PDA

View Full Version : (Rock) Led Zeppelin DVD

manuscriptreplica
11-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Led Zeppelin are undoubtedly one of the greatest bands of all time. Eight albums, each still selling copies today, over 20 years after their release. This DVD shows the band live in several locations, plus extra interviews, video clips etc. This is one of the first DVD’s that really show what live music is all about – Led Zeppelin were masters of it.

Disc 1
Song list:
Live at the Royal Albert Hall – 1970
We’re Gonna Groove
I Can’t Quit You Baby
Dazed and Confused
White Summer
What is and What Should Never Be
How Many More Times
Moby Dick
Whole Lotta Love
Communication Breakdown
C’mon Everybody
Something Else
Bring it on Home
Extras:
Communication Breakdown video
Danmarks Radio - 1969
Communication Breakdown
Dazed and Confused
Babe I’m Gonna Leave You
How Many More Times
Supershow – 1969
Dazed and Confused
Tous En Scene – 1969
Communication Breakdown
Dazed and Confused

Disc 2
Immigrant Song – 1972
Madison Square Garden – 1973
Black Dog
Misty Mountain Hop
Since I’ve Been Loving You
The Ocean
Earls Court – 1975
Going to California
That’s the Way
Bron-yr-aur Stomp
In my Time of Dying
Trampled Underfoot
Stairway to Heaven
Knebworth – 1979
Rock and Roll
Nobody’s Fault but Mine
Sick Again
Achilles Last Stand
In the Evening
Kashmir
Whole Lotta Love
Extras:
NYC Press Conference – 1970
Down under – 1972
Rock and Roll
Interviews with the band
The Old Grey Whistle Test – 1975
Robert Plant Interview
Promo 1 – 1990
Over the Hills and Far Away
Promo 2 – 1990
Travelling Riverside Blues

Robert Plant – Vocals
Jimmy Page – Guitar
John Paul Jones – Bass, keyboards
John Bonham - drums

Since there are so many songs, there is no way I am reviewing them all, so I will choose my personal favourites and tell you my disappointments.
Dazed and Confused – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Another great recording of Dazed and Confused. Although it doesn’t go for the mammoth 25 minutes like it did on ‘When the West Was Won’ the 15 minute Page-a-thon is still fantastic, and yes, of course he gets the bow out and does a little tune.

Moby Dick – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
What Dazed and Confused is to Jimmy Page, Moby Dick is to John Bonham (referred to herein as ‘Bonno’) the 20 year old at the time Bonno shows us his immense skill with a 13 minute drum solo. And of course, he plays with his hands. Now I am not a drummer, so I cannot tell if he is using correct technique or anything, but **** this guy is fast! I swear it looks like he is in fast forward at some bits. Notice when he finishes, he appears to drink a blackish drink. Drinking bourbon and coke during the performance, Bonno? Tsk tsk.

Communication Breakdown – Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Another great live track by Led Zep. I personally think that this is John Paul Jones’ best song on the DVD, he is nuts in this song. I know Page takes the centre stage (like every other song – he even does it in Moby Dick!) but to be able to play like that is pretty good. Plant does a bit of inprov, I reckon he forgot the words and just made them up on the spot. They still sound alright though.

The Ocean – MSG
This track is SO much better than the recorded version it’s not funny. Featuring one of the weirdest time signatures in history (I call it 15/8, its technically 7/8, then 8/8, but that’s weird) it’s a great song nonetheless. The solo bit when Plant does his thing, Jones and Page play along with it, and it sounds pretty good. Page also goes nuts when the walking bass line bit comes in, which looks cool with his black star pants (I want a pair!)

Bron-yr-aur Stomp – Earls Court
Another superior live version – clearly better than the recorded version. You just look at Jimmy Page in wonder at this song, and wonder ‘how the hell did he write this?’ it’s the most relaxing song ever. He does a little solo bit on his acoustic for about 2 minutes which is quite good. This features Jones on the double bass.

Trampled Underfoot – Earls Court
Ah, Trampled Underfoot. What a song. I just love the keyboards on this song. Jones is a genius. That’s all I’ll really say about this song – listen to it for the keyboards.

Stairway to Heaven – Earls Court
Of course stairway. Of course. I’m surprised really that stairway was only featured once, when communication breakdown was featured about 7 (4 actually). This is a pretty good version, but by no means their best. Page’s solo is quite good though, but I would of preferred it on the acoustic, that would have been tops. Page’s double guitar (or whatever you call it, the one with two necks) comes out to play in this song.

Kashmir – Knebworth
Of course Kashmir. Of course. I love this song, I don’t know why, they must have been on serious substance when writing it, but it’s catchy. Once again, Mr. Jones is on keyboard, a highlight.

My Beef:
No Houses of the Holy – this is my all time fav. Led Zep song, and was bitterly disappointed when they didn’t put it on.
No D’yer Maker – I don’t really like this song, but it is so cool!
Crap versions of Immigrant song, Black Dog and Achilles Last Stand – I’m sorry boys, but these versions sucked. Especially Black Dog, I think Plant forgot he was meant to sing NOT monotonously. (i.e. ****house)
Too much camera on Page/Plant – not enough on Bonno/Jones – Especially Jones. In some songs (Stairway, Communication Breakdown, Kashmir) it’s ‘let’s play find the bassist!’ I know Page produced it, but far out, he is on camera about 70% of the time, Plant about 20% and the other two make up 10%. Seriously.

