PDA

View Full Version : Screaming... some pointers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

silver
09-18-2003, 06:42 AM
I read the post on screaming and I noticed although it describes the scream and the kinda bands that do the screams it doesn't really describe technique ... besides saying "sing from here and push" ... easier said than done.

I've been doin vocals for about 4 or 5 years now and have taken singing lessons and have developed a pretty good "chino" or maynard scream (like he does on ticks and leeches). You could also use this same technique to do screams of the emo kind. I've never been interested in doing the low pitch grunt screams you here in slipknot so I won't be really getting into that... although once you master this scream those one are ridiculous easy to do.

Before you start: Just be carefull that reading this in no way can really prepare you in the way a proffessional instructor can. I highly reccomend singing lessons before you start screaming your head off so you can learn some proper form. But if you're impatient and think you can read instructions carefully err go ahead :)

Alright here goes:

#0 shut your door, or make sure nobodys home, this is pretty important because you can't be shy about this at all, if you do it half assed its gonna sound like ****... also your parents or whoever your living with is gonna think your a fackin psycho. No worries at my house though, they already think im crazy.

#1 take a deep breathe :) and open your mouth, wide motherfacker... nobodys gonna here you if your shy and have your mouth half closed. Practise your breathing every night put a book on your chest and lift it up with your stomach as you breathe in. Eventually try to see if you can breathe in and breathe out only once a minute.

#2 stand up straight and put your shoulders back so your vocal cords are open--i cannot stress this enough, i realise that many singers on stage do not do this but that is because they are so well trained they think they dun have to :) well they're wrong, in the studio when they do it, I'm almost 100% sure they aren't crouching or jumping around. Since you are just starting make sure you do this so you don't **** up your voice.

#3 raise your cheekbones up so it looks like your kinda makin a stupid grinning face. I'm not really sure what this does, but it works, every vocal teacher I've had has told me to do this. If you want to do as little damage to your vocal cords as possible do this.

#4 Practise with a microphone, nobody can sound like they do without a microphone... its the distortion you get through the PA that makes the scream sound good. Plus when you practise with a microphone you get a feel for how loud you actualy have to scream. When you have a mic you'll find you really don't have to scream so loud... thus the reason why a singer can go do shows 7 days a week and not **** up his voice.

#5 (this is where some of you maybe leaving us) Ok, do know the difference between full voice and falsetto? You know how you can sing 2 ways, one with your full voice (gut) and one a little girly voice thats comming just through your throat... it doesn't have any power really but it can go really high. When you scream, you want to use this voice if you don't want to wreck yourself. For years i tried to scream with my diaphram and i kept hurting my throat and for some stupid reason i thought eventually it would get used to it... it doesn't. Please do not try to do this unless you are doing low pitched screams.

Anyways, into the mic, with your falsetto voice (i cannot stress enough that you use your falsetto voice and not your full) , and I know this sounds stupid but try to imagine that your singing out of the temple of your head... and push as hard as you can a scream. It doesn't have to be loud even, you are using a microphone, it just has to be pushed really hard from your throat.

#6 don't get discouraged if you don't get it right away... it takes time. I would sugguest if you haven't already take some vocal lessons... it helps a lot strengthening your falsetto. If you don't have a strong falsetto you'll never be able to scream.

And lastly, pick songs that have easier screams at first. Listen to the breathing of the screams, and try to breathe when they do. Do not try to do something insane like Deftones - Elite LOL I've been screamin like 2 years now and i still can barely get through the whole song without goin red in the face from lack of air. Go for quality over loudness, your scream doesn't have to be loud, you can turn the mic up, as long as it sounds hardcore. The loudness of your scream will come with time. I strongly recommend easy 1 sylable screams first :) I like my own summer.
When he's doin "cooooooomeeee" "shooooveeee" "the suuuuuuunnnn" "asssiidee"

Note: Kurt Cobain "screaming" isn't screaming, its aggresive pitched singing and isn't something you can reallyteach, If you can't hit those notes you can't hit them. Its like asking someone to teach you to have a higher voice. Its true with a lot of practise you can increase your vocal range, but in most cases you are pretty much stuck with what you got. If you have a crummy deep voice like scott stapp of creed lol don't expect to be doing and cobain screams any time soon.

Stimpy
09-18-2003, 10:47 AM
thanks anyway!! i think it would work, but when I scream I **** up my voice man!! ....I cant talk normal anymore..you know...your voice sounds like a frog or something

nevermind I play lead guitar:) But I like to scream hehe

silver
09-18-2003, 11:45 AM
just follow the technique and you won't hurt your voice at all, if you are hurting your voice you aren't doin it right :P

Stimpy
09-19-2003, 12:31 PM
yup, i know:p i'm going to try your technique;)

toolisgod
09-19-2003, 01:54 PM
screaming is so hot, i can do it sometimes, i'm gonna work on it tho

Griffin_Page
09-19-2003, 02:49 PM
I wanna yell like Tom Araya.

thesis
09-21-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Griffin_Page

me 2

Poisonthewelll
09-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Posion the well has some good screams, especially Nerdy and Botchla

QueenofNowhere
09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
its funny, i have like 50 different cool screa,s and i dont do them like you said and i dont **** up my voice, i think in my whole life, ive never been so pround (tear) ****

QueenofNowhere
09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
its funny, i have like 50 different cool screa,s and i dont do them like you said and i dont **** up my voice, i think in my whole life, ive never been so proud (tear) ****

silver
09-23-2003, 07:58 PM
thats cool, i was just tryin to teach one method of high pitched screaming that I know actualy works and doesn't **** up your vocal chords at all. With this technique I've found you can do an hour or more set without hurting yourself... If you know another or better way hey cheers :) post up and share what ya know.

axeslinga_32
09-24-2003, 12:23 AM
this thread has helped heaps, i'll muck around with it infront of the mirror later on haha but the cheek bone thing will look so bad coz im asian and fat so my eyes will be like nuthin but tiny slits haha, the falsetto thing is interesting, im more comfortable using my diaphram but I'll muck around with it

silver
09-25-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm gonna listen to this tom arya scream and see if i can't figure what you guys were talkin about.

Soundless.Vow
09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
This is a much more descriptive thread than that "SCREAMING 101" crap. I'm gonna post a link from there to here.

Peace out,

Soundless.Vow

check us out at http://www.soundclick.com/soundlessvow/
or http://www.soundlessvow.tk

JewlDragon911
09-26-2003, 01:19 AM
while its common knowledge that smoking is bad for your throat, i have found that by smoking cigarettes, i can scream a lot better.

(as a side note, chino is the reason i began singing and eventually became singer for a band. i would highky recommend deftones to anyone who hasn't heard their sh*t yet.)

joe.

Videric
09-26-2003, 11:27 AM
hahahahahahaha

silver
09-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Alright so I'm back with a few more pointers and a few things which I forgot to mention in my first post:

Everybody has a different vocal range. Not everybody has a high voice not everybody has a low voice--but everybody for the most part can be taught to scream. I reccomended earlier that if you are doing reletively psychotic high pitched screams that you use your falsetto voice. However everybodys falsetto starts at different areas, so... at certain notes your falsetto will be stronger. For the most part you are stuck with the range you have, you can strengthen what notes you can hit, by doing excercises... if you have a piano and you know a little bit of theory you can practise singing different notes in the C major scale (do re mi fa so la ti do). A good place to start your falsetto singing for most males is around C5 or the high C or the B4(middle C being C3). So basically my point is, if you think that practising and practising and screaming your guts out till you are blue in the face will eventually help you reach higher notes STOP... you cannot change the depth of your voice... unless you take hormone pills or remove your testicals... lol. Work with what you got, even if you got a really deep bass range you can probably get a decent high falsetto scream goin if you practise at getting it strong with proper exersises. I think after about 2 years of practising when I started I increased my range by 1 and a half steps or 3 semitones... which is a lot for a guy, but I am a still a baritone, I could never change into a tenor or anything.

I realise that many people want to just jump into screaming or singing but treat it like any instrument. If you want to play guitar, you can't just jump into it, you gotta practise the basics... and then move on to the harder stuff. Every idiot and there uncle thinks they can be a singer-- ie. american idol. ITS AN INSTRUMENT, treat it like one, practise everyday and you will see results. If you practise half an hour before a show, once a month its going to show.

OK, so lets assume you've gone ahead and you've mastered the technique I've posted up--and you're screamin like a champ.

Here are some things to keep in mind before doing a show:

1) avoid drinking orange juice or any other kinda acidic fruit or sugary or carbonated drinks: Its has citric acid in it, it irritates your throat... its not a BIG deal, but every little thing helps.

2) don't drink any alcahol: Alcahol will dehydrate you like a mother****er, if you drink heavily right before you sing you can seriously hurt your vocal chords and risk permanent damage. Don't believe me? Bono from U2, used to be an amazing live singer, he used to be able to hit a C5 head on full voice live, now he sings it falsetto. Why? Alcahol. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds ok, but you know... not as good as he used to be.

3) avoid drinking milk: I know the guy in the other forum said to drink milk before you do a scream... I can see why this would be important if you are doing an improper technique that hurts your vocal chords... however assuming you are following my instructions milk will just build up a HUGE amount of mucus in your mouth. After about 30 minutes of your set you might start coughing it up between songs like an idiot or worse during a song.

4) DO drink warm water or tea: hey, it can't do you any harm can it? Talking and singing makes the throat dry, you need to liquidate it a bit there. If you are into that herbal ****, then put some echanacea in your water or tea, IT WORKS GREAT!

5) DO try to eat about 2-3 hours before you go up. You will always sing better on an empty stomach, plus you feel lighter.

6) DO take a piss: i think this one explains itself... 90% of the time you will be so nervous you'll forget to do this... nothing is ****tier than when you're rockin it out on stage and you gotta piss...

7) Get confident: Do whatever you have to do to be relaxed, you are the frontman here, if you just stand there and don't jump around and aren't confident in yourself people aren't gonna get into it. Don't get too excited and forget the stuff you practised, get into it but keep a clear head and remember your theory. Obviously your not gonna be able to stand up straight with your shoulders back ALL the time, but... try your best to keep form as much as possible until you are really confident with your voice. Unless your maynard or something, then i guess you can just crawl up in a fetal ball and nobody will give a **** cause your f*ckin maynard!

8) Avoid smoking ciggarettes: I always hear stupid **** from singers who say that smoking helps them sing cooler or scream cooler. I can recognize that smoking will give you a sort of raspy sounding voice... however you can learn to emulate this style of singing/screaming with practise. Its not necessary to smoke to sound raspy--its taking the short road out. If you are sombody who smokes to sing better in a few years 2 things will happen. You will develop large amounts of flem in your vocal chords causing you to cough like a fiend on stage all the time during sets, and two you MAY loose some of your vocal range--I've seen it happen, to friends, so yah... ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA. But whatever, if you're sensible about it and don't smoke like a fiend... its not that bad, but if you want to be a serious performer and want your music to sound its BEST then i would consider loosing it, or for gods sake don't do right before a show.

Next post will be about some warm up vocal exercises you can use before a show, and before practising.

I also wouldn't mind if anyone is interested... I could put what I have learned from my classical, jazz, and rock training in singing up here as well in a different thread.

ps. I listened to the Tom Araya scream, you can emulate it to a reasonable degree with this style. However he does seem to scream on key (with a tone), which is a little bit harder to do... especially if you are more of a screamer than singer, thats why I would recomend learning to do both if you want to be a live performer.

oblin
09-26-2003, 06:08 PM
#5 (this is where some of you maybe leaving us) Ok, do know the difference between full voice and falsetto? You know how you can sing 2 ways, one with your full voice (gut) and one a little girly voice thats comming just through your throat... it doesn't have any power really but it can go really high. When you scream, you want to use this voice if you don't want to wreck yourself. For years i tried to scream with my diaphram and i kept hurting my throat and for some stupid reason i thought eventually it would get used to it... it doesn't. Please do not try to do this unless you are doing low pitched screams.
so to do the deathmetal type screams i'd would have to use my full voice? could you explain that type of scream abit more?

silver
09-26-2003, 07:28 PM
give me an example of a deathmetal band, and give me a song by them that would you like to start with. I will listen to it and let you know.

Chewbacca
09-28-2003, 09:11 PM
how does finch scream? sometimes hes like bending over when he does it. awesome tho.

axeslinga_32
09-28-2003, 10:38 PM
exactly how the dude instructed, the finch scream aint hard

Electron
09-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by thee unsound
give me an example of a deathmetal band, and give me a song by them that would you like to start with. I will listen to it and let you know.

Well seeming as that other fella has not replied to you yet, i will ask about Children of Bodom. They aren't exactly deathmetal, blackmetal most ppl classify them as, but songs such as Silent Scream (Slayer cover, but get it anyway!!) the singer has this scream/yell at the beginning which is something he does quite often in any of their songs. Also at the end around the 3:05 mark, that stumps me also.

I'm also keen on asking what stuff you sing? What bands do you normally sing along with? And what voices have you mastered? That will help some of us a hell of a lot.. me anyway.

Cheers

Rooster
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I also wouldn't mind if anyone is interested... I could put what I have learned from my classical, jazz, and rock training in singing up here as well in a different thread.

That'd be awesome. I'm in training at the moment to be a rock vocalist, I'd like to end up somewhere in between Axl Rose and Chris Cornell one day. I sing in a quoir (Axl used to sing in one) and take two different singing lessons (One is free, the other I pay for), and I'm always trawling the net for more advice. Some from an actual vocalist would be much appreciated.:)

oblin
09-29-2003, 06:58 PM

fear factory - desecrate or morbid angel - where the slime live, depending on wich is easier to start off. eventually i'd like to be able to pull of cannibal corpse and the end of all sorta screams.

axeslinga_32
09-29-2003, 11:15 PM
what about the will haven scream???!!!!

silver
09-30-2003, 11:25 AM
ahh too many questions, sorry been busy with school lately.

Chewbacka: like axeslinga said, the finch scream you can do using the technique i posted... the fact that he bends over when he does it doesn't make him scream it better... if you want to bend over thats fine... but its a lot harder to learn bending over.

Oblin: I listened to the Fear Factory stuff, this isn't my forte` by any means... but i did notice a few things. things... #1 he uses a lot of effects on his voice, so just through a microphone you'll never be able to replicate it just right. #2 he has a really low voice... =) if you have a low bass or low baratino voice this is probably right up your alley. I however am more of a high baritone / low tenor. So its sort of difficult for me to replicate it, but I tried my best and was somewhat successfull.

The technique is the same as the one i posted earlier, however I found that I couldn't really hit those low notes with my falsetto. I had to do it low with my diaphram. So take a deep breath, not with your chest but with your stomach--what i mean is, as your breathing in make your stomach expand every time you breath, and when you breath out let it contract. Its not a natural way of breathing, but as instructed earlier in my first post there are methods of building it up so it becomes second nature. Anyway the stronger your lungs get, the least amount of air you will need to scream. basically you have to breathe in with your diaphram, and push heavily on the back of your throat and tense your face up so it almost feels like your screaming out of your forehead. Again, i suck at this type of scream, i don't have a low enough voice to do it really well... I posted from what I can hear is the technique, but what I can't teach is style, that is something everybody has to learn on your own.

electron: I listen to children of bodom - silent scream NICE !!! The technique is exactly the same as the one I have been posting actualy. The singer from what i can hear is using his falsetto pushed really hard, its not "in theory" any different than the screams we here so much in screamo like the guy from the used uses. Whats different here is style: and this is really something you can't teach a person, my advice is to follow the instructions i posted and really LISTEN to the way he screams (if that is the way you want to scream). Its my opinion that a really good singer, can sing any style.

