PDA

View Full Version : (Rock/Pop-punk) Afi: Sing the Sorrow

Det_Nosnip
11-16-2003, 12:05 AM
The album got alot of hype, and alot of kids seemed to be really excited about it, so I thought I'd give it a listen....

*sigh*

While a few tracks are somewhat interesting, the over-all product is repetitive and predictable. It seems that they have a very set formula....They seem to use the pop-punk up-tempo beats that they'll throw in there and the painfully cheesy pop-choruses as "filler" for many of the tracks that, themselves, seem to be filler.

Up-points of the CD included the dreary "Leaving Song Part 1 (track 11, not to be confused with the current single). The two singles aren't bad compared to the rest of the album, a sure sign of a bad CD.

"Death of Seasons" seems to be a desperate attempt to hold onto their harder edged roots, but it soon falls into yet again another typical AFI pop chorus.

"The dissapointment" is just that: a dissapointment. It starts out decent enough, with a nice little bass line followed pretty closely by the drummer, with a decent vocal entrance, however it is ruined when the vocalist decides to shoot for those over-used high-notes he seems to adore for the chorus.

It's possible that they are capable of more than this, but that in of itself makes "Sing the Sorrow" that much more pitiful.

EDIT: I received a few complaints about this review, and I realize that it was a bit insensetive. I didn't mean anything personal against the band, I just didn't enjoy the album. I apologize if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to disrespect.

BirdsOfFires
11-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Buy Black Sails in the Sunset, undoubtably one of the best, ummm, pop-hardcore-horror punk albums in the last 10 years.
It PWNS Sing the Sorrow.

ShutUrMouthnOpenUrEyes
11-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Yeah, so does shut your mouth and open your eyes

johnny six-guns
11-17-2003, 12:51 AM
i actually liked the CD. i thought 'this celluloid dream' was one of th best songs on there, i like all of davey havoks lyrics on every CD, and i think as a guitar player, jade came out alot more on this one. :)

dave_punk
11-17-2003, 06:59 PM
the cd was actually my first afi album and i havent had it out of my stereo since i got it. you forgot to mention 'dancing through sunday' as the best song. the solo rips

NevvAmerika
11-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Well...I was quite disappointed with the CD. Having listened to the older AFI songs, the new ones just don't compare. Black Sails in the Sunset was great, but my personal favorite is The Art of Drowning. "The Days of the Phoenix" is a great song. But most of the other songs were good. There were a few alright moments in Sing the Sorrow. But overall, I'm glad I never purchased it. I think the fact that they went to a different label for this record had an impact on their music. They sent out this album with the intent of going mainstream. So those people who enjoy the poppy sound of Good Charlotte and Simple Plan will love this CD. There is just so much lacking from it. I enjoyed them better when they didn't want to go mainstream. And Davey's hair was niftier when it didn't look similar to a chics hair.

behemoth
11-29-2003, 12:02 PM
I really like this review. It's critical but honest, and frankly it inspires me to investigate AFIs older material...

AlkaliSkiba
11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by behemoth
I really like this review. It's critical but honest, and frankly it inspires me to investigate AFIs older material...

To be honest, I really liked this album, Although some lyrics seemed to be spooky for the sake of sounding spooky, others were really well thought out and complimented the guitar.
I have heard of all AFI's older stuff and will probably buy some retro albums. I'm interested in hearing how Bands change their sound as they progress higher in the business (i.e. Cheshire Cat-Take off your pants etc). Any opinions?

ThricePunk
11-30-2003, 05:03 PM
I like this album and (IMO) is still better than their first two albums which were made when they were still a 'street punk' sounding band, which I don't really care for anymore, but whatever.

My friend and I talked about this album and both agreed it was great, but it just doesn't fit with the sound of AFI from their past like the gothic-punk-rock sound that appeared in the albums 'Art of Drowning' and 'Black Sails in the Sunset'.

BirdsOfFires
12-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by AlkaliSkiba

I have heard of all AFI's older stuff and will probably buy some retro albums. I'm interested in hearing how Bands change their sound as they progress higher in the business (i.e. Cheshire Cat-Take off your pants etc). Any opinions?

Except for, unlike Blink-182, AFI was a really cool local band when I was younger, and now they suck shit!

:thumb:

AlkaliSkiba
12-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BirdsOfFires
Except for, unlike Blink-182, AFI was a really cool local band when I was younger, and now they suck shit!

:thumb:

What are you smoking you crazy dude?,
AFI are miles better than Blink182,
Touche! :thumb:

moderaterock222
12-02-2003, 03:34 PM
i completely agree..i saw them live and they bored me...but that was at a festival

ThricePunk
12-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Since I'm not a huge fan of the whole 'street punk' I guess... I liked this CD more than their first two making this album my 3rd or 4th favourite by AFI...

AlkaliSkiba
12-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Is Art of Drowning good?
I really wanna get it :thumb:

epifreak2002
12-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Truth be told, I'd have to give this a 5/5, coming from a metalhead standpoint. Keep in mind that the review rules said that 5/5 was something you'd play to convert someone. Well, I don't particularly care for punk. I think it all sounds the same, and the guitarists are (mostly) lousy. The same goes for the singers. That being said I loved this cd, and I want to look into some of their other stuff now. I think that this cd might just be the "gateway" to that which you call better. Art of Drowning is their best, eh? Well thanks to this album, I'm going to go pick it up.

Mr. Kitty
12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
I think AFI's best album is All Hallow's E.P. where they have three awesome original songs, esp. Fall Children and Total Immortal, and they have a cover of the Mifits Halloween.

If you sort of like AFI but want something a bit harder and darker then check out Son of Sam's only cd Songs From the Earth which has Davey Havok, directed by Glenn Danzig, and has members from Tiger Army and Misfits.

Burford Redneck
01-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I'm an AFI fan, I've got Art of Drowning and Black Sails aswell. I thought Sing the Sorrow was an awesome album, and the songs arent the same at all, I think they are all original and great.

The NPC
01-01-2004, 09:27 PM
It got the "Ubers Poopers" review in my weekly journal, The NPC Limited.

Luxor
01-02-2004, 10:25 AM
This is by far the worst AFI album.

And I'm guessing the next one will even more horrible.

pixiesfanyo
01-02-2004, 11:55 AM
i want to kill the singer of this band he annoys me to much...but the band without the singer are good

brycey
01-02-2004, 05:06 PM
i actually liked the CD. i thought 'this celluloid dream' was one of th best songs on there, i like all of davey havoks lyrics on every CD, and i think as a guitar player, jade came out alot more on this one. :)

i thought it was a great album, and hunter's bass playing was pretty good.

