PDA

View Full Version : (Rock) The Darkness - Permission To Land

CrazyLegsMC
11-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Permission to Land is the debut LP from the British Rock band "The Darkness" Here's a quick run down on the band for those who dont know them.... They play a classic rock style of music, I would say they're Queen meets, Ac/Dc, meets Led Zeppelin.

Some very notable songs are "I Believe In a Thing Called Love" and "Love Is Only a Feeling" and "Get Your Hands Off My Woman Mutherfuc*er". These are only there big time definate "single" songs, but dont get me wrong the rest of the album is not filler its qctually rather good with a variety of fast and slow rock songs.

Some might argue that The Darkness are ripping off all the great bands of the past, and that Justin Hawkins, the singer and one of the guitarists, voice is too high pitched and is bad. In my humble opinion, Justins voice is a breath of fresh air to the rock scene of today, he has a great voice, and I believe his voice works well with this style of music (just as Freddie Mercury's voiced did with Queen).

Overall I think this is one of the best genuine rock albms I've listened to in the past decade. I recommend this to all rock fans, new or old out there.

4/5 (solid cd with great tunes, I cant wait to see what their next LP can deliver)

manuscriptreplica
01-21-2004, 07:04 AM
hehe i read this review when you had 666 posts, which is insanely cool.

even though i think the singer is a total wanker, the music is pretty good.

Maveryck
01-21-2004, 07:58 AM
I'll do a track-by-track.

1. Black Shuck

Starts with an awesome classic rock riff, very reminiscent of AC/DC, with the dual guitars and driving rhythm section. The verses show off the singer's vocal versatility, from Freddie Mercury-like high sections to throatier hard rock sounds. The chorus isn't too memorable, but it works nicely enough. A more chaotic, almost free-time bridge comes next, followed by the out-chorus, where the singing gets more and more ad libbed, culminating the mandatory rock and roll finish to round out a very competent, rockin' starter to the album. 4/5

2. Get Your Hands Off Of My Woman

The opposite of Black Shuck, this song has a good intro, mediocre verses (with little in the way of the catchy melodic content this band are best at), but a fantastic chorus. A cool ascending guitar line leads into the chorus, which features singing at a range comparable to - you guessed it - Freddie Mercury. The bridge/solo comes after the second chorus, with some cool layering between the dual guitars, and then a final chorus to finish this kickass track. 4/5

3. Growing On Me

The first single to be released off Permission To Land, this didn't catch my ear until I heard myself singing it to... myself. The song is very catchy, despite the poor sound (production-wise), which is odd, because the album as a whole is very professionally done. The solo vocals in the verse and backed up vocals in the chorus are complimented very well by the understated yet talented guitar work, and the bass and drums don't intrude on the main melodies. After a brief chordal interlude, comes the first real solo on the CD. It's short, but it shows The Darkness aren't just another band of rhythm guitarists. Then the outro solo confirms this, with licks in the vain of seventies hard rock. Killer track. 4.5/5

4. I Believe In A Thing Called Love

Wow, this song rules in every way. The chorus stands out more than anything else on the whole album, just for the jokingly over-done vocals (in falsetto British accent)! The solos are more than up to the task of carrying the momentum, and the false build-up after the second one (it leads to a quieter bridge instead of the expected chorus) is fantastic. The instrumental section at the end gives the guitarists their chance to shine, with blazing solos, a driving rock riff, and a even legato outro figuro. ;) 5/5

5. Love Is Just A Feeling

The drum intro heralds the coming of the power ballad (essential on what is, at heart, an original hair rock tribute album). The guitar sounds here are really diverse. From the electric melody lines in the intro and the chorus, to the acoustic arpeggiation of the first verse, and the tremolo strumming of the second verse, it's a subtle showcase of the diversity many people fail to see in The Darkness. The chorus is fantastically melodic, ensuring this slower song never gets boring, and the solos are splendid, featuring bluesy bends, harmonised lines and even climactic tapped passages. The outro is almost folksy, with dual acoustic guitars reprising their roles of arpeggiation and speed-strummage from each of the verses respectively. I could listen to this for quite a long while. 5/5

6. Givin' Up

The intro/verse riff here is so reminiscent of the early Rolling Stones, it's a wonder there aren't lawsuits. But then, there's the chorus, with its descending vocal melody and catchy-as-hell hook (givin' up, givin' up, givin' a fuck). Add to the equation the 24-bar solo, in which each lead guitarist gets a chance to voice his style, with harmonisation from the other, and we have an adequate song. Neither filler nor killer. 3.5/5