I myself am a toolhead. But i like old metal as well, but deffinately I am more prog metal influenced than anything. and yah for a while tried to copy the whole maynard style, but after a while got sick of it and i invented my own style... my own voice--thats when you will sound the best. Trying to sound like someone else will get you nowhere... well unless its pearl jam lol that seems to be getting a lot of crappy bands places *cough cough* creed *cough cough* nickelback *cough cough*

Rooster: I'll get around to it eventually, I have to get back to studying now :( ****in mathematical statistics is killin me ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was never in a choir, what kinda range do you have? Chris cornells awesome :) i wish i could sing some of those high notes, the highest note I can hit is A#4 full voice... anyways back to studying hope i answered the questions... if ya feel i wasn't clear enough feel free to keep buggin me ill get to ya eventualy.

Electron
09-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Cheers dude :)

oblin
10-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Practise your breathing every night put a book on your chest and lift it up with your stomach as you breathe in. Eventually try to see if you can breathe in and breathe out only once a minute.
so this would be using the diaphram, right?
also when i growl for a while my throat feels raped, do you have any suggestions as to how to deal with that?

silver
10-02-2003, 08:29 AM
I forgot something VERY IMPORTANT: STAND IN FRONT OF A MIRROR. This is imperitif if you want to progress. Why? Especially since you do not have an instructor standing in front of a mirror will remind us about things such as proper form. Seeing yourself slack off and not doing the right technique will remind you to do it!

Oblin: I would sugguest that when you practise, practise just to the point of pain... meaning, practise until it feels like if you screamed or sang another note you would experiance strain. Once you start getting pain STOP immidiately take a break, either wait till the next day or wait a few hours before starting again. I sugguest drinking some tea afterwards:) yep thats ONE of the exercises you can do, there are others you can also do and here are 2:

Once you learn to breathe properly through your diaphram practise counting... remember to practise technique (cheek bones up, imagine singing through the temple of your face, shoulders back and standing up straight) and count from 1 to 25, then 1 to 30, then 1 to 40, then 1 to 60, and then so on. Try not to rush the count, try to announciate each number properly. Im not saying you have to go slow, but make sure you are saying the numbers and not just slurring them.

another exericise is practising sentances here is one, one of my teachers used to force on me:

"The Lemon tree is very pretty and the lemon flower sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat."

See how many times you can say it properly without taking a breath :) remember technique :) This is good for people who find that on stage they start to run out of breath and sound stupid breaking apart words with there breaths :P

ah time for class :) later

screaming_symphony
10-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Ok, i tired your method and my voice is sooooo f*cking sore right now. Is not that torn apart vocal chord pain though, more of a really well worked out muscle sore so im hoping that means itll get stronger after this. I didnt sound good doing it at all. Did anyone else sound stupid in the beginning trying it out? Ive been singing for years and wanted to learn how to scream safely wihtout f*cking up my voice, i hope i start to sound decent. How do i get that rough Finch scream out of a high little girl sounding falsetta? It just doesnt sound right when i do it. I was a tenor in choir so i have kind of a high voice as it is, any more pointers you could give em would be VERY helpful. Thnx.

Rooster
10-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Rooster: I'll get around to it eventually, I have to get back to studying now :( ****in mathematical statistics is killin me ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I was never in a choir, what kinda range do you have? Chris cornells awesome :) i wish i could sing some of those high notes, the highest note I can hit is A#4 full voice

I really don't know, at first my teacher said it was very high for a bloke but then she said it was very low. I can hit most of Cornell's notes pretty well (Without his kinda witchey personal sound mind) but I can't hit the second note in about girl by Nirvana. It's weird as hell.:confused:

Doll
10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
How would I go about producing a Marilyn Manson type scream? And another thing, I don't really have a problem with losing my breath but when I sing I tend to salivate a lot. It really screws me up. Any pointers on how to get around this?

silver
10-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Screaming symphony: Here is what i think you're problem is-- are you practising with a microphone? Screaming without killing your throat is about quality over loudness, push, but go for SOUND not loudness, you can get loudness with a PA!!! Turn up the PA to a really high volume and let the scream roll on the back of your throat, and see how loud you can get it, it sounds hardcore. I'm tellin ya it works. It does take a while to get good at it though--practise to the point of pain, like working a muscle. I wish i was a tenor :( I also just realised a few days ago, its not so much your falsetto as it is making a blend between pushing your whispering voice and your falsetto... using the falsetto more if you want higher range... its freakin hard to explain sorry! Just mess around if you can't figure it out bug me again ill try my best to put it all in theory.... remember im still learning as well :)

Rooster: About a girl eh? Depending on which version you are singing that high note in it is a A or a G# (or is it Ab i was never sure). A if your singing along to the one of bleach, and G# if you're singing off unplugged. I can hit those notes and I am a baritone tenor, so i am guessing you are a baritone. So im not really sure how you can sing chris cornell songs unless you are singing the lower ones, like maybe "like a stone".

Doll: From what I hear of him the "Marilyn Manson scream" isn't really a scream, its just singing aggressively. I'm basing this off of the songs i know by him (which is limited lol), the fight song and the beautiful people. If you think otherwise post a song and ill listen to it and ill tell you whats what. So right its done with the diaphram, and its just hitting those high notes raspy, theres no real way to sound like "just like him", everybodys voice is different. I guess you could practise impersonating him if you wanted. This type of scream requires you to be a singer... ie. you can't be tone deaf lol or it will just sound retarded... you could probably fake your way through it by screaming... but its not the same. WHat you want is singing lessons not screaming lessons :P maybe ill get around to that someday. This is the same kind of scream as the linkin park, or nirvana scream... none of them sound the same because they all have different voices, but its essientially the same shat.

I invite any tips anyone has on screaming or singing, or aggressive singing as well cause as i said im learning as well and don't have all the answers. Hope this all makes sense.

mortzor
10-03-2003, 09:10 PM
thee unsound you are a bloody legend
im not a very good singer but i started lessons and my teacher is really bad, so this helped out a lot
yeah more singing lessons would be mad
ta dude

Rooster
10-04-2003, 04:57 AM
Rooster: About a girl eh? Depending on which version you are singing that high note in it is a A or a G# (or is it Ab i was never sure). A if your singing along to the one of bleach, and G# if you're singing off unplugged. I can hit those notes and I am a baritone tenor, so i am guessing you are a baritone. So im not really sure how you can sing chris cornell songs unless you are singing the lower ones, like maybe "like a stone".

I was singing with a guitarist (On electric), drummer and bassist, so I guess you could say it was the version from Bleach. The Chris Cornell songs I sing are mainly the Audioslave numbers, a few Temple of the Dog and Soundgarden tunes and 'Right Turn' with Alice in Chains. I've never really seen him as that high a singer to be honest, is his solo stuff very high pitched?

TheUnavoidable
10-04-2003, 06:26 AM

How is it done on In Flames - The Jesters Race?

Sacrificer
10-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Well the highest scream I have ever heard is made by :) Death - Painkiller.I have gone from the nut of the guitar to the bridge and there is no note like this,Chuck Schuldiner is one helluva singer.I havent heard anybody to scream like him.

silver
10-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Rooster: errr i guess you don't know much about nirvana there buddy :) bleach was released before any cd, so yah... unplugged was done much later.. anyways he sings high in a lot of songs, ie. pretty noose, superunknown, and in audioslave he sings pretty high in cochise. His solo stuff kinda sucked (from what I've heard) i never listened to it much.

Mortzor: I would sugguest trying out a few people, I think I went through 3 or 4 teachers before I found out one I liked. An important thing to do is ASK THEM TO SING, if they won't do it, then f*ck it you want to know the person you are learning from IS GOOD, you wouldn't learn to drive from someone who can't drive would you lol ? A lot of people who teach suck balls. Also if you are a guy, get a male teacher and get a teacher who is into the kind of music you are into, not someone pretending to be. You don't want to learn to sing rock music from some guy singing opera. Its important to get a guy, because they will understand your voice more than a girl will, and vice versa for girls. I say this mainly because singing lessons are pretty FACKIN expensive. I remember i dished out about 50 bucks for em at a point from this dude who was really good. The best deal i got was when i took a university course in vocal it was 450 for a year of singing lessons lol awesome! Ya and this guy could scream, like a mother****, any band, I'd tell him to listen to then next week he'd come to the lesson go into the mic and hed do it, thats the kinda person you wanna get!

If you wait a week or two, I will eventually make a singing pointers thread. (hopefully)

italic zero
10-04-2003, 07:40 PM
thank you for specifying the blend between whispering and falsetto, i know exactly what you mean (what i do when i try to make funny noises like gollum) but i still don't understand how that can sound anything like the screams that i have heard. they sound more like just manually distorting your voice. so far that has what has worked best for me, however it has hurt my throat a bit, so i've stopped for now as it will probably wreck my voice.

TheLorax42
10-04-2003, 07:54 PM
i think drinking pop or milk helps the scream, because the way i do it is to scream through the fluid in my throat.

Rooster
10-05-2003, 10:22 AM
Rooster: errr i guess you don't know much about nirvana there buddy :) bleach was released before any cd, so yah... unplugged was done much later.. anyways he sings high in a lot of songs, ie. pretty noose, superunknown, and in audioslave he sings pretty high in cochise. His solo stuff kinda sucked (from what I've heard) i never listened to it much.

No no!! I know full well that Bleach was their first, it's just the fact I had electric guitar accompaniment rather than accoustic that I'd be trying to sing that version. Erm, this is kinda confusing for both of us so I'll leave the issue of About a girl.

Yeah, come to think of it, Cochise is high as hell, I've pretty much always just screamed that song or sung it quieter and deeper, I don't think I could go that high properly, seems I can go higher with screams. Which I guess is pretty normal;)

Your posts are really helpful dude, thanks. My teacher is female by the way, but I now have another who's a male, but he's gonna have me singing classical.:upset:

screaming_symphony
10-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Hey Thee, thnx for the new whispering falsetta scream discription. Since my voice is so high to begin with my scream sound alot like Bert Mckracken from The Used. I can sound just like him in all the songs and really dead on in Poetic Tragedy at the end of it. I did it right too cuz i was still able to sing about 4/5 of my full potential, i guess itll get better as i do it right? I still have yet to hit that Nate Barcelow from Finch scream. Im gonna keep at it though, i wont be happy till i can do it all!!!!!!!

Thnx alot though Thee, you dont even know how much you helped me. All my doctors told me to stop screaming cuz it was gonna fry my voice (i screamed thru my diaphram) but i couldnt stop cuz it would change the entire wasy i sing. So REALLY, thnx man.

silver
10-06-2003, 08:14 AM
rooster: classical isn't bad... I took classical and jazz in university last year, but it really wasn't my thing. I remember at my examinations they said i was too "hollywood" ... wtf does that mean lol. If you like it do it, if you don't I'd look for another teacher, its way too much money to spend on soemthing you're not interested in.

symphony: hey no problem man, the more you practise it the better it will get. After a while you'll be able to get volume and you won't be so dependant on the mic--and the best thing is it doesn't hurt your voice! Eventually you will learn different ways to tweak it, just little things here and there that are kind of impossible to explain in writing, so you will be able to do different styles of it. So good luck, hopefully soon I can post some of my bands stuff so you guys can here my screams, It'd be great if you could post some of your stuff :)

SchismBassist
10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
Yeah that would be good. I can scream kinda like Geoff from Thursday. But i cant sing that well which really pisses me off. Do you have any good vocal exercises to maybe get my voice up to what it should be? Plus, can't wait for to hear your band.

screaming_symphony
10-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Lol, man i had a mixture of singing in the car and choir. The main you would need help with is breathing. Thee can prolly helpe you out with that. The main thing i would say is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!! Never overdrive your voice either, just sing as loud as you can with distorting the sound. Eventually youll get the presence and the sound you want. Mostly i would say suck it up and pay for a few vocal lessons and just use the lessons on your own. Later.......

screaming_symphony
10-06-2003, 09:35 AM
I ment as loud as you can WITHOUT distorting your voice. ;)

italic zero
10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
there is an edit button you know ;)

oh and thee unsound, i'm doing what you said, but i can only create freakishly high sounds that sound like horror movie sound effects. help?

i am a mid to high baritone by the way, if that makes any difference

silver
10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
use the mixture between your whisper/falcetto voice instead of the just falcetto voice, it toughens it up a bit. Its the technique i am using now. Also make sure you are screaming on the exhale, and not the inhale, screaming on the inhale sounds scary and wierd and really really really f*cks up your voice.

TheUnavoidable
10-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Once again, how do i scream like In Flames - The Jesters Race?

pinkbass
10-07-2003, 08:50 AM
one way i learned how to scream is just scream the alphabet. that would help a lot. get used to screaming the sounds of the letter too. !!!!

silver
10-07-2003, 08:56 AM
TheUnavoidable: Listened to the song, it seems to me its the same sort of technique used in the fear factory stuff. This isn't my forte` but as i posted earlier you can't really use your falcetto here... the voice also sounds like its tweaked a bit in the studio. Anyways in an earlier post I said to use your diaphram, but I also recently discovered if you use the "whisper voice" in correlation with your diaphram you can get a NICE tone going. Look on page 2 and read the bit i wrote to that guy about the fear factory scream. All the other technique should be the same... im not sure what else to say :)

thad_rad
10-08-2003, 08:31 AM
if you want to check out some great scream singing with wide range, check out The Dillenger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me. Their cd release show is in Charlotte at tremont music hall this month :D

italic zero
10-08-2003, 11:03 AM
what about tick tacks?

italic zero
10-08-2003, 11:23 AM
ok, seriously now. when i add more whisper into my scream it just layers a whisper hiss on top of the freaky falsetto scream. when i do it completely whisper, it sounds a little closer to something like deftones, but still not close, and it's not even a scream... i need to get this down...

silver
10-08-2003, 11:32 AM
you just have to practise, lol, it doesn't come right away for most people... i know it can work, use a microphone if you can't get the volume you want, eventually you won't be so dependant on it.

italic zero
10-08-2003, 12:32 PM
yeah, i guess, i just don't really know how to do it right... oh well, i'll try to find a voice teacher.

when you do it right, is it supposed to hurt your throat a bit or not?

silver
10-08-2003, 02:35 PM
not really dude, i mean obviously its going to be irritated a little after doing it for 20 or 30 minutes straight. But unless your in a band where you scream all the time (since im not) its never been my problem. I scream in only about 15%-20% of a song. So i never have to scream more than 20 seconds at a time. A voice teacher is deffinately good.

TheUnavoidable
10-09-2003, 11:15 AM
TheUnavoidable: Listened to the song, it seems to me its the same sort of technique used in the fear factory stuff. This isn't my forte` but as i posted earlier you can't really use your falcetto here... the voice also sounds like its tweaked a bit in the studio. Anyways in an earlier post I said to use your diaphram, but I also recently discovered if you use the "whisper voice" in correlation with your diaphram you can get a NICE tone going. Look on page 2 and read the bit i wrote to that guy about the fear factory scream. All the other technique should be the same... im not sure what else to say :)

Thanks. I too suspect there is some studio altering going on, and i have heard the song live and he doesn't have the same "low end."

aenema
10-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Hmmm ...
Can Anyone here scream like Matt Bellamy of Muse or Mike PAtton ?
If so ... How.

oblin
10-15-2003, 07:30 AM
hey dude, is the screaming at the gates - captor of sin(slayer cover) done b the same technique as the one you told me earlier?

silver
10-15-2003, 09:41 AM
lol, do i have to listen to every single band? When i get home I'll listen to it oblin. Most likely it is. My band just did a show, and we did a live recording, soon I will post my scream for you guys :) it sounded pretty sick!

