PDA

View Full Version : (Rock) Pearl Jam - Lost Dogs

JAStewart
11-14-2003, 02:10 PM
All of the songs sound so wonderfully produced & theyre all so clear to listen to - Eddies voice is more powerful & moving than ever, on the song "Bee Girl" he proves it.

There's enough unreleased songs on here to make up an entirely new Pearl Jam album, & like on all Pearl Jam albums, not one song on here is a let down...

Pearl Jam has this album in a format much like their studio albums.... rocking hard at first, then reflective & spiritual later - the lyrics are brilliant & did i mention the singing? :thumb: Im listening to Eddies voice right now & this guy has to be the greatest singer of all time! & im not just talking about rock singers - im talking about since the beginning of mankind, this guy has to be the greatest singer ever, put that with the best song writers ever, and you have the greatest band ever!

'Alone', 'Drifting' are both redone, & they both sound great - of the unreleased songs, 'Fatal' seems to be the favorite amongst the majority of fans

Aswell as 6 minutes after 'Bee Girl' begins, as a hidden track, is the powerful & emotional song '4/20/02', about the death of Layne Staley, who was a god to me when he died & i remember it as being one of the worst days of my life... i know it sounds a little mean, but im glad Eddie & I felt the same pain, even if he knew him personally

I think every hardcore Pearl Jam fan, much like myself, have been waiting a long time for PJ to come out with a double album, & now its come true & it couldnt of been any better!

'Lost Dogs' also has, in my opinion, the greatest song of all time, 'Yellow Ledbetter'.

There's also enough unreleased Binaural songs on here to make a Binaural EP, which is awesome, considering i think Binaural is the best album ever.

As you can already tell, I can rant on & on about how Pearl Jam is the greatest band of all time, but 'Lost Dogs' says that louder than i ever could come close to.

& one of the greatest things to add, is that the fans know theres more than enough material for 'Lost Dogs 2'!

Pearl Jam has once again treated their fans better than any band out there does, they deserve the most hardcore underground fanbase in the world, & they got it...

Songs:
'Yellow Ledbetter'
'Bee Girl'
'Drifting'

5/5

Absolutely one of the best Pearl Jam CD's ever.

talk show host
11-15-2003, 07:55 AM
It is an amazing cd. I bought it last night and couldn't be happier with it.

My favourite tracks are Alone, Fatal, Strangest Tribe, In The Moonlight and Sad.

StonedMoogle
11-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Pearl Jam has been one of the biggest influences to me.
You can just listen to this album from start to finish and immediatly get hooked into the music.

My favorite tracks are "All Night", "Alone", "Hold On", and "In The Moonlight".

Helmet
11-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by talk show host
It is an amazing cd. I bought it last night and couldn't be happier with it.

My favourite tracks are Alone, Fatal, Strangest Tribe, In The Moonlight and Sad.

"Sad" is a great song! :D

I also bought this a week ago and its great!

StardogChampion
05-31-2004, 10:11 AM
ok this is a great album, glad you dint' go trhough each song though lol....

anyway you forgot to mention that all the songs are old- they are all b-sides. notice the connection between Lost dogs, and lost songs... blah whatever (im a hardcore pearl jam fan)

Sad, Yellow Ledbetter, Alone=my favorites

they made this album mainly to get out of the contract with their record company (they didn't like them) and I am pretty sure they are independent now....

PS-top 5 best voices/vocalists (not in order) 1. Muse 2. Queen 3. Eddie Vetter (Pearl Jam) 4. Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service) 5. Jules somebody (The Strokes)

Shadows
08-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Where are all the Pearl Jam fans!!?? Well, I'll be interested to see what people think when I review Vs. and Binaural next...

Iai
08-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Decent review, but WAY too biased. I'd give it a 3.5, maybe 4. After all, this is just a collection of songs that weren't good enough to make it on to their albums proper. It's not essential for people who don't like Pearl Jam or don't like grunge, which a 5/5 rating indicates. Essential for PJ fans though, I'll give you that.