Suicide_Machine
01-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Ive been a AFI fan since 1999 anf STS is by far the worst AFI album ever. I can only stand 1 song on the whole cd ( This Time Imperfect). If you are looking for good AFI id go with Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes or Black Sails.

Sep
02-01-2004, 10:49 AM
I thought this album was ****ing amazing
Not as good as the art of drowning but still

The Raz
02-02-2004, 07:33 PM
My dad was browsing through my CD collection and he came across "Sing The Sorrow". He looked in the CD booklet and started reading the lyrics. He thought I was suicidal, it was quite comical.

-The Raz

RollerQueen
02-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Is the songwriting and general feel of Black Sails... on par with "God Called in Sick Today? If so, I'm going to get it. If not, then not. Thanks if you can advise me!

Guitar Symphony
02-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I totally disagree with your review. STS is by far one of my favorite albums. Theres nothin better then screaming along to Miseria Cantar - The Begining(sp?) Or just flat out scream to Death Of Seasons or Dancing Through Sunday. The chorus guitar fits the vocals in The Great Dissapointment so well how could you miss it? I'm seriously thinking about writing a STS review. Yours was short, didn't get anywhere and told me almost nothing about the album.

fallxchild
02-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I have almost all of AFI's albums, and I think this is the most diverse. All of the other cd's have similar sounding songs. Like the first 5 on black sails have a very similar sound, and almost all of art of drowning sounds the same (they're still great cd's). But sing the sorrow has alot of different sounding songs on it. There's a big difference between miseria cantare, leaving song pt. II, bleed black, dancing through sunday, girls not grey, the great dissapointment, leaving song, and this time imperfect. I think this is their best cd. Each member of the the band has talent and it shows. I don't care if all the little goth middle school girls love this album, because its great, and I really think this album deserves more credit.

yayfortheloserkids
02-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I think STS is one of their best albums ( I also think all their other albums are some of their best, but still) and if you look at all their albums, they've been changing their sound from the beginning AFI took like 3 years making this one and i think thats why its so different. when I first bought the CD, i thought all the songs sounded pretty much alike, but after listening to it more, I felt more character with the individual songs. same with black sails

Hey Mr. Light Man
02-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Actually, this cd is great. I say a 4/5 for this cd. I also HATE seeing them labeled pop-punk. Their lyrics are not catchy, they are poetic. Their best, though, is the Art Of Drowning.

Drall
02-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Ok...AFI made an extremely big impact on STS by something called "overmixing". Switching over to Dreamworks did NOT change their sound by the least...As you can see(or hear for this matter)AFI tried something quite innovative and not tried before : they mixed in synths.....This phrasing of the songs made Davey Havok's voice quite "squeekier" and his voice was sometimes drowned out by the guitar....

As for my opinion, this is quite a good album and on musical terms it is very great...They have matured musically alot.

As for my favorite AFI cd, I would have to say Black Sails In The Sunset or All Hallows because they are the first two cds to introduce Jade in and the pressure must have been greatly intense, but the result was two of the best (I really can't put them into a genre) albums...

And lastly I think the reviewer put in his honest opinions and addressing their older albums...Good job :thumb: !

hybridofsound
02-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Reviewing without buying the CD :rolleyes: I think this albums pretty strong, so what if they've changed they still write some good songs though it is weaker than their other releases.

TheMiseryPlayer
02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Overall I hated this cd. I would like the "old" afi to make a new cd. Their songs sounded the same and it got very monotonous, it didnt float my boat at all. Sorry guys (afi) but you need to go back to the way you were no offence.

RollerQueen
02-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Well I went out and bought this, The Art of Drowning, and Black Sails in the Sunset. If you don't pay attention to the lyrics, they seem like another californian punk band, but even though I stopped listening to most punk about 3 years ago, I like these guys. Hooray for lyrical prowess! As for this cd, I agree that they've grown up but poppy choruses? Even the other albums have the classic multi-voice chorus singing half the time. Besides, it's not like Davey's lyrics have turned into tripe. Even his voice is more expressive, along with the other three bandmates' instrumentation. Ah well, I am but one small instrument. Thanks for the reviews, though!

Third_Man
02-15-2004, 06:46 PM
I think this is a really good album (I wish I hadn't lost my copy!!). Davey Havok's voice is very cool for their particular style of music. I also have Black Sails in the Sunset and I find myself wishing he would cut the screaming and sing a little more often. Sing the Sorrow is more mellow and melodic and I enjoy every song. The addition of an occasional synthesizer was very well-placed and relevant. This is my favorite contribution by AFI so far.

Vater5B
02-15-2004, 11:06 PM
While I do think that the Art of Drowning was a better album than their newest release, I like the diversity that the band captured on this album. The screaming on The Leaving Song Pt. II had me hooked for days. The aptly titled Silver and Cold left me feeling impacted. While I miss the charm of the old A.F.I. (Key Lime Pie is still one of the funniest songs ever) I'm open to the transition they're making.

wasting_space46
02-16-2004, 12:53 AM
StS owns you. I do own all of AFI's releases and I'm tired of people saying that they sold out. It's basically a continuation of AoD, which is a very good thing...

toddcotham
02-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I really liked this CD. Although it may not stand up to some of their earlier stuff, I still think it is much much better than anything Blink 182 has put out. Celluloid dream and Silver and Cold are great original songs. I makes me mad to even hear them compared to Blink 182. Blink created their own style but so did AFI and they are nothing alike.

Fender_Strat8915
02-20-2004, 06:40 PM
afi has changed...... A LOT....this cd was good and all but it was too mellow. i like their old stuff a lot better but this cd is still a well rounded cd...it has heave guitar parts and in like 4 or 5 songs later u hear an acoustic guitar... that just goes to show how much A.F.I. has evolved! even though i liked their old stuff better i think i am starting to like the new a.f.i
5/5!!

The Raz
02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I used "Miseria Cantare - The Beginning" for a drama tableaux. I got some pretty high marks and the teacher said "the music was perfect".