Screamin_Demon_Auz
10-19-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey,
I would like to be able to do a Steven Tyler from Aerosmith type scream. Im going to be doing "Dream On" soon, and need to be able to hit the scream at the very end of the song. I actually take lessons from Tyler's coach, but I would like your take on how to produce it. I don't really understand your instructions either. I've got the posture and everything down, but what kind of things do I need to do in my throat or to my larynx or whatever to actually produce the scream?

silver
10-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Steven tyler eh? That shouldn't be to hard to do, I don't know how to make it any clearer than what I said, its just about pushing (psychotically hard) your whipser/falsetto voice, and knowing how to use a microphone effectively. What is it you don't understand? There shouldn't be any REAL strain on your voice doing it, I mean your throat will hurt a little, after doing an hour or so set, but nothing serious.

Screamin_Demon_Auz
10-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks. I just didn't read it right, sorry about that. Thanks a lot again

SchismBassist
10-20-2003, 08:35 PM
When I scream, afterwards my voice kills me. My voice sounds a little sketchy and my throat hurts a little. And it also prevents me from singing in high notes. I scream from my gut and my throat. Maybe i am doing it wrong? I've been drinking honey and lemon juice to help my throat. Any suggetions?

SchismBassist
10-21-2003, 09:26 AM
bump

silver
10-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Although honey and lemon is good for your throat when you are sick, before you sing it is a REALLY bad idea. As I have posted early any fruit that is acidic is bad for you before you sing... lemon is probably the most :)

I find ANYTIME you sing from your gut and your throat you are putting your vocal chords at risk... and from my point of view it is always a bad idea, I have never heard or seen a method of this kind of screaming style that will not result in severe strain.

I have posted numerous times how to do it the only way i know how which is using your falsetto/whisper voice, so it feels like your singing right at the TOP of your mouth... as apposed to in your throat and gut. Eventually with a lot of practise you can get a decent low metal scream (though never as good as a gut scream, but its pretty damm close), or a high pitched one... and you won't end up killing your voice.

rayce
10-21-2003, 05:34 PM
[i]Note: Kurt Cobain "screaming" isn't screaming, its aggresive pitched singing and isn't something you can reallyteach, If you can't hit those notes you can't hit them. Its like asking someone to teach you to have a higher voice. Its true with a lot of practise you can increase your vocal range, but in most cases you are pretty much stuck with what you got. If you have a crummy deep voice like scott stapp of creed lol don't expect to be doing and cobain screams any time soon. [/B]

thats just lots of smoking aswell........ it screws up your vocal chords and you sound really raspy when you sing at a loud volume. not shouting, but singing loud.

rayce
10-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Griffin_Page

easy. its just a combo of yelling and screaming. just yell and make your voice go a tiny bit deeper. then match the pitch

rayce
10-21-2003, 05:41 PM
[i]3) avoid drinking milk: I know the guy in the other forum said to drink milk before you do a scream... I can see why this would be important if you are doing an improper technique that hurts your vocal chords... however assuming you are following my instructions milk will just build up a HUGE amount of mucus in your mouth. After about 30 minutes of your set you might start coughing it up between songs like an idiot or worse during a song.[/B]

i drink milk. i dont f*ck up my voice, and i also use proper technique. i talk fine, sing fine, scream fine, etc.

rayce
10-21-2003, 05:54 PM
In Just a moment i'll tell you about the deep death metal screaming, but first:

electron - the baginning of the silent scream is just a high pithced cannibal corpse type thing.

chewbacca - all he bends over for is to keep a longer scream, and all it does is push more aair out of your stomache.

doll - all manson does is the kurt cobain thing. read my other reply above to see.

CANNIBAL CORPSE SCREAMING!!!::::

ok. first off, try talking like darth vader. so your addam's apple goes IN. then make your voice go raspy.and push LOTS of air out. if you want to go lower, turn your tounge sideways. pronunciation will be hard, but it works. also, to go LOWER than that, put your tounge on the roof of your mouth as of your going "LLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"

it will sound normal. trust me.

DYING FETUS SCREAM:

haha. hard to explain, so try and stay level with me. all you do is scream inwards (breahte inwards and close your throat) then do the cannibal corpse thing inwards. like siad. hard to explain, but owrht it when you figure it out.

thats about the best i can explain it. now if you'll excuse me, i have to go belt out with some cannibal corpse. c ya.

silver
10-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rayce
i drink milk. i dont f*ck up my voice, and i also use proper technique. i talk fine, sing fine, scream fine, etc.

I didn't say "don't drink milk ever" it was in the context as "right before a show I wouldn't drink milk".

Mainly because milk causes large mucus buildup in your mouth and if you are screaming you could end up spiting a lot and yeah... and feeling like you have to clear your throat all the time.

If you don't have this problem cheers, thats good for you! I just found with a lot of singers, and teachers I have had, have had this problem and was just passing some advice.

silver
10-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by rayce

DYING FETUS SCREAM:

haha. hard to explain, so try and stay level with me. all you do is scream inwards (breahte inwards and close your throat) then do the cannibal corpse thing inwards. like siad. hard to explain, but owrht it when you figure it out.

Be careful, inward screaming is... :rolleyes: well its hard to do well without really hurting your throat, I have tried it and always end up really hurting or irratating my throat badly and not able to sing for a few days. I'd stay away from it unless you absolutely must do this style...

rayce
10-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Screamin_Demon_Auz
Im having a horrible time trying to produce this **** scream. Im only 13, i'll be 14 in 2 months, and have been taking lessons for just under 6 months. Are there any good exercises at getting a scream sound, or even adding rasp to falsetto or anything other than just screaming at the top of your lungs. I end up getting this quick tickle kind of feeling then I choke when I just scream.

dude, i'm 14. its harsh stuff, ya. and it does tickle for a little bit there. it takes a while, but you'll eventually develope the way around it.......... took me a solid 4 hours and passing out twice to get it lol. and s for the whole milk thing, sorry, ugess i shoulda read it twice. as for rasp in a falsetto, if you mean AC(lightning bolt)DC kinda stuff, best to do that, is smoke. but if ya smoke, you wont be able to sing ALL that well, you still could, but if you get lucky, you end up like kurt cobain. and inward screaming and being able to sing after, i find kinda odd the way i do it. i dont screw myself up doing it (by the way Chino from the deftones paralyzed a vocal chord inward screaming lol) just open your throat as much as you can. another hard to explain.i'd post a sound clip but you cant post sound clips on here.

Screamin_Demon_Auz
10-22-2003, 07:24 PM
well the scream im going after is something like steven tyler or maybe even sebastian bach. i don't smoke, and never will. i do like ac/dc, but thats the last kind of voice i want lol!

Bleached515
10-22-2003, 08:13 PM
I heard someone say Chino screams inward,how do you do that?(BTW I thought he dropped a lung...)I can scream like Chad Gray(Mudvayne),but I can't figure out screaming inward....any help?:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

silver
10-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Bleached515
I heard someone say Chino screams inward,how do you do that?(BTW I thought he dropped a lung...)I can scream like Chad Gray(Mudvayne),but I can't figure out screaming inward....any help?:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Chino does not scream inward, that is bullsh*t, i can produce a pretty good chino scream and its not with inward screaming. I know he inhales the way you do during an inward scream, which means he does not use his diaphram, but that doesn't really affect the way he sounds too much. The method I have posted earlier can be used to reproduce this sound.

As for the steven tyler post, :| read above plz.

and you don't have to smoke to develope that kind of voice, anybody who says that is an idiot. Its about developing a style, if you want to sound raspy you can learn to do that after you learn how to sing. for vocal singing exercises i have another thread called singing... some pointers.

Bleached515
10-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks,I didn't really know what the **** inward screaming was anyway.Wait doesn't Serj do soemthing like that? Or so I've been told.And was I right earlier about Chino,didn't he drop a lung before they recorded White Pony?I never heard of him paralyzing a vocal chord..

silver
10-23-2003, 06:17 AM
I know how to inward scream, but its retarded and the sound you get resembles a dying chicken screaming in pain...

plus it f*cks up your vocal chords, so I am not going to post the technique in doing it. I wouldn't be suprised if Chino did do that, :| he always seems to go the extra mile screaming wise.

JustinIverson
10-23-2003, 06:30 AM
I wanna sing like Bert McCracken becuase he has a awsome voice..he can go from hardcore screaming to a nice singing voice its so kool...Does ne1 else lov The USed??

rayce
10-23-2003, 10:37 AM

mudvayne screaming rules dude.......... but theres just one thing. me and my backing vocalist have been trying to do this for quite some time now, and still cant. i mena, the screaming itself is easy, but how do you hit the high notes like on dig "every thing that i AAAAAAAM!". some help would greatly be apreciated

silver
10-23-2003, 10:39 AM
*shoots self in head*

Bleached515
10-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Hey Rayce,I really don't know what to tell about the scream...It just kinda happens,like its my natural scream pushed to its limits.I don't know dude....I like doing Nothing to Gein and -1,they are just awesome to sing to.(that had nothing to do with anything,I just like those songs :D )

radio_flyer
10-25-2003, 05:48 PM
my scream sounds a bit like the from autumn to ashes scream, however i want it to sound like joe's from a static lullaby. do you have any tips for me?

radio_flyer
10-25-2003, 08:25 PM
also, when you feel the soreness after, is it supposed to be like how when you feel when you were yelling alot?

screaming_symphony
10-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Rayce: Ok, first off never scream like Mudvayne. He permanantly blew his voice from doing it. Thats why they used to be a trio and now theyre a quartet. Its a new vocalist. Im sure once in a great while people can do it and be fine, but thats a rare 2%. The lead singer of Disturbed also had to stop screaming from his gut cuz it was pushing stomach acid into his esophogus and eating away at it. So ya, if you dont care about your body and voice, go for it. I personally value my voice too much.

Radio_flyer: Whatever scream you have is pretty much what youre stuck with. Ive been working on mine for like a month solid now with my vocal instructer and although i can kinda change the way it sounds, for the most part im stuck sounding like Geoff from thursay and Bert from The Used. I myself wanted a Nate Barcelow scream. So im slowly accepting the fact that ive got what i got, you should too. But keep practicing and you can at least kind of get it to sound like what you want and hey, maybe youll prove me wrong. Cuz hell, ive only been doing it a little over a month, lol. Oh and it shouldnt hurt if you do it right. Mine only hurt the 1st time cuz it wasnt used to using my falsetta that much. But not a stinging soreness, more of a worked out muscle kind of sore. If its the stinging kind, then youre tearing up your voice and youre doing it wrong. Laters

Oh and my friend can inward scream like a madman but ya, it does ruin your singing voice for a good day and its hard to form words with it. Just work at the falsetta scream. Its like anything else, youre not gonna get it right away. Its gonna take ALOT of practice. Just like singing. SO GET TO IT!!!

rayce
10-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Hey Rayce,I really don't know what to tell about the scream...It just kinda happens,like its my natural scream pushed to its limits.I don't know dude....I like doing Nothing to Gein and -1,they are just awesome to sing to.(that had nothing to do with anything,I just like those songs :D )

dude, mudvayne is tough sh*t. i heard the guy used to gargle a combo of water and gravel (ya right) to get his voice that way. the the whole trio/quartet thing, then that must mean that the guitarist (Gurg, or Gg, depending on which era you go by) must have done the screaming. honest to go truth, they must not have been a trio, on acounta the fact that my friend jesse got ahold of the VERY first mudvayne CD, right before they hit it big (thats right, its a demo CD) and kud (or Chd......... whatever) did the vocals on that too. besides, i can scream like normal mudvayne stuff, but when it comes to the higher stuff (like internal primates forever where he scream the last part of addictions..... making it "adicTIONS!") is all i'm having trouble with. os for the david draiman comment above, yes he did have to stop. but i can get an equal sounding scream just by yelling, (pantera did this) so i dont see why david just did this :confused:

Jomey Banurm
10-26-2003, 12:27 PM
I wanna scream like Ian MacKaye...

Doll
10-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Ok, whenever I started screaming I couldn't do it for more than ten minutes because my throat would start hurting. It only took me a couple of days to be able to do it without my throat hurting but now whenever I do it, after about twenty minutes I get this funny feeling in the back of my throat whenever I do the higher notes. It doesn't hurt but it feels like I've swallowed something but it hasn't gone all the way down. It just kind of rests there in the back of my throat. Is this normal?

rayce
10-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Doll
Ok, whenever I started screaming I couldn't do it for more than ten minutes because my throat would start hurting. It only took me a couple of days to be able to do it without my throat hurting but now whenever I do it, after about twenty minutes I get this funny feeling in the back of my throat whenever I do the higher notes. It doesn't hurt but it feels like I've swallowed something but it hasn't gone all the way down. It just kind of rests there in the back of my throat. Is this normal?

ok, i'm not sure, because i was self taught, but i'd say improper form. how do you scream?

Doll
10-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Ok, I guess it's not really screaming but aggressive singing. I'm doing it the way you guys instructed. At least that's what it seems like.

silver
10-28-2003, 12:26 PM
I've noticed when i was teaching some begginer singing classes that people have the tendancy to lean there neck back when they sing the higher notes, watch yourself and practise with a mirror... you may THINK you're using proper technique but there are probably times when you get lazy and forget.

If you are still have strain 1 of 2 things are happening:

1) you are singing outside of your normal range, you MAY be able to work and get that note but not by straining yourself trying to reach that note... instead I recomend singing the highest note you can sing without having to strain yourself and practise that, eventually this could help you develope your higher range.

2) you are not doing the technique properly, in this case if you can't do it yourself save up some money and take some lessons... remember every teacher has different methods, ask your teacher to sing for you, if she/he can't produce i wouldn't waste money on it.

sherman
10-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Doing my best attempt to emulate your technique I sound like a retarded duck apparently. Do you think it is because I am doing it improperly, that I suffer some strange form of retardation, or that maybe I just haven't practiced enough.

silver
10-31-2003, 12:37 PM
most of the time it is confidence... its like skateboarding, if you doubt you're gonna make the jump, you're not going to make it. how do you gain confidence? practise, thats all man!

Moroii
10-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Ian Mackaye, yeah. The chorus to "Filler" is pretty intense, he always sounds so sincere. ("It's in your head! It's in your head!") But as far as the sound goes, I wanna mix a lot different influences together with my own special ingredient to have my own unique voice. Just place them in right context of whatever song I'm writing, and try to keep up the emotional sincerity throughout. The Blood Brothers have cool screams, can anyone emulate their style? Anyways, I was wondering if I quit smoking now will my voice get better, or just not get worse? If it's not gonna make my screaming much better I don't care, I've been smoking for like 5 or 6 years.

rayce
11-04-2003, 07:22 AM
dude, i'm trying to do the poison the well screaming now........ any pointers? not the old stuff like "lost in silence" but the screams on "slice paper wrists" or "nerdy"

silver
11-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Moroii
Ian Mackaye, yeah. The chorus to "Filler" is pretty intense, he always sounds so sincere. ("It's in your head! It's in your head!") But as far as the sound goes, I wanna mix a lot different influences together with my own special ingredient to have my own unique voice. Just place them in right context of whatever song I'm writing, and try to keep up the emotional sincerity throughout. The Blood Brothers have cool screams, can anyone emulate their style? Anyways, I was wondering if I quit smoking now will my voice get better, or just not get worse? If it's not gonna make my screaming much better I don't care, I've been smoking for like 5 or 6 years.

