2004, 03:35 AM
By the way, can anyone do a review for Second Stage Turbine Blade? I don't have it yet and I would like to know what to expect. Thanks!

pixiesfanyo
07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201793
SSTB Review

YDload
07-05-2004, 06:27 PM
I finally bought this album, and it definitely rocks. "A Favor House Atlantic" actually has more guitar mastery going on in the background than I first thought when I watched the video on MTV. And while a couple of the other songs have a similar pop-punk vibe to them, there's enough hard-rock/metal moments to floor you. I especially like the song at the very end; what's it called?

pixiesfanyo
07-05-2004, 06:32 PM
21:13 is the hidden track the acoustic song is "The Light & The Glass "

YDload
07-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Ah yes, 2113. I read the title off the review before, and at first I thought it would be some sort of reprise cover of Rush's "2112." You know, because I think this band could cover Rush if they really wanted too, especially the vocals.

CommieCanada
07-05-2004, 11:27 PM
its good you like the album. i think Coheed is one of the only bands that can successfully combine all sorts of genres into their style and pull it off seamlessly.

Kujo
07-05-2004, 11:41 PM
this cd is AWESOME! all the songs rock, and there is nothing better, i just dont get the point of having like 10 songs with nothing on them

A friend told me this. I'm not sure if it's correct.

There are 11 tracks of silence in between "The Light and Glass" and "21:13". 21:13 is the 23rd track. So if you put 11 between the 2 and 3 you get (drumroll) 2113. Like I said, I don't know if it was meant to be that way or if I'm just reaching for connections, but whatever.

cbmartinez
07-06-2004, 03:16 PM
I thought there was a line in which he mentions 21:13? I'm not sure. Good point though.

pixiesfanyo
07-06-2004, 04:35 PM
There is...It's most likely military time for something..and it probably has to do with the Prize Fighter Inferno and Claudio with the reference to mom

The clock reads 21:13.
All work will stop,
And the ground will relieve.

cbmartinez
07-06-2004, 06:22 PM
This CD is good but the songs get old fast. I've been listening to it alot lately though, trying to decipher the songs.

YDload
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
The songs don't get old to me at all; I'm still listening to "The Crowing" on my computer from when I downloaded it, I skip straight to the song when I'm listening to the CD, AND the song is stuck in my head right now! And I like it!

By the way, does this band play in drop-C or something? I only recognize some of those crushingly low chords from System of a Down songs, and they're admittedly drop-C. Plus, the bonus track sounds a lot like SOAD in the beginning too, substituting one set of crazy vocals for another.

Kujo
07-06-2004, 06:30 PM
I thought there was a line in which he mentions 21:13? I'm not sure. Good point though.

There is, I was just explaining the purpose of the blank tracks

DFelon204409
07-06-2004, 06:37 PM
The songs don't get old to me at all; I'm still listening to "The Crowing" on my computer from when I downloaded it, I skip straight to the song when I'm listening to the CD, AND the song is stuck in my head right now! And I like it!

By the way, does this band play in drop-C or something? I only recognize some of those crushingly low chords from System of a Down songs, and they're admittedly drop-C. Plus, the bonus track sounds a lot like SOAD in the beginning too, substituting one set of crazy vocals for another.

They play in standard on most songs. On "Delerium Trigger" they go drop-d but it's nothing to drop a deuce over.

cbmartinez
07-06-2004, 06:40 PM

Eh, some songs get old like A Favor House Atlantic :rolleyes: and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3. Others like Al the Killer, The Crowing and Blood Red Summer don't.

pixiesfanyo
07-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I like every track on IKSSE accept for A Favor House Atlantic..

YDload
07-06-2004, 06:56 PM

Well, it's still the best video currently in rotation on MTV at three o'clock in the morning. I don't know if it's the best "poppy" song though; I think Three Evils is slightly better, and Blood Red Summer has a better sing-along chorus.

cbmartinez
07-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Me also.

shabutie
07-15-2004, 10:33 PM
One of the greatest bands i've ever heard, if you really enjoy music that isnt just about x-g/f's, and you like amazing guitar work, this band is just great. Live was intense, Only band i've ever got chills from...claudio is an amazing person to meet, he's very shy in person, kool though, HOLY BALLS ! 33 JUST CAME ON AOL RADIO! haha i love it

CommieCanada
07-15-2004, 10:39 PM
OMG OMG OMG

http://merchnow.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=CAC%3ACACST-COMIC

OneThousandTears1
07-15-2004, 11:06 PM
OMFG! I got IKSSE:3 from a friend and i havent been able to stop listening to it. usually i get sick of hearing the same cd over and over but not this one! warped tour is coming up and i cant wait to see them live!

blood red summer rocks my flippin' socks off!

shabutie
07-15-2004, 11:17 PM
YES! THE COMIC IS ALMOST HERE! THANK YOU SO MUCH KommieKanada, your a true hero

RollerQueen
07-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Oh yes KK, you are my hero for the day. Thank you SO much! I just put an order in for it now.