7. Stuck In A Rut

The drumming comes through in this song's intro and verse more than anywhere else on this album so far. Despite the grooviness of the early sections, the chorus's mediocrity and breakdown's total rhythmic bankruptcy spoil this outing somewhat. The call-and-answer solo makes this a worthwhile song, but I might find myself skipping past it in the future. 3.5/5

8. Friday Night

Another ballad-type song. That's not a complaint though. This song is so listenable, and on closer inspection, it's quite a well written track too. Probably the deepest lyrics on the album (even if they are a carbon copy of The Cure's Friday I'm In Love), set to vocal melodies that are a pleasure to hear Justin sing. The harmonised guitar line in the bridge is pure gold, and the outro solo leaves the song lingering nicely, without going into the kind of theatrics some other songs do on this album. 4.5/5

9. Love On The Rocks With No Ice

The bad humour of the title aside, this song rocks. Probably the most "heavy metal" song on the album, with sludgey rhythm guitars comparable to Black Sabbath, and consistently driving riffage, a la Judas Priest. The chorus, as always, features outlandishly high vocals, but it still works with the song here. In fact, without that touch of contrast, this would be a lesser song. The solos really set this song apart though. From the 3:00 mark onward, there's a barrage of pentatonic lead work that is just plain cool to listen to. And just as it starts getting tiresome, Justin Hawkins interrupts with a shattering rendition of the word "ice" that sends the rest of the band into a frenzy, paradiddling and tapping like mad to provide an appropriately heavy rock finish to this above-average heavy rock song. 4/5

10. Holding My Own

This song isn't as much a breath of fresh air as it is a choking waft of sickly sweetness. The comparison one can draw between this and the ballads of 80s hair metal is amusing, but short-lived. The competence of The Darkness at writing catchy melodies salvages some of this track, as does the powerful yet shamefully short first solo, but on the whole, this is just too cheesy. Maybe after forcing myself to listen to More Than A Feeling, I'll be able to take this track seriously. Then again, maybe not. 3/5

Overall Rating: 4.25/5

I'd've given it 4/5 but with the general fun-ness of The Darkness to listen to, most especially the engaging singing, makes this album that much better than the sum of its tracks.

P.S., I'm seeing them at the Big Day Out in 36 hours (exactly :eek:), so I hope they appoint...

...as opposed to disappoint, of course. :)

Tomahawk
01-21-2004, 08:29 AM
I think that the Darkness are the best pop metal since Def Leppard. I love the album, mainly because I'm a sucker for a good hook, and this album is full of them.

And I also cannot wait to see them at the BDO. Should be awesome live.

brucezepwhostones
01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
The Darkness are amazing. I saw them at the mini-concert in Virgin Megastore in Times Square and it was unreal. Every song on Permission to Land is killer. One cool thing about the show- during love on the rocks, Justin got onto this guy's shoulders while the guy walked through the crowd and while justin was on his shoulders, he was playing an awesome solo. It was really entertaining.

JAStewart
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I don't like them. I think they are way over-rated. If you want good glam rock go to: Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Ratt, Poison, Ugly Kid Joe & so on.

rik
01-21-2004, 02:23 PM
they are ****ing fantastic live anyone whos into them has got to go and see them. i saw them at brixton academy and had a great night

brycey
01-21-2004, 05:50 PM
i hated them at first, but they're "growing on me!"

[/lame]

well done on the reviews maveryck and crazylegsmc.

Mephisdan
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah i agree, totally love the album

JAStewart
01-22-2004, 02:43 PM
When 3 Inches Of Blood supported them at whatever show it was, it should of been the other way around.

Led Zeppp
01-22-2004, 08:07 PM
I don't like them. I think they are way over-rated. If you want good glam rock go to: Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Ratt, Poison, Ugly Kid Joe & so on.
sorry? what? i can't hear you there in the past.

don't compare them to past bands...

they're a great new band and i really like the singers voice to be honest.

sheenaisapunkrocker
01-23-2004, 07:04 AM
permission to land is the best album of 2003 the darkness are brilliant

suttsy
01-24-2004, 02:03 AM
their best song isn't on the album, "how dare you call this love", but the best one on the album is "growing on me" or "friday night". For me, vocals are basically 60% of the reason why i really like bands or certain songs and i love the darkness...

chimp_spanner
01-24-2004, 06:08 AM

Yeah that always gets on my nerves - when people think that a band can't be good cos it's "been done before" by an older band. Why be so bitter at the fact that a NEW and young band is making good music, even if it has been done before?! And I mean if anything, it's a testament to bands of the past that the Darkness are making the kind of music they are and bringing it to a younger generation. Don't you think kids are gunna listen to the Darkness and say "hmm, what other bands are there like them that I can listen to?". Next thing you know they'll be out buying "Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Ratt, Poison, Ugly Kid Joe & so on". So I don't see a problem with a band like the Darkness. It's alllllll good!