Em0PuNkS1nger
02-26-2004, 05:32 PM
i like the cd its the first afi cd i bought after hearing "days of the phoenix". i think the guitar is really good and so is the bass. Drummer is ok and the vocals are pretty good. i saw them live once. good show :chug:

CommieCanada
02-26-2004, 06:45 PM
STS got me into AFI and i have since listened to their older stuff, and i don't like it near as much. art of drowning is a good album but it lacks the crispness of STS. i guess i am just not an elitest who doesn't like and overproduced album, but for AFI it works well. especially with Davey's voice.

sidenote: i love the tone of jade's guitar. never heard anything like it

slim thugga
02-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I think all their other cds are much better than this one. I didn't like this one that much. 5.5/10.

dazed and confused444
02-27-2004, 03:36 PM
i got this album for £3 off a friend who dint like it....i loved it

ieatalotoftacos
03-14-2004, 11:16 PM
For what was released in 2003, this is still one of the best albums of the year

boxcarblink41
03-31-2004, 02:38 AM
i actually really disliked their earlier stuff with that crappy fast paced singing with no feeling, this latest release is fantastic. i especially like dancing through sunday, the leaving song, silver and cold and the great disapoinment.

slash&joeperry
05-27-2004, 08:07 PM
This album kicks a$$. It is a shame that none of the quote "hard core" afi fans can appreciate the diverity and beauty in this cd. My fav songs off of it are The leaving Song Pt.II and Dancing Through Sunday

Gotkookie
05-28-2004, 02:00 AM
ya this cd blew, all the other afi cds before the art of drowning were great

Gotkookie
05-28-2004, 02:00 AM
all u 15 year old kids, say that the old afi sucked, because you dont know what real punk is

mirrorwave
05-28-2004, 11:36 AM
can't belive the negative vibes bout the album. In my opinion it was awsome, in mind the best album to come out last yr bar none. Ok it's not hardcore punk anymore but bands move on develope and either better themselves or fade into nothin. AFI hav bettered themselves on this.
Listenin to black sails u get some quality songs but the album blends in sounds the same. Art of drowning moves on becomin more varied n inspirational, but sing the sorrow does the job for me.
If u like punk listen to early afi, if u appreciate decent songs and clever lyrics(if sometimes overstated) then purchase sing the sorrow. Wasn't off my cd player for months. It isnt punk it doesnt hav a catagory but it rox.

I Killed The Prom Queen
05-29-2004, 07:15 AM
can't belive the negative vibes bout the album. In my opinion it was awsome, in mind the best album to come out last yr bar none. Ok it's not hardcore punk anymore but bands move on develope and either better themselves or fade into nothin. AFI hav bettered themselves on this.
Listenin to black sails u get some quality songs but the album blends in sounds the same. Art of drowning moves on becomin more varied n inspirational, but sing the sorrow does the job for me.
If u like punk listen to early afi, if u appreciate decent songs and clever lyrics(if sometimes overstated) then purchase sing the sorrow. Wasn't off my cd player for months. It isnt punk it doesnt hav a catagory but it rox.

Excatly. I saw A.F.I in show and i think they are an awesome live band. Ive read mags that rate them best show/tour of the year.

lpsoxfan88
05-29-2004, 08:54 PM
This has to be one of the best CDs I have ever heard. I borrowed/burned it from a friend and at first I didn't think it was that special. But the more I listened, the more I realized that this is a great CD. I have since bought "The Art of Drowning", and that CD has really grown on me and is now one of my favorites. If your head's not shoved too far into your rectum to realize good music because you're so focused on being a "real punk", it's an excellent CD.

shadowofnothing
05-30-2004, 12:17 AM
This album was made for the emo kids

iwearthemark
05-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Everyone who said this album sucked go suck a ****. 8/10

TojesDolan
05-30-2004, 07:23 PM
I must agree with epifreak2002, this a great jump for ex-punk-guys that want to go a little bit more metal-wise. Dancing through sunday's solo is a great attempt of Jade (the guitarist) to change a little bit their old "punk" riffs to a more mature sounding music. Although this punk-meets-rock was a very big risk, because it could be easily rejected by hardcore-punks and metal-heads would hate it to the bone for mixing those two genres.

This might sound discriminatory, but guitarists might find that riffs here are very complex and well-structured, at least it's better than the 3-chord progressions of nowadays pop-punk. That's just my opinion, and the review is good, but it lacked a more deep review of each song.

mirrorwave
06-01-2004, 03:18 PM
I must agree with epifreak2002, this a great jump for ex-punk-guys that want to go a little bit more metal-wise. Dancing through sunday's solo is a great attempt of Jade (the guitarist) to change a little bit their old "punk" riffs to a more mature sounding music. Although this punk-meets-rock was a very big risk, because it could be easily rejected by hardcore-punks and metal-heads would hate it to the bone for mixing those two genres.

This might sound discriminatory, but guitarists might find that riffs here are very complex and well-structured, at least it's better than the 3-chord progressions of nowadays pop-punk. That's just my opinion, and the review is good, but it lacked a more deep review of each song.

The only reason it a risk is because they're attemptin to b different and filling a gap no other band has taken, and in my opinion the risk is worth it. its not harcore punk, but its not suposed to b, plus most "hardcore punk" is a few basic chord patterns and sum angry lyrics with a husky voiced singer, in other words the hardcore punk in usually the name given to the bands unable to produce decent music so they call it hardcore to get away with the **** they produce, for example earlier afi is hardcore but also poor music.
I'm guessin many ppl will love these views!

sailw/primus
06-03-2004, 01:50 AM
This album kicks a$$. It is a shame that none of the quote "hard core" afi fans can appreciate the diverity and beauty in this cd. My fav songs off of it are The leaving Song Pt.II and Dancing Through Sunday

True! Oh, I love dancing through sunday....hell I love the whole thing I can listen to it over and over again front to back.

Tangy zizzle
06-03-2004, 03:38 AM
I'd ive this album a solid 4.3/5.

I like it alot.

Liam Alan
06-03-2004, 11:41 AM
I heard some of their new CD from some "Live at the Hard Rock" type show. I wasn't too impressed. I was actually kind of depressed at the decline in their sound. I don't think it sucked or they "Sold Out" or anything just not cup of tea. I started listening to them when a friend recommend "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" so I was kind of thrown by the sound of this album. It is actually the only (major) release of theirs I don't own.

Sep
06-07-2004, 12:12 AM
This album's great! It really annoys me when people start disliking AFI because they're on MTV now.

How do you own disorder?
06-16-2004, 01:58 PM
The album may not have been fantastic as a whole, but there were some great note-worthy songs (like number 11) that you guys already, um...noted. I know someone already said this, but the solo in Dancing Through Sunday was totally sweet.

Sep
06-16-2004, 02:08 PM
The Leaving Song (part 1) is my favorite song. If you have got this album, pop it into the PC and download SYNESTHESIA. IT's absolutely incredible, one of my favorite songs ever.