CommieCanada
07-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Oh yes KK, you are my hero for the day. Thank you SO much! I just put an order in for it now.
i ordered 3

i rule

StardogChampion
07-16-2004, 05:19 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Coheed and Cambria is just Rush with a more annoying voice, and without the talent.

Wow
07-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I've come to the conclusion that you are a narrow minded fuck.

I love this album. The story just amazes me. Visit the message board on their site and read all the ideas fans have about the story. I wanna read the book!

*orders three copies*

ddrfreak62
07-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Coheed & Cambria are one of the best bands i have lisened to in a long time, I love Claudio's voice. I can play alot of there songs now and for my school talent show if i can get some people together im going try to play one of their songs.

IsItLuck?
07-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Good review, secret track is the best song, with the time consumer drumming in the middle and such, the breakdowns, incredible song. Wow. I saw coheed back in November 2002 when GlassJAw was headlining and they weren't even the 2nd to last band, now they are almost headlining Warped Tour. They are getting almost too mainstream and switching from one of my favorite record labels could be a turn for the worst, I really hope they don't go downhill. They are my favorite band of the indie/emo genre.

biografiend
07-21-2004, 11:17 AM
They are getting almost too mainstream and switching from one of my favorite record labels could be a turn for the worst, I really hope they don't go downhill. totally agree with you. this was the first coheed cd i got, and i was hooked the first time i heard it. The Light & the Glass and 2113 are my favorite songs. I love this cd, but i think SSTB is more raw, and consistantly good. Awesome review, RollerQueen. :thumb:

RollerQueen
07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks a bunchizzle. :)

If Claudio knows what's good for him, he'll keep it up. My brother knows his friends and they'll kill if Co&Ca sell out. I wonder what they'll do once the story in album form is complete...

Horace
10-03-2004, 09:40 AM
This was an OK review for one of my favorite albums. Good job, though.

Horace
10-03-2004, 09:42 AM
I have come to the conclusion that Coheed and Cambria is just Rush with a more annoying voice, and without the talent.

I've come to the conclusion that you're just crap. :thumb:

Amp'd
10-04-2004, 01:19 AM
im trying to download the whole album (dont flame me i live in New Zealand and i cant find it anywhere(and amazon etc dont ship to NZ)). but is the ring in return just a phone ringing and then just some really quiet noises for seven minutes?

My Second Favourite Band Of All Time!!!!!!!!!!!

The_One
10-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Just wondering. Do you guys know why they have those 6 -7 tracks that are just like 6 seconds long each before the secret track? I was wondering why they did that. For a second there I thought there were like 6 bonus songs on it or something.

Tapeworm
10-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Amp'd - The Ring in Return is juat a phone ringing and then some organs but it doesn;t go for 7 minutes...

PeEpHoLe_10
10-08-2004, 06:09 AM
I picked this up yesterday. Good reveiw, really good album.

YDload
10-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Hey, if you read through this whole thread, you'll see my transformation as barely-interested into a converted fan. Anyway, I was listening to this just recently, and the secret track has a riff from "Time Consumer" in it! Like, right after that "I've got a secret to hide" part, it goes into those few little riffs from the intro to SSTB's first proper song. And then of course it ends with part of "Iro-Bot," but that connection is obvious.

One other thing I noticed: the title track is in some different time signature. Maybe 6/8 or just 3/4?

Sep
10-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Hey, if you read through this whole thread, you'll see my transformation as barely-interested into a converted fan. Anyway, I was listening to this just recently, and the secret track has a riff from "Time Consumer" in it! Like, right after that "I've got a secret to hide" part, it goes into those few little riffs from the intro to SSTB's first proper song. And then of course it ends with part of "Iro-Bot," but that connection is obvious.

One other thing I noticed: the title track is in some different time signature. Maybe 6/8 or just 3/4?

Yeah the title track's time signature is very strange. The drum beat sounds easy when you hear it, but for me it's almost impossible to figure out what he's playing.

RollerQueen
10-10-2004, 10:02 AM
I'd say 6/4 or 12/8 but I haven't taken a music class in too long. I play the verse riff almost every time I pick up my guitar but I never thought too much about the time signature... Whoops.