JAStewart
01-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Muse - Absolution is the best album of 2003.

JAStewart
01-24-2004, 06:24 AM
With the Darkness getting all these little ****ty teenie boppers into them they will sell out and become more pop rather than this "glam rock" they seem to somehow go under.

Although I love glam rock/hair metal whatever I think that music needs to take new paths now, start "new" musical genres as such: Muse.

JAStewart
01-24-2004, 06:27 AM
Also The Darkness are plagerists! They stole a couple of L.A Guns riffs, changed it a little, made a lot of money. That my friends is called Plagerism. Also "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" intro has a strange similarity to AC/DC - T.N.T except up two frets.

chimp_spanner
01-24-2004, 07:11 AM

Well yeah it does rock ;)

Muse and Sikth are, I reckon, probably the two best british alt/rock acts out at the moment. Lets hope this is a sign of things to come from this little island!

suttsy
01-24-2004, 11:59 AM
haha, the intros of i believe in a thing called love and tnt are pretty similar. I dont think they were trying to rip them off, there have been so many rock songs over the years, 2 different one are bound to be similar. I still like them.

sadisticmonkey
01-26-2004, 07:39 AM
I believe the darkness is a fresh reminder of how music is supposed to be fun...

they are cheese metal at its finest... GOOD SHOW!

Ste
01-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Brilliant album! Brilliant Band!!! Great Interviews too! :D

jimmymcmahon2001
01-26-2004, 08:07 AM

Yeah, you tell them not to live in the past Lep Zeppp

sheenaisapunkrocker
01-26-2004, 09:01 AM

with all of its two and a half good songs

HappyButters:thumb:
03-03-2004, 12:08 AM
One of my friends decribed the album as "the only one I have that I can listen to the whole way through without skipping the tracks because they're c**p"

I think its a great album!

moderaterock222
03-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Mavryck's review was better. Its a solid cd but i dont think it deserves all the hype. Growing on me being my favourite track, that song is excellent

Bartender
03-03-2004, 01:12 PM

I really don't like that album, or Muse in general.

Like modrock said, solid but not spectacular...its not an essential album, but if you like the style of music, then its more worth it than others of that style. (My favourite track is Love On The Rocks..)

Joel_DK_Clash
05-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Not a huge fan of this band, but they got some good music. I believe in a Thing Called Love is so friggin catchy.

Gorego85
05-27-2004, 03:46 AM
I saw them at Big Day Out, they definately know how to work a crowd. Deserved a spot later in the day though. Great CD, but I have to agree that Muse - Absolution is the best CD of 2003

MESH
05-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Amazin album. Great live!! Worth buying

Lageris89
05-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Decent music with the most annoying singer ever. If he didn't do all that pointless over the top high voice singing they wouldn't be as popular I don't think. They offer somethin' fresh and alternative, but it isn't something I like :(

AceSWhyld
05-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Being the Hair Band freak that I am, I could not wait to hear these guys after I read about them. Finally ran into I Believe In A Thing Called Love while channel surffing one day. Started out pretty good. Nice riffs, nice 70's 80's rock vibe. Singer wasn't bad. Thought I finally found a new band that played my kind of music. Then he hits that Falseto! Please Shoot me NOW! Being the hair band mark that I am, I love a good falseto. THAT IS FAR FROM A GOOD FALSETO! He sounds like Tiny Tim on crack! Every time I hear them compared to Queen, I can imagine Freddie spinning in his grave. What a joke>

Ganondorf
05-29-2004, 07:31 AM
I hate The Darkness

Flying V Guitarist
06-17-2004, 07:12 PM
The Darkness are a very good band live its a must to go see them live if you never get a chance sucks for you :) personally though i think they are a much better live band good reviews

village_idiot
06-17-2004, 07:41 PM
This CD is amazing. I love somewhat heavy music with good guitar parts, this fit very well. I agree the singer's voice is the main focus but once you get passed it, it is amazing. I love listening to all the songs on this CD. I think my favorite is either Love Is Only A Feeling or Friday Night. Amazing new group I cannot wait for more.

nEwbish baSsISt
06-17-2004, 08:27 PM
the darkness are cool.....good album...

Death_Leprachauns
06-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Uh, I believe in a thing called loved is about the only good song. All of the others wear down after awhile. Sorry but I have morefun listening to weird al.. :smash:
Now its off to the Pub! :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

br3ad_man
06-20-2004, 09:53 PM
I don't understand the big deal with this band. They seem to be just a fad to me...

hair metal was stupid in the 80s, now these guys are trying to bring it back. meh. Musician wise they are ok, but like I said, nothing special, and they have really bad attitudes.

