PDA

View Full Version : (Alternative/Indie) Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

mx
11-14-2003, 01:02 PM
I saw these guys live at my university, and picked up an album right after the show - great stuff.

The music is really unique, generally following along alternative lines, but very abstract and different (think slightly radiohead). Some songs have few to any lyrics, and all feature eerie guitar lines and hushed lyrics. However - it's very good, and still remains stuck in your head for days afterwards.

I recommend:

Stars and Sons
Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix)
Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old Girl
Cause = Time

Nothing musically amazing here, just good interesting music that I've been listening to for a few weeks now.

Rating : 3.5 out of 5

Ilovethesexpistols
07-11-2004, 07:16 PM
^that guy sucks.

sadisticmonkey
08-23-2004, 01:30 PM
almost crimes is an amazing song

Luxor
10-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Released '02

http://www.rol.ru/pictures/misc/news/brokenso.jpg

Members: Justin Peroff, Brendan Canning, Andrew Whiteman, Kevin Drew, Charles Spearin, John Crossingham, Emily Haines, Evan Cranley, James Shaw, Leslie Feist, Jason Collett.

Background Info: As you can see, theres quite a few band members. You may even recognize some names from other bands, (Emily Haines - Metric, Leslie Feist - Feist). From my understanding, it's just a gathering of artists from pre-existing bands sideproject. With an ever-changing member list. I saw BSS during the summer at a free show, they were extremely good live. I was very satisfied, (especially since I paid absolutely nothing to see them). This is BSS's second album, the first being an instrumental called "Feel Good Lost". I like "You Forgot It In People" more.

Tracklisting: (Best songs in bold)

1. Capture The Flag
2. KC Accidental
3. Stars And Sons
4. Almost Crimes
5. Looks Just Like The Sun
6. Pacific Theme
7. Anthems For A 17 Year Old Girl
8. Cause = Time
9. Late Nineties Bedroom Rock For The Missionaries
10. Shampoo Suicide
11. Lovers Spit
12. I'm Still Your Fag
13. Pitter Patter Goes My Heart

There are a lot of good songs on this album, but there are also a lot of mediocre ones. If the entire album was as good as some of the better tracks, this record would never leave my CD player. I'll review my favourites.

1. Capture The Flag: This is an instrumental intro to the album. It's only 2 minutes long, so it doesn't bore the hell out of you. They did a good job.

2. KC Accidental: One of my favourites off the album, absolutely amazing track. The vocals don't come in until about the 2 minute mark, the build up to the vocals is probably the tracks best feature.

3. Stars And Sons: You'll notice with the band having so many members, they change up the singers in different songs. I like it because it gives every song a different feel. This song has a different vocalist than KC Accidental, his voice is a little more laid back.

4. Almost Crimes: I'm pretty sure they switched singers again in this track. This songs a little harder than Stars And Sons, and maybe even harder than KC Accidental. It's the first track I heard by BSS, it's a good one.

7. Anthems For A 17 Year Old Girl: Emily Haines sings this entire song, I love her voice. I was blown away when they played this song live, they did such an amazing job. The banjo is a very nice touch. If you're planning on downloading some Broken Social Scene tracks, this is a must have.

8. Cause = Time: Another one of their best songs. I can't help but bob my head to the beat whenever I hear this song. Flawless, excellent, track. Another must have.

9. Late Nineties Bedroom...: This is a good track, but live, it's an amazing track. On the album, it's basically an intrumental with very quiet vocals in the background, you can't even hear them. When i saw them live, Feist and Emily Haines did some vocals for this song, it made it 100 X better.

10. Shampoo Suicide: Theres so many people on vocals during this song, I think theres about 4. I love the way they sound together, this is a good track.

13. Pitter Patter Goes My Heart: Another instrumental. With violins and such, it's really pretty.

So, about 1/3 of the album is just boring. All the tracks I reviewed are awesome. The rest, meh. In conclusion, this is download-er. For me to buy a CD all of the songs need to be good. The rating is going to be pulled done by those tracks. Final Rating:

3.9/5

Scott Herren
10-17-2004, 04:01 PM
This is a better review then the first one for this album, but it still is lacking. I would give this album a 4.6/5. I agree with you on the songs you like, but I also like Lover's Spit, I'm Still Your Fag, and Looks Just Like the Sun.