SubtleDagger
10-10-2004, 02:27 PM
It's in either 6/8 or 12/8, depending on how they take it.

me_want_a_good_guitar
10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by unknownsk8er88
argh i was gonna review it too. then i decided to review alkaline trio. it was god****it it think.

Horace
10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Why do y'all hate A Favor House Atlantic? It's one of my favorite tracks on the album. I know it was played all the time on mtv2, but this is one of the rare times that I'm ****ing in love with a popular single. The video is actually my favorite music video of all time.

npstaind
10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
i hate these guys, the singer is a fruit and the songs blow too. :lol: :evil:

YDload
10-13-2004, 06:21 PM
i hate these guys, the singer is a fruit and the songs blow too. :lol: :evil:

Antarctica is the driest continent on Earth. PS: Staind fans have no voice when it comes to deciding good or bad music.

Luxor
10-13-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm missing them play tonight because my parents won't let me go. :(

IsItLuck?
10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Antarctica is the driest continent on Earth. PS: Staind fans have no voice when it comes to deciding good or bad music.

That's why the Alter Bridge fan club thread is so long. Because they think they know what they are talking about :thumb:

I have heard many people who said coheed sucks, I guess it is sort of an acquire taste. I for one love coheed, music is brilliantly written, songs never get old. The MTV fan-base should perish, I hate people who live off radio and TV for their musical source. To see them all singing a favor house atlantic at the concerts and knowing all the words to that song and none others song lyrics makes me wonder.

Bad luck @ the mother not letting you go. They are excellent live, I saw them 4 times :x

Cain
10-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Welcome, IsItLuck. Nice to see that you can't even show your face in the Alter Bridge thread itself to diss the band; you have to waste space in the Coheed and Cambria forum to do it. What a big tough guy that knows so much more about music than I do. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Coheed and Cambria were probably a bit easier for me to get into than most, me being an enormous Rush fan. It makes me quite used to the high-pitched vocals. The vocal style gets creepy at times, but the band's synthesis of emo, metal guitar riffs, and punk is very effective. "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth" is a truly amazing song that probably wins for my favorite one on the album. The Crowing and the Velorium Camper Trilogy are really awesome as well. Titling the secret track "2113" seems to be sacrilige to me, but that's just the Rush fanboyism kicking in again. I like how the band isn't afraid to show that they know a little about music in their playing.

Plus, Claudio wrote the songs on an eight-track studio his parents got him! Is that an omen? (I have a four-track on which I write all my songs, and the guitars have ended up being simarly orchestrated as they do on Coheed's.) Hope so. Another reason I feel a sort of kinship with the band.

JMann
10-14-2004, 12:30 AM
I first heard the song IKSSE:3 in Forced Listening and I had the get the album. Definately money well spent. I love every song. I still have yet to get their first album, although I've heard a few songs from it.

Sep
10-14-2004, 02:15 AM
You'll be blown away by their first album, JMann !
Is anyone else in love with The Velorium Camper 1: The Faint Of Hearts? That is by far my favorite song of the album. :thumb:

Distorted Vision
10-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Anyway, Coheed and Cambria were probably a bit easier for me to get into than most, me being an enormous Rush fan. It makes me quite used to the high-pitched vocals.

Same here. I don't normally like these sort of vocals in pop-punk though, but they fit nicely for me with this music backing them.

YDload
10-14-2004, 01:45 PM
You'll be blown away by their first album, JMann !
Is anyone else in love with The Velorium Camper 1: The Faint Of Hearts? That is by far my favorite song of the album. :thumb:

Yeah, I've mentioned before that I really like that song. The cowbell and guitar wailing in the beginning to the "If the world stops turning girl you'd better not stop when I say-ee-ay-hey" toward the end, it's awesome. Not as good as "The Crowing," but a close second for me and my pick for a single.

Sep
10-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Yeah The Crowing is absolutely amazing, but I've probably listened to it too many times.

RollerQueen
10-14-2004, 08:14 PM
It's been almost a year and this thread is still getting activity! Yay!

Ripper22, I am glad to see that you enjoy this band. Indeed, being adjusted to Geddy Lee's voice does make it easier to enjoy Claudio's. Sing a little bit high and people think you're a sissy who makes bad music...

Cain
10-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Ripper22, I am glad to see that you enjoy this band. Indeed, being adjusted to Geddy Lee's voice does make it easier to enjoy Claudio's. Sing a little bit high and people think you're a sissy who makes bad music...

You say it as if we've run into a bit of trouble over a band in the past. Is this so? I'm sorry if it is.

RollerQueen
10-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Oh no it's just after our polar difference of opinions in the Alter Bridge thread (though thankfully we never exchanged personally vindictive words), it's always good to ssee some harmony. I respect you greatly as a poster as your objectivity is admirable and more boardies should be like that.