GL Ajax
06-16-2004, 05:40 PM
AFI=amazing. Nuff Said. ;)

TheBurntOrange
06-16-2004, 06:11 PM
ok, here is how it works AFI is a good band. whenever a band becomes really mainstream their music changes and hence they are called sellouts. With a majority of these bands the original music was good. Original blink was great, original AFI was better, however if you look at Sing The Sorrow with an open mind you will appreciate it. TAOD is way better BSOTS is the best. haha none of what i said made any sense.

anti-social_guitarist
06-16-2004, 08:03 PM
i own every afi lp/ep and it's true that afi is a band that grows on you. originally i didn't even think the record was that great, but after awhile it grew to be one of my favorite records of all time. afi is a great band, jade is an awesome guitarist, hunter's bass playing is cathy as hell, adam has made great beats, and davey's vocals are something you just don't find anywhere else. but it's the honesty that brings out the greatness of this band. that's why afi is one of the greatest bands of all time, because they're powerfull and meaningfull. true afi fans would die for the band.

RollerQueen
06-17-2004, 01:55 PM
The Leaving Song (part 1) is my favorite song. If you have got this album, pop it into the PC and download SYNESTHESIA. IT's absolutely incredible, one of my favorite songs ever.

That won't work for me. It gives me a "no input file specified" notice after the initial screen that says "Enter Secret Site". :(

afistsrocks
06-19-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah, dancing through sunday, leaving song pt II, death of season, bleed black and paper airplanes are all excellent songs. the album rocks, so does art of drowning especially days of the phoenix and smile, havent heard much of the other albums. i think sing the sorrow is by far the best afi album yet.

afistsrocks
06-19-2004, 03:08 PM
i totally agree, both albums completely rock. by the way everyone who thinks the album was afi's worst album yet because you think youre too hardcore, you dont know sh*t.

afistsrocks
06-19-2004, 03:14 PM
ok, here is how it works AFI is a good band. whenever a band becomes really mainstream their music changes and hence they are called sellouts. With a majority of these bands the original music was good. Original blink was great, original AFI was better, however if you look at Sing The Sorrow with an open mind you will appreciate it. TAOD is way better BSOTS is the best. haha none of what i said made any sense.
all of it made sense you retard, taod is the art of drowning, bsots is meant to be black sails in the sunset, but isnt 'in' spelt with an 'i'? and anyway what would be the point if it didnt make sense? waste of time if you ask me

Sep
06-20-2004, 04:33 AM
That won't work for me. It gives me a "no input file specified" notice after the initial screen that says "Enter Secret Site". :(

Do you have MSN? I could send the song to you. itchy_bum_hole@hotmail.com

;)

ThursdayRules
06-21-2004, 09:48 PM
this is an emo side of AFI and they pulled it off good... i like the cd.. but i also like their old stuff like blaks sails into the sunset and the art of drowning AFI is a good band

Benny_loves_it
06-28-2004, 02:24 AM

Sumed it up really well there :thumb:
I really like their old stuff aswell, but like you said i think they've devolped heaps from that era of music. A good cd all round by a great band in my mind, still i would like to see them playing some of their old skool tunes and not completely losing that streak they have in em

Jade75XL
06-28-2004, 05:13 AM
The album got alot of hype, and alot of kids seemed to be really excited about it, so I thought I'd give it a listen....

*sigh*

While a few tracks are somewhat interesting, the over-all product is repetitive and predictable. It seems that they have a very set formula....They seem to use the pop-punk up-tempo beats that they'll throw in there and the painfully cheesy pop-choruses as "filler" for many of the tracks that, themselves, seem to be filler.

Up-points of the CD included the dreary "Leaving Song Part 1 (track 11, not to be confused with the current single). The two singles aren't bad compared to the rest of the album, a sure sign of a bad CD.

"Death of Seasons" seems to be a desperate attempt to hold onto their harder edged roots, but it soon falls into yet again another typical AFI pop chorus.

"The dissapointment" is just that: a dissapointment. It starts out decent enough, with a nice little bass line followed pretty closely by the drummer, with a decent vocal entrance, however it is ruined when the vocalist decides to shoot for those over-used high-notes he seems to adore for the chorus.

It's possible that they are capable of more than this, but that in of itself makes "Sing the Sorrow" that much more pitiful.

Everybody has their own opinion on the subject but if this cd is so bad why was it voted best punk album of 2003 by revolver magazine. You don't know what your talking about when you say it's repetitive and predictable who are you to judge afi on their intentions of this album, you say they are trying to hold on to harder edged roots. It's afi they are who they are, they aren't trying to be something they're not if you don't like so what don't slander afi's good name.

Jade75XL
06-28-2004, 05:28 AM
I just love afi i have all of their cd's and the ep's and two vinyl format albums, this cd is just as good as black sails or art of drowning if not better i'd give it a 5 out of 5

meeeeeeeeeeeeee (returned)
06-28-2004, 07:54 AM
I hate what afi have become, now when i go to a show there are a million 14 year old girls with afi shirts on, if I had bought an afi t-shirt when i first got inot them, everyone would of had a go at me for standing out and trying something differant (****n pop-punk kiddies, should stay at raves and leave 'punk' shows)

squee333
06-28-2004, 09:30 AM
I hate what afi have become, now when i go to a show there are a million 14 year old girls with afi shirts on, if I had bought an afi t-shirt when i first got inot them, everyone would of had a go at me for standing out and trying something differant (****n pop-punk kiddies, should stay at raves and leave 'punk' shows)

You know what pisses me off? People who dislike a band because other people like them. Even if the music hasn't gotten any worse, those kind of people are like "OMG IF I LIKE AFI I NOT HARDCORE!!!!!11111 MuSt TrY vErY hArD tO bE dIfFeRaNtZ!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneone"
I personally felt the album was one of their best, the singing was better, the guitar was better, the bass, drums, and songwriting were better. The songs didn't sound the same from one song to the next in this one. I was listening to Black Sails in the car, and I would look back and see that 2 or 3 songs went by, while I still thought it was the same song. (If that makes sense...)
Don't get me wrong, I loved Black Sails and I loved the Art of Drowning even more, but I just felt that before Sing the Sorrow their music was very repetitive and similar-sounding. That's my opinion.

silencethesheep
06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
i think sts is good but not as good as the others. i also think that (not all) but SOME people only sat that sts sucks because now afi is more popular and they are only saying that to sound cool. iduno if anyone on here does it but i know a few people who suddenly hate the music just cuz more people like it. dumb. ok flame away.

silencethesheep
06-28-2004, 01:06 PM
whats with all you people who discrminate against all the 14/15 year olds who like or dont like afi? i am that age and i love afi's music. and no i don't think i am punk or hardcore or any of that crap i just like them. get over it.

DarkstarPunk2468
06-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Is Art of Drowning good?
I really wanna get it :thumb:

Art of Drowning was easily one of their best cd's. Get it. :thumb:

DarkstarPunk2468
06-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Art of Drowning rules. :thumb:

DarkstarPunk2468
06-29-2004, 01:15 PM
whats with all you people who discrminate against all the 14/15 year olds who like or dont like afi? i am that age and i love afi's music. and no i don't think i am punk or hardcore or any of that crap i just like them. get over it.