Luxor
10-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I know. I usually can't spend too much time one one particular thing. I get bored way too easily.

br3ad_man
10-17-2004, 04:43 PM
^that guy sucks.

I saw a link to this album in Request a Review. I wouldn't normally reply, but that was hilarious!!!! :lol:

Ornery Cephalopod
10-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Ahaha.

I would give this guy a reaming like I did to the Leviathan dude, but I'm not in an ornery mood like last night. Plus, this is MX, El Presidente of the site (?), and he has cephalopod tentacles in his avatar. I like cephalopods.

blueyxd
10-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Strange that this thread gets bumped up just today, someone from uni lent me this cd just today.. I haven't listened yet.. too tired. Will do tomorrow and get back to this thread

superpeer
10-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Merged.

RIPJoeStrummer
10-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Awesome album, they're supposedly really, really good live. I was going to see them but I got really sick the night of the show and missed it. This album definitely deserves a 4.4/5

blueyxd
10-19-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm having first listen now... it's not my kind of thing to begin with.
And all these electronic hisses, bleeps and whoops are annoying me, they have been in every song so far to track 4.
I'm not sure if this guy I got the cd from sourced from low quality mp3's or a cd, but the sound is really dirty and the drums, especially the cymbals sound awful (an obvious sign of bad mp3's).

Track 5 sounds nice and laid back though, best song on here so far.

blueyxd
10-19-2004, 06:34 PM
well then.. track 5 onwards was really nice and easy going, the robo-voiced one was the only one I remember not liking. It was a great improvement on the first 4 songs.

Luxor
10-19-2004, 07:07 PM
The first four tracks are so good. They're way better than #5, you're crazy man.

Kaden
10-19-2004, 07:56 PM
^that guy sucks.
:lol::lol::lol:

I actually laughed out loud. Best post ever.

br3ad_man
10-20-2004, 04:13 AM
:lol: so did I

wetdog
10-20-2004, 10:29 AM
that is possibly one of the cheekiest but most hilarious things ive EVER seen!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(plz dont ban me mx, you have power over me always...)

Kaden
10-20-2004, 01:55 PM
:lol: so did I
It's even funnier because he's banned :lol:

Luxor
10-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Did anyone even read my review. :upset:

Iai2
10-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I did. But you were kinda overshadowed by the hilarity of the first reply. :)

Iai
10-20-2004, 04:35 PM
^The hell?!?!?

The JoZ
10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that was my response to MX's non review too.

Kaden
10-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Yeah, that was my response to MX's non review too.
I'm you for Halloween!

The JoZ
10-20-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm you for Halloween!

Yes, I saw. I'm quite honored, actually.

Guess who I am?

Kaden
10-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Yes, I saw. I'm quite honored, actually.

Guess who I am?
ESP Gryffin?

40 oz 2 freedom
10-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Buddy Bigsby ^

Kaden
10-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Buddy Bigsby ^
Snaps, that's who I meant.

The JoZ
10-21-2004, 09:59 AM
I don't say 'snaps' you fucking retard.

And this thread blows, the music here fucking sucks, why can't we get some fucking uber technical deathmetalhardsupercore music in here?

:p

Kaden
10-21-2004, 12:15 PM

And this thread blows, the music here fucking sucks, why can't we get some fucking uber technical deathmetalhardsupercore music in here?

Danny Carey is much better than any death metal drummer anyway. [/you]

The JoZ
10-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Now you're catching on :D

Luxor
10-21-2004, 02:42 PM

Oh you shut it up, Bigsby. :angry:

Interstate
12-23-2004, 01:28 PM
great review man I agree with you completly :thumb: great album!

libertine2020
01-03-2005, 02:46 PM
that is possibly one of the cheekiest but most hilarious things ive EVER seen!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(plz dont ban me mx, you have power over me always...)

Oh please, it was 3 words about some guy sucking. If that's one of the most hilarious things you've ever heard, you need to get out more.

Scott Herren
01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
The guy sucking is the admin for the site, that's what made it funny.

Kaden
01-05-2005, 02:28 PM
I have Anthems for a 17 Year Old Girl on a mix that a chick burnt me, it's an amazing song.