Smoking takes away your vocal range, and also weakens your lungs. So yes, you will find it much easier to breathe and sing and will find your longivity for singing is much longer if you quit smoking. In the long run smoking will kill your higher vocal range, and will decrease the strength of your voice.

-sandman-
11-06-2003, 09:50 PM
wow, first off all.... thanks for the tips Thee Unsound.

Before... i would think to myself it was in the gut.. and when after a couple songs or so i'd really feel it ;\

I have this song that I can't describe and I realyl want to learn to scream like this guy. If you'd check it out and give some pointers I'd greatly appreciate it. The song is Zao - Parade of Chaos

Ok you say.. open your mouth or else no one can hear, then get a mic cuz u dont wanna push it out to be loud. Umm.. about how far wold u say id be to hear it without a mic.

Also: "Practise your breathing every night put a book on your chest and lift it up with your stomach as you breathe in" is what you said.. But.. I read on that your not using your stomach more of your throat. Wouldnt that exercise just exercise ur stomach sort of push so u could scream better from it.

Anternicy1
11-07-2003, 04:21 AM
Okay first of all let me say most people probably won't like doing inward screams because they can be painful, I can do it and it resembles the sound of Dani Filth from Cradle of Filth. But for the most part I yell/scream sing and I remember when I started out I wouldn't be able to do it for long and I would lose my voice for a couple of days at a time. Yes of course my methods were bad, but here is something this thread is all wrong about.....
NO MATTER WHAT METHODS YOU USE SCREAMING IS HURTING YOUR VOCAL CHORDS!!! WHETHER IT HAPPENS SOON OR A YEARS AWAY, IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU! This has come from many proffesionals, and I know it is true. You can take all the precautions you want, it is inevitable. Although I don't care, but I just figured others would like to know, and be careful because if you do something wrong while screaming you could be making a trip to the hospital to have surgery on your vocal chords.

silver
11-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by -sandman-
Ok you say.. open your mouth or else no one can hear, then get a mic cuz u dont wanna push it out to be loud. Umm.. about how far wold u say id be to hear it without a mic.

Also: "Practise your breathing every night put a book on your chest and lift it up with your stomach as you breathe in" is what you said.. But.. I read on that your not using your stomach more of your throat. Wouldnt that exercise just exercise ur stomach sort of push so u could scream better from it.

As you get more comfortable and better at it you'll find out how far or close you want the mic to your face... its really personal preference. The closer you hold it to your mouth the more distorted and bassy it will be... the further the more trebly and more clear.

No matter if you are singing or screaming from your diaphram or your throat, you need breath. The less breath you need the less you will strain your voice... the breathing exercises will help.

And yes Anternicy1 is right, no matter how good your technique is, screaming will damage your throat and vocal chords... I am just putting this up so at least if people DO choose to scream (cause they will whether or not I say its bad) they do it right, to prevent serious damage. If you want longivity I would reccomend never going nuts with it, one you get the technique down... you don't have to practise hours on end everyday you're throat isn't going to get stronger and used to it. Practise for 5 minutes and then stop... and maybe start again 3 hours later, save it for a show.

screaming_symphony
11-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Well, **** thats kinda depressing. So Thee what do your vocal teachers say about your screaming? And what do you think the lon term effects will be? I do plan to be a vocalist for a long time so i really dont want my voice to be gone in like 10 years. Will it just give me a nodule or cist or something? O, and how can Corey Taylor from slipknot scream like he does but then sing very clean in Stonesour? Next week i begin trying out different vocal instructors so ill ask them too, but i just want to know. Someone plz tell me cuz my voice is VERY important to me and its not like my guitar where i can just go out and get another one. If i ruin this one, im ****ed. I have noticed this method is less harsh then many others and sounds quite good and i would like to keep doing it, but day in and day out of gigging i think will tear me up if this is even the SLIGHTEST bit abrasive. I have heard singers say that it will get harder and HEAL over, but then ive also heard it wont. Maybe its all varied on the person. JESUS!!!!! SOMEONE TELL ME!!!!!!

silver
11-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Chill dude, I have been using this technique about 2 or 3 years I'm 20 right now, and my voice isn't dammaged or scratchy (unless i want it to be)... its a pretty good way of screaming, all I was saying is be carefull, if you don't know what you are doing and you think you MAY be doing it wrong you probably are, I mean unless I am doing it for more than 15 minutes straight I don't get any strain. My old teacher ( I don't take lessons anymore) was 29 and he had been doing it since he was 18 and his voice was still REALLY good... its all about moderation... different people are different as well some people will experiance more or less strain from screaming. Don't get discouraged, think about it like this... When you walk you are wearing away the rubbery parts in between your joints... does that mean you suddenly stop walking? For the most part if you use this technique and remember to scream in moderation I don't see why you can't be screaming until your 50 or something or who knows... look at the guy from aerosmith.

rayce
11-09-2003, 01:02 AM
that what happened ti cannibal corpse. its such raw screaming they've gone through 2 or 3 vocalists......... something like that.

chris4aker
01-16-2004, 08:52 PM
ok i need a nice step by step instruction to sing like dustin from thrice or bert from the used...only bert sounds like hes shredding his voice chords. i dont want as raspy and all as bert, but the high pitched scream. mainly i need to know cuz i sing/play on my own. otherwise dustin from thrice is the type of scream i want. could i get step by step please?

fugazi_punk
01-19-2004, 07:41 PM
i went to this church thing and at this talent show, this band called like the smiley guys or something did the song Until The Day I Die-Story of the Year.....they were offbeat everyonce in a while, and i was like they're ok, but they gained some respect from me when the lead singer did the screaming part...he made it look so easy and he sounded a hell a lot like the guy

sliver
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
ok i need a nice step by step instruction to sing like dustin from thrice or bert from the used...only bert sounds like hes shredding his voice chords. i dont want as raspy and all as bert, but the high pitched scream. mainly i need to know cuz i sing/play on my own. otherwise dustin from thrice is the type of scream i want. could i get step by step please?

nobody can teach you style dude, thats like asking me "teach me to sing like louie armstrong!" If you follow the guide you can figure out how to scream, but style is something you just have to figure out on yourself... if you figure out how to scream effectively you should be able to emulate styles simular to the guy in the used.

StepsAscending_
01-20-2004, 02:55 PM
ive been working on screaming lately
i like your method...but ive heard that singing from your throut is harmful and that you should sing from your gut
but i find your method better and less painful
right now i can manage around a fear before the march of flames scream
which is pretty mid tone, now very low, not really high
when i get it right there is little pain

ya people you shouldnt feel a scratching in your thought when you scream, it should just come out clean'

btw thanks a ton for the tips, you helped me so much!

chris4aker
01-20-2004, 06:23 PM
true i understand your point silver, it wouldnt be me if i was trying to copy someone else. i should have my own style..but i still dunno how to scream even from the instructions...i can get like a scream in a whisper but when i push more air out it gets all weird sounding. i can also get growls very well and none of this hurts, but other peoples screams seem louder than a whisper so what am i doing wrong?

Bleached515
01-20-2004, 10:21 PM
I was just wondering when Corey Taylor screams is it raspy? Like does anyone hear it as raspy? Cos' I do and my friend(guitarist in my band)says its not....and he wants me to not sound to raspy and its killing me trying to do that. He is the only person who has ever had a problem with it...I mean I can scream like Corey(everyone else but the guitarist seems to think so,oh yea and like Chad Gray :D )and I can go back into a smooth melody like Corey,isn't that enough! :confused:

sliver
01-21-2004, 10:10 AM
ive been working on screaming lately
i like your method...but ive heard that singing from your throut is harmful and that you should sing from your gut
but i find your method better and less painful
right now i can manage around a fear before the march of flames scream
which is pretty mid tone, now very low, not really high
when i get it right there is little pain

ya people you shouldnt feel a scratching in your thought when you scream, it should just come out clean'

btw thanks a ton for the tips, you helped me so much!

Very true... it is harmful to SING from your throat... however you are not singing here you are screaming = its apples and oranges. Screaming from your gut is INSANE you will destroy your vocal chords and probably throw up or cough up blood after every show. :lol: practise makes perfect with time you should be able to do any kinda scream you want.

sliver
01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
true i understand your point silver, it wouldnt be me if i was trying to copy someone else. i should have my own style..but i still dunno how to scream even from the instructions...i can get like a scream in a whisper but when i push more air out it gets all weird sounding. i can also get growls very well and none of this hurts, but other peoples screams seem louder than a whisper so what am i doing wrong?

Are you using a microphone? If not start using one, then you will be able to gauage how loud and how much you have to push your voice.

Secondly, screaming takes time, confidence and practise. Don't kill yourself, practise in moderation and eventually you will get better and louder. BE CONFIDENT.

However If you still can't "get it" I advise you to look around and get some voice lessons. My advice is to find a male instructor who actualy listens to the same kind of music you listen to... and make sure he can actualy scream. Ask him "can you teach me to scream?" AND "can you yourself scream?" if the dude won't scream for you then fuk it; he doesn't know what he is talking about. Sign up for about 5 lessons, pay attention, bring a tape recorder, right things down... just so you can get the basic technique and practise on your own. Unless your a rich bastard singing lessons are unaffordable.

Good luck :thumb:

sliver
01-21-2004, 10:20 AM
I was just wondering when Corey Taylor screams is it raspy? Like does anyone hear it as raspy? Cos' I do and my friend(guitarist in my band)says its not....and he wants me to not sound to raspy and its killing me trying to do that. He is the only person who has ever had a problem with it...I mean I can scream like Corey(everyone else but the guitarist seems to think so,oh yea and like Chad Gray :D )and I can go back into a smooth melody like Corey,isn't that enough! :confused:

It's difficult for me to say whether or not corey taylors voice is naturaly raspy and strained or if he does it stylistically. Since he is a proffesional and has been able to manage it for a few years I would guess he does it stylistically and uses technique. If you want to get less strain in your voice, go take some lessons or practise through the technique I posted. Once you get the technique down cold, you can determine yourself how much "rasp" you want to put into your voice and stream.

ps. you should choose your own singing style, IF you like the raspier voice better tell your guitar player to fack off... its not like you are telling him how to play guitar. However if you would yourself rather get a less raspy voice then go for it man, its possible with practise.

PS. Did anyone happen to save my original thread "singing some pointers"... if so could you post it in another thread. I tried searching for it but it got deleted when they upgraded the new site... it could be usefull for this guy :thumb:

chris4aker
01-21-2004, 02:04 PM
thank you silver, i practice atleast once aday while im in the shower and im sure i will get it sometime or other but if not, voice lessons might be cool. until then im going to be working on regular singing and guitar...it sucks being the best singer and guitarist outta your band cuz the other guy on guitar isnt good enough to play the good intricate riffs and nobody can sing ALL that well, its hard singing and playing. but anyways thank you, i will study the instructions from the thread carefully

i have never gotten to scream from my gut, i can scream from my throat and it doesnt hurt, its just soft and sounds like a cow is dieing or something. its terrible

*edit* i have tried using a microphone and it does make it louder but it doesnt sound like there is much emotion behind it because its so soft but turned up..its hard to explain but its like the sound of a whisper

osirisblind
01-24-2004, 02:28 PM
ok, my voice is deep and when i try to scream it is low and as i try to get it higher it just cracks to something really high.. is there a way i can get something in between there, because when i sing its the same way..

osirisblind
01-24-2004, 02:30 PM
oh yea and i was wondering if theres a certain way to be able to distort your scream or voice or whatever, without making it too loud.. like i have to scream really loud before it even gets slightly distorted, it just sounds like im talking loudly, haha eh i think i should read some more tips...

skatehippie
01-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey I thought I'd just throw in something I've noticed while listening to some bands...

I think that the beginning letter to what word youre screaming is important, as some sounds are "easier" to scream than others.

In the song "Maybe Memories" by The Used, when Bert is screaming the word "Back" he actually sounds like he's screaming "Rack". It's acceptable to do this I think because from the rest of the song we can tell that Back is actually the word as it fits with the song. So unless there's confusion as to what you're screaming has to do with the song, I think that it's okay to substitue letters to make it easier.

i myself am a beginner when it comes to rock vocals as my only experience was in choir where I was a tenor...but the sounds I can tell are relatively easy to scream are :
Rah
Wah
Yah
Ah

Generally, letters that don't require pressing your lips together. Does any of this help at all, or am I a total idiot? :D

NarMattaru
01-24-2004, 10:14 PM
that what happened ti cannibal corpse. its such raw screaming they've gone through 2 or 3 vocalists......... something like that. Theyve had two vocalists, and their old one was kicked out, and has been in another death metal band for the past 8 or so years (six feet under), and hes still doing good i suppose.

Thee, i was wondering if you can help me out with some death metal-ish vocals. Sort of like Steve Tucker of Morbid Angelm and mids and highs like the guy from In Flames or Dani Filth. Thanks

rm Bm~
01-28-2004, 12:32 PM
i just have 1 question... i recorded my scream today and it just sounds like raspy whispering. is there a way to give my scream more "body"?

sliver
01-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey I thought I'd just throw in something I've noticed while listening to some bands...

I think that the beginning letter to what word youre screaming is important, as some sounds are "easier" to scream than others.

In the song "Maybe Memories" by The Used, when Bert is screaming the word "Back" he actually sounds like he's screaming "Rack". It's acceptable to do this I think because from the rest of the song we can tell that Back is actually the word as it fits with the song. So unless there's confusion as to what you're screaming has to do with the song, I think that it's okay to substitue letters to make it easier.

i myself am a beginner when it comes to rock vocals as my only experience was in choir where I was a tenor...but the sounds I can tell are relatively easy to scream are :
Rah
Wah
Yah
Ah

Generally, letters that don't require pressing your lips together. Does any of this help at all, or am I a total idiot? :D

Hey yes, good point man... you are totally right dude some certain words or letters are easier to sing than others I should have remembered that :thumb:

Wah is probably the hardest of those 4, Kah is easy so is Nah.

MordantLiquor
02-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah...if your not too careful you could end up paralyzing your vocal chords or something...

sliver
02-08-2004, 04:13 PM
*bump*

in case anyone cares :thumb:

metaliq
02-08-2004, 08:53 PM
First post here, but yea.

Any tips on how to do vocals like Atreyu? Sounds like how I sound if I try to breath in and sing, but not positive.

Here is how I do my 'scream":
Its more of a growl, like how cavemen are portrayed in cartoon, then I just add a lil air behind it and it sounds like a nice deathmetal raspy growl. Doesnt hurt my throat, untill I come home from practicing for 4 hours, then its kinda sore. We have a recording studio in the guitarists' basement, so maybe after our next gig we will record a song or so and stick it on the website. Ill post here if we do...

crponx
02-08-2004, 11:04 PM
How do I do hardcore screams like Hopesfall?? I mean that guy screams so much I don't know how he hasn't totally ƒucked up his voice. Also, how would you describe the Alexisonfire screams?? Thanks :thumb:

JoeDaddio
02-09-2004, 02:03 AM
I want to learn how to do the Elvis Costello scream. The kind of loud, shrill, half fearfull half insano-man yell.

joe

...alexisonfire...
02-09-2004, 04:38 AM
avril lavigne is cool

...alexisonfire...
02-09-2004, 04:45 AM
jennifer they lied to you

sliver
02-09-2004, 11:11 PM
First post here, but yea.