I totally agree

Jade75XL
06-30-2004, 03:08 AM
i own every afi lp/ep and it's true that afi is a band that grows on you. originally i didn't even think the record was that great, but after awhile it grew to be one of my favorite records of all time. afi is a great band, jade is an awesome guitarist, hunter's bass playing is cathy as hell, adam has made great beats, and davey's vocals are something you just don't find anywhere else. but it's the honesty that brings out the greatness of this band. that's why afi is one of the greatest bands of all time, because they're powerfull and meaningfull. true afi fans would die for the band.

I'd die for the band just look at my username and think about it

Guitarman1234
06-30-2004, 07:31 AM
good band good album ok review

mirrorwave
07-13-2004, 12:58 PM
squee333

Quote:You know what pisses me off? People who dislike a band because other people like them. Even if the music hasn't gotten any worse, those kind of people are like "OMG IF I LIKE AFI I NOT HARDCORE!!!!!11111 MuSt TrY vErY hArD tO bE dIfFeRaNtZ!!!!!!!!!1111111oneoneone" Unquote

When other ppl say wot I'm thinkin i love it. how true, i h8 that kinda crowd, music is about the songs, the inspirations and the feelings it expresses not about whether ur social status will go up or not if u listen to it. AFI are one of the few bands i desperately wana see live, and i hav to clarify that this is my personal fav album of all time, it jus does something that no other album out there does, it feels right and i'm praying AFI can release another album like this, not exactly the same, jus with a the feel to it and variation.
And whoever said one for the emo kids is clearly some1 insecure bout wot they listen to, theres no need to try so hard, u like wot u like.

mirrorwave
07-13-2004, 01:01 PM
good band good album ok review
ok review now thats bein generous sum body else plz review this album and do it the review it deserves

RollerQueen
07-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Let's hope that the person who DOES do another review for this album doesn't use the annoying, imbecilic misspellings that you did. plz, wot, u, some1, ppl... Those words should be censored. Lazy little kids...

And this album is still pretty good. I've had it a year and I still take it out from time to time.

mike racaddic
07-17-2004, 05:05 AM
i want to kill the singer of this band he annoys me to much...but the band without the singer are good

man your a dick AFI without Davey is like chips without dip they taste good but theres no spice. Davey is the spice...THE SPICE IS DAVEY....DAVEY...DAVEY....THE SPICE!!!!! :naughty: :naughty:

RancidAFI69
07-17-2004, 08:56 AM
i personally thought that it was a great albumlots of awesome songs on it but they have taken a new change but they have done it well BUT i'd rather older stuff though i have and listen to sing for the sorrow alot

buzxgreenday19
07-18-2004, 05:32 PM
This album is obviously different from the others. A.F.I. music is progessing from album to album, but all their album's are kick *** so why complain. Black Sails In The Sunset is easily their best album, but this one is very good too.

-Miseria Cantare (The Beginning)
This is a little chant song at the beginning but it actually sounds really good.
-The Leaving Song Pt.II
Great song. Love the little guitar intro and the overall sound makes you think it like the other albums.
-Bleed Black
This is when the tides start to change and you can tell it won't be like the other albumsstarts out like anot so fast, ahh like nice pace i guess not fast not slow. Then you get to the chorus and it breaks out to a hard sound but then breaks down to acoustics but finishes strong.
-Silver and Cold
This is really different than most of there stuff, but proboly the best song on the cd. More slow-paced, but not too slow.
-Dancing Though Sunday
this one gets you back into the album fast paced and with a metalish like solo.
-Girl's Not Grey
The catchy song on the album. Brillant, just Brillaint, thats all i have to say.
-Death Of The Seasons
This is like nothing they have done before, plus Davey says ****. but has a cool techno section which i like alot. My second favorite song on the album.
-The Great Dissapointment
a slow song to calm you down after Death of The Seasons over five min. long but a good song plus I like it when the bass comes in.
-Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings)
Fast song but breaks down in the middle but comes back hard. The more of and Old School A.F.I. song .
-The Celluloid Dream
Very good song not much to say other than that.
-The Leaving Song
The slow song on the album. Great lyrics and i like the guitars on it too.
-...but home is nowhere
starts out slow put hitshard on the chorus. Good song to end the album with.

Mozzletoffed
07-22-2004, 11:14 AM
the review didn't cover all the songs, I personally liked this album alot for the bass. Hunter is an awesome bassist.

mirrorwave
07-31-2004, 01:54 PM
hmm sayin a song is great with lil explaination means nothing, depth is needed, i agree the music rules but without ilaborating why, then that means nothing.

theclash91
08-02-2004, 05:05 PM
theres nothing really bad with this album besides that they completely changed their sound! arghhh well nice review

lifes_a_fallacy
08-05-2004, 01:07 AM
This album changed the way that I listen to music.

Period.

Amenta
08-05-2004, 08:00 AM
i think sts is good but not as good as the others. i also think that (not all) but SOME people only sat that sts sucks because now afi is more popular and they are only saying that to sound cool. iduno if anyone on here does it but i know a few people who suddenly hate the music just cuz more people like it. dumb. ok flame away.
Theres a difference between getting a larger fan bse and selling out and going mainstream...

man your a dick AFI without Davey is like chips without dip they taste good but theres no spice. Davey is the spice...THE SPICE IS DAVEY....DAVEY...DAVEY....THE SPICE!!!!!
And he's the hottest thing to ever walk th earth!

anti_errorist
08-19-2004, 07:04 PM
STS is a great CD, it tells a story if you listen backwards... :D

ArockabillyFgirlI
08-19-2004, 08:41 PM
STS is awsome. And if you like their old stuff better, I hate to tell u this but their not going back. AFI hates going back. Each one of their albums are different the only two albums that kind of sound alike are Black Sails In The Sunset and Art Of Drowning. And they say that the kids that are calling them "sell-outs" just because they signed on to a big label are posers or trendies. AFI remakes themselves with every album they make. They've worked so hard to get themselves to where they are, they deserve to be huge. Like they say "WE ARE FORMING IN THE DARKNESS"

AFI~AFI~AFI~AFI

sr800bkBassist
08-28-2004, 05:48 PM
i used to hate this CD (and band), but then i saw them live last night. "the Leaving Song Pt. 2" and "Silver and Cold" were amazing live. i still cant get over that show. it was amazing...

dracula_SOAD
08-29-2004, 09:57 PM
First off.....to all you people that like thier old stuff better......come on!!! STS is so much more advanced musically then any of their earlyer work, and Davey's singing has improved greatly!! and i hate to be a dick but.....personally, i think if someone cant see how much better STS is then any of their older stuff, then your not really going by the musicallity of it but by the image (harcore, not mainstream).
That being said, i think this album deserves a new review.
and also.........i am a huge fan of all their work...old and new.

