PDA

View Full Version : (Alternative/Indie) In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003

JAStewart
11-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Rating: 5 (out of 5)

Summary: Great retro disc, don't complain about lack of early hits!

Comment: Despite a couple of expensive imports, this is the only domestic disc to cover any post-Document material and is a great overview of R.E.M.'s 90s years. The remastering is crisp and superb, and the liner notes are entertaining and informative, written by Peter Buck of the group. This set puts together the big radio hits that everybody knows, with the lesser-known singles, and a few rarities and new songs (the obligatory new songs put on there to get hardcore fans to buy music they already own). So far, the consensus is that 'Drive' should have been included, and I more than agree, since it's my favorite song from 'Automatic For The People', but that's what owning the albums is for as well. Also, despite its uneven quality, their smash album 'Out Of Time' is represented only with 'Losing My Religion', and seems under-represented.

Aside from small complaints about the tracklisting (which is outstanding, but not perfect, if there is such thing as a perfect greatest hits album), this is a wonderful pickup for fans and novices alike (I'm somewhere in-between, owning a few R.E.M. albums, but not any 90s after 'Automatic For The People',). As for the reviews regarding the lack of early hits, there is already a compilation covering that time period called 'Eponymous' and it has the songs you're looking for from their 1982-1987 period.

Suggested song: Bad Day.

sting-ray
11-14-2003, 08:41 PM
I think that it was a great idea to make one of those "greatest hits" cds. I also am disappointed that there werent more songs from out of time... but overall i think that its an awsome disc to have and strongly suggest it. I'll look into "eponymous" a little more too.

my rating: 4.5 stars

Originally posted by iloveteddy
REM frickin rules.

please read the forum rules.

rik
01-21-2004, 03:17 PM
i was dissapointed not to see shiny happy people on the album, but they have picked good songs for the album

BirdsOfFires
01-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Can I get a song list?

Badmoon
01-21-2004, 06:21 PM
1. Man on the Moon
2. The Great Beyond
3. Bad Day
4. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
5. All the Way to Reno (Your gonna be a star)
6. Losing My Religion
7. E-Bow the Letter
8. Orange Crush
9. Imitation of Life
10. Daysleeper
11. Animal
12. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
13. Stand
14. Electrolite
15. All the Right Friends
16. Everybody Hurts
17. At my Most Beautiful
18. Nightswimming

br3ad_man
02-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Great cd. One of the best Christmas presents I have ever recieved. Your review was very incomplete.

Hydrogen_Apple
02-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Good CD...needs everything before WB though, cuz it's missing "It's The End Of The World"

New track Bad Day is all right.

4.5..had some tracks that I just couldn't stand.