Any tips on how to do vocals like Atreyu? Sounds like how I sound if I try to breath in and sing, but not positive.

Here is how I do my 'scream":
Its more of a growl, like how cavemen are portrayed in cartoon, then I just add a lil air behind it and it sounds like a nice deathmetal raspy growl. Doesnt hurt my throat, untill I come home from practicing for 4 hours, then its kinda sore. We have a recording studio in the guitarists' basement, so maybe after our next gig we will record a song or so and stick it on the website. Ill post here if we do...

STOP!!! Four hours at a time? Are you insane?! You are going to totally ruin your voice... Please at least coat your throat with honey before and during practise... It sounds like you have a good grasp on how to scream just practise... Just be reasonable, four hours at a time is rediculously excessive, are you just exagerating?

I mean the longest a set can last is an hour and a half... and that is a long set too.

sliver
02-09-2004, 11:15 PM
How do I do hardcore screams like Hopesfall?? I mean that guy screams so much I don't know how he hasn't totally ƒucked up his voice. Also, how would you describe the Alexisonfire screams?? Thanks :thumb:

Please everyone; in future instead of asking me "how do I do this type of scream?" Why not post your scream, I will then take time listen to it, critique it and tell you what you seem to be doing wrong and what to change so you can emulate the kind of scream sound you want to get.

Just get an account on www.soundclick.com and post the scream there.

Sorry to be a prick, but im 99% someone has asked me how to do the Ateryu scream before and I don't want to keep downloading and listening to the same songs to say the same thing over again.

Alexisonfire is the easiest scream to duplicate... he just screams 1 syllable words, I guess its an emocore type of scream; the same technique as the guy from finch or the used just a lot easier to copy. It sounds like every note is very very attacked and forced... but it sounds cool, I'm not sure what kind of technique he uses but I can pretty much emulate it with the technique described on the first page of the thread.

rm Bm~
02-10-2004, 01:14 PM
i just have 1 question... i recorded my scream today and it just sounds like raspy whispering. is there a way to give my scream more "body"?

considering no one answered, no one really cares but... i figured out it was just the mic i was usuing. i used a real mic and it was fine

italic zero
02-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I'd post my scream, but it isn't even a scream. I really can't do your technique at all.

metaliq
02-10-2004, 08:47 PM
STOP!!! Four hours at a time? Are you insane?! You are going to totally ruin your voice... Please at least coat your throat with honey before and during practise... It sounds like you have a good grasp on how to scream just practise... Just be reasonable, four hours at a time is rediculously excessive, are you just exagerating?

I mean the longest a set can last is an hour and a half... and that is a long set too.

Well, what I ment to say was after a 4 hour long practice with the band. Which includes the guitarist on vocals at points, me doing a lil not screaming, and then the ocassional break where they eat doritos and i drink more water.

Also on the Atreyu thing... I searched this thread and didnt see anything mentioned about them. This was the first thread I read on this forum, so if there was something mentioned about atreyu before this then I didnt see it. Sorry, my bad.

osirisblind
02-10-2004, 09:25 PM
how do I post my scream? how should I save it because the files are always too big?

sliver
02-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Well, what I ment to say was after a 4 hour long practice with the band. Which includes the guitarist on vocals at points, me doing a lil not screaming, and then the ocassional break where they eat doritos and i drink more water.

Also on the Atreyu thing... I searched this thread and didnt see anything mentioned about them. This was the first thread I read on this forum, so if there was something mentioned about atreyu before this then I didnt see it. Sorry, my bad.

really? I was sure somebody asked me about that... alright I'll give it a listen when I go home. :wave:

how do I post my scream? how should I save it because the files are always too big?

get a program like acid studio pro or something, you can download it off kazaa or mirc.

I'd post my scream, but it isn't even a scream. I really can't do your technique at all.

:upset: really? ... its not exactly easy to practise cause you kind of need a house to yourself otherwise people think your nuts :lol:

try doin it one day when nobody is home and you can really let go, otherwise you'll always be holdin back.

Duffman22
02-11-2004, 02:20 PM
I've been working with the method on the first page, and when I try I get this scream thats a little of a loud whisper in sound with some edge behind it. I haven't been practising into a mic, So I assume that with some volume it could be better. Could u advise anything that may help to get a full scream.?

Cheers,

Duffman

italic zero
02-11-2004, 06:46 PM
:upset: really? ... its not exactly easy to practise cause you kind of need a house to yourself otherwise people think your nuts :lol:

try doin it one day when nobody is home and you can really let go, otherwise you'll always be holdin back.

Yeah, I haven't tried it in awhile but... it either comes out a whisper with no scream at all or like one of the Ringwraiths, which isn't bad, but not really what I'm looking for. I'll try it again sometime I guess, I really want to be able to do Maynard/Chino screams like you said. I still have a ways to go with singing anyways... a lot on my plate.

StepsAscending_
02-12-2004, 05:37 PM
i think im starting to get it down
i wrote a part of a song with guitar and vocals and with screaming
i got the scream to come out good a few times
its not easy

but,
im worried im not doing it right, cause after i do it i start to get sort of a muscular pain in my throut, but i get the same from singing for a while, im guessing this is because im not used to using my vocal chords so much. is this kind of pain expected?

Freedumb
02-13-2004, 11:54 AM
well control your screams and keep it even and dont lose your breath between one
and try to sound raspy

metaliq
02-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Silver- any update/ideas on the Atreyu scream?

sliver
02-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Silver- any update/ideas on the Atreyu scream?

Sorry I've been away this week studying for midterms.

There are 2 things I never mentioned in my original post in this thread.

Before you scream do 2 things:

1. Tighten your stomach
2. Take a spoon or 2 of honey.

I think someone asked if it was normal to feel some pain... obviously when you scream you are going to experiance some discomfort as long as its not insanely panefull and you can talk afterwords your technique is fine. If you feel you loose your voice for more than a 5 minute period of time stop what you are doing and save up some money for some vocal classes.

Italic: a lot of screaming is about confidence, if you practise enough you can get it... if you are working on your singing you can post that as well, I have taken a few classes jazz, pop and rock and might be able to tell you what you're doin wrong.

The Atreyu Scream

So I listened to a few songs from this band, and honestly his scream changes from song to song... sometimes its great (the line) sometimes its not so good (bleeding hearts).

Regardless, technique is screaming is all the same... alway using your falsetto voice pushed hard. With this particular type of scream you're using your lower register, so you will be using more of your "whisper" voice than your falsetto voice. Practise making your whipser sound aggresive and keep pushing it harder and harder until you get a sound that you like, keep your stomach clenched (hard) at all times. Breathe in with your stomach and fill it with air and let it out while you scream. Practise just saying the words you are going to scream, while you are taking a break from the actual screaming.

Note: I'm not saying you should actualy "whisper", I'm just saying using the same technique your body uses when you whisper... try to scream with that (also its sort of the same technique as when you clear your throat). At first your probably going to experiance some strain and you'll probably be coughing a bit, take some honey and some tea before and after and you should be fine though. Keep in mind the techniques posted on the first page. Go for quality of sound over, actual loudness of scream since you can increase loudness with a mic. Take into account a lot of these screams are done up in a studio with effects like delay, chorus or phaser.

If you want to sound like a studio screamer, get a good mic, a decent PA and hell while you're at it, buy some cool guitar effects pedals. :lol: Honestly they sound really cool through a mic and a PA. I play guitar and I plug my dd-6 boss digital delay (or my chorus pedal) into my mic it sounds really good, plus when you are doing shows you don't have to rely on some drunk idiot sound guy to give you reverb or delay, you have total control of the way you want your voice to sound.

The best way for me to help you is for you to post your scream and I'll try to figure out whats what.

sliver

FallenXodus
02-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Ive been using my falsetto voice for a while just singing songs i know, to and from work sorta thing, but i'll try your techniques they sound promising,

thanks dudes

gabey667
02-16-2004, 06:00 PM
I saw something on the death metal scream, but :smash: here's my explanation of it. Try an "annoyance grunt" (that sound you make whan someone does something to/around you and you want to kill them, but can't!), then make your voice deep and PUSH! (for a while) You need an insanely large amount of air to get any sort of real volume to it, but I've found that once you have the death growl down, it's very hard to do damage to your throat, and it's great diaphram excercise. You might hurt yourself a couple times trying to get it right (and it hurts right away if you're doing it wrong).

Phil Anselmo screams (nowadays anyway, he used to have a really good singing voice too) are pretty much the same thing, but you stay in/above your mid-range. The shrieks are pretty much as explained on the first page, but Phil smokes a lot of dope, so his voice is pretty raspy.

I've heard that Dani Filth 'inward screams', but I can do a pretty good approximation of his voice (no pepsi challenge) with the standard outward shrieking. Is there something wrong with me?

I also read on here earlier that 'you can't extend your vocal range'. Total crap! In the past 3 years I've extended my normal range almost 1 1/2 octaves, just by practicing the highest and lowest notes I can hit until they become comfortable, then moving up / down. Also, my falsetto (screams especially) and death growl basso have extended a lot too (Dani Filth was totally out of the question a year ago).

I guess I shouldn't brag so much... especially since I've got a) no way to prove any of this - i.e. my mic cable's broken, and b) a really bad head cold that makes me crack and SHOOT PHLEGM when I go anywhere above 3 octaves from my lowest note.

Peace out... (but who's buying this bs)
:chug: :wave: :smoke:

chris4aker
02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
alot of these pointers have helped me and see i figured im on the right track but i stopped practicing since i was sick. i use my falsetto voice kinda whisper and then try to push extra out and it sounds ****ty but i think with practice i'll get there...i once heard someone in my school who was having a really ****ty day and then blew up at someone and was so pissed they were screaming at the top of their lungs, and it sounded like bert from the used it was cool..im rambling but uh..*bump*?

metaliq
02-17-2004, 09:27 PM
I use the same technique as gabey said, and it doesnt hurt my throat at all.

But recently (today, lol) I tried to get the kinda 'scream' (more sorta a shout? not sure) from hatebreed and its pretty simple to nail. Instead of growling, I use the same technique as the growl btw, I kinda yell? Yea, bad description, but you can pull off the raspiness he has in some words pretty easily without hurting your voice. I dunno what the point of this post was...

Edit: Yea, I dont know why im talking about Hatebreed - im not too much a fan of hardcore, but thought ide comment if anyone was interested, but I guess I wasnt very descriptive... **** I need some more sleep...

sliver
02-19-2004, 10:24 PM
I've heard that Dani Filth 'inward screams', but I can do a pretty good approximation of his voice (no pepsi challenge) with the standard outward shrieking. Is there something wrong with me?

I also read on here earlier that 'you can't extend your vocal range'. Total crap! In the past 3 years I've extended my normal range almost 1 1/2 octaves, just by practicing the highest and lowest notes I can hit until they become comfortable, then moving up / down. Also, my falsetto (screams especially) and death growl basso have extended a lot too (Dani Filth was totally out of the question a year ago).

- inward screaming ruins your voice and makes you cough like a mofo. I've never heard any kind of scream that can't be done with just the normal outward screaming (with a little practise).

- of course when you start out singing you can improve your vocal range, I was never trying to say that... however MOST people don't improve their range by more than 1/2 an octave even with lessons... and after that you are stuck. Its not like your voice is going to keep getting higher and higher all the time :p

and don't worry I believe ya dude, just post a clip whenever.

ps. to anyone who reads this thread and finds it usefull, could you please give it a good rating. Maybe it can get stickied so new members can read it, thanks.

italic zero
02-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah, great thread silver. :chug:

Just have to get my parents out of the house again...

As far as singing, I know what I have to do, thanks for the offer, but I'm taking lessons and it's just the sheer number of songs I have to learn right now, plus working on my technique. Singing Mozart's Reqiuem tenor when you're a baritone who just learned it, and isn't even a great singer = :(

Also, as far as expanding range, if you did gain that much range, which I don't doubt is possible, but many people don't have a large range just because they have never really warmed up.

chris4aker
02-21-2004, 03:22 PM
i know its wrong to use your voice to scream with but i cant get ANY volume unless i use some voice... otherwise its like a dieing cow. i can get a shout thats somewhat like dustin from thrice in a couple songs but i cant get a falsetto scream worth anything. been practice 2 months and nowhere near a falsetto scream like bert mckracken

sliver
02-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Yeah, great thread silver. :chug:

Just have to get my parents out of the house again...

As far as singing, I know what I have to do, thanks for the offer, but I'm taking lessons and it's just the sheer number of songs I have to learn right now, plus working on my technique. Singing Mozart's Reqiuem tenor when you're a baritone who just learned it, and isn't even a great singer = :(

Also, as far as expanding range, if you did gain that much range, which I don't doubt is possible, but many people don't have a large range just because they have never really warmed up.

Classical is cool, I wanted to take classical vocal at my university but they wouldn't let me in the class because I didn't have enough classical influence in my voice... so I ended up in jazz instead (which is still cool anyway). But before that I took lessons with this guy who specialized in rock and screaming. I am also a baritone... but sometimes I can sing certain tenor notes... I can hit a high B or C if I am doing it for just a syllable, I can sing A for a short period of time, but mostly I stick with G and G# as the upper end of my range.

Vitriolic Rage
02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
i know its wrong to use your voice to scream with but i cant get ANY volume unless i use some voice... otherwise its like a dieing cow. i can get a shout thats somewhat like dustin from thrice in a couple songs but i cant get a falsetto scream worth anything. been practice 2 months and nowhere near a falsetto scream like bert mckracken
Screaming isn't wrong.
I do many screams, I do a sort of Dani Filth singing, which is done by tightenening the throat, I can also do a high pitched banshee sorta thing, which is done by tightening the throat, and taking air in. Then there's the deep growly vocals, or cookie monster vocals as some people call them.
Justin Hawkins vocals/screams are hard to do, but then again I'm not really bothered seen as it's mostly black/death metal vocals I do. You could try wearing tight pants to get a high voice. :lol: :smash:

EcolliJK
02-23-2004, 09:36 AM
so how do you do the mudvayne scream?
i allways seem to scr3w it up :smash:
sorry if this was asked before

Blackmane
02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
hi guys, girls and all in between.... my band is playin a gig in a few days. could anyone give me help on screaming 7WORDS by Deftones??? i really need help with it, any feed back would be really appreaciated!!!!
CHEERS

metaliq
02-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Ok, we recorded a song finally. Not the best because we had to get it all done in 2 hours, and I fvcked up twice (first chorus I said wrong part and said F*CK, then later in the second chorus my timeing was bad, but oh well). right click and save...

http://www.uiproductions.com/ty/ft/Faded Thru - 42 or 7.mp3

Also, the quality might sound like SH!T or might sound fine, he recorded in stereo on accident so on headphones and some computer speakers it sounds good, but in the car it sounds bad. Oh well. I do the deep growl screamish, and the guitarist sings this song and does the other scream...

Evaluation? Scream wise (for both of us)? Song wise? Any input would be fine. Thanks.

metaliq
02-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Okie, got a *pretty decent recording, but the vocals lacked a lil :(, maybe we will redo em sometime. Silver, you readin this?

http://www.uiproductions.com/ty/FT-42or7.mp3 - We just kinda tried a couple different things in this one... like him screaming at some parts (his voice was off, he had a soar throat or something).

and something our guitarist put together to play with pro tools if your bored...
http://www.uiproductions.com/ty/FT-na.mp3

Dum de dum.

xDoomedx
02-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Met, Yes both vocalist are off. Music sounds great.