thejaylord
09-02-2004, 10:02 PM
i rely think that the album was way to emo, i rely ther old stuf thoug

Bartender
09-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Emo? How do you get that? It did move closer to rock, from punk..not emo though.

loonylarny
09-02-2004, 10:32 PM
This album has a few really good songs (Celluloid Dream, Dancing through Sunday) some decent ones (Paper airplanes, Death of Seasons) and some sub-par ones (...but home is nowhere, The great Disapointment) Overall, I think it is still a very good album and I would reccomend it. Altough it is not as good as the Art of Drowning (I haven't gotten Black Sails yet, it's $26 at HMV, but I've heard it's good) I'd still buy it

Bartender
09-02-2004, 11:01 PM
I agree they were tempting fate with the name, but I rather like The Great Disappointment.

punker446
09-03-2004, 10:51 AM
AFI will never, ever die. I've been into AFI for a long time and am practically obsessed with their old stuff (black sails) then sing the sorrow came out I thought it was one of the best things I've ever heard. Yes, they completely changed their sound... so fckng what?... they changed their sound with black sails, art of drowning is a little different from black sails... who was suprised when they changed with sing the sorrow? AFI is just one of those bands that will always re-invent themselves and because of that.. they will never Die.. AFI fckng rules and sing the sorrow is no exception.

splashfreak
09-03-2004, 02:04 PM

Same here.

Anyway, strange review, but not bad. I think it is their best album but that is because I don't like street punk, and I can actually listen to this album without going deaf from screaming. I think girls not grey is one of the most addictive songs ever...

Sep
09-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Alright, I did not like this review, so decided to have a go as well.

AFI is:
Davey Havok - vocals
Jade Puget - guitars, backing vocals
Hunter - bass, backing vocals
Adam Carson - drums, backing vocals.

Click here for a biography. (http://www.afitribute.com/bio/)

First off all, there are four different versions off this album;
- Red on black - the normal version.
- Silver on black - this print was limited to a number of copies, but isn't very rare.
- Black on black - RARE version, limited to 2000 copies only and also contains Clandestine, a strange video which is supposed to tell us more about the story around Sing The Sorrow. If you want to know what it's about, there are some good interpretations on the AFI message board.
- UK edition - Contains 2 extra songs; Now the World and Synesthesia.

This is AFI's poppiest album up to date, most songs are slower than their previous albums which isn't however always a bad thing. The backing vocals are probably better than they ever were before and Davey's voice isn't as yelly as before, but he actually sings, and he does it well! The lyrics are also the greatest Davey has ever written. They are very poetic and fit the songs really well. I will not comment specifically on the lyrics as they can be interpreted in many different ways.

Here comes the song by song review:

1. Miseria Cantare - The Beginning - Miseria Cantare means Sing the Sorrow in latin I think? Anyway, this is the song that is played instead of Strength Through Wounding at the start of every show of theirs now. The music is quite beautiful, with a great catchy drumbeat. The song has very little lyrics, but AFI seem to have turned it into a great song nonetheless. The ending where the whole band sings 'love your hate, your faith lost, you are now one of us' never fails to make the hairs on my arm stand upright.
GREAT intro. 5/5

2. The Leaving Song Part 2 - This is the second single off the album, and what a great choice it was. After the poppy Girl's Not Grey, AFI want to show they still have a harder side that is shown in the chorus. Davey really shows his vocal skills in this song as he easily switches between a screaming voice and a very melodic singing voice. The first 'real' song off the album will just as in The Art Of Drowning and Black Sails In The Sunset not let you down. This song seems to be about suicide. 5/5

3. Bleed Black - I've read a theory that the album was actually supposed to start with this song. That also explains why the Leaving Song Part 2 is before Part 1. This song has a VERY catchy chorus. 'If you listen, listen close, beat by beat you can hear when the heart stops, I saved the pieces when it grows.' The whole band again joins in the chorus which makes all the songs sound so special to me. Great song. 5/5

4. Silver And Cold - Third single off the album. Starts off with what sounds like a car driving in the rain. Then a piano bit comes in, followed by a slower dumfill and then the song starts. This song also has some electric drums. This song is one of the slower ones and is really quite beatiful. The first few times you hear this song you will be hooked, but it gets quite boring as most of the song seems to be consisting of the chorus. If you have the chance also check out their video, which is quite interesting and unusual. 3.5/5

5. Dancing Through Sunday - The shortest and fastest song on here. Most of the lyrics are yelled and the verses are very fast. Some very good and dark lyrics like: 'Will you lend yourself to beauty that will horrify?
Let me hide within your black, the still inside your eyes.' After the second chorus the song slows down, and after Davey yells 'We all have no chance in this horrid romance!' the song goes at full speed again and Jade puts in a great guitar solo. The song ends with another chorus and is finished within 2 and a half minutes. Right before the solo, at about 1:45 you should turn up the volume a little and you can hear Davey say something which sounds like he was punched in the stomach which is quite funny. :p 4.5/5

6. Girl's Not Grey - Their most famous song, and also the song that brought some many new fans to AFI. This song has some very tight drumming throughout the whole song and I like it how Adam opens up his high hat in the verses while doing this fast punk beat, sounds very cool. The whole song is very catchy, and in my opinion it doesn't seem to get any less good the more you listen to it. My favorite part is the snare drum part before the third chorus. Everything fits together so well there. The ending, after the last chorus where Davey sings 'What follows!' shows how beautiful his voice is. Also has a very cool and unusual video that you should check out. 4.5/5

7. Death Of Seasons - Their hardest song up to date. Davey screams throughout the whole song apart from the choruses. The lyrics are again very beautiful and very poetic: 'I watch the stars as they fall from the sky.
I held a fallen star and it wept for me, dying.' There is also a little techno part before the second verse which many people seem to hate, but I think it suits the song very well. The ending is however what makes this song so great, I think it also has a violin playing. This is also supposed one of their greatest live songs. Definitely a 5/5.

8. The Great Dissapointment The longest song on this record, it is about 5 and a half minutes long and quite calm and relaxed all the way through. This is the first song where I actually notice the bass and it sounds very well together with the drums. This song contains probably my favorite lyrics of the whole song: 'Oh how I smiled then, so near the cherished ones.
I knew they would appear, saw not a single one.' This is also the first song to have unusual song structure. Eg. it doesn't have the usual ABABCB structure most songs off this album have. My favorite part is the ending. 4/5.