PunkPopMix6859
07-04-2004, 12:13 AM
I give it a 4.2/5

br3ad_man
07-04-2004, 12:25 AM
The other thing that annoys me is the whole "music is supposed to be fun". That's just not true, how would you like it if all music was happy? I know I think it would suck.

Tomahawk
07-04-2004, 02:26 AM
The other thing that annoys me is the whole "music is supposed to be fun". That's just not true, how would you like it if all music was happy? I know I think it would suck.

It would suck if all music was happy. But it would also suck if it was all serious. Even the pop music on the charts these days is totally lacking in fun. It's good to have a band that just takes the piss, while making some pretty catchy pop rock.

Also they aren't trying to bring back hair metal, because they don't sound like hair metal. They're more influenced by Def Leppard, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, and Queen.

brak_jb_page
07-29-2004, 11:30 PM
this is a great cd. and the whole point is theyre not trying to write meaningful, complex music. theyre pretty much a zeppelin/queen/acdc revival band. they just have alot of fun, much like the black crowes. they were pretty much a faces/rolling stones revival band, and they were gods. the darkness are extremly talented musicians. they blow jet outta the freakin' water anyway. i hope that, like the black crowes, the music takes on a life of its own rather than just making the same 70s revival album 5 times. rock on darkness! :evil:

Woodstock
08-17-2004, 07:29 PM
good review :)

although I was kind of dissapointed with this CD

Howard's Beast
08-19-2004, 01:40 AM
Also The Darkness are plagerists! They stole a couple of L.A Guns riffs, changed it a little, made a lot of money. That my friends is called Plagerism. Also "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" intro has a strange similarity to AC/DC - T.N.T except up two frets.

Funny enough when i bought Permission To Land and put it in for a play i accidentally skipped forward to 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' and said to myself, "**** wrong CD, i put in TNT oh well ill listen to it anyway because it rocks. WHOA **** this isnt TNT it really IS the right cd..."

I still like the album but some songs sound much like they half-arsedly grabbed parts off other bands and re-worked them. Other than that great album.

If music isn't fun why the **** would i play and listen to it???? Fun does not = happy, bright, and cheery. Perhaps these 'happy songs' would lack originality and content, but maybe the world would be a better place to live in? Nah just kidding har har har.

EinzingerIsGod
08-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Funny enough when i bought Permission To Land and put it in for a play i accidentally skipped forward to 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' and said to myself, "**** wrong CD, i put in TNT oh well ill listen to it anyway because it rocks. WHOA **** this isnt TNT it really IS the right cd..."

How do you put in a cd and then start listening to it and think its a different cd? I dont know about you but I would have known that I was listening to the Darkness if I was the one that put in the cd.

People who are fans of the hard rock AC/DC type genre that dont like the Darkness dont like them because justins voice which people should just get over and listen to the music, and because they are trying to hold on to the past. The Darkness are a refreshing new mainstream band from the pop punk that has plagued radio waves for years now. Hopefully they will help other bands with talent to break into the mainstream and rejuvinate rock.

The Scentless Apprentice
08-19-2004, 03:02 PM
my dad brought this, nuff said.

*yeah he rules!

no1_fishy
08-19-2004, 03:49 PM
i met justin hawkins!!!! when i saw them live in newcastle there were great that was at the time when i believe in a thing called love came out a liked it then but i am really sick of it nowbut enuff of me wafflin gd review

jazzalto1
08-19-2004, 11:01 PM
I love The Darkness! The video for I Believe in a Thing Called Love is so bad that it's good.

MediocreGuitarist
08-20-2004, 07:56 AM

Led Zeppelin are plagerists too, but everyone thinks they rock.

Sendor
11-26-2004, 05:06 AM
After the travesty to music that was grunge and post-grunge music that's upbeat and fun is a breath of fresh air. Finally we have some musicians with some real talent making a name for themselves, not some junkie bangin out power chords and calling it a song. I'm not saying all music should be happy and uplifting, I'm just saying the last thing we all need right now is another Nirvana.

punkster998
11-26-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd give it a 8/5. Probably the best rock album of 2003. And the best current band yet. :thumb:

dirge for november
11-26-2004, 09:26 PM
i love the darkness. good review too.

dirge for november
11-26-2004, 09:30 PM
shut up *******

in no way is that contributing. your just making up some crap about them cos no one likes muse with matt "im a punk rock poofter" bellamy.

Griffith
11-26-2004, 09:39 PM
I thought this album was a great bit of fun.

I just try not to take the band too seriously. ;)

We'll see what happens with their second release.