Raptorbassist569
02-28-2004, 02:39 PM
wow, that really worked well.....cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sliver
02-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Ok metalig:

it seems to me like your not screaming at all but doing shouting its sort of a different thing... shouting is like singing agressively, which is using your natural voice (or your diaphram voice) to scream. This kind of screaming can damage and hurt your singing voice, it is also difficult to keep this up for long periods of times. Read over the steps I've given on the first page but to summarize:

My technique as describe uses the falsetto / whisper voice, this is its quiet different. It will allow to achieve a much cooler (in my opinion) stronger sounding, and more emotional scream. Falsetto when undeveloped is the weak girly sounding voice you can do, it has a higher range than your normal voice so ultimately it has more versitility for screaming.

At first glance it doesn't seem like its possible to get a good scream with only your falsetto (your throat / head) voice, the trick is mixing this voice with your "whisper voice" and pushing that voice and getting some volume with it. It takes time and practise, and confidence... its not an easy technique to master... let me know if you have any questions.

Your friend is doing a sort of death metal scream, this scream can also be done with my technique, simply instead of singing high pitched notes just sing the lower notes with your falsetto.

metaliq
02-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Hey, sorry, but im doing the death metal scream :).

By the way, we have a newer better version for you to evaluate. Thanks for that one. In this one I mixed in a scream with my falsetto voice, then say a word, then do the death metal ones. This one also has a better version of Chris (the guitarist, and one you thought was me ;) ) screaming. Let me know what you think...

I will give our guitarist/vocalist a printout of your tips. Hm, a good idea might be summing ALL of your tips into just one HTML page so someone could print them off. I noticed you added some here and there. Just a thought.

Also in this one notice on the verses you can barely hear me whispering in the background... it sounds kinda cool :).

Ok, I am the one with death metal growl and the loud shouty thing. Yea. Any tips again? Thanks man.

http://www.uiproductions.com/ty/ft/Faded%20Thru%20-%2042%20or%207.mp3

(it is http://www.uiproductions.com/ty/ft/Faded Thru - 42 or 7.mp3 WITH the spaces, so if the top link doesnt work, just copy and past the whole thing there or something, I dunno- im used to HTML)

EDIT to add: My name on here is metaliq, with a Q. just so you know, i noticed it does look like a g. Peace.

italic zero
02-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah, silver. As a vocalist trying to understand how to do your technique... where is the sound "located"? Might help me.

sliver
03-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Oh yeah, silver. As a vocalist trying to understand how to do your technique... where is the sound "located"? Might help me.

Try this:

lift up your cheekbones almost to a rediculous extent, (so it looks like your making a stupid grin... sort of like the joker in batman) the higher they are up the more open your throat is to resonating sound. The sound should feel like its comming out of the top of your mouth. You should almost feel a sort of sensation at the top of your throat like your fleghm is being gargled... this will get your that nice raspy sound. If you're new to it you might hurt your throat so I sugguest a spoon of honey or something similiar... honey also will make your scream easier to come out.

italic zero
03-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Gah! Pushing my falsetto "up" makes the pitch go up a ridiculous amount, even with whisper it's way higher than what I want. Sounds like high screaming DM vocalists.

chris4aker
03-02-2004, 02:24 PM
see when i get a scream its either but using the loudest possible voice (which i hear can hurt you) but im starting to train my voice so it isnt hurting, or its practically a whisper and sounds kinda ****ty if i try to get it loud? what am i doing wrong?

metaliq
03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Silver - check out the new mp3? It has some of your style screaming on there, at least I think i did it decently. Just checking to make sure you know I reposted.

sliver
03-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Gah! Pushing my falsetto "up" makes the pitch go up a ridiculous amount, even with whisper it's way higher than what I want. Sounds like high screaming DM vocalists.

I also have this problem sometimes, however with practise you can learn to make the falsetto not so DM and high pitched :chug:

metaliq
03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
I know this is old in a way, but I dont think you covered one type of scream... at least I have no idea on how to reach it.

Check out some Haste The Day, more specifically Who we are (you can get some clear screams in that one).

I noticed how his voice is 'scratchy' right away, but sounds kind of like your technique. Any idea how he got this? If you covered this already, I must have missed it, so you could just point me to it... if not... yea...

Thanks.

chris4aker
03-15-2004, 07:18 PM
i've been testing a away of screaming. its kinda weird, but u ever try cracking your voice on purpose to sound like a funny 13 year old? get that pitch and push air out and get it kinda scratchy, it sounds sorta like a sccream

osirisblind
03-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Say Sliver, I saw what you said about raising your cheekbones high up and all for the scream, but is there a way to do a type of shout thing more then a scream? Like not as loud?

italic zero
03-17-2004, 08:36 PM
I don't think you can do a shout scream in falsetto. So you gotta ruin your voice :cool:

SchismBassist
03-17-2004, 11:37 PM
How can I scream like Vendetta Red?

Light_Fantastic
03-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey Guys:
I 've been reading all 9 pages of this thread, and I can tell ya...screaming in the context of singing in a song is very" in" right now......
I am 44 years old, but I have been singing professionally for 23 years now. Hard rock, 80's metal....I have studied & practiced for many years. The truth is, and it has been said a few times in this thread, that screaming, will destroy your vocal chords over the long run. How long do you intend to be "doing" a singing career is the first question I would ask myself.
The key here is to minimalize the damage, and of course that takes technique & many years of practice. I notice a lot of you guys are just starting our 14-17 years old. If your in this age range, remember, you voice & vocal chords are not fully developed yet, so your style & range & actual tone will change somewhat as you get into your early 20's.
Back in the late 70's & early 80's when I first started doing larger shows & arena's, I studied all the great singers of those days. Rob Halford...Excellent screamer, I am hoping he still has the same range & power when he goes out on tour this summer.
I have heard this from all my teachers..."Your voice is your instrument". as I have gotten older , this is so true. I am fortunate, I don't drink. smoke, or do drugs, so I can sing ,as long or as strong as any 20 yo rock singer.
I have studied at Chicago Music Conservatory for Advanced Vocals & Theory with William Rusch, and I studied for 2 years with Elisabeth Sabine, in Los Angeles a sweet english lady, who trained all the 80's hard rock & metal screamers...
I would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have on vocals.
Some of the stuff I don't agree with, that I have seen written in this thread, is that you NEVER sing from your throat...Without diaphramic control & support, you will blow your voice & vocal chords out in a matter of months. No one here has ever discussed Power Falsetto screams, which is a technic Lou Graham from Foreigner used for many years. Power falsetto is the use of your head voice, supported by your diaphram, to create an effect of singing in an amazingly high register. Also, speaking of effects, all of todays screamers, from Maynard, Manson, Mudvayne, ALL use vocal effects in the studio & live, which I will get into later.
Hey most important, keep your voice healthy....
Jay Link

SchismBassist
03-18-2004, 08:50 AM
I would like to know how to scream like Vendetta Red. The singer's scream is somewhat high and as for me I have a medium type scream if that makes any sense. I would also like to know some warm up exercises for singing and using your power falsetto. Thanks a lot Jay :)

Light_Fantastic
03-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Hey SchismBassist:
I was listening to some Vendetta Red Tracks....he has a really powerful higher end scream....
His technic is using a short staccatto burst....
In order to acquire that range you have to practice. Remember all these screams are basically done in power falsetto...that is using the head voice with some push...or diaphramic support.
The best way to increase your range in chest and head voices are to do the boring old scales,& the La La stuff C D E F G A B C ...start out softer.. Then try to go up another octave...use a regular speaking voice & then increase the volume a bit...
We also use a technics to feel the pallett (top of mouth) called singing Minnows...
the vocal pattern sung is a standard scale but saying it like" Min oooo (long O)
Min oooo which makes you feel the seperation on the M & then the long O...
Sounds kinda weird, but it works...Another old trick is to tighten a belt around your diaphram area, which is your upper stomach & a little lower than mid chest...use a belt..tight but not too tight..
This will make you accutely aware of your diaphragm moving & not using your throat to sing..
Also, relax your neck & shoulders , keep your jaws loose..and always try to visualize your notes, even when you sing along with another singer for practice. Always warm up this way before gigs or recording.
One last little hint on singing...
Here, I have covered some of the mechanics of singing, but the fact is singing is basically a way of communicating with shouting..but shouting notes on key....
If you remember back to when you were very young, & you wanted to go over to a friends house, & you stood outside & yelled at the top of your lungs HEY JOHNNY YOOO JOHNNY C"MONN OUTSIDE......
well, if you scream that real loud regardless of the key you use. That is the effect you are trying to create. Unihibited vocals. We get so caught up in the thinking process, do I suck? Can I hit that note? Will they like what I'm singing? Why am I doing this etc....
Go back to when you were free & unhindered & just yell & rock out & Have a great time with singing...You will find , that you have a voice inside, that you yourself, might just be holding back by all the head trips we singers create for ourselves...
Now, go on ROCK the house down...

Jay

SchismBassist
03-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Awesome. Thanks a lot Jay. *Puts on cd player* See ya!

osirisblind
03-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Hey Jay, could you please tell me how to do a shouting type of "scream"? Like Chris #2 of Anti-flag, more specifically in the songs Right to Choose or You can Kill the Protestor, You Can't Kill the Protest? I know its not really a scream it's more singing but its kinda crackly, you know..? Just please I need some tips, this is the whole reason I joined these forums is because I want to know how to do it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot

Light_Fantastic
03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey Osirisblind:
Chris # 2 has a very powerful tenor voice...he is basically shouting on key in his chest voice...he has a lot of support. On the two tracks I heard he has a bit of microphone distortion going on...he has a naturally gritty quality to his voice.
80's rock singer Bob Seeger had this gravely quality to his voice for years & ended up with many nodes & needed operations to have them removed..
When you try to get this effect vocally, make sure you keep your throat muscles relaxed & try to push from the diaphram...Again, this is a hard style of singing, so keep on practicing.... no more that 1/2 hour a day to build on this kind of vocal style..until you feel comfortable & not hoarse & pain in the throat after a few songs...

Jay

metaliq
03-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Jaylink: can you tell me how damaging my vocals I am doing are to my voice?

I am doing more so growl/death metal stuff right now, and it doesnt hurt my throat. Its already been explained in here how I did it, and the mp3 is at www.fadedthru.com if you want to listen to it. I would just like to know how bad that is for you, any idea?

So is the haste the day scream done up with studio effects? Check out 'who we are'. Thanks.

Light_Fantastic
03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
First of all for a younger band faded thru has some pretty good chops....
Vocally, you need to strengthen your regular singing voice, but you are on the right track...
the low end growls are cool, but using just a bit of overdrive or tube distortion would make them sound even better.
As long as your throat is not raw & painful after singing, I would say , you are at least singing with some diaphram support, but remember, you are still putting a lot of stress on your vocal chords...so take care of your voice..& you should be OK....
I just listened to Haste the Day track "Substance", and Yes, they use many effects...distortion, harmonizers, octave dividers, & digital processors ro get that effect...Sounds great, but you will destroy your vocal chords trying to produce that vocal sound with a "Dry" human voice...he must have "layered" over or multi tracked that vocal at least 3-4 times..all studio tricks...then they use a new digital Quantizer effect, which makes all the vocals sound "Huge"...it takes lot's of money ,a great studio & engineer & producer to get those sounds....

Your on the right track....
Keep rockin...
Jay

sliver
03-24-2004, 02:47 PM
bumped for _______?

chris4aker
03-24-2004, 07:05 PM
jay, you have helped me most. i knew that this whisper falsetto voice and pushing air out was not a scream, an as long as u dont do it for long periods of time and keep throat hydrated, go loud.

italic zero
03-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Okay, I'm going to really try it now. To start going for something, I figured I'd try a Maynard type scream, which you said could be easily done with the falsetto technique. So a run through of any specifics I should know for this type of scream would be nice.

Light_Fantastic
03-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey Itallic Zero...
Just start out slow, & bulid up..
If you push too hard & use too much throat, again, you will put a lot of stress on your vocal chords..
Maynard has a few vocal riffs that start out on a lower register & he builds to that higher scream..
So, I would work along with one of his recording to make sure your phrasing & intonation are right on...

Good Luck...
I am going to start an Online rock vocal clinic next month, that will be super cheap, with one on one instruction, phone calls & some mp's & video's...
I'll keep you guys posted on that....

Jay

Soundless.Vow
04-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey Jay...

Maybe you can help me out a little bit... I really want to learn how to scream in the style of "Young and Aspiring" - Underoath or The Used but I don't know where to start or what I should be doing. I have an decent singing voice, however I've never taken lessons. I know that no two screams sound alike, but I'd really like to learn how to scream using their technique... you can listen to "Young and Aspiring" here: http://www.purevolume.com/Underoath/music

Thanks,

Soundless.Vow

Light_Fantastic
04-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Hey Jay...

Maybe you can help me out a little bit... I really want to learn how to scream in the style of "Young and Aspiring" - Underoath or The Used but I don't know where to start or what I should be doing. I have an decent singing voice, however I've never taken lessons. I know that no two screams sound alike, but I'd really like to learn how to scream using their technique... you can listen to "Young and Aspiring" here: http://www.purevolume.com/Underoath/music

Thanks,

Soundless.Vow

Hey Soundless.Vow...
The singer of Underoath has a great voice. His normal voice is clear & strong, so I am thinking , he has some sort of harmonic distortion on his voice when he screams.... If NOT, man, I think he is in danger of damaging his voice early on. if he is doing that scream with his voice unnafected, and it is hard to tell by the recording..it sounds like he is putting out a lot more air & less voice.
On my second listen... I still hear some processing on his voice. I would love to hear these guys sing this song live... I will watch for more tracks from them..they are a great band BTW....
As far as this type of scream, I would approach it with your own style at first..
I can do this scream, but it IS hard & Take a lot of volume & pushing....
So, I would suggest if you are already singing, try to work with the tone...This scream is more a scream of angst & terror, more that it is a note...SO, the pitch is not as important as the effect....
Also, when you have a PA & mic available, to running a distortion effect thru the Mic & see if you can achieve this with out running your vocal chords thru a cheese grater.
Sorry, I wasn't much help on this one....
I will check out more of their material & will get back to you on this type of scream.

Jay

Jet Black Stare
04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
My singing voice is weird, I got 2. One sounds good but it's quiet...the other is the voice is use when im talking it sounds crappy complete with puberty squeaks lol. Can anyone explain this?

italic zero
04-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Is the first one higher? Falsetto is the only thing I could think of, but most guys don't think it sounds "good."

SchismBassist
04-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Hey Soundless.Vow...
The singer of Underoath has a great voice. His normal voice is clear & strong, so I am thinking , he has some sort of harmonic distortion on his voice when he screams.... If NOT, man, I think he is in danger of damaging his voice early on. if he is doing that scream with his voice unnafected, and it is hard to tell by the recording..it sounds like he is putting out a lot more air & less voice.
On my second listen... I still hear some processing on his voice. I would love to hear these guys sing this song live... I will watch for more tracks from them..they are a great band BTW....
As far as this type of scream, I would approach it with your own style at first..
I can do this scream, but it IS hard & Take a lot of volume & pushing....
So, I would suggest if you are already singing, try to work with the tone...This scream is more a scream of angst & terror, more that it is a note...SO, the pitch is not as important as the effect....
Also, when you have a PA & mic available, to running a distortion effect thru the Mic & see if you can achieve this with out running your vocal chords thru a cheese grater.
Sorry, I wasn't much help on this one....
I will check out more of their material & will get back to you on this type of scream.