9. Paper Airplanes (Makeshift Wings) Some people hate this song, others love it. You have the be in the right mood I guess, it is a very happy song with the usual dark lyrics from Davey which fit the song very well again. This song also contains some screaming and I think if you're in the mood for it this song will make you want to get off your lazy arse and start dancing all around the room. Very cool song. :) 4/5

10. This Celluloid Dream The intro of this song always makes me smile when Davey does the 'Oh!' before the song fully starts. I think Jade uses 2 or 3 guitars in this song and it sounds awesome. The chorus of this song has 2 parts and is quite poppy, but amazing at the same time. There is a really great part before the third chorus where the whole band sings 'All the Colors, upon living, all will turn to grey.' I like it how Adam uses the bell of his cymbals in the slower part. The last chorus is very awesome too. 5/5

11. The Leaving Song This is a short song that just has an acoustic guitar and Davey singing. This is a very good acoustic. You might have seen this song live at Musique Plus in Canada, which I think was also the only time they ever performed this song live. Not much else to say about this song. 5/5

12. But Home Is Nowhere... Unlike their last two albums, this album doesn't end with a slower song like Morningstar and God Called In Sick Today. This is actually one of the heavier songs on the record. I personally find this song the weakest off the album. The chorus is kind of boring. The screaming part near the end is however amazing, and the last chorus is pretty good too, where Davey screams instead of singing which pulls the rating of this song upto a 3.5/5.

After BHIN... there is about a minute of silence, after which a poem starts. This poem tells the story of Sing The Sorrow, but is possible even more vague than the lyrics of the whole album. The poem starts with a child (who is Jade's cousin, I believe) reading it out. The second part is read out by a young man and then an older man reads it out, as if the boy is getting older.

This Time Imperfect This is a secret song, well not really that secret as the lyrics are inside the booklet. This is also one of the slower songs off this album and Davey's voice is the most beautiful I've ever heard it. This song is truly amazing. 5/5

* 13. Now The World Only available on the UK version of Sing The Sorrow. Starts off with a quick drumfill, then the guitar and bass come in. The verses are kind of boring, but the chorus makes up for this. The best part of this song is the bit where it slows down in my opinion. The ending is alright with the whole band singing 'Will you cry for me?' 3.5/5

* 14. Synesthesia This is seriously one of the best songs I've ever heard. Starts off with a drumbeat where Adam makes his drumkit sound huge while he only uses 2 toms. The band also sings in the verse in contrast to most of the other songs on this record. The chorus also consists of two parts the first part being more quiet and in the second part the whole band joins in again. The guitaring is great in this song. Then the whole song slows down, and Davey repeats 'Let me feel all the words, echo in comfort' a few times. You feel the song building up slowly as he repeats this and you know a great ending will come. The ending is more than great in my opinion, it is incredible with the whole band joining Davey. I get goosebumps almost every time I hear this song. :) 5/5

Favorite songs:
Miseria Cantare
Death Of Seasons
This Time Imperfect
Synesthesia

Overall: 4.5/5 Pop-rock at it's best I'd say. :thumb:

vaynesinknots
09-20-2004, 10:45 AM
good review ^^. i love this cd, but i love all afi, from 'a fire inside ep' to 'sts'.

splashfreak
09-20-2004, 11:03 AM
6. Girl's Not Grey - Their most famous song, and also the song that brought some many new fans to AFI. This song has some very tight drumming throughout the whole song and I like it how Adam opens up his high hat in the verses while doing this fast punk beat, sounds very cool. The whole song is very catchy, and in my opinion it doesn't seem to get any less good the more you listen to it. My favorite part is the snare drum part before the third chorus. Everything fits together so well there. The ending, after the last chorus where Davey sings 'What follows!' shows how beautiful his voice is. Also has a very cool and unusual video that you should check out. 4.5/5

This is the song that made me get this album. I have drummed to it often, and the drumming definitely fits the song, but that interlude... ugghhh... I can't STAND that part in the song... Makes no sense...

Anyway, really good review. Yours i mean.

Sep
09-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys. :) And splashfreak, how come you don't like that part? I also really enjoy playing Girl's Not Grey on drums. It might actually be my favorite song on drums. :)

splashfreak
09-20-2004, 02:22 PM
^The biggest reason i don't like it is that my guitarist can't for the life of him stay on time with that part. I thought it might be me for awhile--even though i basically just play the same thing over and over again, i wasn't going to be bullheaded and say it wasn't my fault--but when we played it with the CD on, i always stayed on time and he always came off...

I don't know. He has fixed it now and he stays on time, its just that that part of the song seems so... out of place. I haven't seen the video, maybe that explains it.

But yeah, girls not grey is one of my favorites to drum too... behind Moby Dick and What If...

ddrfreak62
09-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Davey Havoks Hair RULES!!!

Dark Hero
09-20-2004, 03:49 PM
I have this album somehow.

RollerQueen
09-20-2004, 08:14 PM
^The biggest reason i don't like it is that my guitarist can't for the life of him stay on time with that part. I thought it might be me for awhile--even though i basically just play the same thing over and over again, i wasn't going to be bullheaded and say it wasn't my fault--but when we played it with the CD on, i always stayed on time and he always came off...

I don't know. He has fixed it now and he stays on time, its just that that part of the song seems so... out of place. I haven't seen the video, maybe that explains it.

But yeah, girls not grey is one of my favorites to drum too... behind Moby Dick and What If...

Mastadon and Creed? Regardless, I'm glad there's at least one band you and I enjoy and agree on, splashfreak :)

Good review and I agree. I like their post-A Fire Inside EP work but I like this cd the most. "God Called In Sick Today" is still my favourite track of theirs but as a whole, this album is teh roxorcist. Thanks again for sending me "Synthesia". The enhanced cd still doesn't work like that!

Sep
09-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Yeah I understand now why it didn't work for you. The secret site has been taken down quite a while ago. Oh yeah, AFI are working on their new album now! I can't wait! :)

splashfreak
09-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Mastadon and Creed? Regardless, I'm glad there's at least one band you and I enjoy and agree on, splashfreak :)

Uh, I've never heard of Mastadon... I was talking about Led Zep's Moby Dick...

Either way, yeah, u seem to like pop-punk stuff a lot, and that is not exactly my area of... um... enjoyment, sc this AFI album is as far as i go.

evuurvanbinnen
09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
when is their new album going to be out?
I thought they were stopping.
that's so cool . AFI is the best band

Sep
09-21-2004, 11:37 AM
You're the first Dutch AFI fan I've met, eenvuurvanbinnen. :) Anyway, their new album will probably be out around Februari or March next year. That's what I hope at least.

RollerQueen
09-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Uh, I've never heard of Mastadon... I was talking about Led Zep's Moby Dick...