In other news, I cannot wait until Winter when the next installment of the comic is scheduled to arrive. Furthermore, the wait for their next CD will be similarly anxious.

Cain
10-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Ah, I see. Well thank you very much: compliments are always appreciated. You seem like a pretty cool guy yourself.

Yeah, I agree that more people need to be a little more objective. The basic problem is that people don't listen to enough genres of music, or enough different bands, and thus do not acquire the ability to recognize quality or talent in a wide variety of styles, even ones they may not neccesarily like. Even though I like Alter Bridge a lot, let's face it, some of the fanboys in that thread are as closed off to other styles and genres as the people that hate Alter Bridge totally out of hand are. Not that you're one of those....as I recall, you actually heard the album and formed your opinion based on that. People don't understand that it's possible to recognize faults in your band and still be a fan, just as it is possible to recognize good aspects of a band you hate. People seem to only know one thing well, and it doesn't mean, as they so often behave, that they know it all. I certainly don't claim to.

Anyway, thanks again. You have props from me any day. :chug:

EDIT: I just checked. We weren't THAT polar. We agreed on a few bits. :thumb:

Sep
10-15-2004, 03:28 AM
Even if people don't enjoy Claudio's voice, they should still give Co&Ca a try. The music will more than make up for it.

purity57028
10-15-2004, 09:16 AM
i love this cd so much i just recently got in to COheed and Cambbria and i just fell in love with and thye are musical masters no mater were they get thier influences from or what thier music sounds like :thumb:

CommieCanada
10-16-2004, 11:11 AM
i used to hate Coheed and Cambria for the same reasons that most people around here do. but then i decided to actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC. then i realized that they are one of the most amazing and origional bands to come around in quite some time

FromAutumnToAshes2113
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
The answer to the time signature for 2113(bonus song 23) is simply 4/4 through most of the song. Then it might change, but it is mostly 4/4.

marsvolta
12-07-2004, 11:03 PM
love or hate coheed, everyone needs to at least recognize talent

Sep
12-07-2004, 11:58 PM
When is their new album coming out? Are they working on it yet?

RollerQueen
12-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Coheed and Cambria are dead.

Cain
12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Coheed and Cambria are dead.

That's quite a departure from your usual stuff! :lol: Why the change of heart?

RollerQueen
12-08-2004, 11:49 AM
It's a t-shirt of theirs. I thought it fit and some people might get a kick out of it. :) They're still touring, though their website says that personal tragedies have occurred and the cancellation of their December tour dates are a direct result of that. Unless they've been recording new songs while on the road, I wouldn't expect a new album from them until late in the summer of 2005 at the earliest.

darkslide
12-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Coheed and Cambria are awesome, I just started getting into them. Claudio has a great voice, my girlfriend hates it though. She thinks that only 12 year old girls listen to them. I tell her she is dumb for not liking them because she doesn't like the high pitched voice. The music and lyrics are amazing and deep... the more you listen the more you hear. I missed their performance when they came around my town. Hopefully they come back soon, and hopefully their album comes out soon as well.

The Depressed
12-08-2004, 02:43 PM
I presumed I'd like these, as I'm a pretty big Rush fan.

I was right. 'Tis a great album.

grunge_lives_on75
12-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I saw Co&Ca at the warped tour! they were awesome...until claudio got smoked in the face with like a camera or something...that had to suck...anyone see the michigan show????

CO&CAbasser14
01-01-2005, 05:28 PM
This is my favorite band. I recently started hearing them a couple months ago. My friend introduced me to it. Once i heard A Favor House Atlantic and The Crowing i started liking Co&Ca. Then i heard this whole album and i could never stop listening to them.
Some of my other friend think it sucks but I dont give a sh*t what they say i like it and thats all that matters. I can't wait till i buy their first album this week. :thumb:

Coheed and Cambria rules!

Almost everyone i know was introduced to co & ca by a friend, i was and the person who intro to me was too, i think their is something goin on here. NE wayz coheed and cambria are my favorite band and ive only ben listening to them for a few months, :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

DFelon204409
01-02-2005, 04:27 AM
^ Why is it that everybody can acquire a new favorite band so easily after only listening to them for a few months.

CO&CAbasser14
01-07-2005, 08:35 PM
^thats ture, i guess that if u are really gonna like the band then u will when u ffirst listen to them

ImNotCrying
01-07-2005, 08:54 PM
yes they are an amazing band, im just finnishing a download of the rare 'shabutie' sessions, cant wait to hear them.

pixiesfanyo
01-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Give me my ***** you whore

^ Best Shabutie line.