Jay The "clear" singing is the drummer :) *wow, just listened to that song, he scream is SO much different then "When the sun sleeps" he sounds a lot like Bert in Y&A* All the screams come from...well the lead screamer ^^. Anywho, Jay I would like to you listen to 36 Crazyfists. Their singer has such an unique voice and scream. I want to know what to do to be able to sing/scream like him. Songs to check out our Slit Wrist Theory and Skin and Atmosphere. Thanks a lot!

sliver
04-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey Jay...

Thanks,

Soundless.Vow

if you read the thread the technique describe is exactly how these singers scream, it is the same scream i do in my band. the end.

Light_Fantastic
04-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Hey SchismBassist:
I will definitely check out 36 Crazyfists & get back to you shortly....
Take Care

Jay

SchismBassist
04-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks man ^_^

Soundless.Vow
04-08-2004, 03:19 PM
The "clear" singing is the drummer :) *wow, just listened to that song, he scream is SO much different then "When the sun sleeps" he sounds a lot like Bert in Y&A*...

Yeah, I knew about the "clear" singing drummer, however, they recently got a new screamer due to some problem with Dallas, so that is why both screams sound completely different. If you listen closely, there are two different singing parts in "Young and Aspiring" which makes me think that the lead "screamer" can sing as well. So disregard all previous Underoath songs for this example.

Oh and thanks for the tip Silver, I just wanted to get Jay's opinion on this one.

Thanks once again everyone,

Soundless.Vow

Lowend
04-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Is the singer from Dead Poetics voice really like that? because it sounds like it has been processed or something, the scream just sounds so perfect

SchismBassist
04-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Yeah, I knew about the "clear" singing drummer, however, they recently got a new screamer due to some problem with Dallas, so that is why both screams sound completely different. If you listen closely, there are two different singing parts in "Young and Aspiring" which makes me think that the lead "screamer" can sing as well. So disregard all previous Underoath songs for this example.

Oh and thanks for the tip Silver, I just wanted to get Jay's opinion on this one.

Thanks once again everyone,

Soundless.Vow Really? I did not know that. What exactly happened to Dallas?

Soundless.Vow
04-09-2004, 03:28 AM
Really? I did not know that. What exactly happened to Dallas?

Yeah... they didn't give much detail into the situation, and there has been much speculation, but I guess that it's better to leave well enough alone. I really like their new style, a lot of people have told me it's too much like "The Used" but to me it has its own style... somehow, but this isn't one of those "like it or leave it" threads so I'll shut up now.

eski
04-10-2004, 01:08 AM
So ive been screaming for a little while now, i looked over the tips and it seemed to follow what ive been trying on my own. The only thing is, when i actually scream it sounds off. It sounds perfect when i do it using my wispering voice (maybe just because i can practice that any time without others hearing)... So for me its all an issue of getting that wispering voice, well, loud and proper. I sort of keep my throat narrow when i scream wispering, but when i scream loud, i cant do this it doesnt sound the same, my voice just goes all wonky. Its all about using that roof of your mouth like was discussed, but when done loudly, theres more pressure on the roof of my mouth and so i get an annoying squeak basically like im screaming and singing high falsetto overtop.

What am i doing wrong while making my scream louder? any pointers? Basically the way i get it to sound best right now is to push all the air as hard as i can from my stomach and just belt it, using a bit of the upper part of my mouth. Its a good scream but it lacks that desired high toned kick to it that finch, the used and other have in their screams.

SchismBassist
04-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Soundless, can you scream like this guy? I love this scream. My orginal scream was exactly like Dallas but now I wanna learn how to scream like their new screamer/singer. Also, do you have AIM?

deadpuppy
04-11-2004, 01:57 PM
hey guys, i just wanted to say this thread has helped me se much in my screaming, i have managed to perfect the exact scream i want...i'm really happy with it.

SchismBassist
04-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Bump*age

chris4aker
04-11-2004, 04:07 PM
So will someone please respond to this question so i know which direction to go. I want to scream like christian from blindside or kinda shout/scream like dustin from thrice. Which do i do, the whisper one but push ALOT of air out (which sounds really corky and strange) and i just need practice with it, or do the one where i keep my throat hydrated and just so pretty loud but not for long periods. Which method is the right one?

SchismBassist
04-12-2004, 12:07 PM
JAY! Where are you!?!

Underoath
04-12-2004, 12:28 PM
I've been reading all these pages and got a feel pointers to help my scream. I have a quick song I recorded with me screaming in it that I would like you guys to hear. But soundclick is not allowing me to upload....

Light_Fantastic
04-12-2004, 01:10 PM
JAY! Where are you!?!

Hey SchismBassist...
I am here, but I am in the studio recording the last 7 tracks for our debut CD, so I haven't been able to get in here as much as I have wanted.....

Here is a post from another thread of mine....

90% of all screamers use at least distortion on their screams in the studio & live.
Other effect used are harmonizers, octave dividers, digital delay effects.
they also use tube overdrive distortion to make up that low end growl type scream.

That is why I keep on trying to tell all the younger screamers & singers, this is not done with just the natural voice.
If you try to duplicate all the screams with your natural voice, you will destroy your vocals chords over time.

With this in Mind...I think all younger vocalist should try to build up their singing voice first..with breathing & support exercises, before attempting to scream....& when you do scream , make sure you are warmed up & then don't over do it...if your whole song involves 3 minutes of low end growling or screams, I suggest you use some sort of effects to achieve these type of screams..it will also save your voice....
I will be going back to my LA vocal coach in a few weeks for some refresher courses before my band goes on tour..I will pick her brain for some screaming tips... and SchismBassist, I will check on your stuuf tonight & give you some info on the type of scream you are trying to achieve...
Take Care

Jay

Underoath
04-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Ok, I finally got it. Here is me screaming. I know it's not good quality and I improvised EVERY part of it. Anywho, here it is, click on @_@ http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/wonderbread.htm

Edit: Wait till 1:34 before you start to hear sound. Something happened while I recorded it and it doesnt start till then @_@.

Generals Warning
04-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Ok, I finally got it. Here is me screaming. I know it's not good quality and I improvised EVERY part of it. Anywho, here it is, click on @_@ http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/wonderbread.htm

Edit: Wait till 1:34 before you start to hear sound. Something happened while I recorded it and it doesnt start till then @_@.

hey what effects did u use?

Light_Fantastic
04-12-2004, 04:54 PM
JAY! Where are you!?!

OK..SB.....
I finally got to listen to 36Crazyfists.. On "Skin".this guy has a strong powerful voice...awesome singer...only effect I could hear on his voice was a quantizing effect.. in otherwords wher they thicken the vocal track electronically...
The low end growl.. sounded like him... but he used it sparingly & very tastefully..his phrasing & vocal tone are excellent....

Next I checked out "Slit Wrist Theory"
Again...some digital slapback echo, reverb & double vocal tracks ...
on the chorus..when he screams GTFO....etc...it is him screaming but I hear some very slight digital distortion or modulation..just to make it sound a little more crunchier.... excellent stuff..
With a lot of practice, any good vocalist should be able to sound a lot like this vocalist...
This guy is a pro with a lot of years under his belt...

Keep practicing...rock on...

Jay

Underoath
04-12-2004, 05:18 PM
hey what effects did u use?
None. That is all my real voice.

Generals Warning
04-12-2004, 05:23 PM

well to me it sounds that there is one

SchismBassist
04-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks Jay. At the college they have singing lessons coming up in August. I was wondering if you think I should take them? I believe it's for a week or two and the fee is $200 I believe. What ya think?

Underoath-Listen to it. For an improvised song, it sounded decent. I don't know if you would call it a chorus but when you scream the "Bleed and something ashes part" *Sorry, couldnt make out the words. That sounded awesome man. Doesn't sound like he is using an effect Warning but maybe im wrong.

Light_Fantastic
04-12-2004, 06:19 PM

Underoath...
I heard your track, & I have to tell ya...It hurt my vocal chords to hear you sing like that...
If that was not affected in any way by a distortion effect , then you won't have a voice after singing like that for 12 months....
Trust me, I Have been singing rock & metal for over 20 years...
I have a great growl when I need it..but it took years of training...
Please consider a vocal coach before you go off & screw up your vocal chords. BTW, you have a pretty good tone, when you sing regular....
Start with that & go slowly with the screaming...

Good LUck..
Jay

Light_Fantastic
04-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jay. At the college they have singing lessons coming up in August. I was wondering if you think I should take them? I believe it's for a week or two and the fee is $200 I believe. What ya think?

Underoath-Listen to it. For an improvised song, it sounded decent. I don't know if you would call it a chorus but when you scream the "Bleed and something ashes part" *Sorry, couldnt make out the words. That sounded awesome man. Doesn't sound like he is using an effect Warning but maybe im wrong.

Sb ...ANY singing lessons will always help..make sure you get a qualified vocal coach..& the $200 is worth it.....
I used to pay $80 per hour, and that was back in the early & Mid 80's...so the two week course would definitely be worth it.....
Any investment in your voice, is a good one, since your voice is your instrument...

Keep rockin' SB

Jay

SchismBassist
04-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Nice nice, thanks Jay!

Underoath
04-12-2004, 06:59 PM
If you think that static or whatever is distortion..it's not. I was just singing pretty close to the ****ty mic that I have and it came out like that. JayL it does not bother me throat or anything at all when I scream. I am trying to use my Falsetto(sp?) voice with some push from my diaphram. Am I even doing it right? Also, I would love to take singing lessons but unfortunetly I come from a small town and we don't have anything here. The closest thing I have to singing lessons is trying to match keys with my keyboard...

Light_Fantastic
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
It's hard to tell from that track...
I think the s****y mic was cool cause it gave you some natural disortion , which is cool... I need to hear more of your singing to make a proper analysis.....

In the next 30-60 days, I am working hard to develop an on line rock vocal clinic....it will be
1.Real Cheap for a months worth of lessons
2. Interactive, I will find a way for you to post your voice so I can hear where you are at/ Plus I will post MP3 of lessons you can sing to....
3.I will be giving one on one lessons & also telephone support...
4. I will only take younger vocalist who are very serious .
5. I will only take vocalist who want to sing rock, hard rock, or metal....

My Web Dev is working on the whole thing right now...
SO, I also want to hear from you guys as to what you think would work & be helpful to you on this type of web site...
Thanks,
Jay

Underoath
04-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Wow. That would be great! Everything you mentioned would go very well. I'd surely pay for some lessons. As for my scream, did you like it? honestly?

Light_Fantastic
04-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Yep, I think it needs some work, but you have the basics right.....
I won't BS anyone, I've been doing this 23 years & if you have no talent or natural ability, I won't waste your time or mine...
I Take singing very serious, & I would like to help younger vocalists get the right start in this business....
So, I will keep you posted Underoath.. as soon as I have more info on my web site...
Keep working on your voice....

Jay

Underoath
04-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Will do. I am singing everyday *as we speak* and working on staying in key. Can't wait till this site of yours is up. Thanks for being straight forward aswell :)

EcolliJK
04-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Sb ...ANY singing lessons will always help..make sure you get a qualified vocal coach..& the $200 is worth it.....
I used to pay $80 per hour, and that was back in the early & Mid 80's...so the two week course would definitely be worth it.....
Any investment in your voice, is a good one, since your voice is your instrument...

Keep rockin' SB

Jay

$80 per hour :eek:
wow glad I live in Holland
I Pay $15 a week...
yeah I love that :naughty:

Light_Fantastic
04-13-2004, 08:36 AM
$80 per hour :eek:
wow glad I live in Holland
I Pay $15 a week...
yeah I love that :naughty:

Hey EcolliJK...
That is a very reasonable price for a weekly lesson...
I am thinking of charging $19.95 per month US, and you only have to purchase a month at a time, no contract or long lock in's....
Again for that price, I will be giving a lot of one on one instruction, evaluations,
interactive lessons, & even telephone evaluations...so I think it's a pretty fair price for 30 days of rock vocal coaching...at 1 full lesson per week...

What do you guys think??

Jay

EcolliJK
04-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah
I think that would be a fair price
guess that you'll get a lot of people asking for lessons in the beginning Jay
Because as far as i read it's not quite easy to get a vocal teacher
I think it's kewl your doing this

(yeah nevermind the writing mistakes)

Light_Fantastic
04-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks for you input EcolliJK...
I want to keep the amount of vocal students small..say around 50-60 per month...
If I get a lot more young singers interested, I can always get some help from other Musicians I know & then later down the road, expand to some guitar , bass & drum clinics online, if the rock vocal thing is successful...

Keep Rockin'

Jay

chris4aker
04-13-2004, 05:28 PM
ok i seriously need some help nobody eveer seems to reply to my posts but here it goes. I'gve been tryign to scream for awhile and practicing at it but im always unsatisfied. the closest i've been is when i just went real loud and i made sure not to do it for long periods of time and drink fluids. i've also tried the falsetto/whsiper and pushing alot of air out and it sounds like shat. so which one is correct, and what am i doing wrong? im trying to get a thrice shout or a scream like the used

Underoath
04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
ok i seriously need some help nobody eveer seems to reply to my posts but here it goes. I'gve been tryign to scream for awhile and practicing at it but im always unsatisfied. the closest i've been is when i just went real loud and i made sure not to do it for long periods of time and drink fluids. i've also tried the falsetto/whsiper and pushing alot of air out and it sounds like shat. so which one is correct, and what am i doing wrong? im trying to get a thrice shout or a scream like the used Listen to my recording. I used the whole air/push with my falsetto voice. I am trying to get the whole Used/new Underoath status scream but it's really hard. But I'm trying. Listen and try :)

Light_Fantastic
04-13-2004, 10:31 PM
ok i seriously need some help nobody eveer seems to reply to my posts but here it goes. I'gve been tryign to scream for awhile and practicing at it but im always unsatisfied. the closest i've been is when i just went real loud and i made sure not to do it for long periods of time and drink fluids. i've also tried the falsetto/whsiper and pushing alot of air out and it sounds like shat. so which one is correct, and what am i doing wrong? im trying to get a thrice shout or a scream like the used

Hey Chris4aker, I try to answer as much as I can & I missed your post. Plus I am in the studio right now, so not much free time.
Anyway, you are on the right track...Breathing & vocal exercises, warm up before singing, and keep practicing. In order for me to help you any further, I need to hear you singing. do you have any MP3's or anything recorded?
That would help me see where you are at...also, how old are you & how long have you been singing...
Take Care

Jay

Underoath
04-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Would anyone happen to have a software to change wav. files or any file into MP3 files? I have a song I recorded but soundclick doesn't upload anything but Mp3 files. Thanks.

Light_Fantastic
04-15-2004, 09:06 PM
I use a program called db Power Amp Converter...It converts wav to MP3 & many other things...
If you have cool edit 2.o it also converts all foles to MP3.

I think you can get db Power Amp Converter off Kaazaa

eski
04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/gregbertmusic.htm

just click on the first and only song there, just a quick sample, i added a little bit of distortion, quite a bit of compression. But any tips? am i killing my voice? on the right track? ultimately i want to get a scream similar to the used or finch, so more high end i guess.

Underoath
04-15-2004, 10:24 PM
How the hell do you scream like that? I try so hard but can't achieve it. Hey Jay, I don't have kazaa. Could you maybe send me that AMP converter so i could use it?

SubtleDagger
04-16-2004, 12:06 AM
So, I want to say something.

