PDA

View Full Version : (Skapunk) Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Went Numb

Kithkin
11-17-2003, 07:40 PM
This is an amazing CD. If you have never heard any ska or the only thing you heard was Reel Big Fish 5 years ago, this CD will change your opinion of the genre.

I would go so far as to say that noone could not like this CD.

Streetlight Manifesto is made up of 3 members of Catch 22 and 3 members of One Cool Guy... both bands from Jersey. The 6 members play 8 instruments on the album.

The singer/songwriter/guitarist is the best fast paced lyricist outside of rap around in any genre and the music just goes so perfectly together.

They are also 100% DIY. They recorded the album in the singers basement and mixed it in a day at a real studio. You can't tell that it wasnt recorded in a real studio.

Track listing:

01. everything went numb (http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/611/streetlightmanifesto.html)

The title track. Good intro but not the best song on the album. Quick vocals about a bank robbery.

02. thatll be the day
03. point / counterpoint

Best song on the album. Gives me shivers. Starts off just acoustic and vocals and explodes.

04. if and when we rise again
05. a better place, a better time

Song dealing with a friends suicidal tendencies. Didnt like it at first because it starts off sounding like a pop punk song but it really grew on me.

06. we are the few
07. failing, flailing
08. heres to life

A "cover" of one of the singers other bands called Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. Great song about suicide and famous artists.

09. a moment of silence

Song for the losers out there. Great horn work and lyrics.

10. a moment of violence
11. the saddest song
12. the big sleep

5/5 stars

There are no bad songs on this album. Everything is golden. And none of the songs sound the same (except A Moment of Silence/Violence but that is intentional)

This album sounds like the album Catch 22 should have released instead of Alone in a Crowd.

If you like ____ you will like Streetlight:

Catch 22 (Keasby Nights era)
Sublime
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Big D and the Kids Table
The Specials

If you like Streetlight you will like _____:

King Apparatus
Jaya the Cat
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution

Zappa
11-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Streetlight are great. Do you know who's better. Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. You really, really need the BOTAR album. I can send it to you, and that Distorted Penguins one too, if you have AIM.

rancidpunk
03-07-2004, 09:06 AM
I just got this album yesterday after weeks of searching for it, it has changed the way i look at ska it is the greatest ska album ive ever heard and i cant stop listening, favourite songs are saddest song,point/counterpoint and everything went numb. Awsome album, good review.:thumb:

Luxor
03-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Streetlight is pretty awesome.

I don't know one person whos into ska-punk, and doesn't like SM. I've gotten people into Streetlight Manifesto, who don't even like ska-punk.

Rashka
03-07-2004, 12:21 PM
this kind of review is very good...
the amazon stuff below.

however, jaya the cat and streetlight manifesto are not really similar, imho.

pedro durruti
03-07-2004, 12:36 PM
This is a great band and CD. My friend's favorite ska band is Catch 22 and when I showed him these guys he instantly loved them.

MothEatenDeerHead213
07-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks to Kithkin I know who these guys are. He posted something about them once, then i downloaded ONE of their songs (One meaning that, that one song got me hooked on them). After I went out & bought the CD. Its the only thing Ive been listening to for the past 5 weeks.

Left Shoe
07-05-2004, 10:06 AM
isnt streetlight manifesto half of catch 22 and half of one cool guy

MothEatenDeerHead213
07-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Streetlight is pretty awesome.

I don't know one person whos into ska-punk, and doesn't like SM. I've gotten people into Streetlight Manifesto, who don't even like ska-punk.

I like most types of ska. except crap ska like LTJ & RBF

punkinrox
07-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Streetlight are great i love moment of silence and i think its we are the few
The chorus is so anthemy
"we are the few who never say anything right we are the footsteps fading into the night.."

phobiaholic
07-10-2004, 07:28 PM
does anyone know exactly what part of catch they are? like which instruments

phobiaholic
07-10-2004, 07:30 PM
I like most types of ska. except crap ska like LTJ & RBF

that's not nice :upset:
haha well i guess we all have our own opinions.. i guess :rolleyes:

MothEatenDeerHead213
07-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Point/Counterpoint is like a follow up to Keasby Nights

Dir en X
07-18-2004, 11:48 PM
does anyone know exactly what part of catch they are? like which instruments

I believe the parts are as such:

Catch 22
Thomas: Vocals, Guitar
Chris: Drums
Jason: Bass

One Cool Guy
Dan: Alto/Bari Sax
Mike: Trombone
Jim: Tenor Sax
Jamie: Trumpet

Luxor
07-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Kind of weird how sombody happened to bump this thread, I saw them last night.:thumb:

They're good live.

plightofsociety
07-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Actually, Streetlight Manifesto is as follows:

Tomas Kalnoky - Guitar/Vocals (original guitarist/vocalist of Catch 22)
Josh Ansley - Bass (original Bassist of Catch 22)
Chris Thatcher - Drums (not sure about this guy, the original drummer was Paul Lowndes..I *think* from One Cool Guy
Jamie Egan - Trumpet (original Trombonist of Catch 22)
Dan Ross - Bari Sax (Saxaphonist from One Cool Guy)
Mike Soprano - Trombone (played trombone on Catch 22's 'Alone in a Crowd')
Jim Conti - Tenor Sax (also from One Cool Guy)

Oh, and btw, I just saw Streetlight in Pittsburgh tonight. Freakin' amazing show.

Ska!Bandit!
08-20-2004, 01:33 AM
The album's name is "Everything GOES numb", the first tracks is "Everything WENT numb". Just thought you should know.

emeniussleepus
11-29-2004, 04:59 PM
1. LTJ and RBF are not "crap ska." RBF is one of the best ska bands of all time. and everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but saying RBF and LTJ are crap is almost heresy.

2. old Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto kick my f**king a**!

3. The new Catch 22 is terrible, if you disagree, that's fine, but seriously, they should have disbanded when the others broke off and formed Streetlight.