Theo
08-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I've never liked Pearl Jam, but Yellow Ledbetter is a very good song. It's kinda dumb its un "unreleased" song.

And btw they're not "grunge". Never were.

YDload
08-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Don't be too hard on the review: looking at the date, it was one of the first reviews ever posted in this forum. Also, JAStewart plagiarized a lot of his reviews too, but this one seems to be a little more honest.

Shadows
08-10-2004, 04:57 PM
I've never liked Pearl Jam, but Yellow Ledbetter is a very good song. It's kinda dumb its un "unreleased" song.

And btw they're not "grunge". Never were.
Why do you say they're not grunge?

Iai
08-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Why do you say they're not grunge?

There's a lot of people that say that grunge never happened at all, and it was just this label the media put on a load of bands that came out at once. Nirvana were really punk, Pearl Jam really classic rock, Alice In Chains really metal, etc. Of course, this ignores the plain fact that all of these bands have a common sound running through them.

Theo
08-10-2004, 05:16 PM
There's a lot of people that say that grunge never happened at all, and it was just this label the media put on a load of bands that came out at once. Nirvana were really punk, Pearl Jam really classic rock, Alice In Chains really metal, etc. Of course, this ignores the plain fact that all of these bands have a common sound running through them.

Oh grunge did happen, and Nirvana were a part of it (they didn't enjoy that label though). It just had nothing to do with Pearl Jam in terms of sound. For me, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana are the three top "grunge" bands, despite the fact they all have a unique established style, their music is dark, and most of the time slow and heavy - a fusion between fast pased punk and slow metallic powerchoding.

Iai
08-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Oh grunge did happen, and Nirvana were a part of it (they didn't enjoy that label though). It just had nothing to do with Pearl Jam in terms of sound. For me, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Nirvana are the three top "grunge" bands, despite the fact they all have a unique established style, their music is dark, and most of the time slow and heavy - a fusion between fast pased punk and slow metallic powerchoding.

Fair point. By those grounds, with the exception of a few tracks, Pearl Jam aren't grunge. Then again, I've always thought as grunge as having being descended from country (Niel Young being the 'missing link'). Maybe it's best to call them, and Young, proto-grunge?

Shadows
08-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I agree that Pearl Jam didn't have the heavier punk/metal sound that other grunge bands did, but I think their music still posesses importent elements that make them grunge such as heavy drumming, rough or dirty sounding guitars, and somewhat angst-ridden lyrics, not to mention that the band was from Seattle.

Iai
08-10-2004, 06:06 PM
I always wondered why bands from Seattle are always so depressed. Does it rain a lot there, or something?

Theo
08-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Yes, it rains a lot there. Have you seen a movie called "The Ring"? It's shot in Seattle, and as you might guess, it rained in almost every scene. So dark and depressing. Maybe that's the reason "Where did you sleep last night" gives me the chills, just that line "In the pines, in the pines, where the sun don't ever shiiiiine" is just...beautiful and sad(pretty much sums up Nirvana's music :) )

Iai
08-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I've seen Ringu, the Japanese original. I refuse to watch the American version because I just know they'll have ruined it (and most people I've asked have told me that, anyway).

Smackers
08-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Fatal is one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs now that I've heard it and have a copy of it. Brother is really great too. Very nice review.

Theo
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
I've seen Ringu, the Japanese original. I refuse to watch the American version because I just know they'll have ruined it (and most people I've asked have told me that, anyway).

Actually, IMO the American version is better. It's different, they actually show the girl's face and stuff. It has cool lil music too. I mean, they're totally different movies, you can't say the american version ruined the japanese, they're just different. Personally I prefer the American because the acting is superior (Naomi Watts and the kid that plays her son are both great), and the images are very memorable. I mean I thought about this movie LONG after i saw it, it had such an impact on me.

mexicanfloydian
08-13-2004, 03:41 PM
NIce review!

Chaser2006
08-13-2004, 04:26 PM
I recently bought Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs album and I love it...especially tthat song 'Dirty Frank' its badass