I couldn't scream for the longest time. I kept trying to get a specific scream out, and I got this raspy whisper that made no noise whatsoever. A few days ago, I figured it all out. Everyone has their own scream. There is a certain pitch you hit (usually in the higher range, but not soprano or anything... just not really low metal growl stuff) with your normal singing voice where you can put a lot of force behind it. It's a little difficult to find, but just try to yell something, like you would if someone couldn't hear you, and put a lot of force and air behind it. I did this and found my scream. Once you find it, mess with the pitch, play with it, just don't overdo it... I near killed my throat by putting too much air behind it. My only problem now is that it's too loud! I have to either turn my mic down or get farther away from it when I do it.

In other words, if you want to scream, don't imitate, originate. Find your own scream and execute.

Underoath
04-16-2004, 12:42 AM
I have my scream. I wouldn't change it, but it is always fun to explore other techniques and see what you can do with those.

Light_Fantastic
04-16-2004, 01:37 AM
How the hell do you scream like that? I try so hard but can't achieve it. Hey Jay, I don't have kazaa. Could you maybe send me that AMP converter so i could use it?

Hey Underoath,
Send me your e mail addy & I'll see how big the file is..
I might have to burn it on a disc & send it to you.
I will check on it tomorrow....

Jay

Light_Fantastic
04-16-2004, 01:38 AM
So, I want to say something.

I couldn't scream for the longest time. I kept trying to get a specific scream out, and I got this raspy whisper that made no noise whatsoever. A few days ago, I figured it all out. Everyone has their own scream. There is a certain pitch you hit (usually in the higher range, but not soprano or anything... just not really low metal growl stuff) with your normal singing voice where you can put a lot of force behind it. It's a little difficult to find, but just try to yell something, like you would if someone couldn't hear you, and put a lot of force and air behind it. I did this and found my scream. Once you find it, mess with the pitch, play with it, just don't overdo it... I near killed my throat by putting too much air behind it. My only problem now is that it's too loud! I have to either turn my mic down or get farther away from it when I do it.

In other words, if you want to scream, don't imitate, originate. Find your own scream and execute.

Excellent Advice SubtleDagger:
Being original with your singing & scream is what you have to focus on...

Keep Rockin'

Jay

Light_Fantastic
04-16-2004, 01:42 AM
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/gregbertmusic.htm

just click on the first and only song there, just a quick sample, i added a little bit of distortion, quite a bit of compression. But any tips? am i killing my voice? on the right track? ultimately i want to get a scream similar to the used or finch, so more high end i guess.

Hey Eski..
You got kind of a Bon Scot AC/DC vocal style going on there only lower...
I am sure I could help you. I think your on the right track, but you need more support & have to open up vocally a little more...
again my online rock vocal clinic is being developed....
I will have sign ups in about 2 more weeks...
the site when up will be www.rock-vocals.com

Good Work...

Jay

Underoath
04-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Jay: My email is Corrosionmetal@yahoo.com . Thanks again :-)

italic zero
04-16-2004, 12:57 PM
I think I need to be taught this in person, I'm stupid. :(

I mean, sure if I shout loud enough my voice will crack up into a hardcore punk kind of scream, but that can't be good for my vocal chords. Working with the falsetto technique I can only do a shriek, when I try to bring the pitch down, it just dies. It also irritated my throat a bit, even with water and honey. So I guess I need to know how to distort my voice without using my throat, as you said. I can support a scream with my diaphram, but how can that actually create the scream sound?

I am a decent baritone singer, and taking voice lessons. My teacher is experienced with classical, jazz, and rock/pop, but not screaming, especially as she's a middle aged woman. I just want the versitility to throw in a scream here and there, maybe something like MJK, Chino, or the guy from the used.

Light_Fantastic
04-16-2004, 01:04 PM
I think I need to be taught this in person, I'm stupid. :(

I mean, sure if I shout loud enough my voice will crack up into a hardcore punk kind of scream, but that can't be good for my vocal chords. Working with the falsetto technique I can only do a shriek, when I try to bring the pitch down, it just dies. It also irritated my throat a bit, even with water and honey. So I guess I need to know how to distort my voice without using my throat, as you said. I can support a scream with my diaphram, but how can that actually create the scream sound?

I am a decent baritone singer, and taking voice lessons. My teacher is experienced with classical, jazz, and rock/pop, but not screaming, especially as she's a middle aged woman. I just want the versitility to throw in a scream here and there, maybe something like MJK, Chino, or the guy from the used.

Hey Italic Zero....

Your more than halfway there, with the vocal lessons, good job...at least you are learning how to sing properly...
Scream technic IS a little harder. There was another thread where someone said, each person's scream is an individual thing, and I tend to agree with that. So you need to find a range you feel comfortable in & try to develop your scream from there..I would have to somehow listen to you with a MP3 or at least over the telephone, to see where the mechanical problem lies.
Let me know if you can post an MP3 somewhere..acapella is cool (no Music)

Keep at it....
Jay

SubtleDagger
04-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah, you can't try for a certain pitch, you have to find the pitch that is most comfortable for you. I can't really duplicate any one person's scream when I do it... I don't sound like Moreno or any hardcore bands specifically, but it sounds individual. I myself don't go into falsetto, I'm sort of right between falsetto and tenor. Like I said, when I first did it, I coughed like crazy, because I thought, "Hey! I can do this!" and put all this air into it. You have to be moderate when you do it. I suggest singing notes normally, but in your own voice. Many people try to sing like other people by using their nose and closing their throat to get a certain pitch. You have to open up your throat and not breathe through your nose (sort of like when you yawn) and sing with your own voice. Then you find a certain pitch you can put a lot of force behind, and there it is.

chris4aker
04-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey Chris4aker, I try to answer as much as I can & I missed your post. Plus I am in the studio right now, so not much free time.
Anyway, you are on the right track...Breathing & vocal exercises, warm up before singing, and keep practicing. In order for me to help you any further, I need to hear you singing. do you have any MP3's or anything recorded?
That would help me see where you are at...also, how old are you & how long have you been singing...
Take Care

Jay

hey Jay thanks for responding. im 16 almost 17 and i've been singing for about 3 years now (regular singing like choir) so i've picked upa few exercises but not really trying to scream until this fall. i will record myself screaming both ways..if u have aol or aol instant messanger it would be nice to talk to u on there and send it through that

lew
04-17-2004, 07:38 AM
thanks a lot for the help, ive been doing those death metal screams for a long time now, but to be honest they sound ****. Ive recently discovered that i had a falsetto voice. Ive not managed to use it fully in a practise or anything, but i'm working on it. thanks again

Iluvmybass
04-17-2004, 11:09 AM
here's a tip:

buy a humidifier and inhale the mist through your nose every chance you get. this takes the water STRAIGHT to your vocal chords as opposed to drinking water, which can take anywhere between 20 minutes and 90 minutes to get to your chords.

remember, what you swallow goes through the esophagus, not through your trachea, which is where your chords are and your inhalation travels...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/1118.htm

Emo_is_Awesome14
04-17-2004, 12:03 PM
im 14 and im learning to scream...i always practice 187 by senses fail cause thats a pretty good song to learn(i think) anyways...teh first time i do, it sounds great...but after the 2nd or 3rd time...it sounds like ****...i dunno why...my screaming get REALLY high pitched(my scream is already high pitched) to where my voice dies out alot...ill try to go drink some water and take a break for about 5 minutes...doesnt help......can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? thanks

italic zero
04-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Hahaha.. I can just imagine going off to the side of the stage for a second between songs, bending down and inhaling some kind of smoky vapor ;)

Iluvmybass
04-17-2004, 05:10 PM
haha, becareful about where you put it or the audience might see and think you're taking a hit or something :D

mikael
04-21-2004, 08:53 PM
I read the post on screaming and I noticed although it describes the scream and the kinda bands that do the screams it doesn't really describe technique ... besides saying "sing from here and push" ... easier said than done.

I've been doin vocals for about 4 or 5 years now and have taken singing lessons and have developed a pretty good "chino" or maynard scream (like he does on ticks and leeches). You could also use this same technique to do screams of the emo kind. I've never been interested in doing the low pitch grunt screams you here in slipknot so I won't be really getting into that... although once you master this scream those one are ridiculous easy to do.

Before you start: Just be carefull that reading this in no way can really prepare you in the way a proffessional instructor can. I highly reccomend singing lessons before you start screaming your head off so you can learn some proper form. But if you're impatient and think you can read instructions carefully err go ahead :)

Alright here goes:

#0 shut your door, or make sure nobodys home, this is pretty important because you can't be shy about this at all, if you do it half assed its gonna sound like ****... also your parents or whoever your living with is gonna think your a fackin psycho. No worries at my house though, they already think im crazy.

#1 take a deep breathe :) and open your mouth, wide motherfacker... nobodys gonna here you if your shy and have your mouth half closed. Practise your breathing every night put a book on your chest and lift it up with your stomach as you breathe in. Eventually try to see if you can breathe in and breathe out only once a minute.

#2 stand up straight and put your shoulders back so your vocal cords are open--i cannot stress this enough, i realise that many singers on stage do not do this but that is because they are so well trained they think they dun have to :) well they're wrong, in the studio when they do it, I'm almost 100% sure they aren't crouching or jumping around. Since you are just starting make sure you do this so you don't **** up your voice.

#3 raise your cheekbones up so it looks like your kinda makin a stupid grinning face. I'm not really sure what this does, but it works, every vocal teacher I've had has told me to do this. If you want to do as little damage to your vocal cords as possible do this.

#4 Practise with a microphone, nobody can sound like they do without a microphone... its the distortion you get through the PA that makes the scream sound good. Plus when you practise with a microphone you get a feel for how loud you actualy have to scream. When you have a mic you'll find you really don't have to scream so loud... thus the reason why a singer can go do shows 7 days a week and not **** up his voice.

Anyways, into the mic, with your falsetto voice (i cannot stress enough that you use your falsetto voice and not your full) , and I know this sounds stupid but try to imagine that your singing out of the temple of your head... and push as hard as you can a scream. It doesn't have to be loud even, you are using a microphone, it just has to be pushed really hard from your throat.

#6 don't get discouraged if you don't get it right away... it takes time. I would sugguest if you haven't already take some vocal lessons... it helps a lot strengthening your falsetto. If you don't have a strong falsetto you'll never be able to scream.

And lastly, pick songs that have easier screams at first. Listen to the breathing of the screams, and try to breathe when they do. Do not try to do something insane like Deftones - Elite LOL I've been screamin like 2 years now and i still can barely get through the whole song without goin red in the face from lack of air. Go for quality over loudness, your scream doesn't have to be loud, you can turn the mic up, as long as it sounds hardcore. The loudness of your scream will come with time. I strongly recommend easy 1 sylable screams first :) I like my own summer.
When he's doin "cooooooomeeee" "shooooveeee" "the suuuuuuunnnn" "asssiidee"

Note: Kurt Cobain "screaming" isn't screaming, its aggresive pitched singing and isn't something you can reallyteach, If you can't hit those notes you can't hit them. Its like asking someone to teach you to have a higher voice. Its true with a lot of practise you can increase your vocal range, but in most cases you are pretty much stuck with what you got. If you have a crummy deep voice like scott stapp of creed lol don't expect to be doing and cobain screams any time soon.

i have heard from some sources that whilst screaming you are using only a tiny bit of breathe so you dont damge your throat, have you heard of it or is that what you kind of mean when you say use falsetto?

Xerxes
04-24-2004, 08:12 AM

There's no technique to that. Yell.

Afi_kid
04-25-2004, 12:32 PM
I wanna try like a mixture of screams, i wanna be ablke to like scream like Wayne Static, the dude from Atreyu, Davey Havok, and George from the Casualties. So yeah, any help on any of the screams would be nice.

osirisblind
04-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey Osirisblind:
Chris # 2 has a very powerful tenor voice...he is basically shouting on key in his chest voice...he has a lot of support. On the two tracks I heard he has a bit of microphone distortion going on...he has a naturally gritty quality to his voice.
80's rock singer Bob Seeger had this gravely quality to his voice for years & ended up with many nodes & needed operations to have them removed..
When you try to get this effect vocally, make sure you keep your throat muscles relaxed & try to push from the diaphram...Again, this is a hard style of singing, so keep on practicing.... no more that 1/2 hour a day to build on this kind of vocal style..until you feel comfortable & not hoarse & pain in the throat after a few songs...

Jay

Thanks, I've been practising that and it's helping a bit but I dont know if I'm doing it right. Could you explain a bit more on how to keep my throat relaxed and push from my diaphragm? Thanks again and I'll try to post a clip if I can.

Underoath
04-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Hey Jay. I can't wait for your site! It comes out this week right?

Light_Fantastic
04-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Hey Jay. I can't wait for your site! It comes out this week right?

Hey Underoath...
We will be putting up the page for sign ups by the end of this week..
the url will be www.rock-vocals.com
Like I said, I can only take 50 students or so....
you can sign up on the pre-launch & guarantee a spot.
I will try to keep the cost for a month of lessons very low, plus we will set up an interactive ftp site when you can get vocal exercises & also leave your vocals for my observation and critique. As we progress with the site, I will take the 10 or 15 most serious students & do some telephone chats & we will have other things going on soon.
I want to advertise the site here on mx but, I want to make sure it goes in the right spot. I guess classifieds.
I will post here when the site is up.I am very excited about getting started.

Take Care,

Jay

Underoath
04-26-2004, 09:38 AM
How can you sign up on the pre-launch?

Light_Fantastic
04-26-2004, 03:00 PM
How can you sign up on the pre-launch?

Hey Underoath,
We will have an e mail address set up on the front page, even before the web site goes live.
Send an e mail with your info, & you will be first in line to get hooked up.
More details will follow.

Jay

immune2u
04-27-2004, 02:17 PM
alright, every time i scream it comes out like real high, mainly 'cause i'm a girl, but then end up wrecking my band mates ear drums, and i think it's easier to scream from the diafrm.

sinkman
04-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah, whats a diaphram or whatever? Im a guy and whenever I scream it comes out high, and it sounds bad, yeah so anything? Im trying to get a scream like the used, finch, a static lullaby, or even thrice so if you could help with that thatd be nice, im really sorry if u already pointed this out but im not sure with all this voicey talk and 13 pages to sort through.

Oh yeah and when I scream it doesnt hurt my throat at all, am I just amazingly tough or am I doing it right without knowing it, im not really using your technique, noones been out of the house for a few days.

Light_Fantastic
04-28-2004, 03:29 AM
Yeah, whats a diaphram or whatever? Im a guy and whenever I scream it comes out high, and it sounds bad, yeah so anything? Im trying to get a scream like the used, finch, a static lullaby, or even thrice so if you could help with that thatd be nice, im really sorry if u already pointed this out but im not sure with all this voicey talk and 13 pages to sort through.

Oh yeah and when I scream it doesnt hurt my throat at all, am I just amazingly tough or am I doing it right without knowing it, im not really using your technique, noones been out of the house for a few days.

Hey Sinkman:
Here is a definition of a diaphram:
A diaphragm is a thin dome-shaped skeletal muscle that separates the thoracic and abdominal cavities. The diaphragm plays an important role in breathing: it contracts with each inspiration, becoming flattened downward and increasing the volume of the thoracic cavity so that air is drawn into the respiratory tract, and then, with expiration, it relaxes and is restored to its dome shape.

When you learn diaphram support, it really is just building up your lower chest muscles to be able to sing & support notes & breathing better.
I will try to find some of the better screaming articles for you & will posts the links soon form this site.

Take Care

Jay