Well there you have it – I hope you find it useful somewhat. If you are a Led Zeppelin fan, you will definitely want it, but may feel a tad disappointed that one of your faves isn’t on there. Still a great buy - it goes for over 5 hours anyway.

4˝/5 (9/10)

savarious
11-17-2003, 07:33 AM
This DVD blew me away the first time I watched it. It reminded me that LZ was the first "supergroup" in terms of talent. Haha, this thread is going to make me want to watch it tonight.

Kaden
11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but on two points our opinions differ: For one thing, I absolutely HATE Trampled underfoot. Terrible song, in my opinion. And for another thing, I really really was dissapointed with Plant's vocals on "Kashmir". I thought it really ruined a great song.

This DVD gets a 5/5 from me, because most of it is incredible.

BirdsOfFires
11-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Ok, lookit. Loved the DVD. But being the Zeppelin freak I am I'm going to have to pick a bone with you.
First of all:
It's Bonzo. BonZo
Second of all:
The Ocean is not one of the weirdest time signatures in history. Personally I'm a little more weirded out by Shakti's pattern:
9/8 (3 measures)
17/8 (3 measures)
19/8 ( 3 measures)
21/8 (3 measures)
Now, we have a polyrythm that's roughly 23 32nd notes so fast you can barely distinguish one from the other.

:thumb:

Ok, now that I'm done being an ass, I'll review my favorite parts:
I hated most of the Royal Albert Hall. My favorites were the acoustic section (the version of That's the Way, one of my all time favorite songs, reduced me to tears. However, What is and What Should Never Be at RAH was awesome.
My favorite was In my Time Of Dying. I'd never really listened to this song before, and this DVD made me love it. Also, I thought the version of Immigrant Song, the sound at least, pwnd.

Mattacular
11-19-2003, 07:19 PM
The DVD is truely awesome. The best footage is from MAdison Square Garden in terms of video quality. The sound quality is really good all around - if you have a surround sound system put it on DTS and crank it.

My favorite songs/performances from the DVD:

The Ocean - awesome performance, one of my favorite songs anyway

Since I've Been Loving You - omg. Page's guitar going from "Misty Mountain" straight into this song is INCREDIBLE. Plus there is a really cool video effect. You'll have to watch it to see what I mean.

Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp - Amazing song.

In My Time Of Dying - Such a cool guitar sound.

Here are some of the guitars you'll see Page play:

He uses one of his Gibson LPs for most of the footage however,

He uses a blue Fender with lots of whammy bar effects on "In The Evening"

He uses his customized Danelectro on In My Time of Dying, White Summer.

Double neck Gibson (as said earlier) is used on Stairway.

You can see the rarely seen pyschadelic Fender Telecaster given to Page by Jeff Beck in one of the extras on disc one.

lunch998
05-22-2004, 08:58 AM
I love the DVD. Yea it doesnt have some of my favorite zeppelin songs (heart breaker, Gallows pole, though plant starts singing it in the medly of trampled underfoot.) the royal albert hall performance is great though. It shows Zeppelin in their early days when they were raw blues and hard rock.
I like the second disc too, the show at knebworth was great. Earls court was alittle disappointing to me, cause i wish they had more rock songs there.
I like the acoustic stuff, but i dont need a dvd to like it. the Dvd is so i can see the hard rock, huge stage show led zeppelin

inassociationwithdeanlearner
05-22-2004, 10:07 AM
i thought the majority of the dvd was excellent especially jimmy page in white summer although i was dissapointed by the lack of 'the lemon song' which jones is ****ing excellent and there was definatly not enough coverage of jones and bonzo but in general its an excellent dvd specially seen as its the first proper concert dvd that has been released as 'song remains the same' was more of a docu

what again
05-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I personally think that version of Black Dog was great, and Achilles Last Stand was nice too, as was the Immigrant Song it's a great great opening track and it was an awesome performance too.

robnathanson
05-22-2004, 07:50 PM
as was the Immigrant Song it's a great great opening track and it was an awesome performance too.
especially considdering the video and audio tracks are from 2 completely different shows in 2 completely different venues in 2 completely different parts of the world.

lunch998
05-24-2004, 05:04 PM
That doenst really mean you can't still enjoy it. the energy on is on stage and i think thats exciting enough really.

guitarplayer889
05-28-2004, 10:40 AM
The DVD was incredible, seeing the concerts all around the world shows just how much fan attraction was related to Zeppelin. It is definatley worth buying and watching over and over again.

Woodstock
08-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Great DVD I used to watch it every night. Jimmy's opening into Since I've Been Lovin You is amazing. The version of Dazed and Confused will make me die happy :thumb:

Moroii
08-18-2004, 01:58 AM
This thing is one of my most treasured possessions. My desert island music DVD. Alright review, I know it'd be impossible to be thorough with so much content.