Either way, yeah, u seem to like pop-punk stuff a lot, and that is not exactly my area of... um... enjoyment, sc this AFI album is as far as i go.

Mastadon's one of the better metal acts... And as for the pop-punk thing, not really. I like pop-punk about as much as any other kind of music in my rotation, ranging from metal to acoustic to SDRE-style stuff to jazz. Ah well. Zep is pretty much unmatched.

And yeah, Sep, that would probably explain why I couldn't get it. I guess it pays to keep up with stuff like that!

Can't wait for their new album. Did you hear about the MTV Icons thing they did for The Cure? I can't wait for that, either. Hopefully it wasn't their version of "Hanging Garden" (which was great but it's been more than half a decade since they recorded it).

CommieCanada
09-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Can't wait for their new album. Did you hear about the MTV Icons thing they did for The Cure? I can't wait for that, either. Hopefully it wasn't their version of "Hanging Garden" (which was great but it's been more than half a decade since they recorded it).
:eek:

WHEN IS THAT SUPPOSED TO AIR??!?!?

sr800bkBassist
09-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah I understand now why it didn't work for you. The secret site has been taken down quite a while ago. Oh yeah, AFI are working on their new album now! I can't wait! :)
yeah, when i saw them in August Davey said it was their last show for a few months, because they were in the studio, working on new material.

anybody heard their cover of NIN's "Head Like A Hole" yet? its sweet, and its gonna be on GTA: San Andreas.

sr800bkBassist
09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
i rely think that the album was way to emo, i rely ther old stuf thoug
then you've never heard emo before. idiot.

RollerQueen
09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
:eek:

WHEN IS THAT SUPPOSED TO AIR??!?!?

No word as of yet.

From the AFI website, as reported on September 16th, 2004:

AFI TO PERFORM AT MTV ICON 2004

Band to join Blink 182 at unique live tribute event to The Cure

London 15 September 2004: AFI, the MTV2 Award winners from the MTV Video Music Awards 2003 are the latest acts to be confirmed to perform at MTV Icon, an exclusive live tribute event featuring The Cure, to be filmed from Londonís Old Billingsgate Market on 17 September 2004, it was announced today.

The enigmatic rockers will join multi-platinum pop-punk legends Blink 182 at the live spectacular which will feature performances and testimonials from artists and celebrities who have been influenced by The Cure, their videos and their music. In an explosive finale, 25-year rock veterans The Cure, will take the stage for a show-stopping live set.

AFI's evolution into one of the most passionately worshipped and dynamic live bands on the planet is belied by its humble origins in the mid 90s as a primitive teen punk band. Since the late 90s, the current AFI line-up of Davey Havok (vocals), Jade Puget (guitar), Hunter (bass) and Adam Carson (drums) has forged a unique blend of unbridled aggression and introspective melancholy that has earned them platinum sales in the US and the admiration of critics and fans worldwide.

AFI's 2003 album 'Sing The Sorrow' is the band's most adventurous record yet, forging ever forward into uncharted territory like the virtuoso guitar intro of 'The Leaving Song Pt. 2' or the industrial dance disintegration of 'Death of Seasons,' as well as the enthralling and infectious verses and choruses of 'Girl's Not Grey' and 'Bleed Black.'

MTV Icon is designed to honour a band or recording artists for their significant contribution to music, music video and pop culture throughout their career. Blink 182, AFI and The Deftones will join event host - rock star extraordinaire Marilyn Manson - at MTV Icon, with more performers still to be announced. The event will be beamed across MTV Europeís network of 119 million homes from October 2004.

Sep
09-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Yeah AFI's version of Head Like A Hole is really good. I like it a lot better than the original actually. And AFI will most likely play The Hanging Garden.

Sep
09-23-2004, 04:56 AM
AFI played 'Just Like Heaven'. You can read all about this MTV Icon on http://board.despairfaction.com

splashfreak
09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Zep is pretty much unmatched.

Got that right! Well, if your music tastes are that diverse, we probably mutually like a LOT of bands. We just probably wouldn't agree on favorites...

Anyway, i was listening to this album yesterday... I think there are only three songs i don't like... for a punk band (even if this isn't a very "punk" album), that isn't bad for me.

DekWannaBFlea
09-23-2004, 10:52 PM

Word

evuurvanbinnen
09-24-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm belgian and seeing AFI playing again , that rocks

thejaylord
10-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Emo? How do you get that? It did move closer to rock, from punk..not emo though.

i mean the lyrcs

frontsideflip4u
10-24-2004, 11:57 PM
i loved this cd

Arucard
10-25-2004, 06:19 AM
man that review was harsh, and also very incomplete. If your going to give a cd a negative review, at least make it a long rant. this cd is pretty good, but some guy on page one of this thread said that early AFI was streetpunk hahaahah

splashfreak
10-25-2004, 07:21 AM
^dude, read the review on page 5--that review is much better.

Otherside
10-25-2004, 09:16 AM
I would have to say that Synthesia is most definitly the best song on the cd. It's simply amazing. For those who don't know, synthesia is where your senses are messed up. For instance, you can "smell" the color orange or "feel" the smell of cinnamon.

Sep
10-25-2004, 12:54 PM
I would have to say that Synthesia is most definitly the best song on the cd. It's simply amazing. For those who don't know, synthesia is where your senses are messed up. For instance, you can "smell" the color orange or "feel" the smell of cinnamon.

Agreed. :thumb:

Iai
10-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Must say, I love this album. I keep returning to it regularly, even now. There's a thrilling sense of depth to it that you rarely find in any genre, let alone in a supposed pop-punk band.

One thing that bugs me, though, is This Time Imperfect. It's the best song on the album for me, yet it's shoved away 13 odd minutes into the final track. How lame is that?!?

Miseria Cantare, Death Of Seasons, Synesthesia, and Dancing Through Sunday all kick it too.

albert_bass
12-19-2004, 06:23 AM
This cd doesn't deserve this review. If you don't like it it's ok but you shouldn't review something you knwo you don't and won't like from the beggining. It's just not fair

Iai
12-19-2004, 07:43 AM
This review was written way back in 2003, when this forum was still fairly new, so you should bear that in mind. Besides, I remember there being another review of this somewhere in the thread, that was much more charitable.

Bartender
12-19-2004, 08:41 AM
I have the worst luck with AFI albums. I lost my copy of The Art of Drowning quite a while ago, and now this bump made me look for my copy of Sing the Sorrow which, of course, is missing. This leaves me with just two EPs.

thebitterend137
12-19-2004, 09:38 AM
old afi rules over new afi..b4 jade came they were so much better..i hate to say it but geoff had much better basslines than hunter also..hunter is a very talented bassist though :)